Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
LABOR DAY SPECIAL Most people in the U.S. think Labor Day is just another day off for a three-day weekend, have a cookout and drink lotsa beer, a marker to the end of Summer. But there aren't any parades and ceremonies with deep, ardent speechifying like its bookend of the Summer on Memorial Day. Why is this day not celebrated officially like Memorial Day? Where are the parades and speechifying for workers? We go to The Wiki for some history: In 1882, Matthew Maguire, a machinist, first proposed the holiday while serving as secretary of the CLU (Central Labor Union) of New York. Others argue that it was first proposed by Peter J. McGuire of the American Federation of Labor in May 1882, after witnessing the annual labour festival held in Toronto, Canada. Oregon was the first state to make it a holiday on February 21, 1887. By the time it became a federal holiday in 1894, thirty states officially celebrated Labor Day. Following the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the U.S. military and U.S. Marshals during the Pullman Strike, the United States Congress unanimously voted to approve rush legislation that made Labor Day a national holiday; President Grover Cleveland signed it into law a mere six days after the end of the strike. The September date originally chosen by the CLU of New York and observed by many of the nation's trade unions for the past several years was selected rather than the more widespread International Workers' Day because Cleveland was concerned that observance of the latter would be associated with the nascent Communist, Syndicalist and Anarchist movements that, though distinct from one another, had rallied to commemorate the Haymarket Affair in International Workers' Day. All U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the territories have made it a statutory holiday. Maybe next year all of us can ORGANIZE our communities to have a parade and get some local big-wigs to effuse on the glories Labor has given this country? We might be met by water cannons, pepper spray and "netting" ya think? We won't know until we try, right?
KEYSTONE XL UPDATE: Here's one we missed from last month. Zack Colman at TheHill.com reports State Dept. watchdog launches inquiry into Keystone environmental report The State Department’s internal watchdog has “initiated an inquiry” into whether the contractor Foggy Bottom used for a draft environmental analysis on the proposed Keystone XL pipeline had a conflict of interest. The move is a response to allegations from several outside groups, Doug Welty, a spokesman with the State Department Office of Inspector General, told The Hill on Friday. The development raises the possibility of another redo of the analysis assessing Keystone’s environmental impact. Several green and left-leaning groups have claimed the consultancy State picked to conduct the draft environmental review had financial ties to Keystone builder TransCanada Corp. and the American Petroleum Institute, a Keystone supporter. Bloomberg first reported news of the inquiry. Welty explained that an “inquiry” is more of a fact-finding mission than an investigation, which is reserved for criminal matters. The Canada-to-Texas pipeline is currently under federal review at State. TransCanada needs a cross-border permit to complete the project’s northern leg. IN A RELATED MATTER one of those "green" and "left-leaning" groups Bill McGibbon's 350.org's 350action.org has come up with a BRILLIANT IDEA: NAME HURRICANES AFTER ACTUAL POLITICIANS WHO DENY CLIMATE CHANGE! In order to increase awareness of climate change and its link to extreme storms, 350 ACTION is petitioning the World Meteorological Organization to change their naming system of storms from randomly selected names, such as Katrina and Sandy, to the names of actual policy makers who deny climate change. The campaign, at ClimateNameChange.org, kicks off with a video that brings the proposed naming system to life and features prominent climate deniers like Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH). At the heart of the campaign and the site, is an actual petition to the World Meteorological Organization that visitors are encouraged to sign. When enough signatures are gathered, the petition will be presented to the W.M.O. in hopes that the new naming system could become a reality. YES! BRILLIANT! Go to climatenamechange.org to watch this hilarious video! And make sure you sign their petition too! Then read this super article by Naomi Klein about how in many cases, environmental groups themselves need to divest from fossil fuels Time for Big Green to Go Fossil Free The movement demanding that public interest institutions divest their holdings from fossil fuels is on a serious roll. At last count, there were active divestment campaigns on 305 campuses and in more than 100 US cities and states. The demand has spread to Canada, Australia, the Netherlands and Britain. And though officially launched just six months ago, the movement can already claim some provisional victories: four US colleges have announced their intention to divest their endowments from fossil fuel stocks and bonds, and in late April ten US cities made similar commitments, including San Francisco (Seattle came on board months ago). There are still all kinds of details to work out to toughen up these pledges, but the speed with which this idea has spread makes it clear that there was some serious pent-up demand. ........ Now it turns out that some green groups are literally part owners of the industry causing the crisis they are purportedly trying to solve. And the money the green groups have to play with is serious. The Nature Conservancy, for instance, has $1.4 billion in publicly traded securities, and boasts that its piggybank is “among the 100 largest endowments in the country.” The Wildlife Conservation Society has a $377 million endowment, while the endowment of the World Wildlife Fund-US (WWF-US) is worth $195 million. Let me be absolutely clear: plenty of green groups have managed to avoid this mess. Greenpeace, 350.org, Friends of the Earth, Rainforest Action Network, and a host of smaller organizations like Oil Change International and the Climate Reality Project don’t have endowments and don’t invest in the stock market. They also either don’t take corporate donations or place such onerous restrictions on them that extractive industries are easily ruled out. Some of these groups own a few fossil fuel stocks, but only so that they can make trouble at shareholder meetings. The Natural Resources Defense Council is halfway there. It has a $118 million endowment and, according to its accounting team, for direct investments “we specifically screen out extractive industries, fossil fuels, and other areas of the energy sector.” However, the NRDC continues to hold stocks in mutual funds and other mixed assets that do not screen for fossil fuels. ....... The divestment question is taking these groups off-guard because for decades they were able to make these kinds of deals with polluters and barely raise an eyebrow. But now, it appears, people are fed up with being told that the best way to fight climate change is to change their light bulbs and buy carbon offsets, while leaving the big polluters undisturbed. And they are raring to take the fight directly to the industry most responsible for the climate crisis. Read on for Naomi's list of so-called "green" non-profits that are clearly in bed with the fossil-fuel industry, if not outright greenwashing operations.
As Drone King Bomber-in-Chief contemplates starting yet another war that will murder untold thousands War is a Crime's Inder Comar posts at GlobalResearch.ca Obama DOJ Asks Court to Grant Immunity to George W. Bush For Iraq War In court papers filed today (PDF), the United States Department of Justice requested that George W. Bush, Richard Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Colin Powell, Condoleezza Rice and Paul Wolfowitz be granted procedural immunity in a case alleging that they planned and waged the Iraq War in violation of international law. Plaintiff Sundus Shaker Saleh, an Iraqi single mother and refugee now living in Jordan, filed a complaint in March 2013 in San Francisco federal court alleging that the planning and waging of the war constituted a “crime of aggression” against Iraq, a legal theory that was used by the Nuremberg Tribunal to convict Nazi war criminals after World War II. “The DOJ claims that in planning and waging the Iraq War, ex-President Bush and key members of his Administration were acting within the legitimate scope of their employment and are thus immune from suit,” chief counsel Inder Comar of Comar Law said. The “Westfall Act certification,” submitted pursuant to the Westfall Act of 1988, permits the Attorney General, at his or her discretion, to substitute the United States as the defendant and essentially grant absolute immunity to government employees for actions taken within the scope of their employment. In her lawsuit, Saleh alleges that: Richard Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and Paul Wolfowitz began planning the Iraq War in 1998 through their involvement with the “Project for the New American Century,” a Washington DC non-profit that advocated for the military overthrow of Saddam Hussein. Once they came to power, Saleh alleges that Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz convinced other Bush officials to invade Iraq by using 9/11 as an excuse to mislead and scare the American public into supporting a war..... We remind you of the long list of documented Bush Crime Family war crimes at Bush Officials Charged with War Crimes. So why would Eric Holder's DOJ and Obomber want to sheild these war criminals from prosecution? Hmmmmmmm.
This in from the New Snark Times© courtesy the BTV SoCal Bureau by BTV Correspondent ms_in_la: (corporospeak version HERE) (CBS News) President Barack Obama called his "national security" team together Saturday to talk about his next war on the checklist- in Syria. Director of "National Intelligence" [lying sack of chit] ;D ;D ;D James Clapper led off the three-hour White House meeting with elaborately fabricated tales about the alleged chemical weapons, the disposition of alleged victims, and just what the administration will now do to try to convince the world it is a "near air-tight" case ("near airtight"....anything like "almost pregnant"?) that the Syrian "regime" was behind it. Not the see eye aye. No siree. Not them. Lest we confuse them. Clapper was studiously viewing recordings of Colin Powell at the UN, in preparation for his next performance for the public on the issue of its next of many endless wars. For humanitarian reasons of course. Obama- leader of the most transparent administration evah- ordered a "declassified report" (ie: a roster of lies and false justifications) to be prepared for "public release" (ie to air on all state run media) before any military strike commences. That report, top administration shills tell CBS News, is due to be released in a day .....or two. After his creative writing staff hack it out and try to make it sound halfway credible and not too terribly like the same ole same ole.. (ooh, i hope Ass-ahd doesnt read this CBS report and figure out the timing!) There was no debate at the Saturday meeting that a military response is necessary. --everyone agreed and acknowledged that the strike had in fact been ordered since 1997 PNAC documents and was, ironically, actually running a hair behind schedule. Obama swiftly conjured up all the usual justifications for a military strike, should he order one, (WINK WINK!!!) outside of the United Nations Security Council. He carefully followed all the prominent bullet points in the "When I Attack A Nation Randomly" guidebook that was bequeathed to him by Prez Bush at the first inauguration. And was even overheard ordering Clapper to "Get me Curveball on the phone." The process is well underway, (and has been for decades) and particular emphasis is being placed on alleged violations of the Geneva Convention (bwahahahaha!) and the Chemical Weapons Convention. :o Because that's the really skeery one.
Watch: Kerry says Syria's chemical weapons "should shock the conscience of the world."
Of course we remind the reader this is the very same guy who famously said "And I will count every single vote in the event of a dispute....". And then felt more compelled to go skiing instead. [ . . . ] Nonetheless... The words Kerry used and the feigned dramatic "force" with which he delivered them left little doubt the U.S. will soon strike Syria. Or that John Kerry could ever pass an acting audition. The man doesn't have a truthy bone in his body. Which of course makes him well suited for his present job! "President Obama believes there must be accountability for those who used the world's most heinous weapons against the world's most vulnerable people," he said. Bwahahahahahaha!!!!! This one is too good all on its own. Him being the known protectorate of the vulnerable and downtrodden of the world. Four U.S. Navy warships are already in position in the eastern Mediterranean, ready to launch cruise missiles within hours of receiving the order from Obama. A British submarine is also reported to be in position. But it is underwater and difficult to see..... We really hope, again, Ass-ahd isn't reading this CBS story, and our cover isn't blown!
Watch: Kerry leaves little doubt U.S. will strike Syria, David Martin reports. Who'd a thunk it?? [ . . . ]
For more coverage we go to Alex Lantier at WSWS.org The war drive against Syria Ten years after the US government went to war in Iraq on the basis of lies about nonexistent weapons of mass destruction (WMD), a no less grotesque provocation is being concocted by Paris, London, and Washington to justify a new war of aggression against Syria. The allegations that the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad carried out mass chemical weapons attacks last Wednesday in Ghouta, near Damascus, lack any credibility.
The Assad regime has no motive to carry out such an attack. Until Wednesday, its forces were handily defeating the US-backed opposition militias without using chemical weapons. Due to their lack of popular support and the repeated defeats they have suffered, the opposition is disintegrating into bands of looters and murderers—a state of affairs confirmed by Al Qaeda-linked opposition forces’ declaration that after the Ghouta attack, they will kill any member of Assad’s Alawite faith they capture.
Allegations that Assad used chemical weapons serve only one purpose: to give Washington and its allies a pretext to attack Syria, which they have repeatedly threatened to do if a chemical attack by the regime occurred. If a chemical weapon attack did take place in Ghouta, François Hollande, David Cameron, and Barack Obama know far more about its execution than does Bashar al-Assad. Before any proof of a chemical attack had emerged, and before any investigation had even begun—indeed, in less time than police departments take to issue an indictment in a routine street crime—French and British officials were calling for war with Assad. The day after the alleged attack, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius insisted that “force” was the only appropriate response. Obama administration officials even said that they did not want a UN investigation or the collection of evidence before proceeding with their war plans. They told the New York Times yesterday that, with target lists for US strikes in Syria already circulating at the White House, they were “determined not to be drawn into a protracted debate over gaining access for United Nations investigators, because of doubts that they could now produce credible findings.” The Obama administration’s claims that it is going to war because it is concerned that a “red line” of chemical weapons use has been breached is utterly fraudulent. It does not intend to investigate what occurred in Ghouta. Rather, it wants to obtain a pretext for war that it can present as “credible” to the media, to justify military action that it intends to pursue regardless of whether the Assad regime used any chemical weapons. Paris, London, and Washington are rushing into a war with far-reaching implications. ........ To achieve the objective of removing all impediments to their control over the vast oil reserves of the Middle East, the imperialist powers, led by the United States, would gladly organize the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Syrians, just as they did in Iraq........ As for the imperialist powers’ claims that they are attacking Syria out of a humanitarian urge to protect Syrian civilians, these statements deserve nothing but contempt. ....... Read all of this! And Washington's Blog quips Because the Last “Humanitarian” War Turned Out SO WELL … Iraq, Libya … Syria - Everyone knows that U.S. claims about Iraq turned out to be false, and that Iraq is now a mess. And the Iraq war pretty much destroyed the U.S. economy. America’s last “humanitarian” war – in Libya – didn’t turn out so well either. The U.S. backed Al Qaeda in Libya, and the terrorists have now taken over the country. .........Given that track record, a “humanitarian” war against Syria’s Assad regime may not turn out so well. Indeed, a prominent military strategist who has been consulted by the Pentagon and NATO wrote in The New York Times that the U.S. defeating the Syrian regime would harm our national interests. In reality, this has nothing to do with what’s going on in Syria right now. Regime change in Iraq, Libya and Syria were planned 20 years ago … and the “humanitarian” wars being launched by Obama are nothing but a kinder, gentler face on Bush’s wars. MORE Washington's Blog!
- The U.S. Has Repeatedly Falsely Accused Others of Chemical and Biological Weapons Use
- War Against Syria Would Be The Least Popular War In American History
- World Opinion Opposed to War Against Syria
- Rep. John Lewis, 13-term Democratic congressman from Georgia 50 Years After March on Washington, Tens of Thousands Say Struggle for MLK’s "Dream" Continues Today we spend the hour featuring voices from Saturday’s march, beginning with some of the veteran civil rights leaders who spoke: Reverend Jesse Jackson; Julian Bond, the former chair of the board of the NAACP and one of the founders of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee and a state legislator in Georgia for more than two decades. But first, this is 13-term Georgia Congressmember John Lewis, the only surviving speaker from the 1963 March on Washington.
- Gloria Richardson Civil Rights Pioneer Gloria Richardson, 91, on How Women Were Silenced at 1963 March on Washington Today we are joined by civil rights pioneer Gloria Richardson, the co-founder of the Cambridge Nonviolent Action Committee in Maryland, which fought to desegregate public institutions like schools and hospitals. Richardson, 91, joins us to discuss the 1963 March on Washington and the censorship of women speakers; the Cambridge Movement to desegregate Maryland; her friendship with Malcolm X; and her assessment of President Obama and the civil rights struggle today.
- Phyllis Bennis, a fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies As Strikes on Syria Loom, Is U.S. Ignoring a Diplomatic Track That Could Prevent More Violence?
- Arnie Gundersen, a former nuclear industry executive In Victory for Activists, Entergy to Close Vermont Yankee Nuclear Plant; Will More Follow?
- MORE Arnie Gundersen As Fukushima Raises Severity Level, Nuclear Expert Warns Radioactive Leaks Will Only "Get Worse"
- Richard Kaplan, associate producer of the incredible three-hour documentary "King: A Filmed Record...Montgomery to Memphis" 50 Years After March on Washington, 1970 Documentary "King: A Filmed Record" Captures MLK’s Journey
- Tariq Ali,British-Pakistani political commentator & Steven Clemons, Washington editor-at-large for The Atlantic Syria Debate: Does U.S. Have the Evidence and Authority to Hit Assad for Alleged Chemical Attack?
- Historian Taylor Branch Historian Taylor Branch on the March on Washington and the Kennedys’ Aversion to Dr. King’s Struggle
- Juan Gonzalez, Democracy Now! co-host and New York Daily News columnist Juan González: Growing Charter School Chain Suspends Special Needs Kids in Bid to Raise Test Scores
- Bassam Haddad, director of the Middle East Studies Program at George Mason University U.S. Prepares to Strike Syria Over Alleged Chemical Weapons as British Vote Not to Back Int’l Action
- Bill Littlefield, host of NPR’s Only a Game NFL Reaches Settlement with Former Players Who Suffer from Brain Injuries, Alzheimer’s, Depression
- Martin Lee, longtime investigative reporter and author Feds Say They Won’t Try to Reverse State Laws That Legalize Medical and Recreational Marijuana Use
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW Same Old Labor Day; Very Different Face of Labor Saket Soni, Director of the National Guestworker Alliance and the New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice says that the face of labor is different from what it was in our parents’ and grandparents’ day. more.....
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NASCAR on ESPN With only two more races before The Chase it's the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series at Atlanta pres. by Pennzoil from Atlanta Motor Speedway! Coverage begins at 7:30 pm et »»» SUNDAY BASEBALL on TBS Orioles @ Yankees 1:05 pm et »»» SUNDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN2 Mets @ Nationals 8 pm et »»» WEDNESDAY NIGHT BASEBALL on ESPN Tigers @ Red Sox 7 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Meet the New CISPA. Same as the Old CISPA. Last year, thanks to a public outcry, the effort to pass overreaching cybersecurity legislation stalled in the Senate. Now supporters have reintroduced the House version of that legislation — the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA). The “new” version is in fact identical to the original CISPA — and poses the same threat to our digital civil liberties. If CISPA becomes law, it will be a major blow to our online privacy. But more than that, CISPA’s passage would have a chilling effect on our freedom to connect online. We won’t feel as free to state unpopular opinions, or to speak truth to power, if we know that Big Brother could get a feed of everything we say and do. This is not what the free and open Internet is about. We must tell Congress: Vote NO on CISPA and bury this bill for good.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network UPDATE! From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the Private Manning Support Network! August 26, 2013, By attorney David Coombs and the Private Manning Support Network (formerly the Bradley Manning Support Network). Additional clarification on PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's request regarding her gender and name. With your continued support, our network will continue its advocacy efforts in support our heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower through this new phase of her life. ....... AND Update 8/29/13: Update from David Coombs, Leavenworth indoctrination underway PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning is currently going through the indoctrination process at Fort Leavenworth. "Yesterday was my first opportunity to speak with Chelsea since her sentencing..."
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. - - - "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
B R I C K T E E V E E The essential guide for watching government propaganda! THEY report. YOU throw bricks.© Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE! IRAQ: 4,486 US Military Dead as of April 21, 2012 AFGHANISTAN: 2,269 US Military Dead as of Aug 30, 2013 The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises MOCKINGBIRD: The Subversion Of The Free Press By The CIA Who Owns The Media? The 6 Monolithic Corporations That Control Almost Everything We Watch, Hear And Read
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• Secretary of State John Kerry
• FOREIGN POLICY ROUNDTABLE: ABC News Chief Foreign Correspondent Terry Moran and ABC News Global Affairs Anchor Christiane Amanpour overseas, plus ABC News Chief Global Affairs Correspondent Martha Raddatz, former Joint Chiefs of Staff Vice Chair Gen. James Cartwright USMC (Ret.), and Dean of the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies Vali Nasr.
• ROUNDTABLE: olitical strategists James Carville and Mary Matalin, Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan, and television and radio host Tavis Smiley.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Secretary of State John Kerry
• Sen. John McCain R-AZ
• Senator Tim Kaine (D-Va.)
Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.)
• ROUNDTABLE: foreign policy panel
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• Costa Concordia - When the 951-foot-long luxury liner hit a rock off the Italian coast, it was the biggest passenger ship ever to capsize. Now, the salvage operation to float and tow away the huge vessel is the biggest maritime salvage operation ever undertaken. Lesley Stahl reports. Richard Bonin and Sabina Castelfranco are the producers.
• Teacher to the World - On his educational website, "Khan Academy," he teaches millions of students across the world each month. Sal Khan's teaching method has become so effective that he may be the future of American education. Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports. Denise Schrier Cetta is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Secretary of State John Kerry
• Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY)
• ROUNDTABLE: Editor of the Weekly Standard, Bill Kristol; co-anchor and managing editor of “The PBS Newshour,” Gwen Ifill, who interviewed President Obama this week; Former White House Press Secretary, Robert Gibbs; and anchor for BBC World News America, Katty Kay.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines.
• Secretary of State John Kerry
• Democratic Congressman Eliot Engel and Republican Congressman Scott Rigell
• Republican Congressman Scott Rigell
• Senator Chris Murphy
• ROUNDTABLE: Donna Brazil, David Frum, Cornel Belcher and Ross Douthat
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Front Porch Friday!!!!! Bob wraps up the week! Listen NOW HERE - Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 (mp3)! Keep Bob on the air HERE ya hear? Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - August 29, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Keystone XL pipeline decision delayed until 2014?; MSNBC's climate change documentary goes missing; Salmon vs. mining: Will EPA approve Alaska's massive Pebble Mine?; Kansas farmers to run out of water within 50 years; A key finding in the plateau of rising temperatures; PLUS: A new parody ad takes aim at electric utility monopolies ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Glenn Beck threatens to fire staff who buy energy efficient lightbulbs; 8 years after Katrina, New Orleans is a monument of hope and future climate threats; Vanishing ocean smell could also mean fewer clouds; Issues surrounding GMO 'Golden Rice'; Climate change overwhelming Detroit's sewage system; GMO corn failing to protect crop from pests; US nukes not prepared for terrorist attacks ... PLUS: MLK legacy: It’s time for civil rights and environmental activists to join hands... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - August 27, 2013 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Yosemite Rim Fire threatens San Francisco's water & electricity; Extreme weather around the world from China to Australia; New civil rights issue emerges at 50th anniv. of March on Washington; Vermont nuclear plant to close!; Fox 'News'' amazing new 'news' source! PLUS: 'Hurricane Marco Rubio'? A call to name hurricanes after climate change deniers ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Redacted Spy Court Docs Underscore Overclassification A BRAD BLOG investigation of U.S. secrecy state finds privacy experts, NatSec vets, journos all conclude some redactions in release of secret FISA Court decision meant to protect government, not national security...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! So, NOW We Care About War Crimes? U.S. releases intel assessment citing Syrian chemical weapons attack, Obama calls for 'limited narrow' intervention to draw line against war crimes. But there's an easier way...
• BRADCAST! KPFK 'BradCast': The 50th Anniversary Message Cites absentee fraud as reason for state's discriminatory polling place Photo ID law...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• PBC News & Comment Aug 28, 2013 PBC News & Comment: On 50th Anniversary of MLK’s “Dream” Speech, Racism is Alive and Well in America We open with Dion’s “Abraham, Martin and John” and PBC’s comments on institutional and casual racism in the US today…..
• PBC News & Comment Aug 30, 2013 PBC News & Comment: Probable US Attack on Syria Looms as Skeptics Are Ignored, Again! Obama and Kerry offer more assertions with glaring lack of proof, as unilateral assault appears imminent, enabled by spineless media….
• PBC Standard Podcast Aug 29, 2013 Re-Think 9/11: Richard Gage and Pam Senzee on Building 7 and Need for New Investigation
• PBC Standard Podcast Aug 30, 2013 Dr. Justin Frank Puts Obama on the Couch About Syria; Allan Sheahan Explains the Basic Income Guarantee; Durst on Labor Day
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! Aug 31, 2013 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 7 pm Eastern.
• Author and law professor Michael Avery will be joining us to talk about how the conservatives managed to completely take over our judicial system.
• Author David Neiwert will be joining us to talk about the Minutemen Project.
• Karen Greenberg, director of the Center on National Security at Fordham University, will join us to talk about the realities of Guantanamo Bay.
• And Lori Wallach from Public Citizen will tell us why the Trans Pacific Partnership is a bad deal for America.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Aug 24, 2013 Sundays at NOON!
»» “Big Pharma’s War on Women.” Linda Lipsen, CEO of the American Association for Justice talks about big Pharma’s penchant for harming female consumers.
»» “Labor Unions Help Save Lives.” Attorneys Mike Burg and Howard Nations talk about recent workplace atrocities around the globe, and how unions could have saved workers’ lives.
»» “Cash Hoarders Devastate Economy.” Richard Eskow, host of The Breakdown and senior fellow at the Campaign for America’s Future, talks about the top 1% hoarding trillions in cash, and how this affects the income gap in America.
»» “Your Mortgage Documents Are Fake!” Investigative journalist David Dayen talks about mortgage companies falsifying documents to illegally foreclose on homeowners.
»» “Senior Citizens At Risk.” Attorney Charles Meltmar talks about the rise in cases of nursing home abuse.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at email@example.com if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.”
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Are We Being Misled Into Another War? (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio and author/columnist David Sirota discuss the possible upcoming Syrian conflict, and how it will affect the American people.
• VIDEO! Papantonio: Contractors Vying For A War (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Mike Papantonio and Richard Eskow from the Campaign For America’s Future discuss the economic consequences of the looming Syrian conflict.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Aug 31, 2013 featuring the top stories from Ring of Fire from the past week.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 8/26/13 Ruy Teixeira: Raise The Minimum Wage Now!
• TUESDAY 8/27/13 Free Barrett Brown & Jeremy Hammond Event
• THURSDAY 8/29/13 Sarah Jaffe: Fast Food Workers Strike & Sam Attacks a Plutocrat Plus Thomas Frank
• FRIDAY 8/30/13 NSA Whistle-blower Thomas Drake, DOJ Whistle-blower Jesselyn Radack & Tim Shorrock
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• The Federal Reserve 100th Anniversary Road Show Spectacular! by alexschaefer - Paint Provocateur Alex Schaefer wants to say “Happy Birthday, Federal Reserve!’ You made it to 100 years of conducting the nation’s monetary policy! Since mainstream media didn’t send a card, a painter, a protestor, a filmmaker, a freedom fighter and a mad crew are going on a road trip across the USA to visit all twelve of your branches to help you celebrate! Come rain or monkey shines, they are on a mission to throw the birthday party nightmares are made of. A party to highlight the historic END of the original 100 year charter the Federal Reserve Bank has with the U.S. Government December 23rd, 2013! CLICK HERE FOR THE CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN & HELP GET THE SHOW ON THE ROAD! Lots of great donation perks, all original works of art by Alex Schaefer and Cain Motter! This is a great way to collect some art AND help fund this amazing journey and film. It’s a win-win situation! Let’s some history and shake things up around here!
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• As we’ve been predicting for years: NSA Using Copyright Claims To Crush Free Speech by Stacy Herbert - The NSA is effectively stopping one small business owner from criticism, claiming that by using its name he has infringed on their copyright. (infowars.com)
• VIDEO! George Galloway impassioned speech against bombing Syria by Stacy Herbert
• KEISER REPORT http://www.maxkeiser.com/2013/08/kr488-keiser-report-dutch-blues-bubble-markets/ We discuss the Dutch blues and the pay per gaze advertising coming to a pair of glasses near you. Max proposes a scheme of mortgages collateralized by food stamps. In the second half, Max talks to Ann Pettifor of PrimeEconomics.org about the Alice in Wongaland economy in the United Kingdom where people borrow from payday lenders in order to live and, instead of lending to the economy, the economy is lending to banks. They also discuss interest rate apartheid, carry trades and public unrest.
• KEISER REPORT [KR489] Keiser Report: The Killing of Tony Blair (ft. George Galloway) We discuss the U.S. regulator’s case against JP Morgan for violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, known in polite circles as ‘client hires.’ In the second half, Max talks to George Galloway, a Member of Parliament, about the film, The Killing of Tony Blair, that he is crowdfunding on Kickstarter. The film explores the financial killing the former prime minister has made on the mass killings in the various wars he started across the Middle East.
• KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Sinkhole of Stupid We discuss the sinkholes of stupid causing collapse wherever they occur and, how in Texas, they are totally fracked as the sinkhole of stupid has caused water shortagesl. In the second half, Max talks to Chris Martenson of PeakProsperity.com about the four signs of dangerous bubble territory, the markets oblivious to the costs of Fukushima meltdown and the bad economics of fracking.
• KEISER REPORT [KR491] Keiser Report: Debt Zombie Students We discuss the potholes in the economy causing young people to go deeply into debt for education, property and retirement. In the second half, Max talks to Iona Bain of youngmoneyblog.co.uk about students debts in the UK and the merits of raising interest rates in order to encourage savings.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1286] The Truth About Markets – 27 July 2013 Stacy Summary: Forgot to post this yesterday! In this episode, the conversation is quite wide ranging. We ruminate a bit on the great aluminum vs aluminium debate. We talk about Business Secretary, Vince Cable, accusing the Bank of England of being ‘capital Taliban.’ We also discuss the latest in hacking cars. Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday, excluding Thursday, from 12-2 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show 8/29/13 Joe Lauria: Independent political journalist Joe Lauria discusses the United Nations’ surprising interference with the US/UK push for military strikes in Syria; shades of pre-war Iraq as UN ambassador Samantha Power insists weapons inspectors aren’t needed to investigate the Damascus chemical attack after all; and why the White House seeks only “to attack just strongly enough not to be mocked.”
• Scott Horton Radio Show 8/30/13 Pepe Escobar: Globetrotting Asia Times journalist Pepe Escobar discusses his recent article “‘War on chemical weapons’: Obama traps himself into Syrian combat;” Secretary of State John Kerry’s “Colin Powell moment;” the folly of Obama’s “red line” on chemical weapon use in Syria; why incompetent National Security Advisor Susan Rice should have been fired long ago; and why Saudi Prince “Bandar Bush” may be responsible for supplying Syria’s rebels with chemical weapons.
• SCOTT HORTON July 5, 2012: Scott says goodbye to Antiwar.com. Scott Horton is the former host of Antiwar Radio. Visit his blog Stress. Due to budget cuts Scott lost his gig at AntiWarRadio.com! Whoa! See ScottHortonShow.com for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry
• ROUNDTABLE: Gen Jack Keane, Retired four-star General/FOX News Military Analyst; Joe Lieberman, Former U.S. Senator (I-CT); Jennifer Rubin, Columnist for The Washington Post, writes “The Right Turn” blog; Charles Lane, Editorial Writer for The Washington Post
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml