Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
CHEM SPILL SPECIAL FIRST UP Craig Aaron at FreePress.net does the math Comcast + Time Warner Cable = Disaster Comcast just announced that it’s buying Time Warner Cable. If approved, this outrageous deal would create a television and Internet colossus like no other. Comcast is the country’s #1 cable and Internet company and Time Warner Cable is #2. Put them together and you get a single giant controlling a massive share of our nation’s TV and Internet-access markets. No one woke up this morning wishing their cable company was bigger or had more control over what they watch and how they get online. But that is the reality we’ll face unless the Justice Department and the Federal Communications Commission do their jobs and block this merger. Stopping this kind of deal is exactly why we have antitrust laws. After a year of sustained organizing, we convinced the DoJ and the FCC to stop AT&T from gobbling up T-Mobile. This merger would put more than a third of all cable-TV subscribers in Comcast’s hands and give it control over more than half of the “triple-play” services that combine TV, phone and Internet service. Don’t forget, Comcast already owns NBC, MSNBC, Universal Studios and tons of cable channels. That means that for most of America, Comcast could control even more of what you see and how you see it. Putting this much power in the hands of one company is dangerous. This deal would lead to less consumer choice, less diversity and much higher cable bills. Tell the FCC and the DoJ to stop this merger today. This is a fight we can win.
David Sirota reports Old media outlets collude with politicians to protect monopoly, punish media startups Here’s some good recent news for free-speech advocates: A federal court recently ruled that bloggers, online journalists and the public at large enjoy the same protections as legacy news outlets do when facing defamation lawsuits. Now for some bad news: Some of those legacy news outlets are colluding with politicians to try to protect an artificial information monopoly, one that conveniently protects media industry dinosaurs and punishes new media upstarts. The latest example of this larger trend comes from Colorado, but it is merely one chapter in a larger story of government granting private companies monopoly control over public information. That story most famously includes government efforts to stop activist Aaron Swartz from ending the corporate hammerlock on court records, taxpayer-funded research and other public records. In the Colorado iteration of this story, the details are different, but it is the same basic tale. ....... READ ON! MORE SIROTA! PBS Becoming the Plutocrats Broadcasting Service In a world of screaming cable television hosts and partisan media outlets, PBS is supposed to be the last refuge for honest news. This is ostensibly why taxpayers still contribute money to the public broadcasting system. That money is appropriated to try to guarantee that there remains at least one forum for unvarnished facts, even if such facts offend those with money and power. The problem, though, is that because our government spends so little on public media as compared to many other industrialized countries, our most prominent public media outlets are becoming instruments for special interests to launder their ideological agenda through a seemingly objective brand. Starved for public resources, these outlets are increasingly trying to get their programming funded with money from corporations and wealthy political activists — and that kind of cash comes with ideological expectations. Case in point is the Public Broadcasting Service, as evidenced by the major report we published this week at PandoDaily. In that story, we meticulously documented how PBS's flagship affiliate, WNET of New York, solicited funding from former Enron trader John Arnold. The $3.5 million Arnold contributed was earmarked for a "Pension Peril" series now airing in PBS NewsHour broadcasts on stations throughout the country. If that was the entire story, it might not be much of a story. However, at the same time the billionaire Arnold is funding PBS's pension-related coverage, he is also sponsoring the nationwide legislative push to slash public employee pension benefits. Indeed, with his massive contributions to Super PACs, think tanks and local front groups, Arnold is financing a national movement to convince legislators to, in the words of his foundation, "stop promising a (retirement) benefit" to public workers. This is likely why the Arnold-backed PBS pension series has loyally echoed the billionaire's anti-pension themes. Case in point is the Public Broadcasting Service, as evidenced by the major report we published this week at PandoDaily. In that story, we meticulously documented how PBS's flagship affiliate, WNET of New York, solicited funding from former Enron trader John Arnold. The $3.5 million Arnold contributed was earmarked for a "Pension Peril" series now airing in PBS NewsHour broadcasts on stations throughout the country. If that was the entire story, it might not be much of a story. However, at the same time the billionaire Arnold is funding PBS's pension-related coverage, he is also sponsoring the nationwide legislative push to slash public employee pension benefits. Indeed, with his massive contributions to Super PACs, think tanks and local front groups, Arnold is financing a national movement to convince legislators to, in the words of his foundation, "stop promising a (retirement) nefit" to public workers. This is likely why the Arnold-backed PBS pension series has loyally echoed the billionaire's anti-pension themes. ........ David Sirota tweeted...NYT: WNET to return $3.5 million to John Arnold, after @PandoDaily report exposes secret deal http://t.co/PcKPkl0F0Y which goes to the NYT and Elizabeth Jensen's story WNET to Return $3.5 Million Grant for Pension Series WNET, the New York City public television broadcaster, said on Friday that it would return a $3.5 million grant it received to sponsor an ambitious project on public pensions in the face of charges that it solicited inappropriate underwriting for the series. In the absence of the funding from the Laura and John Arnold Foundation, the project, called “Pension Peril,” will go on hiatus, although WNET will continue to report on the topic. The series, which began in September, was examining the economic sustainability of public pensions. .......... In a joint statement from PBS and WNET, PBS said it stood by WNET’s reporting in the series but “in order to eliminate any perception on the part of the public, our viewers and donors that the foundation’s interests influenced the editorial integrity of the reporting for this program,” WNET would return the gift. Leila Walsh, a spokeswoman for the foundation, said by email that it “never sought, nor did we receive, any editorial control or access to the programming.” She added that the foundation remained “committed to educating the public about our nation’s severe pension problems and solutions that protect workers and their retirement security.” ........ PBS’s “perception test” guidelines prohibit accepting funding for public affairs programs if “there exists a clear and direct connection” between the interests of a proposed funder and the program’s subject matter, even if the funder has no editorial control. Stephen Segaller, WNET’s vice president for programming, said in the statement, “We made a mistake, pure and simple.” ........ He added that the grant had been solicited with “absolute conviction” that the foundation was an acceptable funder. Late Friday, the PBS ombudsman, Michael Getler, weighed in, saying Mr. Sirota’s article shined a light on “what seems to me to be ethical compromises in funding arrangements and lack of real transparency for viewers.”
NEXT in a related matter Reporters Without Borders releases 2014 Press Freedom Index US drops 13 spots to 47th The 2014 Reporters Without Borders World Press Freedom Index spotlights major declines in media freedom in such varied countries as the United States, Central African Republic and Guatemala and, on the other hand, marked improvements in Ecuador, Bolivia and South Africa. The same trio of Finland, Netherlands and Norway heads the index again, while Turkmenistan, North Korea and Eritrea continue to be the biggest information black holes, again occupying the last three positions. “The World Press Freedom Index is a reference tool that is based on seven criteria: the level of abuses, the extent of pluralism, media independence, the environment and self-censorship, the legislative framework, transparency and infrastructure,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Christophe Deloire. ..... The index is available in print for the first time. An enhanced version is being published (in French) by the French publishing house Flammarion in its Librio collection. The index, together with regional and thematic analyses, continues to be available in English, French and other languages on the Reporters Without Borders website (rsf.org). Reporters Without Borders has also introduced a three-dimensional visualization of the performances of the 180 ranked countries. This year’s index covers 180 countries, one more than the 179 countries covered in last year’s index. The newcomer is Belize, which has been ranked in the enviable position of 29th. ....... The 2014 index emphasizes the negative correlation between armed conflicts and freedom of information. In an unstable environment, the media become strategic goals or targets for groups or individuals trying to control news and information in violation of the guarantees enshrined in international conventions. ......... Far from these conflicts, in countries where the rule of law prevails, security arguments are misused as grounds for restricting freedom of information. Invoked too readily, the protection of national security is encroaching on hard-won democratic rights. In the United States (46th, -13), the hunt for leaks and whistleblowers serves as a warning to those thinking of satisfying a public interest need for information about the imperial prerogatives assumed by the world’s leading power. The United Kingdom (33rd, -3) has followed in the US wake, distinguishing itself by its harassment of The Guardian. ....... In Israel (96th), which regained some of the places it lost in the previous index because of Operation Pillar of Defence’s impact on freedom of information, the territorial integrity imperative often suppresses freedom of information about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. ....... See the World Press Freedom Index and the 3-dimensional map "freedom of the press worldwide"! Good item!
At Washington's Blog David Swanson tells us about A People’s Movement to End All War When people sign the declaration of peace at WorldBeyondWar.org they have the opportunity to type in a brief statement in their own words. Thousands have done so, including those pasted below. (And a few great quotes from the past have been added here in graphic form.) .....
GOPher WAR ON WOMEN UPDATE: At CrooksAndLiars.com karoli invites us to Meet The Other Billionaire Brothers Funding Right-Wing Causes Fracking billionaires Farris and Dan Wilks are using their wealth to fund ultra-religious right wing anti-gay, anti-choice groups. When Dan and Farris Wilks expanded the family's masonry business to include a fracking equipment sideline, belonging to the Billionaire Boys Club was probably not foremost on their minds. But when they sold their interest in Frac Tech to outside investors in 2011, that's exactly what happened. They became instant billionaires, worth more than T. Boone Pickens. That instant billionaire status made the Wilks brothers popular among candidates like Rand Paul and Ted Cruz, who rely upon the support of the uber-religious and ultra-rich to win elections. Flush with their new wealth, both brothers set up foundations and set about the business of being charitable fellows, while reaping a nice tax benefit for their largesse. Dan Wilks limited the majority of his charitable activity to church donations and crisis centers, but Farris Wilks linked arms with the Kochtopus and helped fund many right-wing, anti-choice efforts around the country in 2012 through the Thirteen Foundation. ........... As you may have gathered from the video above, Farris Wilks is a very religious man who thinks gays are Satan's spawn. But as hot as his fire is for gays, he loathes abortion even more. In 2012 he had the money to back that loathing with action. Wilks gave to the usual national anti-gay, anti-choice groups like Family Research Council ($265,000), Liberty Counsel ($500,000) and Focus on the Family ($1,100,000). On a regional level, the Texas Right to Life Committee received $160,000 and 40 Days for Life received $20,000. The foundation gives generously to pregnancy crisis centers, too. But that's the tip of the iceberg. Farris Wilks is the engine underneath two other activist organizations that seek to stop women from exercising their lawful right to choose. ........ Much more! YIKES! WOMEN OF THE UNITED STATES UNITE! Stop these troglodytes NOW! GOPher WAR ON GAYS UPDATE: And in Kansas it gets worse as Slate's Mark Joseph Stern explains why Kansas’ Anti-Gay Segregation Bill Is an Abomination On Tuesday, the Kansas House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a measure designed to bring anti-gay segregation—under the guise of “religious liberty”—to the already deep-red state. The bill, written out of fear that the state may soon face an Oklahoma-style gay marriage ruling, will now easily pass the Republican Senate and be signed into law by the Republican governor. The result will mark Kansas as the first state, though certainly not the last, to legalize segregation of gay and straight people in virtually every arena of life. If that sounds overblown, consider the bill itself. When passed, the new law will allow any individual, group, or private business to refuse to serve gay couples if “it would be contrary to their sincerely held religious beliefs.” Private employers can continue to fire gay employees on account of their sexuality. Stores may deny gay couples goods and services because they are gay. Hotels can eject gay couples or deny them entry in the first place. Businesses that provide public accommodations—movie theaters, restaurants—can turn away gay couples at the door. And if a gay couple sues for discrimination, they won’t just lose; they’ll be forced to pay their opponent’s attorney’s fees. As I’ve noted before, anti-gay businesses might as well put out signs alerting gay people that their business isn’t welcome. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to barring all anti-discrimination lawsuits against private employers, the new law permits government employees to deny service to gays in the name of “religious liberty.” This is nothing new, but the sweep of Kansas’ statute is breathtaking. Any government employee is given explicit permission to discriminate against gay couples—not just county clerks and DMV employees, but literally anyone who works for the state of Kansas. ......... Supporting the bill on the House floor, Republican state Rep. Charles Macheers proclaimed that “discrimination is horrible. It’s hurtful. … It has no place in civilized society, and that’s precisely why we’re moving this bill.” The latter claim is absurd, of course—this bill is an explicit effort to make gay people’s lives miserable—but the former is absolutely true. Discrimination is hurtful and horrible, and it will also soon be codified into Kansas law, as other red states look on (and follow suit)........ THEN read Juan Cole's Top 10 Reasons Rand Paul’s Lewinsky Gambit Can’t Obscure GOP War on Women.
NEW WHISTLEBLOWER WEBSITE! Glenn Greenwald and Jeremy Scahill launch their new website The Intercept as part of FirstLook.org with this bombshell The NSA’s Secret Role in the U.S. Assassination Program The National Security Agency is using complex analysis of electronic surveillance, rather than human intelligence, as the primary method to locate targets for lethal drone strikes – an unreliable tactic that results in the deaths of innocent or unidentified people. According to a former drone operator for the military’s Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) who also worked with the NSA, the agency often identifies targets based on controversial metadata analysis and cell-phone tracking technologies. Rather than confirming a target’s identity with operatives or informants on the ground, the CIA or the U.S. military then orders a strike based on the activity and location of the mobile phone a person is believed to be using. The drone operator, who agreed to discuss the top-secret programs on the condition of anonymity, was a member of JSOC’s High Value Targeting task force, which is charged with identifying, capturing or killing terrorist suspects in Yemen, Somalia, Afghanistan and elsewhere. His account is bolstered by top-secret NSA documents previously provided by whistleblower Edward Snowden. It is also supported by a former drone sensor operator with the U.S. Air Force, Brandon Bryant, who has become an outspoken critic of the lethal operations in which he was directly involved in Iraq, Afghanistan and Yemen. In one tactic, the NSA “geolocates” the SIM card or handset of a suspected terrorist’s mobile phone, enabling the CIA and U.S. military to conduct night raids and drone strikes to kill or capture the individual in possession of the device. The former JSOC drone operator is adamant that the technology has been responsible for taking out terrorists and networks of people facilitating improvised explosive device attacks against U.S. forces in Afghanistan. But he also states that innocent people have “absolutely” been killed as a result of the NSA’s increasing reliance on the surveillance tactic......... Much more! See Scahill and Greenwald on DN! below! and Check out more stories at firstlook.org/theintercept including New Photos of the NSA and Other Top Intelligence Agencies Revealed for First Time and Obama DOJ’s New Abuse of State-Secrets Privilege Revealed, WOW!
Before we get to the man-made chemical disasters we need to look at The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert Over the last half a billion years, there have been five mass extinctions, when the diversity of life on earth suddenly and dramatically contracted. Scientists around the world are currently monitoring the sixth extinction, predicted to be the most devastating extinction event since the asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs. This time around, the cataclysm is us. In The Sixth Extinction, two-time winner of the National Magazine Award and New Yorker writer Elizabeth Kolbert draws on the work of scores of researchers in half a dozen disciplines, accompanying many of them into the field: geologists who study deep ocean cores, botanists who follow the tree line as it climbs up the Andes, marine biologists who dive off the Great Barrier Reef. .......... Kolbert provides a moving account of the disappearances occurring all around us and traces the evolution of extinction as concept, from its first articulation by Georges Cuvier in revolutionary Paris up through the present day. The sixth extinction is likely to be mankind's most lasting legacy; as Kolbert observes, it compels us to rethink the fundamental question of what it means to be human. Scroll down to our BTV ALERTS to watch Elizabeth Kolbert on DN! Thom Hartmann also has this book The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight which you can get from barnesandnoble.com or alibris.com
Ari Phillips at ClimateProgress has this VIDEO: Explosion And Fire At Chevron Natural Gas Well In Pennsylvania from Tuesday At around 6:45 this morning a fire was reported at a Chevron natural gas well in Greene County, Pennsylvania, just north of the West Virginia border. As of early afternoon, one person had been injured and another was still missing, according to statements from the company. Twenty workers were on the scene at the time of the fire. While Chevron did not initially know the cause of the blast, the fire chief on scene recently said it was caused by natural gas. According to Chevron spokeswoman Lee Ann Wainwright, the well was in the final stages of being put in production. ........... Pennsylvania governor Tom Corbett recently proposed allowing gas drilling in the state’s parks and forests after a four-year ban, listing energy independence and economic security as reasons to ramp up fracking the massive Marcellus Shale region. Drilling on public lands fragments the land via pad construction, roads, and pipelines and makes the habitat more vulnerable to chemical spills or explosive fires.
NEXT Ken Ward Jr. of the West Virginia Gazette reports Tuesday 'Significant' coal slurry spill blackens Kanawha County creek CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- More than 100,000 gallons of coal slurry poured into an eastern Kanawha County stream Tuesday in what officials were calling a "significant spill" from a Patriot Coal processing facility. Emergency officials and environmental inspectors said that roughly six miles of Fields Creek had been blackened and that a smaller amount of the slurry made it into the Kanawha River near Chesapeake. "There has been a significant environmental impact," said Harold Ward, acting director of the state Department of Environmental Protection's Division of Mining and Reclamation. The incident occurred at Patriot Coal's Kanawha Eagle operation, Ward said. Initially, Dale Petry, director of emergency services for Kanawha County, said that an eight-inch slurry line between the preparation plant and the company's refuse impoundment ruptured, sending an underdetermined amount of coal waste into the creek before the flow was stopped. Later, DEP officials said they had determined that the spill was caused by a malfunction of a valve inside the slurry line carrying material from the preparation plant to a separate disposal site, not to an impoundment. ...... Patriot officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. .......... This is at least the third slurry incident since 2010 at the Kanawha Eagle cite. In late November, black water was discharged into South Hollow Stream, and ended up in Fields Creek. The company was fined $663. In October of 2010, there was a slurry line break that discharged into Spicelick and Joes Creek, impacting about 3 miles of stream. The company was fined $22,400. On Tuesday, Huffman said fines alone were not enough of a deterrent to prevent spills. "At some point companies will just pay. We have to do more than that, we can't just send them a bill and say you have to pay this to continue operating, there have to be fundamental changes made at a facility that's had multiple incidents," Huffman said. "Maybe there needs to be a top down review of all their processes. Maybe there's a cultural change within that company that needs to take place that has more of an emphasis on safety, environmental controls, things like that." .......
Listen to Bob Kincaid explain it all on Tuesday's show 1st hour. And watch BOB KINCAID ON THE MIKE MALLOY SHOW discussing these recent chem "leaks". NEXT Emily Atkin at ClimateProgress tells us Company Responsible For West Virginia Chemical Spill Skips Congressional Hearing Exactly one month and a day after 10,000 gallons of chemicals spilled into West Virginia’s water, members of the U.S. House Transportation and Infrastructure committee on Monday traveled to the state’s capital city, ostensibly to ask state leaders the still-unanswered questions surrounding the leak. There are many. Perhaps the most important party that could provide answers would have been Freedom Industries, the company whose chemical storage tanks leaked a coal-cleaning chemical called crude MCHM into the water. Company president Gary Southern had been invited to testify, but in the end, did not show up. “I find that extremely telling,” said Rep. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV). “Freedom Industries’ decision not to testify today compounds its gross misconduct, and is an absolute affront to every person impacted by its spill.” Freedom Industries’ decision not to show up to a hearing that otherwise housed every party that should be held accountable for the spill (Representatives from West Virginia American Water, West Virginia’s Department of Environmental Protection, and the U.S. Chemical Safety Board showed up, to name a few) is depressingly typical, and a painful reminder of the company’s non-presence throughout the month-long ordeal. “They’ve been basically out of the picture since day one of this crisis, even though they were the cause of the crisis,” Executive Director of West Virginia Citizen Action Gary Zuckett, told ClimateProgress, recalling the events of the week following the spill. “The first thing that [Freedom] did was file for bankruptcy. The second thing they did was open a new corporation to loan the first corporation money.” ......... When asked for comment by the Huffington Post, a representative for Freedom Industries referred to its lawyer, Paul Vey, who said Southern did not attend “simply because the company is relatively small and we are focused exclusively on remediation of the spill.” And considering all the bad press, Zuckett said maybe it was for the best that Southern didn’t show up to the hearing. “He was digging this thing deeper,” Zuckett said. “They wisely decided to get him out of the spotlight.” At Salon.com Lindsay Abrams also notes The company responsible for West Virginia’s chemical spill didn’t bother to show up to the congressional hearing ......... Here’s what we learned:
- The storage facility containing the leaked chemical never should have been built upstream from a water treatment plant in the first place, according to Rafael Moure-Eraso, chairman of the independent safety board. Citing regulation gaps, he told the committee: “The facility just did not need to be where it was.”
- Freedom Industries ordered its own review of the storage tanks last October, after which environmental consultants determined that the storage units were “not necessarily” in full compliance with EPA and industry standards: they were built on porous ground, and a “last resort” containment wall was improperly constructed.
- Yes, West Virginians’ water still smells like licorice — a telltale sign of the chemical’s presence — but levels of MCHM in the water are below the safety threshold set by the CDC. West Virginia American Water’s Jeff McIntyre explained: “Just because you smell something doesn’t mean it’s not safe.”
- But that also doesn’t mean it is safe. State Bureau of Public Health commissioner Dr. Letitia Tierney attempted to give a definite answer thusly: “That’s in a way a difficult thing to say because everybody has a different definition of safe.”
- Believe it or not, West Virginia American Water customers still don’t trust the water. As Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., told Metro News: “It is such a simple, stark, understandable phrase, ‘The drinking water is safe.’ It’s frustrating that nobody could say that today!”
- Bankrupt Freedom Industries is “focused exclusively on remediation of the spill,” according to the company’s lawyer, attempting explain why it failed to send a representative to the hearing. An alternative explanation, provided by Capito: “Freedom Industries’ decision not to testify today compounds its gross misconduct, and is an absolute affront to every person impacted by its spill.”
- For progressives, there’s one other not-so-small thing. There was a study last year showing that the Koch brothers might make as much as $100 billion in profit off this pipeline over its 40-year lifespan, $100 billion, even for the Koch brothers a lot of money. And one doesn’t have to guess very widely what some of that money—what political use it will be put to in this country.
- Sign up to indicate that you'll participate and receive updates.
- Sign up to install widgets on websites encouraging its visitors to fight back against surveillance. (These are being finalized in coming days.)
- Use the social media tools on the site to announce your participation.
- Develop memes, tools, websites, and do whatever else you can to participate -- and encourage others to do the same.
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Jeremy Scahill & Glenn Greenwald Death By Metadata: Jeremy Scahill & Glenn Greenwald Reveal NSA Role in Assassinations Overseas
- More Scahill & Greenwald Report: Obama Administration Considers Assassinating Another American Overseas
- More Scahill & Greenwald Defying Threats to Journalism, Jeremy Scahill & Glenn Greenwald Launch New Venture, The Intercept
- Rainey Reitman, activism director at the Electronic Frontier Foundation The Day We Fight Back: Activism Sweeps the Internet with Global Action Against Mass Surveillance
- Elizabeth Kolbert,istaff writer at The New Yorker magazine, Author of "The Sixth Extinction" The Sixth Extinction: Elizabeth Kolbert on How Humans Are Causing Largest Die-Off Since Dinosaur Age
- More Elizabeth Kolbert Bridgegate Scandal Grows as NJ Lawmakers Issue 18 Subpoenas to Christie’s Office, Port Authority
- Madiha Tahir, freelance journalist and director of the documentary Wounds of Waziristan "Karim Khan, Anti-Drone Activist Who Lost Family Members to U.S. Strike, Goes Missing in Pakistan
- More Madiha Tahir Drone on Your iPhone: Apple Drops Objections to App Tracking U.S. Strikes Overseas
- Desmond Meade, president of the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition. From Jail to Law School: Jim Crow-Era Law Bars Florida Man from Voting, Taking Bar, Serving on Jury
- Delphine Halgand, U.S. director of Reporters Without Borders U.S. Plunges in Global Press Freedom Rankings as Obama Wages "War on Whistleblowers"
- Weather Undrerground Meteorologist Jeff Masters Meteorologist Jeff Masters: Climate Change Affecting Weather Patterns Regardless of Season
- 350.org's Bill McKibben "This Should Not Come as a Surprise": Bill McKibben on Global Extreme Weather from U.S. to Sochi
- More Bill McKibben Bill McKibben on Fight Against Keystone XL, Fossil Fuel Divestment and Obama’s Failures on Climate
- More Bill McKibben N.C. Governor No Longer Works for Duke Energy, But After Coal Spill, Is He Doing Their Bidding?
- Amy Adams, North Carolina campaign coordinator at Appalachian Voices Debate: Was Snowden Justified? Former NSA Counsel Stewart Baker vs. Whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW State of Female Justice 2014: What Makes You Rise? "The State of Female Justice" is a public conversation series produced by VDay and GRITtv as part of the One Billion Rising Campaign. With host Laura Flanders, Eve Ensler and Kimberle Crenshaw join Mayor Gayle McLaughlin, actress Olivia Wilde and others for a discussion of justice and equity......... more!
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» Sochi Winter Olypics on NBC See TV Listings »»» NBA ASLL STAR GAME on TNT Eastern Conf at Western Conf 8 pm et »»» NBA on TNT Thursday Doubleheader! Heat @ Thunder at 8 pm et then Rockets @ Warriors 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Tell the FCC: Restore Net Neutrality An appeals court just dealt the latest blow to the open Internet. The court struck down the Federal Communications Commission’s Open Internet Order because of the questionable legal framework the agency used when it adopted its Net Neutrality rules in 2010. This ruling means there is no one who can protect us from ISPs that block or discriminate against websites, applications or services. But there’s hope: FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler can correct the agency’s past mistakes and truly protect our nation’s communications infrastructure. The agency must take the necessary steps to make broadband networks open, accessible, reliable and affordable for everyone. Tell the FCC to start treating broadband like a communications service, and to restore its Net Neutrality rules.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! UPDATE! Legalize Democracy Film Premieres on Free Speech TV Jan 21 Move to Amend is thrilled to announce that the premiere of our mini documentary, Legalize Democracy, will be airing on Free Speech TV (FSTV) next week to coincide with the "anniversary" of Citizens United. Legalize Democracy is a 28 minute film by Dennis Trainor, Jr. about the movement to amend -- why it is needed, and how you can get involved. Watch live on our website here. Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the Private Manning Support Network! August 26, 2013, By attorney David Coombs and the Private Manning Support Network (formerly the Bradley Manning Support Network). Additional clarification on PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's request regarding her gender and name. With your continued support, our network will continue its advocacy efforts in support our heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower through this new phase of her life. ....... UPDATE! Chelsea Manning Awarded Sam Adams Integrity Prize for 2014 January 22, 2014. By the Sam Adams Associates for Integrity in Intelligence (SAAII). Chelsea Manning has been awarded this years's Integrity in Intelligence award for "casting much-needed daylight on the true toll and cause of civilian casualties in Iraq; human rights abuses by U.S. and “coalition” forces, mercenaries, and contractors; and the roles that spying and bribery play in international diplomacy." ..... AND Update 1/26/14: From the war on hackers to the war on whistleblowers Jesselyn Radack and Edward Snowden discuss the dangerous continuation of the 1917 Espionage Act, which the U.S. government has used in its prosecutions of Manning, Drake, Kiriakou, and now Snowden. And an EFF attorney compares overprosecution of electronic crimes to the war on drugs. .....
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
B R I C K T E E V E E The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,309 US Military Dead as of Feb 7, 2014 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media at informationclearinghouse
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• actor Kevin Spacey
• Extreme Weather ROUNDTABLE: North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Climate Central chief climatologist Dr. Heidi Cullen, ABC News Senior Meteorologist Ginger Zee, and ABC News Chief Business and Economics Correspondent Rebecca Jarvis.
• NFL "Gay" ROUNDTABLE: author and former Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, Sports Illustrated senior writer Pete Thamel, and Outsports.com co-founder Cyd Zeigler.
• ROUNDTABLE: ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, Fusion’s “AM Tonight” host Alicia Menendez, Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan, and editor and publisher of The Nation and WashingtonPost.com columnist Katrina vanden Heuvel.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Gov. Pat McCrory, R-N.C.
• Marshall Shepherd, the former president of the American Meteorological Society
• Jim DeMint, president of the Heritage Foundation
• NFL "Gay" ROUNDTABLE: University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam’s spokesman Howard Bragman, Cyd Zeigler of OutSports.com, Jarrett Bell, NFL Columnist for USA Today Sports, and Donté Stallworth, an NFL wide receiver and current free agent.
• ROUNDTABLE: Michael Sam’s spokesman Howard Bragman, Cyd Zeigler of OutSports.com, Jarrett Bell, NFL Columnist for USA Today Sports, and Donté Stallworth, an NFL wide receiver and current free agent. Neera Tanden of the Center for American Progress, Bob Woodward and Jennifer Rubin of The Washington Post, David Sanger of The New York Times, and John Harris of Politico.
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Fox 'News'-ification of CBS News and '60 Minutes': 'The Cleantech Crash'
• Coming Up Sunday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. ET/PT
• F-35: Looking at most expensive weapons system ever
• Olympic sheen hides corrupt Russia, says businessman
• Woody to Cate on 1st "Blue Jasmine" takes: Awful
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• 2012 Republican Presidential nominee and head of the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City Mitt Romney
• Bill Nye "The Science Guy"
• Tennessee Republican Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, Vice Chair of the House Energy and Commerce Committee
• ROUNDTABLE: NBC News' Chuck Todd, Republican Strategist and former White House Communications Director Nicolle Wallace, Associated Press Chief White House Correspondent Julie Pace, and Democratic Strategist and former Senior Adviser to President Obama David Axelrod
• NBC's Harry Smith "gay rights debate": former American Figure Skater Brian Boitano and Bravo's Host of "Watch What Happens Live" Andy Cohen.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) Sunday at 9 am ET and Noon ET.
• Senator John McCain (R-AZ)
• businessman Steve Forbes and Austan Goolsbee
• former Chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers
• Politics Roundtable: CNN Political Commentator Kevin Madden, The Root’s Corey Dade, and democratic pollster Margie Omero.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Prayer Meetin' Wednesday! Uber pope/rabbi/imam Bob on the latest from the Religious Wrong and celebrates Darwin Day! Listen NOW HERE - Wednesday, February 12th, 2014 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - February 13, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Fossil fuels booming in the US --- literally --- with more new explosions this week; World's largest solar plant now open; Extreme winter weather again cripples the South; Extreme weather is extremely expensive and becoming more so; PLUS: Yes, climate change is coming for your Winter Olympics ... All that and more in today's Green News Report! IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links at site): Church of England takes on 'giant evil' of climate change; Russian environmentalist jailed; No country will take tanker ablaze and adrift in Pacific; How much to fix climate change, and how much if we don't? Abrupt climate change: the 'expected unexpected'; CA to ban sale of polluting 'microbeads' in cosmetics; FEMA won't reimburse WV for chemical spill costs ... PLUS: Fusion energy breakthrough: US scientists achieve 'turning point' ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - February 11, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: British military deployed to combat extreme rain, flooding in UK; Oops - NC officials backtrack on water safety after massive coal waste spill; Another toxic coal waste spill into WV's drinking water; 2013 breaks record for billion-dollar extreme weather disasters; PLUS: We correct three --- count 'em, three! --- errors... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! FL Guv, SoS Still Suppressing the Vote State University student center denied for use in special election early voting; local Elections Supervisor furious; League of Women Voters calls it 'jaw dropping'...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Snowden on Our 'Privatized' National Security State, in the Interview the Networks Didn't Bother to Show You (Though they found time to 'red-bait' him)...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! GOP's Fake 'Democratic' Websites Merit Prosecution If the FEC is too broken to enforce 'slam dunk' violations of campaign laws by Republicans, state Attorneys General should prosecute fraud charges against such groups...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Massive NC Protest Rally Ignored by 'Liberal Media' More than 80,000 angry voters gathered to say 'enough'! So where were the national MSM to tell us how these angry 'Tea Partiers' signal doom for Democrats this November?.....
• BRADCAST! Brad AND Desi on Abby Martin's 'Breaking the Set' [WATCH]
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• Special Appeal for New Audio Equipment! As you may have noticed, the audio in our podcasts has been a little uneven recently. About 2 weeks ago, a critical amplifier fritzed out, and since then we’ve had intermittent distortion and other problems. My personal tech guru, Raul Velez, is on the way with a new mixer and other gear. Can you help me with this unexpected expense?
• PBC News & Comment 12 Feb 2014 PBC News & Comment: On This, I Agree with Rand Paul In politicized publicity stunt, Sen. Rand Paul announces big lawsuit against Obama and NSA metadata collection, funded by Freedom Works…..
• PBC News & Comment 13 Feb 2014 PBC News & Comment: Proposed Comcast Merger Would Create Media Monster Vertically-integrated media giant Comcast wants to swallow Time-Warner Cable; without net neutrality, Comcast would have monopolist power in many markets…
• PBC Standard Podcast February 4, 2014 Ed Snowden Explains the Trigger for His Whistleblowing, and More No subscription required.
• PBC Standard Podcast February 13, 2014 Monarch Butterfly Population in Sharp Decline, Details from Pollinator Expert Victoria Wojcik
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! February 14, 2014 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern. Best of Ring of Fire Radio!
• Rolling Stone contributor Tim Dickinson will tell us how the United States has become so efficient at exporting global warming.
• Author and Nation magazine contributing writer Ari Berman will give us the details on the Moral Monday movement.
• And we’ll hear a selection of interviews from the recent Families USA Health Action Conference.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! February 15, 2014 Sundays at NOON!
»» David Haynes will tell the story of the man who suffered a heart attack in front of a fire station where they refused to help.
»» Attorney Dave TeSelle will tell us why corporations are not creating jobs that Americans desperately need.
»» Attorney Howard Nations will explain how the TPP will raise consumer drug prices.
»» Michael Lind, co-founder of the New America Foundation, will tell us why the 1% always wins.
»» And Ring of Fire’s Sam Seder will talk about the biggest stories that corporate media missed over the last week.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on December 21, 2013 by Joshua Schwitzerlett - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on January 25, 2014 by Joshua Schwitzerlett
• VIDEO! Pap and Seder: Farm Bill Takes Food From The Needy (VIDEO) Ring of Fire hosts Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder discuss the recent Farm Bill that was passed by Congress, which cuts $8.7 billion from food stamp recipients over ten years.
• VIDEO! RFK, Jr. and Seder: The Republican Exodus Continues (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Sam Seder discuss the latest chapter in the debt ceiling saga, as well as taking an in depth look at how the GOP appears to be eating itself alive.
• VIDEO! RFK, Jr. and Seder: Industry Running Out Of Water To Pollute (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Sam Seder discuss the massive coal ash spill in Eden, North Carolina. The spill was the third largest coal ash spill in U.S. history.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 2/10/14 Kevin Gosztola: The Case of The NATO3 & Bob Kincaid: Who Is Killing West Virginia
• TUESDAY 2/11/14 Dave Zirin: Sochi, Michael Sam, Unions Coming to the NCAA?
• WEDNESDAY 2/12/14 Noam Scheiber: The Case for Socialized Law
• THURSDAY 2/13/14 Melissa Gira Grant: Playing The Whore: The Work of Sex Work
• FRIDAY 2/14/14 Casual Friday: Charlie Pierce & Christopher Rosen
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• Subprime Mortgages are Back…This Time Marketed as “Second Chance Purchase Programs” by Michael Krieger of Liberty Blitzkrieg - With interest rates up sharply from the lows and Blackstone and other private equity firms holding billions of dollars with of properties with no one to sell to, the time is ripe for a little muppet fleecing. Leading the charge to find new tax-payer backed subprime loans to take some properties off the hands of Mr. Schwarzman is none other than Wells Fargo. I previously forecasted this in my piece: Stage Two of the Housing Bubble Begins: Blackstone to Lend to Others for “Buy to Rent.” This Central Bankster game isn’t complicated. Provide access to cheap funds to financial cronies, pump the bubble, fleece the serfs. Rinse. Repeat.
Read the rest here.
• David “Money is No Object” Cameron destroys austerity argument by Stacy Herbert - Cameron’s declaration that “money is no object” has destroyed his austerity message: By insisting that he will spend “whatever money is needed” on flood relief, Cameron has undermined his claim that austerity means we must tolerate rising homelessness and poverty. ..... (newstatesman.com)
• Our Berliner friends at Chaos Computer Club have a new idea by maxkeiser - READ German Hackers Are Building a DIY Space Program to Put Their Own Uncensored Internet into Space (popsci.com)
• Usurious Returns on Phantom Money: The Credit Card Gravy Trainby Ellen Brown - The credit card business is now the banking industry’s biggest cash cow, and it’s largely due to lucrative hidden fees. ........
• KEISER REPORT [KR556] Keiser Report: Print or Taper? We discuss the print, taper, print, taper talk that has led to the economic and financial chaos that finds the Financial Times opining that one should do like the Bundesbank did and demand physical delivery of your gold before your wealth becomes pixellated. In the second half, Max interviews John Mauldin, author of CODE RED: How to Protect Your Savings From the Coming Crisis, about money printing, inflation/deflation, gold prices and wages.
• KEISER REPORT [KR561] Keiser Report: Farce of Scottish Independence We discuss the ‘debate’ on Scottish Independence looking a lot like a farce as, for example, Scotland and England ‘fight’ for the right to keep the Royal Bank of Scotland. We also ask Alex Salmond, why be yet another nation on the chain gang, when you can be the first on the block chain? Be the first new nation to launch itself on the blockchain and ditch the old fraud and crony based model. In the second half, Max interviews columnist, author and goldbug, Dominic Frisby, about how Scotland could become the richest nation on Earth, rather than the most mangled bureaucracy in Europe. And also about Dominic’s new book he’s crowdfunding.
• KEISER REPORT [KR562] Keiser Report: Banksters’ Münchausen Syndrome by Proxy We discuss the thousands of think tanks convincing populations to think of the King Joffrey Defense as a legitimate one when an elite murders innocent bystanders or financial markets. We also discuss the housing that is killing productivity in Australia and the UK, but policymakers in both countries are in love with their housing market captors. In the second half, Max and Simon Rose of Save Our Savers diagnose the UK economy with Münchausen Syndrome by Proxy, the Stockholm Syndrome & being trapped in the Matrix.
• KEISER REPORT [KR563] Keiser Report: We’ve Been Snookered! We ask how many snooker balls would take for David Cameron to throw into the storms in order to stop the flooding in the UK. To answer the question, Max asks World Snooker Champion, Ronnie O’Sullivan – who answers that it will take BILLIONS! We also discuss both Cameron’s promise for unlimited funds to help the drowning Tory heartland and and how much more income it would require to keep pace with house price inflation in the UK. In the second half, Max interviews Nafeez Ahmed, author and journalist for the Guardian, about the triple crunch of energy, environment and economic crises.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1304] The Truth About Markets – 01 February 2014 Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday from 3-5 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up (8:30 am pt), and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream.......
• Scott Horton Radio Show 01/31/14 Kevin Zeese: Attorney and political activist Kevin Zeese discusses his article “Is Syrian ‘Peace” Conference Laying the Foundation for War;” the exclusion of Iran and various (non US-supported) opposition groups from the talks; John Kerry’s lies and warmongering; the secret law that allows the government to arm “moderate” Syrian rebels; and CNN’s single-sourced report on torture by the Syrian government.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/11/14 Marjorie Cohn: Marjorie Cohn, a Professor of Law at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, discusses the government’s consideration of assassinating yet another alleged Al Qaeda member-US citizen abroad; the Executive Branch’s blatant disregard for judicial oversight or Constitutionally-protected due process; Obama’s overstated claims about AUMF authorization; and the Scahill/Greenwald expose on the NSA’s role in drone strikes.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/12/14 Philip Giraldi: Philip Giraldi, Executive Director of the Council for the National Interest, discusses his article on the rampant religious zealotry in the US military; why evangelical Christians can’t relate to the messages of peace and forgiveness in the New Testament; and the many Al Qaeda lookalike groups running around Syria.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/12/14 Joshua Eaton: Independent journalist Joshua Eaton discusses his helpful timeline of Edward Snowden’s revelations; why the NSA’s metadata collection is more dangerous than recording the contents of every phone call; and how the government conducts economic espionage on behalf of politically connected corporations.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/13/14 Andy Worthington: Andy Worthington, author of The Guantanamo Files, discusses America’s post-9/11 turn toward the “dark side” of torture and indefinite detention without trial; the long-overdue 6000 page report on CIA torture; and the Yemenis who remain imprisoned at Guantanamo simply for their nationality.
• Visit his blog Stress. See ScottHorton.org for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• former Ohio Governor and leading Christie critic, Ted Strickland
• former White House Senior Advisor and GOP mastermind Karl Rove
• Sen Mike Lee (R-UT), a member of the Judiciary Committee
• Rep Xavier Becerra (D-CA), Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml