Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
The Future of Journalism Bill Keller Op-Ed columnist for The New York Times challenged blogger, journalist and former constitutional lawyer Glenn Greenwald to a "conversation — a (mostly) civil argument — between two very different views of how journalism fulfills its mission." KELLER: Earlier this month he announced he was joining a new journalistic venture, backed by eBay billionaire Pierre Omidyar, who has promised to invest $250 million and to “throw out all the old rules.” I invited Greenwald to join me in an online exchange about what, exactly, that means. We urge all our Brick TeeVee readers to read this in its entirety: Is Glenn Greenwald the Future of News? REQUIRED READING! Click over NOW! We'll wait .................
NEXT we go to John Aravosis at AmericaBlog who asks How Murdoch-ized is WSJ? They’re publishing Suzanne Somers as anti-Obamacare expert ..... So yes, the Wall Street Journal, when pondering which “expert” might have something interesting to add to the debate over the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare), they reached out to the creator of the Thighmaster, who’s apparently a bit of a right-wing nut. And boy, did they pay for it. Somers wrote a lovely seven paragraph screed about the evils of communism, or Canada, or something. And then, to make things even more fun, she got a lot of it wrong. So wrong, in fact, that the Journal had to issue a long “correction” beneath her story. Let’s just quote that correction in full, shall we? Go over there for the full analysis of the train wreck that is Suzanne Somers! Thing is, you probably know someone who thinks just like Chrissy from Three's Company (misinformed, uninformed and basically clueless). And they may even own a Thigh-Master haha!
For more celebrity news we go to TruthDig.com's Truthdigger of the Week: Russell Brand We in the West are rightly weary of lofty pronouncements from celebrities. In societies shaped by advertising, sane people come to regard statements by the rich, with their carefully constructed images, with extreme skepticism. Promotions for products and political personalities turn out too often to be lies designed to steal money from unwitting consumer citizens, falsehoods that additionally rob their victims of precious time and a measure of their inborn ability to trust. What to think then of the most recent performances by British comedian Russell Brand? Earlier this month it was announced that Brand, who has been increasingly vocal in his dislike of all manner of elites, would guest-edit an issue of the London-based left-liberal magazine New Statesman. The theme? Revolution. An early-October interview with conspiracy theorist Alex Jones offered an unofficial preview of what was in store to viewers unacquainted with Brand’s political thinking. A newcomer myself, I concluded at the time that the basics of Brand’s sense of what’s wrong were spot on, but that his insistence on mystical sources of salvation exposed him as another celebrity detached from reality. Now, after watching him deflect the provocations of BBC stuffed shirt Jeremy Paxman, and reading his essay in the latest issue of New Statesman—which deserves to be read for its dead-on insight and playful, engaging voice (“The price of privilege is poverty. David Cameron said in his conference speech that profit is ‘not a dirty word.’ Profit is the most profane word we have.”)—I’m less sure....... Read on! TruthDig.com also has this interview from DN! at their A/V Booth Greenwald: U.S. Spying on Allies Shows ‘Institutional Obsession’ also in the BTV Alerts below! GOOD ITEM!
AND Listen to Tuesday's Majority Report with Jeffrey Rosen: The Origins of NSA Mass Surveillance Jeffrey Rosen the President and CEO of the National Constitution Center explains the depth and range of NSA spying on Europe, how the new revelations could change the legal standing of those challenging the spying programs, will the broad use of surveillance change American public opinion, why Smith V Maryland does not cover what we are seeing now, how the FISA court has grown in power and prospects for reform.
And the NRA will have their panties in a wad and deploy their army of "constitutional" lawyers as TWIN LAKES FL bans its Neighborhood Watch from carrying guns like George Zimmerman who murdered black teen-ager Trayvon Martin in cold blood Florida city bans guns for neighborhood watch volunteers AND for some incredible street art visit banksyny.com
Judge Scheindlin dismisses stop and frisk lawsuit in NYC Stop-and-frisk judge will lay down law on wrongful NYCHA arrests - Manhattan Federal Judge Shira Scheindlin, who called the NYPD's stop-and-frisk practice unconstitutional, will hear a case on similar stops occuring at New York City Housing Authority developments. See the Center for Constitutional Rights co-council Sunita Patel on DN! Court Blocks NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Reforms, Removes Judge Who Found Program Unconstitutional.
We happened to catch the last 15 minutes of this excellent rant on the ANIMAL INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX rebroadcast on our local NPR station Alternative Radio – David Nibert – Animal Industrial Complex Audio sample, from $3 download to $14 CD - Get THE BOOK Animal Oppression and Human Violence: Domesecration, Capitalism, and Global Conflict from Columbia University Press ..... He finds in the domestication of animals, which he renames “domesecration,” a perversion of human ethics, the development of large-scale acts of violence, disastrous patterns of destruction, and growth-curbing epidemics of infectious disease. ...... Nibert links domesecration to some of the most critical issues facing the world today, including the depletion of fresh water, topsoil, and oil reserves; global warming; and world hunger, and he reviews the U.S. government’s military response to the inevitable crises of an overheated, hungry, resource-depleted world. Most animal-advocacy campaigns reinforce current oppressive practices, Nibert argues. Instead, he suggests reforms that challenge the legitimacy of both domesecration and capitalism. We say drop the three bucks and LISTEN! If you're more interested after hearing Nibert then check out the book at alibris.com Animal Oppression and Human Violence: Domesecration, Capitalism, and Global Conflict
GREENWASHING UPDATE: At Mother Jones Andy Kroll and Jeremy Schulman discover Leaked Documents Reveal the Secret Finances of a Pro-Industry Science Group The American Council on Science and Health bills itself as an independent research and advocacy organization devoted to debunking "junk science." It's a controversial outfit—a "group of scientists…concerned that many important public policies related to health and the environment did not have a sound scientific basis," it says—that often does battle with environmentalists and consumer safety advocates, wading into public health debates to defend fracking, to fight New York City's attempt to ban big sugary sodas, and to dismiss concerns about the potential harms of the chemical bisphenol-A (better known at BPA) and the pesticide atrazine. The group insists that its conclusions are driven purely by science. It acknowledges that it receives some financial support from corporations and industry groups, but ACSH, which reportedly stopped disclosing its corporate donors two decades ago, maintains that these contributions don't influence its work and agenda. Yet internal financial documents (read them here) provided to Mother Jones show that ACSH depends heavily on funding from corporations that have a financial stake in the scientific debates it aims to shape. The group also directly solicits donations from these industry sources around specific issues. ACSH's financial links to corporations involved in hot-button health and safety controversies have been highlighted in the past, but these documents offer a more extensive accounting of ACSH's reliance on industry money—giving a rare window into the operations of a prominent and frequent defender of industry in the science wars. ........... Dr. Gilbert Ross, the group's executive director, declined to answer specific questions about ACSH's fundraising. He did not dispute the authenticity of the documents provided to Mother Jones. (Multiple corporations listed as donors on these documents confirmed they had supported ACSH.) Ross says the group doesn't disclose its backers because "the sources of our support are irrelevant to our scientific investigations." According to Ross, "Only science-based facts hold sway in our publications, even if the outcome is not pleasing to our contributors." As Mother Jones reported in 2005, Ross was previously convicted for defrauding New York State's Medicaid program of roughly $8 million. His medical license was temporarily revoked and a jury sentenced him to 46 months in prison, of which he served 23 months. Ross currently has his license and is allowed to practice. ......... ACSH maintains that it doesn't accept donations from corporations or trade associations earmarked for specific research projects—that is, that there's no quid pro quo. But in a March 1992 internal memo obtained by Consumer Reports, Whelan wrote that ACSH staffers would ask the Calorie Control Council, a trade group backed by diet food and drink companies, and McNeil Specialty Products, a Johnson & Johnson subsidiary that owned the US marketing rights to Splenda (an artificial sweetener), for contributions to underwrite the dissemination of a research paper touting artificial sweeteners. (Splenda was then seeking approval for sale in the United States.) The newly revealed documents say that ACSH staffers should approach potential corporate financial backers with pitches geared toward specific issues. ........ WOW! Much more at the link! Also check out MoJo's ongoing investigative series DARK MONEY. Good item!
So lessee the NSA has electronically spied on The U.N., Germany, Mexico, France, Brazil, Ecudor and how many others so far? Y'all remember the Obomber Pacific "Asian Pivot"? Time to update yer scorecards! WaPo's William Wan now explains the Outrage at alleged U.S. spying efforts gathers steam in Asian capitals BEIJING — Allegations in an Australian newspaper that the United States and its allies use embassies in Asian capitals as hubs for electronic data collection triggered a new wave of outrage at Washington on Thursday. China’s government is “severely concerned about the reports and demands a clarification and explanation,” Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said. Government officials in Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand — all U.S. allies — made similarly angry statements. “Indonesia strongly protests the existence of a tapping facility in the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta,” Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said. “If it’s confirmed, such action is not only a breach of security, but also a serious violation of diplomatic norms and ethics, and certainly not in tune with the spirit of friendly relations between nations.” The Asian leaders were reacting to a report this week in the German magazine Der Spiegel and a Sydney Morning Herald article Thursday that named cities in which embassies are used for electronic surveillance by the United States, Britain, Australia, Canada and New Zealand — a group of intelligence partners known as the “5-eyes.” The reports were based on a secret National Security Agency document that was leaked by former contractor Edward Snowden and first published by Der Spiegel. The Sydney newspaper, part of the Fairfax Media group, also included information provided by an unidentified former Australian intelligence officer. Code-named STATEROOM, the program used disguised surveillance equipment in about 80 embassies and consulates worldwide, the Herald reported, adding that the equipment is concealed in roof maintenance sheds or as features of the building itself. Nineteen of the diplomatic facilities are in Europe. The Asian embassies involved include those in Jakarta; Bangkok; Hanoi; Beijing; Dili, East Timor; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; and Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott declined to discuss the Herald report in detail, but he told reporters, “Every Australian governmental agency, every Australian official at home and abroad operates in accordance with the law, and that’s the assurance that I can give people at home and abroad.” ....... MORE! Sure they do, Tony, sure. And how are those Australia Fires: Military Investigates Blaze going? Eh? "The military reveals it was conducting an explosives training exercise on the day a massive bushfire started in New South Wales." Eh Tony?
AT WIRED.COM's Threat Level David Kravets tells us there is Legislation Unveiled to Bar NSA’s Bulk Phone Metadata Collection Lawmakers proposed legislation today [Tuesday] that would effectively end the NSA’s bulk phone metadata collection program. The legislation has support from Republicans and Democrats in both the House and Senate, and from groups like the American Civil Liberties Union and National Rifle Association. But the USA FREEDOM Act’s passage into law remains uncertain. “It is time for serious and meaningful reforms so we can restore confidence in our intelligence community,” said Sen. Patrick Leahy, a Democrat from Vermont and one of the bill’s chief sponsors. Today’s proposal is a radical revamp of the Patriot Act, legislation passed in the immediate aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. In 2006, lawmakers amended the act to allow the bulk collection program under the disguise of Section 215 of the Patriot Act — which allows the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to authorize broad warrants for most any type of “tangible” records, including those held by banks, doctors and phone companies. Under the Patriot Act, the government only needs to show that the information is “relevant” to an authorized investigation. No connection to a terrorist or spy is required. That provision has been interpreted to allow for the bulk collection of all call records in and out of the United States. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisconsin) the main sponsor of the Patriot Act, said that such an interpretation was an abuse of the law. Today’s proposal, he said, seeks to alter that interpretation. Sensenbrenner said he never thought every telephone call would become “relevant” to an investigation. “Somewhere along the way, the balance between security and privacy was lost,” said Sensenbrenner, another co-sponsor of the sweeping package. ....... The ACLU, which is suing the President Barack Obama administration amid claims the collection program is unconstitutional, said the proposal is “real spying reform.” Today’s measure, officially called the “Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ending Eavesdropping, Dragnet-collection, and Online Monitoring Act” has 16 Democratic co-sponsors in the Senate and 70 bipartisan co-sponsors in the House. It has been met with stiff opposition from the White House, which has said the collection program has helped solve dozens of terror plots at home and abroad. A similar bill was proposed in July in the House, and was narrowly defeated 205-217. Two days later David Kravets reports Senate Committee Votes in Favor of NSA Phone-Records Snooping A key Senate committee approved today [Thursday - Halloween] a measure that would give congressional blessing to the NSA’s bulk collection of domestic telephone metadata, and bolster the legal underpinnings of the controversial snooping program. Sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-California), the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, the proposal (.pdf) sets the stage for a major legislative battle with a competing measure unveiled Tuesday prohibiting the data collection that began in 2006 and was first disclosed by whistleblower Edward Snowden in June. “The NSA call-records program is legal and subject to extensive congressional and judicial oversight, and I believe it contributes to our national security,” Feinstein said in a statement, after the committee approved the measure in private. “But more can and should be done to increase transparency and build public support for privacy protections…” Among other things, the package specifically adds bulk phone-metadata collection to the business records provision of the Patriot Act. In 2006, lawmakers amended the act to authorize broad, secret warrants for most any type of “tangible” records, including those held by banks, doctors and phone companies.
Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wisconsin), the main sponsor of the Patriot Act, said both the Bush and Obama administrations wrongly interpreted the Patriot Act to allow the bulk collection of all phone call records, slamming the NSA program as an abuse of the law. Feinstein’s bill certifies once and for all that the metadata program is authorized. ..... BITCH. Let's not forget Senator Feinstein's War Profiteering AND Dianne Feinstein: War Profiteer. BITCH. And WashingtonsBlog is all over it! Feinstein Introduces Trojan Horse … But Tech Giants Throw Weight Behind Legislation Which Would ACTUALLY Rein In NSA Spying Silicon Valley Titans See Which Way the Wind is Blowing … ....... But the tech giants just threw their support behind a real reform bill. Specifically, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook and AOL put their support behind the USA Freedom Act … the bill introduced by Senator Leahy and Congressman Sensenbrenner to start reining in the NSA for real. The tech giants aren’t supporting the bill out of the goodness of their hearts, but because cooperating with the NSA has cost them tens of billions of dollars. And see this. Read through to the comments for # 23 Feinstein’s Conflict of Interest in Iraq! SHIT! WAIT! There's more! Kim Zetter at THREAT LEVEL discovers THIS REPORT: NSA Is Intercepting Traffic From Yahoo, Google Data Centers Not satisfied with the bulk data it collects through court orders from internet giants Google and Yahoo, the National Security Agency reportedly vacuumed up traffic from communication links between the companies’ data centers, according to documents leaked by Edward Snowden. Google expressed outrage over the government’s actions and called for reform. The taps of the data links allow the spy agency to collect data on millions of users, including Americans, without cooperation from the two companies and without oversight from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, according to the Washington Post, which broke the story. An NSA slide obtained by the Post even shows where the NSA has presumably exploited a weakness in Google’s encryption to siphon the data. The NSA project, codenamed MUSCULAR, is operated jointly with the UK spy agency GCHQ. Both agencies copy entire data flows that pass through fiber-optic cables linking one Google data center to another. It does the same with Yahoo, at times sucking down so much information that analysts complained about the quantity. The data, which amounts to millions of records daily, gets passed to NSA data collection centers at Ft. Meade. In just 30 days NSA field collectors had processed and sent back 181,280,466 records, according to one document. The information siphoned included not only metadata but also content. ....... Google told WIRED it was angered by the NSA’s conduct. “We have long been concerned about the possibility of this kind of snooping,” Google Chief Legal Officer David Drummond said in a statement, “which is why we have continued to extend encryption across more and more Google services and links, especially the links in the slide…. “We are outraged at the lengths to which the government seems to have gone to intercept data from our private fiber networks, and it underscores the need for urgent reform.” ............. “Our system of judicial and congressional oversight of the NSA is fundamentally broken, and dragnet programs like this one are the result,” ACLU Deputy Legal Director Jameel Jaffer said in a statement. “If we want the right to privacy to survive the NSA’s assault on it, we need both Congress and the courts once again to play the role the constitution envisioned for them.”....... You need to really click through and read all these completely even if to just get the back story so click their links too! And lets remember Candidate Senator Obomber flying in off the campaign trail to sign the Telecom Immunity Act in 2008 Obama Backs Bill Giving Immunity To Telecoms and House passes new surveillance law which states The bill, which was passed on a 293-129 vote, does more than just protect the telecoms. The update to the 30-year-old Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is an attempt to balance privacy rights with the government's responsibility to protect the country against attack, taking into account changes in telecommunications technologies. "This bill, though imperfect, protects both," said Rep. Jane Harman, D-Calif., and a former member of the House intelligence committee. President Bush praised the bill Friday. "It will help our intelligence professionals learn enemies' plans for new attacks," he said in a statement before television cameras a few hours before the vote. We go back to the Keller/Greenwald back-n-forth for this tidbit:
- GREENWALD: My objection is not to that process itself but to specific instances where it leads to the suppression of information that ought to be public. Without intended rancor, I believe that the 2004 decision of The Times to withhold the Risen/Lichtblau N.S.A. story at the request of the Bush White House was one of the most egregious of such instances, but there are plenty of others.
- KELLER: Like any endeavor run by human beings, ours is imperfect, and sometimes we disappoint. Critics on the left, including you, were indignant to learn that we held the N.S.A. eavesdropping story for more than a year, until I was satisfied that the public interest outweighed any potential damage to national security. Critics on the right were even more furious when, in 2005, we published. Honorable people may disagree with such decisions, to publish or not to publish. But those judgments were the result of long, hard and independent calculation, a weighing of risks and responsibilities, not “fealty to the U.S. government.”
- Our first object should therefore be, to leave open to him all the avenues to truth. The most effectual hitherto found, is the freedom of the press. It is, therefore, the first shut up by those who fear the investigation of their actions.
Lewis Allan "Lou" Reed March 2, 1942 – October 27, 2013 WATCH: Lou Reed (1942-2013) Performing at Iraq Veterans Against the War Benefit in 2008 In March 2008 on the eve of the 5th anniversary of the U.S.-led Iraq invasion, Lou Reed performed his song about a Vietnam veteran, "Xmas in February," as well as "Voices of Freedom" at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn at a benefit for Iraq Veterans Against the War and United For Peace and Justice.
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Jesselyn Radack, Thomas Drake & Gary Johnson "Stop Watching Us": As Diplomatic Fallout Grows, Thousands Protest NSA Surveillance in D.C.
- Glenn Greenwald Glenn Greenwald: U.S. Spying on Allies Shows "Institutional Obsession" with Surveillance AND Glenn Greenwald: Media Venture Will Empower Adversarial Journalism to Hold the Powerful Accountable
- Yves Smith, financial analyst who founded the popular finance blog Naked Capitalism. While Defenders Cry Foul, JPMorgan Chase’s $13 Billion Banking Settlement a "Screaming Bargain" ON-LINE Part 2!
- Mary Robinson, former Irish president and U.N. high commissioner for human rights Former Irish President, Climate Justice Advocate Mary Robinson Urges Divestment of Fossil Fuel Firms
- Terri Bennett of Respond and Rebuild & Jessica Roff of Restore the Rock 1 Year Later, Superstorm Sandy Strengthens Resolve for Community Solutions in Recovery, Rebuilding
Judith Goldiner, attorney in charge of the Civil Law Reform Unit at the Legal Aid Society & Shawn Little, a healthcare worker who lived in the Rockaways when Hurricane Sandy hit Stranded By Sandy: A Year After Hurricane, 22,000 Households Remain Displaced in New York Region
- Jessica Mason Pieklo, senior legal analyst at RH Reality Check Renewed Showdown over Texas Anti-Choice Law Highlights State-by-State Battle for Abortion Access
- MIT professor of American history Craig Steven Wilder, author of the book "Ebony & Ivy: Race, Slavery, and the Troubled History of America’s Universities" Shackles and Ivy: The Secret History of How Slavery Helped Build America’s Elite Colleges
- Wilder & Katrina Browne, producer and director of the documentary, "Traces of the Trade: A Story From the Deep North" Filmmaker Uncovers Her Family’s Shocking Slave-Trading History, Urges Americans to Explore Own Roots
- Robert Greenwald, founder and president of Brave New Films. "These Drones Attack Us and the Whole World is Silent": New Film Exposes Secret U.S. War
- Rafiq Rehman, Zubair Rehman & Nabila Rehman, the first drone victims to testify before members of Congress "Too Scared to Go Outside": Family of Pakistani Grandmother Killed in U.S. Drone Strike Speaks Out
- Sunita Patel, staff attorney with the Center for Constitutional Rights Court Blocks NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Reforms, Removes Judge Who Found Program Unconstitutional
- John Greyson, Canadian filmmaker & Tarek Loubani, emergency room medical doctor and assistant professor at Western University in London, Ontario Canadians Held 50 Days in Egyptian Prison After Documenting Massacre Speak Out Following Release
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW A Co-op Story: Rebuilding Far Rockaway After Sandy Rockaway resident Virginia Deer told GRITtv “A lot of the jobs that are available and that are coming into the neighborhood are mostly minimum wage jobs. This is an opportunity that can build some sort of wealth in the community and keep it here.” more.....
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN NASCAR Sprint Cup Series It's the AAA Texas 500 from Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, TX! Coverage begins at 3 pm et »»» SUNDAY FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA on NBC Colts @ Texans 8:30 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on ESPN Bears @ Packers 8:30 pm et »»» NBA on TBS THURSDAY DOUBLEHEADER! Cleppers @ Heat 7 pm et THEN Lakers @ Rockets 9:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Meet the New CISPA. Same as the Old CISPA. Last year, thanks to a public outcry, the effort to pass overreaching cybersecurity legislation stalled in the Senate. Now supporters have reintroduced the House version of that legislation — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). The “new” version is in fact identical to the original CISPA — and poses the same threat to our digital civil liberties. If CISPA becomes law, it will be a major blow to our online privacy. But more than that, CISPA’s passage would have a chilling effect on our freedom to connect online. We won’t feel as free to state unpopular opinions, or to speak truth to power, if we know that Big Brother could get a feed of everything we say and do. This is not what the free and open Internet is about. We must tell Congress: Vote NO on CISPA and bury this bill for good.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the Private Manning Support Network! August 26, 2013, By attorney David Coombs and the Private Manning Support Network (formerly the Bradley Manning Support Network). Additional clarification on PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's request regarding her gender and name. With your continued support, our network will continue its advocacy efforts in support our heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower through this new phase of her life. ....... UPDATE! Letters from Chelsea Manning regarding the Support Network & David Coombs October 30, 2013. By the Private Manning Support Network. These four documents were received this morning by the Private Manning Support Network, c/o Courage to Resist, directly from Pvt. Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning via USPS Express Mail from Fort Leavenworth KS.. ..... AND Update 11/1/13: Protesters rally in DC and around world to support whistleblowers At last week's Stopwatching.us rally thousands demonstrated in support of whistleblowers and transparency, while calling on the NSA to end its mass surveillance programs. Organizers called it the largest rally against mass surveillance yet. .....
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
B R I C K T E E V E E The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,289 US Military Dead as of Nov 1, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• White House senior adviser Dan Pfeiffer
• Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky.
• FiveThirtyEight.com editor-in-chief and ABC News special contributor Nate Silver
• ROUNDTABLE: ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd, co-host of CNN’s “Crossfire” Van Jones, ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, and Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan.
• Sunday Spotlight: Rob Lowe discusses portraying President John F. Kennedy in the new National Geographic Channel film “Killing Kennedy.”
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Sen Dianne Feinstein & Rep Mike Rogers: We'll ask the Intelligence Committee chairs about the heightened concerns over NSA surveillance, Obamacare enrollment and more
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Guantanamo - Lesley Stahl gets unprecedented access to the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, facility where the accused 9/11 terrorists will face trial in the biggest war crimes tribunal since Nuremberg. Richard Bonin is the producer.
• Lamborghini - After 50 years in the luxury, supercar business, Lamborghini is still making the kind of cars that dreams are made of, a precious handful a day. Scott Pelley reports at 155 mph. Nicole Young is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• NBC News EXCLUSIVE: Mitt Romney on healthcare, Obama second term
• Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA) Responds
• ROUNDTABLE: former Senior Adviser to the president when health care reform became law, David Axelrod; Washington Post Associate Editor Bob Woodard; editor of the Weekly Standard Bill Kristol; and anchor of BBC World News America, Katty Kay.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines and at noon ET.
• Congressman Michael McCaul – Chairman of House Homeland Committee
• Senator Kelly Ayotte
• ROUNDTABLE: Former Senator Blanche Lincoln, CNN Crossfire Host Newt Gingrich, former Kathleen Sebelius adviser Neera Tanden, and Obama biographer David Maraniss.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• HALLOWEEN THURSDAY!! Bob and The H.O.R.N. celebrate All Hallow's Eve!! Pull up a cold one! Listen NOW HERE - Thursday, October 31st, 2013 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - October 31, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Students disrupt Obama's healthcare rally to protest Keystone XL pipeline; Koch Brothers' pipeline spills in Texas; BP's toxic oil spill still hurting Gulf fishermen; Spain's remarkable solar record; PLUS: Stanford University confirms: Renewable energy can provide 100% of the world's energy needs ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): NYC hurricane expert: The 1 percent’s flood insurance scam; Big Coal's law firm withheld evidence of black lung; Fukushima's precarious next step; ‘Zombie Pipeline Act’ would speed up pipeline approval process; Can science explain Tea Partiers’ rage?; Netherlands town becomes first to divest from fossil fuels; CA condors poisoned by lead bullets; USDA plans to speed up poultry-processing lines; Al Gore: 'Carbon bubble is about to burst'; California's reservoirs drying up; US won't finance overseas coal plants ... PLUS: Naomi Klein: How science is telling us all to revolt ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - October 29, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: One year later: the lessons of Superstorm Sandy - Scientists question rebuilding in coastal areas, warn of future climate impacts & of sea level rise; PLUS: It's official: the Poles are having a heat wave! (No, not the Polish people) ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! CBS '60 Minutes' Hoaxed by Benghazi 'Witness' Washington Post reports man featured in 'explosive' report on 2012 diplomatic mission attack was no where near the mission that night, according to his own earlier account...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! GOP Still Filibustering to Keep Bush Appointee in Place Despite 'deal' with Democrats in August, Republican Senate minority continues to block Obama's nominee to agency overseeing home mortgages. Bush's man stays at helm...
• BRADCAST! KPFK 'BradCast': The Photo ID 'Posner Coaster' Making sense of Judge Richard Posner's recantation and unrecantation of his landmark 2007 polling place Photo ID law decision. Plus: Other new fronts in the GOP 'War on Voting'...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment Oct. 29, 2013 PBC News & Comment: Update on Roger Shuler’s Unlawful Detention from Attorney David Gespass Update on journalist Roger Shuler’s unlawful imprisonment from attorney David Gespass, who notes many bizarre aspects of the Alabama proceedings….
• PBC News & Comment Oct. 30, 2013 PBC News & Comment: Did Obama NOT Know About Web Glitches, and that NSA Spied on Leaders?HHS Secretary Sebelius apologizes for website “debacle”, shielding Obama as he dodges questions about his knowledge of NSA snooping-on-allies…
• PBC Standard Podcast Oct. 25, 2013 Update on Roger Shuler’s Bogus Imprisonment With Commentary from Andrew Kreig of the Justice Integrity Project
• PBC Standard Podcast Oct. 29, 2013 Attorney David Gespass Visited Roger Shuler in Jail and Comments on Many Bizarre Aspects of the Case
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Nov. 1, 2013 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
• Best-selling author Cliff Schecter will join us to run down this week’s buried stories.
• Author Corey Robin will tell us why there is no such thing as a moderate Republican.
• Investigative journalist Lee Fang will discuss the dangers of the Supreme Court’s upcoming McCutcheon decision.
• Journalist Lynn Parramore will explain how fear rules the Tea Party.
• Alternet’s world editor Alex Kane will tell us why many of the administration’s drone strikes have been completely unjustified.
• And author David Sirota will give us the latest details on the plot to loot public employee pensions.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Nov 1, 2013 Sundays at NOON! This week we’ll be revisiting our interviews with some of the best progressive authors of 2013.
»» Author and journalist David Neiwert will talk about his new book “And Hell Followed With Her,” about the Minutemen Project that patrols our southern border.
»» TV and radio host Thom Hartmann will talk about the events that led to our economic collapse 5 years ago, and what we can do to prevent the next big crash.
»» Author Les Leopold will discuss the egregious disparity between Wall Street CEO pay and worker pay, and why these people are rewarded for producing absolutely nothing of value for our economy.
»» Author John Nichols will tell us all about the big money interests that have taken over our media, our electorate, and our courts.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on November 2, 2013 by Joshua Schwitzerlett - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• Julian Assange Rails Against Biopic “The Fifth Estate” Next Friday, the Dreamworks produced biopic of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange is set to release in theaters. “The Fifth Estate” is based on the early days and creation of Wikileaks, however, Assange has spoken out against the film and also sent a letter to the film’s lead actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays Assange. In the letter, Assange decries the film and says that he does “not believe it is going to be positive for me or the people I care about. . . It is based on a deceitful book by someone who has a vendetta against me and my organisation.” MORE!
• VIDEO! Papantonio: The Truth Behind the ‘McCutcheon’ Case (VIDEO) The Supreme Court recently heard oral arguments on a case that has been described as Citizens United on steroids. If the conservative court sides with big business in this case, it could open the flood gates to unlimited corporate campaign money. Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio talks about this with Nation Magazine investigative journalist Lee Fang.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Retirement Security At Risk (VIDEO) State governments all over America are trying to sell off public employee pensions to private companies. This is bad news for investors, and could lead to the loss of retirement security for millions of workers. Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio talks about this with best-selling author and Salon.com contributor David Sirota.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 10/28/13 Mark Leibovich: This Town: Inside America’s Gilded Capital
• TUESDAY 10/29/13 Jeffrey Rosen: The Origins of NSA Mass Surveillance
• WEDNESDAY 10/30/13 Becky Bond: On The Fight to Protect Social Security & Reigning In The NSA
• THURSDAY 10/31/13 Halloween Special: MR Goes Right Wing
• FRIDAY 11/1/13 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Isabel Gillies
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here!
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• VIDEO! Max Keiser on Digital Apartheid in The New Millenium by maxkeiser
• FOMC Raid Continues as Gold & Silver Smashed on COMEX Open by The Doc - NThe gold and silver smash that began at 2pm EST Wednesday on the release of the October FOMC statement (in which no taper whatsoever was announced) continued this morning, and both gold and silver were smashed on the COMEX open. Silver has been smashed another 4% to $21.70, and gold over $20 to $1322. Click here for more on the cartel’s latest FOMC gold and silver raid.
• Japan’s Most Hated Outfit, TEPCO, Reports Fat Profit (From Taxpayer Bailout Money) by Wolf Richter - TEPCO, the utility that serves 29 million households and businesses in the Tokyo metropolitan area, and that owns the Fukushima nuclear power plant where three melted-down reactors are contaminating air, soil, groundwater, and seawater, an outfit famous for its lackadaisical handling of the fiasco and the parsimoniousness with which it doles out information – the most despised and ridiculed company in Japan, bailed out by taxpayers and still on taxpayer-funded life support, reported earnings today. And it was a doozie. READ Japan’s Most Hated Outfit, TEPCO, Reports Fat Profit (From Taxpayer Bailout Money)
• KEISER REPORT [KR516] Keiser Report: Bitcoin – Resistance Starts Here! We discuss the revolutionary solution that takes money and power from those who hate and gives it to those who will no longer wait for celebrities and pundits to cogitate, agitate and debate whether or not wristbands and hashtags – oh so quaint – can stop the plunder and pillage by the conmen, hucksters, and banksters backed by the state. Yes, bitcoin. The currency is already creating economic value across Africa, China and the developing world while Brits destroy economic value by moving their money into yet another corrupt bank. In the second half, Max interviews Simon Dixon of BankToTheFuture.com about peer to peer lending and the future in which the population can deploy their own capital in more productive ways.
• KEISER REPORT [KR517] Keiser Report: Red Queen SyndromeWe discuss the Red Queen syndrome of running to stay in the same place – from money printing to fracking, more and more capital and energy are deployed just to stay economically even. In the second half, Max interviews Gregor Macdonald of Gregor.us about fracking, tight oil and the mythical future in which America is an oil giant – especially if oil prices EVER fall below $80 per barrel.
• KEISER REPORT [KR518] Keiser Report: Gutter Debt We discuss gutter oil and gutter debt providing the same toxic function. They also ask whether if snooker table sized properties are being sold in London then should World Snooker champion, Ronnie O’Sullivan, head the British economy? In the second half, Max interviews journalist and anti-bondholder bailout activist, Diarmuid O’Flynn about taking a stance against bailing out unsecured bondholders in Ireland.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1294] The Truth About Propaganda & Banking Fraud Stacy Summary: The Truth About Markets for 02 November 2013. We recorded on my Macbook Air, so sorry about quality not being as good as usual!. Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday, excluding Thursday, from 3-5 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up, and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream.......
• Scott Horton Radio Show 10/28/13 Michael Swanson: Michael Swanson is the author of The War State: The Cold War Origins Of The Military-Industrial Complex And The Power Elite, 1945-1963. This is the third interview in a series of in-depth discussions about the book.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 10/30/13 Marcy Wheeler: Blogger Marcy Wheeler discusses the NSA’s legal justifications for its spying programs; the intercepted phone calls of foreign heads of state; and the NSA’s theft of user data from Google and Yahoo.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 10/31/13 Sheldon Richman: Sheldon Richman, vice president of The Future of Freedom Foundation, discusses the Iranian point of view on US-Iran relations since 1953; Obama’s frustratingly unpredictable foreign policy; and how Israel could use proxy groups to sabotage an Iranian peace deal.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 10/31/13 Trevor Timm: Trevor Timm, an activist at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, discusses the good and bad NSA reform bills working through Congress; the divide between Congressional party leadership and rank and file members on NSA spying; the data theft directly from Google and Yahoo’s private fiber-optic cables; and the NSA’s tricky non-denial denials.
• Visit his blog Stress. See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, one of the architects of ObamaCare
• James Capretta of the Ethics & Public Policy Center
• Sen Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml