Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below!
DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks!
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!!
AZ Shooting Blowback Last Saturday's attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords at a shopping mall in Tuscon has unleashed a barrage of finger-pointing and accusations from both "The Left" and "The Right" that the shooter was a Republican or a Democrat (he's a registered Independent), that both are at fault. What's NEVER mentioned is the conservatives' virtual blanket of the public airwaves compared to liberal/progressive talk and comment. A report released in 2007 by the Center for American Progress The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio notes, "Our analysis in the spring of 2007 of the 257 news/talk stations owned by the top five commercial station owners reveals that 91 percent of the total weekday talk radio programming is conservative, and 9 percent is progressive. Each weekday, 2,570 hours and 15 minutes of conservative talk are broadcast on these stations compared to 254 hours of progressive talk—10 times as much conservative talk as progressive talk." Since 2007 many prog/lib stations have gone dark or switched to religion or sports talk if not directly to conservative talk so the ratio today may be more than the 10:1 the report found. Take your own informal poll by scanning your local AM radio dial and see what's on your local terrestrial stations. Eric Boehlert of MediaMatters.org spells out The Right's Rising Tide of Violent Rhetoric: It’s a wave of violence that’s cresting along with a tide of hateful, insurrectionist rhetoric that far too many conservatives refuse to condemn. Instead, the toxic talk is routinely defended as being nothing more than spirited debate. It’s not. It’s deadly. And until those in positions of power say so, the dangerous rhetoric is likely to continue. ... What’s undeniable is that the attempted assassination of Giffords took place against a right-wing media backdrop that has been targeting the government, and specifically Democrats, in an unconscionable manner: More at MediaMatters.com. And it seems the conservatives want even less "liberal" talk like the "evil" National Public Radio. The GOP is also trying to defund NPR & PBS as John Eggerton @ Multichannel News reports in Republicans Take Fresh Aim At Noncoms: Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) has...actually re-introduced two new bills, H.R. 68, that would cut all federal funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB) starting in 2013 (noncoms are funded several years in advance in an effort to insulate them from political pressures). H.R. 69 is targeted to NPR, only ending funding for the radio service, also starting in 2013. "Congress is playing politics with a public trust that hundreds of millions of Americans rely on for news, arts and entertainment, and for educational programming for our kids," said Craig Aaron, Free Press Action Fund managing director. "It's disgraceful that leaders of the ‘people's House' routinely threaten the nation's most trusted and respected sources of news just to score a few partisan points." Now that Republicans control the U.S. House of Representatives, they will chair most if not all of the House committees. First order of BIZNESS? Darrell Issa Asks Businesses Which Regulations Should be Killed @ CBS Hot Sheet: Republican Rep. Darrell Issa, who will lead the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, sent a letter to more than 150 companies and other organizations asking them to identify regulations that they would like to see eliminated. ... "This really says it all about whose interests the GOP is really out to protect - and it's not middle class families," added the Democratic National Committee. As we've heard over and over this past week, Words DO Matter. So how do the Republicans respond? Nadia Prupis @ t r u t h o u t explains how House Republicans Remove "Civil Rights" and "Labor" From Committee Names: House Republicans have renamed several Congressional committees by changing or removing certain hot-button words such as "civil rights" and "labor" from their titles. The Education and Labor Committee became the Education and Workforce Committee, while the Subcommittee on Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties is set to be renamed the Constitution Subcommittee....Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-New York), chairman of the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties since 2007, also spoke out against Republicans' plans to rename the panel and remove the words "civil rights" and "civil liberties." "Once again, the new Republican majority has shown that it isn't quite as committed to the Constitution as its recent lofty rhetoric would indicate. It has yet again shown its contempt for key portions of the document – the areas of civil rights and civil liberties - by banishing those words from the title of the Constitution Subcommittee." Yep words like "civil rights" and "civil liberties" DO MATTER but apparently not to Republicans who historically have opposed both types of legislation. Elsewhere Raw Story reports WikiLeaks has ‘insurance files’ on News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch, Assange claims WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said in a recent interview that he is holding back "insurance files" which could embarrass Rupert Murdoch and his international media empire at News Corporation. The secrets website was also holding of over 500 US State Department cables about one broadcasting organization in particular, he added. Assange made the disclosure while speaking to New Statesman, saying the files "will be released" if something happens to him or his organization. "There are 504 US embassy cables on one broadcasting organisation and there are cables on Murdoch and News Corp.," he said. The files "speak more of the same truth to power," he added. The government's National Commission on BP Deepwater Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling released its Final Report and a h/t to nora who notes Gulf of Mexico--Oil & Corexit PERSIST: BP and Obama deny this, but lab tests prove the pollution is there-- The Tragic State of the Gulf of Mexico: Sampling Reveals Oil and Dispersants on Mississippi Coast by Dahr Jamail and Erika Blumenfeld of t r u t h o u t: Lab tests have confirmed oil and chemicals from the dispersants in the samples tested, which contradicts ongoing statements from both BP and the Obama administration that the Gulf of Mexico is safe from the effects of the BP oil disaster. Surprised? THIS JUST IN: U.S. Bills States $1.3 Billion in Interest Amid Tight Budgets @ nyt (h/t ljm) As if states did not have enough on their plates getting their shaky finances in order, a new bill is coming due — from the federal government, which will charge them $1.3 billion in interest this fall on the billions they have borrowed from Washington to pay unemployment benefits during the downturn. ... The problem is not only the staggering number of people who have lost their jobs, but the fact that many states entered the downturn with too little money salted away in the trust funds they use to pay unemployment benefits, which they are supposed to build up in good times by taxing employers. AND Helen Brown The Fed Has Spoken: No Bailout for Main Street @HuffPo (h/t msgeaux) The Federal Reserve was set up by bankers for bankers, and it has served them well. Out of the blue, it came up with $12.3 trillion in nearly interest-free credit to bail the banks out of a credit crunch they created. That same credit crisis has plunged state and local governments into insolvency, but the Fed has now delivered its ultimatum: there will be no "quantitative easing" for municipal governments. ... If the Fed could so easily come up with 12.3 trillion dollars to save the banks, why can't it find a few hundred billion under the mattress to save the states? Obviously it could, if Congress were inclined to put non-bank lending back into the Fed's job description. Then why isn't that being done? The cynical view is that the states are purposely being kept on the edge of bankruptcy, because the banks that hold Congress hostage want the interest income and the control. Whatever the reason, Congress is standing down while the nation is sinking. Of course the Sunday Talkies will be about the fall-out from the Tuscon shooting spree, with This Anampour holding her own Town Hall live from Tuscon. Face the Bob has PA Guv ED RENDELL, RUDY "Mr. Nine-Eleven" GHOULIANI, KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND and Rep Gifford's good friend DEBBIE WASSERMAN SCHULTZ also on Meet the David with CHUCK SCHUMER and TOM COBURN. State of the Candy has various mental health experts while 60 Minutes put together DESCENT INTO MADNESS to "reconstruct the pathway to mass murder". Democracy Now has plenty more coverage from the past week as does GRITtv and Ring of Fire Radio. Make sure you catch Peter B. with Harvey Wasserman and Prof Scott Bonn on the "Moral Panic" the U.S. media used in the run-up to the Iraq War. Scott Horton has some excellent interviews with Coleen Rowley, Nick Turse, Tom Engelhardt and Danny Schechter of the News Dissector and don't miss Max Keiser's interview with CATHERINE AUSTIN FITTS. You may want to keep your eye on the fast-developing story in TUNISIA and the incredible flooding in Brazil, Australia and elsewhere worldwide. The Brick TeeVee Crew is now left with the No Fun League Playoffs and a Kingless and hurt Cavs (8-31). But The Daytona 500 is February 20th PLUS it's only 30 days 'til pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training! MLB Opening Day is not far away! Stay warm and have a great week! And enjoy your 2011 Martin Luther King Day! Take in your local celebrations!
January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
»»» Democracy Now! Complete Coverage of the Tucson Shooting
»»» Haiti earthquake: One year ago today @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Wednesday, January 12, 2011 Full one hour show.
»»» Icelandic parliament member Birgitta Jónsdóttir @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Icelandic Parliamentarian Calls U.S. Subpoena of Her Twitter Account over WikiLeaks Involvement "Disturbing"
»»» Tavis Smiley @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Tavis Smiley on Obama’s Arizona Memorial Speech, Martin Luther King and Hate in America
»»» Frances Fox Piven Professor of political science and sociology at the Graduate Center, CUNY @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Why is Glenn Beck Obsessively Targeting Frances Fox Piven?
»»» Tucson shooting survivor Eric Fuller @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Tucson Shooting Survivor: "It Looks Like Palin, Beck, Sharron Angle and the Rest Got Their First Target"
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW @ GRITtv WATCH Ken Bowser: Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune
»»» The "F" Word @ GRITtv The F Word: Children Becoming Collateral Damage & JThe F Word: Widening Concern for Public Workers
»»» Fran Ehret, President of the International Federation of Professional & Technical Engineers, Local 194 in New Jersey @ GRITtv Fighting For Respect for New Jersey’s Public Workers
»»» John Fugelsang @ GRITtv WATCH John Fugelsang: Bible Lessons for Westboro Baptist
»»» NFL PLAYOFFS SUNDAY Seahawks @ Bears 1 pm et FOX then Jets @ Patriots 4:30 pm et CBS
»»» NBA on TNT THURSDAY DOUBLEHEADER! Mavs @ Bulls 8 pm et then Clippers @ Blazers 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org
SIGN HERE NOW!
Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net
Support the troops who refuse to fight! See CourageToResist.org SPECIAL! Bradley Manning's state deteriorating says David House (h/t nora) Alan Colmes interviewed David House on Thursday's show. House repeatedly has visited Manning over the duration of Manning's detention, the meetings always in a room surveilled and in the presence of guards. House said when the visits began Manning was sharp and alert, but now Manning is slower to respond and seems run down. Here's House's firedoglake article: Bradley Manning Speaks About His Conditions Here's the Colmes' show with the interview of House: David House of FireDogLake.com joins Alan to reveal what he learned during his visit with U.S. Army Private Bradley Manning in the Quantico brig. Also see Merged Manning-Lamo Chat Logs and Glenn Greenwald The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning's detention & Wired's refusal to release or comment on the Manning chat logs
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,435 US Military Dead as of Jan 14, 2010
AFGHANISTAN: 1,459 US Military Dead as of Jan 14, 2010
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) with Christiane Amanpour
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. Tapper explains that as a host, you can only do so much fact-checking during the interview.
• Christiane Amanpour hosts a town hall discussion from Tucson, Arizona
• family members of victims, citizens who took heroic action and community leaders
• ABC News Anchor David Muir will be in the audience to restart a conversation about America and to probe the community's reaction to some of the difficult questions raised by tragedy.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer Topic: America in the Aftermath of the Arizona Shootings
• Rudy Giuliani, Former NYC Mayor
• Gov. Ed Rendell, D-Pa.
• Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y.
• Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla.
• Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.
- 60 Minutes (CBS) Editor's Note: 8 p.m. ET, 7 p.m. PT
• DESCENT INTO MADNESS - 60 MINUTES talks to Jared Loughner's friends and classmates and to ex-Secret Service, to reconstruct the pathway to mass murder he allegedly took in Tucson - a pattern this agent who once guarded the president could write a textbook about. Scott Pelley reports. Henry Schuster, Nicole Young and Jenny Dubin are the producers.
• YEMEN - Steve Kroft reports on the U.S.'s new partner in the war on terror, Yemen, a known al Qaeda hideout and recently the source of several explosive packages sent to America. Leslie Cockburn is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish.
• Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer of New York
• Republican Senator from Oklahoma Tom Coburn
• Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
• ROUNDTABLE: David Brooks of the New York Times, Peggy Noonan of the Wall Street Journal, Rev. Al Sharpton and Tim Shriver.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN)
At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Dr. E. Fuller Torrey, the executive director of the Stanley Medical Research Institute
• Dr. Lisa Dixon, the associate director of the Mental Illness Research Center.
• Dr. Fred Frese, a psychologist for 40 years, is the former president of the National Mental Health Consumers' Association
• Peter Earley, former national reporter for the Washington Post
• Congressional Mental Health Caucus, Rep. Tim Murphy (R-Pennsylvania) and Rep. Grace Napolitano (D-California)
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of the conversation on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email: bob [at] headonradio [dot] com.
Talkers’ Magazine : Bob Kincaid one of The Frontier Fifty!!!
• FRONT PORCH FRIDAY!!!!!! Bob gets an invite to the Liberal Cruise! Listen HERE (mp3)! Amen to White Rose Society for the podcasts! Head On Radio needs our help, too! Donate HERE!
- NEW! GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment!
Go see greennews.bradblog.com!
• 'Green News Report' - January 13, 2011 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Australia is drowning... so is China... so is Brazil; EPA smackdown on Mountaintop Removal coal mining; Still more on the BP Oil Disaster in the Gulf ... PLUS: It's official: 2010 was the hottest year on record ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• PBC Podcast 211 Bush’s Rehtoric and Lies Produced “Mass Deception” Prof. Scott A. Bonn of Drew University talks about his important new book: Mass Deception–Moral Panic and the US War on Iraq which makes a statistical case and a rational case that BushCo statements led the American public to support the invasion and occupation of Iraq.
• PBC Podcast 212 Journalist Harvey Wasserman Links Toxic Diet Soda to Gulf War Syndrome; Sgt. Geoff Millard Returns to Iraq Unarmed, UnembeddedJournalist, author and activist Harvey Wasserman returns to talk about his investigative story in the current issue of Hustler on the danger of soda pop with aspertame and possible links to Gulf War Syndrome; Sgt. Geoff Millard of Iraq Veterans Against War talks about his upcoming aid mission to Basra, military suicides and much more.
More podcasts at PeterBCollins.com!
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! January 14th, 2010
• Stepping into the Ring of Fire this week: author Jonathan Tasini will be here to tell us the real threat to the future of the American economy, and believe it or not, it isn’t the national debt.
• Author David Neiwert will be joining us to discuss how the eliminationist rhetoric from the Right helped fuel the flames that led to last weekend’s disastrous attacks.
• Peter Lehner from the NRDC will be here to give us some insight into the government’s new report on the causes of the BP oil spill that almost destroyed the Gulf of Mexico.
• And Linda Lipsen, the CEO of the American Association for Justice, will be joining us to talk about how the US Chamber of Commerce is restricting access to the courtroom for average citizens, but filing a record number of lawsuits on behalf of their corporate buddies.
• You Can Listen to Ring of Fire on These Stations HERE.
• VIDEO! Attack of the Right Wing Courts There’s no question that the current makeup of the US Supreme Court leans heavily to the Right, but just how far to the right has remained a secret until now. As it turns out, the conservative members of the judiciary have been rubbing elbows with some of the creepiest and most extremist right wing groups in America. Mike Papantonio talks about how deeply embedded our Supreme Court is with right wing America, and what this means for the judiciary, with Lee Fang, a researcher and blogger for Think Progress.
• VIDEO! The History of Right Wing Hate Talk Conservative hate talkers are not a new phenomena, and as Mike Papantonio points out on The Ed Schultz Show, hateful and violent rhetoric from the right existed back in the days of JFK, and many believe that this is what led to his assassination.
• VIDEO! Papantonio and Ed Schultz Expose Joe Klein, the Fraud Mike Papantonio and Ed Schultz discuss the journalistic void that is Joe Klein, as well as the hate talk that helped spur last weekend’s atrocities in Arizona.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the “Podcast” tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Mike Papantonio with David Bender: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm (4 pm on XM 167) featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts “The Truth About Markets” on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s “People & Power” series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge cosrporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• Currency Wars inflame countries around the world, “Give us Sugar.” by maxkeiser Food Price Shock Cometh zerohedge
• MUST READ: Eric Janszen: Part I: The Other Shoe by maxkeiser We need more growth but no one seems to know how the economy can grow any faster, without a new bubble to boost growth the way the housing bubble and war spending rescued the economy in the early 2000s. With interest rates at zero the economy lacks a tail wind of falling interest rates as it had in the early 1980s.
• To all who refuse to support Wikileaks, or who fail to think through what Wikileaks is all about . . . by maxkeiser A Wikileaks revolution? Tunisia has been rocked by riots recently over unemployment and corruption, thought to have been sparked by the suicide of a young man who could not find a job and was barred from selling fruit without a permit. @ HuffPo
• Catherine Austin Fitts on Gold, Silver and the ‘Crash JP Morgan’ Idea by maxkeiser MK: Since launching the CJPMBS campaign on 11/11/10 – when Silver was at $26.50 (after 5 years of promoting Gold and Silver: cost basis around $9 for Silver not for political purposes; but as protection against insanity) there have been two schools of thought on this campaign (while up 42% on an annualized rate of return at the same time Facebook was DEVALUED by 14% – pre-money valuation by GS): 1) It can work because JPM’s short position can be overcome with physical delivery (stock gets crushed) 2) It can’t work because JPM is the US government and so can simply tap into the Fed if necessary to cover any shorts. I have never understood the second response because it means the US dollar would get crushed – which is the same thing as JP Morgan crashing. In other words, you could save JP Morgan’s stock with a bailout, but the US dollar would have to be sacrificed. Again, at this stage of the deteriorating dollar – no accounting tricks are going to save the inevitable. So yea, JP Morgan’s stock can be kept at $44 or it can rise to $144 or $14,000 but it doesn’t matter since the dollar would be worthless and Silver would be at $500. We’re gonna get to $500 one way or another. Either JPM goes, or the dollar goes, or both. The Silver vigilantes like Sprott are gonna make this happen. There is very little Silver available – less than $30 bn. worth in total. If millions of people around the world want to make $500 happen faster, it’s up to them. It depends how much you like Wall St. laughing at you and stealing your money.
• KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Curse on Taxes (E111) with Gonzalo Lira in Chile
• KEISER REPORT [KR112] Keiser Report with Steve Keen – Schizo-Psycho-Bermudaflation! We interview Steve Keen.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS - no new shows
• ON THE EDGE “On the Edge” with David Morgan of Silver-Invester.com
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Max Kaiser-Fluctuations in the Silver Market (7-Jan-11)(1) (Part2) (Part3) with David Morgan @ www.silver-investor.com
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Danny Schechter January 08, 2011: Danny Schechter, executive editor of MediaChannel.org, discusses his new article that revisits journalist Helen Thomas’s career-ending Israel gaffe; how selective quotation from the “gotcha” clip turned Thomas’s poorly phrased response into “proof” of her anti-Semitism; the media hit pieces, gloating about Thomas’s exile, that make clear there is little tolerance in Washington for Israel-critics; and Schechter’s firsthand account – while working for ABC News in 1982 – of an Israeli campaign to stop the airing of an investigative news story about the West Bank. See Schecter's blog at NewsDissector.com LISTEN HERE (mp3) 20:03
• Tom Engelhardt January 11, 2011: Tom Engelhardt, creator of Tomdispatch.com and author of The American Way of War: How Bush’s Wars Became Obama’s, discusses Tomdispatch writer Nick Turse’s updated estimate of just how many US foreign military bases exist; how the official DOD tally omits bases in Iraq, Afghanistan and most of the Persian Gulf; why, in the age of billion dollar embassies and $130 million fuel depots, the US “empire of bases” is not economically sustainable; and how your stimulus dollars are being used for building police forces (in Afghanistan). LISTEN HERE (mp3) 18:10
• Nick Turse January 13, 2011: Nick Turse, author of The Complex: How the Military Invades Our Everyday Lives and editor of The Case for Withdrawal from Afghanistan, discusses his research that shows the Pentagon has over 1000 foreign bases – taking care to exclude the golf courses, resort hotels and family housing from the final count; the 88 bases (at least) remaining in Iraq that comprise lots of facts on the ground impeding the SOFA-agreed 2011 “for real” withdrawal deadline; inferring the presence of secret bases from discrepancies between troop deployments and the Pentagon’s official list of bases; and how Africa’s recent colonial history makes it difficult to headquarter AFRICOM on the continent. LISTEN HERE (mp3) 21:50
• William Hartung January 14, 2011: William Hartung, Director of the Arms and Security Initiative at the New America Foundation, discusses Lockheed Martin‘s close ties to leading neoconservatives and considerable contribution to US militarism; its domestic expansion into TSA agent training and contract work for the IRS, Postal Service, Census Bureau and FBI; Lockheed’s work on the controversial TIA and TALON domestic intelligence gathering programs – going far beyond the role of a typical defense contractor into a big-brother domestic role; its extensive global forays in diplomatic and even peacekeeping missions that has effectively wrought a company-specific foreign policy; the many bought and paid for Washington politicians, including Buck McKeon and Dan Inouye, in Lockheed’s pocket; and how watchdog groups like Project on Government Oversight are working to expose corruption and conflicts of interest. His recent Tomdispatch article is "Is Lockheed Martin Shadowing You? How a Giant Weapons Maker Became the New Big Brother." LISTEN HERE (mp3) 19:19
• Coleen Rowley January 14, 2011: Coleen Rowley, retired FBI agent and 9/11 whistleblower, discusses the recent COINTELPRO-style government infiltration of a peaceful activist group; planned MLK day protests at FBI Washington headquarters and Quantico Marine base in support of Bradley Manning; how the government’s overreaction to WikiLeaks has led to a culture of paranoia, including a memo warning of “insider threats” and suspiciously grumpy employees; how the expansive national security state sacrifices our civil liberties while justifying its bureaucratic existence; and why Manning’s detainment conditions are excessively severe, especially for a nonviolent man who hasn’t been convicted of anything. LISTEN HERE (mp3) 28:44
More interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Gov. Chris Christie, (R) New Jersey
• Tim Pawlenty, Former Governor of Minnesota (R)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml