Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below!
DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks!
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Fighting the Flat-earth Freemarket Fundies 2008 Economics Nobel Laureate PAUL KRUGMAN sets this Sunday's tone with The Unwisdom of Elites (nyt - h/t jen) The past three years have been a disaster for most Western economies. The United States has mass long-term unemployment for the first time since the 1930s. Meanwhile, Europe’s single currency is coming apart at the seams. How did it all go so wrong? Well, what I’ve been hearing with growing frequency from members of the policy elite — self-appointed wise men, officials, and pundits in good standing — is the claim that it’s mostly the public’s fault. The idea is that we got into this mess because voters wanted something for nothing, and weak-minded politicians catered to the electorate’s foolishness. So this seems like a good time to point out that this blame-the-public view isn’t just self-serving, it’s dead wrong. The fact is that what we’re experiencing right now is a top-down disaster. Fellow Nobel Laureate Joseph Stiglitz (Class of 2001) has Krugman's back during NPR Morning Edition Monday: It sounds a little bit similar, and it you know, all economists talk about demand and supply, but then you have to look at more detail, at the underlying hypothesis. So what they (THEY being the Flat-earther Friedmanite Fundamentalists (FFF) ... -Ed.) say is that if we only lowered tax rates a little bit more, tax the billionaires a little bit less, they would work more. But the tax rates were lowered by President Bush. Did savings increase? No. The national savings rate went down, plummeted close to zero - some quarters it was actually negative. The evidence is very clear, that those with supply side effects on savings just aren't there. ...INSKEEP: "So would you argue for running up even higher deficits than the ones we have now?" Yes, I would. I mean I let's be frank about it. We are going to be running up deficits no matter what we do. But if we go into mindless austerity - cut backs - our deficits are not going to go down as fast as those people who argue for it claim. Because what's going to happen is, the economy is going to get weaker, tax revenues will go down, more people will be unemployed, expenditure for unemployment insurance will go up, expenditure for welfare payments will go up, and the savings and [in] the deficit will be much smaller than they anticipated. We're already seeing, you know, you might say examples, case studies, of this. The U.K. began its austerity package and the economy has gone into a double dip. So Boner gives a speech to the Wall Street Bigwigs and they are non-plussed if not thinking "Who is this drunk?" To top that Boner then plans a Victory Tour to Catholic University, yes THE Catholic University! Amy Sullivan at Times' Swampland sez Catholics Take Boehner to Task As John Boehner (Catholic-OH) prepares to give the commencement address this weekend at Catholic University, a group of more than 70 Catholic theologians has sent him a tough letter noting that his voting record on economic issues does not match Catholic teaching. “From the Apostles to the present, the Magisterium of the Church has insisted that those in power are morally obliged to preference the needs of the poor. Your record in support of legislation to address the desperate needs of the poor is among the worst in Congress,” states the letter signed by Catholic theologians, including several from Boehner’s home state of Ohio. “This fundamental concern should have great urgency for Catholic policy makers. Yet, even now, you work in opposition to it.” Ouch. Do read the rest! So how's that merging of the Teabaggers and the Religious Wrong going for ya, John? Heresy John? Like BURN IN HELL, John? Wadda maroon! Of course the teabaggers and their ilk have no idea that they are being led to the slaughterhouse by multi-billionaires. We go to William I. Robinson at AJE for Global capitalism and 21st century fascism: The global economic crisis and the attack on immigrant rights are bound together in a web of 21st century fascism: In the face of crisis there appear to be distinct responses from states and social and political forces. Three stand out: global reformism; resurgent of popular and leftist struggles from below; far-right and 21st century fascism. There appears to be, above all, a political polarisation worldwide between the left and the right, both of which are insurgent forces. A neo-fascist insurgency is quite apparent in the United States. This insurgency can be traced back several decades, to the far-right mobilisation that began in the wake of the crisis of hegemony brought about by the mass struggles of the 1960s and the 1970s, especially the Black and Chicano liberation struggles and other militant movements by third world people, counter-cultural currents, and militant working class struggles. Neo-fascist forces re-organised during the years of the George W Bush government. But my story here starts with Obama's election. The Obama project from the start was an effort by dominant groups to re-establish hegemony in the wake of its deterioration during the Bush years (which also involved the rise of a mass immigrant rights movement). Obama's election was a challenge to the system at the cultural and ideological level, and has shaken up the racial/ethnic foundations upon which the US republic has always rested. However, the Obama project was never intended to challenge the socio-economic order; to the contrary; it sought to preserve and strengthen that order by reconstituting hegemony, conducting a passive revolution against mass discontent and spreading popular resistance that began to percolate in the final years of the Bush presidency. ... Obama's campaign tapped into and helped expand mass mobilisation and popular aspirations for change not seen in many years in the United States. The Obama project co-opted that brewing storm from below, channelled it into the electoral campaign, and then betrayed those aspirations, as the Democratic Party effectively demobilised the insurgency from below with more passive revolution. In this sense, the Obama project weakened the popular and left response from below to the crisis, which opened space for the right-wing response to the crisis - for a project of 21st century fascism - to become insurgent. Obama's administration appears in this way as a Weimar republic. Although the social democrats were in power during the Weimar republic of Germany in the 1920s and early 1930s, they did not pursue a leftist response to the crisis, but rather side-lined the militant trade unions, communists and socialists, and progressively pandered to capital and the right before turning over power to the Nazis in 1933. Do read the entire piece for full effect! Prairie2 explains gas prices in Fun Facts: Oil and gas: we are a major exporter of gasoline and have been right along no matter the price you pay at the pump. Inventory is at an 18 year high, if demand gets any lower the oil companies will start burning it to get rid of it as they can't stop producing gasoline without running short of the other components of oil. They don't "make" gasoline, about 40-45% of a barrel of oil is gasoline and it has to go somewhere. It is possible to make any hydrocarbon into some other carbon based product but it takes expensive infrastructure to do it. Oil companies are run by bankers and not by engineers. If you have that kind of money it is much easier to manipulate the market than to serve it. Speaking of those multi-billionaires do read this excellent piece by Rachel Tabachnick at alternet.org The DeVos Family: Meet the Super-Wealthy Right-Wingers Working With the Religious Right to Kill Public Education By now you've surely heard of the Kochs. Meanwhile, the powerful, wealthy DeVos family has remained largely under the radar, while leading a stealth assault on America's schools. Much too much to snip! Must read! Turning to Health Care Senator BERNIE SANDERS gets published in the Guardian.co.uk Single payer health: it's only fair: Twenty-three million Americans still without health insurance after health reform is implemented? This is unacceptable. And that is why, this week, Representative Jim McDermott and I are announcing the re-introduction of the American Health Security Act, recognising healthcare as a human right and providing every US citizen and permanent resident with healthcare coverage and services through a state-administered, single payer programme. Let's face it: until we put patients over profits, our system will not work for ordinary Americans. It is incomprehensible that drug companies still get away with charging Americans twice as much, or more, than citizens of Canada or Europe for the exact same drugs manufactured by the exact same companies. It is an outrage that insurers still often hike premiums 20%, 40% and 60% a year on individual policy holders; and some insurers still spend 40 cents of every premium dollar on administration and profits while lavishing multimillion-dollar payouts on their CEOs.It boggles the mind that approximately 30% of every healthcare dollar spent in the United States goes to administrative costs, rather than to delivering care. We must do better. ... I am very proud that my home state of Vermont is now taking big steps to lead the nation in healthcare by moving forward on a plan to establish a single payer healthcare system that puts the interests of patients over chasing profits. The American Health Security Act would make sure every state does the same – taking profits out of the equation by implementing a single payer system, but letting each state administer its own programme, according to strict standards, in a way best suited to its needs. You go Bernie! HACKTIVISTS AGAINST THE BORG NowPublic.com Tech & Biz reports Lulz Security Hacks Fox Broadcasting, Releases Personal Info A hacker group calling itself Lulz Security has hacked into a database containing the email addresses and passwords of around 300 Fox Broadcasting employees and affiliates. They also got info such as LinkedIn and Facebook logins. ... The group, which says it is unaffiliated with Anonymous, has been posting email/password lists on public-facing image-pasting sites, and has promised additional leaks each Monday. Lulz Security hinted at an attack on an FBI database, but it's not clear if the group is serious about that or not. While looking for this story we bumped into this from Deutsche Welle from March 30 (not reported in the U.S. apparently) Iranian hacker breaches Web's digital certificate system The Internet-security company Comodo said it sustained a major security breach by allowing nine SSL certificates to be issued in their name. These certificates digitally authenticate a secure connection to websites and are used by many major Internet companies, including Google, Microsoft and Skype. The hacker acquired fake certificates for Google and Microsoft's e-mail services, Yahoo, Skype, and Mozilla, the developer of the popular Firefox Web browser. Comodo, which disclosed the attack on its company blog on March 23, revoked the affected certificates when it became aware of the attack, eliminating the risk of their being used for malicious purposes. ... "In theory, an Iranian attempting to log into his Yahoo account, for example, could have been misdirected to a fake site," Mikko Hypponen, the chief research officer at F-Secure, a computer security research firm in Finland, wrote on his company's blog last week. "That would allow the perpetrators to obtain a host of online information including contents of e-mail, passwords and usernames, while monitoring activity on the dummy sites. Since the targeted sites offer communication services, not financial transactions, Comodo said it seemed clear the hackers sought information, not money." ... "A rogue SSL certificate alone doesn't get you anywhere, you still need to be able to reroute the victim's traffic to a server that the attacker can control," Hypponen wrote. "Comodohacker claims he has infiltrated the networks of MKO et al. This would create a plausible scenario. If he is able to reconfigure the routers or firewalls of an organization, he can reroute, say, login.skype.com to his own server and do invisible man-in-the-middle with a rogue SSL certificate, stealing usernames and passwords." "ISPs and [certificate authorities] around the world should be watching very carefully for weird certificate requests for the servers he was targeting originally," he added. We forgot this one the other week on UBL: Rachel Maddow watches a lot of teevee so you don't have to in this video 'Evolving news stories evolve' from May 3: Rachel Maddow points out the divergence in the details being reported on the raid of the bin Laden compound and the lesson that sweeping conclusions should not be drawn or argued while a story is still developing. And we also need to mention Robert Parry's The Curious Bush/Bin Laden Symbiosis May 7 at consortiumnews.com: We now know that Bush’s second term meant a continuation of bin Laden’s relative safety. In 2005, Bush closed down a special CIA unit that had been tracking bin Laden’s whereabouts for almost a decade, with its responsibilities merged with a broader counter-terrorism office. In 2006, more information also surfaced about how Bush’s pivot to Iraq had protected bin Laden. Lt. Gen. John Vines told the Washington Post that his troops were within a half-hour of catching bin Laden but needed three drones to cover the escape routes. The general said only one drone was available because the others had been reassigned for service in Iraq. According to new evidence that has surfaced since bin Laden’s death, it appears that early in Bush’s second term, bin Laden moved into the compound in Abbottabad, an hour-or-so drive from Pakistan's capital of Islamabad, where he set up house with family members, including his young wife. By late 2005, bin Laden’s inner circle also understood that their safety and success were tied to dragging out the U.S. military debacle in Iraq, which Bush called the “central front in the war on terror,” even though bin Laden was about 1,500 miles away in Pakistan. ... The hard truth is that Bush and bin Laden shared a common goal in Iraq. They both wanted U.S. forces to “stay the course.” Can you believe it? For your Sunday Funnies be sure to catch PAUL KRUGMAN on This Anampout to discuss the above post and more while Face the Bob gets JOHN "Crybaby" BOEHNER. Bet here is Bob won't ask the Orange Man about Catholic University! Throw bricks at GOP Hopelesses NEWT "contract ON America" GINGRICH on Meet the David and RON PAUL & MIKE HUCKABEE on Fake Snooze plus JOHN "Death Squad" NEGROPONTE, MITCH "No Neck" MCCONNELL and PAUL "Slash Medicare" RYAN on State of the Candy. Plenty real news below including Laura Flanders with BERNIE SANDERS & CHRIS HEDGES as GritTV is leaving us until next Autumn to return on PBS for a one-hour show called "The Laura Flanders Show!" Catchy name, eh? Good luck Laura and crew! The Brick TeeVee Crew is heading off to The Prog to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Lenny Barker's Perfect Game. See Vintage Video: Len Barker's Perfect Game at the famous Scene Magazine and Baseball Almanac has the box score and notes. However we've been deluged with rain, Saturday's game was postponed and Sunday has an 80% chance of rain, too, so we'll see. Enjoy your week!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
JAPAN IN CRISIS JAPAN IN CRISIS Democracy Now! reports on the disaster in Japan following a massive 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami and the resulting nuclear crisis.
»»» Sharif Abdel Kouddous @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Sharif Abdel Kouddous Reports from Cairo on Rising Sectarian Tension in Egypt After Deadly Attack on Coptic Christian Church May 9, 2011
»»» Maria LaHood of the Center for Constitutional Rights @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW U.S. Assassination Campaign Continues as CIA Drone Targets U.S.-Born Cleric Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen May 9, 2011
»»» Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW BROADCAST EXCLUSIVE: Playwright Tony Kushner Speaks Out on CUNY Controversy, Academic Freedom and Israel May 10, 2011
»»» Smita Narula of the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice at New York University Law School @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW "Every 30 Minutes": Crushed by Debt and Neoliberal Reforms, Indian Farmers Commit Suicide at Staggering Rate May 11, 2011
»»» Noam Chomsky @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Noam Chomsky: "The U.S. and Its Allies Will Do Anything to Prevent Democracy in the Arab World" May 11, 2011
»»» Rep. Luis Gutierrez @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Obama Has Discretionary Authority to Advance DREAM Act, Humane Immigration Reform RELATED: “They Are Violating All the Rules”: Rep. Luis Gutierrez Calls for Public Hearings, Impact Studies into Massive Gas Pipeline for Puerto Rico May 12, 2011
»»» Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzón @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Spanish Judge Baltasar Garzón on Holding Torturers Accountable, Why He Opposes the Killing of Osama bin Laden, and His Threatened Ouster from the Bench May 12, 2011
»»» Times of London correspondent Iona Craig @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW "Friday of Decisiveness in Yemen”: Tens of Thousands Protest as President Saleh Defiantly Rejects Demands to Resign May 13, 2011
»»» ProPublica reporter Kim Barker (sister of Parvaz’s fiancé, Todd Barker) @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Al Jazeera Journalist Dorothy Parvaz Remains Missing After Being Detained in Syria, Then Deported to Iran> May 13, 2011
»»» Steve Earle @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW “Making Art in America is a Political Statement in Itself”: Grammy Award-winning Singer Steve Earle on Music, Writing and Acting May 13, 2011
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW @ GRITtv WATCH Chris Hedges: The World As it Is "You can't sustain a democracy in an oligarchic state. The writers on Athenian democracy understood that 2000 years ago," says Chris Hedges, whose new book The World As It Is: Dispatches on the Myth of Human Progress explores the problems of a crumbling empire, inside and out.
»»» Senator Bernie Sanders @ GRITtv Sen. Bernie Sanders: We're All In This Together on Health Care
»»» BIG NEWS @ GRITtv GRITtv is becoming The Laura Flanders Show! As you know, we have been pursuing national syndication. We are now pleased to announce that starting later this summer, The Laura Flanders Show will appear on public TV stations across the country -- including in major markets in San Francisco, Denver, Philadelphia and Washington, DC, distributed by EPS, Executive Program Services Inc. (more...)
»»» The F Word @ GRITtv May 13th, 2011 The F Word: Goodbye For Now from GRITtv Three years ago today, on May 12, 2008, the first episode of GRITtv hit the air. Given life by Free Speech TV, the project we imagined was a daily forum for changemakers that would welcome new voices and celebrate diversity. In those three years, we've brought to public attention hundreds of fresh thinkers not seen anywhere else, and drilled down hard, and day after day, on critical themes like the foreclosure crisis and the Wall Street meltdown. We spoke regularly with real experts as well as real working people. We traveled to D.C. for the inauguration of President Obama. “What are we going to inaugurate?” was our question. And we stood in the cold with labor protesters, week after week, in Wisconsin. Special guests I remember -- the extraordinary Eduardo Galeano reading aloud from his book Mirrors, labor rank and file like Angel Warner describing what it is to organize. The much missed Juliano Mer Khamis with his students from Jenin talking about theater and freedom. When the National Portrait gallery caved to the censors we played David Wojnarovicz's video on homophobia and AIDS for all to see. And we platformed the work of our brilliant GRITtv Commentators, GRIT Group partners and friends at The Nation, Brave New Films, Women Make Movies, and many more. Three years later, you can find all that work permanently archived at our website. Just check it out. Effective today, though, we're suspending daily production to retool. Come this fall, with your help, you'll see a new project: a one-hour weekly program, right here, and also on PBS stations from coast to coast. You can contribute to that effort online, right now. I think of the words of a few recent guests. Vandana Shiva reminded us of the principles of Gandhi: self governance, self-sufficiency, struggle for truth. The reality is that effective self governance requires a free media, but independent media makers have yet to make ourselves self-sufficient. We hope a weekly show will have a better chance. But today it breaks my heart to close down a daily platform for movements, and to say goodbye to an extraordinary team - Gina Kim, Diane Shamis, Sam Alcoff, Rich Kim, Diane Pottinger, Sarah Jaffe, Jason Abbruzzese, Danya Abt and Rebecca McDonald--- most of whom have been with me since day one. We asked Bob Herbert recently if it's hard to stay on the beat of the "left out" people when our money culture so prioritizes insiders and fame? His answer -- it's what I'm interested in. The same is true for us too. Fight for Truth. While we're taking a break today, that work will carry on. You can support GRITtv at GRITtv.org and support Free Speech TV. We'll see you in the next place soon.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©!
»»» MLB on TBS Phillies @ Braves 1:30 pm et
»»» NASCAR on FOX FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks from the 1-mile Dover International Speedway! Coverage begins at 1 pm et
»»» Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN Red Sox @ Yankees 8 pm et
»»» Monday Night Baseball on ESPN Phillies @ Cardinals! 7 pm et
»»» NBA PLAYOFFS Grizzlies @ Thunder West semi-final tied at 3-3! 3:30 pm on ABC plus Eastern Conference finals begin with Heat @ Bulls 8 pm et on TNT. More playoff games all week! Check yer local listings!
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. Today the Campaign for America’s Future is sending letters to all the major media demanding that the views of the American Majority be represented in the news programs, print articles and opinion pages, and in the non-stop daily and Sunday talk shows in which the debate about America’s future is being conducted as we move toward the showdown over the budget. We are demanding representation in the media proportional to the size of the American Majority. And we are making the point that the views of the majority are not irrational—and that in a democracy the majority deserves to be heard, not patronized. We are also supplying the media with an extensive list of economists, experts and advocates who share the majority view that deficits are not now the major threat to U.S. prosperity, and that getting revenue back into the budget is far less damaging (and more just) than cutting spending and crippling important programs for the poor and the elderly. And we are telling them that occasionally featuring the great Paul Krugman, as though his views represent a lonely majority, is not enough. ... The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org UPDATE! A Typical Day For PFC Bradley Manning at Fort Leavenworth 1 PFC Manning was transferred to the Joint Regional Corrections Facility (JRCF) at Fort Leavenworth on April 20, 2011. I was able to tour the facility and meet with PFC Manning last week. PFC Manning is now being held in Medium Custody. He is no longer under Prevention of Injury watch and is no longer subjected to harsh pretrial confinement conditions. Unlike at Quantico, PFC Manning cell has a large window that provides adequate natural light. His cell also has a desk, a bed, and a toilet. The cell is approximately 80 square feet. He is provided with a normal mattress, sheets and a pillow. None of his clothing is taken away from him at night. PFC Manning is able to have all of his personal items in his cell, which include his clothing, his legal materials, books and letters from family and friends. He is also able to have a pen and paper at all times in his cell, and is able to write whenever he chooses. ...... Correspondence can be sent to PFC Manning at the following address: Bradley Manning 89289, JRCF, 830 Sabalu Road, Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027-2315 More at link.
EMAIL UPDATE! Help us reach our goal of a half million by signing the petition, and passing it on. Add your name! AND Vote for Bradley in the 2011 Time Magazine 100 Poll here!
Add your name to this petition Eminent US legal scholars protest 'torture' of Bradley Manning.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackeberries, Droid and other phonesto help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. The T.J. Martell Foundation is the music industry's largest foundation funding cutting edge medical research focused on finding cures for leukemia, cancer and AIDS. The Foundation sources and supports early-stage research projects aimed at developing more effective treatments for patients which otherwise might not be funded. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,452 US Military Dead as of May 15, 2011
AFGHANISTAN: 1,572 US Military Dead as of May 15, 2011
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) with Christiane Amanpour
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley
• Nobel Prize-winning economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman
• FDIC Chairwoman Sheila Bair
• Former Deputy Treasury Secretary Roger Altman
• former Congressional Budget Office Director and McCain economic adviser Douglas Holtz-Eakin
• Richard Haass of the Council on Foreign Relations
• Robert Kagan of the Brookings Institution
• Anthony Shadid of The New York Times
• ROUNDTABLE: George Will, Cokie Roberts and ABC News Political Director Amy Walter
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer Topic: Boehner throws down the debt limit gauntlet
• House Speaker John Boehner
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Soldiers' Secretary - Secretary of Defense Robert Gates in his first interview since the killing of Osama bin Laden. Katie Couric also traveled with the secretary on a five-day mission to the Middle East that included a stop in Iraq. Tom Anderson is the producer
• Afghanistan's Top Spy - The former head of Afghanistan's intelligence says Pakistan has supported the Taliban for years and in 2007, he says, his information pinpointed Osama bin Laden 12 miles from where American forces killed him last week. Lara Logan reports. Max McClellan is the producer.
• Sovereign Citizens - Anti-government American extremists who don't pay taxes and ignore requirements like social security cards and drivers licenses are on the rise. Called sovereign citizens, some have become violent and the FBI considers them a domestic terror threat. Byron Pitts reports. Clem Taylor is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich
• ROUNDTABLE: Columnist for the Washington Post, EJ Dionne; columnist for the Wall Street Journal, Peggy Noonan; senior political analyst for Time Magazine, Mark Halperin; White House Correspondent for the New York Times, Helene Cooper; and chief political writer for the New York Times Magazine, Matt Bai.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN)
At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
• House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan
• former Clinton senior adviser and spokesman Joe Lockhart
• former Bush strategy and policy adviser Michael Gerson
• two former directors of national intelligence: Adm. Dennis Blair (Ret.) and Amb. John Negroponte.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of the conversation on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email: bob [at] headonradio [dot] com.
• PRAYER MEETIN' WEDNESDAY!!!!!! Uber Pope Bob lets the Religious Right have it! Listen HERE (mp3)!
Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment!
Go see greennews.bradblog.com!
• 'Green News Report' - May 12, 2011 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Oil industry on the hot seat --- again --- fighting to hold on to their billion-dollar taxpayer "incentives" (a.k.a. corporate welfare); Renewable energy can replace fossil fuels by 2050; PLUS: Satirists Attack! And fossil-fuel companies cry foul! ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): ec. Clinton at Arctic Council mtg. for treaty on climate change, drilling; Wikileaks cables show race to carve up the Arctic; Now the Pope is down with climate change; There is NO 'rebound effect'; Yucca Shutdown Was Political; Unusual "Mishaps" At 3 U.S. Nuclear Power Plants; NRC Waives Enforcement of Fire Rules; Panel Urges Germany to Close Nuclear Plants ; 'People power' blocks dam construction in India; Mega-Fire risk is global and growing; The psychological roots of resource over-consumption; LOL: Oil front group argues against tax breaks for natural gas; Surprise! Fox News lies again about climate science; Oil CEOs Among Highest Paid ... PLUS: Bill Gates' [big glaring] Blind Spots [climate change, energy, efficiency]... Links to STORIES DISCUSSED IN TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT' at Green News Report! Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
UPDATE! Kentucky election officials get 156 years for rigging e-voting machines, buying/selling votes It is now officially impossible to know whether thousands of paper ballots being counted in the state of Wisconsin’s Supreme Court election “recount” are the same ones actually cast on Election Day. It didn’t have to be that way, unlike in Kentucky, where the voters never had a chance, and where high-ranking election officials have now been sentenced to more than 150 years in federal jail following “decades” of manipulated elections. Thanks to serious chain of custody violations in Wisconsin — such as ballot bags discovered to have been left “wide open” and unsealed in Waukesha County, and ballots left completely unsecured for weeks in the office of the Verona City Clerk in Dane County — that now make it quite likely the real winner of the April 5th election for a 10-year term on the bench of that state’s highest court will never be known for certain. That, even though thousands of votes have now been verified as having been miscounted during the state’s partial hand-count, and even as the hotly-contested seat in question will determine the ideological balance of the court during one of the most contentious moments in Badger State history. The majority of voters in Wisconsin cast their votes on hand-marked paper ballots. However, due to a failure to count those ballots publicly on Election Night, at the precinct, in front of the public (as per “Democracy’s Gold Standard”), citizens are left guessing and forced to place misguided trust in partisan election officials like GOP activist and Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus and her unsecure chain of custody and election reporting procedures...more at BradBlog.com.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• PBC Live! Weekly on KGO PBC Live! Weekly on KGO Your humble host has been remiss in keeping you apprised of his other media activities. Since February, I’ve been hosting a regular weekly show on KGO, the leading San Francisco talk station with a huge coverage area–at night, you can hear it anywhere on the West Coast. TFN (till further notice), you can hear me every Friday night–or, more precisely, Saturday morning, from 1-5 am (PDT) on 810-AM or streaming at www.kgoradio.com. If you’d like to be alerted each week, sign up on Facebook as a fan of “Peter B. Collins Show” or you can follow me on Twitter, @pbcsf
• PBC Podcast 247 Fight Against Patriot Act Renewal and FBI Police-State Tactics Heats Up; Florida Criminalizes Poverty and Cuts Unemployment Benefits Shahid Buttar, the rhymin’ executive director of Bill of Rights Defense Committee returns to talk about FBI abuses, this month’s vote in Congress on extending the Patriot Act, and the appointment of a new FBI director this year; Keith McHenry, co-founder of Food Not Bombs, reports on the efforts in Florida...
• PBC Podcast 248 On Afghanistan: Second Instalment of Gould & Fitzgerald As promised in Podcast 233 released on 4/1/11, here is a follow-up interview with Gould and Fitzgerald, co-hosted with Sibel Edmonds of Boiling Frogs Post. It’s a wide-ranging discussion of recent events and the current situation in Afghanistan.
• PBC Podcast 249 Siegelman’s Political Persecution Continues; Dr. David Ansell on His New Book, “County” Former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman and intrepid blogger Roger Shuler return to report on a recent Appeals court ruling in the case; Dr. David Ansell, author of County: Life, Death and Politics at Chicago’s Public Hospital.
• PBC Podcast 250 Antonia Juhasz on Gulf Oil Blowout; PBC Raises Quaint Questions About bin Laden’s Execution; Will Durst on Obama Gets Osama Oil industry expert Antonia Juhasz returns to talk about Black Tide: The Devastating Impact of the Gulf Oil Spill; your humble host rants about morality and rule of law in the killing of bin Laden; Will Durst has his own take on Obama vs. Osama.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! May 6th, 2010
• This week on Ring of Fire: former health insurance insider turned Whistleblower – Wendell Potter will be joining us to discuss how the state of Vermont decided to take the lead and propose single payer healthcare for their citizens.
• We’ll also talk with Andy Kroll from Mother Jones magazine about truth behind the jobs recovery – the jobs that have been created aren’t the ones that American workers were hoping for.
• Blogger and author Chauncey DeVega will help us drill down to the root causes of the Tea Party’s birtherism.
• And we’ll be talking with journalist Daniel Denvir about the GOP’s continued war on science, and we’ll find out why James Inhofe thinks he knows more about climate change than actual scientists.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the “Podcast” tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm (4 pm on XM 167) featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• A 'No Fly List' For Trains. Really? What's Next? [05•09•11]
• Breaking Down Alan Simpson's Social Security Lies [05•10•11]
• Vicki Abeles, Producer of Race to Nowhere, on Education Reform [05•11•11]
MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityreport.official.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts “The Truth About Markets” on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s “People & Power” series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• VIDEO! The Official Silver Liberation Army! See SilverLiberationArmy.com !
• GUEST POST Mike Krieger: The War on Freedom
• Unlucky 13 for Greece READ Greece had 13 off-market deals with Goldman to hide debts at Independent.ie
• ECB says releasing details of Goldman’s fraud in Greece might disrupt markets READ Yesterday Eurostat disclosed that in order to hide its debt over the past decade, Greece had entered into not one, not two, but a total of 13 different currency swap contracts with Goldman Sachs at zerohedge
• INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM IS BACK!!!! MATT TAIBBI’S SCATHING EXPOSE OF GOLDMAN KNOCKS BILLIONS OF STOCK PRICE Read Dick Bove Cuts Goldman To Sell, Lowers Price Target From $163 To $120 at zerohedge and Matt Taibbi – The People vs Goldman Sachs at RollingStone.com
• Jim Rickards discusses varioius options and prices in the transition to a gold standard
• KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Economic Euthanasia
• KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Top Down Tyranny with Guest: Eric Sprott We interview Eric Sprott. “Sprott Money Ltd. buys and sells precious metals to Canadian and US investors”.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS  The Truth About Fruit & Veg Markets – 23 April 2011 Stacy Summary: Special outdoor Truth About Markets episode for Easter and as a special gift to Richard at Resonance. Download mp3 HERE Donations to ResonanceFM here.
• ON THE EDGE [OTE108] On the Edge with Kurt Cobb
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Alfred McCoy May 3, 2011: Alfred McCoy, professor of history at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, discusses his article on the US empire of failed states at TomDispatch; the post-WWII breakup of European empires into 100 new countries, shifting the balance of world power; how empires require cooperative foreign elites to keep the natives under control; the transition from imperial Britain’s dominant naval power to US air supremacy, which requires many more military bases (which are slipping away as the US loses its empire mojo); and how competition from BRICS and the global economy make US client states less dependent on their benefactor.
• Kevin Zeese May 10, 2011: Kevin Zeese, Executive Director and co-founder of VotersForPeace, discusses Obama’s declaration that Bradley Manning “broke the law” – despite awaiting a military trial ostensibly for the purpose of determining guilt or innocence – and how that makes a fair trial impossible; Obama’s bogus reasoning on why Manning is a criminal but Pentagon Papers whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg is not; Manning’s noble motives for leaking documents to WikiLeaks, if the Wired chat logs are to be believed; the Collateral Murder video and evidence of war crimes in Iraq; and a chronicle of Manning’s torture while in custody at the Quantico Marine brig. This recording is from the KPFK 90.7 FM Los Angeles broadcast of April 22nd. The KPFK archive is here.
• Coleen RowleyMay 10, 2011: Coleen Rowley, retired FBI agent and 9/11 whistleblower, discusses her Washington Times article (with Philip Leggiere) “Let the Patriot Act Die: Invasive provisions about to expire haven’t made us safer;” Senator Russ Feingold’s “Justice Act” designed to reign in the excesses of the Patriot Act; how war is making the US less safe and poorer; how the FBI’s uses National Security Letters to collect vast amounts of information on Americans with little oversight or accountability; and the many perfectly adequate terrorism-fighting laws already on the books before the Patriot Act’s passage.
• Jason Ditz May 14, 2011: Jason Ditz, managing news editor at Antiwar.com, discusses the latest news with Scott, who’s been on the road this week and missed that whole bin Laden story; the changing US government narrative on events before, during and after the bin Laden raid; the already-forgotten euphoria that gave Obama’s approval rating a temporary boost and had crowds chanting USA! USA!; the White House’s confident assertion that the raid sets a “precedent” that may well be repeated; renewed drone strikes and attention on the tribal areas even though bin Laden was caught in Pakistan proper, nearer India than Afghanistan; and why the US may be jumping the shark on Syria regime change.
• The Other Scott Horton May 14, 2011: The Other Scott Horton (no relation), international human rights lawyer, professor and contributing editor at Harper’s magazine, discusses winning the National Magazine Award for Reporting for his article “The Guantanamo “suicides”: A Camp Delta sergeant blows the whistle;” the still-developing story, including more details on the infamous “Camp No”; why torture still isn’t justified and didn’t help find bin Laden (according to John McCain); the scope and severity of the torture programs under the Bush and Obama administrations; the strangely outdated WikiLeaks Guantanamo documents; and how the DC Circuit Court is working to undermine the SCOTUS ruling on Boumediene v. Bush and keep Guantanamo open forever.
Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Fmr. Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-AR)
• Rep. Ron Paul, (R) Texas
• Sen. Dick Durbin, (D) Illinois / Majority Whip
• Sen. Jon Kyl, (R) Arizona / Minority Whip
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml