Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
XMAS in July! YES! XMAS on JULY 25th is a National Holiday! NAH! But it sure is a fun time every year at the Brick TeeVee Compound! Down at Whiskey Island they're celebrating XMAS in JULY with the Burning River Fest 2014! Three stages of music and Great Lake's Christmas Ale! FUN! HOHOHO!
At the ThinkProgress.org Justice blog Ian Millhiser tells us Two Hours After A Court Strikes Down Obamacare Subsidies, Another Appeals Court Upholds Them A little after 10am Tuesday morning, two Republican judges on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ordered much of the Affordable Care Act defunded. Just two hours later, another federal appeals court, the Fourth Circuit, issued a unanimous opinion upholding the same subsidies that were struck down in the DC Circuit’s order. As we explained this morning, both cases hinge upon a glorified typo in the Affordable Care Act. Obamacare gives states the option to run a health insurance exchange selling coverage to their residents, or they may elect to have the federal government run this exchange. If read in isolation, one line of the Affordable Care Act suggests that only “an Exchange established by the State” can offer subsidies to help people pay for health insurance in the exchange. The DC Circuit’s opinion relied on that line to conclude that federally-run exchange subsidies must be defunded.
Yet, as the Supreme Court has made clear — and as the Fourth Circuit reiterates in its opinion — a federal law should not be interpreted by reading a single line out of context. Rather, “a reviewing court should not confine itself to examining a particular statutory provision in isolation” as the “meaning—or ambiguity—of certain words or phrases may only become evident when placed in context.” A full explanation of why the DC Circuit misread the law and ignored other key provisions of the Affordable Care Act can be read here.
Unlike the DC Circuit’s opinion, the Fourth Circuit is a model of judicial restraint and humility. Although all three judges on the Fourth Circuit panel were nominated by Democratic presidents (Judge Roger Gregory, who authored the opinion, has the unusual distinction of being nominated by both President Clinton and the second President Bush), the majority opinion does not claim, as the DC Circuit did, that this case is a slam-dunk for their political party’s preferred outcome. Indeed, it claims that different provisions of the law seem to conflict with one another, and that the meaning of the statute is ambiguous. Though Judge Gregory’s opinion concludes that the Obama Administration “make[s] the better of the two cases” regarding how the law should be read, he also writes that “we are not convinced that either of the purported statutory conflicts render Congress’s intent clear.” Under the longstanding Chevron Doctrine, however, it is not the job of judges who are confronted with an ambiguous statute to read their preferred outcome into the law. Rather, the Supreme Court has ordered federal judges to defer to an agency’s reading of a law — in this case, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) — so long as “the agency’s answer is based on a permissible construction of the statute.” “We ‘will not usurp an agency’s interpretive authority by supplanting its construction with our own,” Gregory writes, “so long as the interpretation is not ‘arbitrary, capricious, or manifestly contrary to the statute.’” ........... In the end, the battle between the Fourth Circuit and the DC Circuit is a battle over who gets to make law. Normally, that power rests with Congress, but when a law is ambiguous, the Supreme Court has long recognized that courts should defer to the Executive Branch. This rule achieves two ends. It ensures that agencies with expertise on a particular area of law get to interpret that law, rather than leaving matters to inexpert judges. And it also ensures that the people who make important policy decisions are ultimately accountable to the American people. If the electorate does not approve of the Obama Administration’s reading of this law, then the Fourth Circuit’s opinion permits them to vote for a different president who will read the law in a different way. The DC Circuit, however, would steal this decision away from the American people, and place it in the hands of a few unelected officials in black robes.
RELATED: Scott Lemieux from the Lawyers Guns and Money Blog (see Majority Report from Wednesday below) explains how
They Criticize What They Can’t Understand To the extent that there’s an argument against reading the ACA to include subsidies on the federal exchanges, it has to be that while Congress intended the subsidies to be available on both, reading the literal language of an isolated provision it says that the subsidies are only available on state exchanges, so tough luck. This is, to be clear, a terrible argument, but it’s the best one available. To my amazement, as I first saw on Twitter yesterday, some conservatives are arguing that Congress actually intended for the federal exchanges not to include subsidies. .................. This argument is…amazing. It may be true that many members of Congress were too optimistic about states creating their own exchanges. But we also know that Congress anticipated that some states would not create their own exchanges…because the statute gave the federal government the power to create exchanges when states wouldn’t. Ponnuru’s reading of the statute can’t explain why they bothered to do this at all. The actually existing Congress assumed that some states would not participate but wanted the exchanges available in all 50 states. So Ponnuru’s explanation is plainly wrong, and we’re left with an implicit assumption that Congress established the power to have the federal government to create exchanges but wanted them not to work, which is absurd. ......... But there’s a more fundamental problem with the arguments made by the majority of the D.C. Circuit panel and the Republicans cheering them on. The ACA was not written by Republicans — it was written by public officials who wanted to substantially increase access to medical care. The central function of the subsidies wasn’t to create incentives for state governments; it was to ensure that the non-affluent uninsured who didn’t qualify for Medicaid could purchase insurance on the exchanges. To not provide subsidies on the federal exchanges would defeat the very purpose for which they were constructed. If you understand the ACA from the standpoint of those who passed it, this couldn’t be more obvious. Conservatives trying to evaluate the goals of the ACA are like elephants trying to play a toy piano. And, needless to say, this is why as a first approximation zero supporters of the ACA either inside or outside Congress are persuaded by this latest ad hoc attack on the law. In addition to the other ways in which it’s silly it’s premised on not comprehending what the ACA was trying to accomplish. Daily Kos blogger Fuzzytek discovers Military device used on Detroit protest against #WaterShutoffs......Military Weapon Deployment - A LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) was used to disperse a rally at Hart Plaza in downtown Detroit on Friday, July 18, 2014 at 2:43pm. There has been previous use of an LRAD in Detroit on May 1, 2012 when Occupy Detroit gathered on the public sidewalk outside Grand Circus Park after park closing hours of 10pm. The use in 2012 was as a public address. The use in 2014 was to cause distress to those hearing the sound. You can hear the sound emitted in the video footage at 50 minutes into this clip (the final minute of the clip). Those who were on the platform to speak felt vibration throughout their body and some clutched at their chest during the deployment which last about 2 minutes........ Do you remember when Pittsburgh was LOCKED DOWN for the G20 Summit there in 2009? We referenced these in October 2011 Bystander Sues Pittsburgh Over Sonic Device At G-20 AND Pittsburgh Police Deny G-20 'Sound Cannon' Allegations PLUS Maker Of Sound Device Disputes ACLU's Pittsburgh Lawsuit. Reporting for the Pittsburgh Tribune Brian Bowling tells us three years later on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012 Pittsburgh to pay researcher who suffered hearing loss during G-20 summit Pittsburgh leaders agreed to pay $72,000 to a professor who experienced permanent hearing loss during the September 2009 Group of 20 economic summit, when police used a highly focused loudspeaker on a neighborhood street, said Vic Walczak, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania. The city also agreed to draft a policy on when and how police will deploy the Long Range Acoustic Device to avoid injuring others, he said on Wednesday. “Our contention all along was that this device should not be used as a weapon against protesters,” he said. “It was developed for wartime.” The settlement leaves the city with one pending lawsuit from the summit, a claim by 13 protesters that police violated their civil rights during arrests. The city and its insurer have paid $560,500 to settle G-20-related lawsuits. City solicitor Dan Regan said the city bought a $10 million police and professional liability insurance policy in advance of the summit, and that policy covered each settlement minus a $25,000 deductible. The city paid a $1.5 million premium for the policy. Although the settlements so far have cost less than the policy premium and deductible, Regan said the city made the right choice. “Settling these claims is also a business decision on the part of the city and its insurer,” he said. The city does not admit wrongdoing in any of the cases, even though it agreed to draft a policy for the LRAD, he said. Karen Piper, an English professor at the University of Missouri, was researching whether protesters have any effect on the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. She says in the lawsuit that she was about 100 feet away from an LRAD when police used it to disperse protesters. “I am grateful that my case will serve as a deterrent to future users of the LRAD,” Piper said. “The LRAD should have no place on our American streets.” ....... Dear Dr. Piper: Looks like the Detroit PD didn't get your memo. Wonder if Detroit's Illegal 'Emergency Manager' Kevyn Orr had the forethought to buy a "police and professional liability insurance policy". Look for more LRAD lawsuits coming out of water-starved Detroit soon. Here's some good news! As we roll into the hottest part of Summer Canadians to bring water to Detroit after taps shut off for thousands reports Erika Tucker at GlobalNews.ca TORONTO – Is shutting off water for tens of thousands of Detroit residents behind on their bills a violation of human rights? That’s the argument a Canadian non-profit is making. The Council of Canadians plans to bring 1,000 litres of water across the Canada-U.S. border to those living in the U.S. with no running water, as part of a symbolic rally July 24. “The human suffering is that of a major disaster, one that grows every day,” said national chairperson of the Council of Canadians Maude Barlow in a release, who’s calling for U.S. President Barack Obama to declare a state of emergency. “Water is a human right, and it is unacceptable in a country of plenty, surrounded by the Great Lakes, the largest source of fresh water in the world, that people should go without.” And the AP (via Atlanta Constitution Journal) report Eau Canada: Caravan totes water to Detroit A caravan of Canadians bringing jugs with 1,000 liters of water arrived in Detroit on Thursday afternoon in a symbolic protest against the bankrupt city shutting off water to residents who haven't paid their bills. Eleven vehicles passed through the Detroit Windsor Tunnel under the Detroit River. The Canadians rallied outside City Hall before heading for St. Peter's Episcopal Church to deliver the water. The water will be stored behind the church's sanctuary for people needing water after city shutoffs, said the Rev. Bill Wylie-Kellerman. Once the Canadian water is all distributed, "we'll be filling gallon jugs from our tap," he said. Wylie-Kellerman said his church will be a water station and said there will be several more like it in the city. FOLLOW THE MONEY: BTV correspondent msgeaux finds this essay by Dr. Nafeez Ahmed, an international security journalist and academic, at TheEcologist.org Gaza: Israel's $4 billion gas grab Never mind the 'war on terror' rhetoric, writes Nafeez Ahmed. The purpose of Israel's escalating assault on Gaza is to control the Territory's 1.4 trillion cubic feet of gas - and so keep Palestine poor and weak, gain massive export revenues, and avert its own domestic energy crisis. Israel's defence minister is on record confirming that military plans to uproot Hamas' are about securing control of Gaza's gas reserves. ...... Last Tuesday, Israeli defence minister and former Israeli Defence Force (IDF) chief of staff Moshe Ya'alon announced that Operation Protective Edge marks the beginning of a protracted assault on Hamas. The operation "won't end in just a few days", he said, adding that "we are preparing to expand the operation by all means standing at our disposal so as to continue striking Hamas." The price will be very heavy ... yes, $4 billion! But in 2007, a year before Operation Cast Lead, Ya'alon's concerns focused on the 1.4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas discovered in 2000 off the Gaza coast, valued at $4 billion. Ya'alon dismissed the notion that "Gaza gas can be a key driver of an economically more viable Palestinian state" as "misguided". The problem, he said is that "Proceeds of a Palestinian gas sale to Israel would likely not trickle down to help an impoverished Palestinian public. Rather, based on Israel's past experience, the proceeds will likely serve to fund further terror attacks against Israel ... "A gas transaction with the Palestinian Authority will, by definition, involve Hamas. Hamas will either benefit from the royalties or it will sabotage the project and launch attacks against Fatah, the gas installations, Israel - or all three ... "It is clear that without an overall military operation to uproot Hamas control of Gaza, no drilling work can take place without the consent of the radical Islamic movement." ........... Since the discovery of oil and gas in the Occupied Territories, resource competition has increasingly been at the heart of the conflict, motivated largely by Israel's increasing domestic energy woes. Mark Turner, founder of the Research Journalism Initiative, reported that the siege of Gaza and ensuing military pressure was designed to "eliminate" Hamas as "a viable political entity in Gaza" to generate a "political climate" conducive to a gas deal. This involved rehabilitating the defeated Fatah as the dominant political player in the West Bank, and "leveraging political tensions between the two parties, arming forces loyal to Abbas and the selective resumption of financial aid." Ya'alon's comments in 2007 illustrate that the Israeli cabinet is not just concerned about Hamas - but concerned that if Palestinians develop their own gas resources, the resulting economic transformation could in turn fundamentally increase Palestinian clout. ............. As Dr Gary Luft - an advisor to US Energy Security Council - wrote in the Journal of Energy Security, "with the depletion of Israel's domestic gas supplies accelerating, and without an imminent rise in Egyptian gas imports, Israel could face a power crisis in the next few years ..."If Israel is to continue to pursue its natural gas plans it must diversify its supply sources." Israel's new discoveries do not, as yet, offer an immediate solution as electricity prices reach record levels, heightening the imperative to diversify supply. This appears to be behind Prime Minister Netanyahu's announcement in February 2011 that it was now time to seal the Gaza gas deal. But even after a new round of negotiations was kick-started between the Fatah-led Palestinian Authority and Israel in September 2012, Hamas was excluded from these talks, and thus rejected the legitimacy of any deal. ........... For the Israeli government, Hamas continues to be the main obstacle to the finalisation of the gas deal. In the incumbent defence minister's words: "Israel's experience during the Oslo years indicates Palestinian gas profits would likely end up funding terrorism against Israel. The threat is not limited to Hamas ... It is impossible to prevent at least some of the gas proceeds from reaching Palestinian terror groups." The only option, therefore, is yet another "military operation to uproot Hamas". Unfortunately, for the IDF uprooting Hamas means destroying the group's perceived civilian support base - which is why Palestinian civilian casualties massively outweigh those of Israelis. Both are obviously reprehensible, but Israel's capacity to inflict destruction is simply far greater............ And BTV correspondent ljm snags this from Wednesday July 23rd Breaking news From the BBC Hamas leader ties truce to blockade Hamas says Gaza blockade must end before ceasefire Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal says there can be no truce in Gaza without an end to the Israeli blockade - More to follow. You are all right in that this war looks very much like the Syrian War. War Crimes happened in Syria and still do on both sides. The international bodies have and will say the same here. It's essentially a civil war, although Gaza is outside of Israel. How the Palestinians created their government for Gaza is as FUBAR as Maliki's government in Iraq. Israel has a different problem in that the government functions and has a first class military. The government is controlled by right-wing extremists. They should be the ones to pay for the war crimes. They need to be ejected from power. There have to be "cooler heads" in Israel to run that country. It's not Iraq.
Here's more from TheGuardian.com
- Israeli air strikes and gun battles with Hamas shatter Gaza frontline village
- Gaza crisis: Israelis and Palestinians observe 12-hour ceasefire
- Gaza ceasefire takes hold - in pictures
- A pause in the bombing by Israeli forces – and the ruins of Gaza are laid bare
- Gaza: attack on UN school 'appalling', says humanitarian chief
- Gaza violence sparks global protests - in pictures
- The Guardian view on the causes of the fighting in Gaza
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous Sharif Abdel Kouddous on Israel’s Gaza Massacres: F-16 Kills 24 Relatives After 72 Die in Shejaiya
- Dr. Mads Gilbert, Norwegian doctor providing medical assistance in Gaza Breaking: In Latest Attack on Gaza Medical Site, IDF Shells al-Aqsa Hospital; 5 Dead, Dozens Hurt
- Raji Sourani, director of the Palestinian Center for Human Rights in Gaza Palestinian Human Rights Lawyer Raji Sourani Likens Netanyahu to Bin Laden for Killing Civilians
- Rann Bar-On, Israeli peace activist & Max Blumenthal, senior writer for AlterNet.org Israeli Peace Demo Violently Disrupted, Dozens Injured as Counter-Protesters Yell "Death to Arabs"
- More Max Blumentha Max Blumenthal: With "Hollow Diplomacy," U.S. Created Political Space for Israeli Assault on Gaza
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous in Gaza "A Place of Indescribable Loss": As Ceasefire Talks Begin, Israel Bombs Hospital, Mosques and Homes
- Gideon Levy What Does Hamas Really Want? Israeli Journalist Gideon Levy on Ending the Crippling Blockade of Gaza
- Nathan Thrall, senior analyst at the International Crisis Group How the West Chose War in Gaza: Crisis Tied to Israeli-U.S. Effort to Isolate Hamas & Keep the Siege
- more Gideon Levy Israeli Writer Gideon Levy: If Netanyahu Wants to Stop the Rockets, He Needs to Accept a Just Peace
- Christopher Gunness, spokesperson for the the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) "Unimaginably Catastrophic": As Gaza’s Displaced Top 100,000, Israel Reportedly Shells U.N. School
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent reporting from Gaza "Growing Humanitarian Crisis": Palestinian Toll Tops 650 as Israel Attacks Gaza’s Sole Power Plant
- Members of Jewish Voice for Peace and Jews Say No! Not In Our Name: Jewish Activists Arrested in Sit-in at Friends of Israel Defense Forces NYC Office
- Rula Jebreal, Palestinian author and political analyst who frequently appears on MSNBC MSNBC’s Sole Palestinian Voice Rula Jebreal Takes on Pro-Israeli Gov’t Bias at Network & in US Media
- Gaza Debate A Debate on Gaza: Ali Abunimah of Electronic Intifada vs. J.J. Goldberg of The Jewish Daily Forward
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent Sharif Abdel Kouddous: Bombed in Their Homes and in the Streets, Where Can Gazans Flee?
- Yael Even Or, Israeli journalist and activist & Yonatan Shapira, former Israeli captain and Air Force pilot Decrying "Brutal Operation Taking Place in Our Name," Israeli Military Reservists Refuse to Serve
- The Nation's Katrina vanden Heuvel Katrina vanden Heuvel: With 100,000+ Displaced, Why Is U.S. Ignoring Ukraine’s Civil War?
- Megan McCracken, attorney with the Death Penalty Clinic at the UC Berkeley School of Law Botched 2-Hour Arizona Execution "Shrouded in Secrecy" Fuels Outrage over Lethal Injection Methods
- Sharif Abdel Kouddous Sharif Abdel Kouddous: In Gaza, Unrelenting Israeli Assault Causes "Grave Humanitarian Crisis"
- Christopher Gunness, spokesperson for the the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) "No Safe Place": After Deadly Attack on Gaza School, U.N. Warns 150,000 Seeking Shelter are at Risk
- Amira Hass, Ha’aretz correspondent in the occupied Palestinian territories Turning Point? Largest West Bank Protest in Decades Raises Spectre of a 3rd Intifada
- Belal Dabour, a medical doctor that works at Shifa Hospital in Gaza City Doctor: After "Losing Everything," Gazans Cling to Hope That Conflict Will End Crippling Siege
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW Chris Mackin: Creating Economic Democracy At GRITtv, we frequently discuss the merits of worker-owned cooperatives a lot, but not often the ways in which worker co-ops fall short, or the other options for a democratic workplace. This week's guest, Chris Mackin has been consulting workers, owners and unions on transitioning their businesses into worker-owned structures for thirty years--and they're not always co-ops....... more!
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN It's the Brickyard 400 from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! Coverage begins at 1 pm et »»» MLB on TBS Blue Jays @ Yankees 1 pm et »»» SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Dodgers @ Giants 8 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Blue Jays @ Red Sox 7 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Stop the FCC from Breaking the Internet The Federal Communications Commission is proposing rules that would kill — rather than protect — Net Neutrality and allow rampant discrimination online. Under these rules, telecom giants like AT&T, Comcast and Verizon would be able to pick winners and losers online and discriminate against online content and applications. And no one would be able to do anything about it. We must stop the FCC from moving forward with these rules, which would give the green light to ISPs eager to crush Net Neutrality. The agency can preserve Net Neutrality only by designating broadband as a telecommunications service under the law. Anything else is an attack on our rights to connect and communicate. Tell FCC Chairman Wheeler to throw out his proposed rules. Demand nothing less than real Net Neutrality. SIGN NOW at Stop the FCC from Breaking the Internet at freepress.net NOW. Join the Day of Action on May 15! The Internet will rise up online and take to the streets. SIGN UP HERE to learn more!
Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice. These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation! NEW!!! NATION ACTION! Stop the Comcast/Time Warner Cable Merger! GO THERE NOW!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! UPDATE! Legalize Democracy Film Premieres on Free Speech TV Jan 21 Move to Amend is thrilled to announce that the premiere of our mini documentary, Legalize Democracy, will be airing on Free Speech TV (FSTV) next week to coincide with the "anniversary" of Citizens United. Legalize Democracy is a 28 minute film by Dennis Trainor, Jr. about the movement to amend -- why it is needed, and how you can get involved. Watch live on our website here. Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the "Chelsea Manning Support Network" March 19, 2014. By CMSN. PVT Manning has filed to change her name legally to "Chelsea Elizabeth Manning" and to receive hormone therapy. To show our support in this struggle, we are renaming ourselves to the "Chelsea Manning Support Network." ..... UPDATE! An Appeal from Daniel Ellsberg I have been waiting forty years for a legal process to at long last prove the unconstitutionality of the Espionage Act as applied to whistle-blowers (the Supreme Court has never yet addressed this issue). This appeals process can accomplish that, and it can reduce Chelsea’s sentence by decades. But unfortunately, without your help today it will not happen....... AND Manning, Snowden give Ellsberg “hope”, Ellsberg says at hacker conference JJuly 22, 2014. "So then Manning came out with [her] hundreds of thousands of cables, and then [Snowden] with documents… it took those documents which took the risk… I saw it right away… without having met [Snowden], without having met Manning- this was someone I identified with and at the same time heroes.”......
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
Meet ABC News' Newest Contributor, Laura Ingraham 10 Moments That Illustrate The Right-Wing Radio Host's Fringe Viewpoints And Disdain For Civil Discourse - Ingraham has repeatedly engaged in inflammatory and hateful rhetoric, lobbing numerous attacks against everyone from President Obama to people who receive government assistance to her favorite target, immigrants. Here are 10 hateful moments from Ingraham in the past year...
• Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas
• Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas
• ROUNDTABLE: ABC News contributor and Democratic strategist Donna Brazile, Rep. Tom Cole, R-Oklahoma, CNN “Crossfire” co-host S.E. Cupp, and UC Berkley professor and former Clinton Labor secretary Robert Reich.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers R-Michigan
• former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright
• Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin
• ROUNDTABLE: CBS News Elections Director Anthony Salvanto, David Leonhardt of The New York Times, Amy Walter of the Cook Political Report, and CBS News Political Director John Dickerson.
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Fox 'News'-ification of CBS News and '60 Minutes': 'The Cleantech Crash'
• CBS' '60 Minutes' admits to faking Tesla car noise
• Coming Up Sunday, July 27 at 7 p.m. ET/PT
• Help Wanted
• Nile Crocodile
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture 07/15/12 — NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
• Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI)
New York Senator Charles Schumer (D)
Texas Senator Ted Cruz's (R)
• ROUNDTABLE: Judy Woodruff, Co-Anchor and Managing Editor, PBS NewsHour; David Brooks, Columnist, New York Times; Nia-Malika Henderson, Reporter, Washington Post; Ruth Marcus, Columnist, Washington Post
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) Sunday at 9 am ET and Noon ET.
• Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
• Palestinian Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh
• Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin
• Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes
• House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA)
• Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
• ROUNDTABLE: tba
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• PRAYER MEETIN' WEDNESDAY!! Listen here NOW! Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - July 24, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Breaking: Sudden storm ravages campground in VA; New rules for explosive oil trains; Big win in small Maine town over Big (tar sands) Oil; Sunday news shows discover global warming exists; PLUS: We're No.1! America and Rush Limbaugh lead the world...in global warming denial ... All that and more in today's Green News Report! IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links at site): Attack of the Chicago climate change maggots; Solar car sets new land speed record; Republicans always listen to the Pentagon --- except on climate change; Self-cooling solar cells generate more output; Oil industry damaged PA water sources 200+ times; Amid CA drought, Nestle guzzles private water; Forest managers ban exploding shooting targets over fire fears ... PLUS: National Hockey League warns global warming threatens hockey's future ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - July 22, 2014 Record wildfires burn a million acres in the Pacific Northwest; It's official: June 2014 was the hottest June globally on record; EPA moves to block massive Pebble Mine; California moves to block oil industry polluting groundwater; PLUS: Wanna cut your emissions? Then cut the beef... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADCAST! The Good Fight Continues: KPFK 'BradCast' Brad speaks with John Wellington Ennis, documentarian and activist, on his newest film and his decade-long fight for election integrity...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! No, JFK Didn't Steal 1960 From Nixon Another Zombie Myth that just won't die gets knocked down again...for now...even as its persistence continues to fuel false Republican claims of 'voter fraud' even today...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! 'I Never Realized Voter ID Fraud Had Not Been Proven' A RW caller's admission to Brad on NC radio underscores unparalleled propaganda power of Fox 'News'...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Aborted Statewide 'Recount' Reveals It's a Great Time to Steal an Election in California In the closest election in state history, even a well-funded candidate couldn't afford to find out if he actually lost...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Israeli Attack on UN Shelter Kills At Least 15 in Gaza The strategy of bombing children, but warning them first, will almost certainly result in years of peace and prosperity for the region...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment 21 Jul 2014 PBC News & Comment: Israeli Casualties Mount as Hamas Fights Back Cost of Israel’s “defensive” attacks on Gaza rise with 25 soldiers killed, one reportedly captured; more than 500 Palestinians killed….
• PBC News & Comment 23 Jul 2014 PBC News & Comment: US Lacks Leverage, Credibility to Broker Gaza Cease-Fire Secretary Blowhard, aka John Kerry, tries shuttle diplomacy, but has no credibility or leverage with Palestinians, and war rages on…....
• PBC News & Comment 25 Jul 2014 PBC News & Comment: Violence Spreads to West Bank on “Day of Rage” West Bank Palestinians march in support of Gaza for second day, as Israel rejects Kerry’s pro-Israel cease-fire plan…….….
• PBC Standard Podcast July 26, 2014 al Jazeera Documentary “FBI Informants” Details 3 Outrageous Domestic Terrorism Cases Journalist Trevor Aaronson was interviewed here in June, 2013 about his book “Terror Factory”; he now reports for al Jazeera, and returns along with Jeremy Young, senior producer in the investigations unit. They talk about their powerful hour-long report, FBI Informants.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! June 27, 2014 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
• This week on The Best of Ring of Fire Radio: John Nichols from The Nation magazine will be here to tell us how the Republican Party went from the Party of Lincoln, to the party of Ted Cruz.
• Ian Millhiser from Think Progress will tell us about this week’s court decision that could defund Obamacare.
• And journalist Ali Gharib will give us a rundown on the conflict in Israel.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Sundays at NOON!
»» Guests TBA
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on July 26, 2014 by Ring of Fire - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at email@example.com if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.” Also see Papantonio & Kennedy on Corporate Corruption and Fraud — Pt. 1/4
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on June 7, 2014 by Joshua De Leon
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Governor Voldemort Strikes Again (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio appears on The Big Picture with Thom Hartmann to discuss Florida Governor Rick Scott’s recent pow-wow with the CEO of one of the most vile private prisons in the United States.
• VIDEO! Pap and Seder: Oil Pimps Love Crisis in Ukraine (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder discuss the recent Republican approach to the crisis in the Ukraine, and how their ideas all come full circle to one obvious point: oil.
• VIDEO! Pap and Seder: Five Corporations Escaping America to Dodge Taxes (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder discuss a recent Alternet article from Dave Johnson that details five U.S. companies that are trying to get out of the United States to avoid paying their due taxes.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 7/21/14 Nida Khan: Is Opinion Shifting on Israel/Palestine + The Latest MH17
• TUESDAY 7/22/14 Bob Ivry: The Seven Sins of Wall Street: Big Banks, their Washington Lackeys, and the Next Financial Crisis
• WEDNESDAY 7/23/14 Scott Lemieux: Conservative Judges Are Ganging Up to Steal Your Affordable Healthcare
• THURSDAY 7/24/14 Ryan Devereaux: The Secret Government Rulebook For Labeling You a Terrorist
• FRIDAY 7/25/14 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Film Guy Matthew Weiss
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• The “Insider Threat Program” and the Government’s War on Whistleblowers by Michael Krieger —
The Obama Administration’s Orwellian government employee snitch network, dubbed the “Insider Threat Program,” first made headlines about a year ago. I found it to be so disturbingly significant I wrote a post about it titled: The 3 Key Takeaways from the Ridiculous “Insider Threat Program.” Those 3 key takeaways were that it…
- Creates a horrible and counterproductive work environment where everyone distrusts everyone else.
- Solidifies the fact the government is not interested in solving problems, but rather is focused on continuing the cronyism and criminality and merely covering it up.
- Creates a horrible and counterproductive work environment where everyone distrusts everyone else.
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday from 3-5 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up (8:30 am pt - http://kpfk.org), and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream....... New show hours effective 5/26/2014: 12-3 PM Eastern!
• Scott Horton Radio Show 07/23/14 Michael Scheuer: Michael Scheuer, former Chief of the CIA’s Bin Laden Issue Station, discusses the one-sided US-Israel relationship; why Israel’s “right to exist” is meaningless rhetoric; and what motivates Al Qaeda and other Muslim extremists.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 07/23/14 Gareth Porter: Gareth Porter, author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare, discusses the latest developments in US-Iran nuclear negotiations.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 07/24/14 Mitchell Prothero: McClatchy Foreign Staff journalist Mitchell Prothero discusses ISIS’s war on holy shrines in the cradle of civilization.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 07/25/14 Nebojsa Malic: Nebojsa Malic, a regular columnist at Antiwar.com, discusses the US media’s immediate conclusion that Vladimir Putin was responsible for downing Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 despite a lack of proof and the possibility that the Ukrainian government shot it down.
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Rep Steve Scalise (R-LA) House Majority Whip
• Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
• Hanan Ashrawi, a member of the PLO Executive Committee and a top Palestinian leader
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml