Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Trans-Pacific Partnership The big story last week was the publication of one chapter of the TPP "agreement" by wikileaks but also TEPCO attempting to remove 400 tons of fuel rods from the severely-damaged Unit 4 at Fukushima Dai-ichi. We'll have much more on both of those but first some good news for a change!
ROLLING JUBILEE UPDATE! Guardian UK's Adam Gabbatt Occupy Wall Street activists buy $15m of Americans' personal debt Rolling Jubilee spent $400,000 to purchase debt cheaply from banks before 'abolishing' it, freeing individuals from their bills - A group of Occupy Wall Street activists has bought almost $15m of Americans' personal debt over the last year as part of the Rolling Jubilee project to help people pay off their outstanding credit. Rolling Jubilee, set up by Occupy's Strike Debt group following the street protests that swept the world in 2011, launched on 15 November 2012. The group purchases personal debt cheaply from banks before "abolishing" it, freeing individuals from their bills. By purchasing the debt at knockdown prices the group has managed to free $14,734,569.87 of personal debt, mainly medical debt, spending only $400,000. "We thought that the ratio would be about 20 to 1," said Andrew Ross, a member of Strike Debt and professor of social and cultural analysis at New York University. He said the team initially envisaged raising $50,000, which would have enabled it to buy $1m in debt. "In fact we've been able to buy debt a lot more cheaply than that." The group is able to buy debt so cheaply due to the nature of the "secondary debt market". If individuals consistently fail to pay bills from credit cards, loans, or medical insurance the bank or lender that issued the funds will eventually cut its losses by selling that debt to a third party. These sales occur for a fraction of the debt’s true values – typically for five cents on the dollar – and debt-buying companies then attempt to recoup the debt from the individual debtor and thus make a profit. The Rolling Jubilee project was mostly conceived as a "public education project", Ross said. "We're under no illusions that $15m is just a tiny drop in the secondary debt market. It doesn't make a dent in the amount of debt. Our purpose in doing this, aside from helping some people along the way – there's certainly many, many people who are very thankful that their debts are abolished – our primary purpose was to spread information about the workings of this secondary debt market." The group has focussed on buying medical debt, and has acquired the $14.7m in three separate purchases, most recently purchasing the value of $13.5m on medical debt owed by 2,693 people across 45 states and Puerto Rico, Rolling Jubilee said in a press release. “No one should have to go into debt or bankruptcy because they get sick,” said Laura Hanna, an organiser with the group. Hanna said 62% of all personal bankruptcies have medical debt as a contributing factor. ........ Ross, whose book, Creditocracy and the case for debt refusal, outlines the problems of the debt industry and calls for a “debtors’ movement” to resist credit, said the group had received letters from people whose debt they had lifted thanking them for the service. But the real victory was in spreading knowledge of the nature of the debt industry, he said. "Very few people know how cheaply their debts have been bought by collectors. It changes the psychology of the debtor, knowing this.
BTV Correspondent Maddy grabs this tweet
- WikiLeaks @wikileaks 34m "Now that Jeremy Hammond has been sentenced, we will shortly release all remaining Stratfor files."
And Rolling Stone's John Knefel has Cyber-Activist Jeremy Hammond Sentenced to 10 Years In Prison - The hacker, who pleaded guilty in May, is given the maximum sentence by a federal judge Cyber-activist Jeremy Hammond was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison this morning by Judge Loretta A. Preska in a federal courtroom in lower Manhattan for hacking the private intelligence firm Stratfor. When released, Hammond will be placed under supervised control, the terms of which include a prohibition on encryption or attempting to anonymize his identity online. Hammond has shown a "total lack of respect for the law," Judge Preska said in her ruling, citing Hammond's criminal record – which includes a felony conviction for hacking from when he was 19 – and what she called "unrepentant recidivism." There is a "desperate need to promote respect for the law," she said, as well as a "need for adequate public deterrence." ........ Prior to the verdict, he read from a prepared statement and said it was time for him to step away from hacking as a form of activism, but recognized that tactic's continuing importance. "Those in power do not want the truth exposed," Hammond said from the podium, wearing black prison garb. He later stated that the injustices he has fought against "cannot be cured by reform, but by civil disobedience and direct action." He spoke out against capitalism and a wide range of other social ills, including mass incarceration and crackdowns on protest movements. The Stratfor hack exposed previously unknown corporate spying on activists and organizers, including PETA and the Yes Men, and was largely constructed by the FBI using an informant named Hector Monsegur, better known by his online alias Sabu. Co-defendants in the U.K. were previously sentenced to relatively lighter terms. Citing Hammond's record, Judge Preska said "there will not be any unwarranted sentencing disparity" between her ruling and the U.K. court's decision. Hammond's supporters and attorneys had previously called on Judge Preska to recuse herself following the discovery that her husband was a victim of the hack she was charged with ruling on. That motion was denied. (Full disclosure: This reporter previously spoke at a rally calling on Judge Preska to recuse herself.) ....... Many supporters see Hammond's case as part of a broader trend of the government seeking what they say are disproportionately long sentences for acts that are better understood as civil disobedience than rampant criminality. Aaron Swartz, who faced prosecution under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act – the same statute used to prosecute Hammond – took his own life last year, after facing possible decades in prison for downloading academic journals from an MIT server. "The tech industry promised open access and democratization," says Roy Singham, Swartz's old boss and executive chairman of ThoughtWorks, a software company that advocates for social justice. "What we've given the world is surveillance and spying." Singham says it's "shameful" that "titans of the tech world" have not supported Hammond. Following his first conviction for hacking, Hammond said, he struggled with returning to that life, but felt it was his responsibility. That decision ultimately lead to the Stratfor hack. "I had to ask myself, if Chelsea Manning fell into the abysmal nightmare of prison fighting for the truth, could I in good conscience do any less, if I was able?" he said, addressing the court. "I thought the best way to demonstrate solidarity was to continue the work of exposing and confronting corruption."
So while Hammond lands in prison some real war criminals are walking around free men. Sarah Lazare, staff writer for Common Dreams reports US Bullies UK To Keep Bush/Blair Iraq War Dialogue Secret US blocks British report that is expected to challenge official version of events - If the U.S. gets its way, the world will never know the details of top-level discussions between George W. Bush and Tony Blair that paved the way for the invasion of Iraq in 2003. An exclusive report released Thursday by The Independent reveals that the White House and U.S. State Department have launched a fierce battle against the release of a four-year government-ordered investigation into the lead-up and aftermath of British participation in a war now widely viewed in the UK as a catastrophe. The inquiry, led by Sir John Chilcot, is believed to take aim at the official version of events, including misrepresentation of Iraq intelligence, as well as questions about whether former British Prime Minister Tony Blair engaged in secret negotiations with the Bush administration while lying to the British people. Yet, the U.S. government is forbidding the release of communications between Blair and Bush in the lead-up to the war, declaring it classified information and pressuring British Prime Minister David Cameron to wipe this information from the report. The Independent reports that the hidden documents "are said to provide crucial evidence for already-written passages that are highly critical of the covert way in which Mr Blair committed British troops to the US-led invasion." The paper goes on to quote a top-level diplomat, who declared, “The US are highly possessive when documents relate to the presence of the President or anyone close to him... this is not Tony Blair’s or the UK Government’s property to disclose.” There are signs that the British government is poised to cave to U.S. pressure, in a bid to protect the 'special' relationship between the two countries. An exclusive report released Thursday by The Independent reveals that the White House and U.S. State Department have launched a fierce battle against the release of a four-year government-ordered investigation into the lead-up and aftermath of British participation in a war now widely viewed in the UK as a catastrophe. ........ Immediately following the release of the report, a Cabinet spokesperson denied that the U.S. has veto power over the Iraq War inquiry, declaring, "All sides recognize that this raises difficult issues, involving legal and international relations considerations." ......... An editorial by Guardian editors sounds the alarm over the delayed release of the report, declaring, "If there is an urgency, it is because only with publication of Chilcot's report can this generation hope to learn the lessons of that misguided war and how to avoid repeating those mistakes."
MORE JEN! From Digby Fix the Debt caught astroturfing Oh, my goodness. Can it be that Fix the Debt is using patented right wing astroturf tactics? Say it ain't so!
- Our friend Jon Romano, press secretary for the inside-the-beltway PR campaign “Fix the Debt” and its pet youth group, The Can Kicks Back, have been caught writing op-eds for college students and placing the identical op-eds in papers across the country. This is the latest slip-up in Fix the Debt’s efforts to portray itself as representing America’s youth. Previously, they were caught paying dancers to participate in a pro-austerity flash mob and paying Change.org to gather online petition signers for them. The newspapers involved in the scam were not amused.
Gainesville Sun to Fix the Debt: “Lay Off the Astroturf and Outright Plagiarism”
The identical op-eds were discovered by Florida’s Gainesville Sun. The paper’s scathing editorial on the topic makes for an entertaining read. "If you liked University of Florida student Brandon Scott’s column last Sunday about the national debt, you also should enjoy columns by Dartmouth College student Thomas Wang and University of Wisconsin student Jennifer Pavelec on the issue. After all, they’re the same columns. The identical columns ran last weekend in newspapers in New Hampshire and Wisconsin. They each included the same first-person passage describing the student’s work with the Campaign to Fix the Debt and its “millennial arm,” The Can Kicks Back." .....
NSA UPDATE: Der SPIEGEL Staff report Oil Espionage: How the NSA and GCHQ Spied on OPEC Documents disclosed by whistleblower Edward Snowden reveal that both America's National Security Agency (NSA) and Britain's Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) have infiltrated the computer network of the the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC). In January 2008, the NSA department in charge of energy issues reported it had accomplished its mission. Intelligence information about individual petroleum-exporting countries had existed before then, but now the NSA had managed, for the first time, to infiltrate OPEC in its entirety. OPEC, founded in 1960, has its headquarters in a box-like building in Vienna. Its main objective is to control the global oil market, and to keep prices high. The 12 member states include Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Iran and Iraq. When the NSA used the Internet to infiltrate OPEC's computers, its analysts discovered an internal study in the OPEC Research Division. It stated that OPEC officials were trying to cast the blame for high oil prices on speculators. A look at files in the OPEC legal department revealed how the organization was preparing itself for an antitrust suit in the United States. And a review of the section reserved for the OPEC secretary general documented that the Saudis were using underhanded tactics, even within the organization. According to the NSA analysts, Riyadh had tried to keep an increase in oil production a secret for as long as possible. Saudi Arabia's OPEC governor is also on the list of individuals targeted for surveillance, for which the NSA had secured approval from the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. The documents show how careful the Americans were to suspend their surveillance when the Saudi visited the United States. But as soon as he had returned to Riyadh, the NSA analysts began infiltrating his communications once again. ....... The British, who also targeted OPEC's Vienna headquarters, were at least as successful as the NSA. A secret GCHQ document dating from 2010 states that the agency had traditionally had "poor access" to OPEC. But that year, after a long period of meticulous work, it had managed to infiltrate the computers of nine OPEC employees by using the "Quantum Insert" method, which then creates a gateway to gain access into OPEC's computer system. GCHQ analysts were even able to acquire administrator privileges for the OPEC network and gain access to two secret servers containing "many documents of interest." .........
NEXT David Sirota explains The Defense Industry's Grand Bargain - Or, how we agreed to cut spending and export the bomb. Translated from Washington-speak, the trite phrase "grand bargain" is basically a trumped up label for what used to be called compromise - though, even that's being charitable. In the current vernacular, it means Congress enacting big cuts to programs Americans don't want cut in exchange for small tax changes that lots of citizens support - but that Corporate America hates. In other words, the phrase is designed to put a cheery label on another heist. The only thing "grand" about such a bargain is the fact that proles get thrown a few bones (which, to be fair, is unusual these days). ...............If this were the end of the story, then perhaps this really would be an unvarnished victory over the out-of-control Military-Industrial Complex and National Security State - a victory not just for the anti-government right (or the anti-war left) but for the majority of voters who want the defense budget reduced. But, of course, this isn't the end of this story. For all the agitprop pretending the defense contracting industry is somehow the powerless and persecuted victim, that industry remains a multi-billion-dollar colossus with an army of lobbyists and a physical presence in almost every congressional district in the country. With that kind of power, it didn't just see the sequestration and abruptly decide to give up its post-World War II reign over American politics. Instead, it engineered a grand bargain. In this particular deal, the defense contracting industry saw the possibility for a left-right political coalition against Pentagon spending and reacted with a deft lobbying pivot focusing on weapons exports. As the Lexington Institute's Loren Thompson described it, the defense industry and its client politicians are aiming to "compensate for plummeting domestic demand" - read: cuts to U.S. weapons procurement budgets - "by facilitating foreign arms sales." It was a wildly successful move, as the same Democratic president who floated some defense spending cuts and the same congressional Republicans who sequestered the Pentagon budget joined together to recompense the defense industry by radically deregulating the international arms market. This side of the grand bargain started back in 2010, when the White House and Congress inserted language into an Iran sanctions bill that deregulated the arms export approval process. The U.S. then delayed the international Arms Trade Treaty - and once the Obama administration belatedly signed the pact, the Senate swiftly positioned itself to block it. At the same time, the Obama administration - with no serious objection from congressional Republicans - began circumventing a 2008 statute prohibiting arms exports to nations that use child soldiers. It also started working to undermine an international pact against cluster bombs (not coincidentally just before facilitating exports of cluster bombs to the Middle East). Summing up the situation, ProPublica reported this year that the moves collectively mean "thousands of parts of military aircraft, such as propeller blades, brake pads and tires will be able to be sent to almost any country in the world, with minimal oversight – even to some countries subject to U.N. arms ebargos." Additionally, the news organization reports that "U.S. companies will also face fewer checks than in the past when selling some military aircraft to dozens of countries." That's on top of both parties resurrecting the Reagan-era idea of using arms exports to empower rebels to wage U.S. proxy wars. The predictable result of all this has been an arms export bonanza for the defense industry. As Table 4 of a recent Congressional Research Service report documents, U.S. arms exports to the developing world almost quadrupled in just Obama's first term. Overall, the New York Times reported last year that "weapons sales by the United States tripled in 2011 to a record high" $66 billion - or "more than three-quarters of the global arms market." The Pentagon told Congress that it ultimately aims to get that export number up to over $100 billion a year...................
TPP UPDATE: From wikileaks Secret Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP) Today, 13 November 2013, WikiLeaks released the secret negotiated draft text for the entire TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) Intellectual Property Rights Chapter. The TPP is the largest-ever economic treaty, encompassing nations representing more than 40 per cent of the world’s GDP. The WikiLeaks release of the text comes ahead of the decisive TPP Chief Negotiators summit in Salt Lake City, Utah, on 19-24 November 2013. The chapter published by WikiLeaks is perhaps the most controversial chapter of the TPP due to its wide-ranging effects on medicines, publishers, internet services, civil liberties and biological patents. Significantly, the released text includes the negotiation positions and disagreements between all 12 prospective member states. The TPP is the forerunner to the equally secret US-EU pact TTIP (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership), for which President Obama initiated US-EU negotiations in January 2013. Together, the TPP and TTIP will cover more than 60 per cent of global GDP. Read full press release here. ...... The TPP negotiations are currently at a critical stage. The Obama administration is preparing to fast-track the TPP treaty in a manner that will prevent the US Congress from discussing or amending any parts of the treaty. Numerous TPP heads of state and senior government figures, including President Obama, have declared their intention to sign and ratify the TPP before the end of 2013. WikiLeaks’ Editor-in-Chief Julian Assange stated: “The US administration is aggressively pushing the TPP through the US legislative process on the sly.” The advanced draft of the Intellectual Property Rights Chapter, published by WikiLeaks on 13 November 2013, provides the public with the fullest opportunity so far to familiarise themselves with the details and implications of the TPP. The 95-page, 30,000-word IP Chapter lays out provisions for instituting a far-reaching, transnational legal and enforcement regime, modifying or replacing existing laws in TPP member states. The Chapter’s subsections include agreements relating to patents (who may produce goods or drugs), copyright (who may transmit information), trademarks (who may describe information or goods as authentic) and industrial design.
The longest section of the Chapter – ’Enforcement’ – is devoted to detailing new policing measures, with far-reaching implications for individual rights, civil liberties, publishers, internet service providers and internet privacy, as well as for the creative, intellectual, biological and environmental commons. Particular measures proposed include supranational litigation tribunals to which sovereign national courts are expected to defer, but which have no human rights safeguards. The TPP IP Chapter states that these courts can conduct hearings with secret evidence. The IP Chapter also replicates many of the surveillance and enforcement provisions from the shelved SOPA and ACTA treaties.
The consolidated text obtained by WikiLeaks after the 26-30 August 2013 TPP meeting in Brunei – unlike any other TPP-related documents previously released to the public – contains annotations detailing each country’s positions on the issues under negotiation. Julian Assange emphasises that a “cringingly obsequious” Australia is the nation most likely to support the hardline position of US negotiators against other countries, while states including Vietnam, Chile and Malaysia are more likely to be in opposition. Numerous key Pacific Rim and nearby nations – including Argentina, Ecuador, Colombia, South Korea, Indonesia, the Philippines and, most significantly, Russia and China – have not been involved in the drafting of the treaty. In the words of WikiLeaks’ Editor-in-Chief Julian Assange, “If instituted, the TPP’s IP regime would trample over individual rights and free expression, as well as ride roughshod over the intellectual and creative commons. If you read, write, publish, think, listen, dance, sing or invent; if you farm or consume food; if you’re ill now or might one day be ill, the TPP has you in its crosshairs.”
Current TPP negotiation member states are the United States, Japan, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Chile, Singapore, Peru, Vietnam, New Zealand and Brunei. READ the full secret TPP treaty IP chapter here (pdf)!
From the a-good-sign dept Tech Dirt's Mike Masnick explains why Congress May Not Be So Eager To Simply Hand Over Its Own Authority To The Obama Administration To Approve TPP We have all sorts of concerns about the TPP Agreement (Trans Pacific Parntership), but as we've discussed (both recently and in the past), a huge concern is over "trade promotion authority" or "fast track authority," in which Congress completely abdicates its Constitutional role "to regulate commerce with foreign nations." Basically, this power allows the USTR, which is a part of the executive branch, to get Congress to more or less give the USTR the "power" to finalize the trade agreement. Without it, Congress can -- as it should -- debate the different parts of the TPP agreement, and push back on the (many) problematic ones. Yet, if Congress gives up that power, without even seeing the full agreement (!?!?), then all Congress can do is a simple yes or no vote -- and there will be so many goodies in there that it will be difficult for them to reject the entire agreement. The USTR and President Obama have been talking about the importance of getting this fast track authority from Congress for years -- but nothing has really come of it, nor has there been a direct public request. That suggests the administration knows it doesn't have the votes. In the past couple of months, the lobbying effort for getting fast track authority has ramped up a lot. While I still fear that Congress will cave on this, in the past few days, a group of 22 House Republicans and a (somewhat shocking) group of 151 House Democrats have sent separate letters to the White House, saying that they're opposed to granting fast track authority. Basically, it appears that Congress might actually be standing up for itself (shocking) on this issue, rather than just caving. That's nearly, though not quite, half of the House. It's not enough yet, but it does show that this isn't going to be easy (which again explains why there's been no real direct request yet). ...... A NY Times story about the letters notes that there's a lot of anger that the USTR has blocked Congressional staffers from even being able to take part in the negotiations or the discussions -- something we've discussed over the past couple years. The amazing thing here is that this mess that the USTR and President Obama are in right now over TPP was easily avoidable. Rather than negotiating in secret, and only sharing drafts with a select group of deep industry insiders, they easily could have and should have opened the discussion up publicly. The USTR should have released its own negotiating drafts from the very beginning, so that the public and Congress could weigh in while the process was ongoing. That way, there would be no surprises and no concerns. Instead, they kept the public and Congress out of it entirely -- putting extra special precautions against the public or Congress from finding out what was going on, so that we know the final product will have massive problems. And now they want Congress to just say "Sure, we trust you got it right"? Really? The USTR screwed this one up badly, and it's good to see Congress pushing back on this blatant attempt to usurp Congress' own powers. And The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) says Congress Must Not Fast Track TPP to Ratification ..... Last week EFF and 13 other organizations—including Amnesty International, Demand Progress, Free Software Foundation, and Knowledge Ecology International—sent a letter to the heads of US Congressional committees explaining that it is vitally important that democratically elected representatives are given the opportunity to review and amend international agreements to ensure that users' rights are included. They should not ignore the public interest by rubber-stamping agreements negotiated in near total secrecy. Fast track is the final step of locking the public out of trade negotiations. Congress, civil society, and the public at large should be consulted from the beginning over agreements like TPP. Compounding this problem, according to the Congressional Research Service the US Trade Rep is negotiating TPP as if fast track authority is in place, acting as if it has the unilateral authority to further a one-sided agenda. We need to demand that lawmakers oppose fast track, that they call for hearings, and that they exercise their authority to oversee the US trade office’s secret copyright agenda. Click EFF's TAKE ACTION - Stop Secret Copyright Treaties and sign!
And on The Big Picture Wednesday TPP - Wikileaks has released another bombshell Mike Papantonio, Ring of Fire Radio joins Thom Hartmann. Wikileaks has released another bombshell - this time publishing a portion of text from the secretly negotiated Trans Pacific Partnership....
And watch Lori Wallach, director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch on Thursday's DN! TPP Exposed: WikiLeaks Publishes Secret Trade Text to Rewrite Copyright Laws, Limit Internet Freedom. And for more information visit Public Citizen
At NationOfChange.org Dave Johnson asks Why Do We the People Have to Read TPP on Wikileaks? We the People finally get to read one chapter of the 29-chapter Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) “trade” agreement. If this agreement becomes law it will fundamentally alter the relationship between our government, other governments and giant multinational corporations, so you’d think America’s citizens would want to have a say in the negotiations. But the only reason We the People get to even read it at all is because it was leaked to Wikileaks. ........ TPP is being secretly negotiated in what appears to be a directed process designed so that the outcome will represent the profit interests of giant, multinational corporations but not the interests of … anyone else. 600 corporate representatives are involved, with access to the full text. We the People are not involved and do not have access to the text at all in full or in part. Even members of Congress are restricted in what they can see and how they can see it. The leaked section of TPP was negotiated with the interests of companies that hold patents and copyrights and profit from doing represented so at the table, while groups like the Electronic Frontier Foundation, consumer groups, patient protection groups etc. were NOT at the table. So it isn’t a surprise to read in the leaked chapter that there is a one-sided, pro-giant-pharmaceutical and -telecom result of this process. Matthew Rimmer, an expert in intellectual property law told the Sydney Morning Herald, ”One could see the TPP as a Christmas wish-list for major corporations, and the copyright parts of the text support such a view.” So 600 corporate representatives, lobbyists, etc. are part of the process, but:
- Consumer groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Democracy groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Labor groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Environmental groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Patient health groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Civil rights groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Animal rights groups are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Groups that advocate for the interests of pretty much anything that isn’t about corporate profits are not at the table, so their interests are not likely to be reflected in the outcome.
- Sources have told me — within Tokyo Electric — that they have no confidence that there’s any boron left between these fuel bundles. And they need boron to prevent the nuclear fuel from becoming a self-sustaining chain reaction, a criticality. So without boron in the plates — there are plates between these fuel bundles — but they got extraordinarily hot from not being cooled off the better part of a couple weeks, and they also were exposed to salt water. So that combination likely stripped out the boron. So the only thing Tokyo Electric can do is throw all sorts of boron into the water. Then pull the fuel. […] I ran a division that built fuel racks, and these high density fuel racks like they have a Fuksuhima are very close to going critical anyway. […] Normally its .95, as high as .99, that means there’s a 1% margin before a self-sustaining chain reaction can occur. The problem there is that the fuel pool doesn’t have the ability to remove the heat if these nuclear fuel bundles turn back.— a criticality means they turn back on outside of the nuclear reactor. So they have to be extraordinarily careful that they don’t start a chain reaction in the fuel pool […] If they get close together you can cause a chain reaction, and what will happen then is the water will begin to boil violently. Hopefully Tokyo Electric is going to be monitoring this really closely and the first indication of water bubbling, they push the rods back in. The problem though is that the rack is distorted and as you pull it, you’re pulling way more friction than it was designed to handle. It’s a real problem. (source)
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Jamela Alindogan, correspondent for Al Jazeera English reporting from Manila, Philippines "Unimaginable" Devastation as Philippines Hit With One of Worst Storms in History
- Maria Madamba-Nunez, Jeff Masters & Jamela Alindogan "If Not Now, Then When?": As Climate Talks Open in Poland, Philippines Devastated by Another Storm
- Ann Jones, writer and photographer, author of "They Were Soldiers: How the Wounded Return from America’s Wars—The Untold Story" The Untold Story of War: U.S. Veterans Face Staggering Epidemic of Unemployment, Trauma & Suicide
- Naderev "Yeb" Sano, Philippines climate change commissioner "Stop This Madness": Filipino Climate Chief Yeb Saño Begins Hunger Fast to Protest Global Inaction
- Thom Hartmann Thom Hartmann on "The Crash of 2016: The Plot to Destroy America—and What We Can Do to Stop It"
- Thom Hartmann As John Kerry Questions Official Story of JFK Killing, Thom Hartmann Discusses "Legacy of Secrecy"
- Dawud Walid, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations & dream hampton, writer, activist and filmmaker from Detroit "Criminalizing Black Corpses": No Charges Filed After White Man Kills Detroit Teen Renisha McBride
- Dave Pierre, spent 1,144 days in immigrant detention facing deportation & Abraham Paulos, executive director of Families For Freedom Exclusive: Dave Pierre on Surviving 1,144 Days Locked Up Inside the Failed U.S. Immigration System
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent based in Cairo and a fellow at The Nation Institute As New Protest Law Looms, Egypt Faces Harsher Authoritarian Order Than the Revolution Overthrew
- Bill Watson, trade policy analyst at the Cato Institute & Lori Wallach, director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch TPP Exposed: WikiLeaks Publishes Secret Trade Text to Rewrite Copyright Laws, Limit Internet Freedom
- Amy Ziering, producer of the documentary, The Invisible War Senate Faces Historic Vote on Handling Military Sexually Assault Epidemic Outside Chain of Command
- Sister Consuelo Morales, Catholic nun who works in Mexico A Nun Takes on the Drug War: Consuelo Morales on Crusading Against Mexican Cartels, Corrupt Police
- Jennifer Turner, human rights researcher with the American Civil Liberties Union Jailed for Life for Stealing a $159 Jacket? 3,200 Serving Life Without Parole for Nonviolent Crimes
- René Pérez, co-founder of the Puerto Rican band, Calle 13 Calle 13’s René "Residente" Pérez on Revolutionary Music, WikiLeaks & Puerto Rican Independence
- Monserrat Martinez & Alexis Stoumbelis Burning the Evidence: Gunmen Torch Records Documenting War Crimes, Missing Children in El Salvador
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW Fukushima: Animation of Fuel Rod Removal RStarting this month, the Tokyo Electric Company (TEPCO) will remove 1,534 damaged fuel rods from the damaged cooling pool at Fukushima Daiichi plant's Reactor Number Four. more.....
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN Chase finale at Homestead! It's the Ford EcoBoost 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway! Coverage begins at 3 pm et »»» SUNDAY FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA on NBC Chiefs @ Colts 8:30 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on ESPN Patriots @ Panthers 8:30 pm et »»» NBA on TBS THURSDAY DOUBLEHEADER! Clippers @ Thunder 8 pm et THEN Bulls @ Nuggets 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Meet the New CISPA. Same as the Old CISPA. Last year, thanks to a public outcry, the effort to pass overreaching cybersecurity legislation stalled in the Senate. Now supporters have reintroduced the House version of that legislation — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). The “new” version is in fact identical to the original CISPA — and poses the same threat to our digital civil liberties. If CISPA becomes law, it will be a major blow to our online privacy. But more than that, CISPA’s passage would have a chilling effect on our freedom to connect online. We won’t feel as free to state unpopular opinions, or to speak truth to power, if we know that Big Brother could get a feed of everything we say and do. This is not what the free and open Internet is about. We must tell Congress: Vote NO on CISPA and bury this bill for good.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the Private Manning Support Network! August 26, 2013, By attorney David Coombs and the Private Manning Support Network (formerly the Bradley Manning Support Network). Additional clarification on PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's request regarding her gender and name. With your continued support, our network will continue its advocacy efforts in support our heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower through this new phase of her life. ....... UPDATE! Should we abandon WikiLeaks whistle-blower Pvt. Manning? November 7, 2013. By the Private Manning Support Network. If your answer is "no," then we need your help. This American prisoner of conscience has shared her specific personal and legal goals going forward, and we need to raise $40,000 to fund these efforts that include her legal fees, family visits, transitioning, and education. ..... AND Update 11/1/13: Protesters rally in DC and around world to support whistleblowers At last week's Stopwatching.us rally thousands demonstrated in support of whistleblowers and transparency, while calling on the NSA to end its mass surveillance programs. Organizers called it the largest rally against mass surveillance yet. .....
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
B R I C K T E E V E E The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,291 US Military Dead as of Nov 15, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y.
• Gov. Scott Walker, R-Wis.
• JFK nephew Patrick Kennedy
documentary filmmaker Ken Burns
• ROUNDTABLE: Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., PBS “NewsHour” co-host and managing editor Gwen Ifill, former Obama White House senior adviser and ABC News contributor David Plouffe, ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd, former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, and Wall Street Journal foreign affairs columnist Bret Stephens.
• Sunday Spotlight: the founder of security contractor Blackwater USA Erik Prince discusses his new book, “Civilian Warriors: The Inside Story of Blackwater and the Unsung Heroes of the War on Terror.”
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer - "Face the Nation" live from the Texas School Book depository
• Luci Baines Johnson Turpin, Lyndon Johnson's youngest daughter.
• Hugh Aynesworth, who was a Dallas Morning News reporter covering President Kennedy's Dallas trip
• Mike Cochran, a former Associated Press correspondent who was enlisted to carry Oswald's coffin from the hearse to the gravesite when he covered the funeral.
• ROUNDTABLE: group of top historians about how this event changed the country and the presidency -- Douglas Brinkley, Thurston Clarke, and Larry Sabato; Harvard University's David Gergen and Peggy Noonan of the Wall Street Journal.
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• 60 Minutes apologizes for Benghazi report
• Gitmo - Lesley Stahl gets a rare view inside Guantanamo Bay prison, where 164 accused terrorists have been locked up, most for 11 years without charge or trial. Richard Bonin is the producer
• The Giving Pledge - A group of billionaires is pledging to give at least half their vast fortunes to charity in hopes of changing the world. Charlie Rose talks to some of them, including founding members Warren Buffett and Bill and Melinda Gates. Denise Schrier Cetta is the producer.
• The Recyclers - In the poorest section of Paraguay's capital, residents have fashioned musical instruments from refuse they scavenged at a dump that the local community depends on for its livelihood. Now, as Bob Simon reports, they have an orchestra that's raising spirits and providing hope. Michael Gavshon is the producer
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.
• Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H.
• ROUNDTABLE: NBC Special Correspondent Tom Brokaw; Washington Post columnist Kathleen Parker; Republican Strategist Mike Murphy; and host of MSNBC’s “Hardball,” Chris Matthews.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines and at noon ET.
•Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
• Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo
• Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• WEDNESDAY CHURCH MEETIN!! Pull up a cold one! Listen NOW HERE - Wednesday, November 13th, 2013 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - November 14, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Another massive natural gas pipeline explosion in the US; Shoddy construction discovered on southern Keystone XL pipeline; Majority of red-state Americans now accept climate science; PLUS: The continuing and predicted humanitarian disaster of Super Typhoon Haiyan ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): A carbon tax would cut the deficit by $1 trillion; An innovative bamboo scooter that runs on AIR; 2013 is seventh hottest year; Warsaw talks thrash out UN climate roadmap; Climate deniers must pay $90k; Walmart’s emissions soar despite green talk; Could Carl Sagan have defeated climate denial?; New 'plastic-eating' ecosystem discovered in deep ocean; US crushes ivory to stop poaching; CA faces driest year on record ... PLUS: The 9 biggest weather disasters in the next 30 Years ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - November 12, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: The devastation of Super Typhoon Haiyan, and the climate change signal; PLUS: The denial industry sinks to new lows, as the U.N. meets again to hammer out a global climate treaty ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Randi Rhodes Axed by Clear Channel's Premiere Networks What 'public airwaves'? The nation's largest syndication company, owned by largest station owner in U.S., is cleansing the public airwaves of one of the last non-RW voices left on it... UPDATE! PREMIERE CHANGES MIND, WILL KEEP RANDI RHODES After announcing end of her contract earlier this week, the nation's largest syndicator says the progressive talker will stay on air 2014 after all. UPDATED: Rhodes confirms, audio added...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Tallying VA's 'Missing' Op-Scan Votes; And Other Surprises in the Incredibly Close VA AG Election Officials in Fairfax County confirmed Diebold op-scan failure was behind 'missing' votes; 3000 now added in incredibly close race...but there was another surprise on Friday...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Climate Scientists Urge CA Guv to Stop Fracking Letter to Gov. Jerry Brown details dangers of fracking the Golden State, just days before state issues draft regulations for fracking, receives praise from the fossil fuel industry...
• BRADCAST! KPFK 'BradCast': Lara Logan's Wingnuttery & CBS' '60 Minutes' Benghazi Disaster Guest Heather Parton (aka, the great 'Digby'!) joins Brad; PLUS: Pitfalls ahead in the insanely close VA Attorney General's race...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment 12 Nov 2013 PBC News & Comment: The Monster That is Our “Justice” System We open with 3 cases of wrongful incarceration: Roger Shuler in Alabama, Michael Morton in Texas, Kash Register in California…..
• PBC News & Comment 13 Nov 2013 PBC News & Comment: 12 Years of Lawless Injustice at Guantanamo No end in sight for Guantanamo Bay prison that symbolizes the absolute worst about America and helps create new enemies….
• PBC News & Comment 15 Nov 2013 PBC News & Comment: Federal Judges Mete Out Sentences for Hacker, Leaker, and Mobster Hacktivist Jeremy Hammond draws 10 years, makes strong statement; FBI leaker gets 3+ years; Whitey Bulger gets 2 life sentences….
• PBC Standard Podcast Nov. 15, 2013 Whistleblower Adds to Important New Study of Defects in Southern Leg of Keystone XL Pipeline; Steve Horn Returns to Update Keystone, Fracking Propaganda, and More
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Nov. 16, 2013 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
• Rolling Stone contributing editor Tim Dickinson will tell us how Republicans have rigged the electoral system to the point that they can almost never lose.
• Author and historian Rick Perlstein will tell us about the history of Republican extremism.
• Author Frank Schaeffer will explain how the Tea Party’s extreme positions are coming directly from evangelical leaders.
• Washington Post columnist Harold Meyerson will tell us about the divide between corporate Democrats and Progressive Democrats.
• And author Les Leopold will join us for a discussion on why millionaires and billionaires are getting government handouts, while the needy are having to sacrifice even more.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Nov 16, 2013 Sundays at NOON!
»» Investigative journalist and newspaper publisher Rick Outzen will talk about a new report detailing ALEC legislation state by state that is destroying worker wages.
»» Author Les Leopold will tell us why the government is cutting benefits for poor Americans, while subsidizing the incomes of the wealthiest.
»» Attorney Ned McWilliams will tell us about the recent revelation that the FDA might have cut corners when testing Pradaxa.
»» Attorney Howard Nations will tell us how American taxpayers have to subsidize the low wages of minimum wage workers.
»» Attorney Mike Burg is going to talk about how Big Pharma is getting around the FDA approval process to peddle deadly drugs.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on November 9, 2013 by Joshua Schwitzerlett - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Tell Obama To Kill The TPP (VIDEO) Mike Papantonio talks with Ed Schultz about the dangers of the Trans Pacific Partnership, which could give corporate America a free pass to circumvent international laws.
• VIDEO! Pap and Seder: Progressive Presidential Hopefuls Must Get Busy (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder discuss the resurgence of progressive senators that are fighting against Social Security cuts, and how many of these senators need to focus on the 2016 election before it’s too late.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Obama MUST Drop the TPP (VIDEO) President Obama wants to fast-track approval of the Trans Pacific Partnership, which is a massive giveaway to corporations looking to skirt the law. There is a growing coalition of members of Congress from BOTH sides of the political aisle to abort the project, but Obama still wants to move forward. Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio talks about this with Lori Wallach, the director of Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 11/11/13 Benjamin Radcliff: Nanny State Is A Happy State
• TUESDAY 11/12/13 Carl Hart:Challenging Everything You Know About Drugs & Society
• WEDNESDAY 11/13/13 Isaac William Martin: Rich People’s Movements
• THURSDAY 11/14/13 Mike Konczal: Next Steps To Reign In Banks
• FRIDAY 11/15/13 M&M Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Matthew Film Guy Weiss
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here!
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• Timothy Geithner Joins Private Equity Firm, Warburg Pincus by maxkeiser - READ Little Timmah’s hard work paid off. (wsj.com)
• VIDEO! George Galloway on spying and WW1 (16Nov13) by maxkeiser
• Testify in court: Environmental crusader Rev. Billy might face prison by maxkeiser - READ Talen got news that he wasn’t expecting. The City of New York was charging Talen and choir director Nehemiah Luckett with riot in the second degree, menacing in the third degree, unlawful assembly, and two counts of disorderly conduct for the Chase protest. (grist.org
• An #occupy activist and socialist wins city council seat in Seattle by maxkeiser - READ Seattle elects socialist candidate to city council (ap.org)
• KEISER REPORT [KR522] Keiser Report: Troika Occupiers (ft. Peter Schiff) We discuss drinking the kool aid (never mind the cyanide) while the young and unemployed of Ireland are encouraged to emigrate by government economists determined to flatter their Troika stats. In the second half, Max interviews author and investor, Peter Schiff, about inflation in fraud as governments want a cut of financial crimes and the trickle down monetary policy ponzi scheme.
Read more at http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/11/kr522-keiser-report-troika-occupiers-ft-peter-schiff/#JQDAE4ObB4fEEgfs.99
• KEISER REPORT [KR523] Keiser Report: Mud Pie of State Benefits We discuss people fighting for the last dregs of the mud pie of state benefits while a new Investor State emerges contactable only if you can find their unmanned customer service line. In the second half, Max interviews author and gold bug, Dominic Frisby about his new book – Life After the State. They look at polls suggesting the UK public wants more state intervention rather than less and also at the rise of the stateless currency – bitcoin.
Read more at http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/11/kr523-keiser-report-mud-pie-of-state-benefits/#ljWewRuXcOeafr4g.99
• KEISER REPORT [KR524] Keiser Report: Deadly Money Printing Sins We discuss confessions and corruption, back doors and austerity. They look at Mark Carney’s claim that house prices are rising because of expectations of higher wages and at David Cameron’s calls for permanent austerity for the non-corporate class. Max suggests QE is being used not only to keep TBTF banks afloat but to keep whole bankers that would otherwise be vivisected. In the second half, Max interviews Cody Wilson about living in a trifecta of disruptive technologies as a citizen of the future in which bitcoin means a thousand silk roads and fanfare for the common man. They discuss Cody’s latest project – DARK WALLET.
Read more at http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/11/kr524-keiser-report-deadly-money-printing-sins/#IVuT1ugjurTSacXE.99
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1294] The Truth About Propaganda & Banking Fraud Stacy Summary: The Truth About Markets for 02 November 2013. We recorded on my Macbook Air, so sorry about quality not being as good as usual!. Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday from 3-5 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up, and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream.......
• Scott Horton Radio Show 10/28/13 Michael Swanson: Michael Swanson is the author of The War State: The Cold War Origins Of The Military-Industrial Complex And The Power Elite, 1945-1963. This is the third interview in a series of in-depth discussions about the book.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 11/13/13 Philip Giraldi: Philip Giraldi, executive director of the Council for the National Interest, discusses the near-mutiny of intelligence analysts over the White House’s assessment that blamed Syria’s government for the gas attack in Damascus; the widespread suspicion that Israel fabricated intercept evidence implicating Syria’s military in the attack; and the new non-Al Qaeda Syrian rebel group backed by Saudi Arabia.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 11/13/13 Jason Leopold: Jason Leopold, a journalist at Al Jazeera, discusses the fascinating newly released journals of high-profile Guantanamo prisoner and jihadist Abu Zubaydah; why journalist Ron Suskind (and his FBI source) were wrong about Abu Zubaydah being crazy; and how the CIA used Abu Zubaydah’s deepest fears against him in their torture program.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 11/14/13 Gareth Porter: Gareth Porter, an independent investigative journalist and historian, discusses why Iran nuclear talks failed and why they will get tougher; the lousy deal ultimately offered up to Iran – probably from Israeli pressure; and the overconfidence in the US’s negotiating position.
• Visit his blog Stress. See ScottHorton.org for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Karen Ignagni of America’s Health Insurance Plans
• former Senator Ben Nelson of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners
• Liz Cheney, daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml