Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!!
Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
DHS, OWS, NDAA, JPMC and more! Things took a turn for the better in the Murdoch media empire in the UK! Rebekah Brooks defiant over charges relating to phone-hacking 'cover-up' .... Rebekah Brooks made a defiant attack on the "weak and unjust" decision by the prosecuting authorities to bring charges against her on Tuesday and dismissed the case as an "expensive sideshow and waste of public money"..... The couple were among six individuals – including News International's head of security, Mark Hanna – charged over allegations that they were engaged in a cover-up to hide evidence from police investigating phone hacking at the News of the World. One of the most high profile figures in the newspaper industry, and a close confidante of Rupert Murdoch, Brooks was charged by police at a police station in Lewisham on Tuesday afternoon. She had travelled to London with her husband from their home in Oxfordshire to answer bail after their arrest in March. The couple were made to attend different police stations – Mrs Brooks at Lewisham, and her husband at Hammersmith – to have the charges laid against them. The decision to bring the first charges in the long-running phone-hacking investigation, Operation Weeting, had been announced earlier by Alison Levitt QC, of the CPS, in a high-profile televised statement, the lawyer said, in the interests of "transparency and accountability". Brooks, however, condemned the live broadcast as "the further unprecedented posturing of the CPS". All the alleged offences took place in July last year when the phone-hacking investigation was at its height. The charge is a serious one which carries a maximum penalty of life, although the average term served in prison is 10 months. Brooks also remains on bail over phone-hacking allegations and allegations over bribes to public officials. .... Looking tired, Brooks said: "Whilst I have always respected the criminal justice system, you have to question whether this decision has been made on a proper impartial assessment of the evidence. Although I understand the need for a thorough investigation, I am baffled by the decision to charge me. "However, I cannot express my anger enough that those close to me have unfairly been dragged into this. "As the details of the case emerge people will see today as an expensive sideshow, and a waste of public money as a result of this weak and unjust decision." Boo freakin' hoo Bekah! Playing The Victim is not gonna work this time!
THIS JUST IN! Greece No Longer a Nation; Announces Plan to Become Social Network After struggling for months with an intractable financial crisis, Greece announced today that it would cease to exist as a sovereign nation and would instead reboot itself as a social network. The new entity, FetaBook, is expected to raise much-needed billions in an upcoming IPO. The social network formerly known as Greece announced that it would cancel its upcoming elections and instead install a CEO, a 24-year-old hacker from suburban Athens named Ciro Mavromatidis. ..... He said under the new plan, all Greeks would cease to be citizens of Greece and would instead become friends of FetaBook: “They won’t receive any government benefits anymore, but they’ll be able to grow all the imaginary food they want.” More at the Borowitz Report! If you think that's funny, then check out AdBusters' Tactical Briefing #27 MAY 18 GLOBAL #LAUGHRIOT
- Alright you wild cats, nimble dreamers and jammer tacticians,
In a sudden about-face, the United States has conceded a victory to Occupy and moved May’s G8 summit to Camp David, an impenetrable military base in rural Maryland. Wow! Looks like the specter of 50,000 occupiers ready to swarm with a list of demands has turned the climactic Showdown in Chicago into a humiliating G8 Backdown. Bravo! Splitting the G8 and NATO summits was a deft move… but now we’ve got a major tactical rethink on our hands.
The big question is do we follow Mao’s advice (“when the enemy retreats, we pursue”) or Sun Tzu’s (“Do not pursue an enemy who simulates flight”)? We’ve heard persuasive arguments on all sides. Some occupiers say the movement should lay chase and go for #OCCUPYCAMPDAVID against all odds … a month of tree-sits, lockdowns and nomadic encampments in the woods and nearby Thurmont. Others believe it’s best to up the ante with #OCCUPYCHICAGO: an even bigger mobilization beginning with the May Day General Strike. Still others advocate an unpredictable everywhere-at-once global insurgency of anarchic swarms throughout the month of May.
When Ben Ali first attacked then tried to hide from his people, he was toppled. When Mubarak refused to negotiate and tried to beat his people back into line, he was deposed. Now the White House and the G8 are repeating the mistakes of last year’s autocrats … first they try to scare us with tough talk of repressive anti-Occupy ordinances, crowd suppression technologies and paramilitary policing, then they make a hasty retreat to the safety of Camp David.
The world’s leaders flee from us … so what do we do? Maybe we just laugh at them?
On May 18, the day the G8 leaders meet in Camp David, why don’t we, the people of the world have a #LAUGHRIOT. Let roars of laughter rise up from towns and cities everywhere at the spectacle of the world’s leaders trying to crisis manage the economy from behind closed doors and razor wire fences.
Laughter is one of the most powerful tactical weapons of memewar … it signals supremacy and loss of fear. So let’s pull off the greatest comedy of howling flash mobs, riotous street parties and hysterical pranks the world has ever seen. May 18 could be a monumental tipping point… an ahahaha! moment when the people of the world have a collective epiphany, and from that point on start thinking differently about how the world should be governed.
Jammers, whatever we do this Spring, let’s float like butterflies and sting like bees! Let’s bend the G8 and NATO to our will with shock tactics and audacious culture jams that capture the imagination of the world. We may be far closer to a Global Spring than any of us has so far dared to imagine …
As for the DOJ’s first argument — lack of standing — the court found that the plaintiffs are already suffering substantial injury from the reasonable fear that they could be indefinitely detained under section 1021 of the NDAA as a result of their constitutionally protected activities. As the court explained (h/t Charles Michael):
- In support of their motion, Plaintiffs assert that § 1021 already has impacted their associational and expressive activities–and would continue to impact them, and that § 1021 is vague to such an extent that it provokes fear that certain of their associational and expressive activities could subject them to indefinite or prolonged military detention.
- Plaintiffs have shown a likelihood of success on their vagueness challenge. The terms upon which they focused at the hearing relate to who is a “covered person.” In that regard, plaintiffs took issue with the lack of definition and clarity regarding who constitutes an “associated forces,” and what it means to "substantially" or "directly" "support" such forces or, al-Qaeda or the Taliban. . . .
The Government was unable to define precisely what "direct" or "substantial" "support" means. . . .Thus, an individual could run the risk of substantially supporting or directly supporting an associated force without even being aware that he or she was doing so.
- [WaPo] Elizabeth Warren, a Massachusetts candidate for U.S. Senate, called for JPMorgan Chase & Co. Chief Executive Officer Jamie Dimon to resign his position as a director at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Dimon, who disclosed a $2 billion trading loss by his bank last week, shouldn’t stay on the board of the New York Fed because “he advises the Federal Reserve on the oversight of the financial industry,” she said in an e-mail release. Warren, a Democrat, has served in the Office of the President and as chairwoman of the Congressional Oversight Panel for the Troubled Asset Relief Program. She helped establish the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. “After the biggest financial crisis in generations, the American people are frustrated that Wall Street has still not been held accountable and does not appear to consider itself responsible,” she said. “Dimon should resign from his post at the New York Fed to send a signal to the American people that Wall Street bankers get it and to show that they understand the need for responsibility and accountability.”
- 10:41am: .... Now Dimon makes a claim that will come as a surprise to anyone who has followed his criticism of the government in the past four years. He says that he and the bank have always supported bank regulations. He says they're in favor of "80-90 percent" of Dodd-Frank. He says JP Morgan supports regulations including higher capital liquidity requirements and "too big to fail" restrictions." "We all want better, stronger, smarter regulation," Dimon says. Dimon: regulatory cheerleader. The SEC will be thrilled to hear the news.
- 10.57am: This morning Dimon claims to have always supported "80-90 percent" of Dodd-Frank. But when he appeared on Sunday on "Meet the Press," the figure was only "70 percent." Dimon is attempting a retroactive makeover of the bank's – and his own – stance on regulation. It's a whitewash, plain and simple.
BILL BLACK explains the entire JPMC debacle on DN! Tuesday Crony Capitalism: After Lobbying Against New Financial Regulations, JPMorgan Loses $2B in Risky Bet & Ex-Financial Regulator William Black: Austerity is Sinking Economies from Europe to U.S. A snip: WILLIAM BLACK: Finance is supposed to simply be a middleman to help the real economy. It in fact now completely dominates and is a parasite on the real economy. German austerity has pushed the entire eurozone into recession and the periphery into Great Depression-level unemployment. And the same arguments are being made in the United States and are used as a pretext to try to destroy Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. It is economically illiterate, but politically attractive.
If you missed the front page of the NYT last Thurday ThinkProgress has an update!
Meet Joe Ricketts: Billionaire Has Millions To Smear Obama, Demands Massive Taxpayer Subsidy For Baseball Stadium This week, the New York Times reported that Joe Ricketts, a right-wing billionaire and founder of TD Ameritrade, is soliciting multi-million dollar ad proposals to attack President Obama. One such proposal, leaked to the paper, was a $10 million, racially-charged campaign entitled “The Defeat of Barack Hussein Obama: The Ricketts Plan to End his Spending for Good.” The proposal, which center on Rev. Jeremiah Wright, suggests hiring an “extremely literate conservative African-American” to break down Obama’s image as a “metrosexual, black Abe Lincoln.” Ricketts moved quickly to publicly reject the plan after it leaked. His spokesman said it “reflects an approach to politics that Mr. Ricketts rejects and it was never a plan to be accepted but only a suggestion.” (The statement seems somewhat disingenuous as the Ricketts had already given “preliminary approval” for the $10 million concept after seeing a separate ad about Jeremiah Wright.) Nevertheless, Ricketts’ spokesman confirmed his intention spend money attacking Obama through an organization he controls called “Ending Spending Political Action Fund.” There is one area, however, where Ricketts is much more open to government spending. He’s seeking a massive government subsidy for the Chicago Cubs, which he owns with his family, to renovate Wrigley Field. Here is the deal the Ricketts family is seeking, via Crain’s Chicago Business:That means $300 million is needed for the ballpark proper. .... But it’s a little more complicated than that. The team also wants a 50 percent cut of any increase in amusement tax revenue growth above 6 percent. And unlike the bonds, which would be retired in 30 or 35 years, that would be forever. So Joe Ricketts and his family not only want a $150 million subsidy directly from taxpayers but also a large chunk of tax revenue from the city in perpetuity. In other words, taxes from the City of Chicago would no longer go to roads, schools and police officers but also into Joe Ricketts pocket. Without this taxpayer welfare, the family will presumably let Cubs, which they acquired in a highly competitive bidding process in 2009, play in a stadium that is falling into disrepair. ..... Here's something you don't see every day in the Des Moines Register Iowa View: Oil billionaires wrong about clean energy My name is Rob Hach. I am an Iowa farm boy who moved into town to start a business. That was 10 years ago. Today my wife and I have 28 employees and four offices in four states at Anemometry Specialists. We work in the wind industry on turbines. We are proud to be among those who help make Iowa the No. 1 state in the country for wind jobs. Iowa also ranks second in electricity generation from wind. Last August, during President Obama’s rural tour through the Midwest, I had a chance to tell him I have 28 employees working in wind energy who have been kept on our payroll thanks to his administration’s investment in clean energy. That’s why it makes me so angry to see secretive oil billionaires spending millions of dollars on false smear TV commercials targeting the president’s investments in clean energy. It is difficult to watch these people air their TV ads slapping around the president’s support of my employees’ jobs and ridiculous claims that he created jobs in Mexico and China. .... Unfortunately, Mitt Romney, in his economic plan, has said wind and solar power are technologies that “make little sense for the consuming public but great sense only for the companies reaping profits from taxpayer subsidies.” I can tell you that I’m not reaping massive profits like the oil billionaires funding these ads with their billions in subsidies and tax breaks. And the real surprise? Wrote Hach, "When this lands in the local paper, I am going to shock a few people. Many people locally know I am a registered Republican." Haha!
FUKUSHIMA UPDATE: Arnie Gunderson www.FaireWinds.org VIDEO! Fukushima Daiichi: The Truth and the FutureAs part of a presentation in Kansai, Japan on May 12th 2012, Maggie and Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Energy Education answered specific questions asked by symposium organizers regarding the condition of the spent fuel pool at Fukushima Daiichi Unit 4. Fairewinds analyzes the explosion at Fukushima Daiichi Unit 3. Also, Arnie discusses what the future may hold for Japan if it chooses a path without nuclear power. And from Fukushima-Diary.com Dr. Helen Caldicott interviews Arnold Gundersen This week, Dr. Helen Caldicott talks with nuclear energy consultant Arnold Gundersen from Fairewinds Associates for another update about the ongoing situation at the damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan, and the worldwide implications of the multiple meltdowns at the site. Podcast HERE at radio4all.net. Next
Derrick Jensen posted A New Declaration at the Occupied Wall St. Journal which begins We hold these truths to be self-evident: That the real, physical world is the source of our own lives, and the lives of others. A weakened planet is less capable of supporting life, human or otherwise. Thus the health of the real world is primary, more important than any social or economic system, because all social or economic systems are dependent upon a living planet. Please read all of this! Jensen correctly identifies "Capitalism is killing the planet. Industrial civilization is killing the planet." Get his books and more HERE and check out END:CIV – RESIST OR DIE – FULL DOCUMENTARY a film by Franklin Lopez. Our LAST WORD goes to Tom Engelhardt of TomDispatch Tomgram: Ernest Callenbach, Last Words to an America in Decline Thirty-five years later, it was still on my bookshelf in a little section on utopias (as well it should have been, being a modern classic). A friend had written his name inside the cover and even dated it: August 1976, the month I returned to New York City from years of R&R on the West Coast. Whether I borrowed it and never returned it or he gave it to me neither of us now remembers, but Ecotopia, the visionary novel 25 publishers rejected before Ernest Callenbach published it himself in 1975, was still there ready to be read again a lifetime later.
Callenbach once called that book “my bet with the future,” and in publishing terms it would prove a pure winner. To date it has sold nearly a million copies and been translated into many languages. On second look, it proved to be a book not only ahead of its time but (sadly) of ours as well. For me, it was a unique rereading experience, in part because every page of that original edition came off in my hands as I turned it. How appropriate to finish Ecotopia with a loose-leaf pile of paper in a New York City where paper can now be recycled and so returned to the elements.
Callenbach would have appreciated that. After all, his novel, about how Washington, Oregon, and Northern California seceded from the union in 1979 in the midst of a terrible economic crisis, creating an environmentally sound, stable-state, eco-sustainable country, hasn’t stumbled at all. It’s we who have stumbled. His vision of a land that banned the internal combustion engine and the car culture that went with it, turned in oil for solar power (and other inventive forms of alternative energy), recycled everything, grew its food locally and cleanly, and in the process created clean skies, rivers, and forests (as well as a host of new relationships, political, social, and sexual) remains amazingly lively, and somehow almost imaginable -- an approximation, that is, of the country we don’t have but should or even could have.
Callenbach’s imagination was prodigious. Back in 1975, he conjured up something like C-SPAN and something like the cell phone, among many ingenious inventions on the page. Ecotopia remains a thoroughly winning book and a remarkable feat of the imagination, even if, in the present American context, the author also dreamed of certain things that do now seem painfully utopian, like a society with relative income equality.
“Chick” -- as he was known, thanks, it turns out, to the chickens his father raised in Appalachian central Pennsylvania in his childhood -- was, like me, an editor all his life. He founded the prestigious magazine Film Quarterly in 1958. In the late 1970s, I worked with him and his wife, Christine Leefeldt, on a book of theirs, The Art of Friendship. He also wrote a successor volume to Ecotopia (even if billed as a prequel), Ecotopia Emerging. And as he points out in his last piece, today’s TomDispatch post, he, too, has now been recycled. He died of cancer on April 16th at the age of 83.
Just days later, his long-time literary agent Richard Kahlenberg wrote me that Chick had left a final document on his computer, something he had been preparing in the months before he knew he would die, and asked if TomDispatch would run it. Indeed, we would. It’s not often that you hear words almost literally from beyond the grave -- and eloquent ones at that, calling on all Ecotopians, converted or prospective, to consider the dark times ahead. Losing Chick’s voice and his presence is saddening. His words remain, however, as do his books, as does the possibility of some version of the better world he once imagined for us all. Tom Please read this amazing letter "Epistle to the Ecotopians" by Ernest Callenbach. You may also enjoy another of his books "Living Poor With Style" Of course the Beltway Bubalas are navel-gazing at most of this on Sunday. Look for the Cage Match bout with NANCY PELOSI and JOHN "Crybaby" BOEHNER on This Snufagopolis while Boehner sneaks away to Face the Bob to hook up with LINDSAY GRAHAM who tries to battle MARK WARNER. ALAN GOOLSBEE goes into The Cage with PAUL "Austerity" RYAN on FAKE SNOOZE while DICK DURBIN mocks Ryan on Meet the David who also gets MADALEINE "the price is worth it" ALBRIGHT. State of the Candy goes with another Cage Match featuring DAVID AXELROD and RIENCE PRIEBUS. Best bet is 60 Minutes with Pink Floyd's ROGER WATERS! Good item! Lots to cover in the BTV alerts especially Amy Goodman's interviews with NOAM CHOMSKY, WILLIAM BLACK and CHRIS HEDGES. Also check out PBC with THOMAS FRANK and CARL MAYER plus Sam interviews MATT TAIBBI and CLIFF SCHECTER who's also on Ring of Fire. Max is Max and don't miss AntiWarRadio with The Other SCOTT HORTON, PHILLIP GERALDI and a great interview with FRANCIS BOYLE about the Bu$h Cabal's war crimes. Check out all those links down there too! Great reading! The Brick TeeVee Crew has been getting some Spring Cleaning done around the compound and are looking forward to Memorial Day weekend. Next week's post may be a bit abbreviated as we'll be out and about for the holiday. We may even post a day earlier! Enjoy yourselves this week and we'll catch up with you next weekend! Occupy somewhere!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
Monday, May 14, 2012
- NOAM CHOMSKY @ Democracy NOW! Today we spend the hour with world-renowned political dissident, linguist, author, Noam Chomsky.
- Bill Black @ Democracy NOW! Crony Capitalism: After Lobbying Against New Financial Regulations, JPMorgan Loses $2B in Risky Bet AND Ex-Financial Regulator William Black: Austerity is Sinking Economies from Europe to U.S.
- Dr. Nabeel Hameed, neurosurgeon at Salmaniya Hospital in Manama @ Democracy NOW! As Obama OKs Weapons to Bahrain, Neurosurgeon Tortured by Regime Faces Trial for Treating Protesters
- David Bronner @ Democracy NOW! "Magic Soap" Maker David Bronner on Labeling Genetically Modified Food, Fair Trade, the War on Hemp
- Bill Ayers & Bernardine Dohrn @ Democracy NOW! As NATO Meets in Chicago, Bill Ayers & Bernardine Dohrn Condemn "Militarized Arm of the 1 Percent"
- Aaron Hughes, field organizer for Iraq Veterans Against the War @ Democracy NOW! "What Have We Been Doing?": Decorated Veteran Aaron Hughes to Return War Medals at Anti-NATO Protest
- Carlos Montes, longtime civil rights activist @ Democracy NOW! FBI Crackdown on Antiwar Groups Targets Chicano, Brown Beret Activist Carlos Montes
- Chris Hedges and his attorney Bruce Afran @ Democracy NOW! Journalist, Plaintiff Chris Hedges Hails "Monumental" Ruling Blocking NDAA Indefinite Detention
- Paul Krugman @ Democracy NOW! "End This Depression Now": Paul Krugman Urges Public Spending, Not Deficit Hysteria, to Save Economy AND Krugman: Jamie Dimon Should Resign over JPMorgan’s $3B Lost Bet and Campaign Against Financial Regs PLUS Paul Krugman on Eurozone: "The Whole Thing Could Fall Apart in a Matter of Months" AND Paul Krugman: Debt Commission Chair Alan Simpson is Wrong to Call For Greater Austerity, Budget Cuts
- Raymond Offenheiser, President of Oxfam America & Dr. Margaret Flowers @ Democracy NOW! Occupy G8: Peoples’ Summit Confronts World Leaders at Camp David, Urging Action on Poverty, Hunger
- Trayvon Martin Update @ Democracy NOW! "I Know He Was Scared": Trayvon Martin’s Girlfriend Recounts Phone Call Right Before Fatal Shooting AND Ben Jealous: "Heartbreaking" Trayvon Tapes Capture Experience of Millions Racially Profiled in U.S.
- Benjamin Jealous, President and CEO of NAACP @ Democracy NOW! "The Worst Racial Profiling Program in the Country": NAACP President on NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Program AND All-White Jury Acquits Houston Ex-Police Officer in Videotaped Beating of Black Teen Chad Holley
- Dana Frank, Professor of History at the University of California, Santa Cruz @ Democracy NOW! U.S. Secret Drug War in Honduras: Botched DEA Raid Leaves 2 Pregnant Women, 2 Men Dead
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW Chatting With Chomsky Noam Chomsky has not just been watching the Occupy movement. A veteran of the civil rights, anti-war, and anti-intervention movements of the 1960s through the 1980s, he’s given lectures at Occupy Boston and talked with occupiers across the US. A new publication from the Occupied Media Pamphlet Series brings together several of those lectures, a speech on “occupying foreign policy” and a brief tribute to his friend and co-agitator Howard Zinn. From his speeches, and in this conversation, it’s clear that the emeritus MIT professor and author is as impressed by the spontaneous, cooperative communities some Occupy encampments created, as he is by the movement’s political impact. We are a nation whose leaders are pursuing policies that amount to “suicide” Chomsky says. But there are glimmers of possibility – in worker co-operatives, and other spaces where people get a taste of a different way of living. We talked in his office, for Free Speech TV on April 24.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» INDIANAPOLIS 500 Bump Day! On the Pole for the 96th Running of the 500 is Ryan Briscoe whose four-lap time of 2 minutes, 38.9514 seconds (average speed of 226.484 mph) in the 90-minute shootout for the top nine qualifiers bested the time of 2:38.9537 (226.481) posted by James Hinchcliffe. Bump Day coverage on Sunday on SPEED and ESPN and ABC we think. Check your local listings!
»»» MLB Sunday TBS Interleague Play! Red Sox @ Phillies 1:35 pm et
»»» MLB Sunday Night ESPN Cardinals @ Dodgers 8 pm et
»»» MLB Wednesday Night ESPN Nationals @ Phillies 7 pm et
»»» NBA PLAYOFFS ABC has Game 4 Heat @ Pacers Game 4 at 3:30 pm et then TNT has Spurs @ Clippers Game 4 at 10:30 pm et. Check your local listings for more games all week on ESPN, TNT and NBA TV!
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
- Please SIGN THE PETITION in support of the "99%'s Deficit Proposal" and plan direct actions to tell the Super Committee that the 99% have better solutions to our nation's crises. You can plan your own action at your Congressmember's office or join us in Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC for marches to Capitol Hill. Check our calendar for announcements.
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.org A Push for Privacy in the Wake of the Carrier IQ Controversy Remember Carrier IQ, the company that makes the secret spying software that’s installed on more than 140 million phones? You know, the software that can record our most sensitive personal data? ... Thanks in part to the 22,000 people who joined Free Press’ call for a congressional investigation, some of those questions are closer to being answered and mobile users are closer to being protected. The protection comes in the form of a bill from Massachusetts Rep. Ed Markey. Markey released a draft of a bill called the "Mobile Device Privacy Act" that would require phone companies to disclose to users just what is being done with all of their data. If the bill passes, an opt-out provision would go into effect a year later and would require companies to allow users to opt out of data-collection schemes like the one developed by Carrier IQ........
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net And Alan Grayson is running again in FL-8! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network
UPDATE! Michael Ratner on ANTIWAR RADIO Michael Ratner May 2, 2012: Michael Ratner, President Emeritus of the Center for Constitutional Rights, discusses his article “Bradley Manning: a show trial of state secrecy;” Manning’s quasi-public trial (which is open to observation, yet vital evidence and court documents are withheld from the media and public); why the NY Times is just as guilty of “aiding the enemy” as Manning and WikiLeaks; how President Obama and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta made a fair trial impossible; and how you can support Bradley Manning in his time of need.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATIONHelp save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012
AFGHANISTAN: 1,974 US Military Dead as of May 18, 2012
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) anchor George Stephanopoulos
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• House Speaker John Boehner
• Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi
• ROUNDTABLE: George Will, political strategist and ABC News contributor Donna Brazile, political strategist and ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd, radio host Laura Ingraham, and California Lieutenant Governor and Current TV host Gavin Newsom.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio
• Senate Budget Committee member Lindsey Graham, R-S.C..
• Senate Budget Committee member Mark Warner, D-Va.
• New York Times Columnist Tom Friedman
• CBS News Correspondent Clarissa Ward
• ROUNDTABLE: Chief White House correspondent Norah O'Donnell and Political Director John Dickerson
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Dropping Out - A billionaire's program to pay students with promising ideas to drop out of college is attracting students and critics. Internet business pioneer Peter Thiel thinks his program is a viable alternative to what he sees as a costly and ineffective university system. Morley Safer reports. Katy Textor is the producer.
• Roger Waters - Pink Floyd's creative force is still performing the rock opera "The Wall" to sold-out stadiums around the world. Steve Kroft catches up with the rock legend. Michael Karzis and James Jacoby are the producers.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• Assistant Majority Leader, Dick Durbin (D-IL)
• House Budget Chair Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)
• Former US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
• ROUNDTABLE: Mayor of Newark, NJ, Cory Booker (D), Republican strategist Mike Murphy, CNBC's Jim Cramer, and the Wall Street Journal's Kim Strassel
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Obama Campaign Senior Adviser David Axelrod
• Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus
• Jeff Zeleny of the New York Times
• CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash
• NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• LIVE SHOW THURSDAY!!!!! Bob The Activist returns to the microphone, fresh from his trip to Boston and the BofA Shareholders Meeting in Charlotte! Bob's FHA is amazing! Listen HERE (mp3) NOW! Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - May 17, 2012 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: House GOP attacks America's clean energy industry --- again; Solar becoming cheaper than coal --- finally; Coal industry panicking --- naturally; Americans willing to pay more for clean energy, as long as it's not nuclear; PLUS: Australians are hot --- the hottest they've been in a thousand years ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): New GA nukes: $900m over-budget; Toxins in US breast milk?; US imposes tariffs on Chinese solar; New efficiency standards for major household appliances; Insecticide resistance threatens malaria fight; NRC pares back evacuations, disaster drills near nuclear plants; Rifts at UN climate talks in Bonn ... PLUS: 5 Things You Should Know About Clean Energy Investments ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADCAST! KPFK BradCast: Massive GOP Voter Reg Fraud; Fukushima's 'Ticking Time-Bomb' Sacramento Registrar of Voters Jill Lavine joins Brad to discuss thousands of invalid registrations turned in by GOP firm; Brad Jacobson on his startling Fukushima report...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE: Appellate Court Refuses to Block Ruling That Electioneering Non-Profits Must Disclose Donors The mainstream corporate media spend a lot of time telling you about crap that doesn't matter. Then there's the stuff that does matter which you hardly hear about at all. This is one of those stories. Hugely important, yet, almost inexplicably, barely reported on.
• Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Now up to 9,200+ Election Protection posts! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC Standard Podcast May 17, 2012 Breaking! Exclooosive: Federal Judge Puts Worst Section of NDAA on Hold, We Get Detailed Comments from Attorney Carl Mayer In a surprising and remarkable decision, a federal judge in NYC has granted an injunction on Section 1021 of the National Defense Authorization Act. Attorney Carl Mayer returns for a victory lap.
• PBC Standard Podcast May 18, 2012 Special Coverage: Presbyterian Council Refuses to Rebuke Rev. Jane Spahr for Officiating at Same Sex Weddings Rev. Jane Spahr returns to our program, facing a formal “rebuke” by the Presbyterian Church for conducting lesbian and gay weddings. The regional council, or presbytery, refused to rebuke her, in conflict with church rules.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! May 18, 2012
• Best-selling author and consultant Cliff Schecter will be here to tell us about the upcoming onslaught of negative ads that conservative Super PACs are planning against President Obama.
• Attorney James Kauffman will tell us how the Republicans are trying to convince us that if we aren’t nice to the rich people, they’ll leave America.
• Journalist Josh Eidelson will be here to tell us why Republican politicians are now trying to distance themselves from Scott Walker.
• And attorney Jim Magazine will tell us about the predatory lending practices of the student loan industry, and why the federal government has finally decided to take legal action against them.
• VIDEO! RFK, Jr: How To Save American Democracy Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. gives a speech to a crowd at Mass Torts Made Perfect about how to save our Democracy from Republicans, the Tea Party, and corporate raiders.
• VIDEO! Papantonio Hammers Heidi Harris on Corporate Welfare Mike Papantonio appears on Politics Nation with host Rev. Al Sharpton opposite Republican talker Heidi Harris to discuss the tax evasion tactics of Republicans and corporations, and he also defends those on welfare from Heidi’s attack on the “dead weight” welfare recipients.
• Support Those Who Support Progressive Media! 2011 has certainly been a great year for Ring of Fire, and we’ve had some great sponsors that have helped support the show throughout the year. We wanted to take the time to personally thank each and every one of them, and we encourage all of our listeners to take the time to support those who have support us.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 8-11 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• May 14 2012 Too Big Fail, Psychopaths Roam Wall Street & More
• May 15 2012 Matt Taibbi on JPM & NATO Protest Preview
• May 16 2012 Joel Rubin, Israel and the Iranian Nuke Negotiations
• May 17 2012 Alec Loorz, 17, Sues US Govt. for Global Warming
• May 18 2012 Casual Friday! Cliff Schecter, Weekly Wrap Up & Jon Benjamin, Movies
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityreport.official.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• NEW! MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV PLUS here is Max Keiser’s official Facebook page And here is the official Keiser Report page
• MUST READ BLOCKBUSTER REPORT FROM TERI BUHL ON WHY JP MORGAN’S PROBLEMS ARE JUST BEGINNING by maxkeiser READ SEC Tells JP Morgan Enforcement Action Coming over Bear’s Mortgage Backed Securities Violations
• LOVE IT! (bye-bye Jamie) by maxkeiser READ Backwardation In Gold And Silver AND Gold Tells The Truth (zerohedge)
• VIDEO! Cant Pay Wont Pay! Solidarity with the People of Greece – Fourman Films by maxkeiser
• KEISER REPORT [KR288] Keiser Report: Countdown to Armageddon We have a field day dissecting Jamie Dimon’s ‘egregious, terrible mistake,’ the possible insider trading around those so-called mistake and what the Leveson Inquiry may tell us about the SEC’s Mary Schapiro’s ‘focus’ on these oh so egregious mistakes.
• KEISER REPORT [KR289] Keiser Report: Debt-a-holic Zombies We discuss the Devil’s Breath of too much debt and JP Morgan’s black and blue dementia. In the second half of the show Max talks to Mike Maloney about gold, silver and Hollywood accounting.
• KEISER REPORT [KR290] Keiser Report: Guernica of Financial WarWe discuss the Guernica of the financial war and the ‘eternity’ of 100 microseconds. In the second half of the show Max talks to artist, Alex Schaefer, about burning Chase, dangerous derivatives and paper dollars.
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Gregor Macdonald We interview Gregor Macdonald.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-359] Truth About Debtflation Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Philip Giraldi May 8, 2012: Former CIA officer Philip Giraldi discusses his article “Iran’s Tactical Strength;” the conclusion of US war simulations studying Iran’s likely retaliation to an Israeli air strike; why the media and government officials from the US and Israel are suddenly less hawkish on Iran; the decade-long scare campaign that Hezbollah sleeper cells are all over the Western Hemisphere; the unlikely story of the CIA capturing explosives-ready underwear in Yemen, which supposedly prevented a terrorist attack; the US government’s contradictory claims that Al Qaeda is decimated, yet also a rapidly expanding threat justifying more foreign interventions; and why the events of 9/11 deserve a complete reexamination.
• Cora Currier May 14, 2012: Journalist Cora Currier discusses her article “Timeline: How Obama Compares to Bush on Torture, Surveillance and Detention ;” the government’s claim that there is oversight for the unprecedented expansion of executive power (it just can’t be verified because of state secrets); Obama’s duplicity on telecom immunity and his broken promise to prosecute the “warrantless wiretapping” Bush administration officials; evidence that CIA black sites are not actually closed; continuing proxy-torture with extraordinary renditions; and Obama’s legal case for drones strikes and assassinating US citizens.
• The Other Scott Horton May 17, 2012: The Other Scott Horton (no relation), international human rights lawyer and contributing editor at Harper’s magazine, discusses his article “Yoo, Latif, and the Rise of Secret Justice;” the Ninth Circuit Court’s legally indefensible ruling that John Yoo is immune to Jose Padilla’s torture lawsuit because, at the time, torture was a confused legal issue; “torture memo” co-author Jay Bybee’s convenient new gig as a Ninth Circuit Court judge; why Italian prosecutors wish John Yoo would resume vacationing in Italy; the DC Circuit Court’s steadfast belief in secret and self-contradicting government evidence against ten-year Guantanamo inmate Adnan Latif; and how Republican judges are making radical changes in the rule of law to get their buddies off the hook.
• Francis Boyle May 17, 2012: Francis A. Boyle, Professor at the University of Illinois College of Law, discusses the conviction of former President Bush, Dick Cheney and six members of the administration for war crimes (in absentia, in a Malaysian court); why the “torture memos,” concocted by John Yoo and Jay Bybee, amount to criminal conspiracy and can’t be excused as legal counsel; the Ninth Circuit Court’s questionable rejection of Jose Padilla’s torture suit against Yoo; evidence that the Obama administration hasn’t closed the secret prisons or stopped torture; and Boyle’s pending case in the International Criminal Court against the Bush administration’s primary actors.
• Reza Marashi May 18, 2012: Reza Marashi, Research Director for the National Iranian American Council, discusses the Wall Street Journal’s announcement that the MEK will soon shed its “terrorist group” status in the US; the State Department’s de-listing evaluation process, which requires that the MEK publicly renounce violence and disarm; how the Bush Administration used Saddam Hussein’s hosting of terrorist groups, especially the MEK, to justify the Iraq War in 2003; the foreign and domestic opponents to friendly US-Iran relations; and how business interests can open borders even when political forces conspire to close them.
• Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Republican Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan
• one of President Obama’s top economic surrogates Austan Goolsbee
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml