Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below!
DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks!
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
IRENE vs. CORPOROMEDIA Tune into BRAD FRIEDMAN Guest Hosting 'Malloy Show' Tuesday with great interviews with
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) should be ABOLISHED according to RON PAUL - Desi has the low-down. ABC's THICK George Will last Sunday declared teevee coverage of Irene's destruction "Manufactured synthetic hysteria" and self-appointed navel-gazer HOWIE KURTZ calls it "tsunami of hype".Audio at the link! TWO (count'em TWO!) Green News Reports this week! See links below and stay tuned for BRAD FRIEDMAN's two-part series in MOTHER JONES coming soon! You can hear the 700-club types now: "GOD AIMED His RATH at those LIBRULS in Vermont by WIPING OUT HUNDRED-YEAR-OLD HISTORIC BRIDGES in His GREAT FLOOD! Can I get an AMEN?" Then Al Gore: Global warming skeptics are this generation’s racists “This is an organized effort to attack the reputation of the scientific community as a whole, to attack their integrity, and to slander them with the lie that they are making up the science in order to make money,” Gore said. WATCH the whole interview!
David Atkins ("thereisnospoon") at Hullabaloo has Tax Revolt This will barely register as a shock these days: (nyt) At least 25 top United States companies paid more to their chief executives in 2010 than they did to the federal government in taxes, according to a study released on Wednesday. The companies — which include household names like eBay, Boeing, General Electric and Verizon — averaged $1.9 billion each in profits, according to the study by the Institute for Policy Studies, a liberal-leaning research group. But a variety of shelters, loopholes and tax reduction strategies allowed the companies to average more than $400 million each in tax benefits — which can be taken as a refund or used as write-off against earnings in future years. ... “We have no evidence that C.E.O.’s are fashioning, with their executive leadership, more effective and efficient enterprises,” the study concluded. “On the other hand, ample evidence suggests that C.E.O.’s and their corporations are expending considerably more energy on avoiding taxes than perhaps ever before — at a time when the federal government desperately needs more revenue to maintain basic services for the American people.” In a sane country with a real media, people who say that we need to lower taxes on "job creators" would be mocked 24/7 on the cable news networks. They would have approximately the same credibility as NAMBLA, and their effect on society would be seen as less salutary. On a positive note, the New York Times article is pretty good journalism: it tells the truth and lays out the facts without trying too hard at a "balanced" take. There are a few confusing and pointless quotes from the Boeing and Verizon corporate hacks, but by and large it's fairly well done. More like this, please. Don't hold your breath David. Rolling Stone's MATT TAIBBI has yet another BLOCKBUSTER in RT1138 "SHREDDED JUSTICE - Is the SEC Covering Up Wall Street Crimes?" For the past two decades, according to a whistle-blower at the SEC who recently came forward to Congress, the agency has been systematically destroying records of its preliminary investigations once they are closed. By whitewashing the files of some of the nation's worst financial criminals, the SEC has kept an entire generation of federal investigators in the dark about past inquiries into insider trading, fraud and market manipulation against companies like Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank and AIG. With a few strokes of the keyboard, the evidence gathered during thousands of investigations – "18,000 ... including Madoff," as one high-ranking SEC official put it during a panicked meeting about the destruction – has apparently disappeared forever into the wormhole of history. Under a deal the SEC worked out with the National Archives and Records Administration, all of the agency's records – "including case files relating to preliminary investigations" – are supposed to be maintained for at least 25 years. But the SEC, using history-altering practices that for once actually deserve the overused and usually hysterical term "Orwellian," devised an elaborate and possibly illegal system under which staffers were directed to dispose of the documents from any preliminary inquiry that did not receive approval from senior staff to become a full-blown, formal investigation. Amazingly, the wholesale destruction of the cases – known as MUIs, or "Matters Under Inquiry" – was not something done on the sly, in secret. The enforcement division of the SEC even spelled out the procedure in writing, on the commission's internal website. "After you have closed a MUI that has not become an investigation," the site advised staffers, "you should dispose of any documents obtained in connection with the MUI." ... The widespread destruction of records was brought to the attention of Congress in July, when an SEC attorney named Darcy Flynn decided to blow the whistle. According to Flynn, who was responsible for helping to manage the commission's records, the SEC has been destroying records of preliminary investigations since at least 1993. After he alerted NARA to the problem, Flynn reports, senior staff at the SEC scrambled to hide the commission's improprieties. As a federally protected whistle-blower, Flynn is not permitted to speak to the press. But in evidence he presented to the SEC's inspector general and three congressional committees earlier this summer, the 13-year veteran of the agency paints a startling picture of a federal police force that has effectively been conquered by the financial criminals it is charged with investigating. ... How did officials at the SEC wind up with a faithful veteran employee – a conservative, mid-level attorney described as a highly reluctant whistle-blower – spilling the agency's most sordid secrets to Congress? In a way, they asked for it. ... The circular nature of the case illustrates the revolving-door dynamic that has become pervasive at the SEC. A recent study by the Project on Government Oversight found that over the past five years, former SEC personnel filed 789 notices disclosing their intent to represent outside companies before the agency – sometimes within days of their having left the SEC. More than half of the disclosures came from the agency's enforcement division, who went to bat for the financial industry four times more often than ex-staffers from other wings of the SEC. Even a cursory glance at a list of the agency's most recent enforcement directors makes it clear that the SEC's top policemen almost always wind up jumping straight to jobs representing the banks they were supposed to regulate. ... Small wonder, then, that SEC staffers often have trouble getting their bosses to approve full-blown investigations against even the most blatant financial criminals. Read it all! MATT TAIBBI for U.S. ATTORNEY GENERAL! YEAH! Kick ass Matt!
Australia's national public broadcaster The ABC reports Assange fires back in terror list row The diplomatic cable, dated January 2010, names 23 Australians with a past or present association with cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, a US citizen who has been tied to plots against the USA. The cable recommends 11 of the Australians be placed on a no-fly list, and a further 12 be placed on a terrorism watch list. Federal Attorney-General Robert McClelland broke the Government's long-standing position not to comment on material that has been published by WikiLeaks to condemn the release of the uncensored cable. "On occasions in the past, WikiLeaks has decided to redact identifying features where security operations or safety could be put at risk. This has not occurred in this case," Mr McClelland said in a statement. "The publication of any information that could compromise Australia's national security - or inhibit the ability of intelligence agencies to monitor potential threats - is incredibly irresponsible." The statement has drawn a swift riposte from Mr Assange, who is currently under house arrest in England as a court prepares to rule on whether he can be extradited to Sweden over sexual assault allegations, which he denies. "Australian Attorney-General Robert McClelland bemoans having his department being publicly caught out ratting out 23 Australians to the US embassy without due process," Mr Assange said. "If Mr McClelland is unhappy about being caught out, perhaps he should consider cancelling my Australian passport again. It has not, after all, proven terribly useful to me the last 267 days of my detention without charge. Or, perhaps he could do us all a favour, cancel his own passport and deport himself?" After DDoS and Patriot Act order, WikiLeaks opens floodgates
WikiLeaks made public thousands of US diplomatic cables on Wednesday hours after its Californian DNS host was ordered to hand to authorities everything it had on Julian Assange and WikiLeaks. The order to US DNS host Dynadot was issued under the Patriot Act and demanded it hand over all subscriber and payment information of the accounts WikiLeaks held since November 1, 2009, according to a copy of the order released by Wikileaks Wednesday. “Our Californian DNS hoster, Dynadot, has received a PATRIOT act production order for information on Julian Assange. It has complied,” WikiLeaks Tweeted on Wednesday afternoon. “Further proof has emerged of the United States secret Grand Jury investigation into Julian Assange and WikiLeaks,” the whistleblower group said in a statement Wednesday. “Information has been demanded on the organisation and its founder for the US courts, this time under the PATRIOT Act. The Grand Jury has been meeting in Alexandria, Washington DC trying to work up an espionage case against the organisation’s founder Julian Assange." Earlier in the day WikiLeaks claimed it was under a massive denial of service attack, which forced it to run off backup servers. It later suggested they were state-led attacks, questioning whether “state directed Denial of Service attacks” were legally a “war crime against civilian infrastructure”. WikiLeaks also intended to release a further 35,000 US diplomatic cables over Wednesday night and Thursday morning, and established the #wlfind tag to corral reader revelations. However, according to former WikiLeaks staffer turned Guardian data journalist, James Ball, there was nothing in the cables that The Guardian had not had access to for the past nine months. NOTHING? Not so fast! International Business Times declares Wikileaks Cable Release: New Evidence that U.S. Troops May Have Massacred Iraqi Civilians
American troops may have executed at least 10 Iraqi civilians and then ordered an air strike to obliterate the evidence, according to a U.S. diplomatic cable released by Wikileaks. Mostly overlooked in the uproar surrounding Wikileaks' latest release of a deluge of diplomatic cables is an unclassified cable in which a United Nations inspector challenges the U.S. military's account of what happened during a raid on the Iraqi town of Ishaqi. Philip Alston, the U.N.'s special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, wrote to a U.S. embassy with fresh evidence supporting the charge that American troops intentionally killed civilians. The U.S. military has ignored his requests for more information, as has the Iraqi government. ... Alston's cable notes that autopsies conducted on the 10 civilians killed during the raid determined that they had been handcuffed and shot in the head. Of the 10 people killed, four were women and five were children younger than the age of five. Alston also disputed the idea that the house was destroyed in the firefight, maintaining that it was still standing until the U.S. called in an airstrike. "Troops entered the house, handcuffed all residents and executed all of them," Alston wrote. "After the initial MNF [Multi-National Force] intervention, a U.S. air raid ensued that destroyed the house." Alston's account matches that of the Joint Coordination Center in Tikrit, a regional security center set up with American military assistance and staffed by U.S.-trained Iraqi police officers. McClatchy noted that the cable also backed up what neighbors and the doctor who performed the autopsies told Knight-Ridder -- which is now owned by McClatchy -- immediately after the incident. "The American forces gathered the family members in one room and executed 11 persons, including five children, four women and two men. Then they bombed the house, burned three vehicles and killed their animals," the Joint Coordination Center's report said. Here's the McClatchy report WikiLeaks: Iraqi children in U.S. raid shot in head, U.N. says and John Glaser at AntiWar.com also posted Cables Reveal 2006 Summary Execution of Civilian Family in Iraq
Next Dahlia Lithwick at Slate.com talks about Getting Away With Torture
Who knows why Cheney wants to keep relitigating torture in the face of a factual record that has concluded for the thousandth time that it is neither effective nor legal. Maybe it's good for his book sales. All I know is that when almost everyone with any expertise in the matter, and any knowledge of the torture program (up to and including Matthew Alexander and John McCain) says that it hurts more than it helps, Cheney starts to sound a little like the crazy lady in the attic. ... But the real lesson of In My Time is not that Cheney "got away with it," though I suppose he did. It's an admonishment to rest of us that the law really matters. The reason Cheney keeps saying that torture is "legal" is because he has a clutch of worthless legal memoranda saying so. Cheney gets away with saying torture is "legal" even though it isn't because if it were truly illegal, he and those who devised the torture regime would have faced legal consequences—somewhere, somehow. That's the meaning of the "rule of law." That, rather than whether America should torture people, is what we should glean from the Cheney book. ... Most of agree that we should not be a nation of torturers, and that torture has tarnished the reputation of the United States as a beacon of justice. Most of us do not want warrantless surveillance, secret prisons, or war against every dictator who looks at us funny. We may be bloodthirsty, but we aren't morons. On his most combative and truly lawless positions, Cheney still stands largely alone. The tragedy is that it doesn't matter if we are all Cheneyites now. That there is even one Cheney is enough. He understands and benefits from the fact that the law is still all on his side; that there is only heated rhetoric on ours. As John Adams famously put it, the United States was intended to be a government of laws, not of men. Dick Cheney is living proof that if we are not brave enough to enforce our laws, we will forever be at the mercy of a handful of men. Then The Atlantic's Ta-Nehisi Coates opines in Proud of Torture It's amazing, though it shouldn't be, to see the former vice-president of the United States arguing that the government still should be torturing people, and that torture is one of the things he's proudest of. I think the worst thing about the Obama administration's "looking forward" doctrine is that it virtually guarantees that torture will happen again--perhaps even under the very next administration. It not simply that modern America officially condones torture, it is that modern America condemns torture when executed by people we don't like, and calls it "enhanced interrogation" when we do it. Media has, in disgraceful fashion, bought this Orwellian line. I fully expect to see more enhanced interrogation in my lifetime. I would not be shocked to see it filter down to law enforcement. Foreign terrorists are not the only people who kill. Thorw all your bricks at DARTH CHENEY on FAKE SNOOZE! Remember a few weeks back we wrote about BART shutting down cell phone service? We linked to Naomi Klein's China's All-Seeing Eye. Here's an update: 5 Unexpected Places You Can Be Tracked With Facial Recognition Technology Facial recognition technology has become more advanced, and it's increasingly popping up in two realms: law enforcement and commerce by Tana Ganeva @ Alternet. SURPRISE! And one of our regulars AntiWar Radio has now come under the spotlight. Emptywheel reports FBI Conducts Threat Assessment on Antiwar.Com Journalists for Linking to Publicly Available Document Antiwar.com has a troubling story detailing how what appears to be either an FBI counterintelligence investigation of suspected Israeli spies or an attempt to track down everyone who had posted terrorist watch lists online led to the FBI to investigate the site and Justin Raimondo and Eric Garris.
The story is troubling for several reasons: READ ON! Scary! What to do? Washington's Blog has a FANTASTIC guest editorial:
Open proposal for US revolution: end parasitic and criminal economics.
My friend and colleague for justice, Washington’s Blog’s author, invited me to “guest blog.” I’ll provide two. First: Gandhi’s conclusion of the essential importance of speaking Truth . Second: a 4-part series to document that current US wars are unlawful, US economic policy is massive criminal fraud, and that these “emperor has no clothes” facts are lied about by US corporate media in constant deception. I appreciate Washington’s Blog’s author for the intellectual integrity and moral courage to document powerful facts; as I appreciate readers’ thoughts, words, and acts of virtue - Carl Herman We urge you to read all four parts!
Right after we went to press last week MATT STOLLER at NakedCapitalism.com places down this marker. It is very rare that BTV posts an entire op-ed but this one is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT. Read slowly and carefully Matt Stoller: Power Politics – What Eric Schneiderman Reveals About Obama By Matt Stoller, a fellow at the Roosevelt Institute. He is the former Senior Policy Advisor to Rep. Alan Grayson. You can reach him at stoller (at) gmail.com or follow him on Twitter at @matthewstoller
A lot of people have asked why New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is going after the banks as aggressively as he is. It’s almost unbelievable that one lone elected official, who happens to have powerful legal tools at his disposal, is doing something that no one with any serious degree of power has done. So what is the secret? What kind of machinations is he undertaking that no one else has been able to do?
I’ve known Schneiderman for a few years, back when he was a state Senator working to reform the Rockefeller drug laws. And my answer to this question is pretty simple. He wants to. That’s it. Eric Schneiderman is investigating the banks because he thinks it’s the right thing to do. So he’s doing it. This guy has thought about his politics. He wrote an article about how he sees politics in 2008 in the Nation, and in his inaugural speech as NY AG he talked about the need to restore faith in both public and private institutions. Free will still counts for something, apparently.
In all the absurdly stupid punditry, the simple application of free will to our elected officials goes missing. Yeah, Obama got money from Wall Street. But Obama is choosing to pursue a policy of foreclosures and bank bailouts not because of any grand corporate scheme. He just wants to. He thinks it’s the right thing to do, and he’s doing it. If you don’t think it’s the right thing to do, then you shouldn’t be disappointed in him any more than you might have been disappointed in Bush. Obama is not trying to do the opposite of what he’s doing, he’s not repeatedly suckered by Republicans, and he isn’t naive or stupid. Obama is simply doing what he thinks is right. So is Eric Schneiderman. So is Tom Miller. So are any number of elected officials out there.
In positions of power, the best expression I heard is that “up there the air is thin”. That is, you have enormous latitude, if you want to use it. Power can be wielded creatively and effectively on behalf of whatever it is the wielder wants. Now of course there are constraints, plenty of them. Smart politicians spend their time working to maximize the constraints they want to impose and weakening the ones they want to overcome. But the basic Reaganite liberal argument defending supplication towards Obama these days is that Obama is “disappointing”. In this line of thought, powerful corporate interests and Republicans are preventing him from enacting what his real agenda would be were he unfettered by this mean machine. Eric Schneiderman, who is in a far less powerful position as New York Attorney General, shows that this is utter hogwash. Obama is who he is, and anyone who thinks otherwise is selling something.
The banking system is really at the heart of our politics, which is why it’s such a great test of one’s political theory of change. I’ve been following the foreclosure fraud story for a few years now, because it’s the tail end of a massive economy-wide fraud scheme that started as early as 2003. The securitization chain failure can’t be put back in the bottle, the housing system it collapsed is simply too big to bail. So elites keep trying to patch this up the way they have everything else. It isn’t working. And their scheme has been obvious and obviously dishonest. Along with Obama (who I criticized as empty as early as 2004, ratcheting this up to dishonest and authoritarian by 2006-2007), I pointed out that Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller was engaged in serious bad faith only a few months after the negotiations started.
I’m no genius, I just listened to what these people actually said and did. Obama mocks the idea that he is an honest politician, overtly, lying about NAFTA and FISA very early on in power. Miller lied to activists about being willing to put bankers in jail, and then said he was negotiating with banks in secret. It was overt. For Miller, as with Obama, few people really picked up on the lies until recently. Iowa activists who heckled Miller got it, as did Naked Capitalism readers. Now it’s becoming more and more obvious. That’s just how it is, I suppose, people in the establishment are paid to not notice corruption until the harsh glare is too bright.
The crazy thing is that robosigning is apparently still going on. Right now, the “settlement” talks are the equivalent of law enforcement negotiating with a serial killer over whether he’ll get a parking ticket, even as he continually sprays bullets into the neighborhood. Even having these “settlement” talks when the actual crimes haven’t been investigated or a complaint hasn’t been registered should be example enough that this process is rigged as badly as Dodd-Frank. It should not be a surprise that the administration is putting pressure on Eric Schneiderman, that Tom Miller is kicking him out of the club house. That’s who these people are. It’s what they believe in. Just as it should not be a surprise, though it is laudable, that Schneiderman isn’t knuckling under to the administration. I suspect he probably is laughing at the idiocy of Miller’s pressure tactic. I mean, this is a guy going up some of the most powerful entities in the United States: Bank of New York Mellon, Bank of America, the New York Fed, etc. And the Iowa Attorney General isn’t going let him on conference calls? Mmmkay.
When you look closely at most significant areas of government, it becomes clear that the President and his administration are enormously powerful actors who get a lot done. Handing over our national wealth to the banks and to China is not nothing. These people are reorganizing the economy and the political system so that there are no constraints on the oligarchical interests that fund and pay them. That is their goal, it has been their goal from day one (or even before that), and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong or deluding him or herself. Obama spoke at the founding of Robert Rubin’s Hamilton Institute, and his first, and most important by far policy initiative, was his whipping for TARP, a policy that was signed by Bush but could not have passed without Obama getting his party in line. That was his goal, and he’s still pursuing it. The numerous “what happened to Obama” wailing editorials overlook the consistency of his policy agenda, which stretches back years at this point.
If someone worked or works for the Obama administration, or the Department of Justice, or any other executive branch agency, they need to remember their service as a mark of shame for the rest of their lives. Remembering how they participated in this example of how to govern is literally the least they could do for the damage they have caused. I would leave out the small number of people who are there to overtly prevent as much damage as possible, and those who resign or are fired in protest.
For the rest of the Democratic Party, well, reality is just beginning to intrude into the fantasy-land of partisans, even though the 2010 loss should have delivered a searing wake-up call to the failure Obama’s policy agenda. From 2006-2008, the Bush administration’s failures crashed down upon conservatives, and they in many ways could not cope. But their intellectual collapse was bailed out by Obama. Faux liberals are seeing their grand experiment in tatters, though right now they can only admit to feeling disappointed because the recognition that they have been swindled is far too painful. And the recognition for many of the professionals is even more difficult, because they must recognize that they have helped swindle many others and acknowledge the debt they have incurred to their victims. The signs of coming betrayal were there, but in the end it all comes down to judging people based on what they do and who they choose as opponents. And this Democratic partisans did not do, choosing instead a comfortable delusional fantasy-land where foreclosures don’t matter and theft enabled by Obama (and Clinton before him) doesn’t matter.
Eric Schneiderman’s willingness to go after the banks and stand up to the corruption of the Bush and Obama administrations should be a reminder to all of us of this. We have free will. He is doing the right thing for no other reason than because he wants to, because he believes in it. He is going to face serious consequences for this, very nasty stuff. Eliot Spitzer was taken down and his name dragged through mud because of who he took on. Paying ugly costs for standing up is routine, unfortunately, in modern America. And the least powerful among us face far worse consequences than politicians who are embarrassed. But integrity exists, and Schneiderman is showing that free will can be exercised in its service. This fact is true of many people, not just Schneiderman; Bill McKibbin, Jane Hamsher, Dan Choi and others just got arrested in front of the White House to register dissent. So next time someone tells you that you have no choice but to support one of the two branches of the banking party, just remember, you also have free will. And the only person who can take that away from you, is you. Please remember this on this year's very somber Labor Day where the REAL unemployment is north of 15% when you count those who stopped looking for work and those whose unemployment benefits have run out (higher in many demographics) and Republicans are actively targeting public labor unions like teachers, police and fire when
union participation in the U.S. is at an all-time low. It's been said it a recession when your neighbor is out of work but a DEPRESSION when YOU are out of work. Look around you and your neighborhood and city. Now is the time to double up your efforts and do what you can do. BTV's Maddy wraps it up: The NeoLibs are just as bad as the NeoCons. The only difference is who their masters are.....with the Cons it is the Defense/Energy industries........ with the Libs it is FIRE (Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate) Either way, they are out to destroy the world as we know it.....either through stupidity or guile......it matters not. Have a safe Labor Day and resolve to GET BUSY!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
»»» Vermont Gov. Shumlin @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW "We Are Still Under Siege": Vermont Gov. Shumlin on Catastrophic Flooding & Climate Change Aug 29, 2012
»»» Bill McKibben 350.org @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Bill McKibben: Will Hurricane Irene Be a Wake-Up Call about Climate Change? Aug 29, 2012
»»» Ken Squier, owner of WDEV WATCH NOW Vermont Radio Station Provides Crucial Details for Flooded Residents amidst Historic Devastation Aug 30, 2011 RELATED In Wake of Irene, Rural New Yorkers Turn to Community-Run "Watershed Post" Website as Prime News Hub Sept 2, 2011
»»» Lawrence Wilkerson @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Ex-Bush Official Col. Lawrence Wilkerson: "I am Willing to Testify" If Dick Cheney is Put on Trial Aug 30, 2011
»»» Ashley Joppa-Hagemann @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Army Ranger Widow Confronts Rumsfeld over His Lies that Convinced Her Husband to Join the Military Aug 30, 2011
»»» Vincent Cefalu ATF special agent @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW ATF Whistleblower: U.S. Gun Sting "Fast & Furious" Has Left Trail of "Crime Scenes and Dead Bodies" Aug 31, 2011
»»» Chuck Collins, senior scholar at the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW As Economy Lags, New Study Reveals 25 Top Firms Pay More to CEOs than in Taxes Sept 1, 2011
»»» Neil Sammonds, Syria researcher for Amnesty International WATCH NOW Amnesty International Decries Assad Regime’s "Brutal" Crackdown on Syrian Protesters Sept 1, 2011
»»» Charles Tiefer, University of Baltimore Law School & Sharon Weinberger, Center for Public Integrity @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW U.S. Wasting Billions While Tripling No-Bid Contracts After Decade of War in Iraq, Afghanistan Sept 2, 2011
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW Tim Wise: Dragging Racial Bias Into the Open
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» IndyCar on VS It's the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix! 2 pm et
»»» NASCAR on ESPN Night racing for the AdvoCare 500 from Atlanta Motor Speedway! Coverage begins at 7:30 pm et
»»» MLB on TBS Rangers @ Red Sox! 1:30 pm et
»»» Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN2 White Sox @ Tigers! 8 pm et
»»» Wednesday Night Doubleheader on ESPN Braves @ Phillies 7 pm et then Mariners @ Angels 10 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
CONSUMER WATCHDOGI WANT TO HELP COUNT ME IN! I want to help with a California ballot measure that will rollback health insurance rates by 20% and create a public option alternative to private insurance companies. Please keep me informed and let me know what I can do. SIGN UP NOWI WANT TO HELP Entire San Francisco Chronicle Front Page story from Thu Aug 25, 2001 at link!
October2011.org October 2011 is the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan and the beginning of the 2012 federal austerity budget. It is time to light the spark that sets off a true democratic, nonviolent transition to a world in which people are freed to create just and sustainable solutions. Take this pledge at October2011.org
- "I pledge that if any U.S. troops, contractors, or mercenaries remain in Afghanistan on Thursday, October 6, 2011, as that occupation goes into its 11th year, I will commit to being in Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C., with others on that day or the days immediately following, for as long as I can, with the intention of making it our Tahrir Square, Cairo, our Madison, Wisconsin, where we will NONVIOLENTLY resist the corporate machine by occupying Freedom Plaza to demand that America's resources be invested in human needs and environmental protection instead of war and exploitation. We can do this together. We will be the beginning."
CHANGE.ORG The First Cause: A Plan to Claim Food As Food We're losing the right to manage our own health. Even the right to choose our food is being stolen. We can stop it, but only by ending the basis on which it's being done—not by addressing each action. A new website has been set up to allow people to post responses from politicians, along with their own articles: Free Choice - Health Defining food as food is not the only issue that must be tackled, but it's a key one. As it gets rolling, we'll start others. We are literally in a battle for our lives!
If you're in Europe, click HERE to sign the petition.
If you're in the United States, click HERE to sign the petition. Do it NOW!
UPDATE! Watch this interview with constitutional law attorney Jonathan Emord on ProjectCamelotLive JONATHAN EMORD INTERVIEW
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net And Alan Grayson is running again in FL-8! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org UPDATE! Manning-Lamo Chat Logs Revealed at wired.com plus The Deeply Personal Details in New Bradley Manning Chat Logs and Bradley Manning Support Network Much more at link.
EMAIL UPDATE! Help us reach our goal of a half million by signing the petition, and passing it on. Add your name! AND Vote for Bradley in the 2011 Time Magazine 100 Poll here!
Add your name to this petition Eminent US legal scholars protest 'torture' of Bradley Manning.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,474 US Military Dead as of Sept 2, 2011
AFGHANISTAN: 1,756 US Military Dead as of Sept 2, 2011
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) with Christiane Amanpour - Jake Tapper live from Ames, Iowa
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint
• ABC's Bob Woodruff talks with Nader Hasan
• Christine Ferer of the 9/11 Memorial board
• ROUNDTABLE: ABC News senior political correspondent Jonathan Karl, conservative radio host Dana Loesch, The Washington Post's Michael Gerson, and the Chicago Tribune's Clarence Page
• ECONOMICS ROUNDTABLE: Nobel Prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, former economic adviser to Vice President Biden, Jared Bernstein, former director of the Congressional Budget Office Doug Holtz-Eakin, and Wall Street Journal White House Correspondent Carol Lee
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Republican presidential candidate Jon Huntsman
• Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• WikiLeaks - Julian Assange, the controversial founder of WikiLeaks, speaks to Steve Kroft about the U.S. attempt to indict him on criminal charges and the torrent of criticism aimed at him for publishing classified documents. Howard L. Rosenberg and Tanya Simon are the producers.
• Resurrecting the extinct -Scientists believe they can sustain endangered species - maybe even one day resurrect some that have died out - using DNA technology. Lesley Stahl reports. Shari Finkelstein and Meghan Frank are the producers.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• ROUNDTABLE: Tom Friedman; editorial page editor for the Wall Street Journal, Paul Gigot; congresswoman from California, Maxine Waters (D); co-founder of No Labels, Mark McKinnon; and Presidential Historian, Doris Kearns Goodwin.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) live from Iowa
At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Complete coverage of Hurricane Irene as it bears down on the Eastern seaboard. CNN has deployed unparalleled resources up and down the East Coast to keep you abreast of the storm’s movement and the damage left in its wake.
• Tea Party favorite, Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina
• Jim Hoffa, president of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters
• Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Senate Homeland Security Committee
• Rep. Mike Rogers, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee
• Time Magazine’s assistant managing editor Michael Duffy and New York Times White House correspondent Peter Baker
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of the conversation on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email: bob [at] headonradio [dot] com.
• Front Porch Friday!!!!!! Bob talks about the Tar Sands Action in D.C. Listen HERE (mp3)!
• BOB LIVE in DC Wed Aug 31 on Head-On With Bob Kincaid USTREAM Channel!
Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment!
Go see greennews.bradblog.com!
• SPECIAL 'Green News Report' - August 30, 2011 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Hurricane Irene Special Report: Assessing the damage, and the response; Catastrophic flooding in VT; Rightwing's nutty response to disaster (We're talking to you, Howard Kurtz, George Will, Eric Cantor & Ron Paul!); PLUS: Making the link with climate change - the corporate media won't do it, so we will ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Despite protests, Keystone oil sands pipeline moves one step closer to approval; NASA's Hansen: We Will Continue To Fight Tar Sands Pipeline; Climate scientist vindicated again; Koch Industries fighting against tougher national security rules on chemical plants; Calfornia's 'solar highways' faces regulatory speed bumps; Reversible OLED Solar building tiles light the night; Powering your car with old newspapers?; Wind Power Gains As Gear Improves; More oil drilling in Obama era than Bush era; Earthquake may have exceeded VA nuclear plant's safeguards; Source of Gulf oil sheen near BP oil well is unclear; After Recall, Egg Farms Rack Up Violations; UN warns new mutant strain of bird flu on the rise; Monsanto GMO corn losing bug resistance ... PLUS: Republicans Against Science ...
• 'Green News Report' - September 1, 2011 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Fox 'News' wants to abolish FEMA, but VT's Emergency Management team --- and even NJ Gov. Chris Christie(!) --- beg to differ; Talking energy innovation in Vegas; PLUS: Now even Snooki gets it! Well...um...sort of... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Letter from a Utah jail: Tim DeChristopher speaks; Solar setback: Solyndra files for bankruptcy; ConocoPhillips says 'virtually all' of China spill cleared; Germany sets renewables record; Oil shale mining would suck the West dry: report; Panel confirms fix was in at Japan's nuclear public meetings; Australia to get its first utility-scale solar plant; Attack of the Monsanto Superinsects; The greenest building on Earth; Rising Biomass Demand Could Drive Land Grabs: Report; Exxon Reaches Arctic Oil Deal With Russians; San Bruno Pipeline Explosion: 'A Failure of the Entire System' ... PLUS: NSFW: Don Cheadle IS Captain Planet! ... Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
BRADCAST UPDATE: Guest Hosting 'Malloy Show' Tuesday!.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• PBC Live! Weekly on KGO PBC Live! Weekly on KGO Your humble host has been remiss in keeping you apprised of his other media activities. Since February, I’ve been hosting a regular weekly show on KGO, the leading San Francisco talk station with a huge coverage area–at night, you can hear it anywhere on the West Coast. TFN (till further notice), you can hear me every Friday night–or, more precisely, Saturday morning, from 1-5 am (PDT) on 810-AM or streaming at www.kgoradio.com. If you’d like to be alerted each week, sign up on Facebook as a fan of “Peter B. Collins Show” or you can follow me on Twitter, @pbcsf
• PBC Podcast 283 Prof. Graeme MacQueen on Toronto 9/11 Hearings; Author Arthur Naiman on “9/11 The Simple Facts” Ralph Steiner is a journalist with a background in physics who has investigated the 1947 Roswell UFO event for many years. With credit and thanks to Steiner’s archives, we include interview clips from many credible people, framed by the rich detail of Steiner’s commentary. It’s a follow-up to our interview with Annie Jacobsen about her book Area 51 in PBC podcast 266 on 6/22/11.
• PBC Podcast 284 Journalist Russ Baker on Libya’s “Liberation” and Who’s really Behind It; Will Durst on the Plethora of GOP Pledges Russ Baker, who publishes at WhoWhatWhy reveals important factors about the “uprising” in Libya, including a probable French connection, and the false perception that the US was “leading from behind”. He also responds to a fresh report that the CIA sent 1,500 Afghan mercenaries to Libya. Will Durst pokes fun at Republican pledges.
• PBC Podcast 285 Journalist Joe Lauria on the Arab Spring Joe Lauria returns in this Boiling Frogs interview, co-hosted with Sibel Edmonds. He just finished a 3-month tour of the Middle East, and reports on the changes in the region, with special focus on Egypt. He also comments on the recent Murdoch phone hacking scandal.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! September 2, 2011
• This week on Ring of Fire: Daily Beast correspondent Rick Outzen joins Mike to help discuss the biggest news of the week.
• Author Elliot Cohen will be here to tell us how media outlets like News Corp are able to get away with spying on US citizens.
• John Amato, founder of the Crooks and Liars blog, will be joining us to discuss Dick Cheney’s lie-filled new memoir.
• David DeGraw from the Amped Status blog will be here to talk about how the federal reserve’s policies, along with climate change, are restricting access to goods that we desperately need.
• Andy Kroll from Mother Jones will join us to discuss the populist uprising in Wisconsin that should be used as a the framework for a nationwide populist movement.
• Author Christian Parenti will join us to discuss how climate change and a lack of access to resources are helping spur some of the conflicts around the globe.
• We’ll hear from blogger Chauncey DeVega about how racism is still the driving force behind the Tea Party movement.
• And attorney Chris Paulos will join us to discuss the dangerous side effect of the diabetes drug Actos.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the “Podcast” tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm (4 pm on XM 167) featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• Sam Seder Talks with John Amato of Crooks and Liars [08•25•11]
• Cliff Schecter and Sam Seder talk the week in news [09•02•11]
MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityreport.official.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts “The Truth About Markets” on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s “People & Power” series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• VIDEO! The Official Silver Liberation Army! See SilverLiberationArmy.com !
• VIDEO! Max Keiser Standup Rage Mott St. NYC; August 2nd, 2011 In two parts, about 90 minutes. Must Watch!
• VIDEO! Max on the Big Screen!?!? Watch "Four Horsemen - Official Trailer"
• VIDEO Ned Naylor-Leyland talks to James Turk
• A Fulbright scholar asks, “How long until riots come to America?” by maxkeiser - READ The New Era Of Capitalism Brings More Inequality And Unrest at businessinsider.com Of course the real question being asked here is how long before white people in America start rioting. And we know that the trigger point is when food gets to 40% cost of income. Right now, for America’s crackers, it’s about 12%.
• “After watching its stock tank 50% this year while denying that it needed capital, Bank of America’s management has begun to acknowledge reality.” by maxkeiser - READ Here’s The Bomb That Might Blow A Hole In Bank Of America… at businessinsider.com
• Arianna needs to get beaten with a clue stick by maxkeiser No, more deficit spending is not the answer. Arianna you need to get to grips with the fact that the U.S./World banking system is suffering from a systemic collapse. Trillions are being poured into it, but it’s not flowing through the system – the same way pumping water through a town’s water system won’t get to where you want it to – if there’s a main line break. All you get is flooding and this is what we see in the prices of food. Cheap money flooding prices higher, to the point past the key 40% of income levels, that lead to riots and revolutions has been breached: Tunis and Egypt, for example. It’s just crazy that the left (Krugman, Reich, Arianna) want to expand deficit spending and the right wants to impose austerity. Both approaches assume a functioning, underlying banking conduit system that can successfully transmit money from various points of the economy with some degree of efficiency. This just isn’t the case. The proof is in the widening wealth/income gaps despite the tens of trillions printed and spent. The U.S. is drowning in debt-backed fiat paper and the rich left and rich right in America are arguing over place settings in the one room in the Titanic that hasn’t flooded yet.
• KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Redback vs Greenback (E177)
• KEISER REPORT [KR178] Keiser Report: Cheap Slaves of Deflation We interview Isa Blumi
• KEISER REPORT  Keiser Report: Greed of no Boundaries MAX discusses Christine Legarde's "New Plantation Model"
• ON THE EDGE [OTE121] On the Edge with Paul Craig Roberts
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Dr. Michael Hudson Interview with Dr. Michael Hudson. Hudson maintains that President Obama’s second-term plan is to shrink US wages by 30% because his Chicago-school casino capitalist backers demand it.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM1214] – The Truth About Markets – 27 August 2011. Download mp3 HERE
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1215] The Truth About Market Prolapse. Download mp3 HERE Donations to ResonanceFM here.
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Pepe Escobar August 27, 2011: Pepe Escobar, journalist and author of Obama Does Globalistan, discusses his article “R2P is now Right 2 Plunder” about the great fortunes to be made rebuilding Libya and extracting its natural resources; how al-Qaeda operative Abdelhakim Belhadj led the rebel onslaught on Tripoli; concern in Washington about the outcome of NATO regime change – helping install a Taliban-like regime in N. Africa won’t help Obama’s reelection chances; why the Saudi monarchy would prefer a friendly emirate, hard core Sunni government; and the huge stockpile of gold and money available to whatever new government takes hold. This interview was broadcast on KPFK 90.7 FM Los Angeles on August 26th.
• John Glaser August 30, 2011: John Glaser, Assistant Editor at Antiwar.com, discusses the NY Times article “U.S. Tactics in Libya May Be a Model for Other Efforts” about a supposed victory for the “Obama doctrine;” resurrecting the “America is a force for good” meme, where foreign policy exists solely to prevent humanitarian disasters and spread freedom and democracy; the Libyan rebels’ racist reprisals against black Africans, failing to differentiate between pro-Gadhafi mercenaries and migrant workers; and why the overt media sympathy for the rebel cause will sour once Gadhafi is dead or deposed for good.13Ak01.html" target="_blank">Why the Syrian Regime won't fall at AsiaTimes
• Eli Clifton August 30, 2011: Eli Clifton, National Security Reporter for ThinkProgress.org, discusses his co-authored report “Fear, Inc.: The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America” naming the names of the organizations, bankrollers and bloggers that drive the fear and loathing of Muslims; why frenzies of bigotry and intolerance tend to disappear almost overnight, once the spell wears off; and a few positive signs, like Herman Cain and Rick Perry eschewing anti-Islamic rhetoric in their presidential primary campaigns..
• Gareth Porter Septmber 1, 2011: Gareth Porter, independent historian and journalist for IPS News, discusses his trip to Pakistan, where his investigative efforts were stonewalled by the US military and the UN; upcoming articles on US drone strikes and excessive reliance on cell phone intercepts for drawing up the “hit” list; his article “Hariri Bombing Indictment Based on Flawed Premise” about how communications link analysis (or six degrees of Kevin Bacon) is used to prove preconceived ideas, not find the truth; and how the UN tribunal investigating Lebanon Prime Minister Rafik Hariri’s assassination ignored evidence of al-Qaeda’s complicity to focus on four Hezbollah suspects.
Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• former Vice President Dick Cheney
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml