Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!!
Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Memorial Day 2012 Propaganda R US? If you haven't seen this yet where ya been? Michael Hastings reports for BuzzFeed.com Congressmen Seek To Lift Propaganda Ban An amendment that would legalize the use of propaganda on American audiences is being inserted into the latest defense authorization bill, BuzzFeed has learned.
The amendment would “strike the current ban on domestic dissemination” of propaganda material produced by the State Department and the Pentagon, according to the summary of the law at the House Rules Committee's official website.
The tweak to the bill would essentially neutralize two previous acts—the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948 and Foreign Relations Authorization Act in 1987—that had been passed to protect U.S. audiences from our own government’s misinformation campaigns.
The bi-partisan amendment is sponsored by Rep. Mac Thornberry from Texas and Rep. Adam Smith from Washington State. In a little noticed press release earlier in the week — buried beneath the other high-profile issues in the $642 billion defense bill, including indefinite detention and a prohibition on gay marriage at military installations — Thornberry warned that in the Internet age, the current law “ties the hands of America’s diplomatic officials, military, and others by inhibiting our ability to effectively communicate in a credible way.” Let's parse that last sentence: "effectively communicate" in this context means "Brainwash"; "credible way" means using those same Beltway Bubalas we see on the cable news and Sunday Talking Heads who to the uninitiated are so-called "trusted" news anchors, pundits and poobahs. That's it in a nutshell but you really need to go over to Washington's Blog for much much more! See Bipartisan Congressional Bill Would Authorize the Use of Propaganda On Americans Living Inside America for all the creepy details and recent history of propaganda in the U.S. - lots and lots to click so spend lots of time there! Executive Director Andrew Kreig of the Justice Integrity Project writes at OpEdNews.com Alabama Judicial Scandal Could Taint Many Cases, Not Just Siegelman's An Alabama newspaper exposed a scandal May 16 that deserves national prominence that will not occur without you as participants in the alternative and social media. The headline was "Federal judge's lengthy affair with court worker is exposed." This is a scandal not simply for the judge, Mark Everett Fuller, shown above in a photo by my research colleague Phil Fleming. It is a lifetime shame for those in the Justice Department, federal court system and the United States Senate who have coddled and protected him for an entire decade during his obvious previous disgraces. .... A corrupt federal judge is in position to create vast harm in both civil and criminal cases, especially when he controls the court administrative system, as Fuller did during a seven-year term from 2004 to 2011 as chief judge for Alabama's most important federal district. This is the middle district surrounding the capital city of Montgomery.
Let's start with this week's disclosures and then get to the implications. .... Click over for all the sordid details. Adds Kreig The Alabama newspaper publisher Martin says he distributed his column May 16 to his syndicate of 25 newspapers. But Google searches more than a day later indicate only slight pick-up of the story aside from a few web and social media sites. Therefore, if the public is going to know about this new scandal regarding Fuller it needs to be via the independent electronic media, as so often in the past in the Siegelman case. OpEd News readers are well-informed on the background of the case, which I have summarized in the lead-story on my Justice Integrity Project website.
NATO MEETINGS CONTINUE Good thing the NATO bigwigs had all their stormtroopers around to keep the riff-raff away while they continue to plot and scheme more wars errrrr ummm "peace-keeping actions". The CommonDreams Staff notes Drones of Its Own: NATO Signs Deal with Northrup Grumman for 'Global Surveillance Capabilities' Part of its 'Allied Ground Surveillance' system, the five Global Hawk UAVs will cost $1.7 Billion. Then Gary Younge observes Nato talks security and peace, Chicago has neither in the Guardian .... When the city mayor Rahm Emanuel brought the summit to Chicago he boasted: "From a city perspective this will be an opportunity to showcase what is great about the greatest city in the greatest country." The alternative "99% tour" of the city, organised by the Grassroots Collaborative that came to Brighton Park, revealed how utterly those who claim to export peace and prosperity abroad have failed to provide it at home. The murder rate in Chicago in the first three months of this year increased by more than 50% compared with the same period last year, giving it almost twice the murder rate of New York. And the manner in which the city is policed gives many as great a reason to fear those charged with protecting them as the criminals. By the end of July last year police were shooting people at the rate of six a month and killing one person a fortnight. This violence, be it at the hands of the state or gangs, is both compounded and underpinned by racial and economic disadvantage. The poorer the neighbourhood the more violent, the wealthier the safer. This is no coincidence. Much like the Nato summit – and the G8 summit that preceded it – the system is set up not to spread wealth but to preserve and protect it, not to relieve chaos but to contain and punish it. Nato is not an impartial arbiter in this state of affairs but the military wing of a political and economic project that makes it possible. Neoliberal globalisation, and the inequities that come with it, cannot exist without force or the threat of it. ...... Chicago illustrates how the developing world is everywhere, not least in the heart of the developed. The mortality rate for black infants in the city is on a par with the West Bank; black life expectancy in Illinois is just below Egypt and just above Uzbekistan. More than a quarter of Chicagoans have no health insurance, one in five black male Chicagoans are unemployed and one in three live in poverty. Latinos do not fare much better. Chicago may be extreme in this regard, but it is by no means unique..... Speaking of the G8 Boris Johnson at the Telegraph UK has been covering the overshadowed G8 meeting at Camp David and says Europe is driving full-tilt, foot on the pedal, into a brick wall I see the G8 has a brilliant solution to the problems of the eurozone. President Obama says it’s time for “growth and jobs”. Jolly good. That’s the stuff. Let me show you how to create employment – the Brussels way.
Come with me through the streets of Athens, not far from Syntagma Square, and your mind will reel with the horrified realisation that history is not a one-way ratchet, that human progress is not guaranteed, and that a proud country can be reduced – by years of torture and bullying – to a state verging on total political, economic and moral collapse. You will see businesses boarded up and windows smashed because no one has the money or the energy to fix them, and on almost every wall a riot of graffiti full of poisonous hatred for politicians. You will see people sitting on cardboard, heads down, hands out, or pushing trolleys full of scrap metal. ..... Unemployment is rising by the day, and among young people it now stands at a shameful 54 per cent. Yup, folks – those are the results of an EU plan to produce “growth and jobs”. It was called the euro, and it has been a catastrophe for Greece and pretty bad (with one notable exception) for the rest of the continent. As far as I can understand the “strategy” of the EU, it is now to prepare for Greece to leave the single currency. Not that the Greeks themselves are anything like psychologically ready to quit: the politicians are punch-drunk, exhausted, and appalled at the loss of face and loss of security that would go with a sundering from “Europe”. Most voters choose pro-euro parties. But money is being withdrawn from banks; events are gathering momentum; and it is clear from their remarks that other EU leaders are getting ready for an outcome which until recently was held to be impolite to mention: the Grexit. And then what? And then the strategy would appear to be to cauterise the amputation; to circle the wagons; to issue the most ringing and convincing proclamation to the markets that no more depredations will be tolerated; and to get the Germans to stump up, big time, to protect Spain and Portugal. We are told that the only solution now is a Fiscal Union (or FU). We must have “more Europe”, say our leaders, not less Europe – even though more Europe means more suffering, and a refusal to recognise what has gone wrong in Greece.
The euro has turned out to be a doomsday machine, a destroyer of jobs, a killer of growth, because it entrenches and exacerbates the fundamental and historic inability of some countries to compete with Germany in making high-quality goods with low-unit labour costs. .... Alas, it is not a strategy that is likely to work. .....And it is not as if the markets will believe in these “firewalls”, or not for very long. If they can prise away Greece, they will know they can prise away others. As long as the euro can break up, there is always a risk that it will break up. So it is frankly unbelievable that we should now be urging our neighbours to go for fiscal union. It is like seeing a driver heading full-tilt for a brick wall, and then telling them to hit the accelerator rather than the brake.....
OWS IN CHICAGO Washington's Blog discusses how Chicago Police Beat NATO Protesters with Batons, Arrest Other Protesters Who Were in Possession of … Beer-Making Equipment
Here are a few live tweets from the Occupy NATO last weekend:
- Jamie Kilstein@jamiekilstein
ABC claiming Black Block did damage at old navy. I was there. The only damage was cops beating me and protesters. #nonato
ABC reporter says protesters came "armed with sticks". You are a fucking idiot. #nonato
Retweeted by Asher Wolf
- Two marches just met, Crowds rejoice with excitement. Despite the rain, this seems like a second wave! #OWS #NoNATO
- 3m Liz Jones Liz Jones@LIZart11
When you unleash the violence, we see your end game. We are better than that and everyone can see it now. #nonato #anon
- Michael Prysner@MikePrysner
LET THE HISTORY BOOKS SHOW: AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL BOUGHT PRO-NATO, PRO-AFGHANISTAN WAR ADS TO COVER CHICAGO DURING #NATO SUMMIT. @AMNESTY
- Washington D.C. (May 21, 2012) – Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) today released the following statement as world leaders meet in Chicago for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit.
“The North Atlantic Treaty Organization is not a benevolent organization. NATO is not about the North Atlantic and it’s not about our collective defense.
“NATO is a cost-sharing organization that finances aggressive military action. By hiding behind the claim that the organization provides for ‘common defense,’ NATO allows us to wage wars of choice under the guise of international peacekeeping. The most recent example was the unconstitutional war in Libya where NATO, operating under a United Nations mandate to protect civilians, instead backed one side in a civil war and pursued a policy of regime change.
“Today, NATO leaders are meeting in Chicago to discuss the future of Afghanistan. The talks are being billed as discussions of plans to end the war. The war in Afghanistan is not ending. These talks are simply about financing the next phase of the war.
“The Strategic Partnership Agreement between the U.S. and Afghanistan commits us to the country for at least another decade, despite public support for the war being at an all time low. The United States will pay for half of the estimated $4.1 billion per year cost of supporting 352,000 Afghan army and police officers. Afghanistan’s contribution will be $500,000. The rest will be financed by our ‘NATO partners.’ It is not surprising that support for the war among NATO members is waning, with France threatening to pull out its troops by the end of this year.
“Our participation in NATO comes at a great financial cost to the U.S. We contribute the majority of funds for NATO’s common budget, including 25% of the military budget. Between fiscal years 2010 and 2012 alone, we contributed more than $1.3 billion to NATO’s military budget. We also incur significant costs through the deployment of our forces in support of NATO missions. According to The Atlantic, the war in Libya cost the United States $1.1 billion.
“NATO was originally founded to provide a strategic counterbalance to the Soviet Union. Its founding purpose no longer exists, but NATO continues to circumvent the authority of the United Nations and to provoke other nations. NATO is an anachronism. Instead of trying to bolster the organization, we should begin serious discussions to dismantle it.”
Monday, May 21, 2012
- OCCUPY NATO @ Democracy NOW! Comprehesive coverage of the protests in Chicago including Jesse Jackson, Tom Morello and Scott Olsen. Watch the whole show!
- Phyllis Bennis vs. Ex-CIAer Stan Sloan @ Democracy NOW! Should NATO Exist? Phyllis Bennis vs. Ex-CIAer Stan Sloan on Alliance’s Purpose, Afghan War’s Future
- Sarah Gelsomino, attorney with the People’s Law Office and the National Lawyers Guild @ Democracy NOW! Attorney: "NATO 3" Activists Detained on Terror Charges in Chicago Are Victims of Police Entrapment
- Paul Watson @ Democracy NOW! Sea Shepherd Founder Paul Watson Fights Extradition to Costa Rica for 2002 Shark Defense
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous @ Democracy NOW! Egypt Votes: Sharif Abdel Kouddous Reports from Cairo on Historic Post-Mubarak Election
- Peter Edelman, professor at Georgetown University Law Center, top adviser to Senator Robert F. Kennedy and also a member of President Bill Clinton’s administration until he resigned in protest after Clinton signed the 1996 welfare reform legislation @ Democracy NOW! "So Rich, So Poor": Peter Edelman on Ending U.S. Poverty & Why He Left Clinton Admin over Welfare Law
- Marcy Wheeler of EmptyWheel.net @ Democracy NOW! With Control of Drone Strikes, Is Counterterror Chief John Brennan the U.S. "Assassination Czar"?
- Michelle Richardson, legislative counsel for the ACLU & William Binney @ Democracy NOW! Senate Advances Expanded, "Orwellian" Gov’t Surveillance with FISA Amendments, CISPA
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous @ Democracy NOW! Egyptian Voters on the Promise, and Limits, of Historic Election: Sharif Kouddous Reports from Cairo
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous @ Democracy NOW! Egypt Election: Muslim Brotherhood Candidate Could Face Mubarak’s Ex-Prime Minister in Runoff
- Gadeir Abbas, staff attorney for the Council on American-Islamic Relations @ Democracy NOW! As New Jersey OKs NYPD Surveillance, Muslim Groups Continue Challenge to "Unconstitutional" Program
- Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, the spokesperson for CLASSE & Anna Kruzynski, assistant professor at the School of Community and Public Affairs, Concordia University in Montreal @ Democracy NOW! Maple Spring: Nearly 1,000 Arrested as Mass Quebec Student Strike Passes 100th Day
- Daniel Denvir, reporter at the Philadelphia City Paper @ Democracy NOW! "Who’s Killing Philly Public Schools?": Daniel Denvir on Plan for School Closings, Privatization
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW Chatting With Chomsky Noam Chomsky has not just been watching the Occupy movement. A veteran of the civil rights, anti-war, and anti-intervention movements of the 1960s through the 1980s, he’s given lectures at Occupy Boston and talked with occupiers across the US. A new publication from the Occupied Media Pamphlet Series brings together several of those lectures, a speech on “occupying foreign policy” and a brief tribute to his friend and co-agitator Howard Zinn. From his speeches, and in this conversation, it’s clear that the emeritus MIT professor and author is as impressed by the spontaneous, cooperative communities some Occupy encampments created, as he is by the movement’s political impact. We are a nation whose leaders are pursuing policies that amount to “suicide” Chomsky says. But there are glimmers of possibility – in worker co-operatives, and other spaces where people get a taste of a different way of living. We talked in his office, for Free Speech TV on April 24.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» INDIANAPOLIS 500 It's the 96th Running of the 500 with Ryan Briscoe on the pole! Coverage begins at 12 NOON et
»»» MLB Sunday TBS Rays @ Red Sox 1:35 pm et
»»» MLB Sunday Night ESPN Nationals @ Braves 8 pm et
»»» MLB Tuesday Night ESPN Tigers @ Red Sox 7 pm et
»»» MLB Wednesday Night ESPN Yankees @ Angels 7 pm et
»»» NBA PLAYOFFS TNT Sunday Thunder @ Spurs 8:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
- Please SIGN THE PETITION in support of the "99%'s Deficit Proposal" and plan direct actions to tell the Super Committee that the 99% have better solutions to our nation's crises. You can plan your own action at your Congressmember's office or join us in Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC for marches to Capitol Hill. Check our calendar for announcements.
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.org A Push for Privacy in the Wake of the Carrier IQ Controversy Remember Carrier IQ, the company that makes the secret spying software that’s installed on more than 140 million phones? You know, the software that can record our most sensitive personal data? ... Thanks in part to the 22,000 people who joined Free Press’ call for a congressional investigation, some of those questions are closer to being answered and mobile users are closer to being protected. The protection comes in the form of a bill from Massachusetts Rep. Ed Markey. Markey released a draft of a bill called the "Mobile Device Privacy Act" that would require phone companies to disclose to users just what is being done with all of their data. If the bill passes, an opt-out provision would go into effect a year later and would require companies to allow users to opt out of data-collection schemes like the one developed by Carrier IQ........
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net And Alan Grayson is running again in FL-8! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network
UPDATE! Michael Ratner on ANTIWAR RADIO Michael Ratner May 2, 2012: Michael Ratner, President Emeritus of the Center for Constitutional Rights, discusses his article “Bradley Manning: a show trial of state secrecy;” Manning’s quasi-public trial (which is open to observation, yet vital evidence and court documents are withheld from the media and public); why the NY Times is just as guilty of “aiding the enemy” as Manning and WikiLeaks; how President Obama and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta made a fair trial impossible; and how you can support Bradley Manning in his time of need.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATIONHelp save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012
AFGHANISTAN: 1,982 US Military Dead as of May 25, 2012
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) anchor George Stephanopoulos with Jake Tapper subbing
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• Defense Secretary Leon Panetta
• ROUNDTABLE: George Will, former Michigan governor and host of Current TV's "The War Room" Jennifer Granholm, Fox Business Network anchor Liz Claman, Washington Post national political reporter Nia-Malika Henderson, and National Journal editorial director Ron Brownstein.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Robert Gibbs, a senior adviser to the Obama campaign
• Ed Gillespie, a senior adviser to the Romney campaign
• Senate Budget Committee member Mark Warner, D-Va.
• New York Times Columnist Tom Friedman
• Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind.
• PANEL OF AUTHORS: Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy, Robert Merry, Douglas Brinkley
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Never Seen The Like - After many requests for help from his ambushed unit were denied, Dakota Meyer took matters into his own hands, going through a gauntlet of Taliban fire five times to try and to save his trapped comrades. His efforts earned him the Medal of Honor. David Martin reports. Mary Walsh and Tadd Lascari are the producers.
• Operation Proper Exit - This unique program takes wounded warriors back to the battlefield in an effort to provide closure that often leads to better lives for these veterans and their families. Scott Pelley reports. Henry Schuster is the producer.
• Marine Brothers - Lara Logan reports on five sets of brothers in the Marine Reserves who fought for the right to be on the front lines of combat in Afghanistan with their siblings. Tom Anderson is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• Chairman of the Democratic Governors Association Gov. Martin O’Malley (D-MD)
• former Republican Presidential Candidate Newt Gingrich
• best-selling author and award-winning journalist, Maria Shriver
• best-selling author Michael Lewis
• ROUNDTABLE: Mayor of Los Angeles and Chairman of the 2012 Democratic National Convention, Antonio Villaraigosa; Vice Chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee and former head of Hewlett-Packard, Carly Fiorina; author of the new book "Our Divided Political Heart," the Washington Post's EJ Dionne; and from the New York Times, David Brooks.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Former Republican Presidential Candidate Rudy Giuliani
• DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz
• General Peter Chiarelli (ret.), Fmr. vice chief of staff of the U.S. Army
• Senator Patty Murray, chairwoman of the Veterans Affairs Committee
• Tim Tetz, Legislative Director of the American Legion
• Paul Rieckhoff, Founder and Executive Director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• LIVE SHOW MONDAY!!!!! Bob The Activist is on his way to Europe to occupy European banks who fund coal worldwide! Go Bob! Meanwhile catch Monday's live show! Listen HERE (mp3) NOW! Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - We'll Back June 7th! The Green News Report was scheduled to stand down for a few episodes beginning during Memorial Day Week next week, but my cold (the one you may have noticed in Tuesday's report) has gotten a bit worse. Actually, I feel fine, but my voice has another idea entirely. So we're going to duck out a bit earlier than planned, since we're on the road this week anyway and it makes life, and healing, a bit easier before the holiday. Brad and I will return with the Green News Report on its usual twice-weekly schedule beginning Thursday, June 7th! "See ya" then!
• 'Green News Report' - May 22, 2012 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Republicans collect another Obama Admin scalp as NRC chair steps down; More bad news for climate change-denying Heartland Institute: Corporate funders flee, Climate expert cleared of 'forgery' allegations; Robot fish! Yep, robot fish; PLUS: Remembering the Joplin tornado, and the ongoing toll of extreme weather disasters... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): VT becomes 1st state to ban fracking; Camp LeJeune Marines could vanquish breast cancer; El Nino, more heatwaves on the way?; Improving US climate science education; Clear Channel rejects climate science billboard; TX renewable power generation jumps; Canada: Valdez-type spill inevitable with tar sands pipeline; Arctic Ocean: newly discovered source of methane ... PLUS: Why are U.S. taxpayers subsidizing coal mining? ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE: A Few Concerns Emerge as Voting in WI's Historic Gubernatorial Recall Election Officially Begins ...Wisconsin voters were supposed to be able to cast early, in-person "absentee ballots" beginning today, according to state law and a memo sent to the state's Municipal Clerks [PDF] last week by the Government Accountability Board (G.A.B.), the state's top election agency. But, alas, Wisco would leave disappointed this morning --- unable to cast what he/she had hoped might even be the first recall vote cast in the entire state --- after being told (inaccurately) that absentee ballots for Early Voting had not yet arrived at the Middleton municipal City Hall.....
• Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Now up to 9,200+ Election Protection posts! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! May 24, 2012
• Andy Kroll from Mother Jones Magazine will be here to tell us how the right is employing online attack dogs to spread their propaganda.
• Sara Robinson from Alternet will tell us how conservatives are trying to prevent our children from developing critical thinking abilities.
• Attorney James Kauffman will tell us how Morgan Stanley helped manipulate the price of Facebook stock to make a fortune while the rest of the shareholders saw their values plummet.
• And author Chauncey DeVega will be here to talk about the bully mentality that has taken over the minds of GOP leadership.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: The Facebook IPO Fraudsters Facebook’s stock went public last week, and many small time investors thought that they were going to make a fortune by snagging shares in the IPO. But Wall Street had a different plan – they knew this was going to be a hot stock with the public, but they also knew that the financial projections were way below what the average investors believed they were. So, in typical Wall Street fashion, they selectively released information to a few investors, which helped them make a ton of money when the stock was offered. Meanwhile, the average investor has continued watching their shares trend downward. Mike Papantonio talks about how Wall Street corruption has once again harmed mom and pop investors with attorney James Kauffman.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Jefferson Was Right – Fear The Bankers Thomas Jefferson said, “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.” Sixty-three years later, Abraham Lincoln expanded that warning. Here is what Lincoln said: “I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the financial institution in the rear. Of the two, the one in the rear is the greatest enemy… I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before in the midst of war.” Both Jefferson and Lincoln look like oracles today.
• Support Those Who Support Progressive Media! 2011 has certainly been a great year for Ring of Fire, and we’ve had some great sponsors that have helped support the show throughout the year. We wanted to take the time to personally thank each and every one of them, and we encourage all of our listeners to take the time to support those who have support us.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 8-11 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• May 21, 2012 News from Chicago, Jeff Smith Reports
• May 22, 2012 Ryan Grim, Embattled NRC Chair Pushed Out by Industry
• May 23, 2012 Charles Ferguson, Predator Nation
• May 24, 2012 Thomas Drake & Jesselyn Radack, Whistle-blowing in America
• May 25, 2012 Casual Friday! Cliff Schecter, News Round-Up & Dave Hill with Movies Picks
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityreport.official.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• NEW! MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV PLUS here is Max Keiser’s official Facebook page And here is the official Keiser Report page
• MUST READ BLOCKBUSTER REPORT FROM TERI BUHL ON WHY JP MORGAN’S PROBLEMS ARE JUST BEGINNING by maxkeiser READ SEC Tells JP Morgan Enforcement Action Coming over Bear’s Mortgage Backed Securities Violations
• COULD JPMORGUE LOSSES ALREADY PAST $31.5 BILLION ?? by admin - just finished a conversation with Turd Ferguson; he did the interview with me on May 11th where we broke open the story that the JPM losses extended from huge Interest Rate Swap damage. I directly gave Rob Kirby attribution the Wall Street Journal now quotes Dimon mentioning Delta-Hedge and usage on the Interest Rate Swap complex (confirmation!!!) well, Ferguson has come up with a simple deduction the New York Fed as part of their shoddy Bank Stress Tests, made a conclusion (directive) that JPM would have to suspend their stock buyback and dividend payouts IF THEIR DERIVATIVE LOSSES EXCEEDED $31.5 BILLION. JPMorgan just announced no more stock buyback or dividends although not a necessary & sufficient condition of the outsized losses, we have an indication of over $31.5 billion in losses. it will all come out gradually / JWCB
• Jamie Dimon: “I’m not a crook.” by maxkeiser READ What Did JPMorgan Execs Know and When Did They Know It? (propublica) AND NYTimes: Lyme Disease To Blame For JPM Trading Misstep (nyt)
• VIDEO! Cant Pay Wont Pay! Solidarity with the People of Greece – Fourman Films by maxkeiser
• KEISER REPORT [KR291] Keiser Report: Scatological Finance We discuss naked short selling by Goldman Sachs and piling on JP Morgan all while being hounded by a Fox News helicopter. In the second half of the show Max talks to Francine McKenna of reTheAuditors.com about Jamie Dimon, London whales and MF Global.
• KEISER REPORT [KR292] Keiser Report: Stripped To Teeth We discuss self-reporting financial crimes and private equity ripping teeth out of four year olds for profit. In the second half of the show Max talks to Teri Buhl about JP Morgan’s Wells Notice and what bad news that could mean to the troubled bank’s fortunes.
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Gregor Macdonald We interview Gregor Macdonald.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-359] Truth About Debtflation Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Steve Horn May 22, 2012: Steve Horn, researcher and writer at DeSmogBlog, discusses the Chicago NATO Summit activists arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism and providing material support for terrorism; the two informants who infiltrated the group and possibly planted or invented evidence; the home-brew kit Chicago police apparently “mistook” for a Molotov cocktail-maker; the activists held in solitary confinement and held without charge for days; why the cops and feds are so afraid of the Occupy Movement; and why Wall Street banks are hiring private security .
• Glenn Greenwald May 22, 2012: Salon.com blogger Glenn Greenwald discusses federal judge Katherine Forrest’s amazing ruling against the 2011 National Defense Authorization Act; why the US is moving rapidly toward an authoritarian police state 10+ years after 9/11; how the PATRIOT Act and military commissions, both highly controversial in 2001, have become the new normal; the Justice Department’s refusal to say that journalists and activists aren’t subject to indefinite detention – even though the DOJ would have won in court by doing so; how the NDAA violates the 1st and 5th Amendments; the Congress’s assault on due-process; and how the mainstream media avoids debate on inconvenient subjects by simply ignoring them.
• Chris Hellman May 25, 2012: Chris Hellman, Senior Research Analyst for the National Priorities Project, discusses his article “How Much Does Washington Spend on ‘Defense’;” the GOP’s plan to cut the “meals on wheels” program instead of the Pentagon’s budget; how constant threat-hyping makes Americans believe Iran is more threatening than the Soviet Union in its heyday; how outsourcing failed to reduce the size and cost of government; and why a few budget items should be higher, like nuclear waste storage.
• Ray McGovern May 25, 2012: Former CIA senior analyst Ray McGovern discusses his article “Applying the Six-Day War to Iran ;” neoconservative Charles Krauthammer’s revisionist history on the war – recounting it as a pre-emptive strike against imminent Arab attack instead of a long-planned land grab; former Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin’s candid honesty about Israel’s “war of choice” in 1967; disagreement among Israeli government officials on whether or not Iran poses an existential threat; and how President Obama’s timid negotiating style has complicated his effort to dissuade Netanyahu from attacking Iran.
• Flynt Leverett May 25, 2012: Flynt Leverett, former Senior Director for Middle East Affairs at the National Security Council, discusses the latest negotiations on Iran’s nuclear enrichment program at the just-concluded P5+1 Baghdad summit; why the US will never agree to lift sanctions on Iran, no matter the concessions; how the US negotiating position makes Obama look like an idiot; Richard Nixon’s observation that the same political price is paid for going half way as all the way – so you might as well go to China ; why the Obama administration still won’t (consistently) acknowledge Iran’s rational leadership and sovereign (and NPT) right to enrich uranium; and how bad-faith negotiating by the US ruined the “reciprocity framework” established in the previous Istanbul talks.
• Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Senator John McCain
• Cardinal Donald Wuerl
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml