Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Corporate Take-over Seems domestic and global corporations are taking over everything! More on this is a bit. First some weather news.
Radiation from Japan nuclear plant arrives on Alaska coast - Scientists concerned about lack of monitoring plan
Scientists at the University of Alaska are concerned about radiation leaking from Japan's damaged Fukushima nuclear plant, and the lack of a monitoring plan. Some radiation has arrived in northern Alaska and along the west coast. That's raised concern over contamination of fish and wildlife. More may be heading toward coastal communities like Haines and Skagway. Douglas Dasher, a researcher at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, says radiation levels in Alaskan waters could reach Cold War levels. "The levels they are projecting in some of the models are in the ballpark of what they saw in the North Pacific in the 1960s," he said. John Kelley, a professor emeritus at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, says he's not sure contamination will reach dangerous levels for humans but says without better data, who will know? "The data they will need is not only past data but current data, and if no one is sampling anything then we won't really know it, will we? "The general concern was, is the food supply safe? And I don't think anyone can really answer that definitively." He says much of the monitoring is being done pro bono by universities, NGOs and state organizations. Not good.
The Department of Energy now is now offering a Rooftop Solar Challlenge Teams from across the country are taking the Rooftop Solar Challenge to make installing rooftop solar photovoltaics (PV) easier, faster, and more affordable for homeowners and businesses. Complex permitting and grid connection processes increase the cost of solar energy systems and limit the growth of the solar industry. With support from the SunShot Initiative, these teams are working to reduce administrative barriers to residential and small commercial PV solar installations by streamlining, standardizing, and digitizing administrative processes.The Rooftop Solar Challenge is part of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) SunShot Initiative, which seeks to make solar electricity cost-competitive with traditional energy sources by the end of the decade. Good item especially if you're going to need a new roof soon!
At Weather Underground Michele Berger finds The 10 Most Toxic Places in the World Some of the most toxic places in the world can feel like worlds away, a river delta in Nigeria, for example, or an e-waste dumpsite in Ghana. The Blacksmith Institute, a pollution-focused nonprofit, in collaboration with Green Cross Switzerland, selected 10 of the world’s most toxic sites to highlight. In years past, the groups have concentrated on types of pollution. This year, the intent was to choose places where the polluting hazards posed real danger to real people and places. "More than 200,000 people are at risk of exposure to toxic pollution globally," said Jack Caravanos, director of research at Blacksmith Institute, during a news conference. ......
Jethro Mullen at CNN reports Super Typhoon Haiyan, one of strongest storms ever, hits central Philippines With 25 million people in its path, Super Typhoon Haiyan -- one of the strongest storms recorded on the planet -- smashed into the Philippines on Friday morning. As the storm plowed across the cluster of islands in the heart of the country, casualties were reported, more than 100,000 people took shelter in evacuation centers and hundreds of flights were canceled. The storm brought tremendously powerful winds roaring ashore as it made landfall in the province of Eastern Visayas, disrupting communications with a major city in its path. With sustained winds of 315 kph (195 mph) and gusts as strong as 380 kph (235 mph), Haiyan was probably the strongest tropical cyclone to hit land anywhere in the world in recorded history. It will take further analysis after the storm passes to establish whether it is a record. ....... Haiyan, known in the Philippines as Yolanda, appeared to retain much of its terrifying force as it moved west over the country, with sustained winds of 295 kph, gusts as strong as 360 kph. Haiyan's wind strength makes it equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane. ......... Gov. Roger Mercado of Southern Leyte, a province in Eastern Visayas, said Friday morning that "all roads" were impassable because of fallen trees. ........ "We don't know the extent of the damage," Mercaod said. "We are trying to estimate this. We are prepared, but this is really a wallop."
Steve Horn at DeSmogBlog writes this scary chilling item Coal Baron and Major Ken Cuccinelli Campaign Donor Sues Blogger for Defamation, Invasion of Privacy ........... In the piece published on The Huffington Post, Stark points to the $30,000 that Murray Energy has given Cuccinelli, as well as Robert Murray's campaign work on behalf of 2012 Republican Party presidential nominee Mitt Romney. Stark also covers Murray's call for the impeachment of President Obama at a recent speaking engagement, along with his firing of 150 workers after Obama's 2012 victory over Mitt Romney and the prayer he offered the U.S. public after Obama's 2012 victory. The rationale behind the defamation suit for Murray boils down to Stark and The HuffPost referring to Murray as an "extremist" and pointing to the firing of the 150 Murray Energy workers as a potential "fulfillment of a promise" after the 2012 presidential election. ........... On November 1, attorneys representing Mike Stark hit back. (The HuffPost has its own set of attorneys working on its behalf who will respond soon.) They have requested that the judge of record for the case issue an order to dismiss the case on its face, also asking the judge for a date in court to hear out an oral argument between Stark and the Murray Plaintiffs on the motion to dismiss. Stark's motion was brought to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, Eastern Division, where the case was removed from the Belmont County Court of Common Pleas, the site Murray originally brought his complaint to. ACLU of Ohio and Halperin open up the motion to dismiss with a bang. "Stark's article contains no false statements of fact, nor is it misleading, nor does it place Murray in a false light," they wrote. "More importantly, for purposes of this Motion to Dismiss, the statements in the article about which Plaintiffs complain are not assertions of fact. Rather, the Complaint takes issue only with opinions offered by Stark in the article." The rest of the argument tackles the distinction between a straightforward news piece and the opinion-based nature of Stark's article and pieces published in The Huffington Post. Citing a litany of cases, Stark's attorneys point to a simple fact: Opinion pieces both in the state of Ohio and as enshrined by the U.S. Supreme Court are essentially legally immune from defamation suits. .......... It's a classic case of the "chilling effect," with the defense noting Murray has at least two other defamation lawsuits pending in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, also filing suit in 2012 and eventually settling with prominent Charleston Gazette reporter and author of the "Coal Tattoo" blog, Ken Ward, Jr. "To the extent that this lawsuit may have the purpose or the effect of chilling free speech on matters of public concern, it is precisely the kind of situation the courts have sought to address," the defense wrote in its conclusion. Under the federal court rules, a response to a motion is due 14 days after the motion is filed, meaning Murray's attorneys have until November 15 to rebut the defense's motion to dismiss. Also listen to Bob Kincaid's interview with Steve Horn on Moran Monday show starting around the bottom of Hour One. And Steve Horn rips the facade off this greenwashing attempt MSNBC "Leans Forward" Into Running "Native Ads" Promoting Fracking. And in a related matter Climate Progress's Joe Romm marks his scorecard Mann 2, Cuccinelli 0: Climate Denial Becomes Wedge Issue, As Hockey Stick Beats Tea Party The pro-science side has won the latest skirmish in the climate wars. In a tight race where climate denial became a focus, pro-science candidate Terry McAuliffe was elected governor of Virginia over anti-science candidate Ken Cuccinelli, who infamously launched a (losing) witch hunt against leading climatologist Michael Mann. And in a timely coincidence, that most vindicated of climate scientists has just published the paperback version of his excellent new book, The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars. Anyone who wants to be informed about real climate science and the state of the climate fight should get a copy here. ....... Mann, who is now 2-for-2 in his battles with Cuccinelli, said of his anti-science nemesis, “I am pleased that Virginia voters rejected his dangerous brand of politics & his contempt for science & rational thought.” Lincoln was right, “you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.” The Union of Concerned Scientists has a good piece on this, “Can Attacking Scientists Be a Political Liability?” as does the UK Guardian, “Virginia governor’s race shows global warming science denial is a losing political stance.”
At Reuters Nicholas Vinocur tells us S&P lowers France credit rating, cites slow reform pace Standard & Poor's cut France's sovereign credit rating on Friday by one notch to AA from AA+, giving a thumbs-down to President Francois Hollande's efforts to put the euro zone's second largest economy back on track. All three major rating agencies had already stripped France of its top-grade triple-A status. S&P is the first to downgrade it for a second time, warning that the economic reforms of the past year were not sufficient to lift growth. "We believe the French government's reforms to taxation, as well as to product, services, and labor markets, will not substantially raise France's medium-term growth prospects," S&P said in a statement. "Ongoing high unemployment is weakening support for further significant fiscal and structural policy measures," it added. Hollande's Socialist-led government has enacted a modest reform of France's rigid labor market and a review of its generous pension system aimed at narrowing funding shortfalls. But the latter reform in particular was less than expected by the European Commission, which this year urged Paris to make structural reforms in return for giving it an extra two years to bring its public deficit within EU targets. The downgrade applies to France's long-term foreign and local currency debt ratings. S&P said the probability of a further rating action on France over the next two years was less than one in three......
FARM BILL UPDATE: Watch Ring of Fire's Mike Papantonio on The Big Picture's Wednesday show Killing the Poor... and Killing the Poor...P.2.
GOPher WAR ON WOMEN UPDATE: Adele M.Stan details the Anatomy of the War on Women: How the Koch Brothers Are Funding the Anti-Choice Agenda in a very long post. .........While the religious right had, over the years, used its influence to restrict access to abortion and contraception and push for feticide and personhood laws, nothing quite like the anti-choice legislative frenzy seen this past summer had taken place before the Koch brothers entered the war, bringing reinforcements from their legion of wealthy associates. .......... To the untrained eye, it seemed that a sudden wildfire of anti-choice bills had engulfed the legislative agenda, but in truth the assault had been years, even decades, in the making. It wasn’t until three years ago, however, that conditions became so hospitable for the arsonists who trained their flame-throwers on these fundamental freedoms. In 2010, three key events created the incendiary political landscape that fueled this summer’s inferno: the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down campaign finance restrictions in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, elections at the state and federal levels that rode the winds of backlash against the 2008 election of Barack Obama, and the subsequent census-year victories of right-wing Republicans whose gains in state legislatures and governors’ mansions gave them control of the process for drawing legislative and congressional districts. There is little doubt that the rash of anti-choice measures that flooded the legislative dockets in state capitols in 2013 was a coordinated effort by anti-choice groups and major right-wing donors lurking anonymously behind the facades of the non-profit “social welfare” organizations unleashed to tear up the political landscape, thanks to the high court’s decision in Citizens United. .......... RH Reality Check’s review of tax records filed by the Center to Protect Patient Rights (CPPR), taken together with a Politico report on the tax records of Freedom Partners, show these so-called free-market organizations, both linked to the Koch brothers, dispensing tens of millions of dollars to groups whose mission it is to end reproductive rights. ......... By its name, you might take the Koch-linked CPPR—now apparently defunct, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics—as yet another astroturf group launched to oppose Obamacare. Run by longtime Koch political operative Sean Noble, CPPR was indeed that, but it was much, much more. Known in political parlance as a pass-through group, CPPR was used by big, unnamed donors to pass money to other organizations, apparently as a means of further obscuring the original source of the funding. RH Reality Check, examining CPPR’s tax filings, confirmed reporting by NARAL Pro-Choice America and American Bridge that in 2010, it granted more than $1 million to the Susan B. Anthony (SBA) List, about half of the $2 million the group spent that year on advertising for anti-choice candidates and against pro-choice candidates in state and federal races across the country. The CPPR grant accounted for nearly 15 percent of the group’s overall revenues that year. ......... So where does CPPR get its money? Like other 501(c)(4) non-profits, it doesn’t have to disclose its donors. But tax filings from Freedom Partners, a 501(c)(6) organization, show, according to an investigation by Politico’s Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei , that since November 2011 CPPR took in some $115 million from Freedom Partners, which Politico editors dubbed “the Koch brothers’ secret bank.” And lest you think CPPR’s $1.5 million grant to the CWALAC was extraordinarily generous, Freedom Partners also gifted CWALAC with more than $8 million since Freedom Partners’ founding in late 2011, according to the Politico report. That would make Freedom Partners a sort of granddaddy pass-through group, providing pass-through money to another pass-through organization—CPPR—which, in turn, gave $1.5 million of granddaddy’s money to an anti-choice group, CWALAC, to which granddaddy had already given millions. ...... Much much more!
Over at the NSA the hits just keep coming! Scott Shane at the NYT reports No Morsel Too Minuscule for All-Consuming N.S.A. ...... emblematic of an agency that for decades has operated on the principle that any eavesdropping that can be done on a foreign target of any conceivable interest — now or in the future — should be done. After all, American intelligence officials reasoned, who’s going to find out? From thousands of classified documents, the National Security Agency emerges as an electronic omnivore of staggering capabilities, eavesdropping and hacking its way around the world to strip governments and other targets of their secrets, all the while enforcing the utmost secrecy about its own operations. It spies routinely on friends as well as foes, as has become obvious in recent weeks; the agency’s official mission list includes using its surveillance powers to achieve “diplomatic advantage” over such allies as France and Germany and “economic advantage” over Japan and Brazil, among other countries. .......... James R. Clapper Jr., the director of national intelligence, has repeatedly dismissed such objections as brazen hypocrisy from countries that do their own share of spying. But in a recent interview, he acknowledged that the scale of eavesdropping by the N.S.A., with 35,000 workers and $10.8 billion a year, sets it apart. “There’s no question that from a capability standpoint we probably dwarf everybody on the planet, just about, with perhaps the exception of Russia and China,” he said. Since Edward J. Snowden began releasing the agency’s documents in June, the unrelenting stream of disclosures has opened the most extended debate on the agency’s mission since its creation in 1952. The scrutiny has ignited a crisis of purpose and legitimacy for the N.S.A., the nation’s largest intelligence agency, and the White House has ordered a review of both its domestic and its foreign intelligence collection. While much of the focus has been on whether the agency violates Americans’ privacy, an issue under examination by Congress and two review panels, the anger expressed around the world about American surveillance has prompted far broader questions. If secrecy can no longer be taken for granted, when does the political risk of eavesdropping overseas outweigh its intelligence benefits? Should foreign citizens, many of whom now rely on American companies for email and Internet services, have any privacy protections from the N.S.A.? Will the American Internet giants’ collaboration with the agency, voluntary or otherwise, damage them in international markets? And are the agency’s clandestine efforts to weaken encryption making the Internet less secure for everyone? Matthew M. Aid, an intelligence historian and author of a 2009 book on the N.S.A., said there is no precedent for the hostile questions coming at the agency from all directions. “From N.S.A.’s point of view, it’s a disaster,” Mr. Aid said. “Every new disclosure reinforces the notion that the agency needs to be reined in. There are political consequences, and there will be operational consequences.” A review of classified agency documents obtained by Mr. Snowden and shared with The New York Times by The Guardian, offers a rich sampling of the agency’s global operations and culture. (At the agency’s request, The Times is withholding some details that officials said could compromise intelligence operations.) ....... READ ON! WOW! See Scott Shane's interview on DN! below!
Wired's MARVIN AMMORI alerts us that We’re About to Lose Net Neutrality — And the Internet as We Know It Net neutrality is a dead man walking. The execution date isn’t set, but it could be days, or months (at best). And since net neutrality is the principle forbidding huge telecommunications companies from treating users, websites, or apps differently — say, by letting some work better than others over their pipes — the dead man walking isn’t some abstract or far-removed principle just for wonks: It affects the internet as we all know it. Once upon a time, companies like AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, and others declared a war on the internet’s foundational principle: that its networks should be “neutral” and users don’t need anyone’s permission to invent, create, communicate, broadcast, or share online. The neutral and level playing field provided by permissionless innovation has empowered all of us with the freedom to express ourselves and innovate online without having to seek the permission of a remote telecom executive. But today, that freedom won’t survive much longer if a federal court — the second most powerful court in the nation behind the Supreme Court, the DC Circuit — is set to strike down the nation’s net neutrality law, a rule adopted by the Federal Communications Commission in 2010. Some will claim the new solution “splits the baby” in a way that somehow doesn’t kill net neutrality and so we should be grateful. But make no mistake: Despite eight years of public and political activism by multitudes fighting for freedom on the internet, a court decision may soon take it away. Game of Loopholes and Rules - How did we get here?................. It looks like we’ll end up where AT&T initially began: a false compromise. The implications of such a decision would be profound. Web and mobile companies will live or die not on the merits of their technology, but on the deals they can strike with AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, and others. This means large phone and cable companies will be able to “shakedown” startups and established companies in every sector, requiring payment for reliable service. In fact, during the oral argument in the current case, Verizon’s lawyer said, “I’m authorized to state from my client today that but for these [FCC] rules we would be exploring those types of arrangements.” Wait, it gets even worse. ......... Much more! Required Reading!
EFF's MARK M. JAYCOX explains Three Leaks, Three Weeks, and What We've Learned About the US Government's Other Spying Authority: Executive Order 12333 A Washington Post article reveals that the National Security Agency has been siphoning off data from the links between Yahoo and Google data centers, which include the fiber optic connections between company servers at various points around the world. While the user may have an encrypted connection to the website, the internal data flows were not encrypted and allowed the NSA to obtain millions of records each month, including both metadata and content like audio, video and text. This is not part of the PRISM collection under Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Amendments Act or the business records program under Section 215 of the Patriot Act, but a separate program called MUSCULAR under what appears to be Executive Order 12333 ("12333"). The new article comes off of another recent Washington Post report on another piece of data the NSA collects about innocent Americans: contacts from their address books and buddy lists. The information is in addition to Americans' calling records, phone calls, emails, and any other information publicly available on the Internet. And it's yet another sign that the NSA will stop at nothing to collect innocent Americans' information—all in the name of protecting us from foreign threats. The details from the Washington Post reveal the NSA's collection is "likely to be in the millions or tens of millions" of Americans' contacts. The NSA is helped, in a way, because your contacts aren't always encrypted when you sync them from your laptop or mobile devices to your online account. The Post's articles provide a vital supplement to a recent New York Times story, which revealed NSA using Americans metadata collected under its spying programs to map social networks. ......... The NSA is using 12333 in at least two different ways (and probably many more). It's using the supposed authority the order grants to collect information like the data center links, and Americans' address books and contacts because that information is considered "foreign intelligence." The definition is used in both FISA and in 12333, and is an incredibly broad term. The Administration is also using 12333 to create secret guidelines—without the approval of Congress—for when, why, and how the NSA can use Americans' information outside of the oversight of the FISA Court. One such guideline is called the Supplemental Procedures and Guidelines for Governing Metadata Analysis. It's a boring title, but the procedures supposedly "allow" the NSA to use the metadata collected under Section 215 and Section 702 to create social networks of Americans—and anyone else—for any "foreign intelligence" purpose. The New York Times reports that there are no restrictions on the use of such data. The guidelines were revealed last week when the Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Patrick Leahy, asked General James Clapper, the Director of National Intelligence, if the NSA compiled "profiles or dossiers on American people through the use of its intelligence authorities?" Gen. Clapper answered (video) "in every case for valid foreign intelligence purposes." Gen. Alexander followed up explaining NSA only uses "foreign information to understand what the foreign nexus is of a problem set that we're looking at." Unlike Gen. Clapper, what Gen. Alexander left unsaid was that "foreign information" includes your contacts and address books. .......... Put together, these revelations show users how NSA thinks it can collect any and all information—including innocent Americans' information. ....... Read all of this at EFF.org! WOW!
Yves Smith writes that The Global Corporatocracy is Almost Fully Operational Yves here. I hope you don’t mind additional coverage of the pending trade pacts, this from a European perspective. This is bar none the single most important geopolitical initiative underway, yet it’s getting virtually no media play. While this discussion overlaps with our chat on Bill Moyers, many of you have friends, family members, and colleagues who don’t have time to watch a video but would read an article. Please use whatever route you think will work best with the people you know to get the word out. By Don Quijones, a freelance writer and translator based in Barcelona, Spain. His blog, Raging Bull-Shit, is a modest attempt to challenge some of the wishful thinking and scrub away the lathers of soft soap peddled by our political and business leaders and their loyal mainstream media. Cross posted from Testosterone Pit: In the last month alone world leaders from 12 countries, including the U.S., Australia, Japan, New Zealand and Mexico, pledged to sign the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) by the end of the year. On the other side of the globe, meanwhile, Europe has signed a sweeping free trade agreement with Canada. And what’s more, despite all the furore over allegations of NSA and GCHQ spying on European national leaders, most EU member states are determined to ensure that the fallout from the scandal does not derail ongoing talks for a Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), a treaty that would effectively knit together countries with nearly half the world’s GDP into a massive free-trade zone. Indeed, the president of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, has already suggested that it may be necessary to temporarily suspend negotiations — not out of concern for joining in partnership with a nation whose recent actions have betrayed every possible notion of mutual trust, but rather out of fear that continued negotiations in the current climate could feed anti-free trade sentiment: “If such events continue, and more news comes out, I fear that those who are against the free trade agreement in principle will become the majority,” said Schulz during last week’s EU summit. “My advice is to stop for a moment and discuss how we can avoid such a development.” All of which begs the question: why all the sudden newfound enthusiasm for more free trade? Even more important, why all the secrecy? Why are our leaders desperately reconfiguring the legal super structures of global trade without either consulting their respective voting constituencies or even divulging what is actually up for grabs in the negotiations? .......... The message could not be clearer: to paraphrase the late, great Bill Hicks, go back to bed America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. Your governments are in control. The Real Agenda As for the few insomniacs who remain fully awake, the real end game in this new age of “free” trade (or otherwise put, corporate protectionism) is becoming clearer and clearer. According to Andrew Gavin Marshall, these new agreements have little to do with actual “trade,” and everything to do with expanding the rights and powers of large corporations:
- Corporations have become powerful economic and political entities – competing in size and wealth with the world’s largest national economies – and thus have taken on a distinctly ‘cosmopolitical’ nature.
- Thousands of EU and US companies have affiliates across the Atlantic; under TTIP they could make investor-state claims via these affiliates in order to compel their own governments to refrain from regulations they dislike.
Writing for Moyers & Company Joshua Holland goes Inside the Dark Money-Fueled, 50-State Campaign Against American Workers In 2010, a wave election propelled tea party-endorsed candidates into statehouses across the country. Last week, the Economic Policy Institute issued the first comprehensive report surveying the impact that conservative legislation has had on workers’ rights in the past two years. “The Legislative Attack on American Wages and Labor Standards, 2011–2012” reveals the existence of a multifaceted, nationwide campaign to not only deprive working people of the right to join a union, but also keep wages low and make it harder for people to take their employers to court when they’ve been wronged. Moyers & Company caught up with the report’s author Gordon Lafer – a political economist at the University of Oregon’s Labor Education and Research Center – to discuss his findings. Below is a lightly edited transcript of our conversation. ........... Lafer: Right. The American Legislative Exchange Council, ALEC, writes model laws. They’ll have five or six different model laws about the same thing that are kind of calibrated to see what can pass in a given state at a given time. So on minimum wage, their end goal is to have there be no minimum wage at all, and they have a bill that says abolish the minimum wage, but, well, if you can’t pass that, at least don’t increase it in a way that’s linked to the rate of inflation and goes up every year. So we see, in every state, people experience these as if they come from their local legislator or as if they’re a response to the particular problems in their state, and in fact, the laws are being written largely by ALEC. And if you look behind ALEC — and all of this stuff is available to the public because there is a member of ALEC who was a whistle-blower and dumped a lot of the information that was supposed to be kept secret from the public out in the public domain — there’s a website called ALECexposed.org where you can see all the model bills. But if you look at the member companies behind them, it’s a bunch of the biggest and most powerful corporations in the country They work through ALEC, but they also work through the Chamber of Commerce and the Restaurant Association and a bunch of other business lobbies. And what we see is the same corporations are helping write the law, are funding the campaigns of the candidates, are funding state-level corporate-backed think tanks that put out white papers and talking points and offer talking heads to go on TV, and then they spend the unlimited money on ads on radio and TV. It’s a very well-coordinated campaign. Now, one of the things that I think is important to point out is that much of this is very unpopular when people have a chance to vote on the actual laws. ........ When we measure it, the total amount of money stolen out of American workers’ paychecks every year is far bigger than the total amount stolen in all the bank robberies, gas station robberies and convenience store robberies combined. It’s shocking how big it is and how much it impacts the low-wage labor market, and the corporate lobbies are working to see that it stays that way and that there’s no recourse for people who suffer from this.......
GOPher CANARD EXPOSED: Eric Boelhert at MediaMatters.org details how when Called On To Explain Big Story, Media Botches Obamacare The rocky rollout of Obamacare has prompted commentators to attack the president and his team for having three years to plan for the launch and still not getting it right. That's a legitimate critique as problems persist. But the same can be said for an awful lot of reporters doing a very poor job covering Obamacare. They also had three years to prepare themselves to accurately report the story. So what's their excuse? The truth is, the Beltway press rarely bothers to explain, let alone cover, public policy any more. With a media model that almost uniformly revolves around the political process of Washington (who's winning, who's losing?), journalists have distanced themselves from the grungy facts of governance, especially in terms of how government programs work and how they effect the citizenry. But explaining IS the job of journalism. It's one of the crucial roles that newsrooms play in a democracy. And in the recent case of Obamacare, the press has failed badly in its role. Worse, it has actively misinformed about the new health law and routinely highlighted consumers unhappy with Obamacare, while ignoring those who praise it. As Joshua Holland noted at Bill Moyers' website, "lazy stories of "sticker shock" and cancellations by reporters uninterested in the details of public policy only offer the sensational half of a complicated story, and that's providing a big assist to opponents of the law.
It's part of a troubling trend. Fresh off of blaming both sides for the GOP's wholly-owned, and thoroughly engineered, government shutdown, the press is now botching its Obamacare reporting by omitting key facts and context -- to the delight of Republicans. It's almost like there's a larger newsroom pattern in play. And this week the pattern revolved around trying to scare the hell out of people with deceiving claims about how Obamacare had forced insurance companies to "drop" clients and how millions of Americans had "lost" their coverage. Not quite....... READ ON and click all those links too!
Here's Bill Moyers Essay: Obamacare: The Right Wing’s Alamo WITH VIDEO for you to peruse!
Rolling Stone's John Knefel finds this Report: U.S. Doctors Participated in Torture After 9/11 Doctors, psychologists and other medical professionals participated in the U.S. government's controversial torture and interrogation programs following 9/11, according to a new joint report from a task force funded by the Institute of Medicine as a Profession and Open Society Foundations. The report also states that although President Barack Obama has rescinded the legal memos that once justified torture, problems remain with the Department of Defense's physician policies and procedures. The report is one of the most comprehensive publications to date that focuses exclusively on the role health professionals played in both the Department of Defense and CIA's detention and interrogation programs following 9/11. It was compiled using only publicly available information, and stresses that the picture is incomplete because so much information is still classified. .......... The report alleges that military and CIA physicians oversaw the torture of detainees to ensure they didn't suffer "severe harm" – a phrase that comes from a legal definition of torture, in contrast with the traditional professional responsibility of doctors to "do no harm." CIA medical personnel were tasked with being present for waterboarding to perform an emergency tracheotomy if interrogators damaged the detainee's windpipe. Thomson [professor of medicine at Columbia University and a member of the task force that authored the report] says that in his professional opinion, such guidelines are "patently ridiculous...... MORE!
AND Rolling Stone's Matthieu Aikins has this blockbuster The A Team killings....... six months after its arrival, the team would be forced out of Nerkh by the Afghan government, amid allegations of torture and murder against the local populace. If true, these accusations would amount to some of the gravest war crimes perpetrated by American forces since 2001. By February 2013, the locals claimed 10 civilians had been taken by U.S. Special Forces and had subsequently disappeared, while another eight had been killed by the team during their operations. .......... Officials at the American-led International Security Assistance Force, or ISAF, categorically denied these allegations, which came at an extremely delicate moment – as Afghan President Hamid Karzai and the American government were locked in still-unresolved negotiations over the future of American forces in Afghanistan. The sticking point has been the U.S.’s demand for continued legal immunity for its troops, which Karzai is reluctant to grant. Privately, some American officials have begun to grumble about a “zero option” – where, as in Iraq, the U.S. would rather withdraw all its forces than subject them to local law – but both sides understand that such an action could be suicidal for the beleaguered Afghan government and devastating for American power in the region. Yet a story like the one brewing in Nerkh has the potential to sabotage negotiations. ............over the past five months, Rolling Stone has interviewed more than two dozen eyewitnesses and victims’ families who’ve provided consistent and detailed allegations of the involvement of American forces in the disappearance of the 10 men, and has talked to Afghan and Western officials who were familiar with confidential Afghan-government, U.N. and Red Cross investigations that found the allegations credible. In July, a U.N. report on civilian casualties in Afghanistan warned: “The reported disappearances, arbitrary killings and torture – if proven to have been committed under the auspices of a party to the armed conflict – may amount to war crimes.” ..... HUGE!
Here are a few more items at Rolling Stone
- Republican Extremism and the Lessons of History By Sean Wilentz This crisis is about nothing other than the Republican Party – its radicalization, its stunning lack of leadership and its disregard for the Constitution
- Reports: U.S. Drone Strikes Violate Laws of War By John Knefel Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch examine air attacks in Yemen, Pakistan
- The Republicans' War on the Poor By Elizabeth Drew The GOP is pushing to decimate food-stamp programs, punishing the most vulnerable just out of sheer spite
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Scott Shane, national security reporter for The New York Times Inside the "Electronic Omnivore": New Leaks Show NSA Spying on U.N., Climate Summit, Text Messaging
- Exclusive Broadcast! "Wounds of Waziristan": Exclusive Broadcast of New Film on Pakistanis Haunted by U.S. Drone War We turn now to a new film called Wounds of Waziristan. It’s by Pakistani-American journalist Madiha Tahir. Madiha traveled to Northwest Pakistan to interview people affected by the U.S. drone war. Today we air the film in a Democracy Now! broadcast exclusive.
- Oliver Stone, three-time Academy Award-winning director, producer and screenwriter & Peter Kuznick, professor of history and director of the Nuclear Studies Institute at American University Oliver Stone on 50th Anniversary of JFK Assassination & the Untold History of the United States
- Stone & Kuznick Oliver Stone on His Next Project, a Martin Luther King Jr. Biopic with Jamie Foxx
- John Nichols, political writer for The Nation With Wins for de Blasio, Minimum Wage and Tea Party Losses, Voters Signal Rejection of Austerity
- Adhyl Polanco, an eight-year veteran in the New York City Police Department NYPD Officer Risks His Job to Speak Out Against "Stop-and-Frisk" Targeting of People of Color
- Matthieu Aikins, award-winning investigative journalist based in Kabul, Afghanistan War Crimes in Afghanistan? 10 Bodies of Abducted Villagers Found Outside U.S. Special Forces Base AND Torture on Tape: Disturbing Video Shows U.S. Special Forces Observing Brutal Afghan Interrogation
- Stephen Xenakis, a psychiatrist and retired brigadier general & Leonard Rubenstein, a senior scholar at the Center for Human Rights and Public Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Report: Military Doctors Designed, Enabled U.S. Torture of Prisoners at Guantánamo, Secret Prisons
- Dan Cantor, executive director of the Working Families Party "We Are Living in the World Occupy Made": New York City Voters Elect Mayor Who Vows to Tax the Rich
- Clyde Bellecourt, co-founder and director of the American Indian Movement & Dave Zirin, sports columnist for The Nation magazine Change the Mascot: Pressure Grows for NFL Team to Drop Redskins Name and Logo as Thousands Protest
- Dave Zirin "The NFL’s Bully Problem": Sports Columnist Dave Zirin Connects Violence in Sports to Rape Culture
- David Bronner, grandson of Dr. Bronner, who founded Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps Washington State Vote to Label GM Food Defeated By Corporations’ "Sophisticated Propaganda Machine"
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW The State of Female Justice in America 2013: Livestream RA livestream event as we explore why women experience economic, racial, and cultural violence; and ask ourselves what might real justice look like for women in America? more.....
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN Second-last race of The Chase and the season! NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Phoenix pres. by Quicken Loans from Phoenix International Raceway! Coverage begins at 3 pm et »»» SUNDAY FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA on NBC Cowboys @ Saints 8:30 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on ESPN Dolphins @ Buccanneers 8:30 pm et »»» NBA on TBS THURSDAY DOUBLEHEADER! Rockets @ Nets 8 pm et THEN Thunder @ Warriors 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Meet the New CISPA. Same as the Old CISPA. Last year, thanks to a public outcry, the effort to pass overreaching cybersecurity legislation stalled in the Senate. Now supporters have reintroduced the House version of that legislation — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). The “new” version is in fact identical to the original CISPA — and poses the same threat to our digital civil liberties. If CISPA becomes law, it will be a major blow to our online privacy. But more than that, CISPA’s passage would have a chilling effect on our freedom to connect online. We won’t feel as free to state unpopular opinions, or to speak truth to power, if we know that Big Brother could get a feed of everything we say and do. This is not what the free and open Internet is about. We must tell Congress: Vote NO on CISPA and bury this bill for good.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the Private Manning Support Network! August 26, 2013, By attorney David Coombs and the Private Manning Support Network (formerly the Bradley Manning Support Network). Additional clarification on PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's request regarding her gender and name. With your continued support, our network will continue its advocacy efforts in support our heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower through this new phase of her life. ....... UPDATE! Should we abandon WikiLeaks whistle-blower Pvt. Manning? November 7, 2013. By the Private Manning Support Network. If your answer is "no," then we need your help. This American prisoner of conscience has shared her specific personal and legal goals going forward, and we need to raise $40,000 to fund these efforts that include her legal fees, family visits, transitioning, and education. ..... AND Update 11/1/13: Protesters rally in DC and around world to support whistleblowers At last week's Stopwatching.us rally thousands demonstrated in support of whistleblowers and transparency, while calling on the NSA to end its mass surveillance programs. Organizers called it the largest rally against mass surveillance yet. .....
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
B R I C K T E E V E E The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,290 US Military Dead as of Nov 8, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R)
• Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R)
• Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chair Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J.
• ROUNDTABLE: ABC News’ Cokie Roberts, Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn., Wall Street Journal editorial page editor Paul Gigot, Republican strategist and CNN contributor Ana Navarro, and New York Magazine’s John Heilemann
• Sunday Spotlight: actor John Goodman and the cast of the new Amazon series “Alpha House” about a group of senators sharing a Capitol Hill rowhouse, inspired by the real life of Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Sunday: New Jersey Governor Chris Christie
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• 60 Minutes apologizes for Benghazi report
• 210 Days in Captivity - Matthew Schrier's kidnapping, torture and escape from Syrian rebels provides a rare first-hand look into the brutal ways of the extremist rebel factions battling the Syrian dictatorship. Scott Pelley reports. Graham Messick is the producer.
• Capturing History - The freelance photographer was a fly on the wall of history, whose images, especially of JFK and the Beatles, remain iconic landmarks of a ripe period in American history. Morley Safer reports. David Browning is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• EXCLUSIVE: Secretary of State John Kerry
• New Jersey Republican Governor Chris Christie
• ROUNDTABLE: Doris Kearns Goodwin; Congresswoman Donna Edwards (D-MD); Time Magazine’s Mark Halperin; and host of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” Joe Scarborough.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines and at noon ET.
• Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
• DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz
• RNC Chair Reince Preibus
• Former Senate Republican leader and presidential candidate Bob Dole
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• FRONT PORCH FRIDAY!! Pull up a cold one! Listen NOW HERE - Thursday, October 31st, 2013 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - November 7, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: ELECTION 2013: the first climate election? Climate science denier Ken Cuccinelli defeated in VA; Local races with big environmental impacts for the country; PLUS: We're goin' the wrong way!!! Greenhouse gas emissions rise to record levels... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Fukushima cleanup enters dangerous phase; Western black rhino now extinct; Fossil fuels get $500B annual subsidies; China solar panel makers invest in solar farms; New investment project for North Africa solar; Whopping CO2 footprint for Australian coal mines; Debating 'Pandora's Promise'; PA gives fracking industry $1 billion; ExxonMobil fined $2 million for AR pipeline spill ... PLUS: It's time to adapt to unstoppable climate change, say scientists ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - November 5, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Climate scientists go nuclear; Coal spills & kills; Obama announces major new climate action; UN's latest warning; PLUS: Germany breaks its own clean energy record --- again ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Finally! '60 Minutes' Pulls Benghazi Story Off Website Says 'learned of new info that undermines' already-discredited exclusive. UPDATE: CBS reporter Logan admits 'we were wrong' | UPDATE2: CBS' RW publisher pulls book...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Tallying VA's 'Missing' Op-Scan Votes; And Other Surprises in the Incredibly Close VA AG Election Officials in Fairfax County confirmed Diebold op-scan failure was behind 'missing' votes; 3000 now added in incredibly close race...but there was another surprise on Friday...
• BRADCAST! KPFK 'BradCast': 60 Minutes' Benghazi 'Trainwreck'; Lessons of Election 2013 Media Matters' Eric Boehlert and DownWithTyranny's Howie Klein join Brad to talk media failure, progressive wins & more...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment 7 Nov 2013 PBC News & Comment: A T & T Sells Phone Records to CIA for Big Bucks NY Times confirms what we’ve known: AT & T and other phone companies are paid millions by CIA for phone records ….
• PBC News & Comment 8 Nov 2013 PBC News & Comment: Gov. Don Siegelman Speaks Up for “Courageous Journalist” Roger Shuler In message from federal prison, former Gov. Don Siegelman voices strong support for jailed journalist Roger Shuler …
• PBC Standard Podcast Nov. 6, 2013 Bill Ayers, Target of Political Smear in 2008, Talks About New Book “Public Enemy” and Much More
• PBC Standard Podcast Nov. 8, 2013 Jon Eisenberg, Attorney for Guantanamo Hunger Strikers, Challenges Force Feeding and More
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Nov. 8, 2013 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
• Author and journalist Alexis Goldstein will tell us how Wall Street banks were allowed to write legislation to deregulate their industry.
• Emmy Award-winning documentary filmmaker Sue Wilson will join us to talk about the desperate need for broadcast media reform.
• Investigative journalist Gary Younge will tell us why our national policies are killing the poor.
• And John Walke from the NRDC will talk to us about the coal industry’s assault on public health.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Nov 8, 2013 Sundays at NOON! This week we’ll be revisiting our interviews with some of the best progressive authors of 2013.
»» This week, Farron Cousins, contributing writer at DeSmogBlog.com and executive editor at The Trial Lawyer Magazine, will be filling in for Pap.
»» Attorneys Howard Nations and Mike Burg discuss the GOP’s long-standing war on the government, and why it is time to stop attacking our own democracy.
»» Author Cliff Schecter will discuss about the ongoing fight to protect America’s social safety net programs.
»» Attorney Nancy Fineman will explain the potential charges coming for banks like JP for their participation in Madoff-style ponzi schemes.
»» Elliot Fineman, President of the National Gun Victims Action Council, will discuss the increasing amount of gun violence in America, and Congress’s failure to take action on the subject.
»» Alternet world editor Alex Kane will talk about the use of drones by the Obama administration, and how recent reports have showed that strikes in Yemen and Pakistan were completely unjustified.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on November 9, 2013 by Joshua Schwitzerlett - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at email@example.com if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• Julian Assange Rails Against Biopic “The Fifth Estate” Next Friday, the Dreamworks produced biopic of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is set to release in theaters. “The Fifth Estate” is based on the early days and creation of Wikileaks, however, Assange has spoken out against the film and also sent a letter to the film’s lead actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Assange. In the letter, Assange decries the film and says that he does “not believe it is going to be positive for me or the people I care about. . . It is based on a deceitful book by someone who has a vendetta against me and my organisation.” MORE!
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Wall Street Psychopaths Destroying America (VIDEO) There was a great article written this week by Gary Younge. He pointed out that Charles Munger, the billionaire chairman of Berkshire Hathaway, said that there was really no need to bail out poor, hungry people from an economic standpoint because as he put it “life is a little harder than it used to be and people need to suck it up and cope with it.” In the same breath, one of America’s new Wall Street cretins pointed out that it is critically important that taxpayers continue to subsidize other fat cat Wall Street types. ...... MORE!
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Media Spin Won’t Change Chris Christie’s Extremism (VIDEO) Mike Papantonio appears on The Ed Show on MSNBC alongside Brad Woodhouse and Ruth Conniff to discuss the media’s love affair with Chris Christie, and their attempts to paint this extremist as a moderate in today’s Republican Party.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 11/4/13 Eric Stern: Fact Checking the Fox News Lie Machine
• TUESDAY 11/5/13 Elections, ENDA & Bologna
• WEDNESDAY 11/6/13 Adele Stan: How the Koch Brothers Fund the War on Women
• THURSDAY 11/7/13 Craig Steven Wilder: Ebony and Ivy: Slavery, and the Troubled History of America’s Universities
• FRIDAY 11/8/13 Casual Friday: Guy Lawson & Aasif Mandvi
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here!
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• VIDEO! Max Keiser on Digital Apartheid in The New Millenium by maxkeiser
• Silk Road 2.0 Has Been Born…New Website Mocks the Feds by Michael Krieger of Liberty Blitzkrieg - The “authorities” can shut down website after website, but the tide of new technology and the human spirit itself cannot and will not be overcome. This is the hard lesson that statists and collectivists will be learning the hard way in the years to come, as decentralization and freedom stage a gigantic, peaceful revolution. A revolution that is already in full swing and gaining tremendous momentum with each passing day… Read more here.
• VIDEO! No Joke: Ed Miliband shows complete mastery of media; attacking Big Oil, Wonga and the tabloid press… Say hello to UK’s next PM by maxkeiser
• KEISER REPORT [KR519] Keiser Report: State Sanctioned Profits We “remember, remember it’s yet again the 5th of November and banksters and conmen still rule” whether with Obamacare’s privatization of healthcare or private equity as the new slumlord toll collectors. In the second half, Max interviews Charles Hugh Smith about peak retirement, peak jobs and the chances of China holding the next reserve currency.
• KEISER REPORT [KR520] Keiser Report: Debtonomics of Suicide We discuss burning matches at stall speed as the US is now producing as much new debt as goods and services and the rate of currency dilution exceeds the rate of production growth. And what happens when an Empire hits ‘stall speed?’ They plunder and steal from workers and savers through inflation; or through the NSA ‘surveillance.’ In the second half, Max interviews Wolf Richter of TestosteronePit.com about the ongoing and escalating economic fallout from the NSA spying scandal.
• KEISER REPORT [KR521] Keiser Report: Net Worth Enemas & Monetizing Bulimia We discuss net worth enemas and monetizing bulimia in an economy in which the central bank QE beatings will continue until morale improves. In the second half, Max interviews Zac Goldsmith, a Member of Parliament for Richmond Park, about the danger of boycotting democracy, which is that it is guaranteed to take you away from democracy. In response to such anti-democracy sentiments, Zac has launched an e-petition to introduce a proper Recall mechanism for MPs. They also discuss being pro-market not pro-corporatism and how it is that investment companies are hoarding rhino horns to benefit from the economics of extinction.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1294] The Truth About Propaganda & Banking Fraud Stacy Summary: The Truth About Markets for 02 November 2013. We recorded on my Macbook Air, so sorry about quality not being as good as usual!. Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday from 3-5 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up, and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream.......
• Scott Horton Radio Show 10/28/13 Michael Swanson: Michael Swanson is the author of The War State: The Cold War Origins Of The Military-Industrial Complex And The Power Elite, 1945-1963. This is the third interview in a series of in-depth discussions about the book.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 11/06/13 Jeffrey Kaye: Jeffrey Kaye, a psychologist active in the anti-torture movement, discusses how the Army Field Manual allows Obama to continue Bush’s legacy of torture, and the doctors who violated their medical ethics to help torture prisoners in the war on terror.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 11/07/13 Roy Gutman: McClatchy journalist Roy Gutman discusses the rapid progress being made on an Iranian nuclear deal; the US’s recognition of Iran’s right to enrich uranium and have a peaceful civilian nuclear energy program; and the remaining obstacles to normalized US-Iran relations.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 11/07/13 Eric Garris: Eric Garris, co-founder of Antiwar.com, discusses the just-released FOIA documents explaining one of the reasons the FBI was monitoring Antiwar.com and its staff for at least six years.
• Visit his blog Stress. See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R)
• George Will - Joins Fox News, Leaves ABC After 3 Decades
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml