Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
The Escape of Illegal GMO Wheat We start with Zerohedge's Tyler Durdan reporting In "Secret" Meeting, Eric Holder Tells Media He Will Stop Spying On It The US Attorney General's New Normal Watergate fiasco gets more surreal by the day. Eric Holder, currently being investigated for lying under oath, has been in hot water ever since the break of the AP scandal. But it has been his "handling" of the spillover that has raised eyebrows. The latest update is sure to raise them even more. Because it turns out that during Thursday's "off the record" meeting which the majority of the press boycotted for the simple reason that the reporting press probably can't go off the record when the topic is the US government's precedence over the first amendment or it will lose what little credibility it has left, Holder's message was simple: "trust me, I am the government, and I will stop spying on you." The farce just goes downhill from there. RT reports:
- ....According to Byers, Holder and Deputy Attorney General James Cole “said they are reaching out to editors and counsels for news organizations about how to strike what they called ‘the balance’ between protecting the flow of information and journalists’ ability to do our jobs and what they described as national security damage.” “[Holder and aides] completely endorsed the president’s statement that reporters should not be at legal risk for doing their job. They acknowledged the need for changes in their own guidelines and the need to have a more rigorous internal review,” Martin Baron added in the Washington Post. But even if the DoJ acknowledged those changes, eyewitnesses say it’s not certain when or how adjustments will be implemented. While most attendees say that Holder and Cole seemed understanding of their grievances, few walked away with feeling fulfilled about promises that have yet to be cemented. ...... "Who knows what’s going to happen if they in fact are going to practice what they seem to preach and try to change some laws that we feel are very relevant. But I think it’s sort of an opening gambit, an opening discussion,” New York Daily News Washington bureau chief Jim Warren told CNN.
At Businessweek.com Michael Riley explains How the U.S. Government Hacks the World ........ the NSA now focuses much of its espionage resources on stealing what spies euphemistically call “electronic data at rest.” These are the secrets that lay inside the computer networks and hard drives of terrorists, rogue nations, and even nominally friendly governments. When President Obama receives his daily intelligence briefing, most of the information comes from government cyberspies, says Mike McConnell, director of national intelligence under President George W. Bush. “It’s at least 75 percent, and going up,” he says. The key role NSA hackers play in intelligence gathering makes it difficult for Washington to pressure other nations—China in particular—to stop hacking U.S. companies to mine their databanks for product details and trade secrets. ..... The U.S. government doesn’t deny that it engages in cyber espionage. “You’re not waiting for someone to decide to turn information into electrons and photons and send it,” says Hayden. “You’re commuting to where the information is stored and extracting the information from the adversaries’ network. We are the best at doing it. Period.” The U.S. position is that some kinds of hacking are more acceptable than others—and the kind the NSA does is in keeping with unofficial, unspoken rules going back to the Cold War about what secrets are OK for one country to steal from another. “China is doing stuff you’re not supposed to do,” says Jacob Olcott, a principal at Good Harbor Security Risk Management, a Washington firm that advises hacked companies. ...... The two former security officials agreed to describe the operation and its activities without divulging which governments or entities it targets. According to the former officials, U.S. cyberspies, most from military units who’ve received specialized training, sit at consoles running sophisticated hacking software, which funnels information stolen from computers around the world into a “fusion center,” where intelligence analysts try to make sense of it all. The NSA is prohibited by law from spying on people or entities within the U.S., including noncitizens, or on U.S. citizens abroad. According to one of the former officials, the amount of data the unit harvests from overseas computer networks, or as it travels across the Internet, has grown to an astonishing 2 petabytes an hour—that’s nearly 2.1 million gigabytes, the equivalent of hundreds of millions of pages of text. The agency has managed to automate much of the process, one of the former officials says, requiring human hackers to intervene only in cases of the most well-protected computers. Just like spies in the physical world, the U.S. cyberspies take pains to obscure their tracks or disguise themselves as something else—hackers from China, say—in case their activities are detected. ........ Very spooky! Read all of this! In a related story Wired.com's Klint Finley explains how The White House, NASA Celebrate National Day of Hacking The White House is hosting a hackathon dedicated to government data. It happens this weekend, and it’s just one of the 93 hackathons organized across the U.S. as part of the National Day of Civic Hacking, a.k.a. June 1. During the two-day event, participants will work to build software applications that solve problems proposed by local, state and federal government organizations. The data sets and challenges were provided by 22 government organizations in total, including the White House, NASA, and the Peace Corps. “It is an incredible feat that we have so many government agencies making data available. This is the largest ever collaboration across government agencies,” says Celestine Johnson of Innovation Endeavors. Innovation Endeavors — a venture capital firm founded by Dror Berman and Google chairman Eric Schmidt — organized the event with the non-profit organizations Code for America and Random Hacks of Kindness. ...... It’s part of an ongoing effort to take hold of the mountains of data that government agencies collect and turn them into something that can provide more value to communities — and keep agencies honest. Earlier this month, for example, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services released a data set detailing the fees charged for common procedures to Medicare by 3,337 hospitals. Although the release prompted Providence Health & Services in Anchorage, Alaska to review their fees, observers don’t expect much immediate impact. It’s a harsh reminder that transparency doesn’t always lead to accountability...... You just can't make this stuff up! We refer you to Glenn Greenwald's The Most Transparent Administration Ever™ And in Wired's Danger Room David Axe posts Hacking the Drone War’s Secret History .... Josh Begley, a 28-year-old NYU grad student, has just created an application programming interface — basically, a collection of building blocks for software development — that allows anyone with basic coding skills to organize, analyze and visualize drone-strike data from Pakistan, Yemen and Somalia dating back to 2002. Based on information collected by the U.K. Bureau of Investigative Journalism, the API can be used to create interactive Websites (similar to this) that add depth, context and even a little humanity to the sterile news reports of the latest Unmanned Aerial Vehicle strike in some far-away conflict zone. Begley tells Danger Room he’s trying to bridge the “empathy gap” between Western audiences and drone-attack victims. “To Americans like me, what may have previously been blank spots on the map all of a sudden have complex stories, voices of their own. From 30,000 feet it might just be cars and buildings. But there are people in them. People who live under the drones we fly.” ...... The public release of Begley’s API, which took five months to complete, is timed to coincide with the White House-promoted National Day of Civic Hacking on June 1. Hacking Day aims to “liberate government data for coders and entrepreneurs.” The ACLU, for one, is commemorating the event with an API linked to the group’s vast database of documents related to U.S.-sanctioned torture of terror suspects.......
Next Joe Romm writes at ThinkProgress ClimateProgress Blog The Jet Stream: How Its Response To Enhanced Arctic Warming Is Driving More Extreme Weather We’ve written extensively about how how arctic ice loss is driving extreme weather. We’ve known for a long time that global warming melts highly reflective white ice and snow, which is replaced by the dark blue sea or dark land, both of which absorb far more sunlight and hence far more solar energy. That is one of the many sources of “polar amplification,” whereby the Arctic warms much faster than other parts of the globe. Now it seems increasingly clear that the amplified Arctic warming in turn amplifies extreme weather by weakening the jetstream (see video here). ....... Dr. Jennifer A. Francis of Rutgers University’s Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences explains, “As the Arctic warms at twice the global rate, we expect an increased probability of extreme weather events across the temperate latitudes of the northern hemisphere, where billions of people live.” This effect is all but certain to become even larger in the next decade or two (see Experts Warn ‘Near Ice-Free Arctic In Summer’ In A Decade If Volume Trends Continue). So all of us need to understand the jetstream better. John Mason at Skeptical Science has put together an extensive, must-read primer, “A Rough Guide to the Jet Stream: what it is, how it works and how it is responding to enhanced Arctic warming.” This figure-filled piece also explains key terms we’ll all be hearing more about in the coming years, including the “North Atlantic Oscillation” and “blocking ridge.”..... Also see 99 One-Liners Rebutting Denier Talking Points — With Links To The Full Climate Science ..... Physicist John Cook has done us a great service by posting good one-line responses and then updating them as the science evolves and as people offer better ways of phrasing. Below I have reposted the top 99 with links to the science. You can find even more here. Everybody should know the first 20 or so. ......
These are from March but worth a read. Dahr Jamal at Truth-Out.org Iraq: War's Legacy of Cancer and Mike Ludwig at Truth-Out.org Depleted Uranium Contamination is Still Spreading in Iraq.
Shapiro professor of public interest law at George Washington University Jonathan Turley explains The rise of the fourth branch of government ..... The growing dominance of the federal government over the states has obscured more fundamental changes within the federal government itself: It is not just bigger, it is dangerously off kilter. Our carefully constructed system of checks and balances is being negated by the rise of a fourth branch, an administrative state of sprawling departments and agencies that govern with increasing autonomy and decreasing transparency. ....... The rise of the fourth branch has been at the expense of Congress’s lawmaking authority. In fact, the vast majority of “laws” governing the United States are not passed by Congress but are issued as regulations, crafted largely by thousands of unnamed, unreachable bureaucrats. One study found that in 2007, Congress enacted 138 public laws, while federal agencies finalized 2,926 rules, including 61 major regulations. This rulemaking comes with little accountability. It’s often impossible to know, absent a major scandal, whom to blame for rules that are abusive or nonsensical. Of course, agencies owe their creation and underlying legal authority to Congress, and Congress holds the purse strings. But Capitol Hill’s relatively small staff is incapable of exerting oversight on more than a small percentage of agency actions. And the threat of cutting funds is a blunt instrument to control a massive administrative state — like running a locomotive with an on/off switch. ....... The judiciary, too, has seen its authority diminished by the rise of the fourth branch. Under Article III of the Constitution, citizens facing charges and fines are entitled to due process in our court system. As the number of federal regulations increased, however, Congress decided to relieve the judiciary of most regulatory cases and create administrative courts tied to individual agencies. The result is that a citizen is 10 times more likely to be tried by an agency than by an actual court. In a given year, federal judges conduct roughly 95,000 adjudicatory proceedings, including trials, while federal agencies complete more than 939,000. These agency proceedings are often mockeries of due process, with one-sided presumptions and procedural rules favoring the agency. ....... Hoo boy! Much more!
GMO UPDATE: MarketWatch's Sara Sjolin reports Japan cancels U.S. wheat order on GMO fear: report LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Japanese authorities have canceled a tender offer to buy wheat from the U.S., after unapproved genetically modified wheat was found in an Oregon field, Reuters reported on Thursday. Other major wheat importers South Korea, China and the Philippines also said they were monitoring the situation, after the find stirred concerns that the modified wheat could have made it to the marketplace, the report said. On Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said it had conducted a genetic test on the wheat and found that it was an experimental type produced by Monsanto Co. MON -0.43% that hadn't been approved for sale. The European Commission has since said it has asked EU member states on Thursday to check imports of U.S. soft white wheat......
BTV Correspondent jen exclaims "Good! Just the other day, China destroyed a shipment of GMO corn from the USA. Oh, good!! Now we'll be sure to get to the bottom of this!! " Okay maybe. From Frank Herd at Citizens For Health Chances are you’ve heard already, but the news is disturbing enough to make sure. The exact same variety of GMO (genetically moified) wheat developed by Monsanto in the 1990s (the field trials were supposed to have ended years ago) was discovered to be growing in an Eastern Oregon farmer’s fields, in clear violation of US law. (Important note: The farmers who discovered the alien wheat sprayed repeatedly to kill it, but could not. They sent it to a university lab for analysis, which is how Monsanto’s concoction was discovered). CFH warned long ago about the dangers of such experimenting. Regardless of how vehemently Monsanto asserted that protections were in place to prevent cross-pollination of farmland neighboring areas in which experiments were conducted, we questioned exactly how Monsanto would control the wind, rain, and agricultural runoff that threatened to spread the Frankenseeds. (Never mind that they would probably love to do exactly that). Well, now Monsanto and the USDA are scrabbling to reassure consumers concerned about just how deeply into the environment this GMO wheat may have spread. Even though they assure us that the wheat is safe for human consumption, the USDA has launched a formal investigation to determine how this spread of Monsanto’s illegal wheat occurred. Unfortunately, the rest of the world is no more confident about this than consumers are. Bloomberg News reported today that Japan has suspended imports of US-grown wheat, and the price of wheat is falling. Of additional concern according to KGW in Portland: “The discovery also could have implications for organic companies, which by law cannot use genetically engineered ingredients in foods.” Enough is enough. In case you didn't know GMO alert: Eating GM wheat may destroy your liver, warn scientists (NaturalNews) Genetically engineered wheat contains an enzyme suppressor that, when consumed by humans, could cause permanent liver failure (and death). That's the warning issued today by molecular biologist Jack Heinemann of the University of Canterbury in Australia. Heinemann has published an eye-opening report that details this warning and calls for rigorous scientific testing on animals before this crop is ever consumed by humans. The enzyme suppressor in the wheat, he says, might also attack a human enzyme that produces glycogen. Consumers who eat genetically modified wheat would end up contaminating their bodies with this enzyme-destroying wheat, causing their own livers to be unable to produce glycogen, a hormone molecule that helps the body regulate blood sugar metabolism........ And read more at Dr. Mercola's website New GMO Wheat May ‘Silence’ Vital Human Genes In a related matter 5 Million Farmers Sue Monsanto for $7.7 Billion Launching a lawsuit against the very company that is responsible for a farmer suicide every 30 minutes, 5 million farmers are now suing Monsanto for as much as 6.2 billion euros (around 7.7 billion US dollars). The reason? As with many other cases, such as the ones that led certain farming regions to be known as the ‘suicide belt’, Monsanto has been reportedly taxing the farmers to financial shambles with ridiculous royalty charges. The farmers state that Monsanto has been unfairly gathering exorbitant profits each year on a global scale from “renewal” seed harvests, which are crops planted using seed from the previous year’s harvest. The practice of using renewal seeds dates back to ancient times, but Monsanto seeks to collect massive royalties and put an end to the practice. Why? Because Monsanto owns the very patent to the genetically modified seed, and is charging the farmers not only for the original crops, but the later harvests as well. Eventually, the royalties compound and many farmers begin to struggle with even keeping their farm afloat. It is for this reason that India slammed Monsanto with groundbreaking ‘biopiracy’ charges in an effort to stop Monsanto from ‘patenting life’. Jane Berwanger, a lawyer for the farmers who went on record regarding the case, told the Associted Press:
- “Monsanto gets paid when it sell the seeds. The law gives producers the right to multiply the seeds they buy and nowhere in the world is there a requirement to pay (again). Producers are in effect paying a private tax on production.”
The New Inquiry's Jarrod Shanahan explains some of the myths behind the "New World Order"-type conspiracies in this long read I Want to Believe .... Begrudgingly, we conceded that in the present, human events unfold within a limited set of possibilities, and that there is in fact a tenuous global order. We admitted that the actions of sovereign states, the decisions of participatory democracies, and the interplay of “free” enterprises are in fact predetermined by a logic which they cannot defy in their present form, lest it undermine and ultimately destroy them. And while we of course recognized that individuals or groups may wield immense power, take actions with beneficent or disastrous consequences, and create vast masturbatory displays of their own wealth and power, they can only do so under the compulsion of a power higher still. And among the world’s poor, individuals acting as such are powerless, with their powerlessness’ apotheosis in misguided martyrdom or impotent political violence. As a point of divergence, however, we insisted that this higher power is ultimately not human, no more than it is divine. It has been called many names over the years, but it’s simply the necessity for capital to accumulate, and for capitalism to expand, destroying all barriers which stand in its way, and incorporating all extant social forms into its own reproduction or else wiping them out. Beheading the king, as they say, we maintained that this process is not exactly executed by, but more specifically through humans, whom it forms as subjects through their daily work and behind their backs. As such they are subjects who do not determine this rationality, but only serve to make it function more effectively, and reproduce its material existence. The prefigured roles for humans to act out their will in the world fix them within strict parameters which do not challenge capital. Outside of this is outside of the law, and in the minds of many, outside of the imaginable. In short, we informed our friend, there are no Rothschilds necessary, nor even possible. At this stage in its historical development, the conspiring businessmen and heads of state are merely vectors through which capital expands, expropriates, and encloses. Particular human actors have a choice to play by these rules or be cast aside, to be replaced by others just like them. Shadowy cabals meet in broad daylight at international summits, as Chomsky is apt to remark, and their meetings are terrifically boring. And the symbol of this “New World Order” is emblazoned on the dollar bill alright, but there’s no need for symbolic decoding. For maximum effect we set about prodding the rawest nerve of the modern mind’s bad conscience — the destruction of our ecosystem. ......
As a counterpoint read Decisive Ecological Warfare at Deep Green Resistance This is the question: Are you willing to accept the only strategy left to us? Are you willing to set aside your last, fierce dream of that brave uprising of millions strong? I know what I am asking. The human heart needs hope as it needs air. But the existence of those brave millions is the empty hope of the desperate, and they’re not coming to our rescue........... What’s realistic? What options are actually available to us, and what are the consequences? What follows are three broad and illustrative scenarios: one in which there is no substantive or decisive resistance, one in which there is limited resistance and a relatively prolonged collapse, and one in which all-out resistance leads to the immediate collapse of civilization and global industrial infrastructure. . . .
More from jen! Popular Resistance Newsletter - Announcing Our New Website, PopularResistance.org Two years ago, we launched October2011.org with “History is Knocking.” We asked if the time might be right for a larger mass of people to rise up against the corporate control of our government and US imperialist policies. We were not certain what the answer would be, but six months later hundreds of thousands of you did rise up in Occupy Encampments across the nation. Many more were inspired to join the work on a broad variety of injustices in their communities. Today we know that history is no longer knocking. History has opened the door and is standing in front of you. The broad movement for peace and social, economic and environmental justice is here and you are part of it. Today we announce a new platform to connect and build the mass popular resistance that is growing in the US. It’s called PopularResistance.org. It is a daily movement news and resource website to keep you informed about actions and events, and to provide you with tools for organizing in your community and creating a new world. We also seek to provide a common vision to end corporate rule and a strategic framework to achieve it. Here is a guide to using the website. To make this next phase effective, we ask you to share PopularResistance.org with others (see the “forward to a friend” button below). This is the movement’s site, and we encourage you to use it: submit your projects to the calendar, send us your ideas, and share articles and tools. Many have already joined as contributors. To build on this momentum, our first campaign as PopularResistance.org will be to stop the Trans-Pacific Partnership. We will stop the TPP. It will be a great victory against transnational corporations seeking a global corporate coup. It will be a great victory on which we will continue to build a movement against the rule of money and concentrated corporate power. Here is the strategy: . . . Go there to read the rest! See Ring of Fire below for Mike Papantonio's interview with Lori Wallach from Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch about why the T.P.P. is bad for America. The Brick TeeVee Crew spent last week prepping all our gardens and got several seeds in the ground, including organic sweet corn (we started about a month ago but have been staggering their planting) and added a row of mixed sunflowers behind them! We now have several plants that popped up from the first planting. We managed to get two varieties of parsley in some beds and also green and wax beans and cukes too. In the big garden we had to stop clearing weeds when we found a small nest of baby wabbits! There are 4-5 little buns in there (about 2" long, dark brown still with no fur)) but Ma Bun has been coming by to take care of them every day at dawn and dusk (so as not to give away her nest to predators) and we've been monitoring their growth. So far so good! Lots of small critters were severely affected by last year's drought so we hope the little buns make it okay. Once they're off romping with their ma (in a couple of weeks) we'll seal the garden again and plant the cornucopia of veggies: egg plant, tomatoes, peppers (from mild bell to super hot), lettuce, cabbage, zucchini and more! NEXT UP: trapping our garden's Enemy #1: Mr. Gopher who eats everything that pops up either by digging under the 7' fence or scaling it! Really! So bag the Sunday talkies, get out in your garden or click anything below and be instantly smarter! Don't miss DN!'s interview with Julian Assange, more on the TPP at BradBlog, PBC with reporter Joe Lauria on the Spiked Series in “London Times”, News Dissector Cliff Schecter on Ring of Fire and Sam Seder, and the always good Keiser Report with Max & Stacey. See you next week!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Members of Iraq Veterans Against the War Memorial Day Special: U.S. Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Return War Medals at NATO Summit
- Mary Kirkland Mother of Iraq Veteran Who Committed Suicide: "Honor the Dead, Heal the Wounded, Stop the Wars"
- Clive Hamilton, professor of public ethics at Charles Sturt University in Canberra, Australia Scott Olsen, U.S. Vet Who Nearly Lost Life at Occupy Protest, Brings Antiwar Message to NATO Summit Today we bring you a Memorial Day special, "Honor the Dead, Heal the Wounded, Stop the Wars." That was the demand of veterans who gathered in Chicago in May of 2012, just a year ago, at the site of the largest NATO summit in the organization’s six-decade history.
- Suraia Sahar, member of Afghans for Peace & Graham Clumpner, Afghan war veteran U.S. Army Vets Join with Afghans for Peace to Lead Antiwar March at Chicago NATO Summit
- Rise Against, punk band from Chicago "Hero of War"–Rise Against Song Captures Iraq War Veteran’s Tragic Experience
- Diane Ravitch, assistant secretary of education under President George H.W. Bush & Jesse Sharkey, vice president of the Chicago Teachers Union Chicago to Shutter 50 Public Schools: Is Historic Mass Closure an Experiment in Privatization?
- David Moberg, senior editor of In These Times magazine Obama Taps Billionaire Fundraiser Penny Pritzker for Commerce Despite Anti-Labor, Subprime Legacy
- Poet, Author Alice Walker Poet, Author Alice Walker Meets the Inner Journey with Global Activism in "The Cushion in the Road"
- Julian Assange, founder and editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks Julian Assange: Stratfor Hacker Jeremy Hammond Guilty Plea Part of Crackdown on Journalism, Activism AND Assange: U.S. Probe of WikiLeaks & "Show Trial" of Bradley Manning Aims to Scare Whistleblowers PLUS Julian Assange on Meeting with Google, Responds to Anti-WikiLeaks Attacks from New Film to Finances
- Tia Lessin & Carl Deal co-directors of the forthcoming film "Citizen Koch" Did Public Television Commit Self-Censorship to Appease Billionaire Funder David Koch?
- Smita Narula, faculty director of the International Human Rights Clinic at NYU’s School of Law As Lawmakers Target Food Stamp Funding, New Report Finds 1 in 6 in U.S. Are Going Hungry
- Benjamin Jealous, president and CEO of the NAACP In Civil Rights Victory, Virginia Restores Voting Rights for Hundreds of Thousands Nonviolent Felons AND As FBI Seeks Capture of Assata Shakur, NAACP Head Calls for U.S. Truth & Reconciliation Commission
- Luis Nieves Falcón, Puerto Rican lawyer, sociologist and educator & Matt Meyer, longtime member of the War Resisters League Oscar López Rivera: After 32 Years in Prison, Calls Grow for Release of Puerto Rican Activist
- Julie Burkhart Four Years After Murder of Dr. George Tiller, His Wichita Abortion Clinic Reopens Despite Threats
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW Idle No More: Sovereignty Summer Having fought for a over a century in the courts in the Parliament and at the international level, it's time now for local people to act, say the women of Idle No More. Joining Laura in the studio to talk more about it were Sylvia McAdam, one of the Original Founders of Idle No More and Kerry Coast, author of the new book "The Colonial Present." more..... BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NBA Playoffs on TNT MONDAY Game 7 Pacers @ Heat 8:30 pm et »»» NASCAR on FOX SUNDAY It's the FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks from the Dover International Speedway 1 pm et »»» SUNDAY BASEBALL on TBS Giants @ Cardinals 2:10 pm et »»» SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Red Sox @ Yankees 8 pm et BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
- Lawmakers concerned about the health effects on humans from mountaintop removal coal mining set forth legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives today. Representatives Dennis Kucinich (OH), Louise Slaughter (NY), Maurice Hinchey (NY), Earl Blumenauer (OR), Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA), John Yarmuth (KY), Lynn Woolsey (CA), Judy Chu (CA), Raúl Grijalva (AZ), James Moran (VA), Michael Honda (CA), John Conyers (MI), and Keith Ellison (MN) introduced the Appalachian Communities Health Emergency (ACHE) Act H.R. 5959 which would place a moratorium on permitting for mountaintop removal coal mining until health studies are conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services. The ACHE coalition presently consists of participants from Coal River Mountain Watch, Mountain Health and Heritage Association, and Christians for the Mountains. “We encourage you, if you’re concerned about mountaintop removal’s effect on your community’s health, to join us in making your voice heard,” said Allen Johnson, executive director of Christians for the Mountains. “Please contact us, learn about the issue, and take action to protect your community.”
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation! CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information! SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network UPDATE! From the Bradley Manning Support Network An appeal from Daniel Ellsberg May 27, 2013. By Daniel Ellsberg. The Bradley Manning Support Network has been key in coordinating nationwide support efforts for Bradley’s defense, raising hundreds of thousands of dollars from thousands of people. We need money to support ongoing grassroots efforts—including rallies, petitions, and ads. Most importantly, however, we need to continue fully funding Bradley’s legal defense efforts—including possible appeals, all the way up to the US Supreme Court, if need be....... AND Greg Palast for Vice MagazineBradley Manning & The Deepwater Horizon Bradley Manning tried to save the eleven men who died, burnt alive, on the Deepwater Horizon. But Barack Obama and the New York Times made sure that wouldn't happen. DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E image ©2006 arkysue The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,229 US Military Dead as of May 31, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• former deputy chief of staff and senior adviser to President George W. Bush, Karl Rove
• former Obama White House senior adviser David Plouffe
• ROUNDTABLE: editor-in-chief of The Huffington Post Media Group Arianna Huffington, PBS’ “Washington Week” moderator and managing editor Gwen Ifill and Wall Street Journal editorial page editor Paul Gigot
• ROUNDTABLE II: ABC News global affairs anchor Christiane Amanpour, TIME International editor Bobby Ghosh and Aaron David Miller, vice president of new initiatives at the Wilson Center
• Sunday Spotlight: Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., discusses his historic 57-year congressional career, as next week he becomes the longest-serving member of Congress.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Jack Reed, D-R.I.
• Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.
• ROUNDTABLE: Executive Editor of The New York Times Jill Abramson, The Washington Post's Bob Woodward and David Ignatius, The Daily Beast's Dan Klaidman and CBS News' Political Director John Dickerson.
• ROUNDTABLE II: David Gergen of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Michael Gerson of the Washington Post
- 60 Minutes (CBS) Summer Reruns
• Breakthrough - Humans can now move robotic limbs using nothing but their thoughts, a big step in the development of new robotic prostheses that could improve the lives of millions, including veterans who have lost limbs. Scott Pelley reports. Denise Schrier Cetta is the producer.
• Stealing History - Some of America's precious treasures, items like signed presidential papers and the Wright Brothers patent, have gone missing. One reason authorities began to take notice: a conman who stole thousands of them over several years. Bob Simon reports. Katherine Davis is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI)
• Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
• ROUNDTABLE: former top adviser to President Obama, David Axelrod; Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN); author of the new book, “The Center Holds: Obama and his Enemies,” Jonathan Alter; Republican strategist Ana Navarro, and NY Times Columnist Tom Friedman.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA)
• Sen. Debbie Stabenow
• Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
• ROUNDTABLE: Democratic Strategist Paul Begala, Republican Strategist Kevin Madden, The New York Times’ Jackie Calmes and The Root’s Corey Dade.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Front Porch Fridayday!!!!! Pull up a chair and a cold one! Listen NOW HERE - Friday, May 31st, 2013 ! Keep Bob on the air HERE ya hear? Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - May 30, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Problems found on Keystone XL pipeline in TX; Illegal Monsanto genetically modified wheat discovered in Oregon; Wal-mart guilty of toxic waste dumping; Shell admits moving grounded Arctic rig to avoid paying taxes; Russia evacuates its Arctic research station; PLUS: ExxonMobil's CEO unclear on the concept of man-made climate change ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Big win for Big Coal: Judge gives Patriot Coal OK to cut benefits; NM county first in nation to ban fracking to safeguard water; Video: the Impact Of Coal; Utilities fight shift to rooftop solar; Crappy solar panels threaten industry growth; Mountain of pet coke waste from tar sands looms in Detroit; China buys major US food supplier; Tesla to expand Supercharger network nationwide in 6 months ... PLUS: As glaciers melt, alpine mountains lose their glue... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! 'Trans-Pacific Partnership': A Global Corporate Coup While you're distracted by 'scandals', pretend and otherwise, both parties move ahead with support for a treaty that supplants the rule of law in favor of the corporate 'investor-state'...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Tell the FCC: Rush Limbaugh is Not Walter Cronkite After years of corporate abuse of licenses to use our public airwaves, the federal agency entrusted with overseeing them must now decide if Talk Radio equals 'bonafide news'...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! OH Poll Worker Convicted of Insider Vote Fraud Even with a new 'no contest' plea of fraud by Hamilton County (Cincinnati), OH poll worker, prosecutors find no evidence of voter fraud that might have been deterred by GOP-supported polling place Photo ID restriction laws...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC Standard Podcast May 24, 2013 Boiling Frogs: Reporter Joe Lauria on the Spiked Series in “London Times”, Boston Bombing Investigation, Syria and More
• PBC Standard Podcast May 31, 2013 Army Lawyer Lt. Col. Darrell Vandeveld on PTSD Case; Prof Vincanne Adams on Privatized Katrina Recovery
• PBC News & Comment May 30, 2013 PBC News & Comment: Is Obama’s Pick for FBI Boss Worse than Mueller? Obama names Republican James Comey, who was John Ashcroft’s #2 at “Justice” Dept. to head the FBI, another bad pick…..
• PBC News & Comment May 31, 2013 PBC News & Comment: A.G. Holder Tries to Mend Fences with Media Over Illegal Spying The chilling effect of spying on reporters is irreversible–they must expect that First Amendment rights are now optional….
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 7 pm Eastern.
• Pulitzer Prize winning journalist and author Mark Mazzetti will be here to discuss the evolution of the CIA from an intelligence-gathering agency, to an unstoppable killing department.
• Author and syndicated columnist Cliff Schecter will tell us why Tea Party darling Michele Bachmann decided to call it quits.
• Richard Eskow from the Campaign for America’s Future will join us to discuss the continued push for austerity.
• Journalist Alex Zaitchik will be here to talk about the corporations that are getting rich off climate change.
• And William Rivers Pitt from Truth-Out will tell us why the growing income disparity in America is going to be a disaster for our children and grandchildren.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Sundays at NOON!
- Ring of Fire co-host Sam Seder will tell us why the recent White House scandals are nowhere near as bad as the ones we’ve seen from Republicans.
- Citizens United opened the doors for unlimited corporate money to influence our election process. Because of that, we’re left with elected officials that are completely obedient to a few billionaire donors, and attorneys Howard Nations and Dave TeSelle will talk about the billionaires’ takeover of our democracy.
- When it comes to climate change, corporate America doesn’t care about stopping the problem, they only care about how much money they can make off of it – and they’re off to a great start. We’ll talk about the companies who are profiting off climate change with author Alex Zaitchik.
- The IRS is still under fire for targeting Republican groups, and Farron Cousins from The Trial Lawyer Magazine and DeSmogBlog.com will explain why the Tea Party needed to be investigated for violating their tax exempt status.
- And there are dangers lurking in that bottle of Tylenol in your medicine cabinet, and attorney Troy Rafferty will tell you why the world’s most popular drug is anything but safe.
- Ring of Fire co-host Sam Seder will tell us why the recent White House scandals are nowhere near as bad as the ones we’ve seen from Republicans.
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• TUESDAY 5/28/13 Grading Obamacare & A Judicial Power Play
• WEDNESDAY 5/29/13 Bhaskar Sunkara: Liberals and Radicalism
• THURSDAY5/30/13 Gar Alperovitz: Straight Talk On The Next American Revolution
• FRIDAY 5/31/13 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Isabel Gillies
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead. The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here! • The Killers of Aaron Swartz Are Now Targeting Kim Dotcom by maxkeiser - Two major Hollywood studios have asked Google to remove the homepage of Kim Dotcom’s Mega from its search results: Warner Bros. and NBC Universal Hollywood Studios Want Google to Censor Dotcom’s Mega..... • South Portland doctor stops accepting insurance, posts prices online by Stacy Herbert - Stacy Summary: Wow, what amazing cost and time reductions by cutting out the middleman and the bureaucracy that goes with supporting a multi hundred billion dollar health ‘insurance’ industry. It will, however, be interesting to see whether or not Americans can step away from their obsession with giving the banking sector (insurance) a huge cut of their medical spend. And you really, really don’t need to pay some dude $20 million per year before you can get your medical treatment. Hopefully, these people in love with their health insurance captors won’t start shrieking out of control demanding someone do something to prevent others from having the choice to go this alternative route: READ South Portland doctor stops accepting insurance, posts prices online • Blockupy hold anti-austerity protests in Frankfurt; surround the ECB; against austerity and food price speculation; German tanks protect Deutsche Bank by Stacy Herbert - Stacy summary: The sign says ‘fight capitalism,’ when it really should say ‘fight financialization’ or ‘fight rigged market fraud.’ READ Blockupy hold anti-austerity protests. Members of the Blockupy movement – a European version of Occupy – hope to cut off access to the European Central Bank and other financial institutions in Frankfurt today. They are protesting against the economic policies which are being implemented in Southern Europe. .... • KEISER REPORT [KR450] Keiser Report: Debt Crack Banker Babies We discuss crack babies and debt crack banker babies. In the second half, Max talks to James Howard Kunstler, author of the Long Emergency, about the US central bank pushing debt crack on an unemployed and under-educated population and a media high on frack crack – a high which makes the user see the oil wealth of Saudi Arabia in America. • KEISER REPORT [KR451] Keiser Report: Love, Trade, Recession We observe that spankings are trading at an all time high in London while on international markets, the enduring love for gold sees record volumes of physical metal trading hands. In the second half, Max talks to Mitch Feierstein, author of Planet Ponzi, about VIX volumes surging as old dummies are replaced with new dummies in the global central bank operated ponzi scheme. They discuss the optimism bias that provides a ripe environment into which UK chancellor, George Osborne, can introduce the biggest ponzi of them all with his “Help to Buy” scheme. • KEISER REPORT [KR452] Keiser Report: Debt Death Camps (featuring George Galloway) We explore the many ways to skin a debt cat: from Iceland where foreign unsecured creditors have been stiffed; to Greece where debtor prisons are under consideration; and to Spain where citizens were steered into Bankia shares before collapsing 99 percent in value; and, finally, the UK where inflation is the preferred debt/death camp option. In the second half, Max talks to George Galloway about Scottish independence, Rocky Marciano at the Senate hearings and the problem with unilateral socialism in a cold water Cuba. • THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1278] The Truth About Markets – 25 May 2013 The Truth About Credit Defraud Swaps and Incarcerated Trolls. Download show HERE (mp3) • Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday, excluding Thursday, from 12-2 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show 5/28/13 Sheldon Richman: Sheldon Richman, vice president of The Future of Freedom Foundation, discusses the classic 1964 antiwar movie The Americanization of Emily; how we perpetuate war by exalting those who wage and fight it; why representative democracy in the US is a sham; and the so-called small government conservatives who dreamed of building a nation in Iraq.
• SCOTT HORTON July 5, 2012: Scott says goodbye to Antiwar.com. Scott Horton is the former host of Antiwar Radio. Visit his blog Stress. Due to budget cuts Scott lost his gig at AntiWarRadio.com! Whoa! See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Rep Bob Goodlatte (R-VA)
• Rep Chris Van Hollen (D-MD)
• Rep Chris Van Hollen
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml