Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!!
Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
THE U.S.CONSTITUTION IS NOW DEAD Fellow Clevelander Andy Borowitz at BorowitzReport tweets "If only 8 more people liked me than Rick Santorum I would put a gun in my mouth." From The BTV "They watch so you don't have to" Department we get a "Happy New Year" greeting from Sick Santorum! Our interpid jen then snags this nugget from CROOKSANDLIARS on New Year's Day David Gregory Pushes Back at Rick Santorum For Lying About the President Not Meeting With Republicans WITH VIDEO! by Heather
- What do you know? We actually got some pushback for once from David Gregory on this week's Meet the Press when a Republican came on the air and just outright lied. GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum was giving the usual spiel about how President Obama is some great divider and doesn't want to work with Republicans -- which frankly, takes a lot of gall after the unprecedented level of vitriol, name calling and obstruction we've seen from the GOP, but then projection does seem to be the one thing they're good at -- and then claimed that Obama had hasn't met with Republicans in six months. As Gregory reminded Santorum, the debt ceiling talks "over the summer were a constant set of meetings, so that can't be accurate." To which Santorum immediately backtracked and said that it was a few months since he's met with them instead. Sadly what we did not get from David Gregory here is pointing out the record number of filibusters and Republicans refusing to vote for things that they claim they once supported and the fact that they're more worried about making President Obama a one term president than ever cooperating with him on anything. Instead he allowed Santorum to rant and rave about how the President hasn't been talking nicely enough to them, while in the mean time they're out calling him a Socialist and a Marxist and turning the definition of "class warfare" on its head when it's their party that's waging it. Transcript below the fold.
- • 8) HEALTH REFORM WILL KILL MY CHILD: Santorum, who claims that Obamacare motivated him to run for president, told reporters in April that his daughter Bella — who was born with a genetic abnormality — wouldn’t survive in a country with “socialized medicine.” “Children like Bella are not given the treatment that other children are given.”
- • 5) OBAMA SHOULD OPPOSE ABORTION BECAUSE HE’S BLACK: During an appearance on Christian television in January, Santorum said he was surprised that President Obama didn’t know when life began — given his skin color. “I find it almost remarkable for a black man to say ‘now we are going to decide who are people and who are not people,” he explained.
- • 7) ABORTION EXCEPTIONS TO PROTECT WOMEN’S HEALTH ARE ‘PHONY’: While discussing his track record as a champion of the partial birth abortion ban in June, Santorum dismissed exceptions other senators wanted to carve out to protect the life and health of mothers, calling such exceptions “phony.” “They wanted a health exception, which of course is a phony exception which would make the ban ineffective,” he said.
Here's some Schadenfreude News Two Ex-Scott Walker Staffers Arrested In Ongoing Investigation An expansive “John Doe” corruption investigation targeting employees and former employees of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) has led to its first arrests today, nabbing three people, including two former aides to Walker. The investigation centers around Milwaukee County workers during Walker’s tenure their as executive, and has previously involved an FBI raid on the home of a fourth person, one of Walker’s top aides.
At George Washington's blog Psychopaths Caused the Financial Crisis … And They Will Do It Again and Again Unless They Are Removed From Power ...Unless We Remove the Psychopaths from Power, They Will Cause More and More Destruction. The inmates are still running the asylum. Anyone who knows Jamie Dimon, Lloyd Blankfein or the other Wall Street “leaders” can tell you that they haven’t changed a bit since 2008. They are not repentent for their role in the financial crisis. They don’t feel bad that the taxpayers have had to bail them out again and again … and that they have used that money to enrich themselves and stick it to the little guy.
The Daily Bell has an Exclusive Interview with Catherine Austin Fitts on Wall Street's Corruption, the Austrian School and Who's 'Really' in Charge Good item!
And AmericanBanker predicts Jamie Dimon Will Have His Comeuppance in 2012
Zerohedge has a Guest Post: Eight Simple Truths You Need To Know About 2012 submitted by Simon Black from Sovereign Man. Yesterday we discussed certain events that, in my view, are nearly mathematical certainties. Things like a restructuring of public pensions and Social Security in Europe and the US. Western governments blocking Internet and mobile networks. War. The US government being forced to issue debt in a foreign currency. All of these events are underpinned by a simple premise: 1) Public and private debts included, most western nations are insolvent. Big time. .... Read on for the other seven!
At NakedCapitalism Yves Smith posts Philip Pilkington: The Reactionary Mind – The Truth About Conservatism; An Interview with Corey Robin Part I Well worth the whole read; here's just a small snip.
PP: Interesting point about the conservative ideologue being an outsider. That brings to a point that you raise in your book which I found fascinating as it really chimed with my personal experience: namely, that conservatism is the ‘politics of the loser’. In talking about this realistically I think we risk opening up criticism on two fronts: on the left, if we are frank, we break the pact of political correctness and open ourselves up to criticism in that vein; while the right will simply accuse us of getting our political knives out. But no matter because I think this should be spoken about quite clearly. Conservatism is an ideology that seems to appeal to people with a chip on their shoulder. That sounds strange because this is usually the argument raised against the left; most profoundly in the Nietzschean vein of the priest appealing to the ressentiment of the masses. But in my experience – and I’ve spoken with others who move in such circles in private and they agree with me – conservative ideologues are often people with enormous chips on their shoulders. Many are afflicted with some disadvantage or other – or, at least, something that they seem to think a disadvantage. .... It’s often people of this disposition that stand up in defence of power. And there seems to be some sort of psychology behind it that’s not often talked about – the phrase ‘identification with the aggressor’ certainly comes to mind, for example. How deeply does this psychology run in conservative doctrine? And how do you make sense of it?
CR: Again, I want to stress that mine is not a psychological theory of conservatism. I’m leery of speculating about the psychic states that lead men and women to subscribe to one theory or another, particularly since so many of those states seem like universal experiences, elements of the human condition that can’t be limited to one set of the population or another. But I will say this: the sensibility you describe – experiencing or identifying oneself as a victim — is a consistent feature of conservative thought. Regardless of whether the ideologue or camp follower of conservatism sees him or herself as a victim, the idea of victimhood plays a critical part in conservatism. Going back to Burke. Marie Antoinette is the first great victim of the conservative canon. The sovereign who Joseph de Maistre recommends be restored to power once the counterrevolution prevails – someone Maistre describes as being schooled in the ways of adversity, who’s been brought low by fortune and thus learned a thing or two – he’s a victim (and Maistre recommends him to power on the basis of that victimhood). William Graham Sumner’s “forgotten man” is another victim. Nietzsche’s master class, in fact, is a victim. So is Nixon’s silent majority. And so on. ..... But as you say, it speaks for the loser not by democratizing society – making things more equal – but by making it more elite, more privilege, more unequal.
Matt Taibbi at Rolling Stone offers Iowa: The Meaningless Sideshow Begins In the wake of the Tea Party, the Occupy movement, and a dozen or more episodes of real rebellion on the streets, in the legislatures of cities and towns, and in state and federal courthouses, this presidential race now feels like a banal bureaucratic sideshow to the real event – the real event being a looming confrontation between huge masses of disaffected citizens on both sides of the aisle, and a corrupt and increasingly ideologically bankrupt political establishment, represented in large part by the two parties dominating this race. Let’s put it this way. What feels more like a real news story – Newt Gingrich calling Mitt Romney a liar for the ten millionth time, or this sizzling item that just hit the wires by way of the Montana Supreme Court:
- HELENA — The Montana Supreme Court restored the state's century-old ban on direct spending by corporations on political candidates or committees in a ruling Friday that interest groups say bucks a high-profile U.S. Supreme Court decision granting political speech rights to corporations… A group seeking to undo the Citizens United decision lauded the Montana high court, with its co-founder saying it was a "huge victory for democracy." "With this ruling, the Montana Supreme Court now sets up the first test case for the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit its Citizens United decision, a decision which poses a direct and serious threat to our democracy," John Bonifaz, of Free Speech For People, said in a statement.
Will Potter at GreenIsTheNewRed reveals FBI Says Activists Who Investigate Factory Farms Can Be Prosecuted as Terrorists
The FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force has kept files on activists who expose animal welfare abuses on factory farms and recommended prosecuting them as terrorists, according to a new document uncovered through the Freedom of Information Act. This new information comes as the Center for Constitutional Rights has filed a lawsuit challenging the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) as unconstitutional because its vague wording has had a chilling effect on political activism. This document adds to the evidence demonstrating that the AETA goes far beyond property destruction, as its supporters claim. The 2003 FBI file details the work of several animal rights activists who used undercover investigation to document repeated animal welfare violations. The FBI special agent who authored the report said they “illegally entered buildings owned by [redacted] Farm… and videotaped conditions of animals.” The animal activists caused “economic loss” to businesses, the FBI says. And they also openly rescued several animals from the abusive conditions. This was not done covertly in the style of underground groups like the Animal Liberation Front — it was an act of non-violent civil disobedience and, as the FBI agent notes, the activists distributed press releases and conducted media interviews taking responsibility for their actions. Based on these acts — trespassing in order to photograph and videotape abuses on factory farms — the agent concludes there “is a reasonable indication” that the activists “have violated the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, 18 USC Section 43 (a).” Click here to view the FBI document. The file was uncovered through a FOIA request by Ryan Shapiro, who is one of the activists mentioned. [Please note that this document has additional redactions in order to protect the identities of the other activists, at their request.] Shapiro is now a doctoral candidate at MIT. “It is deeply sobering to see one’s name in an FBI file proposing terrorism charges,” he said in an email. “It is even more sobering to realize the supposedly terroristic activities in question are merely exposing the horrific cruelty of factory farms, educating the public about what goes on behind those closed doors, and openly rescuing a few animals from one of those farms as an act of civil disobedience.”
But then shouldn't the FDA be looking into these practices? The Department of Agriculture? The CDC? Somebody? Anybody? In a related story our intrepid Maddy finds out that the FDA Gives Up on Antibiotic Restrictions in Livestock by Tom Laskawy The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) pulled a Scrooge move just before Christmas. The agency published an entry in the Federal Register declaring that it will end its attempt at mandatory restrictions on the use of antibiotics in animal agriculture. The agency isn’t advertising the shift, though: This news would have remained a secret if not for Maryn McKenna’s Superbug blog over at Wired. McKenna, who specializes in writing about antibiotics and their link to pathogens, caught the Federal Register notice. .... Inaction has consequences: According to the vast majority of microbiologists and public health experts, restrictions on agricultural uses are key to preserving the effectiveness of antibiotics as well as to preventing the spread of antibiotic-resistant bacteria like MRSA and salmonella Heidelberg (cause of last summer’s record-breaking ground turkey recall). And it’s no small dosage: Every year 29 million pounds of antibiotics are given to animals — often via their feed. That figure represents 80 percent of all antibiotics used in the U.S. Consumer groups like the Union of Concerned Scientists and the Pew Charitable Trusts have been calling for an end to the practice for years. But it’s not just outsiders who are fed up with the agency’s work on this issue; the administration’s own watchdog group, the Government Accountability Office, recently gave the agency a failing grade in the subject. In many ways, this issue parallels the ongoing battle over BPA, the endocrine-disrupting chemical used in food packaging, plastics, and register receipts. When finally pushed to ban the chemical, the FDA declared that “its hands were tied” by regulatory hurdles and jurisdictional questions. Yet soon after, the industry lobbying group American Chemical Council responded to consumer anger and petitioned the agency to go ahead and ban BPA. Only then did the FDA indicate it would follow through. In other words, the FDA is admitting that as long as the industry opposes it, the agency can’t keep antibiotics out of our meat and dairy products (nor, for that matter, can it ensure that antibiotics will remain effective). It’s also admitting it has no real power over the industries it regulates. If the agency continues to favor industry’s concerns over the public health, it begs the question: Who exactly is looking out for us? BTV's msgeaux exclaims "Can you say serious cases of dysbiosis in all people eating the treated animals? Destroying the beneficial microbes in the human gut leads to diseases such as dyspraxia, autism, ADD, ADHD, Dyslexia, Depression, Schizophrenia, Autoimmune diseases, serious immune system disfunction, etc. 85% of your immune system is in the gut and is provided by the gut's beneficial bacteria, fungi, yeast, and many more microbes unidentified by man. The USDA has a collection of over 95,000 species of beneficial microbes in store. This is a travesty of immense proportions." BTV's jen chimes in "Yup. Federal agencies, also owned and controlled by big money. The more light is shined on big money's influence on governent, to the great detriment of society and the environment, the less they're going to be able to stay in control. If only people had the means to completely boycott mass produced, corporate meat and vegetables, and buy only organic foods, this chit would change immediately. "
ASTROTURF ALERT from ThinkProgress The 1 Percent Solution: Koch Brothers Bankroll Right-Wing ThinkProgress Clone This morning in Politico, Ben Smith breaks the news that the Koch Brothers and others on the right are launching a new organization explicitly modeled after ThinkProgress:
- Impressed by the effectiveness of the liberal Center for American Progress, a group of conservative journalists and operatives are preparing to engage in their own sincerest form of flattery – launching an advocacy group with a similar name and mission but a very different target. Part assault on CAP and part homage, the Center for American Freedom’s goal is to wage a well-funded assault on the Obama White House and the liberal domination of partisan online media. Based in Washington, it will have an annual budget of “several million dollars,” according to its chairman, Michael Goldfarb, and will house a new conservative online news outlet, the Washington Free Beacon, edited by former Weekly Standard writer Matthew Continetti. It will also include a campaign-style war room led by two former chiefs of the Republican National Committee’s vaunted research operation.
ASTROTURF ALERT II: Israeli students to get $2,000 to spread state propaganda on Facebook reports Ali Abunimah on Electronic Intefada The National Union of Israeli Students (NUIS) has become a full-time partner in the Israeli government’s efforts to spread its propaganda online and on college campuses around the world. NUIS has launched a program to pay Israeli university students $2,000 to spread pro-Israel propaganda online for 5 hours per week from the “comfort of home.” The union is also partnering with Israel’s Jewish Agency to send Israeli students as missionaries to spread propaganda in other countries, for which they will also receive a stipend. This active recruitment of Israeli students is part of Israel’s orchestrated effort to suppress the Palestinian solidarity movement under the guise of combating “delegitimization” of Israel and anti-Semitism.
The involvement of the official Israeli student union as well as Haifa University, Tel Aviv University, Ben-Gurion University and Sapir College in these state propaganda programs will likely bolster Palestinian calls for the international boycott of Israeli academic institutions. ... The paid scholarship will allow them to get training and then work from home for five hours per week for a year to “refute” what it calls “misinformation” about Israel on social networking sites. .... What is completely missing from the program is any indication that criticism of Israel could be valid. Rather the National Union of Israeli Students apparently seeks to indoctrinate Israeli students that every criticism of Israel is “hate” and “anti-Semitism” and that the Internet should be seen as a battlefield on which they are foot soldiers. -Using e-learning tools for government propaganda- An interesting aspect of the NUIS program is that it uses the common open source virtual learning environment Moodle as its interface with program participants. This interface can be found at students.digitalchange.co.il. Whereas Moodle was designed for education – to spread mind-opening learning beyond the constraints of geography – the Israeli innovation here is to use it for mind-narrowing propaganda: getting students to be uncritical, to not think for themselves, but rather to spread Israel’s state-sponsored propaganda. See the world, spread more propaganda!
Dave Lindorff writes for OpEdNews.com Killing Kids is So American discussing "another point, that gets beyond this one case of overkill by police: the double standard of concern when it is an American kid and when it is foreign kids who are killed." (WARNING: graphic pic at top of story).
OCCUPY UPDATE: For those who relied on Tim Pool for some excellent live streaming of the OWS on the Ustream channel TheOther99 please read this Tim Pool short story "Tim Pool of TheOther99 on today's events. "
NYT published a study on Upward Mobility in Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs ... At least five large studies in recent years have found the United States to be less mobile than comparable nations. A
project led by Markus Jantti, an economist at a Swedish university, found that 42 percent of American men raised in the bottom fifth of incomes stay there as adults. That shows a level of persistent disadvantage much higher than in Denmark (25 percent) and Britain (30 percent) — a country famous for its class constraints. Meanwhile, just 8 percent of American men at the bottom rose to the top fifth. That compares with 12 percent of the British and 14 percent of the Danes. Despite frequent references to the United States as a classless society, about 62 percent of Americans (male and female) raised in the top fifth of incomes stay in the top two-fifths, according to research by the Economic Mobility Project of the Pew Charitable Trusts. Similarly, 65 percent born in the bottom fifth stay in the bottom two-fifths.
By emphasizing the influence of family background, the studies not only challenge American identity but speak to the debate about inequality. While liberals often complain that the United States has unusually large income gaps, many conservatives have argued that the system is fair because mobility is especially high, too: everyone can climb the ladder. Now the evidence suggests that America is not only less equal, but also less mobile.... Very disturbing. How's that "trickle down economics" working out for you now?
David Sirota writes about "Words we don’t want to lose" By far, the laziest, most vapid articles annually published during this post-holiday season are lists of the past year’s top 10 words and aphorisms. Admittedly, the sloth of such an endeavor tempts me. But as a new dad obsessed with my 1-year-old son’s future, I think I’ve got a more worthy list to add to the pile — one of current words and phrases that my kid may never know because they might end up as relics of a lost vernacular. Here are those harrowing 10. I hope I’m wrong but fear I’m not.
WHITEOUT PRESS has this "hair-on-fire" article US Troops going to Israel In one of the most blacked-out stories in America right now, the US military is preparing to send thousands of US troops, along with US Naval anti-missile ships and accompanying support personnel, to Israel. It took forever to find a second source for confirmation of this story and both relatively mainstream media outlets are in Israel. With one source saying the military deployment and corresponding exercises are to occur in January, the source providing most of the details suggests it will occur later this spring. Calling it not just an “exercise”, but a “deployment”, the Jerusalem Post quotes US Lt.-Gen Frank Gorenc, Commander of the US Third Air Force based in Germany. The US Commander visited Israel two weeks ago to confirm details for “the deployment of several thousand American soldiers to Israel.” In an effort to respond to recent Iranian threats and counter-threats, Israel announced the largest ever missile defense exercise in its history. Now, it’s reported that the US military, including the US Navy, will be stationed throughout Israel, also taking part. Also confirming the upcoming US-Israeli military missile exercises is JTA.org - 'global news service of the Jewish people'. In their account, they report, 'Last week, plans for Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, to visit Israel in January were leaked to Israeli media; his visit likely will coincide with the largest-ever joint U.S.-Israel anti-missile exercise'. ... In preparation for anticipated Iranian missile attacks upon Israel, the US is reportedly bringing its THAAD, Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, and ship-based Aegis ballistic missile systems to Israel. The US forces will join Israeli missile defense systems like the Patriot and Arrow. The deployment comes with “the ultimate goal of establishing joint task forces in the event of a large-scale conflict in the Middle East”....
We have no more Constitution in any meaningful sense. It had a darn good run.
R.I.P. US Constitution
1887 - 2012
Esteemed George Washington University Constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley proclaims on his blog Final Curtain: Obama Signs Indefinite Detention of Citizens Into Law As Final Act of 2011
President Barack Obama rang in the New Year by signing the NDAA law with its provision allowing him to indefinitely detain citizens. It was a symbolic moment to say the least. With Americans distracted with drinking and celebrating, Obama signed one of the greatest rollbacks of civil liberties in the history of our country . . . and citizens partied only blissfully into the New Year. Ironically, in addition to breaking his promise not to sign the law, Obama broke his promise on signing statements and attached a statement that he really does not want to detain citizens indefinitely.
Obama insisted that he signed the bill simply to keep funding for the troops. It was a continuation of the dishonest treatment of the issue by the White House since the law first came to light. As discussed earlier, the White House told citizens that the President would not sign the NDAA because of the provision. That spin ended after sponsor Sen. Carl Levin (D., Mich.) went to the floor and disclosed that it was the White House that insisted that there be no exception for citizens in the indefinite detention provision.
The latest claim is even more insulting. You do not “support our troops” by denying the principles for which they are fighting. They are not fighting to consolidate authoritarian powers in the President. The “American way of life” is defined by our Constitution and specifically the Bill of Rights. Moreover, the insistence that you do not intend to use authoritarian powers does not alter the fact that you just signed an authoritarian measure. It is not the use but the right to use such powers that defines authoritarian systems.
The almost complete failure of the mainstream media to cover this issue is shocking. Many reporters have bought into the spin of the Obama Administration as they did the spin over torture by the Bush Administration. Even today reporters refuse to call waterboarding torture despite the long line of cases and experts defining waterboarding as torture for decades. On the NDAA, reporters continue to mouth the claim that this law only codifies what is already the law. That is not true. The Administration has fought any challenges to indefinite detention to prevent a true court review. Moreover, most experts agree that such indefinite detention of citizens violates the Constitution.
There are also those who continue the long-standing effort to excuse Obama’s horrific record on civil liberties by either blaming others or the times. One successful myth is that there is an exception for citizens. The White House is saying that changes to the law made it unnecessary to veto the legislation. That spin is facially ridiculous. The changes were the inclusion of some meaningless rhetoric after key amendments protecting citizens were defeated. The provision merely states that nothing in the provisions could be construed to alter Americans’ legal rights. Since the Senate clearly views citizens are not just subject to indefinite detention but even execution without a trial, the change offers nothing but rhetoric to hide the harsh reality. THe Administration and Democratic members are in full spin — using language designed to obscure the authority given to the military. The exemption for American citizens from the mandatory detention requirement (section 1032) is the screening language for the next section, 1031, which offers no exemption for American citizens from the authorization to use the military to indefinitely detain people without charge or trial.
Obama could have refused to sign the bill and the Congress would have rushed to fund the troops. Instead, as confirmed by Sen. Levin, the White House conducted a misinformation campaign to secure this power while portraying Obama as some type of reluctant absolute ruler, or as Obama maintains a reluctant president with dictatorial powers.
Most Democratic members joined their Republican colleagues in voting for this unAmerican measure. Some Montana citizens are moving to force the removal of these members who they insist betrayed their oaths of office and their constituents. Most citizens however are continuing to treat the matter as a distraction from the holiday cheer.
For civil libertarians, the NDAA is our Mayan moment. 2012 is when the nation embraced authoritarian powers with little more than a pause between rounds of drinks.
So here is a resolution better than losing weight this year . . . make 2012 the year you regained your rights.
Forbes has this headline President Obama Signed the National Defense Authorization Act - Now What? by E.D. Kain, Contributor For every story of police abuse I’ve read, there’s another story about corruption and violence exposed by something as simple as a camera phone. But can technology help us overcome truly pernicious legislation like the National Defense Authorization Act recently signed by the president? The National Defense Authorization Act greatly expands the power and scope of the federal government to fight the War on Terror, including codifying into law the indefinite detention of terrorism suspects without trial. Under the new law the US military has the power to carry out domestic anti-terrorism operations on US soil. “The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it,” the president said in a statement. “I have signed this bill despite having serious reservations with certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation and prosecution of suspected terrorists.” Worse, the NDAA authorizes the military to detain even US citizens under the broad new anti-terrorism provisions provided in the bill, once again without trial. ....
Bob Alexander opines at tvnewslies From now on … Our Biggest Mistake is Believing We Are Free ...Fast forward to December 31, 2011 when Reader Supported News editor Marc Ash wrote, “President Obama today signed the highly controversial Defense Spending Bill. The National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), with its so-called Homeland Battlefield provisions, allows, according to many legal scholars, the indefinite detention of US citizens by the US military. What is most striking is a lengthy signing statement by Obama, in which he maintains his reservations about the Homeland Battlefield provisions, saying, 'I have signed this bill despite having serious reservations with certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation, and prosecution of suspected terrorists.' His defense of civil liberties in the signing statement was passionate. Nonetheless, at the same moment, he signed the bill into law.” So as of now … anyone … anywhere … can be detained indefinitely by order of the President of the United States. Obama said. “I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens.” But what he just signed says he can. We just have to trust him … and all future presidents from now on. Florida Democratic representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz says she’ll be working with other Democrats to repeal the Homeland Battlefield provisions as soon as Congress reconvenes. Good luck with that one. What are the chances a Republican controlled house will repeal provisions it had already passed in a 283 to 136 vote? If the provisions are not repealed, or if the president changes his mind and decides to use the law he signed … then any of us could end up like Al-Jazeera journalist Sami Al-Hajj. He was arrested in Pakistan on December 15, 2001 and detained at Guantánamo for over 6 years. According to documents published by Wikileaks, the government wanted Al-Hajj “to provide information on the al-Jazeera News Network's training program, telecommunications equipment, and newsgathering operations.” He was beaten, sexually assaulted… and released without charge on May 1, 2008. We are all now officially … small prey animals. We have the same rights a field mouse has against a hawk. Prey animals can’t get a lawyer or a trial. Prey animals get eaten. So let’s kick off The New Year with what we know about Late Great The United States. ... Read on at tvnewslies!
Naomi Wolf explains how "State and corporate actors everywhere are learning how to repress protesters while maintaining democratic facades" in
The streets of 2012 ... What does the New Year hold for the global wave of protest that erupted in 2011? Did the surge of anger that began in Tunisia crest in lower Manhattan, or is 2012 likely to see an escalation of the politics of dissent? The answers are alarming, but quite predictable: We are likely to see much greater centralisation of top-down suppression - and a rash of laws around the developed and developing world that restrict human rights. But we are also likely to see significant grassroots reaction. What we are witnessing in the drama of increasingly globalised protest and repression is the subplot that many cheerleaders for neoliberal globalisation never addressed: the power of globalised capital to wreak havoc with the authority of democratically elected governments. From the perspective of global corporate interests, closed societies like China are more business-friendly than troublesome democracies, where trade unions, high standards of human-rights protection, and a vigorous press increase costs. All over the world, the pushback against protest looks similar, suggesting that state and corporate actors are learning "best practices" for repressing dissent while maintaining democratic facades. .... Finally, in the US, the National Defence Authorisation Act, enacted by Congress in December, allows the president to suspend due process for US citizens, detain them indefinitely and render them for torture. One should not be surprised to see similar legislation adopted in democracies worldwide. Not only are laws criminalising previously legal dissent, organising, and reporting being replicated in advanced democracies; so are violent tactics against protesters, backed by the increasing push in countries with long traditions of civil policing to militarise law enforcement.....
WATCH Lifting the Veil movie "Barack Obama and the failure of capitalist 'democracy' " on Vimeo!
Is this not an abrogation of the U.S. Constitution by a freakin "alleged" constitutional lawyer (yeah you go see if you can dig up any records of The Great 0! attending Columbia or anywhere else. YOU WOULD THINK any college would BOAST about their graduate becoming pResident, NO?) Especially from the self-proclaimed "most transparent administration" EVER!
We're calling BULLSHIT. Is this not an abrogation of Congress's oath to "protect" the Constitution? Is it Treasonous?
With all the chaos going on worldwide we turn introspective with our LAST WORD from Dana Mrkich at her Evolution Revolution blog. (h/t BTV contributor lsophia) This year integrity and authenticity override fear.
January 2012 Monthly Visions: Expect More
- .... This is the year that we show the world that our ‘crazy’ ways actually work, and that in fact the old ways of working is what’s crazy! It is the year that many conscious souls who have not been able to find their place in the mainstream will come out of hiding as if an inner alarm has gone off saying ‘get out there’. More people will be asking for, and needing, assistance to understand the higher energies that are coming in and the resulting changes occurring to them and around them. You will be shining your light brighter than ever before, but this won’t be coming anymore from a ‘I have to save the world’ mentality. As you shine your light, you will help others find their own light. It’s like being in a dark forest with a huge torch, so that others can look down and find their own torch that has been on them (in them) the whole time. One has to enter the new reality from a space of self-empowerment, but that doesn’t mean we are on our own – support is available for anyone who asks in whatever form they need it. Looking down on humanity from above, it’s going to look like the scene when you fly over a city just as sun sets – millions of little lights all sparking up one at a time. It is beautiful and magical.
In many ways it will seem like a year of contradictions. Every day we will be immersed in more and more high frequency energy, giving us more support than ever before to embody our true, divine natures, create magical lives and co-create a magnificent world. At the same time there is less and less energy supporting the ways of the old world, and so we will witness a lot of collapsing systems and structures that will be experienced as either cause for celebration or cause for despair, depending on which side of the reality coin you predominantly reside in. The two realities are like a sticker peeling away from a piece of paper. They have co-existed for a long time but now that the peeling away has begun there is no turning back, there is no ‘sticking it back together’. As the sticker peels further away from the paper, we may experience it as a feeling of disconnection and detachment from the old reality, and those still residing there. It can at times feel like there is a movie playing somewhere, but you know it isn’t real and if you don’t want to watch it you simply don’t tune in to that channel. This doesn’t mean we ignore people’s genuine suffering and hardship – quite conversely we may find ourselves more and more wanting to be out there on the ground working actively toward social reform and assisting with humanitarian efforts. Rather, we will feel no connection to people engaging in old dramas, and we will see right through the facade of news broadcasts, political speeches and perspectives given to us by the media. It will feel like we are watching a fictitious movie because in reality we are.
Now that it is time to re-enter the light, a lot of people will be shocked by the amount of deception and restriction humanity has endured. We will witness one revelation after the other across all areas including politics, health, science, religion, economy, energy and other-planetary beings. It will be hard for many people to digest the fact that the minority have held knowledge about free energy technology and health cures for decades, have deliberately created wars and repressed truth simply because it benefitted them to do so despite the detrimental effect on others. For a heart-centred person, which most of humanity are, it is inconceivable to think that someone with a cure for cancer for example or the ability to ensure all people have access to electricity and running water, would repress this information for the sake of making more money or gaining more power, yet we’ll discover that there are such people. We will also (eventually) discover that this minority were being used in the same way they were using us by some of the less nice other planetary beings, being promised untold power in exchange for selling out earth and humanity. However it is not our destiny to be sold in this way, and thus those beings also have underestimated both us and those who protect us.
The so called Arab Spring and Occupy Movement are not random events, they are the beginnings of something we will see increase: the uprising of a humanity who have had enough. We are all now active participants in an evolution revolution triggered by our growing awareness that something is very wrong and needs to be put right, and triggered by the awakening of our true selves and authentic power. The world is not ending in 2012, the illusion is ending. In its place a new reality will be revealed, a new humanity will emerge and a new world will be born. These are truly special times.
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
»»» Year of Global Uprisings Year of Global Uprisings, from the Arab Spring to Occupy Wall Street: A Special Look Back at 2011 Jan 2, 2012
»»» John Nichols, Washington correspondent for The Nation @ Democracy NOW! Super PACs, Occupy Iowa Protests and a Surging Rick Santorum: Iowa GOP Caucus Begins 2012 Race Jan 3, 2012
»»» Thomas Frank @ Democracy NOW! "Pity the Billionaire": Thomas Frank on the "Unlikely Comeback of the Right" Ahead of Iowa Caucus Jan 3, 2012
»»» Iowa Caucus Discussion @ Democracy NOW! Santorum’s Emergence Signals Divided GOP Base While Paul Gains from Dems’ Disenchantment with Obama Jan 4, 2012
»»» Lawrence Lessig @ Democracy NOW! As States Take on Citizens United, Lawrence Lessig Offers Bold Plan to Get Money Out of Politics Jan 4, 2012
»»» Robert Weissman, president of Public Citizen @ Democracy NOW! Defying GOP and Eying Re-Election, Obama Makes Bold Recess Pick of Cordray for Consumer Bureau Jan 5, 2012
»»» Bob Wieckowski, Melissa Mark-Viverito & Robert Weissman @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Citizens United Backlash Grows from Cali. to NYC Urging Congress to Overturn Corporate Personhood Jan 5, 2012
»»» Ralph Isenberg, Reverend Peter Johnson & Jacqueline Stevens WATCH NOW Deportation of U.S. Teen to Colombia Latest Failure of Immigration System Jan 6, 2012
»»» Mark Provost WATCH NOW Occupy New Hampshire Member on His Exchange with Mitt Romney over Support for Corporate Personhood Jan 6, 2012
»»» Buddy Roemer WATCH NOW Buddy Roemer: GOP Pres. Candidate Who Backs Occupy, Campaign Finance Reform, Excluded from Debates Jan 6, 2012
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW The F Word: Iron Lady: The Margaret Thatcher Movie We Don't Need In the new bio-pic, Margaret Thatcher's iron isn't just rusty, it's melted down into something depoliticized and personal. The Iron Lady give us Thatcher -- The ABBA Version. It's the last thing we need
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» NFL Wild Card Playoffs Texans and Saints move on! Falcons @ Giants & Broncos @ Steelers on Sunday!
»»» College Bowl Games BCS Title Game No. 1 LSU (13-0) vs. No. 2 Alabama (11-1) Monday on ESPN 8:30 pm (Now why wouldn't any over-the-air broadcast network show this game? Hmmmm)
»»» NBA on TNT! Double-header Thursday! Knicks @ Grizzlies 8 pm et then Magic @ Warriors 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms “the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”
When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
October2011.org Sign the Petition to Get the 99% Deficit Proposal Heard in Congress
- Please SIGN THE PETITION in support of the "99%'s Deficit Proposal" and plan direct actions to tell the Super Committee that the 99% have better solutions to our nation's crises. You can plan your own action at your Congressmember's office or join us in Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC for marches to Capitol Hill. Check our calendar for announcements.
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.org SOPA If you've been living under an Internet-free rock the past couple of weeks, you might have managed to miss the steady drumbeat of opposition to HR 3261, the so-called Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). Then again, if you've been living under an Internet-free rock, you've already had a preview of what we're facing if SOPA goes into effect. AmericanCensorship.org has pulled together an infographic that explains in very basic terms the services and sites that are at greatest risk from SOPA here: Infographic: Effects of the Internet Blacklist Bill (SOPA). More info at American Censorship Day READ Internet Censorship: Not Today, Not Tomorrow SIGN NOW! Internet censorship is coming to America. It’s in the form of a bill in Congress that gives corporations unprecedented power to blacklist websites at will. If passed, the “Stop Online Piracy Act,” or SOPA (HR 3261), could rip apart the open fabric of the Internet. People could see their websites disappear from the Internet for a “crime” as innocent as posting a video of themselves singing along to a favorite song. Sign this petition NOW! Keep BTV and YOUR blog alive! Listen to Sam Seder with Tim Karr of Free Press on Net Neutrality [11•10•11] UPDATE: Bypass SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) DNS Blocking with DeSopa 1.1 A new anti-SOPA add-on for Firefox, titled “DeSopa” is such a counter measure.When installed, users can click a single button to resolve a blocked domain via foreign DNS servers, bypassing all domestic DNS blockades and allowing the user to browse the site though the bare IP-address (if supported).“I feel that the general public is not aware of the gravity of SOPA and Congress seems like they are about to cater to the special interests involved, to the detriment of Internet, for which I and many others live and breathe,” DeSopa developer T Rizk told....
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net And Alan Grayson is running again in FL-8! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org UPDATE! Manning-Lamo Chat Logs Revealed at wired.com plus The Deeply Personal Details in New Bradley Manning Chat Logs and Bradley Manning Support Network Much more at link.
UPDATE! BRADLEY MANNING UPDATE: Robert Parry Exclusive America’s Debt to Bradley Manning So, it was useful to examine the WikiLeaks documents regarding the election of the new IAEA leader in 2009 to understand why this flip may have occurred. What those classified State Department cables show is that the IAEA’s new director general, Japanese diplomat Yukiya Amano, credited his victory largely to U.S. government support and promptly stuck his hand out for U.S. money. Further, Amano left little doubt that he would side with the United States in its confrontation with Iran and that he would even meet secretly with Israeli officials regarding their purported evidence on Iran’s nuclear program, despite the fact that Israel is arguably the world’s preeminent rogue nuclear state and rejects IAEA inspections of its own nuclear sites. According to U.S. embassy cables from Vienna, Austria, the site of IAEA’s headquarters, American diplomats in 2009 were cheering the prospect that Amano would advance U.S. interests in ways that outgoing IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei wouldn’t. ..... In private, Amano agreed to “consultations” with the head of the Israeli Atomic Energy Commission, Pyatt reported. (It is ironic indeed that Amano would have secret contacts with Israeli officials about Iran’s alleged nuclear weapons program, which has yet to yield a single bomb, when Israel possesses a large and undeclared nuclear arsenal.) In a subsequent cable dated Oct. 16, 2009, the U.S. mission in Vienna said Amano “took pains to emphasize his support for U.S. strategic objectives for the Agency. Amano reminded ambassador [Glyn Davies] on several occasions that … he was solidly in the U.S. court on every key strategic decision, from high-level personnel appointments to the handling of Iran’s alleged nuclear weapons program. “More candidly, Amano noted the importance of maintaining a certain ‘constructive ambiguity’ about his plans, at least until he took over for DG ElBaradei in December” 2009. In other words, the emerging picture of Amano is of a bureaucrat eager to bend in directions favored by the United States and Israel, especially regarding Iran’s nuclear program. Amano’s behavior surely contrasts with how the more independent-minded ElBaradei resisted some of Bush’s key claims about Iraq’s supposed nuclear weapons program, denouncing some documents as forgeries. Today, with some Republican presidential contenders falling over themselves to bond with Israel over its desire to attack Iran, this sort of detail puts the IAEA report into a fuller context that can help American voters judge whether another war is necessary or whether they’re being misled again by hyped allegations. More at link...
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,484 US Military Dead as of Dec 31, 2011
AFGHANISTAN: 1,872 US Military Dead as of Jan 6, 2012
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) George Stephanopoulos hosts a special edition of "This Week" live from Manchester, N.H.
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee
• Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod
• ABC News senior political correspondent Jonathan Karl
• ROUNDTABLE: George Will, Republican strategist Mary Matalin, ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd, Democratic strategist Donna Brazile and ABC News senior White House correspondent Jake Tapper
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Defense Secretary Leon Panetta
• Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey
• Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.
- 60 Minutes (CBS) (Special 8 p.m. broadcast)
• Stem Cell Fraud - Stem cells still have not proven to be the panacea many claimed they could be, yet the Internet is alive with stem cells for sale to treat incurable illnesses. Scott Pelley reports on one man offering to treat cerebral palsy who a respected stem cell researcher says could be endangering patients. Oriana Zill and Michael Rey are the producers.
• The Most Expensive Food in the World - European white truffles can sell for as much as $3,600 a pound. But harvests are down and a black market has emerged that has allowed an influx of inferior and cheap Chinese truffles that are diluting this lucrative market. Lesley Stahl reports. Ira Rosen is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• Special MTP event: NBC News-Facebook Debate
• This Sunday, David Gregory will moderate the final presidential debate before the all-important New Hampshire primary on Meet the Press.
• Visit the MTP Facebook page to submit a question you would like to hear asked.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN)
At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D) Minority leader
• the latest on the 2012 elections from New Hampshire
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of the conversation on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email: bob [at] headonradio [dot] com.
• PRAYER MEETIN' WEDNESDAY!!!!! Uber Pope Imam Bishop Rabbi Bob! Listen now HERE (mp3)!
Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment!
BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - January 5, 2012 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Riots over oil in Nigeria; Victory over Big Oil in Ecuador; Curbing drug abuse (antibiotic drug abuse, that is) and antibiotic super bugs(!) in farm animals; Heat wave in Antarctica; PLUS: Mutant hybrid sharks! ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): December 2011 setting heat records; Is there really 100 years’ worth of natural gas beneath the United States? [NO.]; Insurance payouts point to climate change; U.S. coasts unprepared for higher seas; The end of real maple syrup?; EPA regs create more jobs than Keystone XL pipeline; Low income kids exposed to more pollution; Future of a stable climate depends on the 2012 Presidential Election: report ... PLUS: ZOMG! Zomb-bees! ... and much, MUCH more! ...
BRADCAST UPDATE: Brad on Hartmann TV: Hypocrisy of Gingrich's 'Voter Fraud' & of GOP's Iowa Caucus Processes By Brad Friedman on 1/4/2012 5:00pm: I've been busy doing a lot of media and a lot of digging today. So until I can get free to follow up here on some Iowa Caucus issues, here's my latest appearance on The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann, from last night... AND catch Brad with PAP (see Ring of Fire VIDEO below!)
Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• PBC Live! Weekly on KGO PBC Live! Weekly on KGO Your humble host has been remiss in keeping you apprised of his other media activities. Since February, I’ve been hosting a regular weekly show on KGO, the leading San Francisco talk station with a huge coverage area–at night, you can hear it anywhere on the West Coast. TFN (till further notice), you can hear me every Friday night–or, more precisely, Saturday morning, from 1-5 am (PDT) on 810-AM or streaming at www.kgoradio.com. If you’d like to be alerted each week, sign up on Facebook as a fan of “Peter B. Collins Show” or you can follow me on Twitter, @pbcsf
• PBC News & Comment, Tuesday January 3 CNY Times won Pulitzer for exposing Rumsfeld’s propaganda on Iraq invasion, but buries report of Inspector General exonerating Rummy and the gang. Plus: appeals court on wiretapping lawsuits, North Korea’s L’il Kim and much more……….Catching up on a backlog of items reported during the holidays...
• PBC News & Comment, Wednesday January 4 Santorum’s surge and Paul’s strong showing in Iowa lead Perry and Bachman to drop out; progressives see Ron Paul as better than Obama on many key issues.
• PBC Chats with Listener: Should Progressives Support Ron Paul? Meet Author and Anarchist scott crow! Listener Doug Zimmerman joins PBC to talk about the pluses and minuses of Ron Paul–should progressives support him, at least in the primaries? Anarchist scott crow (sic, no caps) deepens the definition of “anarchism”…..prepare to be surprised!
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are on a holiday break until the first week of January. You have my warm holiday wishes and best for the New Year. If you are in the Bay Area, I will be on KGO 810 AM 12/24 from 8-11am and 1/7 from 11am to 2pm. Others can catch the stream at kgoradio.com. We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! January 6, 2012
• best-selling author Thomas Frank will join us for a discussion on his new book “Pity the Billionaire.”
• Occupy Wall Street activist Jesse LaGreca will tell us about his recent trip to Washington to fight for the middle class.
• Reverend Nathan Monk joins us for a discussion on the importance of local elections, and how the right wing is trying to pack school boards and city councils.
• John Amato from Crooks and Liars will be here to talk about the elite class that rules our Congress.
• Policy adviser to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, John Feinblatt, will be here to tell us how convicted criminals are getting their hands on illegal firearms.
• And investigative journalist Brad Friedman will join us to discuss the ongoing problems with electronic voting machines.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Will Voting Machines Steal 2012 Election? We’ve talked a lot recently about the GOP’s plan to stop the vote ahead of the 2012 election, but there are other hurdles for voters, even if they manage to make it to the polls. Those hurdles come in the form of electronic voting machines. The same problems that voters have been experiencing for the last decade with electronic voting machines not counting votes, changing votes, or deleting votes are still as rampant today as they were years ago. Mike Papantonio talks about the latest round of voting machine problems with investigative journalist Brad Friedman.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Inside the GOP’s Block The Vote Machine Most Americans are under the correct assumption that the right to vote is a guarantee for every legal US citizen. But as we’ve noted during this show, the GOP is working tirelessly to prevent minorities, the elderly, and young people from being able to cast a vote in next year’s presidential election. That’s because these groups tend to favor Democrats over the GOP’s new brand of crazy Tea Party candidates. Mike Papantonio talks about the GOP’s war on voting rights with author and Nation Magazine contributor Ari Berman.
• Support Those Who Support Progressive Media! 2011 has certainly been a great year for Ring of Fire, and we’ve had some great sponsors that have helped support the show throughout the year. We wanted to take the time to personally thank each and every one of them, and we encourage all of our listeners to take the time to support those who have support us.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the “Podcast” tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 7 pm ct on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm! NEW SHOWS NEXT WEEK!
• Dave Weigel Live in Iowa on the Iowa Caucus [01•03•12]
• Matt Taibbi on the Meaningless Sideshow that is the GOP Primaries [01•04•12]
• Jeff Smith of the OWS Press Team on the NDAA Grand Central Protest [01•05•12]
• Cliff Schecter and Sam Seder discuss the Iowa Caucus, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul & more! [01•06•12]
• An Update from Occupy New Hampshire! [12•22•11]]
MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityreport.official.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts “The Truth About Markets” on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s “People & Power” series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• NEW! MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV PLUS here is Max Keiser’s official Facebook page And here is the official Keiser Report page
• VIDEO! MISH’s year end predictions by maxkeiser. READ Mish 2012 Predictions; 2011 Year in Review with Max Keiser (globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com)
• VIDEO! Max Keiser on Capital Account: Presidential Futures are like “Running Man on Steroids” by stacyherbert.
• KEISER REPORT [KR231] Keiser Report – From Russian Oil With Love We present an Eastern European special looking at Swiss franc mortgages in Hungary, bank runs in Latvia and the wisdom of austerity. In the second half of the show, Max talks to economist, Professor Constantin Gurdgiev....
• KEISER REPORT  Keiser Report: Wall Street saints above God & law
• KEISER REPORT [KR233] Keiser Report: Spiral of debt towards the paranormal In this episode, we discuss Brits using payday loans to pay off interest only mortgages while Greeks bury their cash for fear of being Gaddafi’d by the banksters. In the second half of the show, Max talks to David Morgan …
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Paul Craig Roberts We interview Paul Craig Roberts; here’s his latest blog post at his new site: The Dismal Economic Outlook For The New Year
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1228] The Truth About Markets – 10 December 2011 Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Anthony Gregory January 1, 2012: Anthony Gregory, Research Editor at the Independent Institute, discusses his article “Non-Interventionism: Cornerstone of a Free Society;” why war is just legalized mass murder, made acceptable because a state – instead of an individual – does it; why Americans have a hard time seeing their own government as an aggressive war-maker (we’re the good guys!); the irony of veteran soldiers (who supposedly fought for our freedom) getting killed by cops while peacefully demonstrating; and getting lied into war yet again, this time with Iran.
• Jason Ditz January 1, 2012: Jason Ditz, managing news editor at Antiwar.com, discusses Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s attempt to purge Sunnis from government; how Iraq’s central state is being challenged by Kurdish and Sunni autonomous regions; the thousands of Americans remaining in Iraq to staff the embassy and provide training; why most members of Congress still don’t understand that the US gave Iraq to Iran on a silver platter; and how the recent killing of 35 Kurds by the Turkish military resembles the US practice of execution without due process.
• Gareth Porter January 1, 2012: Gareth Porter, independent historian and journalist for IPS News, discusses the Israeli Mossad chief’s admission that a nuclear-armed Iran would not be an “existential threat;” the conflict between policy “realists” in Israel’s military and intelligence community and the “messianic” hawks aligned with Netanyahu and Ehud Barak; why a Republican presidential victory in 2012 (excepting Ron Paul) would advance Netanyahu’s push for war; how ever-harsher sanctions are leading to a complete shutdown of Iran’s oil exports (which could provoke a reaction like Japan’s in 1941); and why Obama would be “crazy” to push for a Libyan-style regime change in Syria.
Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Congressman Ron Paul
• RNC Chairman Reince Priebus
• DNC Chair Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml