Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
2013 Memorial Day Special! We begin with this OCCUPY UPDATE: Editor Matthew Rothschild at The Progressive explains Spying on Occupy Activists OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS, the Department of Homeland Security and local law enforcement officers have engaged in widespread domestic spying on Occupy Wall Street activists, among others, on the shaky premise that these activists pose a terrorist threat. Often, Homeland Security and other law enforcement agencies have coordinated with the private sector, working on behalf of, or in cooperation with, Wall Street firms and other companies the protesters have criticized. Thousands of public documents recently obtained by DBA Press and the Center for Media and Democracy add new evidence to an increasingly powerful case that law enforcement has been overstepping its bounds. The documents, obtained through state and federal open records searches and Freedom of Information Act requests, demonstrate that law enforcement agencies may be attempting to criminalize thousands of American citizens for simply voicing their disapproval of corporate dominance over our economic and political system. (Editor’s Note: This article is derived from research and writing conducted by Beau Hodai, published by DBA Press and the Center for Media and Democracy in the report “Dissent or Terror: How the Nation’s Counter Terrorism Apparatus, in Partnership with Corporate America, Turned on Occupy Wall Street.”) The anti-terrorist apparatus that the U.S. government established after 9/11 has now been turned against law-abiding citizens exercising their First Amendment rights. This apparatus consists not only of advanced surveillance technologies but also of “fusion centers” in state after state that coordinate the efforts of law enforcement up and down the line and collaborate with leading members of the private sector. Often, the work they do in the name of national security advances the interests of some of the largest corporations in America rather than focusing on protecting the United States from actual threats or attacks, such as the one at the Boston Marathon on April 15..... HUGE! Read all of this and watch the interview with Matthew Rothschild on DN! below calling for the resignation of US AG Eric Holder!
GOPher CANARD OF THE WEEK: Republican Iowa Congressman Steve King is quoted in the Washington Times King: Benghazi 10 times bigger than Watergate, Iran-Contra combined “I believe that it’s a lot bigger than Watergate, and if you link Watergate and Iran-Contra together and multiply it times maybe 10 or so, you’re going to get in the zone where Benghazi is,” Mr. King said. Robert F. Kennedy responded quickly at HuffPoAOL Obama and Nixon: A Historical Perspective ...... As usual, the Fox-fueled GOP narrative swayed the mainstream press. On May 16, Reuters' Jeff Mason interrupted Obama's press conference with Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan to ask the President, "How do you feel about the comparisons by some of your critics with the scandals of the Nixon Administration?" Obama responded with calm contempt; he would leave those comparisons to the journalists. But he urged Mason to "read some history." If Mason takes that advice, here are some of the historical tidbits he might consider. ...... Nixon's minions had the IRS set up a special internal arm "the Activist Organization Committee" in July of 1969 to audit an "enemies list" provided by Nixon. My uncle Senator Ted Kennedy was at the top of that list along with a small army of well-known journalists. The IRS later renamed its political audit squad "Special Services" or "SS" to keep its mission secret. The SS targeted over 1,000 liberal groups for audits and 4,000 individuals. The SS staff managed their files in a soundproof cell in the IRS basement. ..... Nixon personally put White House dirty trickster Tom Charles Huston, former president of the Young Americans for Freedom, in charge of setting up the new IRS "anti-radical squad" to make sure that the laggards in IRS's bureaucracy didn't drop the ball. Huston prepared a 43-page blueprint for Nixon outlining a government agency campaign targeting Nixon's enemies. Uncle Teddy was still at the top. The scheme included tapping phones without warrants, infiltrating organizations that had been critical of the President and, purging IRS agents who refused to tow the Republican line. Huston told the President, "we won't be in control of the government and in a position of effective leverage until such time or we have complete and total control of the top three slots" at the IRS. Nixon also enthusiastically authorized a series of "black bag jobs" including breaking into offices, homes and liberal think tanks like the Ford Foundation and the Brookings Institute which Nixon believed was home to many former Kennedy Administration officials. ..... The "Jewish-controlled media" and the "liberal media" were never far from Nixon's limbic system. Nixon also bugged reporters and used bribery, blackmail attempts, forgery, spying, burglary, and extensive bugging by national police agencies and by his own "plumbers squad" to monitor and manipulate the press for political purposes. Many of the top twenty names on Nixon's political enemies list (which eventually included 47,000 Americans) were reporters. They included Daniel Schorr, Mary McGrory, Edwin Guthman and Walter Cronkite. Nixon's staff and agencies bugged their phones, investigated their sex lives, rifled their trash, and had them watched and followed. Nixon directly ordered the investigation of imagined homosexuality by columnist Jack Anderson, a devout, teetotaling Mormon with a happy marriage and nine children. ...... Those who bother to read these historical snippets will find many important departures and only tenuous parallels between the Obama Administration's IRS affair and Richard Nixon's Watergate-era IRS scandal. A principal distinction is the ingredient of direct presidential involvement. President Nixon was the fulcrum, the visionary and the principal conspirator in his various capers to use the IRS as a political weapon. Nixon personally directed and persistently harangued his staff to audit, investigate and gather dirt on his enemies for personal purposes. Nixon went to reckless extremes even punishing IRS agents who refused to participate in his vendetta. A mean-spirited viciousness and his contagious enthusiasm for law breaking were also distinctive Nixon bailiwicks. In contrast, there is no evidence that Obama even knew of the IRS investigations which were presided over by Donald Shulman, a Bush appointee. The most recent evidence indicate that the Tea Party audits resulted not from intentional political targeting of conservatives from the sheer preponderous of Tea Party applications among the hundreds of 501(c)(4) tax exemption requests that deluged a tiny understaffed IRS field office. ..... Click over for all the sordid details and more of Nixon's "colorful" language!
NEXT The New Yorker's Jane Meyer has now published A Word from Our Sponsor: Public television’s attempts to placate David Koch Last fall, Alex Gibney, a documentary filmmaker who won an Academy Award in 2008 for an exposé of torture at a U.S. military base in Afghanistan, completed a film called “Park Avenue: Money, Power and the American Dream.” It was scheduled to air on PBS on November 12th. The movie had been produced independently, in part with support from the Gates Foundation. “Park Avenue” is a pointed exploration of the growing economic inequality in America and a meditation on the often self-justifying mind-set of “the one per cent.” As a narrative device, Gibney focusses on one of the most expensive apartment buildings in Manhattan—740 Park Avenue—portraying it as an emblem of concentrated wealth and contrasting the lives of its inhabitants with those of poor people living at the other end of Park Avenue, in the Bronx. Among the wealthiest residents of 740 Park is David Koch, the billionaire industrialist, who, with his brother Charles, owns Koch Industries, a huge energy-and-chemical conglomerate. The Koch brothers are known for their strongly conservative politics and for their efforts to finance a network of advocacy groups whose goal is to move the country to the right. David Koch is a major philanthropist, contributing to cultural and medical institutions that include Lincoln Center and New York-Presbyterian Hospital. In the nineteen-eighties, he began expanding his charitable contributions to the media, donating twenty-three million dollars to public television over the years. In 1997, he began serving as a trustee of Boston’s public-broadcasting operation, WGBH, and in 2006 he joined the board of New York’s public-television outlet, WNET. Recent news reports have suggested that the Koch brothers are considering buying eight daily newspapers owned by the Tribune Company, one of the country’s largest media empires, raising concerns that its publications—which include the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times—might slant news coverage to serve the interests of their new owners, either through executive mandates or through self-censorship. Clarence Page, a liberal Tribune columnist, recently said that the Kochs appeared intent on using a media company “as a vehicle for their political voice.” ........ A large part of the film, however, subjects the Kochs to tough scrutiny. ....... Affiliates such as WNET are almost entirely dependent on gifts, some of which are sizable: in 2010, WNET received fifteen million dollars from James Tisch, the C.E.O. of Loews Corporation, and his wife, Merryl. (James Tisch is now the chairman of WNET’s board.) In New York City, such benefactors inevitably live in lavish buildings. Indeed, several relatives of WNET board members live at 740 Park. In a recent phone interview, Neal Shapiro, the president of WNET, said that he grew concerned about the film, which he had not yet watched, after Ira Stoll, a conservative writer, lambasted it in the Post. On the Friday before the film’s Monday airdate, Stoll, whose Web site, Future of Capitalism, has frequently defended the Kochs, wrote, “If the station has any sense, it will use the time until then to reconsider its decision to air the program.” He added, “If it doesn’t, its trustees and donors, some of whom live on Park Avenue, may want to consider whether they want to continue supporting an institution that insults them so viciously.” ....... That Friday, Shapiro initially said, he called Koch at his office and told him that the Gibney film “was going to be controversial,” noting, “You’re going to be a big part of this thing.” Shapiro offered to show him the trailer, and added that he hoped to arrange “some sort of on-air roundtable discussion of it, to provide other points of view.” It could air immediately after the documentary. (Shapiro told me, “We did this after Ken Burns’s film on baseball, too. We like to have a local angle.”) Shapiro asked Koch, “Do you want to be involved?” He also offered Koch the opportunity to provide a written response, which the station could air after the show. According to Shapiro, Koch, who rarely speaks in public, passed on the roundtable offer, saying, “I may just want to take it in and watch it, and form an opinion.” He agreed to think about contributing a written response. Shapiro acknowledges that his call to Koch was unusual. Although many prominent New Yorkers are portrayed in “Park Avenue,” he said that he “only just called David Koch. He’s on our board. He’s the biggest main character. No one else, just David Koch. Because he’s a trustee. It’s a courtesy.” ....... The weekend before “Park Avenue” aired, Gibney said, it was clear that “something weird had happened.” Shapiro called him at home. “He was very upset,” Gibney said. “They were thinking of pulling the program.” Gibney was told that the most pressing problem was Charles Schumer, the Democratic senator from New York. Schumer’s staff had called WNET, arguing that “Park Avenue” falsely accused the Senator of supporting tax loopholes for hedge-fund managers. Gibney double-checked his research and stood by his interpretation. Nevertheless, Shapiro told him that he planned to allow Schumer to add a response after the broadcast. But, Gibney noted, “Shapiro told me nothing about the Kochs.” Gibney gives credit to Shapiro and WNET for airing his film uncensored. He is disappointed, though, that the station gave Koch and Schumer the last word. “They tried to undercut the credibility of the film, and I had no opportunity to defend it,” he said. Moreover, WNET replaced the introduction to “Park Avenue,” which was delivered by the actor Stanley Tucci, with one calling the film “controversial” and “provocative.” Gibney noted that he had asked to interview the Kochs while making “Park Avenue,” but they had refused. Cohlmia initially denied this, but after Gibney’s office provided me with the relevant e-mails she acknowledged that she had been contacted. ..... Much more!
Sibel Edmonds' Boiling Frogs has this BREAKING NEWS- How the Sunday Times Investigative Series on Sibel Edmonds & US Ties to Al-Qaeda Chief was Spiked The Sunday Times Journalists Describe How the Edmonds’ Story was Inexplicably Dropped under the Pressure of Undisclosed “Interest Groups” Associated with the U.S. State Department. UK magazine Ceasefire publishes never- before-disclosed insights into how the Sunday Times investigative series was spiked under the direct pressure of interest groups tied to the US government. The groundbreaking and revelatory exposé is investigated and reported by bestselling author and analyst Dr. Nafeez Ahmed. The comprehensive and lengthy investigative report contains several explosive revelations confirmed and backed by two Sunday Times’ journalists, current and former government officials, and independent experts and analysts. I am going to break up the multiple revelations reported in this report into three separate posts here at Boiling Frogs Post. For this first post I am going to provide you with excerpts on how and why the confirmed investigative series by the Sunday Times was stopped by direct pressure from the US government and ‘undisclosed’ special interest groups [All Emphasis Mine]: ........... I want to urge our readers and supporters to read and help disseminate this one-of-a-kind brave report. I am calling it brave because despite multiple sources and experts confirming the reports, major mainstream and pseudo-alternative publications here in the United States adamantly refused to run the story, furthering the imposed blackout on Sunday Times by the US government and ‘special interest’ groups. Please help true and real investigative reporting by taking it upon yourself to disseminate this explosive story widely. Also, send the magazine a thank you note if you can – they are of a now-rare-breed in journalism. Thank you. Much more! Very important! See PBC below for more info on the CeaseFireMagazine report!
IN A RELATED MATTER TechDirt.com editor Mike Masnick writes from the really-now? dept. President Obama Is 'Troubled' About Chilling Effects His Own Administration Is Causing To Journalism? Well, this is rich. During his talk on Thursday, much of which focused on terrorism and drones, President Obama admitted that he's asked Eric Holder to review the DOJ's process for investigating leaks that involve getting information from journalists:
- President Obama said Thursday that he is “troubled by the possibility that leak investigations may chill the investigative journalism that holds government accountable.” In a major speech on national security, Obama said that the “Justice Department’s investigation of national security leaks offers a recent example of the challenges involved in striking the right balance between our security and our open society.”
- Obama said that “journalists should not be at legal risk for doing their jobs," but that the "focus must be on those who break the law."
Jim Lobe writes at his LobeLog about Elliott Abrahms involvement in Guatemala Speaking of Abrams, What Did He Know About Genocide in Guatemala? ..... in the middle of Elliott Abrams’ tenure as the Reagan administration’s assistant secretary of state for human rights. While human rights, church groups, and the American Anthropological Association repeatedly denounced that campaign (with some actually calling it “genocide”), the administration moved during that period to restore and increase military aid to the government. In fact, after visiting personally with Rios Montt in Honduras in early December, 1982, Reagan himself declared that the born-again president was getting a “bum rap” from rights groups and journalists and that he was “a man of great personal integrity” who faced “a brutal challenge from guerrillas armed and supported by others outside Guatemala.” ...... Precisely what his stance vis-a-vis Guatemala policy was during this period remains somewhat cloudy, as the American Republic Affairs (ARA) bureau, then led by the late Tom Enders (the man who oversaw the secret bombing of Cambodia), was the main public spokesman for the administration’s policy. Hopefully, the National Security Archive, whose dogged work played a major role in making Rios Montt’s prosecution possible, will soon release declassified documents that will shed light on what Abrams did or did not do on Guatemala during this period and specifically whether he signed off on/objected to/tried to amend testimony and other public statements made by Enders and other officials. (It would be very interesting to find out whether he may have, as the chief human rights official, personally briefed Reagan before the “bum rap” statement.)........ WOW. We know Elliot Abrahms is a known NEOCON and had his finger in MANY disinformation schemes over the last few decades. Will this one stick?
In a related matter McClatchy's Tim Johnson reports on the Reversal of Rios Montt verdict in Guatemala sparks criticism of genocide charge The overturning this week of former military dictator Gen. Efrain Rios Montt’s conviction on charges stemming from Guatemala’s brutal civil war has created a surprising consensus among critics on both the left and the right: Prosecutors badly overreached when they tried to pin accusations of genocide on the 86-year-old former president. Despite sharp divisions over the civil war – the legal process against Rios Montt exposed that underlying issues of racism and inequality are still-open wounds – starkly opposing forces are united in criticizing the prosecution for saying that ethnic hatred, and not economic or ideological issues, was the root of the war. They include two former Marxist guerrillas and a right-wing activist who asserts that Marxists infest the Attorney General’s Office. “To affirm that a genocide occurred is to twist history,” said Adrian Zapata, a sociologist who was a guerrilla commander during the civil war, which gripped Guatemala from 1960 until peace accords were signed in 1996. “What happened wasn’t an ethnic war like between the Hutus and the Tutsis in Rwanda.” ........ But in a dramatic reversal, Guatemala’s Constitutional Court overturned the verdict Monday, citing procedural errors. It said a lower tribunal must turn back the clock on the trial to the point where it stood on April 19, the date when one of the judges hearing testimony against Rios Montt rejected a previous order from another judge that would have halted the trial. It’s still unclear how the Constitutional Court’s order could be carried out. Few judges want to participate. Fifty-nine refused before judicial authorities found three who’d compose a new tribunal. “I don’t think there’s been this level of polarization in the country since the signing of the peace accords,” Zapata said. .......... Disappointment in the peace process is widespread. “We signed the peace accords because we thought it could be the beginning of improved conditions in the nation. But this hasn’t happened,” Zapata said. “We are at a moment of a lot of uncertainty,” added Alvaro Pop, an activist from the Kekchi branch of Mayans and a promoter of indigenous political participation. “The thirst for justice in Guatemala is very strong, and it has been historically thwarted.” ....... Some view the Rios Montt trial less through the lens of racial discrimination than through the perspective of economic privilege, political persuasion and international pressure. After the now-overturned verdict was handed down, the umbrella Guatemala business confederation, known by its initials as CACIF, called for its annulment, saying the verdict came because of international pressure. Enemies of Rios Montt saw that as the powerful business class meddling in the judiciary, while others say meddling came from elsewhere. “The people behind this trial aren’t former guerrillas. They are NGOs” – nongovernmental organizations – usually funded from abroad, Porras said........
WAR ON SCIENCE: John Timmer at ARS Technica reports on the latest Lamar Smith (R-TX) Proposed bill that would regulate NSF research funding faces backlash Over the past several months, Congress has gotten rather upset by some of the research funded by arms of the federal government, such as the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health. That displeasure eventually prompted the House Science Committee's chair, Lamar Smith (R-TX), to float a bill that would require the head of the NSF to certify that every single grant its organization funded was either in the national interest or groundbreaking. As we pointed out, the mission of the NSF is to fund research in fundamental questions in science (typically called "basic" research). As such, the research isn't intended to have immediate commercial or military applications; those would come decades down the line, if ever. And it's generally considered impossible to predict which areas of research will eventually be viewed as groundbreaking at some point in the future. Now, scientists who have served in the NSF are saying the same things. In a letter to Smith obtained by Science magazine, they point out that the draft bill "frankly requires the Director [of the NSF] to accurately predict the future." And they point to a technology that's currently having a huge commercial impact—the laser—that grew out of basic research using microwaves. In fact, in their view, "many basic research projects in every field supported by the NSF would likely not qualify for certification under this bill."
GLOBAL WARMING UPDATE: The Koch Bros. et.al. War on Science disinformation campaign suffered a major setback with the release of this New Study: Climate Scientists Overwhelmingly Agree Global Warming Is Real and Our Fault reports Phil Plaitt at Slate.com A new study has just come out that looked at nearly 12,000 professional scientific journal papers about global warming, and found that—of the papers expressing a stance on global warming—97 percent endorse both the reality of global warming and the fact that humans are causing it. Ninety-seven percent. That’s what we call a “consensus”, folks. The study was clever. They found the papers by searching on the terms “global warming” and “global climate change”. Once they compiled the list of papers, they looked at the abstracts (a short summary of the results scientists put at the top of their papers) to see if the paper itself talked about the causes of global warming. About 4000 of the papers did so. That may seem like a smallish fraction, but most papers analyze measurements and climate effects, not the cause of global warming (like most astronomical papers on, say, galaxies don’t discuss how galaxies form, but focus on their structure, content, and so on—also, because there is such a strong consensus on warming, scientists don't generally feel the need to state the obvious in their abstracts). Examining those 4000 papers, the study authors determined that 97.1 percent of them endorsed the consensus that humans are causing global warming. And here’s where they did the clever bit: They contacted 8500 authors of the papers in question and asked them to self-rate those papers. They got responses from 1200 authors (a nice fraction), and, using the same criteria as the study, it turns out 97.2 percent of the authors endorse the consensus. That’s a remarkable agreement! And it’s no surprise. There have been several studies showing almost exactly the same thing. This new one is interesting due to the methodology, and the fact that it’s so robust...... Global warming is real. Climate change is happening. Carbon dioxide in the air is increasing, and is at a higher level than it has been for the past three million years. That carbon dioxide is increasingly heating us up: we are warming at a rate faster than in the past 11,000 years, and most likely far longer than that. And it’s our fault. It’s well past time we do something about it, and we need to get past this false controversy. For more information, go to The Consensus Project, and see what we can do about it.
AND if YOU want to learn even more go to DeepGreenResistance.org! Good item!
VIDEO! Economist Bill Black: "Weakness of financial regulators shows you can not "tame the scorpion"."
Here's the video & transcript at TruthOut by Paul Jay at The Real News Network Banks Win Big as Regulators Refuse to Rein in $700 Trillion Derivatives Market
- PAUL JAY, SENIOR EDITOR, TRNN: Welcome to The Real News Network. I'm Paul Jay in Baltimore. And welcome to this week's edition of The Black Financial and Fraud Report with Bill Black, who now joins us from Kansas City. Bill's an associate professor of economics and law at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, a white-collar criminologist--he was and is. He was a former financial regulator. And he's the author of the book The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One. Thanks for joining us again, Bill.
Then Matt Taibbi writes in Rolling Stone Deja Vu on the Hill: Wall Street Lobbyists Roll Back Finance Reform, Again ..... In the last two weeks, we've seen two major developments here. There was a wave of deregulatory bills that snuck through the House with surprisingly bipartisan support, and a series of regulatory decisions by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission that will seriously weaken the already-weak Dodd-Frank reform legislation, particularly with regard to derivatives trades. If a story about a wave of bills designed to prevent the meager derivatives reforms passed in Dodd-Frank from being enacted sounds familiar, that's because it is. I wrote almost exactly the same story a year ago, in the middle of May, 2012, when a herd of Wall Street-friendly congresshumans teamed up in the House Financial Services Committee to push through a wave of nine ambitious bills targeting derivatives reform. ..... But this is the key to understanding how financial lobbyists succeed in getting what it wants on the regulatory front: They never stop. It's not a war of ideas, it's a war of resources. You march up the Hill with some crazy idea about overturning a bill prohibiting bailouts of companies that engage in risky derivative trades, you get knocked down, and you march up again, then you march up again, and again . . . Which brings us to this month: A little while back, I got a call from someone in the House. "You wouldn't believe the shit they just pushed through the Financial Services Committee,” he groaned. This person read off a list of bills, suggested I look them up, then specifically told me to look at how many Democrats voted "yea" on them. "A lot of bad D votes on this one," was the editorial comment here. Almost all of these bills turned out to be aimed directly at Title VII of the Dodd-Frank Act, i.e. the derivatives portion. They included..... Go to the link to read Matt unpack the evil financial deregulatory bills on their way to the Senate. Taibbi concludes .... Moreover, the Democrats have become the victims of their own pusillanimity on these issues. The main Wall Street argument against these new rules is that they're excessive and onerously complicated. But they're only complicated because the Democrats didn't have the stones in the original Dodd-Frank debate to insist on simple concepts like putting all trades on open exchanges. Instead, they built a system based upon a series of fiendishly complicated compromises. They keep adding more and more fine print to the infrastructural rules for things like Swap Execution Facilities and deriviatives clearing, and the more fine print there is, the more cracks and crevices Wall Street's lawyers can find to slither through....
CORPORATE TAX AVOIDANCE UPDATE: In the wake of Apple's exposed Web of Tax Shelters Kevin Parrish writes at TomsHardware.com how Microsoft, HP Accused of ''Skirting'' U.S. Taxes U.S. companies have at least $1.5 trillion in profits sitting offshore, says the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. Reuters reports that both Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft are refuting claims that they use offshore units and loopholes to prevent Uncle Sam from yanking taxes from their billions of dollars in profits. The claims were made by the Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations which claims that tax avoidance is running rampant in the technology sector. Tech companies like Microsoft and HP have reportedly stashed away their intellectual properties, royalties and licensing fees in "overseas tax havens" to skirt government taxes. The report arrives after the panel subpoenaed internal documents from the two companies, and interviewed their top officials. "The tax practices and gimmicks range from egregious to dubious validity," said Democratic Senator Carl Levin, chairman of the panel during a news conference. ....... Now here's the shocker. Microsoft reportedly shifted $21 billion to offshore accounts from 2009 to 2011, almost half of its U.S.-based retail sales revenue. Thus, the Redmond company saved up to $4.5 billion USD in taxes on goods that were sold here in the States. The company has even moved royalty revenue of units to low-tax nations to avoid paying billions to the U.S. It gets even better. Levin told Reuters that the Redmond company legally established one Microsoft Singapore unit in Bermuda unmanned. Wanting to know why, Levin asked Microsoft's tax vice president, William Sample, if this office was established merely to cut its tax bill. Sample confirmed with a "yes, that is correct." The report goes on to reveal that HP avoided paying millions of dollars in taxes by using an exception in the law for short-term loans. The company reportedly funded its U.S.-based operation through intra-company loans. Now more than 90-percent of HP's cash is sitting offshore, and one document even suggests that HP has slipped cash into the States without paying the appropriate taxes.
Things are getting even worse as The Powers That Be (TPTB) are working diligantly to dismantle what's left of soveriegn countries' laws. Lori Wallach at Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch reports on The Rise and Fall of Fast Track Trade Authority and the latest on the Trans-Pacific Partnership: Corporate Power Tool of the 1%. Catch Lori on Ring of Fire Radio this week!
We give our BTV LAST WORD to Prairie2 in Bite of the rotten Apple ....... In other Congressional testimony this week it was revealed that the $102b in taxes that Apple is dodging by holding money 'overseas' to avoid paying US income taxes on is not only managed by an Apple subsidiary with its only employees in Reno NV, but the actual cash is in NYC banks. On paper the money is in Ireland where Apple has no employees, but it does add to the Irish GDP, at least on paper. Ireland's 'recovery' through austerity measures is much touted by the right, but is entirely a fiction based on this sort of 'tax free' corporate transaction, especially by Big Pharma. In real terms, Ireland isn't much better off than Greece. In fact all of the big US corporations have been doing exactly the same as the rotten Apple is doing, making many trillions here in the US and paying no taxes anywhere. Contrary to the made up 'science and history' of the corporate right, this is not the natural order of things that has existed since the world was created in 4000 BC. This used to be (before Reagan revised history and stopped enforcement) called 'tax evasion', and if you or I did it even now, it would land us in a Federal prison. The corporations and their network talking heads still lobby for a special law to 'repatriate' these offshore profits 'to America' so that they can take them as dividends while paying little or no taxes. Remember that the money is already here, they can throw it around as an economic weapon against anybody smaller than these behemoths, but they can't take these profits as dividends. The paid call-in trolls are pushing hard on the idea that corporations don't pay any taxes anyway and that they 'just pass it along to consumers'. If that were true, why do they care what tax rate they pay at all? It shouldn't be an issue for them to pay taxes to maintain the infrastructure that they use, since it doesn't really cost them anything, you know because the consumer pays their taxes. Too bad Trolls don't really live under bridges, squashing a few would be Karmic justice. Twitter @BruceEnberg Or scrawl your message on a rusty bridge beam, they need the paint. Thanks Bruce. The Brick TeeVee Crew also recommends Freeway Blogging! Visit Tales of the Freeway Blogger for ideas!
As for this Memorial Day if you go to your local parade and/or memoriam ceremony listen closely to those who make speeches. In our town (and maybe yours too) they always save a speaking slot for whomever is running the local VFW. Our designated VFW speechmaker (usuallly some old craggy-faced guy) has encouraged our youth to check out "the military option" as a "career path" to "serve your country". And every year I bite my tongue and shake my head. Recruiting? On Memorial Day? Decoration Day? For a war machine that has been at it somewhere in the world constantly for decades? Try this: count how many times the words "war" and "peace" are used in all their speeches. Nobody talks about Peace on Memorial Day, a day of reflection and remembrance of war dead. On Monday if you go to your community parade and/or ceremony and have a chance, maybe step up to the mic and start with "Can we talk about peace?" and go from there. We're sure you'll have plenty to work with. If we can't talk openly about Peace on Memorial Day with our fellow citizens, when can we? Go for it.
A warm BTV birthday wish for Pete Townsend who turned 68 on May 19th!
And a sad note Doors' keyboardist Ray Manzarek died this week at 74.
Break on through Ray.
R.I.P. Ray Manzarek
Raymond Daniel Manczarek, Jr.
February 12, 1939 – May 20, 2013
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Gerardo Reyes-Chavez, a farm worker and organizer with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers Coalition of Immokalee Workers Targets Wendy’s in Fair Food Campaign to Improve Wages, Conditions
- Clive Hamilton, professor of public ethics at Charles Sturt University in Canberra, Australia Geoengineering: Can We Save the Planet by Messing with Nature?
- Jesse Hagopian, ihigh school history teacher and union rep at Garfield High School in Seattle Seattle Teachers, Students Win Historic Victory Over Standardized Testing
- Beverly Allam, Oklahoma resident & Jeff Masters, director of meteorology at the Weather Underground "The Unimaginable Has Happened": Massive Tornado Kills Dozens, Flattens Suburb of Oklahoma City
- David Stuckler & Dr. Sanjay Basu co-authors of the book, The Body Economic: Why Austerity Kills—Recessions, Budget Battles, and the Politics of Life and Death Why Austerity Kills: From Greece to U.S., Crippling Economic Policies Causing Global Health Crisis
- Liliana Segura, associate editor at The Nation magazine After 3 Trials, Memphis Prisoner Timothy McKinney Wins Freedom by Pleading Guilty to Crime He Denies
- Dave Philipps, an investigative reporter for the Colorado Springs Gazette Other than Honorable: Army Strips Benefits of Wounded Veterans by Kicking Them Out for Misconduct
- Matthew Rothschild, editor and publisher of The Progressive magazine Editor of The Progressive Calls for Eric Holder to Resign over Spying on Press, Occupy Protesters
- Jeremy Scahill Killing Americans: Jeremy Scahill on Obama Admin’s Admission 4 U.S. Citizens Died in Drone Strikes
- Helen Mack, one of Guatemala’s most well-known human rights activists & Kate Doyle, director at the Guatemala Documentation Project at the National Security Archive Ríos Montt Genocide Verdict Annulled, But Activists Ensure US-Backed Crimes Will Never Be Forgotten
- Father Alejandro Solalinde Mexican Priest Alejandro Solalinde on Central, South American Migrants’ Perilous Journey to U.S.
- CodePink Founder Medea Benjamin Medea Benjamin v. President Obama: CodePink Founder Disrupts Speech, Criticizing Drone, Gitmo Policy AND "That Woman Is Worth Paying Attention To": Medea Benjamin Explains Why She Disrupted Obama’s Speech
- Diane Wilson & Pardiss Kebriaei, senior staff attorney with Center for Constitutional Rights "As Guantánamo Hunger Strike Enters 107th Day, Diane Wilson begins 25th Day of Solidarity Fast
- Khalilah Sabra, director of the Muslim American Society Immigrant Justice Center The Story of Jude Mohammad: Why Was a U.S. Citizen Secretly Killed by U.S. Drone in Pakistan?
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW Justice for Patriot Mineworkers What's happening in St Louis doesn't look like a coal-field war, but the same things are at stake: reciprocity, respect, fair play. If the company can walk away from good union jobs and the UMWA, then heaven help the fast food workers. more....
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» INDYCAR on ABC SUNDAY It's the 97th running of The Greatest Spectacle in Racing! 12 pm et »»» NASCAR on FOX SUNDAY It's the Coca-Cola 600 from Charlotte Motor Speedway! 6 pm et »»» SUNDAY BASEBALL on TBS Yankees @ Rays 1:40 pm et »»» SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Braves @ Mets 8 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communi ties
- Lawmakers concerned about the health effects on humans from mountaintop removal coal mining set forth legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives today. Representatives Dennis Kucinich (OH), Louise Slaughter (NY), Maurice Hinchey (NY), Earl Blumenauer (OR), Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA), John Yarmuth (KY), Lynn Woolsey (CA), Judy Chu (CA), Raúl Grijalva (AZ), James Moran (VA), Michael Honda (CA), John Conyers (MI), and Keith Ellison (MN) introduced the Appalachian Communities Health Emergency (ACHE) Act H.R. 5959 which would place a moratorium on permitting for mountaintop removal coal mining until health studies are conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services. The ACHE coalition presently consists of participants from Coal River Mountain Watch, Mountain Health and Heritage Association, and Christians for the Mountains. “We encourage you, if you’re concerned about mountaintop removal’s effect on your community’s health, to join us in making your voice heard,” said Allen Johnson, executive director of Christians for the Mountains. “Please contact us, learn about the issue, and take action to protect your community.”
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Meet the New CISPA. Same as the Old CISPA. Last year, thanks to a public outcry, the effort to pass overreaching cybersecurity legislation stalled in the Senate. Now supporters have reintroduced the House version of that legislation — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). The “new” version is in fact identical to the original CISPA — and poses the same threat to our digital civil liberties. If CISPA becomes law, it will be a major blow to our online privacy. But more than that, CISPA’s passage would have a chilling effect on our freedom to connect online. We won’t feel as free to state unpopular opinions, or to speak truth to power, if we know that Big Brother could get a feed of everything we say and do. This is not what the free and open Internet is about. We must tell Congress: Vote NO on CISPA and bury this bill for good.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information! SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network UPDATE! From the Bradley Manning Support Network Update 5/23/13: Coalition challenges Manning trial secrecy in civilian court; Nobel Peace Prize petition Julian Assange and a coalition of U.S. journalists sue military over transparency in Bradley Manning’s case, taking the suit to a civilian court after it was rejected by a military appeals court, and nearly 50,000 have signed a petition supporting Bradley Manning receiving the Nobel Peace Prize...... AND Greg Palast for Vice MagazineBradley Manning & The Deepwater Horizon Bradley Manning tried to save the eleven men who died, burnt alive, on the Deepwater Horizon. But Barack Obama and the New York Times made sure that wouldn't happen.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources.
B R I C K T E E V E E image ©2006 arkysue The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,227 US Military Dead as of May 23, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky.
• Retired Gen. John Allen, former commander of international forces in Afghanistan
• ROUNDTABLE: Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.; DNC Chair Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla.; former Director of National Intelligence Ret. Admiral Dennis Blair; New York Times national security correspondent Mark Mazzetti; ABC News Senior National Correspondent and Fusion White House Correspondent Jim Avila and Politico senior political reporter Maggie Haberman
• Sunday Spotlight: the creators and executive producers of Showtime’s “Homeland” Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK)
• New York Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
• Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin
• Author Joseph Persico
• ROUNDTABLE: Chief Climatologist for Climate Central Dr. Heidi Cullen, TIME Magazine senior editor of science and technology Jeffrey Kluger, David Bernard, who is theChief Meteorologist from WFOR, and Marshall Shepherd, President of the American Meteorological Society.
• ROUNDTABLE II: David Gergen of the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and Michael Gerson of the Washington Post
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Killing Bin Laden - In this Memorial Day Weekend special broadcast, hear the first-hand account of the raid that killed the world's most wanted terrorist from one of the Navy SEALs who pulled the trigger. "Mark Owen," a former SEAL who was in the room when Osama bin Laden died from American bullets, speaks to Scott Pelley in his only interview. "Owen," a pseudonym he uses for security, recalls each step of the mission and the preparation he and the nation's elite force made for it, in order to give credit to his SEAL comrades and the hundreds of others whose work played a role in the historic mission. His riveting account will be in four parts and will be broadcast for the whole hour Sunday, May 26 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Meet the Press will not air Sunday, May 26: NBC Sports to feature 19.5 hours of Monaco coverage, with race live on NBC. For the first time, Formula One’s famed Monaco Grand Prix will air live on network television Sunday, May 26 at 7:30 a.m. ET on NBC.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• Governor Mary Fallin (R-OK)
• Staten Island Congressman Michael Grimm
• Joplin, Missouri Mayor Melodee Colbert-Kean
• House Homeland Security Chairman Michael McCaul (R-TX)
• ROUNDTABLE: CNN Senior Political Analyst Ron Brownstein, The Chicago Tribune’s Clarence Page, and Former House Speaker, Newt Gingrich.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Thorn in the Side Thurdsday!!!!! Pull up a chair and a cold one! Listen NOW HERE - Thursday, May 23, 2013 ! Keep Bob on the air HERE ya hear? Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - May 23, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: House GOP votes again to expedite Keystone XL pipeline; New Energy Secretary Moniz declares climate change science 'not debatable'; Oklahoma tornado the 2nd costliest in U.S. history; New rules for fracking on public lands; PLUS: California teen invents a battery that could charge your cell phone in 20 seconds ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): How Memorial Day gas price hikes enrich oil companies; The truth about the anti-wind movement (tiny, paranoid, disinformed, Koch-funded); Top 10 cities to be screwed by climate change (sorry, Phoenix); CBO: Carbon tax an option to avoid 'catastrophic' outcomes; China to launch carbon emissions market; Print solar panels at home ... PLUS: Crazy Time: Alex Jones explains how "the government" caused deadly Oklahoma tornado ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADCAST UPDATE! KPFK 'BradCast': CO2 Madness, Obama Scandalpalooza On crossing 400ppm C02 milestone w/ Brad Johnson of ForecastTheFacts.org; On Obama's tidal wave of scandals, real and fake; MORE...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Glenn Greenwald Responds to 'Lying' Charge by BRAD BLOG Commenter Constitutional attorney turned Guardian columnist responds to a reader who supports Obama's DoJ crackdown on Fox reporter...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Video Trailer of Film Koch Brothers & PBS Tried to Keep You From Seeing If the Kochs were so pissed about it, it must be worth watching...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC Standard Podcast May 24, 2013 Reporter Jason Leopold Debriefs His Recent Visit to Guantanamo, Comments on Obama’s Policy Changes
• PBC Standard Podcast May 24, 2013 Boiling Frogs: Reporter Joe Lauria on the Spiked Series in “London Times”, Boston Bombing Investigation, Syria and More
• PBC News & Comment May 23, 2013 PBC News & Comment: In Obama’s Big Speech, Any Change We Can Believe In? Obama’s speech today offers some hope for change regarding drones, targeted killing and closing Guantanamo–can we believe in it?
• PBC News & Comment May 24, 2013 PBC News & Comment: Obama Offers New & Improved Vision, Without Leadership In important speech interrupted by Medea Benjamin, Obama delivered some truth, some truthiness, a revised vision but no leadership….
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 7 pm Eastern.
• Author and law professor Michael Avery will be joining us to talk about how the conservatives managed to completely take over our judicial system.
• Author David Neiwert will be joining us to talk about the Minutemen Project.
• Karen Greenberg, director of the Center on National Security at Fordham University, will join us to talk about the realities of Guantanamo Bay.
• And Lori Wallach from Public Citizen will tell us why the Trans Pacific Partnership is a bad deal for America.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Sundays at NOON!
- We’ll be talking with author and Ring of Fire co-host Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. about the climate criminals who are pumping unprecedented amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere.
- We’ll take a look at Obama’s complete descent into corporatism with attorney Howard Nations.
- College graduates are struggling to pay for their student loans, and both the banks and the Obama administration are pulling in billions of dollars off of this struggle. We’ll bring you all the details with radio host David Pakman.
- Attorney Seth Katz will join us to talk about the horrible legacy that Eric Holder will be leaving as Attorney General.
- And big pharma has been using human beings as lab rats for decades, but the true horror of what’s been happening only surfaced recently – investigative journalist Rick Outzen will tell you all about it.
- We’ll be talking with author and Ring of Fire co-host Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. about the climate criminals who are pumping unprecedented amounts of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere.
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 5/20/13 Matthew Rothschild: New Report: Homeland Security A Racket
• TUESDAY 5/21/13 Glenn Greenwald: The Obama Administration's War On Press Freedom
• WEDNESDAY 5/22/13 Apple, Immigration, Corporate Taxes And Press Freedom
• THURSDAY5/23/13 Shocking New Drone Disclosures And Janeane "Katherine Harris" Garofalo
• FRIDAY 5/24/13 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Todd Barry
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead. The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here! • Kim Dotcom has announced that he is the inventor of the so-called two-step authentication system and has a patent to prove it by maxkeiser - READ Kim Dotcom to Google, Twitter, Facebook: I Own Security Patent, Work With Me (torrentfreak.com) • Hey! It’s the video cast of “Truth About Market” with Max and Stacy • The BBC’s Program “Bankers – Fixing The System” by Rowan BosworthDavies - believe that the idea that the financial sector is little more than an organised criminal enterprise run by a group of mafia elites is an idea whose time has come. It is no longer unusual to hear the City of London or Wall Street referred to as criminal enterprises, indeed Professor Jeffrey Sachs, one of America’s leading commentators on financial crime in the suites, in a recent interview - (which you can watch at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovPefDfJDao,) has described Wall Street as engaging in a “…mountain of criminal behaviour…” He identifies that where we used to talk about ‘bubbles or mistakes’, we are now looking at “…criminal fraud operating in an essentially lawless environment…” • KEISER REPORT [KR446] Keiser Report: Whimsical Price Tyranny Stacy Summary: This is a repost. We examine stories about those who, using spoof trades, bogus securities and fictitious capital, steal real wealth and income. They discuss how it is that every benchmark index is rigged and introduce the concept of the ‘bonus benchmark.’ In the second half, Max talks to Dr. Michael Hudson, author of The Bubble and Beyond, about debt and wage deflation and about the intersection of interest rates and wages going back to David Ricardo when wages were measured against the price of bread to today when they are measured against the price of debt. • KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Down is New Up, Up is New Down We examine whether the markets are soaring or crashing but find it impossible to determine as long standing data patterns have broken down. They discuss feeding the ducks while they’re quacking and bitcoin vigilantes fighting the Fed. In the second half, Max talks to Sandeep Jaitly of FeketeResearch.com about the imminent extinction of the price of gold as well as the permanent backwardation in both gold and silver markets. • KEISER REPORT [KR448] Keiser Report: Narcissists’ Rally We have a look at the narcissists’ rally as we drown in central banking their currency wars and their quantitative easing without wealth creation. In the second half, Max talks to Jim Rickards, author of Currency Wars, about why we don’t need to worry about a recession – because we’re in a depression! They discuss US Federal Chairman, Ben Bernanke’s, plan to not Beggar Thy Neighbor, but Enrich They Neighbor by jumping out of the printing plane together with simultaneous devaluations. And, in terms of gold, Keiser and Rickards suggest maybe it’s the Chinese manipulating the price of gold . . . and not the US Federal Reserve • KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Drowning In Central Banking Abyss This is the second part of a two part currency war special focus on George Osborne hoping a rising stock market will convince voters his economic policies are working and the new front in the South Pacific as New Zealand… • ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Greg Hunter An interview with Greg Hunter of USA Watchdog. • THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1277] The Truth About Max Keiser’s Internet Connection The Truth About Credit Defraud Swaps and Incarcerated Trolls. Download show HERE (mp3) • Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday, excluding Thursday, from 12-2 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show 5/14/13 Marcy Wheeler: Blogger Marcy Wheeler discusses the DOJ’s surreptitious collection of Associated Press phone records after two reporters scooped the White House on the foiled "UndieBomb 2.0" plot; the Saudi undercover infiltrator (on the payroll of the British and Saudis) at the center of the alleged AQAP terrorism plot; the Obama administration’s war on (unflattering) leaks and confidential media sources; and the biometric ID proposal in the new immigration bill.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 5/15/13 Ray McGovern: Former CIA analyst Ray McGovern discusses the scores of Guantanamo prisoners being denied the right to “escape” by starving themselves to death; how Obama could close Guantanamo – if he really wanted to; using civil disobedience to effect political change; why Americans remain almost completely ignorant of Israel’s attack on the USS Liberty in 1967; and Mearsheimer and Walt’s incomplete analysis of the Israel lobby.
• SCOTT HORTON July 5, 2012: Scott says goodbye to Antiwar.com. Scott Horton is the former host of Antiwar Radio. Visit his blog Stress. Due to budget cuts Scott lost his gig at AntiWarRadio.com! Whoa! See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL)
• Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
• Former Senator Bob Dole (R-KS)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml