Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
The 47% vs. the 0.1% The Nation's Nathan Schnieder explains Occupy, After Occupy .....During the fall of 2011, op-ed pages and cable news shows constantly referred to "the Occupy protests" and tried their darnedest to explain what exactly had caused this sudden and unhygienic uprising. The encampments last fall indisputably "changed the conversation," specifically by enabling the country to talk about wealth and inequality again. In many cases, Occupy even provoked an analysis of corporate domination over politics and everyday life. But after the dismantling of the Zuccotti Park encampment in November 2011, the media lost interest, lending the impression that the movement no longer exists. But those, like Bold, who are part of that rarefied clique of Occupiers still pressing on have reasons to think otherwise. "Sleepful protest" encampments continue on the sidewalk in front of Trinity Church at the top of Wall Street and at other sites around the country. There are still more meetings going on than one can count, many of which are laying the plans for the one-year anniversary actions on September 17. Some are even being held under the Hare Krishna Tree in Tompkins Square Park, where planning meetings took place for the original occupation, and with about the same number of people. A year later, the déjà vu is palpable, complete with much the same precariousness, naïveté and uncertainty. Something is happening, but you don’t know what it is. ........ The movement’s real accomplishment, however, has been even more significant than just "changing the conversation." Because news reporters don’t make a habit of paying attention to grassroots activists the way they follow presidential exercise habits or wobbly stock tickers, they’re not attuned to the sea change brought about by Occupy. But people organizing for economic justice—especially young people—now know one another. They’ve practiced direct democracy in general assemblies and risked their bodies in direct action. They’re talking with each other over networks that they created themselves, as well as traveling together and building their capacity for future action. ...... Distance and time—as well as involvement in ongoing local struggles—have lessened many people’s attachment to the Occupy label. "I’ve been working with all the same people I worked with in Occupy," said Kate Savage, who specialized in facilitating assemblies at Occupy Nashville, "only it’s not called ‘Occupy’ for a variety of reasons." For many issues and on many fronts, onetime Occupiers are finding that the Occupy brand—and all the associations that come with it—can sometimes hurt more than it helps. Thus, the internally splintering movement shows signs of morphing into a productively subdivided movement of movements. One example of this has been this summer’s escalating wave of direct actions against the worst culprits of the environmental crisis. For the first time, a fracking well was blockaded and shut down in Pennsylvania, and a mountaintop-removal coal mine in West Virginia, at the request of local residents, received similar treatment. The Keystone XL oil pipeline, which inspired protests at the White House last year, now has locals and out-of-towners putting their bodies in the way of construction in Texas. In New York State, the fight is against the Spectra pipeline, which would funnel explosive fracked natural gas into parts of Manhattan. At each of these protests, Occupy veterans have brought their bravado, their experience and their networks with them. "Lots of folks are going from eco-action to eco-action," said Longenecker. "They’re building their skill sets." .... Very good so read it all! Moving on to our environment Pratap Chatterjee at CorpWatch reports Stanford Organics Study A “Fraud” – Linked to Cargill & Tobacco Money A new study, issued by scientists at the Freeman Spogli institute at Stanford university in California, that suggests that organic food has no medical or health values is deeply flawed, say outraged activists. .... NGOs immediately questioned the conclusions of the study. "There was just no way that truly independent scientists with the expertise required to adequately answer such an important question would ignore the vast and growing body of scientific literature pointing to serious health risks from eating foods produced with synthetic chemicals," says Charlotte Vallaeys, food and farm policy director at the Cornucopia Institute Institute, an organic farm policy organization in Wisconsin. "Make no mistake, the Stanford organics study is a fraud," says Mike Adams of Naturalnews.com and Anthony Gucciardi of Naturalsociety.org. "The mainstream media has fallen for an elaborate scientific hoax that sought to destroy the credibility of organic foods by claiming they are "no healthier" than conventional foods (grown with pesticides and genetically modified organisms).” Adams and Gucciardi note that Dr. Ingram Olkin, a co-author of the organics study and a professor emeritus in statistics at Stanford, has deep financial ties to Cargill, the agribusiness multinational which sells genetically engineered foods. Olkin also accepted money from the tobacco industry’s Council for Tobacco Research, according to letters dating back to 1976. ..... “To say that conventional foods are safe is like saying that cigarettes are safe,” adds Adams. “Both can be propagandized with fraudulent science funded by corporate donations to universities, and we’re seeing the same scientist who helped Big Tobacco now helping Big Biotech in their attempt to defraud the public." ...... See “The Devil is in the Details” for a good technical review of the Stanford study, authored by Dr Charles Benbrook, former executive director of the subcommittee of the House Committee on Agriculture in the U.S. Congress, that explains the scientific errors. Next MoJo's Ag reporter Tom Philpott exclaims Waiter, There's Arsenic in My Rice As I've reported before, the US poultry industry has a disturbing habit of feeding arsenic to chickens. Arsenic, it turns out, helps control a common bug that infects chicken meat, and also gives chicken flesh a pink hue, which the industry thinks consumers want. Is all that arsenic making it into our food supply? It appears to be doing so—both in chicken meat and in, of all things, rice. In a just released report, Consumer Reports says it found significant levels of arsenic in a variety of US rice products—including in brown rice and organic rice, and in rice-based kids' products like cereal and even baby formula. Driving the point home, CR's analysis of a major population study found that people who consume a serving of rice get a 44 percent spike in the arsenic level in their urine. Rice is particularly effective at picking up arsenic from soil, CR reports, "in part because it is one of the only major crops grown in water-flooded conditions, which allow arsenic to be more easily taken up by its roots and stored in the grains." Arsenic, CR reports, is classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a "group 1" carcinogen—meaning that it's among the globe's most potent cancer inducers. And getting regular exposure to even small amounts of it can be troubling. Here's CR: [....] So what does arsenic-laced rice have to do with feeding arsenic to chicken? Well, it's impossible to tell the ultimate source of the arsenic that gets taken up by rice, and it's true, as the US Rice Federation says on its web site, that it is "a naturally occurring element in soil and water." But as Nature reported in 2005, US rice carries "1.4 to 5 times more arsenic than rice from Europe, India and Bangladesh." What gives? Here in the United States, we've added massive amounts of arsenic to the environment over the decades. How much? Here's Consumer Reports: [.....] ..... Now, unfortunately, chicken litter from large industrial operations is also commonly used as fertilizer on organic farms—which may explain why several organic products, like Lundberg brand short-grain organic brown rice (which I have in my pantry, via the bulk section of my local food co-op), appeared on CR's list with relatively high levels of arsenic. To its credit, however, Lundberg Family Farms, a major California producer of organic rice, is taking the issue seriously—it is "testing more than 200 samples of the many varieties of rice in its supply chain and plans to share the results with FDA scientists," CR reports. The conventional rice industry, meanwhile, is mostly in denial, though USA Rice Federation did tell Consumer Reports that it is "working with the FDA and the EPA as they examine and assess arsenic levels in food and has supplied rice samples to those agencies for research." What's the takeaway from all of this? Read the whole piece and see the excellent maps! If you're not familiar with Tom Philpott, cofounder of Maverick Farms, a center for sustainable food education in Valle Crucis, North Carolina, listen to his interview with Terry Gross on Fresh Air from last June Assessing Consumer Concerns About The Meat Industry. WARNING: Do NOT be sitting down for a meal while listening!
For some good news Victoria Colliver at SFGate reports on how a
Pot compound seen as tool against cancer Marijuana, already shown to reduce pain and nausea in cancer patients, may be promising as a cancer-fighting agent against some of the most aggressive forms of the disease. A growing body of early research shows a compound found in marijuana - one that does not produce the plant's psychotropic high - seems to have the ability to "turn off" the activity of a gene responsible for metastasis in breast and other types of cancers. Two scientists at San Francisco's California Pacific Medical Center Research Institute first released data five years ago that showed how this compound - called cannabidiol - reduced the aggressiveness of human breast cancer cells in the lab. ..... When McAllister and Desprez exposed the cells to cannabidiol in a petri dish, the cells not only stopped acting "crazy" but they also started to revert to a normal state. Both scientists were shocked. "We thought we did the experiment the wrong way," McAllister said. But they got the same results each time they did it. "I told Sean, 'Maybe your drug is working through my gene,' " Desprez said. What they found is that the cannabinoid turns off the overexpression of ID-1, which makes the cells lose their ability to travel to distant tissues. In other words, it keeps the cells more local and blocks their ability to metastasize. Cancer kills through its ability to metastasize. The researchers stressed cannabidiol works only on cancer cells that have these high levels of ID-1 and these do not include all cancerous tumors but, rather, aggressive, metastatic cells. But they've found such high levels in leukemia, colorectal, pancreatic, lung, ovarian, brain and other cancers. ...... Still, no one is suggesting that patients with metastatic cancer smoke or ingest marijuana to absorb this potentially cancer-fighting compound. While cannabidiol, or CBD, is the second-most abundant cannabinoid within marijuana, it has largely been bred out of the plant in favor of a higher percentage of THC, the active chemical that causes the psychotropic high widely associated with the plant. While cannabidiol, or CBD, is the second-most abundant cannabinoid within marijuana, it has largely been bred out of the plant in favor of a higher percentage of THC, the active chemical that causes the psychotropic high widely associated with the plant.......
Now for some disappointing news from Freya Petersen at the Global Post British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB) 'fit and proper' company to hold UK license UK regulators have deemed British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB) a "fit and proper" company to hold an operating license but slammed former chairman James Murdoch for his handling of the phone hacking scandal. Ofcom, Britain's media regulator, said there was no evidence linking the pay-TV firm — 39 percent owned by News Corp. — to phone hacking at the tabloid News of the World, according to Reuters. Nor did it assert that James Murdoch — son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. deputy chief operating officer and former Sky and News International chairman — was complicit in a cover-up of phone hacking, The Independent wrote. However, it pointed to his failure to uncover the problems at News of the World earlier and criticized him for his "lack of action" over the phone-hacking affair that led to the News International newspaper's closure in July 2011. Ofcom — which has clashed repeatedly with BSkyB in the past — reportedly said:"We consider James Murdoch's conduct, including his failure to initiate action on his own account on a number of occasions, to be both difficult to comprehend and ill-judged." ..... Ofcom said there were no grounds to conclude that Rupert Murdoch had acted inappropriately. News Corp. issued a response to the ruling on Thursday, saying that while it was "pleased," it disagreed "with certain of the report’s statements about James Murdoch’s prior actions as an executive and director."
From our own ljm
- This one is worth reading for the history of how the right took over pretty much everything. The Nation's Katrina vanden Heuvel Progressives must work to retake the Supreme Court. Bill Black wrote about Powell's corporatist memo at Naked Capitalism. Bill Black: My Class, right or wrong – the Powell Memorandum’s 40th Anniversary. There's also a DVD titled HEIST – Who Stole The American Dream?, which is showing now at various places around the country. The film is supposed to do a better job of explaining how we got here than INSIDE JOB.
Next Malloy chatter cmaa825 remarked last week "I know some of these brain washed fools. They're active duty military and retirees who are gonna splooge all over themselves when they vote for Romney and the other right wingers in Nov. They dont' care that these right wing suck wads refused to pass a veterans jobs bill yesterday...un fucking believable." Strong words no doubt but Steve Benen at MaddowBlog has the scoop Senate Republicans kill veterans' jobs bill With a major national election just seven weeks away, senators would have to be out of their minds to reject a jobs bill for U.S. military veterans, right? Apparently not.
- Veterans won't be getting a new, billion-dollar jobs program, not from this Senate. Republicans on Wednesday afternoon blocked a vote on the Veterans Job Corps Bill after Jeff Sessions of Alabama raised a point of order -- he said the bill violated a cap on spending agreed to by Congress last year. The bill's sponsor, Patty Murray of Washington, said that shouldn't matter, since the bill's cost was fully offset by new revenues. She said Mr. Sessions and his party colleagues had been furiously generating excuses to oppose the bill, and were now exploiting a technicality to deny thousands of veterans a shot at getting hired as police officers, firefighters and parks workers, among other things.
Robert Reich penned two posts last week we can't get our heads around Why Romney and Ryan are Going Down last Sunday then Four Reasons Why Romney Might Still Win on Thursday. Read those and see what you think. Then he follows those up with What Mitt Romney Really Represents on Friday. It’s not just his giant income or the low tax rates he pays on it. And it’s not just the videotape of him berating almost half of America, or his endless gaffes, or his regressive budget policies. It’s something that unites all of this, and connects it to the biggest underlying problem America faces — the unprecedented concentration of wealth and power at the very top that’s undermining our economy and destroying our democracy. .....Romney just released his 2011 tax returns, showing he paid $1.9 million in taxes on more than $13 million of income last year — for an effective tax rate of 14.1 percent. (He released his 2010 return in January, showing he paid an effective tax rate of 13.9 percent.) (Note: this income level firmly places Willard in the 0.1% -Ed.) .....But Mitt Romney is not a traitor to his class. He is a sponsor of his class. He wants to cut their taxes by $3.7 trillion over the next decade, and hasn’t even specified what “loopholes” he’d close to make up for this gigantic giveaway. And he wants to cut benefits that almost everyone else relies on — Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, food stamps, unemployment insurance, and housing assistance. He’s even a warrior for his class, telling his wealthy followers his job isn’t to worry about the “47 percent” of Americans who won’t vote for him, whom he calls “victims” and he berates for not paying federal incomes taxes and taking federal handouts. ..... In other words, everything America is learning about Mitt Romney — his tax returns, his years at Bain Capital, the video of his speech to high-end donors in which he belittles half of America, his gaffes, the budget policies he promotes — repeat and reenforce the same underlying reality. So much wealth and power have accumulated at the top of America that our economy and our democracy are seriously threatened. Romney not only represents this problem. He is the living embodiment of it. Indeed. Regarding MoJo's blockbuster hit the Full Secret Video of Private Romney Fundraiser NYT's resident CONservative David Brooks has the funniest headline this week about Thurston Howell Romney (For those who don't know who Thurston Howell III is, he was the millionaire on the 60's sitcom "Gilligan's Island")
"... there is nothing in my report that "debunks" the video." ...... Slate's Dave Weigel has weighed in as well: "By calling the whole tape "debunked" and "selectively edited," the campaign's hewing closer to the Breitbart.com argument -- the real story is liberal media-Obama collusion. And the result is a sort of paradox, in which Romney stands by what he said in a video that you can't trust." It was bizarre...... The few sentences not included in that clip—but which were included in the full transcript and complete tape we released—do not a debunking make. This maneuver smacks of desperation from a campaign hurt by the undeniable words of its candidate.
At Crooks & Liars karoli's blog posts Lawrence O'Donnell Rewrites Smear of Eric Holder with video! One of the moments that hasn't really been talked about much is the question posed to Mitt Romney in that donor's dinner about Eric Holder. At least, it hasn't been talked about much until now. The question itself was right out of Fox News' talking points. I would love to know who asked it. Here's the relevant part, via Mother Jones' transcript: [.....You know, you had cases like Solyndra and [unintelligible] that I've talked about and gotten involved in. You have Eric Holder who is probably the most corrupt attorney general that we had ever in American history. ....] I'm guessing this person might be someone involved in finance or something. But that crack about Eric Holder? Where does that come from? Lawrence explains, and he does it with appropriate emphasis. After completely undoing the assertion that Eric Holder is the "most corrupt attorney general...in American history" by reminding the audience about John Mitchell, Nixon's attorney general and the first-ever attorney general to serve a prison sentence. But wait, there's more. John Mitchell was succeeded by the forgettable Richard Kleindeinst, who resigned on the same day John Dean was fired and Erlichman and Haldeman quit. He was right in the center of the Watergate scandal, too. Moving on to the Reagan administration, we had Edwin Meese, who resigned because of his association with a Bechtel pipeline. Meese's fingerprints are all over the right-wing non-profit organizations that cause so much grief today, by the way. On and on it goes. John Ashcroft and Alberto Gonzales, for example. But to this megabucks donor, Eric Holder is the most corrupt US Attorney General in history, which is only possible if you use Google searches or watch Fox News, because the right wing has gamed search results to spit out his name if you search on any combination of words like Attorney General and corrupt......Lawrence will explain it better, but really it comes to this: Eric Holder is the NRA's most hated man, and he's black, too.
Fellow Clevelander Andy Borowitz at The Borowitz Report scoops A Letter from Ann Romney NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report)—The Borowitz Report has obtained the following confidential letter from Ann Romney to members of the Republican Party....
- ....By signing the pledge form below, you become an official member of Ann Romney’s Circle of Silence, an élite tier of the Romney for President Campaign. As a member of the C.O.S., you will receive priority ticketing to the Inauguration, as well as a collectible “Loose Lips Sink Mitt” ball gag. All you have to do is shut the freak up until Election Day. That’s right, for the next forty-six days, I’m asking you to bite your tongue every time Mitt says or does something idiotic. If you think that sounds difficult, welcome to my world. And Peggy Noonan, if you’re reading this: you want a piece of Ann Romney? Then get in the ring, girlfriend, and I’ll mess you up good.
Our BTV LAST WORD Romney Apologizes To Nation's 150 Million 'Starving, Filthy Beggars' SALT LAKE CITY—Seeking to limit the fallout from a videotaped speech in which he asserts 47 percent of Americans “pay no taxes” and do not take “personal responsibility and care for their lives,” Mitt Romney hastily called a press conference today to apologize personally to the “150 million starving, filthy beggars [he] might have offended.” Saying that he deeply regretted his choice of words at a private $50,000-a-plate fundraising function in May—during which he argued “[his] job is not to worry” about the lower-earning half of the nation’s populace—Romney personally appealed to the country’s “dirt-caked garbage pickers and toothless street urchins” for forgiveness. “First and foremost, I would like to offer a heartfelt apology to all the whores, junkies, bums, and grime-covered derelicts out there who make up nearly half our nation,” a visibly contrite and solemn Romney said outside a campaign stop at a local high school. “Let me assure you that I in no way meant to offend any of the putrid-smelling, barefoot masses out there. My campaign is not about dividing this nation, but about bringing all sides together—the rich, elegant members of the upper class, as well as the 47 percent who are covered in flies and eat directly from back-alley dumpsters.” “I am fully committed to building a better future for every American,” Romney continued, “and that means ensuring all 150 million grease-and-urine-soaked members of our society get a fair shake.” .... ....the campaign opted to convene a press event to allow Romney to speak directly to the nation’s “grimy panhandlers and coke-addled whores” so that he could issue an apology and explain his familiarity with their struggles. “I know just how hard it must be to get through a miserable, destitute life that is rife with crying babies whose shrieks consistently disrupt the affluent members of society who actually contribute something to this world,” said the GOP candidate, adding that he wanted to make amends for his recent statements and reach out to what he called the country’s “snaggle-toothed street people” and “hell-spawned savages.” “I know it can be challenging to wake each morning, covered in your own feces and refuse, and get back out there on the streets to beg for spare change and food scraps, always one step from dying right there in an alley.” “I know your challenges, and I am ready to fight for you,” he added. Romney also said he recognized that the hardships of the nation’s low-earners are made more difficult by the fact that so “very, very many of them are drug-addicted, high-school-dropout single mothers and fathers who sleep in gutters while sewer rats nibble at their necrotic flesh.” In an effort to right his campaign and rebuild his image, Romney promised to bring his message of compassion and economic opportunity to the “ramshackle, mud-floored huts” in which half of all U.S. residents live. “Let me make this absolutely clear: I have the utmost respect for all of the filth-encrusted, lesion-covered degenerates of this nation,” Romney said. “In the coming weeks, I look forward to meeting real Americans in their squalid, roach-infested hellholes in every corner of this country. I promise to stand up for every one of you, even the 47 percent of you huddled together for warmth, fighting your own family members for moldy crusts of bread as you wallow in your own excrement.” Added Romney, “And I look forward to serving you as your next president.” For the ever satire-challenged teabagger part of Thurston's 47% that was in The Onion! And it is SPOT ON! ROFL! Do you teabaggers feel SOLD OUT yet? THIS JUST IN from WashingtonsBlog Third Party Candidate – Who Is On the Ballot In All 50 States – Files Lawsuit Demanding Inclusion in Presidential Debates The Presidential Debate Commission (PDC) is run by former chairmen of the Democratic and Republican parties. The debates almost always exclude third-party candidates. Gary Johnson is looking to change that. The Libertarian candidate for president – who will be on all 50 states’ ballots this election, and who is currently polling at around 5% of the vote – Johnson (and his vice presidential running mate, retired judge Jim Gray) have filed an antitrust lawsuit against the PDC for excluding them from the debates.... We at the Brick TeeVee compound think Libertarians are CONservatives who want to smoke pot and get laid and not be held accountable for their "freedom" actions that hurt people, the environment and self-rule democracy. Aside from their anti-war and Federal Reserve stances the Libertarians want to do as they please, "boot straps" and all, to limit women's choice and degrade the environment at will. Their ultimate goal lines up precisely with the KOOK BROS-funded American Legislative Council (ALEC). Taken as a whole Rand/Ron Paul/Ayn Rand types are anti-social psychopaths, believing they have created roads, indoor plumbing, scientific discoveries of all sorts that they enjoy every day, things created by our COLLECTIVE DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY. We're still in the Green Party's Jll Stein camp. Jill Stein and Cheri Honkala will appear on at least 85% of the ballots cast this November. Vote GREEN if yer state is SOLID RED or SOLID BLUE! Keep them on the ballot for years to come! We digress....yer corporomedia will dissect the Headroom Kamp's strategy ad nauseum without mentioning anything HERE AT BTV except ROBERT REICH on This Snufagopolis who tells MAN COULTER she should just grow a beard and get it over with already. While yer watching throw bricks at RINSE PROBISCUS battling WH apologist DAVID AXELROD. Meet the David gets MA guvnor DEVAL PATRICK vs. NH Senator KELLY AYOTTTE. Our BTV Cage Match of the Week goes to State of the Candy featuring DICK "Banks Frankly Own The Place" DURBIN vs. smarmy LINDSEY GRAHAM! But for "real" coverage we defer to 60 Minutes "special hour focusing on the two men running for president" right after FOOTBALL at a "special time" 7:30-8:30 p.m. ET and 7:00-8:00 p.m. PT if you wanna look into what the corporomedia is presenting to The Public PLUS Face the Bob with BILL CLINTON. And if you can stand it BOB GIBBS tries the troglodytes at FAKE SNOOZE so throw a few more bricks SCOTT WALKER's way if you have any left. Give it a rest! Go to the *FREE* PBC show Update on Challenge to NDAA Detention Law: Attorney Carl Mayer Details ObamaCo’s Legal Wrangling and Explains Judge’s Ruling No subscription needed! Look for JUAN COLE on Ring of Fire with JOSH EIDELSON on the Chicago Teachers Strike, D-DAY and CLIFF SCHECTER with Sam and do stop by Max for incredible silver market news and more! And GritTV's LAURA FLANDERS sits in for BILL MOYERS! Nice! Don't forget to check out our "GO READ" links in the right column! Great stuff daily! Hourly even! Have a great Sunday and a great week! Occupy somewhere!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
Monday, September 17, 2012
- Occupy 1st Anniversary Occupy Wall Street Protesters Swarm NYC Financial District to Mark 1st Anniversary of 99% Struggle PLUS Roundtable: After 1 Year, OWS Gives Voice to Resistance of Crippling Debt and Widening Inequality AND Occupy Sunset Park: 99% Solidarity Takes Root in Brooklyn Community Where Tenants Stage Rent Strike WITH After Weekend Protests See 50 Arrests, Protesters Detained in Early-Morning Action on Wall Street
- Paul Abowd, Center for Public Integrity Michigan a Key Battleground for Labor Rights with Votes on Emergency Managers, Collective Bargaining
- Marcy Wheeler From Guantánamo to NDAA: Obama Admin Bids to Preserve Indefinite Detention at Home and Abroad
- Detropia Detropia: New Doc Takes Intimate Look at Detroit’s Struggle with Manufacturing Collapse, Urban Decay
- Karen LewisChicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis: Deal Ending Strike a Victory for Education
- David Cay Johnston Romney’s Dismissal of "Dependent" 47% in Line with Tax Policies Favoring the "Country Club" 1%
- David Corn Mother Jones Reporter David Corn on Revealing the Secret Romney Video That’s Upended 2012 Campaign
- Sensata Technologies DN! Exclusive: Live from Illinois Where Workers Demand Romney Visit Before Bain Sends Jobs to China AND “Bainport, a Taste of the Romney Economy”: Bain Plant Workers Fight Outsourcing Their Jobs to China
- Troy Davis Remembering Troy Davis: Questions Remain over Whether Georgia Executed Innocent Man One Year Ago AND Troy Davis One Year Later: Execution Fuels National Movement to Abolish Death Penalty
- Alfred McCoy, professor of history at University of Wisconsin-Madison As Italy Sentences 23 CIA Agents in Rendition Case, Obama Refuses to Prosecute Anyone for Torture
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
- Lawmakers concerned about the health effects on humans from mountaintop removal coal mining set forth legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives today. Representatives Dennis Kucinich (OH), Louise Slaughter (NY), Maurice Hinchey (NY), Earl Blumenauer (OR), Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA), John Yarmuth (KY), Lynn Woolsey (CA), Judy Chu (CA), Raúl Grijalva (AZ), James Moran (VA), Michael Honda (CA), John Conyers (MI), and Keith Ellison (MN) introduced the Appalachian Communities Health Emergency (ACHE) Act [H.R. 5959] which would place a moratorium on permitting for mountaintop removal coal mining until health studies are conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services. The ACHE coalition presently consists of participants from Coal River Mountain Watch, Mountain Health and Heritage Association, and Christians for the Mountains. “We encourage you, if you’re concerned about mountaintop removal’s effect on your community’s health, to join us in making your voice heard,” said Allen Johnson, executive director of Christians for the Mountains. “Please contact us, learn about the issue, and take action to protect your community.”
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• Obama campaign senior adviser David Axelrod
• Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus
• ROUNDTABLE: Republican strategist and ABC News political analyst and contributor Nicolle Wallace; former Obama domestic policy adviser Melody Barnes; conservative commentator Ann Coulter, author of the new book "Mugged"; Univision anchor Jorge Ramos; and University of California, Berkeley professor and former Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• President Bill Clinton
• ROUNDTABLE: Mother Jones' David Corn, The Wall Street Journal's Peggy Noonan, TIME Magazine's Managing Editor Richard Stengel, former Clinton adviser and Harvard University Professor David Gergen and CBS News' John Dickerson
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• NOTE NEW TIME:A special hour focusing on the two men running for president of the U.S. to be broadcast Sunday, Sept. 23 at 7:30-8:30 p.m. ET and 7:00-8:00 p.m. PT. Campaign 2012 - In separate interviews and for the whole hour, the president and his challenger will answer questions on the topics of critical interest to America's voters, including the economy and jobs, healthcare, national security and the federal budget. Scott Pelley interviews Governor Mitt Romney. The producers are Robert Anderson and Nicole Young. Steve Kroft interviews President Barack Obama. The producers are L. Franklin Devine and Michael Radutzky.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Obama backer Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA)
• key Romney supporter Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
• ROUNDTABLE: Mayor of Atlanta Kasim Reed, senior Romney adviser Bay Buchanan, host of "Morning Joe" Joe Scarborough, David Brooks of the New York Times, and Democratic strategist Dee Dee Myers.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL)
• Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
• House Intelligence Chairman Mike Rogers (R)
• pollsters Whit Ayres and Anna Greenberg
• ROUNDTABLE: Susan Page of USA Today and CNN Senior Political Analyst Ron Brownstein.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• FRONT PORCH FRIDAY!!!!! Grab a cold one and put up yer feet! Listen HERE (mp3) NOW! Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - September 20, 2012 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: One day later, Japan reverses planned nuclear phase-out; Romney and Republicans fight for Big Coal - with unpaid labor; New record HOT ocean temps cause lobster glut in Northeast; PLUS: Putting their bodies on the line to stop the dirty Keystone XL pipeline ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): US wind industry withers with end of tax credit; False balance lives: PBS FAIL on climate science; Bolivia protects unique pink dolphins; FDA to investigate arsenic in rice; Insurance companies won't pay for climate disasters; UK slams Trump's misleading anti-wind ad; Mexico pipeline explosion kills 28; GM corn study draws skepticism ... PLUS: Existing technologies could halve fuel efficiency. So why aren't we using them? ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Voter Suppression Video of the Moment: The GOP Photo ID Scam Explained in Under 8 Minutes (And what you can do to help counter it.) I'm in this short video --- just out tonight from John Wellington Ennis, filmmaker of one of my favorite Election Integrity documentaries, Free For All: One Dude's Quest to Save Democracy and the forthcoming Pay to Play: Democracy’s High Stakes --- but don't let that keep you from watching it. It's very good and has a bunch of other folks in it who are really smart. Ennis, who is also one of the founders of the very important Video the Vote project, has a way of making difficult ideas easy to understand and entertaining to watch. He does so again here...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! 'USA Today' Notices: 'Electronic Voting is The Real Threat to Elections' USA Today takes a moment to mention that point in an unbylined editorial headlined 'Electronic voting is the real threat to elections'. Their headline may understate the very real concerns about access to the polls, because these two issues --- both access to the polls and accurate, transparent tabulation of ballots --- have always been two sides of the same coin. Both issues must be assured for an election with anything close to integrity. But, given the, necessarily, extraordinary focus on the first issue this year, access, it's nice that the paper has taken a moment to highlight just a few of the continuing causes of concern for the actual tabulation of votes. Nothing has gotten better since 2010 or 2008 or even 2004. We've covered all of the examples for reasons to be concerned that they point to in the editorial, of course, and many more, over the years here at The BRAD BLOG. And, naturally, since the paper is still a corporate media outlet, they just had to "balance" their fairly decent, fact-based editorial with an additional "opposing view" editorial, filled with a bunch of misleading, dishonest bullshit about Internet Voting, of all things, from a corporate lobbyist hack...
• Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Now up to 9,500+ Election Protection posts! Find out who's counting your votes and how at ElectionIntegrity.org too.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC Standard Podcast September 17, 2012 USF Prof. Sephen Zunes Comments on Libya, Mideast, Romney’s Bizarre Comments and more; Will Durst on Post-Convention Bounces
• PBC Standard Podcast September 20, 2012 Update on Challenge to NDAA Detention Law: Attorney Carl Mayer Details ObamaCo’s Legal Wrangling and Explains Judge’s Ruling No subscription needed–this podcast is free to all!
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This week on Ring of Fire September 21, 2012
• Author and professor Juan Cole will give us the latest developments on the turmoil in the Middle East
• Investigative journalist Josh Eidelson will tell us how the Chicago teacher’s strike has helped energize educators across the country.
• Truthout.org’s J.A. Myerson will tell us how the Occupy Movement is doing now that they are a year old.
• And author Chuck Thompson will discuss the backwards thinking that is keeping the south from making social and political progress.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473)or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Bankers Pose Massive Threat to American Democracy When Jefferson told us that the banking institutions would be “more dangerous than standing armies,” he had no way of foreseeing the TARP treachery that bankers have pulled off with $800 billion of taxpayers’ money. But in 2008, Obama saw the beginning of that treachery when he watched America’s most powerful bankers grovel like pathetic paupers begging for handouts. They had been piggish, incompetent, sociopathic failures, and they needed welfare tax money.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: One Trick Republican Ponies Gin Up The Hate When they get backed into a corner like they are now on policy, the Republican Party always turns to what they know best – Hate. In recent weeks, leaders within the Republican Party like Karl Rove, the Koch Brothers, and the entire on-air staff of Fox News have been ginning up hatred against Obama, against Democrats, against people on welfare, women, college students, immigrants – hate is everywhere in their minds. Mike Papantonio talks about the Republican hate machine with Alternet’s Washington correspondent, Adele Stan.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 8-11 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• September 17, 2012 Live Coverage of Occupy! & Jeff Faux on the Servant Economy
• September 18, 2012 The Problem With Education “Reform”
• September 19, 2012 David Dayen on the Past Weeks News
• September 20, 2012 Michael Grunwald “One Nation on Welfare”
• September 21, 2012 Cliff Schecter, Another Week of Romney Disaster
• MORE Podcast Interviews at Majority.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• NEW! MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV PLUS here is Max Keiser’s official Facebook page And here is the official Keiser Report page
• The official Facebook pages for Max Keiser & Keiser Report STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead. Max Keiser & Keiser Report PLUS Stacey Herbert
• The “Keiser Report” has been begging europe to do this for years by maxkeiser READ European Banks Preparing To Boycott Big Three Rating Agencies (zerohedge.com)
• CNBC’s Admission, yes: Silver market is manipulated (skip to 9:30) by maxkeiser READ CNBC Host States Silver Manipulation is a Fact, NOT a Conspiracy! sliverdoctors.com with VIDEO! Once Barclays pointed the finger at BoE as colluding on Libor manipulation (instead of denying it), the roof got ripped off decades of blatant manipulation in these markets. The dollar and U.S. bonds have been protected with Fed interference and outright manipulation; same thing in the UK. And to bolster the price for sovereign bonds, the price of Gold and Silver has been manipulated down alongside the upside price movements of worthless paper. Ratings at CNBC have been plummeting this year – as the audience is way ahead of their talking heads on these points. When CNBC admits that markets, especially silver, are rigged, the few remaining viewers they have collectively sigh; ‘I heard that on Keiser Report three years ago.’ READ CNBC: Silver and Financial Markets Are Manipulated, But So What? Jesse's Crossroads Cafe
• Catherine Austin Fitts Commentary on Financial Holocaust
• Cartel Dumped 2x Annual US Silver Production on Market in 15 Min to Smash Silver Under $35 After silver exploded through $35 on this today’s COMEX open, we wrote this morning that should silver hold $35 through today’s weekly close, the metal would quickly run to $37-$37.50 early next week as a massive short squeeze developed. The cartel understood the predicament they were in, and responded with a massive paper dump on the market to stuff price back below $35. Between 10:35 and 10:50am EST, an astonishing 62.5 million ounces of paper silver were indiscriminately dumped on the market to induce the sell-off- nearly twice US annual silver production of 36 million ounces!! Click here to see the cartel caught in action!! (silverdoctors.com)
• Claims bestselling brand of GM corn caused tumours and multiple organ damage Stacy Summary: The article points out that some scientists have a problem with the methodology of this particular study; but as we know over and over studies across the world point to similar problems. READ Fresh row over GM foods as French study claims rats fed the controversial crops suffered tumours (DailyMail.co.uk)
• KEISER REPORT [KR342] Keiser Report: Depression, Debt & Doublespeak We discuss that after five years of depressing depressed savers, the government and Central Bank reaps the rewards while Americans have given up hope and now concede to being ‘lower class.’ In the second half of the show, Max Keiser talks to Chris Cook about the price of chickens in Tehran and petrol in the United Kingdom and the role of ETFs in destroying markets.
• KEISER REPORT [KR343] Keiser Report: World Flash Clash Center We discuss flash crashes, reputation woes on the U.S. exchanges and sheep screaming at all the fraud. Max also talks to one of the Queen’s sheep for its opinion on quantitative easing. In the second half of the show, Max Keiser talks to Jim Rickards, author of Currency Wars, about QE to infinity, the dollar, the euro and a gold standard.
• KEISER REPORT [KR344] Keiser Report: Happy Hacking! (ft. Richard Stallman) We discuss tuning in, dropping out and the modern day opting out. They also talk about ‘high value’ customers being fast tracked at Heathrow in the name of expediency; while in the US poor people are fast tracked into a private debt collectors’ kickback scheme with the help of district attorneys. In the second half of the show, Max Keiser talks to Richard Stallman about Anonymous protests outside virtual doorways, corporate tyrannies and free software.
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Mike Ruppert
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM1249] The Truth About the Duchess’ Breasts Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Pepe Escobar June 30, 2012: Globetrotting journalist Pepe Escobar discusses his article “Syria and Turkey’s Phantom War;” Turkey’s violation of Syrian airspace in a purposeful, measured provocation and test of Syria’s defenses; the near-invocation of NATO Article 5 and a wider war (an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all); looking for ways to bypass the UN on Syria, since China and Russia won’t let an interventionist resolution pass the Security Council; grand plans for NATO expansion in the official “Assured Security, Dynamic Engagement” plan; counterrevolutions in the Middle East and South America, as the US looks to rebuild its portfolio of client states; and how Qatar has become the new superpower in the Middle East, surpassing even Saudi Arabia.
• SCOTT HORTON July 5, 2012: Scott says goodbye to Antiwar.com. Scott Horton is the former host of Antiwar Radio. Visit his blog Stress. Due to budget cuts Scott lost his gig at AntiWarRadio.com! Whoa! See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Robert Gibbs, a top adviser to the Obama campaign
• Governor Scott Walker (R-WI)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml