Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!!
Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
SCOTUS is the Decider We just can't get enough of King Jamie of JPM! From Thursday at SeekingAlpha.com by Colin Lokey JPMorgan Loss Estimates Reach $9 Billion; The Real Risk Remains In Play JPMorgan Chase (JPM) got a $9 billion dose of reality today courtesy of The New York Times. In an article released this morning, the Times reported that, according to inside sources familiar with the firm's models, the losses on the so-called 'London Whale' trade are now expected to reach $9 billion, more than quadruple the original estimates. While this is certainly bad in and of itself, what it means for the composition of the remaining portion of the trade could be even worse for shareholders. Consider that the New York Times piece contends that
- The bank's exit from its money-losing trade is happening faster than many expected... JPMorgan has moved rapidly to unwind the position - its most volatile assets in particular - internal models at the bank have recently projected losses of as much as $9 billion...With much of the most volatile slice of the position sold, however, regulators are unsure how deep the reported losses will eventually be.
For this reason, shareholders should be skeptical of the notion that the firm has sold the 'most volatile assets'. The volatility of the assets largely depends on the environment. Short JPM or long JPM puts. Poor Jamie! NOW might be a good time to CRASH JP Morgan Buy Silver! Then read this long post by Tyler Durden at ZeroHedge Germany Cries: "Europe Is Coming For Our Money", Greece Promptly Obliges ... Specifically, what is now painfully clear to everyone in Germany is that if indeed Merkel's declarations over the past few days are to be taken at face value, then Germany has just lost control over European supervision: a topic very near and dear to all Germans' heart, as up until this point money would be handed out only in exchange for conditionality. A move whie Welt calls a paradigm shift: "To date the Germans insisted that the €-aids come equipped with shackles. Money was always associated with reform programs that were monitored by the Troika of the EU, European Central Bank (ECB) and International Monetary Fund (IMF)." That is now no longer the case. At least according to conventional wisdom.....
Abrahm Lustgarten writes at ProPublica Injection Wells: The Poison Beneath Us Over the past several decades, U.S. industries have injected more than 30 trillion gallons of toxic liquid deep into the earth, using broad expanses of the nation's geology as an invisible dumping ground. No company would be allowed to pour such dangerous chemicals into the rivers or onto the soil. But until recently, scientists and environmental officials have assumed that deep layers of rock beneath the earth would safely entomb the waste for millennia. There are growing signs they were mistaken. Records from disparate corners of the United States show that wells drilled to bury this waste deep beneath the ground have repeatedly leaked, sending dangerous chemicals and waste gurgling to the surface or, on occasion, seeping into shallow aquifers that store a significant portion of the nation's drinking water. ..... "In 10 to 100 years we are going to find out that most of our groundwater is polluted," said Mario Salazar, an engineer who worked for 25 years as a technical expert with the EPA's underground injection program in Washington. "A lot of people are going to get sick, and a lot of people may die." Much much more to read! And you thought fracking was bad? ....Clefts left after the earth is cracked open to frack for oil and gas also can connect abandoned wells and waste injection zones. How far these man-made fissures go is still the subject of research and debate, but in some cases they have reached as much as a half-mile, even intersecting fractures from neighboring wells.When injection wells intersect with fracked wells and abandoned wells, the combined effect is that many of the natural protections assumed to be provided by deep underground geology no longer exist. Good grief! Read all of this! Lenore Taylor at The Age reports on the RIO+20 meeting World leaders' Rio accord is epic failure, says Greenpeace NEGOTIATORS in Rio de Janeiro have claimed success after finalising a statement to be issued by more than 100 world leaders who arrive in the Brazilian city over the next few days. But many observers said the ''success'' at the United Nations conference was possible only after the agreement was watered down so far it became meaningless. ''Rio has turned into an epic failure. It has failed on equity, failed on ecology and failed on economy,'' the executive director of Greenpeace International, Kumi Naidoo, said. The World Wildlife Fund executive director, Jim Leape, said the document was a ''colossal failure of leadership and vision''. And the Oxfam spokesman Stephen Hale said the world leaders should ''start again''. But the Brazilian External Affairs Minister, Antonio Patriota, said the result was ''very satisfying … because it is a result. As of yesterday we were facing considerable difficulties to have a text at all''. And the US chief negotiator, Todd Stern, said the agreement was a ''good strong step forward''. Brazilian negotiators conceded that the European Union, often a leading force at such negotiations, had taken a far weaker role due to its unfolding financial crisis. The European Commissioner for Climate Change, Connie Hedegaard, said after the deal was struck ''nobody in that room was happy, that's how weak it was''. .... Mr Naidoo said Greenpeace would have to give up on international negotiations and move to a campaign of civil disobedience to try to overcome the state parochialism that was stopping any progress in multilateral talks to address environmental problems. And there's more in the Examiner Greenpeace: Rio+20 sustainable development summit a ‘failure’ by Cleophas Tsokodayi ‘Rio+20 has been a failure of epic proportions,’ Naidoo added. ‘The only outcome of this summit is justifiable anger, an anger that we must turn into action.’ ..... Aid group Oxfam also slammed the conference as a ‘hoax.’ ‘Rio will go down as the hoax summit,’ Oxfam chief executive Barbara Stocking said. ‘We elect governments to tackle the issues that we can’t tackle alone. But they are not providing the leadership the world desperately needs.’ ‘Paralyzed by inertia and in hock to vested interests, too many are unable to join up the dots and solve the connected crises of environment, equity and economy,’ her statement added. Find out more at Democracy Now's in-depth coverage Rio+20 Earth Summit NEXT Common Dreams staff put together UK Accuses Israel of Violating Rights of Palestinian Children The British government's Foreign Office has accused Israel of illegal mistreatment of Palestinian children after a report by a delegation of senior British lawyers revealed unconscionable practices, such as hooding, solitary confinement and the use of leg irons. The report, Children in Military Custody, was released on Tuesday. The investigative team, funded and facilitated by the Foreign Office and the British consulate in Jerusalem, found that "undisputed facts" pointed to at least six violations of the UN convention on the rights of the child, to which Israel is a signatory. The report claims that youngsters are dragged from their beds in the middle of the night, have their wrists bound behind their backs, and are blindfolded and made to kneel or lie face down in military vehicles. The children are held in conditions that amount to torture, such as solitary confinement and no access to their parents. In a damning conclusion, the report points out repeated breaches of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, which prohibits cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment. In addition, Israel is a party to the Geneva Conventions, and bound by its obligations, yet Articles 76 and 65 of the 4th Geneva Convention were also found to have been breached, according to the report. Article 76 prohibits detainees from being transported to the country of the authority which has detained them. In this case, Palestinian children were found to have been transported from the West Bank into Israel. Article 65 states that any penal laws applied to prisoners in an occupied land must be translated into their own language. The lawyers said the Israeli authorities failed to translate Military Order 1676 from Hebrew into Arabic. See Activists stage street action to protest Israeli torture practices Yesterday (Tuesday June 26) was International Day in Support of Victims of Torture. The Public Committee Against Torture in Israel (PCATI) organized an action in the public sphere to remind and demonstrate to Israelis that the state engages in daily acts of torture against Palestinian detainees. Matt Gertz over at MediaMatters.org writes about Will Fox Report On Fortune Bombshell That Fast And Furious Didn't Involve Gunwalking? As right-wing media cheer on a partisan Republican effort to find Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt with regard to Congress' inquiry into the ATF's Operation Fast and Furious, Fortune magazine has released a stunning investigation which concludes that ATF "never intentionally allowed guns to fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels" in that case. The Fortune piece is based on a six-month investigation that included the review of "more than 2,000 pages of confidential ATF documents" and interviews with "39 people, including seven law-enforcement agents with direct knowledge of the case." Its author, Katherine Eban, is an award-winning investigative reporter who writes for major national magazines and whose work has been featured on national broadcast news programs. ..... Eban's report raises important questions about the media's conventional wisdom on the case. As of publication, Fox News -- which has provided a constant flood of reports and commentary on every minor occurrence in Fast and Furious -- has not mentioned the story, which was published at 5 a.m. this morning. In Eban's telling, ATF agents weren't deliberately allowing guns to be walked, but rather were subject to federal prosecutors who told them at every turn that they lacked probable cause to make arrests and interdict the weapons, citing the weak gun laws they were working under..... READ ON! And see the interview with Katherine Eban below! Of course that didn't stop the GOPhers in the U.S. House from voting to hold US AG Eric Holder in Contempt two days later Eric Holder Contempt Vote Prompts House Democrats To Walk Out (VIDEO) While the House of Representatives voted to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress on Thursday, a number of House Democrats walked out of the Capitol in protest. Led by the Congressional Black Caucus, which announced plans to walk out on Wednesday, dozens of Democrats including Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) made a dramatic exit from the House floor while their colleagues voted to hold the Attorney General in contempt of Congress by a vote of 255-67. The protesting members gathered in front of the Capitol to speak out against the decision. However
17 Democrats join GOP in Holder rebuke (post-gazette.com) When the House voted Thursday to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress, more than 100 Democrats walked out, denouncing the vote as a political sham. But they left behind a group of 17 Democrats who face some of the toughest re-election contests in the nation, and that group joined Republicans in rebuking Mr. Holder. ... The NRA announced last week that they would include the lawmakers on their closely watched legislative score card. This week, the group turned over its website home page to a graphic calling for NRA members to pressure lawmakers to vote in favor of the contempt charge. At WaPo Ed O'Keefe asks and answers Which Democrats voted to hold Eric Holder in contempt of Congress? All but one of the 17 Democrats has previously been endorsed by the National Rifle Association, which said it would be tracking Thursday’s vote in determining future endorsements. In a letter to lawmakers last week, the NRA said, “It is no secret that the NRA does not admire Attorney General Holder.” But the gun rights group said it supported the contempt resolution because the Justice Department was obstructing a congressional investigation. So which Democrats voted for contempt? And which Republicans bucked the party line? Check out the listings below — with links to each’s members bio pages from The Washington Post Congressional Votes Database. If you see your rep on the list give 'em a piece of yer mind! Of course everything of substance litigated has to pass through the "activist" SCOTUS and the Wingers are HOWLING at Chief Justice JOHN ROBERTS. The Affordable Health Care Act is essentially the same CATO plan THE RIGHT used to attack "HillaryCare" back in the 90's! And now that it has passed and is The Law of The Land the GOPhers now want to tear it down when they got 95% of what they wanted already! Tommy Christopher at Mediaite reports
Pence de Ranged: GOP Rep. Mike Pence Likens SCOTUS Ruling To 9/11 Attacks In the sweepstakes for the most deranged reaction to the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the Heritage Foundation/Newt Gingrich/Mitt Romney-sired individual health care mandate, we have a winner. Politico is reporting that, upon hearing the ruling, Republican Congressman Mike Pence (R-IN) likened the Supreme Court’s decision to the terrorist attacks of 9/11. From Politico‘s Jake Sherman:
- In a closed door House GOP meeting Thursday, Indiana congressman and gubernatorial candidate Mike Pence likened the Supreme Court’s ruling upholding the Democratic health care law to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, according to several sources present. He immediately apologized. “My remarks at the Republican Conference following the Supreme Court decision were thoughtless. I certainly did not intend to minimize any tragedy our nation has faced and I apologize,” Pence said in a statement to POLITICO.
Sweeping Legislation on Dental Crisis "This bill recognizes the important role of dental care in overall health and expands coverage to those who have so often been left behind," Cummings said. "Disparities are systemic in our nation's health care system and have resulted in unacceptable differences in access and health care outcomes. That is why I am proud to introduce this legislation with Sen. Sanders to ensure that every person has access to affordable dental care and the opportunity to enjoy a long, healthy life." As many as 130 million Americans do not have dental insurance, according to a report prepared for Sanders as chairman of the Senate Subcommittee on Primary Health and Aging. One quarter of U.S. adults ages 65 and older have lost all of their teeth. About 17 million low-income children do not see a dentist each year, according to the study. The legislation introduced in the Senate and House would expand comprehensive dental coverage to millions of Americans through Medicare, Medicaid, and the Department of Veterans Affairs.... Follow the Senate bill S. 3272: Comprehensive Dental Reform Act of 2012 and the House bill H.R. 5909: Comprehensive Dental Reform Act of 2012 at GovTrack. In another SCOTUS ruling this week Supreme Court strikes down Montana law, reaffirming Citizens United reports Warren Richey at the Christian Science Monitor In a reaffirmation of its controversial Citizens United decision on campaign finances, the US Supreme Court on Monday struck down as unconstitutional a 100-year old Montana law that banned corporations from spending money to influence state elections. The high court voted 5 to 4 to summarily reverse a December 2011 decision by the Montana Supreme Court upholding the state’s Corrupt Practices Act of 1912. The 1912 ban on corporate money in elections was passed to prevent a return of the widespread corruption of the “Copper Kings,” when wealthy and powerful mining interests in Montana routinely bought judges, controlled newspapers, and bribed lawmakers. ..... Justice Stephen Breyer said in a dissent that he would have voted to hear the Montana case and use the case as a vehicle to reconsider the underlying decision in Citizens United, but it was clear there were not enough votes to do that. Three other justices joined Breyer’s dissent; Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan. “This court’s legal conclusions should not bar the Montana Supreme Court’s finding, made on the record before it, that independent expenditures by corporations did in fact lead to corruption or the appearance of corruption in Montana,” Breyer said. “Given the history and political landscape in Montana, that court concluded that the state had a compelling interest in limiting independent expenditures by corporations,” he wrote. “Montana’s experience, like considerable experience elsewhere since the court’s decision in Citizens United, casts grave doubt on the court’s supposition that independent expenditures do not corrupt or appear to do so.” The high court reversal brought praise from free speech advocates and disappointment from supporters of campaign finance reform efforts. The majority justices dismissed the Montana high court’s decision in a two-paragraph opinion..... One of the groups that were disappointed in the ruling was the The Eleventh Amendment Movement Citizens United Supreme Court Case is ‘Oddly Confusing’ to Montana AG, Says Group Montana Attorney General Steve Bullock’s office issued contradictory and confusing statements to a reporter on Thursday that indicate he doesn’t understand his own litigation strategy in Montana’s current Supreme Court battle against Citizens United, the Court’s controversial 2010 election finance law ruling, says The Eleventh Amendment Movement (TEAM), a non-partisan advocacy group. The attorney general’s statements, which then appeared Friday in a Great Falls (MT) Tribune newspaper article, also seemed to confirm an earlier message from the attorney general’s office that winning the case is a secondary “distraction” from some other, possibly political objectives, says TEAM. ..... Adam Furgatch, co-founder of TEAM, said that “every sentence of Montana’s statement had some misrepresentation or factual error about it. It was bizarre.” He specifically pointed to one “weird statement” from the attorney general that showed “a basic misunderstanding of not only the Constitution but also of the 11th Amendment briefs, which they have purported to have read and now are qualified to criticize.” The “weird” statement Mr. Furgatch referred to was this: “briefs filed by the 11th Amendment folks do not directly address Citizens United, but instead rely on a questionable legal theory that would basically allow states to avoid application of the federal Constitution.” Mr. Furgatch commented, “Do they think the 11th Amendment is somehow not part of the Constitution? Contrary to the idea that the 11th Amendment would ‘allow states to avoid application of the federal Constitution,’ it’s actually quite the opposite…TEAM’s argument allows the precise application of the Constitution’s 11th Amendment limitations to the federal court’s jurisdiction to WIN THE CASE.” He added, “All arguments put before the Court are, by definition, ‘questionable legal theories’ until the Court rules. Our briefs cite previous Court opinions from all five conservative pro-Citizens United justices as supporting 11th Amendment principles in similar cases. Is the Montana attorney general calling the justices’ own opinions and Court precedent ‘questionable theory?’” Much more at the TEAM link plus they posted their interview with Peter B. Collins Peter Collins Show, 'Supreme Disappointment', June 25, 2012
FUKUSHIMA UPDATE: Middle Tennessee State U. Students Now in #Fukushima, Will Volunteer in Minami Soma (not Soma) City And according to the article below, instead of Soma City they will help clean up MINAMI Soma City where, according to Assemblyman Ooyama the "black dust (substance, bacteria, etc.)" exceeding 10 million becquerels/kg of radioactive cesium is found. Part of Minami Soma City was within 20-kilometer radius "no-entry" zone, another part "planned evacuation zone", another part "evacuation-ready zone", meaning it is rather close to the wrecked nuclear power plant. According to Fukushima Minpo, a local newspaper in Fukushima, the students are learning exactly what the Fukushima prefectural government want them to learn so that they can disseminate "accurate" information about Fukushima to the world.....
Blogger TimFromLA notes from phys.org Record radiation levels detected at Fukushima reactor
- TEPCO, the operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, said Wednesday record amounts of radiation had been detected in the basement of reactor number 1, further hampering clean-up operations. TEPCO took samples from the basement after lowering a camera and surveying instruments through a drain hole in the basement ceiling. Radiation levels above radioactive water in the basement reached up to 10,300 millisievert an hour, a dose that will kill humans within a short time after making them sick within minutes. The annual allowed dose for workers at the stricken site is reached in only 20 seconds. "Workers cannot enter the site and we must use robots for the demolition," said TEPCO. The Fukushima operator said that radiation levels were 10 times higher than those recorded at the plant's two other crippled reactors, number two and three. This was due to the poor state of the nuclear fuel in the reactor compared to that in the two others. The meltdown at the core of three of Fukushima's six reactors occurred after the March 11, 2011 earthquake and ensuing massive tsunami shut off the power supply and cooling system. Demolition of the three reactors as well as the plant's number 4 unit is expected to take 40 years and will need the use of new technologies.
32 swallows found dead at the water purification plant in Nagano Related to this article.. 1.4 million Bq/kg from the nest of swallow (14,000 times above background radiation) TV Asahi reported 33 swallows were found dead at the water purification plant in Iida city Nagano on 6/24/2012. 2 of them were picked up but 1 of them died later. Those swallows were found in the pond, where is to dry sludge taken from river (35m×15m 1.8m deep). The dead bodies were in 30cm~45cm deep in the mud. The sludge contains poly aluminium chloride. .... Iida city bureau of waterworks comments there was no problem with the quality of water. Waterworks staff comments they have no idea why swallows died in the pond. From their radiation test on 5/30/2012, nothing was detected. They are going to conduct radiation measurement for tapwater and sludge of 6/24/2012. The samples of the dead bodies were sent to Rakuno Gakuen University, Yamashina Institute for Ornithology and Nagano Environmental Conservation Research Institute.... And MARTIN FACKLER at the NYT reports In Tokyo, Thousands Protest the Restarting of a Nuclear Power Plant Shouting antinuclear slogans and beating drums, tens of thousands of demonstrators gathered in front of the Japanese prime minister’s residence on Friday in the largest display yet of public anger at the government’s decision to restart a nuclear power plant. The crowd, including women with small children and men in suits coming from work, chanted "No more Fukushimas!" as it filled the broad boulevards near the residence and the national Parliament building, which were cordoned off by the police. Estimates of the crowd’s size varied widely, with organizers claiming 150,000 participants, while the police put the number at 17,000. Local news media estimated the crowd at between 20,000 and 45,000, which they described as the largest protest in central Tokyo since the 1960s. Protests of any size are rare in Japan, which has long been politically apathetic. However, there has been growing discontent among many Japanese who feel that Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda ignored public concerns about safety this month when he ordered the restarting of the Ohi power station in western Japan. ..... On Friday, many of the protesters complained that Mr. Noda was trying to take Japan back to its political business-as-usual of powerful bureaucrats and industry executives making decisions behind closed doors. Some described their outrage over the restart decision as a moment of political awakening, saying they were taking to the streets for the first time. "Japanese have not spoken out against the national government," said Yoko Kajiyama, a 29-year-old homemaker who carried her 1-year-old son. "Now, we have to speak out, or the government will endanger us all." "To restart the nuclear plant without ensuring its safety is crazy," said Naomi Yamazaki, 37, another homemaker and first-time demonstrator. "I know we need these plants for power and jobs, but I don’t trust the authorities now to protect us." Organizers said such mistrust had led to a quick growth in the size of the protests, which have been held every week since late March. The protests began with a few hundred participants, but rose into the thousands after Mr. Noda’s restart decision, said one organizer, Misao Redwolf, a illustrator based here in Tokyo. .....
BTV BOOKSHELF: From Contrarianbooks.com TOO MUCH MAGIC Pulling the Plug on the Cult of Tech - Secrets they won't tell you about your digital life TOO MUCH MAGIC is the story of how venture capital, media moguls and marketeers use digital magic to distract us, invade our privacy, corrupt democracy, distort our human values and sell us things that we don't need. Authored by Silicon Valley marketing communications guru Jason Benlevi, TOO MUCH MAGIC looks at all aspects of our emerging digital lifestyle, how it is changing us, and who really is benefiting.
Get the book directly from Contrarian Books and visit TooMuchMagic.com for more info and discussion! A must-read for all yer tweeting, texting and mobile app user friends and family with those magic "smart" phones! The Beltway Bubalas will have none of this except their "conventional wisdom" as the WH limo picks up White House Chief of Staff JACK LEW to baffle State of the Candy, Fake Snooze and This Snufagopolis who has the one and only KEITH OLBERMANN on the roundtable! Could KO be auditioning for the host slot on "This Week"? George want to host 'Mericun Bandstand or something anyways. KO should ask Christine Anampout how working for ABC worked out! Save a brick or two for JOHN "Crybaby" BOEHNER amusing Face the Bob with SCOTT "I Heart the Kochs" WALKER while HOWARD "I support the MEK terrorists" DEAN & NANCY "Impeachment is off the table" PELOSI will Meet the David wearing matching lucky purple pumps haha! Save your brain and check out PEPE ESCOBAR on AntiWar Radio (listen very carefully), MAX with CATHERINE AUSTIN FITTS, Laura Flanders with DR. MARGARET FLOWERS, DN! with WENDELL POTTER, MICHAEL MOORE and BILL MCGIBBON and many more intelligent guests! SAM has JUAN COLE, LORI WALLACH and THOMAS FRANK too! Much better than the dreck that poses for journalism on the Sunday Talking Head Funnies! The Brick TeeVee Crew has the gardens all nice and tidy except some critters mowed down our fenced-in bean garden once the beans were about 6" high! Grrrrrrr. The Big Heat drought in NE OH (and elsewhere) is hitting the critters hard so we can't be too upset they're chowing down our tiny plants. We even put out an upside-down snow dish (the kind the kids use in Winter) filled with water for the squirrels, wabbits, ground hogs and chipmunks to drink from. We hope they find it! Meanwhile we obtained a City Permit to finish off the rebuild of the front porch which The City demanded (three years in a row) for us to fix up. $500 later. Grrrrr. But is will look fabulous when we're done (as soon as we find the $$$$ for the materials)! Haha! Stay cool if you can as it seems the heatwave and drought is nearly nationwide! See you next week!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
Monday, June 25, 2012
- Greg Grandin, professor of Latin American history at New York University @ Democracy NOW! Coup in Paraguay: Will U.S. Join Latin America in Condemning Ouster of President Fernando Lugo?
- David Suzuki @ Democracy NOW! David Suzuki on Rio+20, "Green Economy" & Why Planet’s Survival Requires Undoing Its Economic Model
- Marielena Hincapié, executive director of the National Immigration Law Center @ Democracy NOW! In Mixed Ruling, Supreme Court Overturns Parts of Arizona’s S.B. 1070, Upholds "Show Me Your Papers"
- Bryan Stevenson, attorney who argued the Supreme Court case challenging juvenile life without parole @ Democracy NOW! Juvenile Justice: Plaintiffs’ Lawyer, Victim’s Father Hail Rejection of Mandatory Life Terms for Kids
- Correspondent Sharif Abdel Kouddous @ Democracy NOW! Sharif Abdel Kouddous: Historic Egypt Election Outweighed by Continued Dominance of Military Rule
- li>John Bonifaz @ Democracy NOW! Citizens United, Part 2? Supreme Court Overturns Montana Law Banning Corporate Spending on Elections
- Andy Kroll & Monika Bauerlein from Mother Jones magazine @ Democracy NOW! Dark Money: Inside the Final Frontier of Unlimited Political Spending (Part 2)
- Bill McKibben of 350.org @ Democracy NOW! Bill McKibben of 350.org on Colorado Wildfires, Debby, Keystone XL and the Failure of Rio+20
- John Ackerman, editor of the Mexican Law Review & Tania Molina, journalist at La Jornada @ Democracy NOW! Mexico Votes: Will Occupy-Inspired, Student-Fueled Movement Give Manuel López Obrador an Upset Win?
- Katherine Eban @ Democracy NOW! Amidst Holder Contempt Vote, New Investigation Undermines Key GOP Claims on "Fast and Furious"
- Matthew Heineman, award-winning director of "Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare" @ Democracy NOW! "Escape Fire": As Supreme Court Rules on Healthcare, Film Tackles U.S. Inefficiency, Spiraling Costs
- Michael Moore @ Democracy NOW! Michael Moore: Supreme Court Healthcare Ruling a Victory on the Path to Single Payer
- Dr. Oliver Fein, Wendell Potter & Jodi Jacobson @ Democracy NOW! Roundtable: Supreme Court Ruling Ensures Coverage for Millions, But Doubts Remain on Quality, Access
- Robin Lunge, Dr. Oliver Fein, Wendell Potter @ Democracy NOW! As Supreme Court Affirms Patchwork U.S. Healthcare System, Vermont Pushes Ahead with Single Payer
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW After Supreme Court Rules, Work for Single Payer: Dr. Margaret Flowers on what follows Judgement Day Margaret Flowers MD, is a pediatrician whose exasperation with the American health care system turned her into a single-payer activist. In 2009 she was arrested at the Senate Round Table on Health Insurance for attempting to speak on behalf of a single-payer plan when single payer had been cut out of the conversation. .... Around the country, though, Flowers believes single-payer supporters are in a stronger place now than they have ever been. (And during oral arguments on ACA this year, Justice Sotomayor was good enough to confirm the constitutionality of a public system) Regardless of how the court rules, we’ll still have health care woes and groups like Physicians for A National Health Program, will continue to fight for single-payer. Read a transcript of our conversation at TheNation.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» MLB Sunday TBS White Sox @ Yankees 2 pm et
»»» MLB Sunday Night ESPN Mets @ Dodgers 8 pm et
»»» MLB Monday Night ESPN Yankees @ Rays 7 pm et
»»» MLB Wednesday Night ESPN Rangers @ White Sox 7 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
- Please SIGN THE PETITION in support of the "99%'s Deficit Proposal" and plan direct actions to tell the Super Committee that the 99% have better solutions to our nation's crises. You can plan your own action at your Congressmember's office or join us in Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC for marches to Capitol Hill. Check our calendar for announcements.
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.org A Push for Privacy in the Wake of the Carrier IQ Controversy Remember Carrier IQ, the company that makes the secret spying software that’s installed on more than 140 million phones? You know, the software that can record our most sensitive personal data? ... Thanks in part to the 22,000 people who joined Free Press’ call for a congressional investigation, some of those questions are closer to being answered and mobile users are closer to being protected. The protection comes in the form of a bill from Massachusetts Rep. Ed Markey. Markey released a draft of a bill called the "Mobile Device Privacy Act" that would require phone companies to disclose to users just what is being done with all of their data. If the bill passes, an opt-out provision would go into effect a year later and would require companies to allow users to opt out of data-collection schemes like the one developed by Carrier IQ........
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar featuring David Cobb's Barnstorming Tour! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is running again in FL-8! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network
UPDATE! Michael Ratner on ANTIWAR RADIO Michael Ratner May 2, 2012: Michael Ratner, President Emeritus of the Center for Constitutional Rights, discusses his article “Bradley Manning: a show trial of state secrecy;” Manning’s quasi-public trial (which is open to observation, yet vital evidence and court documents are withheld from the media and public); why the NY Times is just as guilty of “aiding the enemy” as Manning and WikiLeaks; how President Obama and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta made a fair trial impossible; and how you can support Bradley Manning in his time of need.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATIONHelp save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012
AFGHANISTAN: 2,028 US Military Dead as of June 30, 2012
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) anchor George Stephanopoulos with Jake Tapper subbing
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• Vicki Kennedy, the widow of the late Sen. Ted Kennedy
• White House chief of staff Jack Lew
• House Budget Committee chair Paul Ryan, R-Wis.
• ROUNDTABLE: Keith Olbermann, ABC News' George Will, Democratic strategist and ABC News contributor Donna Brazile, former Rep. Artur Davis, and "Nightline" co-anchor Terry Moran, who covers the Supreme Court for ABC News.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• House Speaker John Boehner
• Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Ok.)
• Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.)
• Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisc.)
• Gov. Martin O'Malley (D-Md.)
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Stuxnet - The sophisticated computer worm that sabotaged Iran's nuclear program is now out there, its idea and methods exposed to terrorists or rogue nations who could use them to create their own cyberweapon. Steve Kroft reports. Graham Messick is the producer.
• Qatar - The tiny and prosperous Middle Eastern country with no income taxes and free health care is an island of calm in a sea of unrest as neighbors like Syria, Egypt and Bahrain experience social upheaval. Bob Simon reports. Harry Radliffe is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• Democratic Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
• Fmr Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT)
• Romney Supporter Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA)
• ROUNDTABLE: NBC’s Savannah Guthrie and Chuck Todd; Washington Post columnist Eugene Robinson; and the National Review’s Rich Lowry.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Jack Lew, President Obama’s Chief of Staff
• Jennifer Granholm, the former Michigan Governor and current Obama supporter
• Gov. John Hickenlooper (D-CO)
• ROUNDTABLE: CNN”s White House Correspondent Dan Lothian, and USA Today’s Washington Bureau Chief Susan Page
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Front Porch Friday!!!!! Bob is still out on his anti-coal barnstorming tour so no new shows! Listen to the June 14th Friday show HERE (mp3) NOW! Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - June 28th IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Record heat, record wildfires & Michelle Malkin on the run; Record flooding in FL so GOP fiddles with federal flood insurance; Climate deniers smack-down by appellate court is good news for anyone who breathes; PLUS: 80% renewable energy by 2050? New study says 'Yup! And it's easy!' ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Exxon CEO calls climate change engineering problem; Chesapeake Energy Colluded With Rival To Lower Prices In Bid Wars; BPA Linked to Brain Tumors for the First Time; Feds Grant Approval for Southern Portion of Keystone XL Pipeline ... PLUS: Kardashians Get 40 Times More News Coverage Than Ocean Acidification ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE: EXCLUSIVE: Documents Reveal Florida Officials Misleading Public About Federal Immigration Database Sought for Use in State Voter Purge A review of public documents and internal emails obtained by The BRAD BLOG on the heels of a federal lawsuit filed against the state last week by the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) --- charging that Florida's attempted purge of voter rolls violates federal law --- reveals that claims being repeatedly made by the Florida officials about both the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and DoJ are disingenuous at best. Admissions made to DHS officials on at least two occasions, by a high-ranking attorney at the FL Dept. of State (FDOS), undermine the public assertions of both Scott and Detzner, who each claim that the federal government is purposely withholding access to a federal immigration database so that it cannot be used for scrubbing illegal voters off the state rolls. The false allegation that the DHS has "refused" to provide access to the database, so as to prevent the state from lawfully removing illegally registered non-citizen voters, was also repeated in Florida's own federal complaint, which it recently filed against DHS. In offering this deceptive claim, Scott and Detzner are knowingly inflaming an unsubstantiated conspiratorial scheme that the Obama Administration is working to keep illegal voters on the rolls in order to enhance the President's 2012 election prospects.
• BRADCAST UPDATE! VIDEO: Brad on Thom Hartmann TV Discussing FL's Deceptive PR Blitz About Use of DHS Database With Their 'Unflawful' Voter Purge
• Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Now up to 9,200+ Election Protection posts! Find out who's counting your votes and how at ElectionIntegrity.org too.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC Standard Podcast June 27, 2012 Breaking: Karl Rove’s Rant on Fox May Have Been Triggered by His Concern Over Being Outed as Bisexual Our Deep South correspondent, Roger Shuler, shares his exclusive report that Karl Rove’s unhinged rant on Fox Nooz may be related to reports that he is bisexual, has young male loverShuler relies on a letter from former GOP campaign worker-turned-whistleblower Jill Simpson that asserts that Rove is bisexual, and identifies blogger Ali Akbar as his boyfriend. This follows last week’s rant by Rove on Greta van Susteren’s Fox show, where he responded to her question about his Super PAC, Crossroads GPS, with a series of lies about Simpson, including the false statement that Simpson had been represented by attorney Bob Bauer.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! June 29, 2012
• We’ll be talking about the biggest Supreme Court decision since Citizens United – their ruling on the Affordable Care Act. Nan Aron, the president of the Alliance for Justice, will join us for that discussion.
• David Lyle from Media Matters’ Courts Matter project will be joining us to discuss this week’s Supreme Court decisions, specifically the rulings on the Arizona immigration law and the Montana court’s decision to limit campaign donations.
• Academy Award-nominated filmmaker Josh Fox will join us to discuss his latest short film “The Sky is Pink.”
• And Gaius Publius from America Blog will be joining us to talk about how progressives can create powerful, meaningful political movements – movements that can’t be hijacked by a political party.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Corporate Rats Are Gobbling Up American Resources In much the same way that big rats will kill smaller mice to gain control of the last bit of cheese in a cage, the big rats in America are after that last bit of cheese, in an empire they have helped destroy. The big rats help perpetrate that big lie about American exceptionalism, and America the super power, in hopes that no one will recognize the truth; in hopes the rest of us will remain blind to what is, in real life, occurring all around us.
• RT VIDEO! Papantonio: The Next Steps In The Healthcare Reform Fight Mike Papantonio appears on The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann to discuss the next round of battles in the fight for healthcare reform, now that the right is in a frenzy over this week’s SCOTUS ruling.
• Support Those Who Support Progressive Media! 2011 has certainly been a great year for Ring of Fire, and we’ve had some great sponsors that have helped support the show throughout the year. We wanted to take the time to personally thank each and every one of them, and we encourage all of our listeners to take the time to support those who have support us.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 8-11 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• June 25, 2012 Juan Cole, What’s Ahead for Egypt
• June 26, 2012 Lori Wallach, Corporate Power Tool TPP
• June 27, 2012 Thomas Frank, Kansas and the Conservative Wish-List & Ted Alexandro Occupy CITI
• June 28, 2012 Amanda Frost, SCOTUS Rules on Affordable Care Act
• June 29, 2012 Casual Friday! Ari Berman, ACA Ruling & Michael Ian Black, Movie Pick
• MORE Podcast Interviews at Majority.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• NEW! MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV PLUS here is Max Keiser’s official Facebook page And here is the official Keiser Report page
• The “Keiser Report” has been begging europe to do this for years by maxkeiser READ European Banks Preparing To Boycott Big Three Rating Agencies zerohedge(nakedcapitalism)
• Further losses by the bank have been reported regarding their “London Whale.” Has JP Morgan been forced to sell-off major positions, including their short in silver? Probably. by maxkeiser READ Commercial Hedgers in Silver Market “Less-Short” Than in Last Thirty Years – Is JPMorgan a Catalyst?
• KEISER REPORT [KR306] Keiser Report: Gold vs Paper We discuss the world looking for people looking for economic salvation in gold, the Eurozone and emerging markets and ask “what kind of stupid people put precious money into messy banks?” In the second half of the show Max talks to former market maker and newsletter writer, Rick Ackerman, about inflation, deflation, the euro and the student loan market.
• KEISER REPORT [KR307] Keiser Report: Zombie Bank Apocalypse We demand the big banks prove they are not dead by removing the life support systems, especially cufflinky Jamie Dimon’s Too-Big-To-Fail bank. In the second half of the show Max talks to Professor Steve Keen about the wages being negatively related to the level of interest rates and debt.
• KEISER REPORT [KR308] Keiser Report: Barclays’ Bad Bet We discuss ‘big boys’ and carding crimes, marmite pots and Olympic has-beens, wash trades and perfect games. In the second half of the show Max talks to former commodities analyst and blogger, Michael Krieger, about the meaning of the escalating and blatant financial crime wave.
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Catherine Austin Fitts Max interviews Catherine Austin Fitts!
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM365] The Truth About Markets – 16 June 2012 Download show HERE (mp3)
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM367] The Truth About Rigging Interest Rates and Liebor – 30 June 2012 Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Gareth Porter June 27, 2012: Gareth Porter, investigative historian and journalist specializing in U.S. national security policy, discusses why the Obama administration is leaking their diplomatic strategy to the media prior to commencing Iran talks; how Obama’s hard-line on Iran sanctions allows him to claim that Israel’s demands are his demands; the IAEA’s real job: make Iran look uncooperative and suspicious; why the alleged “clean-up” at Iran’s Parchin site is as unbelievable as Iraq’s mobile germ warfare labs in 2003; and how election-year politics queered an Iran deal and hindered Obama’s ability to negotiate (but isn’t it always an election year, or something?)
• Jacob Hornberger June 30, 2012: Jacob Hornberger, founder and president of the Future of Freedom Foundation, discusses his article “Needed: A National Debate on U.S. Support of Dictatorships;” the 1953 CIA-supported coup in Iran, leading to the hostage crisis, 1979 Islamic Revolution, and poor relations to this day; the US-supplied Iraqi weapons of mass-destruction; the conditional US anti-dictator policy (cooperative dictators needn’t fear regime-change); why Americans may finally be catching on to the War on Terrorism farce; and cutting the federal budget by eliminating aid to foreign dictators.
• Pepe Escobar June 30, 2012: Globetrotting journalist Pepe Escobar discusses his article “Syria and Turkey’s Phantom War;” Turkey’s violation of Syrian airspace in a purposeful, measured provocation and test of Syria’s defenses; the near-invocation of NATO Article 5 and a wider war (an attack on one NATO country is an attack on all); looking for ways to bypass the UN on Syria, since China and Russia won’t let an interventionist resolution pass the Security Council; grand plans for NATO expansion in the official “Assured Security, Dynamic Engagement” plan; counterrevolutions in the Middle East and South America, as the US looks to rebuild its portfolio of client states; and how Qatar has become the new superpower in the Middle East, surpassing even Saudi Arabia.
• Lew Rockwell June 30, 2012: Lew Rockwell, founder and Chairman of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, discusses his “War and Inflation“ speech at a 2008 Future of Freedom Foundation conference;” how central banking allows governments to fund wars and empire through money printing instead of direct taxation, keeping a lid on internal dissent; why deflation is a normal and desirable condition of productive economies; and why Keynesianism is best summarized as the economics of state power.
• Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• White House Chief of Staff Jack Lew
• Senator Mitch McConnell
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml