- Dan Roberts in Washington, The Guardian Obama signs ban on public funding of presidential campaigns into law
- Zoë Carpenter, The Nation Will Phony Populists Hijack the Fight Against Inequality? Listen to The Majority Report 4/8 Zoë Carpenter: Will Phony Populists Hijack the Fight Against Inequality?
- Igor Volsky, ThinkProgress Koch Brothers Received Millions In Obamacare Subsidies
- Paul Krugman, NYT Paullie Ryan's The Hammock Fallacy
- Joe Deshotel, Burnt Orange Report Greg Abbott Ducks Press While Adviser Charles Murray Doubles Down on Anti-Woman Rhetoric where American Enterprise Institue's Charles Murray "argues" that one or “maybe” two women had played significant roles in the field of philosophy because “mens brains are larger than women’s”! Really! More info at dkos TX-Gov: Abbott (R) Advisor Charles Murray, "No evidence that women are significant thinkers"
- Max Stendahl, LAW360.com Feds Demand $2B Penalty In BofA Mortgage Fraud Case
- PAIGE WINFIELD CUNNINGHAM, Politico Sebelius steps down — OMB Director Sylvia Mathews Burwell to replace her — Republicans say it’s about time
- DSWright, FireDogLake.com SEC Was Colluding With Banks On CDO Prosecutions AND Felix Salmon, Reuters Yes, the SEC was colluding with banks on CDO prosecutions
- Ali Watkins, Jonathan S. Landay and Marisa Taylor for McClatchy CIA’s use of harsh interrogation went beyond legal authority, Senate report says
- "I don't understand why anyone should have their free speech limited to help somebody else feel like they can speak more. The Constitution does not envision the idea of, as the court said, 'weakening the rights of some and the speech of some in order to enhance or promote the speech of others.'"
- Some Devices May Never Recover From The Heartbleed Bug, Report Says
- How The Heartbleed Bug Slipped Under The Radar More Than Two Years Ago
- How A Group Of Engineers Uncovered The Biggest Bug The Internet Has Seen In Years
- • Secret files show scale of Silicon Valley co-operation on Prism
- • Outlook.com encryption unlocked even before official launch
- • Skype worked to enable Prism collection of video calls
- • Company says it is legally compelled to comply
- JebusGawd. Jews in eastern Ukraine told to register with pro-Russian forces, or else 4/17/2014 2:42pm by John Aravosis, America Blog
(Yeah wasn't Aravosis a Clarkie? He's on The Obomber Dark Side without a doubt AND NOW a firm part of the neolib echo chamber and carrying their hateful "other" water -Ed.)
- US/NATO co-opt former USSR satellite (SHOCK DOCTRINE)
- Russia-Ukraine-EU agree to sharing economic agreement then only six hours later . . . . .
- VIOLENT COUP begins and ends with Victoria Nuland's hand-picked neonazi thug (on BTV)
- Western media IGNORE these facts (deliberately I surmise)
- "Putin is aggressor" begins in US media as Crimea is "conquered" but no historical basis, strategic or otherwise, is explained. Peeps know only "horse-riding macho bully Putin" image
- US/NATO escalates aggression by sending fleets to the area. Peeps say, "Hell Yeah!"
- US MEDIA COMPLETELY IGNORE THE FACT THAT THE US IS THE PROVOCATEUR for the destabilization of Ukraine.
- COHEN: Almost alone among American media, you actually allowed Putin to speak for himself. He’s being filtered through the interpretation of the mass media here, allegedly, what he said, and it’s not representative. The second thing is, let us look just what’s happening at this moment, or at least yesterday.
- STEPHEN COHEN: You left out one thing that he said which I consider to be unwise and possibly reckless. He went on to say that Russia wouldn’t go to war with us because our conventional weapons are superior. That is an exceedingly provocative thing to say. And he seems to be unaware, President Obama, that Russian military doctrine says that when confronted by overwhelming conventional forces, we can use nuclear weapons. They mean tactical nuclear weapons. I don’t think any informed president, his handlers, would have permitted him to make such a statement. In fact, depending on how far you want to take this conversation about the Obama administration, I don’t recall in my lifetime, in confrontations with Russia, an administration—I speak now of the president and his secretary of state—who seem in their public statements to be so misinformed, even uninformed, both about Ukraine and Russia. COHEN: And I think it’s important to emphasize, though I regret saying this, Russia will not back off. This is existential. Too much has happened. Putin—and it’s not just Putin. We seem to think Putin runs the whole of the universe. He has a political class. That political class has opinions. Public support is running overwhelmingly in favor of Russian policy. Putin will compromise at these negotiations, but he will not back off if confronted militarily. He will not.
- .......Because the neo-Nazis share Putin’s agenda of attacking minorities, including gays, blacks and jews, the Kremlin is fine with letting them continue their criminal enterprise, mostly on the social media site VKontakte (VK.com), controlled by Putin ally Alister Usmanov. Usmanov’s other properties benefit from investments from the NYC and New York State pension funds, and the pension fund of the state of California, CalPERS. NY state and NYC, in addition to the state of California, apparently have no problem investing in Putin-allied Russian oligarchs who run ventures used by neo-Nazis to plan the abductions of 13 year old gay children.
- MG1 • an hour ago The International Business Times actually translated the Novosti Donbassa story. This has all the earmarks of a false flag op by Brennan/Nuland, Inc. trying to make sure the rubes at home (like yourself, John) are fired up enough to back military intervention in Russia. Nothing like accusations of anti-semitism (which is, of course, rampant in the Svoboda and Right Secktor parties who the US used to execute it's coup in Kiev) to get the chronically lied to American people behind a yet another war. The propaganda and misinformation coming out of MSM is breathtaking. It is worse than the run up to the Iraq war
- News that General Wesley Clark, USA (Ret.) visited the Ukraine at the behest of the National Security Advisor there — and also a senior member of Ukraine’s parliament — should be a cause for alarm. A nonprofit foundation was involved in this exercise. There is a sense of open, almost joyful viciousness in all this pro-war, anti-Russian sentiments on opinion pages and television broadcasts. It is certainly racist and demeaning in tone. Such is the first step in convincing the public that the “transgressor” is equivalent to a retrovirus.
Interim Report #1: Immediate Improvements Needed in Rapidly Implementing Non-Lethal US Military Assistance for Defense of Ukraine is available at Cryptome (and the New York Times) for viewing.
General Clark and a former strategy advisor to Secretary of Defense Casper Weinberger named Dr. Phillip Karber, indicates that the two “participated in 35 meetings with senior officials, military commanders and various politicians; with Karber visiting front line formations on the Northern, Eastern and Southern Fronts.” The two aging Cold War Warriors recommend immediate shipments of American Body Armor, Night Vision Devices, Communications Equipment, Aviation Fuel and “to maximize their defense potential” Clark and Karber recommend the acquisition of Mig-29’s, T-72 tanks, Man-Portable Air Defenses, and Anti-Tank weapons.
Partial expenses for the Clark and Karber expedition were paid for by the Potomac Foundation, a nonprofit foundation in Vienna, Virginia. According to three of its Form 990’s, over the years it has received grants from the Smith Richardson Foundation, Soros/Open Society Fund, and Boeing. According to an official at the Potomac Foundation, some support is provided to Georgetown University, in particular, to Karber (the Chinese Tunnel guy). The official stated that the group does not have a website
The Potomac Foundations also runs China Vitae as a charitable activity. According to China Vitae’s website it “was founded in 2001 with two objectives: to raise the quality and quantity of English language, biographical information on China’s top leadership; and to create a centralized repository of such information available to a worldwide audience.” China Vitae is run by husband and wife team David and Susan Gries. David Gries is on the board of the Washington Institute for Foreign Affairs and has affiliations to the CIA and Georgetown University. Members listed on the China Vitae website have an assortment of affiliations to universities, corporations and the US government.
Foreign Internal Defense Operations (FIDO): Standard Playbook
Given that US President Obama has blessed the new Kiev government with legitimacy, America now seeks to stabilize the country with infusions of cash, arms and advisors. And that means that FIDO is likely underway there. Former special operations soldiers—now defense contractors—are on the ground in Ukraine, and so are active duty special operators/advisors perhaps out of US Special Operations Command. They are training/tutoring Ukrainian security personnel.
The execution of US national security/military strategy, operations, tactics are very predictable and based on using the impressive US Instruments of National Power to shape the target environment in America’s favor. There are many simultaneous operations underway both covert and quite overt. In particular, military information support operations (MISO) begin with manipulating the public consciousness through cyber and meat-space means. That effort is clearly seen in the hyper-hypocritical statements on Russia’s annexation of Crimea made by all top national security officials and members of the US Congress. The official words-of-war are gleefully reproduced by the mainstream media and assorted NGOs for a public seemingly unaware or uncaring of such serious international matters. There is little opposition to the anti-Russian, pro-war madness.
Then again American infrastructure is crumbling from sea-to-shining sea and so there is a solid rational that can be made for not caring about foreign affairs.
But Americans have seen this movie over and over again since the end of World War II. The script is the same, the bullshit propaganda/myth making is the same, the goals and objectives are the same, and the demonization of the adversary is the same. It is just so formulaic: the USA instigates and creatively destroys; Russia (or any opponent) attempts to counterpunch; China waits for the USA/Russia to commit suicide; and the rest of the world cowers, as they should, selecting to side with whatever one of the three giants can give them the best financial deal or “muscle.”
At any rate, according to Joint Publication 3-22, Foreign Internal Defense, 12 July 2010:
- … joint operations, involving the application of all instruments of national power, support host nation efforts to build capability and capacity to free and protect its society from subversion, lawlessness, and insurgency… An internal defense and development program (IDAD) program blends four interdependent functions to prevent or counter internal threats. Balanced development attempts to achieve national goals through political, social, and economic programs, allowing all individuals and groups in the society to share in the rewards of development, thus alleviating frustration. The security function includes all activities implemented in order to protect the populace from violence and to provide a safe environment for national development. The security effort should establish an environment in which the HN can provide for its own security with limited US support. Neutralization, a political concept, physically and psychologically separates an insurgent or criminal element from the population, thereby making threatening elements irrelevant to the political process. It includes all lawful measures (except those that degrade the government’s legitimacy) to discredit, disrupt, preempt, disorganize, and defeat the insurgent organization. Mobilization provides organized manpower and materiel resources and includes all activities to motivate and organize popular support of the government. Mobilization allows the government to strengthen existing institutions, to develop new ones to respond to demands, and promotes the government’s legitimacy …