Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
More Dog Days of Summer at Brick TeeVee! The Brick TeeVee Crew is still relaxing during these Dog Days but managed to submit a few stories this week. First we go to Senior Associate Editor at The Atlantic Rebecca J. Rosen reports The Climate Is Set to Change 'Orders of Magnitude' Faster Than at Any Other Time in the Past 65 Million Years ..... A new paper in the journal Science finds that climate change is now set to occur at a pace "orders of magnitude more rapid" than at any other time in the last 65 million years. That breakneck speed may mean extinction for species that cannot keep up. For example, the paper's authors Noah S. Diffenbaugh and Christopher B. Field of Stanford write, consider the global cooling that took place beginning some 52 million years ago. That change was of a greater magnitude than even the worst-case global-warming projections for the 21st century. But that transition occurred over a period lasting 18 million years, not a matter of decades. ....... The specifics of how this "unprecedented rate of global warming" will affect terrestrial species are uncertain, and will likely vary region to region, habitat to habitat. For some species, hospitable environments may emerge just kilometers away. For others, the authors put it in words that conceal the turmoil, "the constraint may be no-analog climates." Meaning, simply, that they'll have nowhere to go. In other words, we're doomed.
At Zerohedge Tyler Durdan reports Japan Finally Admits The Truth: "Right Now, We Have An Emergency At Fukushima" Tepco is struggling to contain the highly radioactive water that is seeping into the ocean near Fukushima. The head of Japan's NRA, Shinji Kinjo exclaimed, "right now, we have an emergency," as he noted the contaminated groundwater has breached an underground barrier and is rising toward the surface - exceeding the limits of radioactive discharge. In a rather outspoken comment for the typically stoic Japanese, Kinjo said Tepco's "sense of crisis was weak," adding that "this is why you can't just leave it up to Tepco alone" to grapple with the ongoing disaster. As Reuters notes, Tepco has been accused of covering up shortcomings and has been lambasted for its ineptness in the response and while the company says it is taking actions to contain the leaks, Kinjo fears if the water reaches the surface "it would flow extremely fast," with some suggesting as little as three weeks until this critical point. Click over for important sections of the Reuters story!
Also at ZeroHedge are these prepared comments by Dallas Fed Man Dick Fisher from "Horseshift! (With Reference to Gordian Knots)" Dallas Fed's Fisher: "We Own A Significant Slice Of Critical Markets. This Is Something Of A Gordian Knot" and Quote Of The Day: Mexico > USA Says Dick Today, we have not one but two quotes of the day courtesy of Dick Fisher:
- FISHER SAYS MEXICAN GOVERNMENT BETTER RUN THAN U.S. GOVERNMENT
- FISHER SAYS MEXICO GOV'T ANTITHESIS OF U.S. GOV'T ON FISCAL, BUDGET
- The BBC Israel backs new Jewish settlement homes - The Israeli government has approved the construction of nearly 1,200 new homes in Jewish settlements in occupied Palestinian areas
- BENGHAZI CIA PRESENT Jake Tapper at CNN Exclusive: Dozens of CIA operatives on the ground during Benghazi attack
- Ryan J. Reilly at HuffPoAOL North Carolina Voter ID Law Could Impact 613,000 Voters, Report Says
- Friends of the Earth News Release at Progress.org Major U.S. Companies Drop Genetically Engineered Foods in Europe, Citing Consumer Fears - Survey Says Kellogg, Coke, Pepsi, Kraft, Heinz, Others Add to Growing List of Companies Going GE-Free - but not in U.S.
- Lauren McCauley, staff writer at CommonDreams.org Govt Training Game Marks 'Unhappiness with US Foreign Policy' as 'High Threat' - CyberAwareness Challenge prepares millions of federal employees for peer-policing of 'suspicious' coworkers
- James Ball and Spencer Ackerman at The Guardian NSA loophole allows warrantless search for US citizens' emails and phone calls
- Jennifer Hoelzer at Tech Dirt Jennifer Hoelzer's Insider's View Of The Administration's Response To NSA Surveillance Leaks In a bit of fortuitous timing, this week we had asked former deputy chief of staff for Ron Wyden, Jennifer Hoelzer, to do our weekly "Techdirt Favorites of the Week" post, in which we have someone from the wider Techdirt community tell us what their favorite posts on the site were. As you'll see below, Hoelzer has a unique and important perspective on this whole debate concerning NSA surveillance, and given the stories that came out late Friday, she chose to ditch her original post on favorites and rewrite the whole thing from scratch last night (and into this morning). Given that, it's much, much more than a typical "favorites of the week" post, and thus we've adjusted the title appropriately. I hope you'll read through this in its entirety for a perspective on what's happening that not many have.
- Jennifer Hoelzer on DN! Senate Insider Speaks Out: Ex-Wyden Staffer on Secret Laws, Domestic Spying and Obama’s NSA Reforms
- Mike Maznik at Tech Dirt adds Confirmed: There Is No Real Oversight Of The NSA's Surveillance
- Dennis Kucinich gave this speech broadcast at ALTERNATIVERADIO.ORG
War and Peace
- Kathleen Sutcliffe at EarthJustice.org Fracking Industry Sought Lifetime Gag Order on Kids Whatever happened to "sticks and stones"?
- Natasha Lennard at SALON Bloomberg slams stop-and-frisk ruling
Maybe Mikey Bloomberg needs to walk the streets of NYC in grubby clothes instead of traveling in a limo in a $2,000 suit? Yeah grubby clothes and pushing a cart! Under a bridge! For a week! A real "Trading Places" eh? Might change Mikey's outlook, ya think?
- EarthInsight Nafeez Ahmed at The Guardian Pentagon bracing for public dissent over climate and energy shocks
- RELATED Frank Morales at GlobalResearch.ca Homeland Defense: The Pentagon Declares War on America
- Glenn Greenwald and Ewen MacAskill at The Guardian NSA turning Internet into complete surveillance tool
- teh goo-gle says if you want e-mail privacy, don't use theirs. Dominic Rushe at The Guardian Google: don't expect privacy when sending to Gmail
- Timothy Karr, Campaign Director, Free Press and SavetheInternet.com at HuffPoAOL Ron Wyden Independent board Obama's NSA Reforms Off to a Bad Start
- REVOLVING DOOR: Allen McDuffee at Wired.com
Obama Nominates Defense Contractor SAIC Executive Deborah Lee James as Air Force Secretary
- Ladar Levison, founder, owner and operator of Lavabit on DN! Tue finally challenged his own NSA "security letters". HUGE! EXCLUSIVE: Owner of Snowden’s Email Service on Why He Closed Lavabit Rather Than Comply With Gov’t
- DSWright at FDL FBI Pressuring Internet Providers To Allow Government Surveillance Software
BTV IDEA! Let's all SUE our telecoms in CIVIL COURT! If enough of us CHALLENGE the "no joining class action lawsuits" clause we can gum up the works ENOUGH that they will have to address the legality of THEM barring US contractually to form a class! It could be a two-fer!
- Andrew O'Hehir at SALON The NSA-DEA police state tango
- Jesse's Café Américain Thomas Drake On Government Overreach, Obsessive Secrecy, and Constitutional Abuses
- Wikileaks responds to Manning's statement
..... Mr. Manning's options have run out. The only currency this military court will take is Bradley Manning's humiliation. In light of this, Mr. Manning's forced decision to apologise to the US government in the hope of shaving a decade or more off his sentence must be regarded with compassion and understanding.
Mr. Manning's apology is a statement extorted from him under the overbearing weight of the United States military justice system. It took three years and millions of dollars to extract two minutes of tactical remorse from this brave soldier.
Bradley Manning's apology was extracted by force, but in a just court the US government would be apologizing to Bradley Manning. As over 100,000 signatories of his Nobel Peace Prize nomination attest, Bradley Manning has changed the world for the better. He remains a symbol of courage and humanitarian resistance.
Mr. Manning's apology shows that as far as his sentencing is concerned there are still decades to play for. Public pressure on Bradley Manning's military court must intensify in these final days before the sentencing decision against him is made.
WikiLeaks continues to support Bradley Manning, and will continue to campaign for his unconditional release.
Free Bradley Manning.
- WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Barton Gellman of the Washingtom Post tells us that the NSA often breaks privacy rules! (h/t jen & ljm) The National Security Agency has broken privacy rules or overstepped its legal authority thousands of times each year since Congress granted the agency broad new powers in 2008, according to an internal audit and other top-secret documents. Most of the infractions involve unauthorized surveillance of Americans or foreign intelligence targets in the United States, both of which are restricted by statute and executive order. They range from significant violations of law to typographical errors that resulted in unintended interception of U.S. e-mails and telephone calls.........
- Jennifer Hoelzer, former deputy chief of staff for Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) Senate Insider Speaks Out: Ex-Wyden Staffer on Secret Laws, Domestic Spying and Obama’s NSA Reforms
- John D'Emilio, professor of history and gender studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago Black, Gay and a Pacifist: Bayard Rustin Remembered For Role in March on Washington, Mentoring MLK
- Sunita Patel, staff attorney with the Center for Constitutional Rights Judge Rules NYPD "Stop and Frisk" Unconstitutional, Cites "Indirect Racial Profiling"
- Ladar Levison, founder, owner and operator of Lavabit and his attorney Jesse Binnall EXCLUSIVE: Owner of Snowden’s Email Service on Why He Closed Lavabit Rather Than Comply With Gov’t
- Nicholas Merrill, the executive director of the Calyx Institute Former Internet Provider Gagged by National Security Letter Recounts How He Was Silenced for 6 Years For six years the FBI barred him from revealing it had sent him a national security letter demanding information about his clients–including Democracy Now!, whose website was hosted by his company. Merrill fought the government and won a settlement in 2010 with the help of the ACLU that allowed him to reveal his identity and discuss some details about his experience.
- Alastair Beach, Cairo correspondent for The Independent Dozens Dead as Egyptian Forces Commit 3rd Mass Killing of Pro-Morsi Demonstrators
- Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson, drummer and co-founder of The Roots Questlove on Police Racial Profiling, Stop & Frisk, the Message He Took from Trayvon Martin Verdict
- MORE Questlove Questlove on His Musical Upbringing, Hip-Hop’s 40th, Soul Train and New Memoir, "Mo’ Meta Blues"
- harif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent based in Cairo Massacre in Cairo: Egypt on Brink After Worst Violence Since 2011 Revolution
- Alexa O'Brien, independent journalist Facing 90 Years, Bradley Manning Expresses Regret for "Unintended Consequences" of Leaking Docs
- DN Co-host Juan González Juan González Remembers Pioneering NYC Political Strategist Bill Lynch
- Alex Abdo, staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Security Project NSA Violated Surveillance Rules Thousands of Times, Intercepted All 202 Area Code Calls By Accident
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent based in Cairo Day of Rage in Cairo: Anti-Coup Groups Hold Massive Protest Marches to Condemn Deadly Crackdown
- P.J. Crowley Ex-State Department Spokesperson P.J. Crowley: The U.S. Should Describe Morsi Ouster as a Coup
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent based in Cairo Did an 8-Year-Old Spy for America? U.S. Drone Killed Yemeni Man After Boy Planted Tracking Chip
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW A Co-op Story: Milk Not Jails Milk Not Jails was founded in 2010 and seeks to throw a wrench in the wheels of the prison economy. How? By investing in New York state’s agricultural industry. more.....
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN It's the Pure Michigan 400 from the Michigan International Speedway! Coverage begins at 1 pm et »»» SUNDAY BASEBALL on TBS Dodgers @ Phillies 1:35 pm et »»» SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Yankees @ Red Sox 8 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Red Sox @ Giants 10 pm et »»» WEDNESDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Rays @ Orioles 7 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Meet the New CISPA. Same as the Old CISPA. Last year, thanks to a public outcry, the effort to pass overreaching cybersecurity legislation stalled in the Senate. Now supporters have reintroduced the House version of that legislation — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). The “new” version is in fact identical to the original CISPA — and poses the same threat to our digital civil liberties. If CISPA becomes law, it will be a major blow to our online privacy. But more than that, CISPA’s passage would have a chilling effect on our freedom to connect online. We won’t feel as free to state unpopular opinions, or to speak truth to power, if we know that Big Brother could get a feed of everything we say and do. This is not what the free and open Internet is about. We must tell Congress: Vote NO on CISPA and bury this bill for good.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network UPDATE! From the Bradley Manning Support Network Update 8/16/13: Journalist Alexa O'Brien "tracking case" well, notes defense attorney Following today's brief session, defense attorney David Coombs spoke with supporters. Among many things, he noted that independent journalist Alexa O'Brien was doing a very good job of "tracking" and reporting on recent developments....... AND Bradley Manning sentencing concludes, closing arguments on Monday: trial report, day 35 August 16, 2013. By Nathan Fuller. Prosecutors put on a very brief rebuttal case on Friday, and then rested their case. The defense and prosecution will deliver their closing sentencing arguments on Monday, August 19, after which Judge Lind will begin deliberating. The judge also issued special findings, explaining her reasoning for each of Bradley Manning's convictions.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,263 US Military Dead as of Aug 16, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• Senate Foreign Relations Committee Ranking Member Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn.
• House Foreign Affairs Committee Ranking Member Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y.
• New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly
• RNC Chair Reince Priebus
• ROUNDTABLE: Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., former White House senior adviser and Bloomberg TV contributor David Plouffe, former Hewlett-Packard CEO and Good360 chair Carly Fiorina, and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol, in his first appearance on “This Week” in over a decade.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
• Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Calif.
• New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly
• Bob Goodlatte, R-Va.
• Bobby Scott, D-Va.
• ROUNDTABLE: TBA
- 60 Minutes (CBS) Summer Reruns
• Counterinsurgency Cops - Counterinsurgency tactics they used overseas in the military are helping law enforcement officers take back the streets of Springfield, Mass., from criminal gangs. Lesley Stahl reports. Andrew Metz is the producer.
• Africa Mercy - The world's largest civilian hospital ship takes volunteer medical staff to the Third World where they have restored sight to thousands of people suffering from cataracts and returned smiles to victims of facial tumors and cleft palates. Scott Pelley reports. Henry Schuster and Rachel Kun Morehouse are the producers.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI)
• Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
• Senior Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center, Robin Wright
• NYPD Police Commissioner Ray Kelly
• ROUNDTABLE: Former White House Press Secretary now an NBC News Political Analyst Robert Gibbs, Editor of the National Review Rich Lowry, Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), and NBC News Political Director Chuck Todd.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines.
• Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
• former U.S. Ambassador to Egypt Ned Walker and Middle East analyst Jon Alterman
• Rep. Justin Amash
• Rep. Chris Van Hollen
• ROUNDTABLE: Grover Norquist, Donna Brazile, Mo Elleithee and Cheri Jacobus
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Church Night Wednesday!!!!! Uber pope/imam/rabbi Bob rips the religious right's hippocracy! Listen NOW HERE - Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 (mp3)! Keep Bob on the air HERE ya hear? Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - August 18, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Record breaking weather extremes are the new normal; Surprise! 'Conservative' media disinforms the public; Fossil fuel industry showers Republicans with campaign cash; Seattle's community solar; PLUS: The FATBERG that threatened London ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): What are the most climate-friendly cars?; Solar wars in Arizona; South Korea launches world's first road-powered electric charging system; Wind power cheaper than coal, natural gas; TN sells out of solar credits in 1 day; Wells run dry in KS; Native Americans arrested protesting tar sands on tribal lands; Sea level rise threatens major American cities - does anyone care?; BP CEO says he's done paying oil spill claims; How does Elon Musk's Hyperloop work? ... PLUS: How a powerful group of corporations quietly tried to roll back clean energy standards, and failed miserably ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - August 6, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Breaking: Another coal mine disaster in KY; 200 arrested protesting Chevron's toxic 100-year old San Francisco refinery; Why are drillers wasting 1/3 of natural gas?; South Korea's growing nuclear industry scandal; Extreme heat naturally poaching Alaska's salmon; PLUS: The world's first test-tube burger ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Govt: WikiLeaks Damage Wildly Overstated Sentencing phase for convicted whistleblower Manning reveals, despite previous government claims, nobody died thanks to U.S. Army soldier's leaks to media...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Thank You, Congressman Sensenbrenner. (Seriously.) WI Republican becomes unlikely champion of Voting Rights Act, in direct contrast with his own party's shameful leadership...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! The United States
of Fear and Redaction A word or two about our out of control, massive, 'just trust us' secrecy state, the return of 'terror', and one ridiculous case of redaction out of Guantanamo...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! GOP Candidate Cast 300 Fraudulent Absentee Ballots That's 300 more fraudulent ballots than ACORN ever cast. MA Repub changed Dem regis-trations, voted in their name. No polling place Photo ID restriction could have stopped him...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! VIDEO! Must-See: 14-Year Old DESTROYS Monsanto/GMO Defending TV Anchor Teenage 'Right to Know' advocate Rachel Parent debates, shames shameless Canadian news net's corporate talking head...
• THE BRADCAST! KPFK 'BradCast': Does the Sale of WaPo Matter? Dan Froomkin, formerly of Washington Post, says 'Yes!' and optimistically explains why. Also, plenty of rants on much more by a very cynical Brad this week...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment Aug 6, 2013 PBC News & Comment: Exposing Ridiculous Government Claims of Secrecy Note: PBC on vacation till 8/19. Fearing al Qaeda attack on Gitmo, Pentagon says genital search memo must remain secret….
• PBC Standard Podcast Aug 13, 2013 Boiling Frogs: Investigator Peter Lance Argues that al Qaeda Brought Down TWA Flight 800
• PBC Standard Podcast Aug 18, 2013 Boiling Frogs: Dr. Binoy Kampmark of Australia’s WikiLeaks Party Talks About Snowden, Manning, Assange and More
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Aug 2, 2013 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 7 pm Eastern.
• Investigative journalist Rick Outzen will join us to discuss the numerous crimes of oil giant BP.
• Michael Petit from the Every Child Matters Education Fund will join us to talk about the right wing assault on impoverished children.
• A new study says that conservatives are actually happier than liberals – and best-selling author Cliff Schecter will tell us why, for the Tea Party, ignorance is bliss.
• Labor activist Amy Dean will tell us about the fight to preserve our public school system.
• And the American Legislative Exchange Council just celebrated 4 decades of corrupting our political process, and Brendan Fischer from the Center for Media and Democracy will tell us about the destruction the group has caused in the last 40 years
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Aug 3, 2013 Sundays at NOON!
»» Investigative journalist Rick Outzen talks about the countless crimes of BP, and their use of victim-shaming with their handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
»» Attorney Howard Nations will discuss the scam that is payday lending services, and how they prey upon the poor.
»» Attorney Mike Burg will tell us about the Republicans’ inner squabbling that is crippling the Party.
»» And attorney Ara Jabagchourian will explain the destructive practices of “Patent Trolls.”
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at email@example.com if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Wall Street’s Commodity Manipulation (VIDEO) This interview originally aired on the August 11th, 2013 episode of Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV. Ring of Fire host Mike Papantonio and attorney Mike Burg discuss Wall Street’s latest scam to increase their profits by inflating the price of consumer goods.
• VIDEO! Seder: Lying James Clapper To Possibly Head Spying Reform Program (VIDEO) Sam Seder and Cliff Schecter discuss Obama’s recent allusions of allowing James Clapper to head the Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technology.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Aug 17, 2013 featuring the top stories from Ring of Fire from the past week.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 8/12/13 Vijay Prashad: US Wants Global Poverty Wages & Rainey Reitman: What Went Missing In Obama's NSA's Speech
• TUESDAY 8/13/13 Radley Balko: Rise Of The Warrior Cop
• WEDNESDAY 8/14/13 James Goodale, NYT Pentagon Paper Atty :Fighting For The Press
• THURSDAY 8/15/13 Egypt's Coup Regime Cracksdown & Russia's Anti Gay Push
• FRIDAY 8/16/13 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Isabel Gillies
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here!
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• Some Verrrry Interesting Points to Make About Spiralling Higher Education Costs by Stacy Herbert - First of all, this sentence: As we’ve reported before, colleges are increasingly directing their aid to wealthier families—who need it least—in a bid to increase revenue and raise their prestige (though it doesn’t necessarily fetch smarter students).The world over has an ingrained prejudice toward ‘the wealthy,’ and so privilege and ‘prestige’ are thrust upon them by the entire system around them, compounding their advantage. Of course, those who watch Fox News will find ways to justify these facts evident in the every day life around us, but, if it didn’t exist, then George W. Bush would never have been president. FACT. READ Are College Costs Reaching a Breaking Point? (businessweek.com)
• You’re pathologically ill. Ben Bernanke. Lloyd Blankfein. Ben Bernanke. Lloyd Blankfein. Jamie Dimon. by Stacy Herbert - Stacy Summary: Found this clip from a Keiser Report episode back in the 100s. This is one of the upsides of shooting in front of a green screen. Can’t do this now that we have a live backdrop. Maybe we ought to shoot a few in chroma studio just for a few of these . . .
• The Incident. With Max Keiser. by Stacy Herbert - Stacy Summary: Filmed at our studio yesterday. Part two coming later today. And the second half in which you get to meet most of the behind the camera Keiser Report team!
• USA: 60 percent of homes sold in 2013 went to all cash buyers by Stacy Herbert - Stacy Summary: This is what interest rate apartheid looks like. READ USA: 60 percent of homes sold in 2013 went to all cash buyers (doctorhousingbubble.com)
• KEISER REPORT [KR483] Keiser Report: Wet Wipes for Incontinent Banksters We discuss the Fatberg of Fraud clogging up the global financial system and JPMorgan’s role in depositing the wet wipes of financial products into that system. In the second half, Max talks to Rob Kirby of KirbyAnalytics.com about Mark Carney and his merry band of bankers as the Lone Ranger box office disaster, they’ve all made their fees while the shareholders and stakeholders eat the losses. Kirby also predicts lower rates due to central bank intervention via Interest Rate Swaps and Forward Rate Agreements.
• KEISER REPORT [KR484] Keiser Report: Mind-Controlled Rat(e)s We discuss boycotting and shrugging in response to the total surveillance state where even the ‘progressive’ recycling bins are following you. They look at the email service providers who committed corporate suicide and destroyed their assets rather than collaborate in ‘crimes against the American people.’ In the second half, Max talks to John Butler, author of The Golden Revolution, about interest rates, bonds and gold.
• KEISER REPORT [KR485] Keiser Report: UK ‘Cult of Mark Carney’ We discuss how the ‘cult’ of Mark Carney is leading to food inflation, as well as housewives outstripping inflation. Meanwhile, George Osborne’s welfare reforms see £11.8 billion ‘saved’ from housing benefits, while £12 billion of taxpayer money is set aside to subsidize mortgages of up to £600,000 for the second phase of the Help to Buy scheme. In the second half of the program, Max talks to Simon Rose of SaveOurSavers.co.uk about forward guidance, real inflation, and George Osborne’s speculative schemes.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1286] The Truth About Markets – 27 July 2013 Stacy Summary: Forgot to post this yesterday! In this episode, the conversation is quite wide ranging. We ruminate a bit on the great aluminum vs aluminium debate. We talk about Business Secretary, Vince Cable, accusing the Bank of England of being ‘capital Taliban.’ We also discuss the latest in hacking cars. Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday, excluding Thursday, from 12-2 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show 8/12/13 Hanni Fakhoury: Hanni Fakhoury, Staff Attorney with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, discusses the many governmental agencies privy to NSA surveillance information on ordinary Americans; how law enforcement “launders” NSA intelligence to re-create a criminal evidence trail; and how the Bill of Rights is being eviscerated by the law failing to keep up with technology.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 8/13/13 Antonio Buehler: Antonio Buehler, co-founder of the Peaceful Streets Project, discusses his efforts to bring accountability to out-of-control law enforcement; looking at cops through the eyes of black Americans; the latest Austin, TX police murder; and the 2013 Project Police Accountability Summit in Austin on August 17th.
• SCOTT HORTON July 5, 2012: Scott says goodbye to Antiwar.com. Scott Horton is the former host of Antiwar Radio. Visit his blog Stress. Due to budget cuts Scott lost his gig at AntiWarRadio.com! Whoa! See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Sen Rand Paul (R-KY)
• Congressman Pete King (R-NY)
• Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml