Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
World Wide Austerity! As the neo-lib "austerity" policies threaten the sovereignty of many European nations (colloquially known as the P.I.G.G.S.) it seems "the President and the bipartisan bicameral leaders of Congress (Speaker Boehner, and Leaders Reid, McConnell, and Pelosi)" devised their own austerity time-bomb back in 2011 with the Budget Control Act (Quick Summary) that calls for "no tax increases and there will be triggered $1.2 T of across-the-board spending cuts in discretionary spending" which was disguised as a "deal" to raise the U.S. Debt Limit (another manufactured crisis by the right wing and the GOPhers) and then "force" Congress to do something else to prevent the sharp and drastic cuts they all agree are "abhorrent": Dems protecting social programs and GOPhers protecting war industry cuts. But for all the talk and bluster our money is on "nothing will be done" and Congress will scrape together some tawdry kick-the-can-down-the-road bills while the WH sits on its collective hands (the Executive Branch can't do much as the power of writing spending bills does in fact have to come from Da House) and we'll see plenty of finger-waving, finger-pointing and maybe a few middle fingers too. Any way you slice-n-dice it the so-called "sequestration" is nothing more than Austerity by another name. More on this in a bit. But it is Sunday! So here's a bit of religion news to start.
This is a few weeks old from GetEqual.org RELEASE: Pres. Obama Participates in Prayer Breakfast Supporting Anti-LGBT Legislation February 7th, 2013: Today President Obama and many Members of Congress attended the annual National Prayer Breakfast, hosted by The Fellowship Foundation — a conservative Christian organization more widely known as “The Family.” This secretive organization is known for its global connections to homophobic violence and for supporting legislation around the world that would kill or imprison lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people. The President, Congressional leaders, and many other elected officials attended this year’s event, despite the fact that event organizers have been documented to play a role in the sponsorship of anti-gay legislation worldwide. “The Family” has ties to Ugandan Parliamentarian David Bahati, sponsor of the Anti-Homosexuality Bill moving through the Ugandan Parliament at this moment, legislation better known as the “Kill The Gays Bill” because it seeks to impose the death penalty upon anyone found guilty of same-sex relationships. “For another year, President Obama has chosen to set aside his stated values of inclusion in order to attend the National Prayer Breakfast — an event rooted in hatred of LGBT people and covered up by pastries and coffee,” said Heather Cronk, managing director of GetEQUAL and a seminary graduate. “There are so many communities of faith that fully embrace LGBT people and that are rooted in social justice — we really don’t understand why President Obama continues to give his permission for ‘The Family’ to support killing LGBT folks abroad. If the president is looking for ways to publicly demonstrate that he’s a man of faith, he needs to find ways to do so without simultaneously putting the lives of LGBT people in jeopardy. The ‘Kill the Gays’ bill has been moving through the Ugandan Parliament at the very same time that President Obama was speaking to the group supporting it — this practice has got to stop, and the president needs to understand the role he is playing in supporting the execution of LGBT people around the world.” ..... Go read the rest! And see their post from 2011 National Prayer Breakfast: Despite Protests, Obama Attended. Why? Lots of links in there about "The Family"! In another breaking story on religion Wayne Besen, founder of Truth Wins Out, writes Breaking: Pope Quit Because of Inquiry into Blackmail of Vatican Gay Officials....It appears that the Pope thinks shuffling predatory, pedophile priests and spending more than $2.5 billion in child molestation settlements isn’t a reason to resign, but a few gay priests caught with their pants down is? What an odd moral culture they have developed in Rome, of late.....This is a fascinating story and I believe every word of it. After all, when you have an institution that cares more about its reputation than protecting innocent, vulnerable kids from child raping priests, anything, no matter how low, is possible.
Last week we recommended watching the new documentary on MSNBC Hubris: Selling the Iraq War. The Brad Blog has this shocker! Powell's Chief of Staff: Iraq Intel Was 'Outright Lies', But Powell Didn't 'Knowingly Lie' at U.N. In response to a charge cited by The BRAD BLOG following new film on 'Selling the Iraq War', Col. Lawrence Wilkerson defends his old boss... Col. Lawrence Wilkerson is 'increasingly convinced' of blatant fabrications by George W. Bush's team and the CIA, but says that a specific critique of his former boss cited by The BRAD BLOG 'desecrates a fair condemnation of what is already bad enough'........David Swanson, who authored the charges in question, as cited earlier this week by The BRADBLOG, disputes Wilkerson's response. The full remarks by both men are posted in full at the end of this article...... Click over to BradBlog to watch Hubris: Selling the Iraq War video "based on the book of a similar name by journalists David Corn and Michael Isikoff." See more below in our BradBlog section! Of course David Swanson is not the only one calling out the Polite Poodle Press bubalas. We go to Glenn Greenwald's MSNBC boldly moves to plug its one remaining hole ..... Surveying this assembled data, one does not need to be a veteran cable news executive to see what MSNBC has been so sorely lacking: people who loyally defend President Obama. Thankfully, MSNBC is now boldly fixing that glaring problem; they began two weeks ago with this: "Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs has become a contributor for MSNBC. Rachel Maddow introduced Gibbs as a new member of her network's stable in the final minutes before President Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday night. . . . Gibbs was White House press secretary from 2009 to early 2011, when he left to become a senior campaign adviser for Obama's re-election." I wonder: does someone who goes from being an Obama White House spokesman and Obama campaign official to being an MSNBC contributor even notice that they changed jobs? ....... All the usual and substantial caveats apply when discussing the generalized attributes of MSNBC or comparing it to Fox News (just today, my former Salon colleague Joan Walsh, an MSNBC contributor, wrote about a study that "finds 'liberals' [are] more likely to favor targeted killings once they know it's Obama's policy", and on the weekends, Chris Hayes regularly criticizes Obama from the left while, post-election, Rachel Maddow sometimes does the same). Still, there's still something disturbing, even dangerous, about media outlets, even those overtly ideological ones, that are generally designed for the mission of defending those in power: a critique that Media Matters once compellingly voiced about Fox News, in part by quoting me expressing that same concern about Fox. MSNBC is far from aberrational. The overriding attribute defining the relationship of the US media to those in power is servitude ...... That you can cover what political officials do more effectively when you act adversarially and without their "cooperation" doesn't seem to occur to them. Go read all of this to get the full effect how awful U.S. corporomedia truly is.
Common Dreams staff writer Lauren McCauley explains 'Social Explosion Near' as Greeks Denounce Austerity Nation in standstill as farmers, doctors, teachers, shopkeepers, bus drivers walk off job in general strike 24-hour national strike brought the country of Greece to a standstill on Wednesday while over 60,000 workers took to the streets of Athens in protest of the government's persistent pursuit of austerity despite soaring unemployment and widespread unrest. Beating drums, blowing whistles and chanting "Robbers, robbers!" demonstrators marched on parliament to display their anger at the wage cuts and tax hikes forced on the country by international lenders, Reuters reports. "Unpaid bills, slashed wages and pensions, boarded-up shops. Greek people cannot wait for saviours. Only by taking their fortunes into their own hands can they exit the stalemate," opposition leader Alexis Tsipras, head of the left leaning Syriza party, told reporters. "People of labour must fight for as long as this disastrous policy is followed by the government under orders from (Greece's creditors)," said Yiannis Panagopoulos, chairman of the private sector union GSEE, which organized the day's walkout along with the ADEDY public sector union. "They have destroyed an entire people." "A social explosion is very near," added Ilias Iliopoulos, secretary general of the ADEDY, speaking from a rally in central Athens square while police helicopters circled overhead. Six years of recession and three of punishing austerity policies have tripled the rate of unemployment in the country, bringing it to 27 percent for the general population—the highest in the European Union— and over 60 percent for Greek youth. Kicking off the first general strike of the year, Greek journalists walked off the job Tuesday choosing to keep a visit by French President Francois Hollande to Athens largely unreported. Though Wednesday's protests were largely peaceful, Reuters reports that riot police fired tear gas at "hooded youths" who were "hurling rocks and bottles during a demonstration." ....... Demonstrations were also held in Greece's second-biggest city, Thessaloniki, and on the island of Crete, "where dozens of protesters hit the streets waving black flags," said Reuters. ........ Anticipating the elimination of 25,000 civil service jobs in the next round of labor cuts demanded by creditors, the International Monetary Fund and the European Union, the country's labor force is prepared to continue to fight against austerity until their voices are heard.
HAITI: The Center for Economic and Policy Research released this UN Response to Haiti Cholera Complaint “Represents a Failure of the UN System,” CEPR Co-Director Says Washington, D.C.- The U.N.’s claim of immunity in the face of a complaint from thousands of cholera victims is “another unfortunate abdication of responsibility,” Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) Co-Director Mark Weisbrot said today. The office of U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon issued a statement today that said that “the claims are not receivable pursuant to Section 29 of the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations,” and that “[t]he Secretary-General telephoned Haitian President Michel Martelly to inform him of the decision.” "The scientific and forensic evidence
that U.N. troops brought cholera to Haiti is far beyond the standard of ‘reasonable doubt’ required in the U.S. criminal justice system, let alone the less-exacting standard of ‘preponderance of the evidence’ in a civil suit,” Weisbrot noted. “It included studies by independent scientists, articles published by the New England Journal of Medicine, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and even the U.N.'s own research." Weisbrot noted that "If this were a private corporation that could be sued in a U.S. court, there is little doubt that it would end up paying hundreds of millions if not billions in damages. The U.N.'s denial represents a failure not only of the U.N. system, which is abused by the rich countries, but a moral failure by the U.S. and its allies, who sent those troops to Haiti without proper safeguards and against the will of the Haitian people.
GUANTANAMO CAMP 7 UPDATE: AP at the San Francisco Chronicle Judge grants access to secret Guantanamo camp SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The judge presiding over the Sept. 11 war crimes tribunal is allowing defense lawyers their first chance to see the secret section of the Guantanamo Bay prison where the accused are held. Army Col. James Pohl granted the defense teams less access to Camp 7 than requested. Lawyers for the five prisoners facing a military tribunal for their roles in the Sept. 11 attacks wanted to spend 48 hours inside the camp. They also wanted multiple visits. Pohl ruled that three members of each team can visit once, for no more than 12 continuous hours. He barred them from interviewing guards. Attorney James Connell called Wednesday's ruling a good start. Camp 7 is so shrouded in secrecy that even its location on the U.S. base in Cuba is classified. Recall Scott Horton's exposé in Harpers from 2010 The Guantánamo “Suicides” ..... Furthermore, new evidence now emerging may entangle Obama’s young administration with crimes that occurred during the George W. Bush presidency, evidence that suggests the current administration failed to investigate seriously—and may even have continued—a cover-up of the possible homicides of three prisoners at Guantánamo in 2006. ..... They were being held in a cell block, known as Alpha Block, reserved for particularly troublesome or high-value prisoners. ..... According to the NCIS documents, each prisoner had fashioned a noose from torn sheets and T-shirts and tied it to the top of his cell’s eight-foot-high steel-mesh wall. Each prisoner was able somehow to bind his own hands, and, in at least one case, his own feet, then stuff more rags deep down into his own throat. We are then asked to believe that each prisoner, even as he was choking on those rags, climbed up on his washbasin, slipped his head through the noose, tightened it, and leapt from the washbasin to hang until he asphyxiated. The NCIS report also proposes that the three prisoners, who were held in non-adjoining cells, carried out each of these actions almost simultaneously. ..... Now four members of the Military Intelligence unit assigned to guard Camp Delta, including a decorated non-commissioned Army officer who was on duty as sergeant of the guard the night of June 9, have furnished an account dramatically at odds with the NCIS report—a report for which they were neither interviewed nor approached. All four soldiers say they were ordered by their commanding officer not to speak out, and all four soldiers provide evidence that authorities initiated a cover-up within hours of the prisoners’ deaths.... Horton refers to "Camp No"; is this the same as Camp 7? See the full hour interview with retired U.S. Marine Corps prosecutor Lt. Col. Stuart Couch on DN! below.
In a related matter at Alternet Alex Kane reports 40 Cities Around Globe Set to Protest 1,000th Day of Bradley Manning's Imprisonment on February 23. .... The rallies around the world are being organized by the Bradley Manning Support Network. “Supporters are gathering in cities across the U.S., Europe and Australia for marches, rallies, art installations, concerts, live theater, and other events to criticize the unjust prosecution and raise awareness about Manning's case,” the network states. Manning’s court martial trial is set for June of this year--three years after his initial arrest. His imprisonment by the military was marked by punitive abuse that included isolation and his clothes being removed from him. A UN rapporteur called Manning’s conditions “cruel, inhuman and degrading,” and earlier this year a judge confirmed that Manning’s conditions were excessively harsh and constituted pretrial punishment, which is prohibited under military law.
At Rolling Stone Janet Reitman reports Jeremy Hammond Speaks Out in Memory of Aaron Swartz Almost a year after his arrest and indictment for allegedly hacking Stratfor, the private intelligence agency, the accused Anonymous hacktivist Jeremy Hammond has condemned the government and its "aggressive prosecution, riddled with abuse and misconduct," for the death of fellow Internet activist Aaron Swartz. In an impassioned letter released by his lawyers on February 21st, Hammond – who is facing a 30-year-to-life sentence for his role in the Stratfor hack – lashed out at the Obama Administration for a cyber-security strategy he views as "flawed" as well as "systematic corruption involving computer crime investigations, intellectual property law, and government/corporate transparency . . . Aaron's case is part of the recent aggressive, politically-motivated expansion of computer crime law where hackers and activists are increasingly criminalized because of alleged 'cyber-terrorist' threats," he noted. "This sad and angering chapter should serve as a wake-up call for all of us to acknowledge the danger inherent in our criminal justice system." More at Rolling Stone!
Here are a few more items of interest:
- NORTH CAROLINA JUSTICE CENTER TAKE ACTION: Tell Gov. McCrory to veto the bill blocking Medicaid expansion in North Carolina
- HuffPoAOL Equity And Excellence Commission Report Warns Of Failure To Right Unfair U.S. Schools
- Columbus Dispatch Fracking protest at Ohio River storage site Members of a group called Appalachia Resist descended on GreenHunter Water's storage facility and terminal in New Matamoras this morning.
- keystoneprogress.org David Cobb will be keynote speaker at PA Progressive Summit The 2013 Pennsylvania Progressive Summit is going to be the most important event for progressive leaders and activists this year. This year, it will be in Harrisburg on March 2.
- Israel torture of Prisoner X - abc.net.au Israel lifts Prisoner X gag order
- Mark Ames - nsfwcorp.com Mark Ames Assassinations for dummies
- Susie Madrak - Crooks and Liars Yale Helps DoD Train Soldiers By Interrogating Non-Whites
- Highlights from the "Forward on Climate" rally in Washington D.C Tens of Thousands Rally to Stop Keystone XL Pipeline & Urge Obama to Move "Forward on Climate"
- Cory Booker, mayor of Newark, New Jersey "Lift Every Voice": Potential Senate Hopeful Cory Booker Praises Harry Belafonte’s Life of Activism
- Harry Belafonte "We Must Unleash Radical Thought": Harry Belafonte’s Stirring Speech Accepting NAACP Spingarn Medal
- John Dunbar, politics editor at the Center for Public Integrity Donors Trust: Little-Known Group Helps Wealthy Backers Fund Right-Wing Agenda in Secret
- Suzanne Goldenberg, U.S. environment correspondent for The Guardian The ATM for Climate Denial: Secretive Donors Trust Funds Vast Network of Global Warming Skeptics
- Cecilia Peck, director of Brave Miss World & Inbal Lessner, producer and editor of Brave Miss World "Brave Miss World": Raped Before Winning ’98 Title, Linor Abargil Campaigns Against Sexual Violence
- Dan Yakir & Antony Loewenstein Prisoner X: Doubts Grow on Jailhouse Suicide Claims for Australian Israeli Linked to Mossad
- Sarah Stillman of The New Yorker, Margie Weiss, mother of Rachel Hoffman & Alexandra Natapoff, professor of law at Loyola Law School Throwaways: Recruited by Police & Thrown into Danger, Young Informants are Drug War’s Latest Victims
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous Sharif Abdel Kouddous: 2 Years into Uprising, Bahrain Feels Like a "Nation Under Occupation"
- Michael Siegel, Nathalie Batraville, Alex Lew An Interrogation Center at Yale? Proposed Pentagon Special Ops Training Facility Sparks Protests
- Imara Jones, economic justice contributor for ColorLines.com Sequestration: What Do the Automatic Spending Cuts Mean for the Poor, Unemployed and Children?
- Debbie Barker, program director of Save Our Seeds Bowman v. Monsanto: Indiana Farmer’s Supreme Court Challenge to Corporate Control of Food Supply
- Lt. Col. Stuart Couch, retired U.S. Marine Corps prosecutor Torture at Guantánamo: Lt. Col. Stuart Couch on His Refusal to Prosecute Abused Prisoner AND "The Terror Courts": An Inside Look at Rough Justice, Torture at Guantánamo Bay wtih Jess Bravin, Supreme Court correspondent for The Wall Street Journal.
»»» FEATURED SHOW 5 Broken CamerasNonviolence in Palestine has never captured the world's attention the way violence has. Five Broken Cameras attempts to change that record.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» NASCAR on FOX First race of the season! The 55th running of “The Great American Race” The Daytona 500! Congrats to Danica Patrick the first woman to win a pole position for a Sprint Cup Series race with an average lap time of 196.434 MPH. Green flag at 1:30 pm et
»»» NBA on ESPN SUNDAY Doubleheader! Grizzzlies @ Nets 7 pm et then Bulls @ Thundar 9:30 pm
»»» NBA on TNT THURSDAY Doubleheader! Sixers @ Bulls 8 pm et then Timberwolves @ Lakers 10:30 pm
**** MLB OPENING DAY IN 36 DAYS! ****
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communi ties
- Lawmakers concerned about the health effects on humans from mountaintop removal coal mining set forth legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives today. Representatives Dennis Kucinich (OH), Louise Slaughter (NY), Maurice Hinchey (NY), Earl Blumenauer (OR), Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA), John Yarmuth (KY), Lynn Woolsey (CA), Judy Chu (CA), Raúl Grijalva (AZ), James Moran (VA), Michael Honda (CA), John Conyers (MI), and Keith Ellison (MN) introduced the Appalachian Communities Health Emergency (ACHE) Act H.R. 5959 which would place a moratorium on permitting for mountaintop removal coal mining until health studies are conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services. The ACHE coalition presently consists of participants from Coal River Mountain Watch, Mountain Health and Heritage Association, and Christians for the Mountains. “We encourage you, if you’re concerned about mountaintop removal’s effect on your community’s health, to join us in making your voice heard,” said Allen Johnson, executive director of Christians for the Mountains. “Please contact us, learn about the issue, and take action to protect your community.”
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Community Wealth Building in Action: The Cleveland Model Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar featuring David Cobb's Barnstorming Tour! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network UPDATE! Common Dreams staff writer Beth Brogan posts Exposing US War Crimes or Not, Judge Denies Manning's Whistleblower Defense In a significant—but not unexpected— blow to his defense, a military judge has ruled that Bradley Manning's attorney [David Coombs] may not argue that Manning's motive in releasing documents and the damning video "Collateral Murder" to WikiLeaks was to call attention to US war crimes. ....... The Guardian reports that Colonel Denise Lind "ruled that general issues of motive were not relevant to the trial stage of the court martial, and must be held back until Manning either entered a plea or was found guilty, at which point it could be used in mitigation to lessen the sentence." Lind also ruled that Coombs may not present evidence that the documents released to WikiLeaks caused little or no damage to US national security. Coombs will be able to raise that evidence when addressing the specific charge of aiding the enemy, as FiredogLake's Kevin Gosztola points out, "in order to prove he did not know passing information to WikiLeaks would result in 'dealing with the enemy.'" ....... Last week, prosecutors said that if Manning had released documents to The New York Times instead of WikiLeaks, they would still charge him with aiding the enemy. Never before has a soldier been jailed for releasing information to the media. The Los Angeles Times subsequently published an editorial criticizing "the federal government's unprecedented targeting, in recent years, of whistleblowers and those who leak to the press," and calling the charge of aiding the enemy "excessive."
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
The essential guide for watching government propaganda!
THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• ROUNDTABLE: House Intelligence Committee Chair Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., and Foreign Affairs Committee ranking member Rep. Eliot Engel, D-NY, join ABC News' George Will and ABC News Global Affairs Anchor Christiane Amanpour
• ROUNDTABLE II: George Will; Democratic strategist and ABC News contributor Donna Brazile; TIME Magazine contributor Steven Brill, author of this week's cover story "Bitter Pill" on rising health care costs; former Lead Auto Adviser and Counselor to the Treasury Secretary Steven Rattner; and Wall Street Journal columnist Kimberley Strassel.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Senators Kelly Ayotte, R-NH and Tim Kaine, D-Va.
• Governors Martin O'Malley, D-Md. and Bob McDonnell, R-Va.
• Jan Brewer, R-Ariz. and John Hickenlooper, D-Colo.
• ROUNDTABLE: Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Penn., National Alliance on Mental Illness Executive Director Michael Fitzpatrick, Parents Television Council President Tim Winter, former FBI profiler Mary Ellen O'Toole and Texas A&M International's Chris Ferguson.
• ROUNDTABLE II: National Journal's Nancy Cook, Washington Post's Scott Wilson and CBS News' John Dickerson
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Killing Bin Laden - A first-hand account of the raid that killed the world's most wanted terrorist from one of the Navy SEALS who pulled the trigger. Scott Pelley interviews "Mark Owen," a former SEAL who was in the room when Osama bin Laden died from American bullets, in his only interview. "Owen," a pseudonym he uses for security, recalls each step of the mission and the preparation he and the nation's elite force made for it, in order to give credit to his SEAL comrades and the hundreds of others whose work played a role in the successful mission. This historic account will be in four parts and will comprise the whole hour. Henry Schuster is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA)
• Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)
• Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood
• ROUNDTABLE: Fmr. Democratic Congressman Harold Ford; Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan; Host of NPR’s Morning Edition, Steve Inskeep; and CNBC’s dynamic duo Maria Bartiromo and Jim Cramer
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
• Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
• ROUNDTABLE: Gov. Dan Malloy (D-CT), Former Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, Gwen Ifill from PBS, and Jackie Calmes of the New York Times.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• FRIDAY ON THE FRONT PORCH!!!!! Last show of the week! Pull up a chair and a cold one and tune in! Listen NOW HERE!! Keep Bob on the air HERE ya hear? Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - February 14, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Secretary of State John Kerry comes out swinging on climate change; BP off the hook again - for $3.4 billion; Genetically modified crops do not produce bigger harvests; PLUS: How secretive rightwing billionaires fund the climate change denial industry --- and get a tax deduction for it! ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): The virtues of being unreasonable on Keystone; 1.5C rise in temperature enough to start permafrost melt; Poll: strong support for clean energy, carbon pollution standards; Alaska Senate rolls back cruiseship water pollution standards; Honda to offer rooftop solar systems; Arctic sea ice volume has 'collapsed'; The most terrifying graph you'll see all day; Major methane release is almost inevitable; Mexico's dramatic, rapid recovery from traffic gridlock; US natural gas bubble threatens economy ... PLUS: Unlocking the conspiracy mind-set ... and much, MUCH more! ...
Wilkerson David Swanson
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! IRAQ WAR LIES: 'HUBRIS' DOC ONLINE New NBC News documentary details how every point made to sell the war was a known lie. Watch it online here...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! 'Hubris' Doc Both Hits and Misses the Point David Swanson takes a look at MSNBC's new documentary on the lies used to sell the Iraq War and finds several key points lacking...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Sr. Official: 'We Did Participate in a Hoax' New details on the selling of the phony -- and deadly -- Iraq War scam revealed in new NBC News documentary Hubris.
• BRADCAST UPDATE! Brad and Thom Hartmann Break Down PA GOP's Latest Election Rigging Scam The 'Energizer Bunnies' of rigging democracy are still at it in the Keystone State, but there's are bigger worries...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC Standard Podcast February 19, 2013 10 Years Ago, CIA Bungled Kidnap Caper in Milan; BORDC Lawyer Nadia Kayyali on Domestic Use of Drones
• PBC Standard Podcast February 22, 2013 Israeli-American Author and Peace Activist Miko Peled Fosters Dialogue with Palestinians, Slams Israel’s Government
• PBC News & Comment February 22, 2013PBC News & Comment: Obama Opens New Front in Africa White House announces deployment of 100 troops to Niger, to set up drone base to monitor French war in Mali
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern
• Author Nick Turse will be here to discuss the war crimes committed by US troops in Vietnam, and why the lessons learned in that war should be applied to our military conflicts today.
• Freelance writer David Dayen will tell us why Wall Street always seems to win, even when we have such clear evidence that they’ve committed major crimes.
• Attorney Ken Feinberg will join us to talk about the failures and the victories that we’ve seen from Eric Holder’s Department of Justice in the last four years.
• Investigative journalist Justin Elliot will be joining us to discuss the American corporations that are funneling money into a new system of Republican dark money groups.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• Papantonio: Will Democrats Allow Republicans To Steal The Next Election? (VIDEO) Mike Papantonio talks with Ed Schultz about the plot by the Republican Party to gerrymander America into a country where Democrats have no chance at all to win in national elections.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Corporate Fraud Rampant Among U.S. Defense Contractors Mike Papantonio talks with Thom Hartmann about KBR’s criminal enterprises in Iraq, and how the company is now trying to make American taxpayers pay for the fraud that the company has been found guilty of.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: US Supreme Court Majority Will Promote Racism (VIDEO) Ring of Fire host Mike Papantonio appears on The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann to discuss the attempts to gut the Voting Rights Act, which would usher in a new era of voter disenfranchisement in America.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 8-11 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
• NEW!! Ring of Fire TV on Free Speech TV - Sundays 12 PM noon et!!!
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• TUESDAY 2/19/13 Janeane “Katherine Harris” Garofalo: & Healthcare Exchanges
• WEDNESDAY 2/20/13 Helaine Olen: The Personal Finance Industry Scam
• THURSDAY 2/21/13 Nick Turse: Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam
• FRIDAY 2/22/13 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Chris Rosen
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• NEW! MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV PLUS here is Max Keiser’s official Facebook page And here is the official Keiser Report page
• The official Facebook pages for Max Keiser & Keiser Report STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead. Max Keiser & Keiser Report PLUS Stacey Herbert
• At least US is not as bad as Uganda… by maxkeiser - READ Income Inequality In U.S. Worse Than Ivory Coast, Pakistan, Ethiopia (thinkprogress.org)
• “This is huge. I can’t possibly overstate the potential ramifications.” by maxkeiser - READ World’s Biggest Gold Storage Company Dumps US Citizens (zerohedge.com)
• VIDEO! Abby Martin and George Galloway on how we got into this mess by maxkeiser - Abby interviews George at the 15:37 mark onwards.
• VIDEO! George Galloway Walks Out Of Israel Debate! by maxkeiser
• KEISER REPORT [KR408] Keiser Report: When Truth is Found to be Lies We discuss the four horsemen of the bondpoclypse riding into town bringing with them the reversal of multi-decades long trends and as pipe swipers steal toilets and as supermarkets hit the limits of cost-cutting, the population confronts the high cost of backsliding trends. In the second half of the show, Max Keiser talks to former energy regulator, Chris Cook, about how we move from dollar diplomacy to gas diplomacy and a world where energy as the modern water hole where you don’t have to kill each other and a natural gas backed currency becomes a new global reserve currency in a post-dollar world.
• KEISER REPORT [KR409] Keiser Report: Mystery Meat – Shut Up & Eat! We discuss where you go when you can’t even afford mystery meat? They also wonder whether Germany’s gold has already been sent out to slaughter while the men running the money abattoirs continue sending us photos of the intact gold. In the second half of the show, Max Keiser talks to HBOS whistleblower, Paul R. Moore, about the absurdity of naming the FSA twice and why eating dodgy securities is not a victimless crime.
• KEISER REPORT [KR410] Keiser Report: Death by Financial Hypoxia We compare the real financial suicide machine that is the global financial markets to the hypothetical euthanasia coaster that would kill its passengers after an allegedly fun and euphoric ride induces GLOC – G-force induced Loss Of Consciousness. In the financial markets this is achieved by churning clients so rapidly or front running them at faster than the speed of light. In the second half of the show, Max Keiser talks to professor and economist, Constantin Gurdgiev, about the liquidation of IBRC, the bank formerly known as Anglo Irish and how it is that the bank came to collapse in the first place.
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Greg Hunter An interview with Greg Hunter of USA Watchdog.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1265] The Truth About David Cameron’s Debt Lies Download show HERE (mp3)
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1267] The Truth About Markets – 23 February 2013 Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Scott Horton Radio Show 2/11/13 Ray McGovern: Ray McGovern, co-founder of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity, discusses CIA Director-to-be John Brennan’s “Tenet-Like Testimony” about Iran’s nuclear program to the Senate Intelligence Committee; Brennan’s apparent willingness to “fit the facts around the policy” and lie Americans into yet another war; why Brennan knows much more about CIA torture, rendition, and black sites than he admits; and the spectacle of Obama and Brennan casually giving a thumbs-up or thumbs-down – like Roman emperors – deciding the fate of “kill list” victims.
Listen to more interviews at The Scott Horton Show!
• SCOTT HORTON July 5, 2012: Scott says goodbye to Antiwar.com. Scott Horton is the former host of Antiwar Radio. Visit his blog Stress. Due to budget cuts Scott lost his gig at AntiWarRadio.com! Whoa! See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Tom Coburn (R-OK), lead republican on the Homeland Security Committee
• Claire McCaskill (D-MO), member of the Armed Services Committee
• Democrat Gov. Jack Markell of Delaware
• Republican Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml