Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Dog Days of Summer! Sure signs of the Dog Days are the opening of NFL training camps and MLB heading into the final month of the season with all but a handful of teams officially eliminated from the post-season, many hovering around the .500 mark with an eye at their September schedule (even though they all proclaim it's "one game at a time" haha!) The Tribe is in the mix 6½ games out at 58-59 but will somehow have to catch fire soon with AL Central Division foes laden in their September schedule. NEOH never really had hugely hot-n-humid stretches this summer like normal (and the garden shows it). We'll be back later with more reports and STUFF so check back Sunday evening! In the meantime SIFT THROUGH the rest of our regulars for more domestic and international stories like Max-n-Stacy featuring this Guest Post by Michael Krieger Obama Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution by Bombing Iraq, Scott Horton and Former CIA officer Philip Giraldi, PBC and this Blockbuster Exclusive: Investigative Reporter Beau Hodai Reveals Much About “Stingray” Surveillance, Sam with Rick Perlstein & "The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan" and in election rules news 1 BILLION Votes, Just 31 POSSIBLE Cases of Fraud at BradBlog! ........ But now [WaPo's Justin] Levitt --- a constitutional and democracy law professor at Loyola University Law School, who also works on related issues with NYU's offers an updateBrennan Center for Justice and frequently testifies as an expert in various law suits and hearings regarding voting rights --- offers an update to those numbers. The results are remarkable, though unsurprising to those who have followed the creation of this Republican stalking horse for the past decade.............
While yer there get your "Green News Report" for many more environment stories! WE'LL BE BACK with lots more news from the week we're still working on so stay tuned! Throw Bricks! And enjoy your Dog Day Sunday!
WE'RE BACK! BETTER LATE THAN NEVER! Sorry about the long delay for the UPDATE so dig in! Here goes!
Human Rights Watch has released this new report US: Surveillance Harming Journalism, Law, Democracy - Government Spying Undermines Media Freedom and Right to Counsel (Washington, DC) – Large-scale US surveillance is seriously hampering US-based journalists and lawyers in their work, Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union said in a joint report released today. Surveillance is undermining media freedom and the right to counsel, and ultimately obstructing the American people’s ability to hold their government to account, the groups said. The 120-page report, “With Liberty to Monitor All: How Large-Scale US Surveillance is Harming Journalism, Law, and American Democracy,” is based on extensive interviews with dozens of journalists, lawyers, and senior US government officials. It documents how national security journalists and lawyers are adopting elaborate steps or otherwise modifying their practices to keep communications, sources, and other confidential information secure in light of revelations of unprecedented US government surveillance of electronic communications and transactions. The report finds that government surveillance and secrecy are undermining press freedom, the public’s right to information, and the right to counsel, all human rights essential to a healthy democracy. “The work of journalists and lawyers is central to our democracy,” said report author Alex Sinha, Aryeh Neier Fellow at Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union. “When their work suffers, so do we."............... Many journalists described adopting elaborate techniques in an environment of tremendous uncertainty in an effort to protect evidence of their interaction with sources. The techniques ranged from using encryption and air-gapped computers (which stay completely isolated from unsecured networks, including the Internet), to communicating with sources through disposable “burner” phones, to abandoning electronic communications altogether. Those cumbersome new techniques are slowing down reporters in their pursuit of increasingly skittish sources, resulting in less information reaching the public. This situation has a direct effect on the public’s ability to obtain important information about government activities, and on the ability of the media to serve as a check on government, Human Rights Watch and the ACLU found. .................... For lawyers, large-scale surveillance has created concerns about their ability to meet their professional responsibilities to maintain confidentiality of information related to their clients. Failure to meet those responsibilities can result in discipline through professional organizations, or even lawsuits. ............. As with the journalists, lawyers increasingly feel pressure to adopt strategies to avoid leaving a digital trail that could be monitored. Some use burner phones, others seek out technologies designed to provide security, and still others reported traveling more for in-person meetings. Like journalists, some feel frustrated, and even offended, that they are in this situation. “I’ll be damned if I have to start acting like a drug dealer in order to protect my client’s confidentiality,” said one. The result of the anxieties over confidentiality is the erosion of the right to counsel, a pillar of procedural justice under human rights law and the US Constitution, Human Rights Watch and the ACLU found. ........... Much more! Good item!
THEN David Sirota posts this Study: Government Blocks Specific Journalists From Accessing Information at OpEdNews.com As states move to hide details of government deals with Wall Street and as politicians come up with new arguments to defend secrecy, it was revealed this week that many government information officers block specific journalists they don't like from accessing information. The news comes as 47 federal inspectors general sent a letter to lawmakers criticizing "serious limitations on access to records" that they say have "impeded" their oversight work. The data about public information officers was compiled over the past few years by Kennesaw State University professor Carolyn Carlson. Her surveys found that 4 in 10 public information officers say "there are specific reporters they will not allow their staff to talk to due to problems with their stories in the past." "That horrified us that so many would do that," Carlson told the Columbia Journalism Review, which reported on her presentation at this week's conference of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication.
Carlson has conducted surveys of journalists and public information officers since 2012. In her most recent survey of 445 working journalists, four out of five reported that "their interviews must be approved" by government information officers, and "more than half of the reporters said they had actually been prohibited from interviewing [government] employees at least some of the time by public information officers." In recent years, there have been signs that the federal government is reducing the flow of public information. Reason Magazine has reported a 114 percent increase in Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) rejections by the Drug Enforcement Agency since President Obama took office. The National Security Agency has also issued blanket rejections of FOIA requests about its metadata program. And the Associated Press reported earlier this year that in 2013 "the government cited national security to withhold information a record 8,496 times -- a 57 percent increase over a year earlier and more than double Obama's first year." Those revelations foreshadowed this week's letter from more than half of the federal government's inspectors general saying that government agencies' move to hide information from them represents a "potentially serious challenge to the authority of every Inspector General and our ability to conduct our work thoroughly, independently, and in a timely manner." .............. Carlson's data from 2014 shows that three-quarters of journalists surveyed now agree with the statement that "the public is not getting the information it needs because of barriers agencies are imposing on journalists' reporting practices." Yet, despite that lament, the government's efforts to keep information secret may be having its intended effect on the psychology of journalists.......
Yves Smith at NakedCapitalism.com explains Access Journalism, Agnotology, and Breeding for Elite Incompetence refers to Sirota's article and adds There’s nothing quite like watching systems deliberately made worse, all in the name of better propaganda. One rapidly escalating trend among officials and government agencies is making more and more information, including decades-old material, either impossible to obtain or accessible only to journalists who are “trusted,” meaning they are deferential to authority and will put the best possible spin on what they are fed. This is deeply disturbing in a society that tries to maintain the veneer of being a democracy, since it keeps important information from the public and is clearly intended to preserve the image of particular organizations and shield them from what is likely to be well-deserved criticism. Anti-transparency policies are tantamount to anti-accountability. But at least as bad is the destructive effects on the sponsors of this dissimulation by omission. Yes, they may do better in the short term, but over time, they fall prey to the pathology of believing their own PR. They become convinced that their airbrushed photos and the adoring crowds that are carefully screened for their public appearances accurately reflect their performance and popularity. In more extreme versions, you wind up with Versailles behavior, for instance, when wealthy financiers lash out when anyone dares criticize them, because they’ve come to believe deeply in their own myth-making, that their success is the result of merit, as opposed to luck and conniving. ..................... In a disheartening bit of synchronicity, Lambert flagged a new article from the American Historical Association, Black Holes in the Predecisional Universe: Agencies Gain a New Justification for Secrecy, which describes how the CIA has scored a major legal win that allows it to withhold information, even decades-old information that Presidential libraries want to make public:
- .............The claim that the entire universe of “predecisional” documents–including any claimed “draft”–should be withheld from the public is in line with the agency’s information withholding strategy. The agency has found that it is much easier to withhold entire universes of documents than argue the merits of classification to protect US national security on a case-by-case, document-by-document basis.
The CIA got its first taste of “universal withholding” when Congress passed the 1984 CIA Operational Files Exemption. Unlike other Freedom of Information Act exemptions, which can be applied after agencies search and locate requested documents, the Operational Files Exemption creates a universe of documents that the CIA does not even have to search for. This means that if a historian requests records for, say, Operation Phoenix, the CIA-led assassination program conducted during the Vietnam War, the CIA will reply–less than completely forthcomingly–that its search has returned no results. Admiral William McRaven, the Joint Special Operations Commander who oversaw the Osama bin Laden raid, knew about this transparency black hole: he ordered the FOIA-complying Department of Defense to purge its computers of all files on the Navy SEALs raid on bin Laden and send them to the CIA, where the Operational Files Exemption would keep them “safe” from search and review for release. Troublingly, the CIA’s withholding of its Bay of Pigs history is an attempt to keep another universe of documents from disclosure: those it claims are “predecisional.” The CIA is seeking this expansion because key figures within the US government have begun reviewing the CIA’s classification decisions and overruling the agency’s claims for the need of secrecy. The Interagency Security Classification Appeals Panel (ISCAP), housed at the US National Archives, overrules government classification claims in more than 70 percent of the documents it reviews (including those of the CIA).
To avoid being overruled by ISCAP, the CIA has employed two tactics. First, it uses the Operational Files Exemption so that requesters cannot officially identify classified documents for ISCAP to review and overturn. Second, it has begun to stop withholding some documents because they are classified (which ISCAP could overturn) and instead withholds them because they are “predecisional” (which ISCAP has no authority to overturn). The CIA’s shell game is an affront to those who strive to compile an accurate history of US intelligence, foreign policy, and national security history.
The CIA also strives to obstruct the declassification efforts of holders of releasable universes of documents, including the presidential libraries. At the presidential libraries, the CIA has installed a Remote Archives Capture (RAC) system where it claims authority to digitize all documents at the libraries and first crack at keeping them secret–often using the Operational Files or “predecisional” exemptions–before letting the library, and other agencies, review the documents for release. The RAC system was installed, at least partially, in reaction to the presidential libraries acting with too much autonomy in their declassification decisions and in releasing to the public documents the CIA wished to keep secret.
We thank all the journalists, foreign and domestic, who go out there every day and muck-rake on our behalf and push back on the powerful, exposing their ill-gotten gains and illegal activities. CASE IN POINT GREG PALAST and ARGENTINA. We told you about this last week in his exposé on Paul Singer The Vulture: Chewing Argentina’s Living Corpse. NOW Argentina files lawsuit against US over debt dispute at PressTV.com Argentina has attempted to sue the United States at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, the UN’s highest court, over a debt dispute. The lawsuit was filed on Thursday after a US judge blocked Argentina from servicing its restructured debt, with Buenos Aires accusing Washington of violating Argentinean sovereignty. New York District Judge Thomas Griesa has ruled to freeze Argentina’s June debt payment of $539 million in a US bank because two American hedge funds are demanding a full repayment of their money. The two hedge funds, NML Capital and Aurelius Capital Management, have been described by Argentina as "vulture funds" that are seeking profit out of the country’s financial misery. “Given that a state is responsible for the conduct of all the branches of its government, these violations have generated a controversy between the Republic of Argentina and the United States, which our country submits to the ICJ for resolution,” President Cristina Kirchner’s office said in a statement. However, the ICJ declined to take any action, claiming that it is powerless to act “unless and until the United States of America consents to the court’s jurisdiction.” Argentina’s 2001 economic collapse caused the country to default on more than $100 billion in debt. Argentina is still fighting to deal with the crisis. Last week, Argentinean Economy Minister Axel Kicillof went to New York to try to resolve the impasse on the eve of his country’s default. There, he slammed the US judge for his ruling. “A judge in one jurisdiction can’t be allowed to block the debt payments of an entire country,” he said. “There’s something called sovereignty.”
THE EDITORIAL BOARD at the New York Times now calls out The C.I.A.’s Reckless Breach of Trust .................. In March, John Brennan, the C.I.A. director, was indignant when Senator Dianne Feinstein charged that the agency had broken into computers used by staff investigators from the Senate Intelligence Committee, which she leads. “As far as the allegations of C.I.A. hacking into Senate computers,” he said, “nothing could be further from the truth. I mean, we wouldn’t do that. I mean, that’s just beyond the scope of reason.” But reason seems to have little to do with the C.I.A.’s operations, as Mr. Brennan apparently discovered far too late. On Thursday, the Central Intelligence Agency admitted that it did, indeed, use a fake online identity to break into the Senate’s computers, where documents connected to a secret report on the agency’s detention and torture program were being stored. Mr. Brennan apologized privately to Ms. Feinstein and to Senator Saxby Chambliss, the vice chairman of the intelligence committee, and promised to set up an accountability board to determine who did the hacking and whether and how they should be punished. The accountability and the apologies, however, will have to go much further. It’s not just two senators that the C.I.A. has offended by this shocking action. It is all of Congress and, by extension, the American public, which is paying for an intelligence agency that does not seem to understand the most fundamental concept of separation of powers. That concept means that Congress is supposed to oversee the intelligence community and rein in its excesses. It cannot possibly do so effectively if it is being spied on by the spy agency, which is supposed to be directing its efforts against foreign terrorists and other threats to national security. ................. Late last year, the agency suspected that Senate investigators had obtained an internal C.I.A. review of the torture program. Senate officials said the review was in a database they were allowed to see, but realized that the C.I.A. had broken into a private Senate computer server and found the review. A summary of an agency inspector general’s report, released Thursday, said C.I.A. hackers even read the emails of Senate staffers. Then they exhibited a “lack of candor” to agency investigators. In an extraordinary speech on the Senate floor in March, Ms. Feinstein accused the agency of having “undermined the constitutional framework essential to effective congressional oversight of intelligence activities or any other government function.” The institutional affront even drew Republican criticism. If the charge was true, said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, “heads should roll, and people should go to jail.” One of those heads may need to be Mr. Brennan’s. If he knew about the break-in, then he blatantly lied. If he did not, then apparently he was unaware of the lawless culture that has festered within the C.I.A. since the moment it was encouraged by George W. Bush and Dick Cheney to torture suspects and then lie about it. That recklessness extended to the point where agency officials thought nothing of burglarizing their own overseer. Senator Mark Udall of Colorado said the action was illegal and required the resignation of Mr. Brennan. The C.I.A. needs far more than a few quiet personnel changes, however. Its very core, and basic culture, needs a thorough overhaul. Good luck with that, NYT! For background Juan Cole's Informed Comment reposts TomDispatch's Karen J. Greenberg with this summary from last April The Impunity of American Torture: From Abu Ghraib to Sen. Feinstein’s Brawl with the CIA and see Tom's intro at Tomgram: Karen Greenberg, Abu Ghraib Never Left Us "No one has followed this endlessly grim tale more assiduously than TomDispatch regular Karen Greenberg, the chronicler of the creation of the prison at Guantanamo Bay and the editor of The Torture Papers: The Road to Abu Ghraib. Today, she explores the shameful tale of why, a decade later, the Abu Ghraib affair remains without an end." with plenty of links too! And of course there's FIRE JOHN YOO! (a project of THE WORLD CAN'T WAIT!) with this missive Partners in Torture: Where Are They Now? And in a Truth-Out Op-Ed Sharon Adams urges With Obama Torture Admission, John Yoo Should Be Investigated ............ Obama's admission that the United States engaged in torture is an "admission" and would be admissible as credible evidence in a court of law. Obama is the head of the executive branch, and the OLC, where John Yoo worked, is also part of the executive branch. Thus, Obama's admission reflects back to the Office of Legal Counsel and directly to John Yoo, as the principal author of the Torture Memos. Yet, Yoo continues to teach law at UC Berkeley School of Law. Christopher Edley, while dean of Berkeley Law School, stated that investigation of Yoo would be appropriate if there was "clear professional misconduct." Meaning, was there "some breach of the professional ethics applicable to a government attorney - material to Professor Yoo's academic position? Did the writing of the memoranda and his related conduct violate a criminal or comparable statute?" Based on Obama's admission that the United States engaged in torture, there is credible evidence that Yoo's memoranda, in addition to being just plain bad, and legally inadequate, violated the law. Sujit Choudry, the new dean of Berkeley Law, understands that torture is morally, ethically and legally wrong. While working for the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association, Choudry represented a Guantanamo detainee against the Canadian government, in a case based on human rights abuses that occurred at Guantanamo. Obama's admission is yet one more reason Berkeley Law should open an investigation into John Yoo. On the outside of UC Berkeley Law School there is a quote from Justice Cardozo, stating students "will study the wisdom of the past [and] the precepts of justice." It's time for UC Berkeley Law to either investigate John Yoo, or remove Cardozo's words, and replace them with "Silence is Complicity."
On Thursday's "The Big Picture" Full Show 8/7/14: Siberian Crater Mystery Solved Thom discusses everything science in tonight’s special edition science show: Earth’s population problem with Population Action International’s Suzanne Ehlers, the mystery of the Siberian crater with Climatologist Dr. Michael Mann, how nature can solve our planet’s problems with Biomimicry’s Janine Benyus and how ocean acidification may cripple Alaska’s economy with Dr. Sebastian Troëng of Conservation International and Dr. Brenda Ekwurzel with the Union of Concerned Scientists.
Watch the show and follow up with these:
- Suzanne Ehlers Population Action International
- Bob Yirka at Phys.org Mysterious Siberian crater attributed to methane
- Michael Mann at HuffPoAOL Fire and Ice: What I Did on My Summer Vacation I did my best to get away from work last week while my family and I were on vacation visiting friends who live in Kalispell, the gateway to Montana's Glacier National Park. But it wasn't quite possible. You see, I'm a climate scientist. And the spectre of climate change stares you in the face as you tour the park. The once great mountain glaciers that gave the park its name have retreated dramatically in recent decades. Of the roughly 150 glaciers that existed in the park when it was established in 1910, only 25 remain today............ Climate model projections indicate that Glacier National Park might lose all of its glaciers by 2030 as human-caused global warming proceeds. Perhaps it will be renamed "The Park formerly known as Glacier". ......
- Janine Benyus Biomimicry 3.8
- Dr. Brenda Ekwurzel's Blog at The Union of Concerned Scientists The Equation: a blog on independent science + practical solutions
- When Colbert asked Brown who is funding her new Partnership for Educational Justice, she said she wouldn't reveal her donors. Why? Because, she said, she thought it was important to give anonymity to donors so that they wouldn't become "a target" of people who were protesting her appearance outside the studios before the show. "They are going to go after people who are funding us," she said.
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Mohammed Omer, award-winning Palestinian journalist reporting in Gaza City "Everything That Moves in Rafah is a Target": Israel Continues Shelling of Gaza During Short "Pause"
- Christopher Gunness, spokesperson for the the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) "Disgraceful," "Criminal Act": Israel Condemned as 10 Die in Another Strike on U.N. Shelter in Gaza
- Nathan Thrall, senior analyst at the International Crisis Group Likely Solution for a Lasting Ceasefire was on the Table Before Israeli Assault & Over 1,800 Dead
- Dr. Mona El-Farra, health chair of the Palestinian Red Crescent Society of the Gaza Strip As Gaza Death Toll Tops 1,800, Dr. Mona El-Farra Mourns Loss of 9 Relatives in Israeli Strike
- Norman Finkelstein, author and scholar Gaza Ceasefire: After 1,800+ Dead, What Led Israel to Stop the Assault — and What Comes Next?
- Theodore Postol, professor of science, technology and national security policy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Iron Dome Boondoggle: Has Obama Just Signed a $225M Check for a Defective Israeli Missile Shield?
- Two mothers whose sons were killed by the New York City Police Department: Iris Baez & Kadiatou Diallo New York Police Killing of Eric Garner Spurs Debate on Chokeholds & Filming Officer Misconduct
- Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch As Palestinians Go to ICC, Human Rights Watch Alleges Israeli War Crimes for Shooting Fleeing Gazans on Human Rights Watch's new report, "Gaza: Israeli Soldiers Shoot and Kill Fleeing Civilians."
- John Dugard, former U.N. special rapporteur on human rights in Palestine Can Israel Claim Self-Defense Against the Territory It Occupies? Int’l Jurist John Dugard Says No
- Matthieu Aikins, award-winning investigative journalist based in Kabul, Afghanistan Killing of U.S. General by Afghan Soldier Underscores Obama’s "Deep Problems" in Winding Down War See Aikins' article for Al Jazeera America called "A U.S.-Backed Militia Runs Amok in Afghanistan." Click here to watch Part 2 of this interview.
- Koji Hosokawa, survivor of the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima by the United States on Aug. 6, 1945 "War Makes Everyone Crazy": Hiroshima Survivor Reflects on 69th Anniversary of U.S. Atomic Bombing
- Christopher Gunness, spokesperson for the the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) Despite Ceasefire, Humanitarian Crisis Continues in Gaza with 500,000 Displaced & 10,000 Injured
- Noam Chomsky, world-renowned political dissident, linguist and author "A Hideous Atrocity": Noam Chomsky on Israel’s Assault on Gaza & U.S. Support for the Occupation See Part Two on-line EXCLUSIVE "Noam Chomsky: Israel’s Actions in Palestine are "Much Worse Than Apartheid" in South Africa
- Phyllis Bennis, fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies As U.S. Airstrikes in Iraq Begin, Will Military Intervention Escalate Growing Crisis?
- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist Uri Avnery on Gaza Crisis, His Time in a Zionist "Terrorist" Group & Becoming a Peace Activist
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW The Yes Men: Culture Jamming and Circle Dancing The Yes Men talk about their fictitious Department of Energy initiative, American Renewable Clean-Energy Network, presented at this year's Homeland Security Congress....... more!
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN Sprint Cup Series at Watkins Glen International Raceway! Coverage begins at 1 pm et »»» MLB on TBS Dodgers @ Brewers 2:10 pm et »»» SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Nationals @ Braves 8 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Dodgers @ Braves 7 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Stop the FCC from Breaking the Internet The Federal Communications Commission is proposing rules that would kill — rather than protect — Net Neutrality and allow rampant discrimination online. Under these rules, telecom giants like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon would be able to pick winners and losers online and discriminate against online content and applications. And no one would be able to do anything about it. We must stop the FCC from moving forward with these rules, which would give the green light to ISPs eager to crush Net Neutrality. The agency can preserve Net Neutrality only by designating broadband as a telecommunications service under the law. Anything else is an attack on our rights to connect and communicate. Tell FCC Chairman Wheeler to throw out his proposed rules. Demand nothing less than real Net Neutrality. SIGN NOW at Stop the FCC from Breaking the Internet at freepress.net NOW. Join the Day of Action on May 15! The Internet will rise up online and take to the streets. SIGN UP HERE to learn more!
Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice. These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation! NEW!!! NATION ACTION! Stop the Comcast/Time Warner Cable Merger! GO THERE NOW!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! UPDATE! Legalize Democracy Film Premieres on Free Speech TV Jan 21 Move to Amend is thrilled to announce that the premiere of our mini documentary, Legalize Democracy, will be airing on Free Speech TV (FSTV) next week to coincide with the "anniversary" of Citizens United. Legalize Democracy is a 28 minute film by Dennis Trainor, Jr. about the movement to amend -- why it is needed, and how you can get involved. Watch live on our website here. Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the "Chelsea Manning Support Network" March 19, 2014. By CMSN. PVT Manning has filed to change her name legally to "Chelsea Elizabeth Manning" and to receive hormone therapy. To show our support in this struggle, we are renaming ourselves to the "Chelsea Manning Support Network." ..... UPDATE! An Appeal from Daniel Ellsberg I have been waiting forty years for a legal process to at long last prove the unconstitutionality of the Espionage Act as applied to whistle-blowers (the Supreme Court has never yet addressed this issue). This appeals process can accomplish that, and it can reduce Chelsea’s sentence by decades. But unfortunately, without your help today it will not happen....... AND PRIDE for Manning in Vancouver August 6, 2014. Chelsea Manning supporters march in Vancouver's Pride Parade and Trans March........
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
Meet ABC News' Newest Contributor, Laura Ingraham 10 Moments That Illustrate The Right-Wing Radio Host's Fringe Viewpoints And Disdain For Civil Discourse - Ingraham has repeatedly engaged in inflammatory and hateful rhetoric, lobbing numerous attacks against everyone from President Obama to people who receive government assistance to her favorite target, immigrants. Here are 10 hateful moments from Ingraham in the past year...
• retired Army Gen. Carter Ham, former commander of U.S. and coalition forces in Mosul
• SIM medical missionary Dr. Frank Glover, Jr.
• Amb. Robin Sanders, former ambassador to Republic of the Congo and Nigeria
• ROUNDTABLE: Matthew Dowd and Cokie Roberts, ESPN’s LZ Granderson, and journalist and author Sharyl Attkisson
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I.
• former Amb. James Jeffrey
• Dr. Keiji Fukuda, World Health Organization's assistant director-general for health security
• 40th anniversary of President Richard Nixon's resignation: we'll sit down with Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Fox 'News'-ification of CBS News and '60 Minutes': 'The Cleantech Crash'
• CBS' '60 Minutes' admits to faking Tesla car noise
• Coming Up Sunday, Aug. 10 at 7 p.m. ET/PT
• The Case of Alex Rodriguez - Details in the doping case of A-Rod, including an interview with the MLB's chief witness against him, the recently indicted Anthony Bosch
• GoPro's video revolution - Anderson Cooper reports on GoPro, one of the world's best-selling cameras that's revolutionizing video production
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture 07/15/12 — NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Coverage of the crisis in Iraq - guests TBA
• ROUNDTABLE: tba
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) Sunday at 9 am ET and Noon ET.
• Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
• General Jim Jones, President Obama’s first National Security Adviser
• Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. Ambassador to Iraq under President George W. Bush
• Tribute to former White House Press Secretary James Brady who died Monday at the age of 73 with Joe Lockhart, Ann Compton and Al Hunt
• ROUNDTABLE: Ken Cuccinelli, Ted Strickland, Stephanie Cutter, and Kevin Madden
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• FRONT PORCH FRIDAY!! Featuring the Malloy/H.O.R.N. Skype Group! Listen here NOW! Friday, August 8th, 2014 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - August 5, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Drinking water ban in Ohio's 4th largest city is over --- for now; Mine waste breach means British Columbia's water crisis is just beginning; California state of emergency over wildfires; Bee-killing pesticide now found in U.S. rivers; PLUS: Trees save lives ... All that and more in today's Green News Report! IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links at site): CO compromise removes anti-fracking measures from ballot; First 100°F Temperature on Record in the Baltics; Acidifying oceans killing oyster industry in the Pacific Northwest; The science behind the rise of deadly flesh-eating bacteria in the U.S.; Beijing to ban coal; 'Otherworldly' deluge causes deadly landslide in India; First-ever precip recorded in SoCal in August; Religious leaders call pollution 'an affront to God' ... PLUS: Texas V. EPA: Who in Texas wants tighter refinery regulation? ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADCAST! The Good Fight Continues: KPFK 'BradCast' Brad speaks with John Wellington Ennis, documentarian and activist, on his newest film and his decade-long fight for election integrity...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! VIDEO! CA Record Drought Goes From Really Bad to 'Extreme' A majority of the nation's most populous state is now facing 'extreme' drought, as the worst drought on historic record gets even worse in just one week's time...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! How Reagan Killed 'Fairness' and Wounded the World 'The Gipper' may have taken on the NRA to support a gun safety law, but one infamous Executive Order of his also assured inaction for generations on guns, climate and more...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! 1 BILLION Votes, Just 31 POSSIBLE Cases of Fraud Law professor and voting rights expert reveals startling new numbers underscoring the massive, years long GOP polling place Photo ID restriction scam...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment 4 August 2014 PBC News & Comment: Obama’s Inept, Insulting Rationalizations: “We Tortured Some Folks” At Friday news conference, Obama admitted US “tortured some folks” as he praised the “patriot” folks who tortured those folks….
• PBC News & Comment 6 August 2014 PBC News & Comment: Revelations About Stingray Surveillance, Watch Lists and Our Creeping Police State Investigative journalist Beau Hodai shares his research on “Stingray” cellphone surveillance, and the death of Doors’ Jim Morrison finally explained….
• PBC News & Comment 8 Aug 2014 PBC News & Comment: Obama Uses Air Power to Help Yazidis and Hit Sunni Fighters President Obama orders airlift of relief to trapped Yazidis, fighter jets strike Islamic State militants in northern Iraq today….
• PBC Standard Podcast August 6, 2014 Blockbuster Exclusive: Investigative Reporter Beau Hodai Reveals Much About “Stingray” Surveillance Investigative journalist Beau Hodai returns to share his detailed report on “Stingray” cell site simulators that scoop up call data on thousands of innocent Americans, and are used in ways that appear to violate the Constitution and deceive judges, prosecutors and defendants.
• PBC Standard Podcast August 8, 2014 Middle East Expert Mohammed Ayoob Talks About Iraq, Gaza, and the Impacts of the Arab Spring Michigan State’s Prof. Mohammed Ayoob comments on Obama’s military action in Iraq, the renewed fighting in Gaza, and his new book, "Will the Middle East Implode?"
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! August 8, 2014 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
• Progressive talk show host David Pakman will help us run through the biggest stories of the last week that the corporate media missed.
• Becky Bond from Credo Mobile will tell us about Credo’s campaign activities ahead of the 2014 midterm elections.
• Senate candidate Shenna Bellows will discuss her campaign against Republican Senator Susan Collins.
• And author John Nichols will talk about the jobs plan that he is working on with Congressman Keith Ellison.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Sundays at NOON!
»» Guests and topics TDA
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on August 9, 2014 by Ring of Fire - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at email@example.com if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.” Also see Papantonio & Kennedy on Corporate Corruption and Fraud — Pt. 1/4
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on August 8, 2014 by Ring of Fire
• Charles Koch Reminds Us That He Hates the Poor Posted on August 8, 2014 by Joshua Schwitzerlett
• The One Percent Are Ridiculously Rich, More Than We Thought Posted on August 8, 2014 by Joshua De Leon - The wealthiest one percent is, literally, unmeasurably rich, according to research conducted by the European Central Bank and the London School of Economics, Bloomberg reported.........
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Financial Collapse Right Around The Corner? (VIDEO) This segment originally aired on the July 20th, 2014 episode of Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV.
• VIDEO! Big Banks Crippling America with Debt (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Sam Seder and author Cliff Schecter discuss a new study revealing that over 35% of Americans have unpaid bills that have been reported to collection agencies.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• NOTE: Next week will be "best of" shows except Monday with Mike-n-Mike.
• MONDAY 8/4/14 Daniel Levy: What is Israel's Gaza Endgame?
• TUESDAY 8/5/14 Rafia Zakaria: Women Watching Women: The Oppression of Women War Zones
• WEDNESDAY 8/6/14 Greg Mitchell: The Hiroshima & Nagasaki Coverup
• THURSDAY 8/7/14 Rick Perlstein: The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan
• FRIDAY 8/8/14 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Marc Maron
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• Russia And Iran Sign Historic 500,000 Barrel A Day Oil Deal – Petrodollar Under Threat by Mark O'Byrne — The White House has previously said that talks between Russia and Iran were a matter of “serious concern”. Currency wars are set to escalate as the petro dollar’s decline continues. U.S. and European Union sanctions against Russia threaten to hasten a move away from the petro dollar that’s been slowly occurring since the global financial crisis. Read more here. .........
• Bloomberg: Russia Sanctions Accelerate Risk to Dollar Dominance by Stacy Herbert — Stacy Summary: via Youri Carma, comes this headline from Bloomberg news. READ Russia Sanctions Accelerate Risk to Dollar Dominance ...... While no one’s suggesting the dollar will lose its status as the main currency of business any time soon, its dominance is ebbing. The greenback’s share of global reserves has already shrunk to under 61 percent from more than 72 percent in 2001. The drumbeat has only gotten louder since the financial crisis in 2008, an event that began in the U.S. when subprime-mortgage loans soured, and the largest emerging-market nations including Russia have vowed to conduct more business in their currencies. “The crisis created a rethink of the dollar-denominated world that we live in,” said Joseph Quinlan, chief market strategist at Bank of America Corp.’s U.S. Trust, which oversees about $380 billion. “This nasty turn between Russia and the West related to sanctions, that can be an accelerator toward a more multicurrency world.” It seems everything started going wrong for the American empire from 2001. I think future historians will mark that as the beginning of the rapid part of the end.
• Out Vultures: Argentina Sues USA for Breach of Sovereignty by Stacy Herbert — Stacy Summary: LOL, Caesar makes the rules and applies them arbitrarily; Caesar himself, however, is never subject to his capricious rule. READ Argentina files legal action against the US at The Hague over debt default (theguardian.com) .... Argentina has asked the international court of justice (ICJ) in The Hague to take action against the United States over an alleged breach of its sovereignty as it defaulted on its debt. Argentina defaulted last week after losing a long legal battle with hedge funds that rejected the terms of debt restructurings in 2005 and 2010. A statement issued by the ICJ, the United Nation’s highest court for disputes between nations, said Argentina’s request had been sent to the US government. It added that no action will be taken in the proceedings “unless and until” Washington accepts the court’s jurisdiction......
• Obama Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution by Bombing Iraq by Michael Krieger — Fifty years ago yesterday, on August 7, 1964, Congress passed the now infamous Gulf of Tonkin resolution, which led to a massive escalation of America’s involvement in the Vietnam War. Without a formal declaration of war, the resolution permitted President Johnson to take “all necessary measures” to support South Vietnam, including armed forces. This resulted in 58,000 dead Americans and well over a million dead Vietnamese, both civilians and military personnel. Read more HERE......
• KEISER REPORT [KR636] Keiser Report – Energy Hoax? FRACKING! We discuss how the UK stopped worrying and learned to love the FRACK! For there can be no mine-shaft gap, nor fracking well gap. In the second half, Max interviews precious metals expert, Alasdair Macleod, about the Argentine default, China’s gold and London’s gold fix.
• KEISER REPORT [KR637] Keiser Report: Great Cake Collapse We discuss the headlines which prove that a great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges. In the second half, Max interviews Peter Greenhill, Head of e-Gaming Development for the Isle of Man, about e-gaming and cryptocurrencies on the island. They also discuss why the Queen has no crown on the currency notes of the Isle of Man.
• KEISER REPORT [KR638] Keiser Report: BananaRepublicazation We discuss the free trade rackets like CAFTA, which was pitched to the public in 2005 as a way to halt mass migration from Central America into the USA. The argument went that the ‘free trade’ deal would cause both economies to boom and so there would be no reason for immigrants to come to the USA. Instead, subsidized agricultural products have devastated the livelihoods of millions in Central America, exacerbating the consequences of the devastating drug war. In the second half, Max interviews Simon Rose, Campaign Manager for GetBritainOut.org, a cross-party group fighting to get Britain out of Europe.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS The Truth About Markets – 28 June 2014 Stacy Summary: We talk about bogus collateral driving global housing bubbles. Download show HERE (mp3) • THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS The Truth About Cold Wars & Bad Facelifts Download show HERE (mp3) • Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday New show hours effective 5/26/2014 @ 12-3 PM Eastern! HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up (8:30 am pt - http://kpfk.org), and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream....... New show hours effective 5/26/2014: 12-3 PM Eastern!
• Scott Horton Radio Show 08/05/14 Philip Giraldi: Former CIA officer Philip Giraldi discusses President Obama’s admission that “we tortured some folks;” why Americans should be ashamed about the war on Gaza (and Syria); and how the Council for the National Interest fights back against the Israel lobby’s undue influence on Congress.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 08/06/14 Greg Mitchell: Greg Mitchell, author of Atomic Cover-up, discusses the US’s unnecessary atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 08/06/14 Jeff Kaye: Jeff Kaye, a psychologist and writer at Firedoglake, discusses his article “Obama Admits He Banned Only ‘Some’ of the CIA’s Torture Techniques;” why the Senate Intelligence Committee won’t release its 6000-page CIA torture report; and why President Obama would be impeached by now if he was a Republican.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 08/06/14 Dean Ahmad: Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad, President of the Minaret of Freedom Institute, discusses the important background information needed to properly understand the Israel-Palestine conflict, and why Jews have a right of return to Israel but Palestinians don’t.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 08/08/14 Stephen Walt: Stephen M. Walt, professor of international relations at Harvard University, discusses his article “Do No (More) Harm” about why the US should stop intervening in the Middle East.
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Sen Lindsey Graham (R-SC) of the Senate Armed Services Committee
• Sen Ben Cardin (D-MD), a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee
• Sen Chris Coons (D-DE), who sits on the Senate Budget Committee
• former Michigan Governor John Engler, president of the Business Roundtable
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml