Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Neoliberal Update We begin with U.S. Supreme Court Uses California Case to Expand Warrantless Searches From now on, when two occupants disagree over letting police enter their home without a warrant, the cops can haul the obstinate one to jail and go on in. The U.S. Supreme Court voted 6-3 to narrow Fourth Amendment prohibitions against unreasonable search and seizure by focusing on the presence of someone asserting that right. The ruling (pdf) was a victory for law enforcement agencies. A 2006 high court, in a 5-3 decision, had made it clear that refusal by either party trumped the other’s permission. This decision essentially reverses that if the police lend a hand. The ruling grew out of a California case. Los Angeles resident and robbery suspect Walter Fernandez cited his constitutional rights and refused to let the officers enter his home. Roxanne Rojas, his bloodied girlfriend holding a 2-month-old baby, said okay. The police took Fernandez away in cuffs, entered the home and found a sawed-off shotgun, a knife, ammunition and gang paraphernalia. He pleaded no contest to weapons charges and was convicted by a jury of armed robbery and inflicting corporal injury. Prosecutors argued that although they had time to get a warrant from a judge, they didn’t need one. The judge gave Fernandez a 14-year prison sentence. ...... Justice Samuel Alito, writing for the majority, focused on Rojas. Alito mentioned Rojas 24 times in his opinion. Fernandez got zero shoutouts. ........ Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonya Sotomayor and Elena Kagan dissented. Citing the court’s history in Fourth Amendment cases, Ginsburg wrote for the minority, “Instead of adhering to the warrant requirement, today’s decision tells the police they may dodge it, never mind ample time to secure the approval of a neutral magistrate.”
Ever notice over the years how trolls seem to appear on the boards and chat rooms you may visit and the entire discussion is hijacked by the trolls? Reference Washington's Blog Is Government Just Spying Like a Giant Peeping Tom … Or Is It Actively USING that Information in Mischievous Ways? from August 2013 that cites The Guardian in 2011 The US military is developing software that will let it secretly manipulate social media sites by using fake online personas to influence internet conversations and spread pro-American propaganda.........The Centcom contract stipulates that each fake online persona must have a convincing background, history and supporting details, and that up to 50 US-based controllers should be able to operate false identities from their workstations “without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries”........It also calls for “traffic mixing”, blending the persona controllers’ internet usage with the usage of people outside Centcom in a manner that must offer “excellent cover and powerful deniability”. And they go on to mention So if it seems like there are disruptors everywhere on the Internet defending the “official” view … you might not be imagining it. Non-mainstream liberal and conservative websites have both been complaining for years that trolls are defending mainstream government policies. Even Thom Hartmann wrote in 2011 at OpEdNews.com Caught? Fake conservative identities re-writing the web? Well it's not coincidence or happenstance. Now we have DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE. The Intercept's Glenn Greenwald explains How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations One of the many pressing stories that remains to be told from the Snowden archive is how western intelligence agencies are attempting to manipulate and control online discourse with extreme tactics of deception and reputation-destruction. It’s time to tell a chunk of that story, complete with the relevant documents. Over the last several weeks, I worked with NBC News to publish a series of articles about “dirty trick” tactics used by GCHQ’s previously secret unit, JTRIG (Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group). These were based on four classified GCHQ documents presented to the NSA and the other three partners in the English-speaking “Five Eyes” alliance. Today, we at the Intercept are publishing another new JTRIG document, in full, entitled “The Art of Deception: Training for Online Covert Operations.” By publishing these stories one by one, our NBC reporting highlighted some of the key, discrete revelations: the monitoring of YouTube and Blogger, the targeting of Anonymous with the very same DDoS attacks they accuse “hacktivists” of using, the use of “honey traps” (luring people into compromising situations using sex) and destructive viruses. But, here, I want to focus and elaborate on the overarching point revealed by all of these documents: namely, that these agencies are attempting to control, infiltrate, manipulate, and warp online discourse, and in doing so, are compromising the integrity of the internet itself. Among the core self-identified purposes of JTRIG are two tactics: (1) to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets; and (2) to use social sciences and other techniques to manipulate online discourse and activism to generate outcomes it considers desirable. To see how extremist these programs are, just consider the tactics they boast of using to achieve those ends: “false flag operations” (posting material to the internet and falsely attributing it to someone else), fake victim blog posts (pretending to be a victim of the individual whose reputation they want to destroy), and posting “negative information” on various forums. Here is one illustrative list of tactics from the latest GCHQ document we’re publishing today: .......... Critically, the “targets” for this deceit and reputation-destruction extend far beyond the customary roster of normal spycraft: hostile nations and their leaders, military agencies, and intelligence services. In fact, the discussion of many of these techniques occurs in the context of using them in lieu of “traditional law enforcement” against people suspected (but not charged or convicted) of ordinary crimes or, more broadly still, “hacktivism”, meaning those who use online protest activity for political ends. ........... The broader point is that, far beyond hacktivists, these surveillance agencies have vested themselves with the power to deliberately ruin people’s reputations and disrupt their online political activity even though they’ve been charged with no crimes, and even though their actions have no conceivable connection to terrorism or even national security threats. ............. Government plans to monitor and influence internet communications, and covertly infiltrate online communities in order to sow dissension and disseminate false information, have long been the source of speculation. Harvard Law Professor Cass Sunstein, a close Obama adviser and the White House’s former head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, wrote a controversial paper in 2008 proposing that the US government employ teams of covert agents and pseudo-”independent” advocates to “cognitively infiltrate” online groups and websites, as well as other activist groups. Sunstein also proposed sending covert agents into “chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups” which spread what he views as false and damaging “conspiracy theories” about the government. Ironically, the very same Sunstein was recently named by Obama to serve as a member of the NSA review panel created by the White House, one that – while disputing key NSA claims – proceeded to propose many cosmetic reforms to the agency’s powers (most of which were ignored by the President who appointed them).
But these GCHQ documents are the first to prove that a major western government is using some of the most controversial techniques to disseminate deception online and harm the reputations of targets. Under the tactics they use, the state is deliberately spreading lies on the internet about whichever individuals it targets, including the use of what GCHQ itself calls “false flag operations” and emails to people’s families and friends. .......... Click over for the fantastic slide show pix contained in these docs! And so after Obomber stated his PSYOPS team would stop monitoring Angela Merkel's phone conversations now comes Sonntag Am Bild reporting U.S. now bugging German ministers in place of Merkel: report Via Reuters The National Security Agency (NSA) has stepped up its surveillance of senior German government officials since being ordered by Barack Obama to halt its spying on Chancellor Angela Merkel, Bild am Sonntag paper reported on Sunday. Revelations last year about mass U.S. surveillance in Germany, in particular of Merkel's mobile phone, shocked Germans and sparked the most serious dispute between the transatlantic allies in a decade. Bild am Sonntag said its information stemmed from a high-ranking NSA employee in Germany and that those being spied on included Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere, a close confidant of Merkel. "We have had the order not to miss out on any information now that we are no longer able to monitor the chancellor's communication directly," it quoted the NSA employee as saying. A spokesman for the German Interior Ministry said it would not comment on the "allegations of unnamed individuals". ........... Bild am Sonntag quoted a security adviser to Obama, Caitlin Hayden, as saying: "The United States has made clear it gathers intelligence in exactly the same way as any other states." The mass-circulation paper said the NSA was monitoring 320 people in Germany - mostly politicians but also business leaders. Hayden said Washington did not spy on corporations in order to help U.S. firms gain competitive advantage. ...... VoiceOfRussia.com chimes in with NSA still spying on hundreds of Germany's political and economic elite Far from giving up on its habit, the US National Security Agency is reportedly still wiretapping some 320 prominent German economists and politicians. .............. The NSA agent confirmed in an interview with the Bild am Sonntag that Merkel’s name had indeed been wiped off the to-spy-on list, but added the agency had been since spying even more on her inner circle. Thomas de Maizière stands out as one of the most important NSA targets in Germany. He ran the country’s Defense Ministry till December 2013 and is billed as Merkel’s closest ally who frequently gives her advice on the most vital home issues. According to the NSA source, the agency was surprised at how important de Maizière’s opinion was to the Chancellor. He said another reason why they chose to spy on the minister was his previous reputation as a likely NATO Secretary General. “We wanted to know if he would make a reliable partner,” the US agent told the Bild am Sonntag. The German newspaper also claims that de Maizière is just one of the country’s politicians who is being wiretapped by the NSA, with the total number of targets reaching some 320 upper-crust politicians and economists. Merkel suggests creating anti-American communications network - German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called for creating a European communications network. The goal is to help improve data protection and curb mass surveillance conducted by the US National Security Agency and its British counterpart GCHQ. Merkel announced the project in her weekly podcast, saying that the communication network will help avoid emails and other data automatically passing through the United States. ........ Merkel proposes to create European communication network that circumvents US ...... This on the heels of South American countries plan to prevent US spying ..... The 12-member Union of South American Nations (Unasur) are taking steps to build a digital communications platform which is designed, administered and used only by Unasur nations, Xinhua quoted Manuel Fernandez, Venezuelan minister of science, technology and innovation, as saying. The plan also includes other measures to prevent US spying, such as the establishment of local servers, an exclusive e-mail service and social networking systems. "We are taking the steps, we consider pertinent from a political, human and legal point of view," said Fernandez on Thursday. "These countries doing espionage should have the ethical attitude of respecting the private communications of other countries." Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has voiced support for the anti-spying resolution submitted jointly by Brazil and Germany to the UN, calling for mechanisms to guarantee privacy rights and greater accountability and transparency of state intelligence agencies. Unasur, established in 2004, is composed of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela. .........
At wsws.org Bill Van Auken provides this update Death toll rises to 14 in Venezuelan protests With Venezuela’s right-wing protests now ending their second week, at least 14 people have been reported killed, hundreds wounded and scores arrested. Clashes are continuing in Caracas, where barricades of debris and tires have blocked traffic in the capital’s business district and wealthier eastern neighborhoods, the center of the movement demanding la salida (the exit) of President Nicolas Maduro, who won a narrow election victory last April. The Maduro government has denounced the continuing protests as a US-backed coup. There is no disputing that the principal leaders of the protest movement—the Harvard-educated Leopoldo Lopez, the leader of Voluntad Popular (Popular Will), and Maria Corina Machado, a member of the National Assembly—have been amply funded by the US National Endowment for Democracy for years and have coordinated their policies closely with the US Embassy. However, as of yet, there is no indication that the military is moving against the government, and the numbers that have taken to the streets are far less than those mobilized by the political right in the run-up to the abortive US-backed coup that briefly toppled Maduro’s predecessor and mentor, the late Hugo Chavez, in April 2002. Nonetheless, the political crisis generated by the protests has led to open divisions within the ruling PSUV (United Socialist Party of Venezuela) and to an evident flailing about by the Venezuelan president. ................ The Tachira governor is an ex-military officer who participated in the failed coup carried out by Hugo Chavez and other nationalist military officers in 1992 and subsequently held a number of senior posts in the Chavez government. Maduro himself has alternated between denouncing his right-wing opponents as “fascists” and condemning Washington for imperialist intervention in support of a coup, and calling for dialogue with both. He also called for the formation of a “truth commission” by the National Assembly and the convening on Wednesday of a “National Peace Conference.” These overtures, at least in the first instance, have been rudely rebuffed by both the Venezuelan rightists and their patrons in Washington. Miranda governor and twice-defeated rightist presidential candidate Henrique Capriles, who was invited to participate in a “dialogue” during a meeting with governors and mayors at the Miraflores presidential palace Monday, refused to attend the meeting, declaring that he would not “whitewash” the Maduro government, claiming that he had been threatened with the loss of federal funds for his state if he failed to appear. This charge was denied by the government, which pointed out there was no change in funding for Miranda and that Capriles was the only Venezuelan governor not to attend. Competing with the imprisoned Lopez for leadership of the Venezuelan right, Capriles exploited the opening to deliver a long demagogic statement declaring he could not attend “while they are repressing and attacking Venezuelans.” As for Washington, the White House dismissed Maduro’s offer last Friday to renew “dialogue” with the US. Maduro proposed that the US send Secretary of State John Kerry and that he would dispatch Venezuelan Foreign Minister Elias Jaua to engage in talks. .................... The danger posed by the present developments is that the demonstrations will only push the Maduro government further to the right. The call for “dialogue” with the right is not new. The government had entered into talks with Capriles and other right-wing politicians before the protests and had reached common agreement on economic adjustment policies that would have seen the lifting of gasoline subsidies and increased rates on transportation, electricity and other services. The bitter divide between the right and the Maduro government notwithstanding, the fact remains that, after 15 years of so-called “Bolivarian Socialism,” Venezuela remains a capitalist country in which 71 percent of production and the lion’s share of oil revenues remain in private hands. Its financial sector is among the most profitable on the planet, with bankers raking in unprecedented returns even as the living standards of the working class fall and the economic growth rate declines. The defense of social conditions and basic rights of the masses of the population against the threat of a genuine coup is possible only by means of the political mobilization of the Venezuelan working class, independent of the bourgeois nationalist PSUV and the Maduro government, in the struggle for socialism.
Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers at Truth-Out provide this News Analysis (via Alternet.org - truth-out.org link broken) Venezuela's Deep Political Education Means Venezuelans Will Withstand Right-Wing Protests Americans might be fooled by mass media misinformation, but Venezuelans know what is really happening in their country. The misinformation in most of the media about the protests in Venezuela is really astounding. Often the opposite of reality is repeated as if it were true. Americans who rely on the corporate mass media, politicians and corrupted non-profits might fall for these tales, but the Venezuelans know what is really happening. Venezuelans have gone through fourteen years of abuse and lies, including a coup attempt. They know what is really occurring in their economy and political system and are aware that their government is in a battle with the power of money both internally as well as with the US Empire. In every election since 2002 Venezuelans have shown that their deep political education, participatory democracy and experience will overcome the falsehoods of the opposition. The violent actions of the opposition and intentional undermining of the economy are signs of an oligarch class that has lost power and is desperate. It must work outside of democracy to try to re-take control of the government. Maria Paez Victor told us that the opposition will fail because they have no political base outside of the wealthy class. She writes:
- “These violent tactics have no hope of succeeding because, unlike 1999, the Venezuelan people are now organized into many groups: the communal councils, the communes, the thousands of health, security, militia, sports, educational, cultural committees. The Bolivarian Revolution has fostered, not a mass of people, but an organized organic population that makes decisions about its living conditions along with its government because Venezuela is now a fully functioning participatory democracy.”
Much to the consternation of the "Washington Concensus" and the neocons who instigated the Iraq War Reuters runs this Exclusive: Iraq signs deal to buy arms, ammunition from Iran - documents Iran has signed a deal to sell Iraq arms and ammunition worth $195 million, according to documents seen by Reuters - a move that would break a U.N. embargo on weapons sales by Tehran. The agreement was reached at the end of November, the documents showed, just weeks after Iraq's Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki returned from lobbying the Obama administration in Washington for extra weapons to fight al Qaeda-linked militants. Some in Washington are nervous about providing sensitive U.S. military equipment to a country they worry is becoming too close to Iran. Several Iraqi lawmakers said Maliki had made the deal because he was fed up with delays in U.S. arms deliveries. A spokesman for the Iraqi prime minister would not confirm or deny the sale, but said such a deal would be understandable given Iraq's current security troubles. "We are launching a war against terrorism and we want to win this war. Nothing prevents us from buying arms and ammunition from any party and it's only ammunition helping us to fight terrorists," said the spokesman, Ali Mussawi. The Iranian government denied any knowledge of a deal to sell arms to Iraq. It would be the first official arms deal between Shi'ite Iran and Iraq's Shi'ite-led government and would highlight the growing bond between them in the two years since the departure of U.S. troops from Iraq. ................... The official documents seen by Reuters showed that six of eight contracts were signed with Iran's Defense Industries Organization to supply Iraq with light and medium arms, mortar launchers, ammunition for tanks as well as artillery and mortars. A final two contracts were agreed to with the state-owned Iran Electronic Industries for night vision goggles, communications equipment and mortar-guiding devices. One of the contracts includes equipment to protect against chemical agents. An Iraqi army major with knowledge of procurement issues said that would include items such as gas masks and gloves, as well as injections. Baghdad has expressed fear the militants will use such agents against its forces. Officials from the Iraqi and Iranian defense ministries signed the agreements, according to the documents. They did not list a timetable for deliveries and it was not possible to confirm whether they had taken place. Maliki has been engaged in a nearly two-month-old battle in western Iraq against Sunni al Qaeda-inspired militants and rebellious tribesmen. The prime minister has blamed the unrest in Anbar on the conflict spilling over from neighboring Syria. One Western security official said U.S. government experts believed an Iranian-Iraqi arms deal had been in the works for some time. .......... Three Iraqi lawmakers, who said they had knowledge of the deals, argued they were due to Maliki's unhappiness with Washington's response to his request to supply Iraq with arms and ammunition to fight militant groups during his visit late last year. Iraq has long complained the timetable for U.S. weapons and aircraft delivery was too slow. "The Americans were obviously dragging their feet from implementing the arms deals signed with Baghdad and under different pretexts, and that was a reason to get urgent shipments from Tehran," said one of the lawmakers, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the subject. ........... Much much more! Go read! So much for neocon war criminal Donald Rumsfeld's claim "It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months" when in fact Newly-Released Memo by Donald Rumsfeld Proves Iraq War Started On False Pretenses
POLK AWARDS! Snowden reporters awarded The Polk Awards! NSA Reporters Awarded Polk Journalism Honor at TruthDig.com The prestigious 2013 George Polk Awards in Journalism have recognized the three journalists who with The Guardian broke the National Security Agency revelations from Edward Snowden. Read more here.
Truth-Out.org has this feature by Dahr Jamail | The March of Anthropogenic Climate Disruption Last year marked the 37th consecutive year of above-average global temperature, according to data from NASA. The signs of advanced Anthropogenic Climate Disruption (ACD) are all around us, becoming ever more visible by the day. At least for those choosing to pay attention. An Abundance of Signs - While the causes of most of these signs cannot be solely attributed to ACD, the correlation of the increasing intensity and frequency of events to ACD is unmistakable. Let's take a closer look at a random sampling of some of the more recent signs. Sao Paulo, South America's largest city (over 12 million people), will see its biggest water-supply system run dry soon if there is no rain. Concurry, a town in Australia's outback, is so dry after two rainless years that their mayor is now looking at permanent evacuation as a final possibility. Record temperatures in Australia have been so intense that in January, around 100,000 bats literally fell from the sky during an extreme heat wave. A now-chronic drought in California, which is also one of the most important agricultural regions in the United States, has reached a new level of severity never before recorded on the US drought monitor in the state. .......... During a recent interview, a climate change scientist, while discussing ACD-induced drought plaguing the US Southwest, said that he had now become hesitant to use the word drought, because "the word drought implies that there is an ending." As if things aren't already severe enough, the new report Hydraulic Fracturing and Water Stress: Water Demand by the Numbers shows that much of the oil and gas fracking activity in both the United States and Canada is happening in "arid, water stressed regions, creating significant long-term water sourcing risks" that will strongly and negatively impact the local ecosystem, communities and people living nearby. The president of the organization that produced this report said, "Hydraulic fracturing is increasing competitive pressures for water in some of the country's most water-stressed and drought-ridden regions. Barring stiffer water-use regulations and improved on-the-ground practices, the industry's water needs in many regions are on a collision course with other water users, especially agriculture and municipal water use." ................. Another recent study published in The Cryosphere shows that Alaska's Arctic icy lakes are losing their thickness and fewer are freezing all the way through to the bottom during winter. This should not come as a surprise, given that the reflective capacity of Arctic sea ice has is disappearing at twice the rate previously shown. ............. As ACD progresses, weather patterns come to resemble a heart-rate chart for a heart in defibrillation. Hence, rather than uniform increases in drought or temperatures, we are experiencing haphazard chaotic extreme weather events all over the planet, and the only pattern we might safely assume to continue is an intensification of these events, in both strength and frequency. .............. More bad news comes from a recently published study showing that Earth's vegetation could be saturated with carbon by the end of this century, and would thus cease acting as a break on ACD. However, this study could be an under-estimate of the phenomenon, as it is based on a predicted 4C rise in global temperature by 2100, and other studies and modeling predict a 4C temperature increase far sooner. (The Hadley Centre for Meteorological Research suggests a 4C temperature increase by 2060. The Global Carbon Project, which monitors the global carbon cycle, and the Copenhagen Diagnosis, a climate science report, predict 6C and 7C temperature increases, respectively, by 2100. The UN Environment Program predicts up to a 5C increase by 2050.) Whenever we reach the 4C increase, whether it is by 2050, or sooner, this shall mark the threshold at which terrestrial trees and plants are no longer able to soak up any more carbon from the atmosphere, and we will see an abrupt increase in atmospheric carbon, and an even further acceleration of ACD. And it's not just global weather events providing the signs. Other first-time phenomena abound as well. ......... Much much more so go read all of this! HUGE! And very scary!
The PRWatch Staff posts this Keystone PipeLIES Exposed: The Facts on Phantom Jobs, Phony Gas Prices, and Missing Revenue by Dave Saldana, Director, Writer, and Producer of "Keystone PipeLIES Exposed," a new short film that is a production of the Center for Media and Democracy Investigative Fund. The claim of Keystone XL supporters that has drawn the most scrutiny and criticism, and one of the most repeated, is the number of jobs that the KXL project would generate. Despite significant, substantiated research that disproves it, a persistent claim -- made repeatedly in many venues -- holds that KXL will create 20,000 jobs in the United States. Proponents say those 20,000 jobs are just the tip of the iceberg. ............ Those who have been walking the halls of Congress to discuss the issue say those claims have little substance to support them. They say the jobs vs. environment trope is an overused red herring. "Usually the politicians that are out there saying, 'You're killing jobs, you re killing jobs,' are the same politicians that are receiving major oil [campaign] contributions," says Colarulli of the Sierra Club. "It's a talking point, and there's nothing real behind it." A charitable interpretation might find, as PolitiFact did, that the inflated numbers come from a confusion of actual jobs -- that is, employees hired as a result of the pipeline -- as opposed to the number of "job years," the number of years of the project's duration multiplied by number of workers hired. Cornell University's world-renowned Global Labor Institute (GLI), however, did not find that the actual data supported so generous an assessment. Looking directly at the claims and crunching the numbers, its report concluded that there are "questions that are serious enough to generate a high level of skepticism regarding the value of KXL as an important source of American jobs." This report concludes, among other things, that TransCanada's numbers are suspect, the conclusions reached on the basis of those numbers are unsubstantiated, and studies commissioned by TransCanada to back its claims are "flawed and poorly documented." In a separate report, the GLI found that KXL could put at risk the $76 billion agricultural industries in the states the pipeline would traverse, jeopardizing hundreds of thousands of jobs, including half a million in agriculture alone. Click over for more info about Just 50 Jobs, Aiding "Energy Security" by Bypassing the Middle East? plus Getting to the Gulf Coast to Bypass the U.S. Market for Foreign Countries and Job One Is "Reaching International Markets", KXL = Higher Prices at the Pump?, Oil Corporations Getting Tax Refunds and Operating in Tax-Free Zones? "TransCanada could also avoid taxes by creating a Master Limited Partnership (MLP), a corporate form that renders virtually all of its profits unreachable for tax purposes." Read all of this and do watch Keystone PipeLIES Exposed! Then go to TarSandsBlockade.org to find out Why Oppose KXL? and use the hashtag #XLDissent to spread the word! Look for this action Tar Sands Blockade @kxlblockade 47m #XLDissent livestream 10 am tomorrow here: http://ustream.tv/rootsmedia via @organizerx #NoKXL on Sunday! At xldissent.org Join us in Washington DC March 1-2 to tell President Obama to reject the northern leg of Keystone XL and protect us from a future defined by climate chaos.Join us in Washington DC March 1-2 to tell President Obama to reject the northern leg of Keystone XL and protect us from a future defined by climate chaos.
The Center for Marine and Environmental Radioactivity (CMER) at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution presents OurRadioActiveOcean.org and asks How
radioactive is our ocean? The release of radioactive contaminants from Fukushima remains an unprecedented event for the people of Japan and the Pacific Ocean. Help scientists at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution reveal the ongoing spread of radiation across the Pacific and its evolving impacts on the ocean. Click around the site for more info! ABOUT CMER: We live in a radioactive world. The Center for Marine and Environmental Radioactivity (CMER) is dedicated to increasing scientific and public understanding of the sources, fate, and consequences of natural and human-made radioactive substances in the environment, in particular the oceans. There are more than 1,500 radioactive isotopes (radionuclides) on Earth. Most originated from the Big Bang and are naturally occurring in rocks, water, and air. Some are human-made products of the nuclear era that were released into the environment by Cold War weapons testing and accidents at nuclear power plants, such as Chernobyl and Fukushima. Radionuclides have widely varying chemical and physical properties. Some have known impacts on human health; others pose risks that are misunderstood and/or overstated. Many have been used as tracers to study environmental processes and enabled revolutionary understanding of the natural world. In the aftermath of Fukushima—after years of relative complacency—the public and policymakers have expressed renewed concerns about radioactive contamination. In addition, radioactive wastes have piled up without safe places to store them. Nuclear-fueled ships and submarines ply the oceans. The number of nuclear power plants is growing around the world. There are concerns about the spread of nuclear weapons and non-nuclear "dirty" bombs. Yet, at the same time, Cold War-era nuclear scientists and radiochemists are retiring, creating a workforce gap in the U.S. at the agency level. ........
Speaking of Nuclear-fueled ships Harvey Wasserman finds Documents Say Navy Knew Fukushima Dangerously Contaminated the USS Reagan at EcoWatch.org A stunning new report indicates the U.S. Navy knew that sailors from the nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan took major radiation hits from the Fukushima atomic power plant after its meltdowns and explosions nearly three years ago.
If true, the revelations cast new light on the $1 billion lawsuit filed by the sailors against Tokyo Electric Power. Many of the sailors are already suffering devastating health impacts, but are being stonewalled by Tepco and the Navy. The Reagan had joined several other U.S. ships in Operation Tomodachi (“Friendship”) to aid victims of the March 11, 2011 quake and tsunami. Photographic evidence and first-person testimony confirms that on March 12, 2011 the ship was within two miles of Fukushima Dai’ichi as the reactors there began to melt and explode. In the midst of a snow storm, deck hands were enveloped in a warm cloud that came with a metallic taste. Sailors testify that the Reagan’s 5,500-member crew was told over the ship’s intercom to avoid drinking or bathing in desalinized water drawn from a radioactive sea. The huge carrier quickly ceased its humanitarian efforts and sailed 100 miles out to sea, where newly published internal Navy communications confirm it was still taking serious doses of radioactive fallout. Scores of sailors from the Reagan and other ships stationed nearby now report a wide range of ailments reminiscent of those documented downwind from atomic bomb tests in the Pacific and Nevada, and at Three Mile Island and Chernobyl. A similar metallic taste was described by pilots who dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, and by central Pennsylvanians downwind of Three Mile Island. Some parts of the atolls downwind from the South Pacific bomb tests remain uninhabitable six decades later. ............. a stunning new report by an American scholar based in Tokyo confirms that Naval officers communicated about what they knew to be the serious irradiation of the Reagan. Written by Kyle Cunningham and published in Japan Focus, “Mobilizing Nuclear Bias” describes the interplay between the U.S. and Japanese governments as Fukushima devolved into disaster. Cunningham writes that transcribed conversations obtained through the Freedom of Information Act feature naval officials who acknowledge that even while 100 miles away from Fukushima, the Reagan’s readings “compared to just normal background [are] about 30 times what you would detect just on a normal air sample out to sea.” On the nuclear-powered carrier “all of our continuous monitors alarmed at the same level, at this value. And then we took portable air samples on the flight deck and got the same value,” the transcript says. .......... Tepco and the Navy contend the Reagan did not receive a high enough dose to warrant serious concern. But Japan, South Korea and Guam deemed the carrier too radioactive to enter their ports .......... The $4.3 billion boat is now docked in San Diego. Critics question whether it belongs there at all. Attempts to decontaminate U.S. ships irradiated during the Pacific nuclear bombs tests from 1946-1963 proved fruitless. Hundreds of sailors were exposed to heavy doses of radiation, but some ships had to be sunk anyway. Leaks at the Fukushima site continue to worsen. Despite its denials, Tepco recently admitted it had underestimated certain radiation releases by a factor of 500 percent. A new report indicates that particles of radioactive Cesium 134 from Fukushima have been detected in the ocean off the west coast of North America. Global concerns continue to rise about Fukushima’s on-going crises with liquid leaks, the troubled removal of radioactive fuel rods, the search for three missing melted cores, organized crime influence at the site and much more. ....... Visit EcoWatch’s NUCLEAR page for more related news.
MORE NUKE NEWS! RAW STORY snags this item from Agence France-Presse from February 5 Fire sparks evacuation at New Mexico nuclear waste plant Firefighters scrambled Wednesday to contain an underground blaze at a US nuclear waste plant which sparked an evacuation of staff, some of whom were treated in hospital, officials said. The blaze erupted on a vehicle carrying salt at the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, the US Department of Energy (DoE) said in a statement. Emergency response teams responded to “an operational emergency” at the plant, which is used to dispose of radioactive waste left from making nuclear weapons. ......... No contamination escaped as a result of the fire, a spokeswoman for the site, Sona Herrick, told the Albuquerque Journal, adding that the truck involved hauls salt mined as part of the radioactive waste storage operations. The New Mexico site is “the nation’s first repository for the permanent disposal of defense-generated transuranic radioactive waste left from research and production of nuclear weapons,” according to the DoE. The plant, some 270 miles southeast of Albuquerque, is used to dispose of material including plutonium-contaminated waste from the Los Alamos National Laboratory, about 300 miles away, also in New Mexico. ......... Ah yes! Spokespeeps always say "No contamination escaped" don't they? Not so fast, wabbit. Al Jazeera America reports February 20 Plutonium detected half-mile outside New Mexico nuclear waste facility Four days after a radiation alert shut the nation’s only underground nuclear waste facility, an independent monitoring center said Wednesday it found radioactive isotopes in an air sensor about a half mile from the southeastern New Mexico plant. A filter from a monitor northwest of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) in Carlsbad had trace amounts of plutonium and americium, said Russell Hardy, director of the Carlsbad Environmental Monitoring and Research Center. “It’s still below what EPA considers actionable levels, but it’s important to know that some material did get out of the facility,” Hardy told the Albuquerque Journal. The levels are the highest ever detected at or around the site, he added. WIPP said in a statement Wednesday that its filters remove at least 99.97 percent of contaminants from the air, “meaning a minute amount still can pass through.” “There is a lot more that needs to be known,” Don Hancock, director of the Nuclear Waste Safety Program at the Southwest Research and Information Center in Albuquerque, told local media. “The big problem is, does anybody really know what happened in the underground and how much was released or is continuing to be released? And, therefore, how much is being captured by the filters and how much is getting into the environment?” ........ Nice, eh?
Let us once again remind you "Opposition candidate Viktor Yushchenko in the Ukrainian presidential elections is firmly backed by the Washington Consensus" in IMF Sponsored “Democracy” in The Ukraine
Our Brick TeeVee LAST WORD goes to PAUL CRAIG ROBERTS who explains The Crisis In Ukraine (h/t BTV Correspondent msgeaux) In 2004 Hungary joined the EU, expecting streets of gold. Instead, four years later in 2008 Hungary became indebted to the IMF. The rock video by the Hungarian group, Mouksa Underground sums up the result in Hungary today of falling into the hands of the EU and IMF. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8h526sB7w&feature=youtu.be ........... There is no solution but revolution - Perhaps if the Kiev students had listened to the Hungarian rock group instead of to Washington’s NGOs, they would understand what it means to be looted by the West, and Ukraine would not be in turmoil and headed toward destruction. As Assistant Secretary of State Victoria Nuland made clear in her speech last December and in the leaked recording of her telephone conversation with the US ambassador in Kiev, Washington spent $5 billion of US taxpayer dollars engineering a coup in Ukraine that overthrew the elected democratic government. That it was a coup is also underlined by the obvious public lies that Obama has told about the situation, blaming, of course, the overthrown government, and by the total misrepresentation of Ukrainian developments by the US and European presstitute media. The only reason to misrepresent the events is to support the coup and to cover up Washington’s hand. There is no doubt whatsoever that the coup is a strategic move by Washington to weaken Russia. Washington tried to capture Ukraine in 2004 with the Washington-funded “Orange Revolution,” but failed. Ukraine was part of Russia for 200 years prior to being granted independence in the 1990s. The eastern and southern provinces of Ukraine are Russian areas that were added to Ukraine in the 1950s by the Soviet leadership in order to water down the influence of the nazi elements in the western Ukraine that had fought for Adolf Hitler against the Soviet Union during World War 2. The loss of Ukraine to the EU and NATO would mean the loss of Russia’s naval base on the Black Sea and the loss of many military industries. If Russia were to accept such strategic defeat, it would mean that Russia had submitted to Washington’s hegemony. Whatever course the Russian government takes, the Russian population of eastern and southern Ukraine will not accept oppression by Ukrainian ultra-nationalists and neo-nazis. ............. As I noted in a previous column, the Ukrainian parliament itself is responsible for the destruction of democracy in Ukraine. Its unconstitutional and undemocratic actions have paved the way for the neo-nazis who now have the precedent to treat the moderates the same way that the moderates treated the elected government and to cover up their illegality with accusations of crimes and arrest warrants. Today the illegally deposed President Yanukovych is on the run. Tomorrow will the current president, Oleksander Turchinov, put in office by the moderates, not by the people, be on the run? If a democratic election did not convey legitimacy to President Yanukovych, how does selection by a rump parliament convey legitimacy to Turchinov? What can Turchinov answer if the neo-nazis put to him Lenin’s question to Kerensky: “Who chose you?” If Washington has lost control of the coup and is unable to restore control to the moderates whom it has aligned with the EU and NATO, war would seem to be unavoidable. There is no doubt that the Russian provinces would seek and be granted Russia’s protection. Whether Russia would go further and overthrow the neo-nazis in western Ukraine is unknown. Whether Washington, which seems to have positioned military forces in the region, would provide the military might for the moderates to defeat the neo-nazis is also an open question, as is Russia’s response. .............The entire world should be alarmed at the reckless and irresponsible interference by Washington in Ukraine. By bringing a direct strategic threat to Russia, the crazed Washington hegemon has engineered a Great Power confrontation and created the risk of world destruction. UPDATE: The Christian Science Montor offer this Russia approves troops for Ukraine. Is war looming? (+video) Russia's upper house of parliament unanimously approved President Vladimir Putin's request today to send a "limited contingent" of troops into Crimea, a move that may be interpreted in Kiev and around the world as a declaration of war against independent Ukraine. Russian forces have been active in Crimea in recent days, patrolling the roads and liaising with local pro-Russian militias who have occupied government buildings and airports, but those troops have been able to claim they were legally garrisoned in the Russian naval base of Sevastopol. Now the gloves -- and the masks -- are off, and experts say they expect to see regular Russian troops arriving in force over the next few hours, either by air or by sea from nearby Russia. "In connection with the extraordinary situation that has developed in Ukraine and the threat to citizens of the Russian Federation, our compatriots. . . I hereby appeal to the Council of Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation to use the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation on the territory of Ukraine until the social and political situation in that country is normalized," says Mr. Putin's appeal, posted on the Kremlin website. The resolution passed by the Russian parliament, and the mostly-approving discussion in the house that accompanied it, suggests the intervention would be limited to Crimea. But experts say that, like so many past examples of "limited" military operations, it may very well mutate into something much bigger in the tense days and weeks ahead.......... Now comes the struggle for Ukranians to accept Western/U.S. backed whithering, crippling IMF austerity loans that have devastated the PIGS (Portugal, Ireleand, Greece, Spain) of Southern Europe now threatening England and France or look elsewhere in the world where the IMF has devastated countries and economies to the advantage of transnational interests like when Brazil to pay off IMF debts early in 2005 to get out from under the thumb of the IMF. Unfortunately we in the U.S. don't have this luxury: We are tied directly to the corporate trans-nationals and the To-Big-To-Fail (TBTF) banking cartels that "run-n-fund" our so-called "democracy". We think The Founders never considered what would happen if ALL THREE BRANCHES of the bicameral government they invented was co-opted and compromised into ONE lock-step entity controlling of ALL OF GOVERNMENT. Huh. Lastly The Brick TeeVee Crew notes the loss of Harold Ramis who passed away last week. Watch this video at HuffPoAOL The Second City Remembers The Life Of Harold Ramis (1944-2014) Considered by some to be one of the funniest writer-directors of his generation, Harold Ramis passed away Monday of complications from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis. At 69 years old, the actor and comedian left behind a wife and three children, but also an incredible legacy. Along with starring in several roles, Ramis is credited with writing four of the American Film Institute's 100 Funniest Movies, including Ghostbusters (no. 28), Groundhog Day (no. 34), Animal House (no. 36) and Caddyshack (no. 71). Watch as Second City Network, the legendary birthplace of improv-based sketch comedy, pays tribute to Ramis' life with this moving video. ....... Our condolences go out to the Ramis Family and their extended film/comedy family. We hope tonight's Academy Awards recognize some of the films Harold Ramis made, movies we all know and love and laugh to.
Harold Allen Ramis
November 21, 1944 – February 24, 2014
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Nicolai Petro, professor of politics at the University of Rhode Island & Timothy Snyder, professor of history at Yale University, A Coup or a Revolution? Ukraine Seeks Arrest of Ousted President Following Deadly Street Protests
- Award-winning Guardian journalist Luke Harding "The Paragraph Began to Self-Delete": Did NSA Hack Computer of Snowden Biographer & Edit Book Draft?
- Larry Hildes, lead attorney & Glenn Crespo, plaintiff in the Panagacos v. Towery case Exclusive: Inside the Army Spy Ring & Attempted Entrapment of Peace Activists, Iraq Vets, Anarchists
- Dawn Porter, award-winning producer and director of the new documentary "Spies of Mississippi & Jerry Mitchell, investigative reporter for The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Mississippi Spies of Mississippi: New Film on the State-Sponsored Campaign to Defeat the Civil Rights Movement
- Akinyele Umoja, associate professor and chair of the Department of African-American Studies at Georgia State University, Benjamin Jealous, former president and CEO of NAACP, Bill Chandler, a close ally to Mayor Lumumba & Kwame Kenyatta, former Detroit city councilman who moved to Jackson last year to serve as Mayor Chokwe Lumumba’s contract compliance officer. Chokwe Lumumba: Remembering "America’s Most Revolutionary Mayor"
- Edwin Lyman & Susan Stranahan, co-authors of the new book, "Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster" Japan, U.S. Move to Expand Nuclear Power Programs Despite Contamination at Fukushima & New Mexico
- George Takei George Takei on Arizona’s Anti-Gay Bill, Life in a Japanese Internment Camp & Star Trek’s Mr. Sulu
- Lisa Song & David Hasemyer, journalists with InsideClimate News Big Oil and Bad Air: Report Exposes Link Between Fracking and Toxic Air Emissions in Texas READ Fracking the Eagle Ford Shale: Big Oil & Bad Air on the Texas Prairie an eight-month investigation by InsideClimate News, the Center for Public Integrity and The Weather Channel.
- John Carlos Frey, investigative reporter Excessive Force? Migrant Shot Dead by U.S. Border Agent Near San Diego After Throwing Rock
- Democracy Now! BIRTHDAY! Democracy Now! Celebrates 18 Years On Air To celebrate our 18th birthday, we are asking our listeners and viewers to submit a photo or video that describes why Democracy Now! is important to you, starting with "I need Democracy Now! because…" Take a picture of yourself holding a sign or shoot a 30-second or shorter video telling us your name, where you live and why you tune in to Democracy Now! Click here to submit your photo or video. We’ll highlight our favorites online, live on air, or on our social media networks.
- James Ball, the special projects editor for Guardian US Peeping Webcam? With NSA Help, British Spy Agency Intercepted Millions of Yahoo Chat Images READ Yahoo Webcam Images from Millions of Users Intercepted by GCHQ
- Zainab Alkhawaja, a pro-democracy activist in Bahrain Freed Bahraini Activist Zainab Alkhawaja on Her Year in Prison, Continued Detention of Her Father
- Karim Khan, a Pakistani anti-drone activist & Shahzad Akbar, Pakistani lawyer who represents drone strike victims I Was Beaten, Tortured: Pakistani Anti-Drone Activist Karim Khan on Being Abducted by Masked Men
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» FEATURED SHOW Chokwe Lumumba RIP: Mississippi Mayor With Revolutionary Vision Chokwe Lumumba has died, an extraordinary leader who carried a radical vision forged in the 1970s black power movement into the 21st Century where he retooled it for eight transformational months in city government. GRITtv spoke with Lumumba just two weeks ago, in Jackson, Ms. ......... more!
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» NBA on ABC Sunday! Knicks @ Bulls 1 pm et »»» NBA on ESPN Wednesday Doubleheader! Mavs @ Nuggets 8 pm et then Hawks @ Blazers 10:30 pm et »»» NBA on TNT Thursday Doubleheader! Heat @ Spurs 8 pm et then Clippers @ Lakers 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
STOP the ACHE NEW WEBSITE! AcheAct.org and Appalachian Community HEALTH EMERGENCY Advocating for government action and protection of the public from the health crisis in mountain top removal communities. The A.C.H.E. Act Is Re-Introduced In The 113th Congress!
- Washington, DC – Today a group of U.S. House of Representatives lawmakers introduced the Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act (ACHE Act, H.R. 526) to protect Appalachian families and communities from the nation’s most extreme form of coal mining, mountaintop removal. The Appalachian Community Health Emergency Act’s leading sponsors are Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) and Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), joined by original cosponsors Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ), Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Rep. John Sarbanes (D-MD), Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA), Rep. Donna Edwards (D-MD), Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA), Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY), Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Rep. Michael Honda (D-CA), Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Rep. Matt Cartwright (D-PA), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME), Rep. Janice Schakowksy (D-IL), Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), and Rep. Jared Polis (DCO).
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Tell the FCC: Restore Net Neutrality An appeals court just dealt the latest blow to the open Internet. The court struck down the Federal Communications Commission’s Open Internet Order because of the questionable legal framework the agency used when it adopted its Net Neutrality rules in 2010. This ruling means there is no one who can protect us from ISPs that block or discriminate against websites, applications or services. But there’s hope: FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler can correct the agency’s past mistakes and truly protect our nation’s communications infrastructure. The agency must take the necessary steps to make broadband networks open, accessible, reliable and affordable for everyone. Tell the FCC to start treating broadband like a communications service, and to restore its Net Neutrality rules.
NEW!!! Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice.3 These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! UPDATE! Legalize Democracy Film Premieres on Free Speech TV Jan 21 Move to Amend is thrilled to announce that the premiere of our mini documentary, Legalize Democracy, will be airing on Free Speech TV (FSTV) next week to coincide with the "anniversary" of Citizens United. Legalize Democracy is a 28 minute film by Dennis Trainor, Jr. about the movement to amend -- why it is needed, and how you can get involved. Watch live on our website here. Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Bradley Manning Support Network Announcing the Private Manning Support Network! August 26, 2013, By attorney David Coombs and the Private Manning Support Network (formerly the Bradley Manning Support Network). Additional clarification on PVT Chelsea (formerly Bradley) Manning's request regarding her gender and name. With your continued support, our network will continue its advocacy efforts in support our heroic WikiLeaks whistle-blower through this new phase of her life. ....... UPDATE! Chelsea Manning Awarded Sam Adams Integrity Prize for 2014 January 22, 2014. By the Sam Adams Associates for Integrity in Intelligence (SAAII). Chelsea Manning has been awarded this years's Integrity in Intelligence award for "casting much-needed daylight on the true toll and cause of civilian casualties in Iraq; human rights abuses by U.S. and “coalition” forces, mercenaries, and contractors; and the roles that spying and bribery play in international diplomacy." ..... AND Update 2/25/14: Edward Snowden's taped statement to Chelsea Manning re. Sam Adams award Recipient of the 2013 Sam Adams Award for Integrity in Intelligence, Edward Snowden sent this taped statement for the ceremony held last week at Oxford University. .....
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
• Secretary of State John Kerry
• Actor Ben Affleck and former senator and U.S. Special Envoy Russ Feingold discuss their efforts to bring attention to war-torn Congo
• ROUNDTABLE: Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill., CNN “Crossfire” co-host Van Jones, National Review editor Rich Lowry, and ABC News’ Cokie Roberts.
• FiveThirtyEight.com editor-in-chief and ABC News special contributor Nate Silver
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Fox 'News'-ification of CBS News and '60 Minutes': 'The Cleantech Crash'
• 60 Minutes Presents: Crime and Punishment: Steve Kroft hosts a special hour of 60 Minutes including the capture of "Whitey" Bulger; the murder of a neo-Nazi leader; and, the largest archival theft in U.S. history
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
• Secretary of State John Kerry
• Florida Senator, and Foreign Relations Committee member, Marco Rubio
• California Governor Jerry Brown
• ROUNDTABLE: Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, Washington Post columnist Kathleen Parker, NBC News Political Director Chuck Todd, Founder of Women in the World Tina Brown, and Bloomberg View columnist Jeffrey Goldberg.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) Sunday at 9 am ET and Noon ET.
• Ukraine's ambassador to the United Nations Yuriy Sergeyev
• Obama’s Former National Security Adviser Tom Donilon
• Illinois Democrat Dick Durbin
• South Carolina Republican Lindsey Graham
• Politics Roundtable: former Obama insider Bill Burton, New York Times columnist Ross Douthat and Amy Walter of the Cook Political Report
• Special noon hour: former U.S. Ambassador to Russia John Beyrle
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• FRONT PORCH FRIDAY! Pull up a cold one! Featuring the Skype HORN/Malloy club! Listen here: NOW HERE - Friday, February 28th, 2014 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - February 27, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Cancer clusters found downwind of Canada's tar sands; Nebraska judge rejects Keystone XL tar sand pipeline route; Inspector General finds no conflicts of interest in Keystone XL environmental report; Tesla wants to free you from your electric utility!; PLUS: Can wind turbines really slow down hurricanes?... All that and more in today's Green News Report! IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links at site): Drought & Dystopia in Syria: Vision of Mankind’s Future?; Save the butterflies: limits sought on Monsanto weedkiller; Climate change is coming for your coffee; Acidic waters kill 10m scallops in PacNW; Oil train rail cars unsafe, 'unacceptable'; NY utilities ordered to prepare for climate change ... PLUS: That fresh pine forest scent can also limit climate change ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - February 25, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Natural gas methane leaks found to be 50% higher than EPA estimates; CO passes first-ever emissions regulations for oil & gas industry; Mississippi River shut down by oil spill; 2014 was hottest Winter Olympics ever; PLUS: ExxonMobil's CEO says fracking is fine for your backyard --- but not for his... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Federal Judge Finds TX Marriage Equality Ban Unconstitutional Truly conservative interpretation of the U.S. Constitution comes to Texas, whether the Rightwingers there like it or not...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Republican FCC Commish Calls Out the Hounds Ajit Pai takes to Murdoch's WSJ and Fox 'News' to undermine Dem colleagues and fire up the wingnut controlled public airwaves he's supposed to be overseeing...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Former Mobil Oil VP's Scathing Letter to ExxonMobil CEO Who Is Suing to Stop Fracking Water Tank Near His $5 Million Texas Mansion As we discussed during Tuesday's Green News Report, Rex Tillerson, the CEO of ExxonMobil, the most profitable corporation in the history of civilization, doesn't mind fracking --- nor the health concerns and property devaluation that come with it --- near YOUR house. But now he's suing to stop it near HIS house...or, rather, suing to stop the construction of a 15-story water tower, to be used for fracking, near his $5 million, 83-acre mansion and ranch in Bartonville, Texas. It will "create a constant and unbearable nuisance to those that live next to it," the lawsuit contends, charging that water used for fracking will lead to "traffic with heavy trucks" that, Tillerson's attorney says, "devalues his property." "Poor" fellow. Hope he wins the suit. But, if not, as former Mobil Oil Corporation Executive Vice President Louis W. Allstadt points out in a scathing open letter to Tillerson sent on Tuesday, he can always afford to move away...unlike most of the less fortunate victims of fracking around the nation......
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• Special Appeal for New Audio Equipment! As you may have noticed, the audio in our podcasts has been a little uneven recently. About 2 weeks ago, a critical amplifier fritzed out, and since then we’ve had intermittent distortion and other problems. My personal tech guru, Raul Velez, is on the way with a new mixer and other gear. Can you help me with this unexpected expense?
• PBC News & Comment 26 Feb 2014 PBC News & Comment: American Corporations Don’t Pay Their Fair Share of Taxes, Again While corporate tax rate is nominally 35%, average is 19% and many big corporations pay no tax, even get refunds!….
• PBC News & Comment 27 Feb 2014 PBC News & Comment: NSA’s British Partner Spies on Millions of Yahoo Webcam Users Guardian says Snowden docs show GCHQ’s “Optic Nerve” program spies on millions of innocent people, including many naked ones!….
• PBC News & Comment 28 Feb 2014 PBC News & Comment: Death Squad Dance in the Obama White House More official leaks fuel debate over drone assassination of alleged al Qaeda leader “al-Shami”, who was born in the US….
• PBC Standard Podcast February 24, 2014 Meet Shenna Bellows, the True Progressive 2014 Candidate for US Senate from Maine
• PBC Standard Podcast February 26, 2014 As New Bitcoin Crisis Continues, Here’s an Explanation of Digital Currency and How Bitcoin Works
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Weekend on Ring of Fire Radio! February 28, 2014 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
• Abby Levine from the Alliance for Justice will explain why the IRS has failed to reign in dark money in American elections.
• Lee Fang from The Nation will explain the shadow lobby operating in DC.
• Salon.com’s David Dayen will explain the latest Wall Street scam that’s hurting the price of commodities.
• And best-selling author Cliff Schecter will help us run down some of the biggest news stories of the week.
• NEW! This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! March 1, 2014 Sundays at NOON!
»» Attorney Mike Burg will explain how banks are gobbling up commodities to drive up prices for consumers and make a hefty profit for themselves.
»» Linda Lipsen, CEO of the AAJ in Washington, D.C., will tell us how malpractice caps harm consumers, and how groups like the AAJ are fighting back.
»» Author Mike Lofgren (The Party Is Over) will tell us how the military industrial complex is alive and well – and calling the shots – in Washington.
»» And Free Speech TV host David Pakman will help us run down the biggest news stories of the past week.
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on December 21, 2013 by Joshua Schwitzerlett - Ring of Fire’s top stories from the past week.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at email@example.com if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.” Also see Papantonio & Kennedy on Corporate Corruption and Fraud — Pt. 1/4
• Ring of Fire’s Weekly Rewind Posted on March 1, 2014 by Joshua De Leon
• VIDEO! Exxon CEO: Don’t Frack Near Me (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Sam Seder discuss Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson’s hypocritical fracking concerns over a water tower near his home.
• VIDEO! RFK, Jr. and Seder: The Super Wealthy’s Social Disconnect (VIDEO) Ring of Fire’s Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and Sam Seder discuss the social disconnect exhibited by many of the super wealthy in America, notably Exxon’s Rex Tillerson and venture capitalist Tom Perkins.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 2/24/14 David Sirota: The Wolf of Sesame Street
• TUESDAY 2/25/14 Kiera Feldman: Sexual Assault at God’s Harvard
• WEDNESDAY 2/26/14 Jodie Griffin: The Threat of The Comcast-Time Warner Merger & What Next For Net Neutrality?
• THURSDAY 2/27/14 David Dayen: How the post office could save the economy — and change your life
• FRIDAY 2/28/14 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Film Guy Matthew Weiss
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• Ukraine: A Deep State Analysis by Charles Hugh Smith - Some preliminary thoughts on a complex situation........
• Gold Fix Study Shows Signs of Decade of Bank Manipulation by Stacy Herbert - Stacy Summary: Nothing will be done about this but still an interesting read, for many jobs in London are depending on this scheme. READ Gold Fix Study Shows Signs of Decade of Bank Manipulation (bloomberg.com)
• How Facebook Exploits Underage Girls in its Quest for Ad Revenue Submitted by Michael Krieger of Liberty Blitzkrieg - This post is my third in recent weeks exploring what exactly is going on with the Facebook business model. The company reported stellar results in its latest earnings report, which has led to many questions as to exactly how they are making all this advertising money. Well the pieces are finally starting to come together, and the answer is not pretty. Part of it has to do with the exploitation of underage girls. According to the Wall Street Journal, the primary demographic clicking on ads for adult web cams on the site is 13-17. Sickening. Read more HERE. (libertyblitzkrieg.com)
• A 34% pension hit for Detroit retirees in debt deal by Stacy Herbert - I seem to recall that the average annual pension for a Detroit retiree is $19,000 per year. If so, then they’d be taking an annual haircut of $6460. READ Robert Snell (@RobertSnell_DN) February 21, 2014: Here is section spelling out 34 percent pension hit for #Detroit general retirees in bankruptcy debt-cutting plan pic.twitter.com/BtMuMVItP8
• Everybody loves their chosen billionaire by Stacy Herbert - Stacy Summary: Such neo-feudal times we have that almost every nation, almost every conflict comes down to rival billionaires backed by their street fighting peasants. Just as in feudal Europe, we choose the Lord/billionaire/oligarch for whom we wish to fight and to war we go. And just as back then, only rival oligarchs are uniquely evil, while the one we serve is uniquely pure. Here is Pando on Pierre. Experts can comment below.
READ Pierre Omidyar co-funded Ukraine revolution groups with US government, documents show .......... Update: Greenwald’s response to the Pierre Omidyar article. A good piece.
• KEISER REPORT [KR556] Keiser Report: Print or Taper? We discuss the print, taper, print, taper talk that has led to the economic and financial chaos that finds the Financial Times opining that one should do like the Bundesbank did and demand physical delivery of your gold before your wealth becomes pixellated. In the second half, Max interviews John Mauldin, author of CODE RED: How to Protect Your Savings From the Coming Crisis, about money printing, inflation/deflation, gold prices and wages.
• KEISER REPORT [KR566] Keiser Report: Zero-Sum World We discuss the new game called the Hunger Gains. In a financialized zero sum world, Housing Gains plus Hunger Pains equals The Hunger Gains. This game is sponsored by China, however, and if they withdraw their sponsorship by dumping their trillion in US Treasuries, a new game called working may have to happen. In the second half, Max interviews Alasdair MacLeod of Goldmoney.com about the redemption of emerging market currencies into the US dollar mirroring pre-WW1 bank runs, except on a global scale. With this ongoing global bank run happening, it is China that is buying up all the gold.
• KEISER REPORT [KR567] Keiser Report: Financial Death Shriekers We discuss the shriek factor in financial markets and the whirlpool of money death at MtGox. In the second half, Max interviews Jan Skoyles of The Real Asset Company about the biggest gold heists in history, the Goldilocks year for the gold and silver markets and the crowd-funding campaign for Get REAL.
• KEISER REPORT [KR568] Keiser Report: Triangle Of Fraud We discuss the ‘cling-ons’ unable to afford to live in London, while in Texas, Rex Tillerson of Exxon, the man most responsible for pushing fracking across the nation, refuses to have it happen in his backyard. In the second half, Max interviews Andrew Spooner of AsiaProvocateur.blogspot.com about the economic reasons behind the ongoing protests in Thailand.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1306] The Truth About Markets – 22 February 2014 Download show HERE (mp3)
• Donate to ResonanceFM here!
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday from 3-5 PM Eastern HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up (8:30 am pt), and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream.......
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/25/14 Gareth Porter: Gareth Porter, an independent journalist and historian, discusses the newest US (and Israeli) demands that could halt an Iran nuclear deal; the Iranian equivalent of Iraq’s war-enabling “curveball” informant; and the media’s failure to provide fair and balanced reporting on Iran issues.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/26/14 Justin Raimondo: Justin Raimondo, editorial director of Antiwar.com, discusses the coup in Kiev; renewed Cold War hostilities between the US and Russia, with Ukraine in between; and the neo-Nazi representation in Ukraine’s dissident groups.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/28/14 Eric Margolis: Eric Margolis, an award-winning, internationally syndicated columnist, discusses the quick demise of the EU-brokered compromise deal for Ukraine; tracing Ukraine’s civil conflicts back to WWII atrocities committed by the USSR and Germany; and Russia’s so-far moderate response to the crisis.
• Scott Horton Radio Show 02/28/14 Marcy Wheeler: Blogger Marcy Wheeler discusses her work with the Greenwald/Scahill/Poitras media project The Intercept; the extent of NSA data mining, which tech firms/telecoms are cooperating, and the maze of legal justifications; and why, if a government agency must spy on everyone to no good effect, it might as well be the CIA instead of the NSA.
• Visit his blog Stress. See ScottHorton.org for archives! Send emails to Scott at scotthorton.org to help Scott keep his podcast going!
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Rep Mike Rogers (R-MI), Chair of the House Intelligence Committee
• Rep Darrell Issa (R-CA), Chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
• Sen Rob Portman (R-OH), a member of the Senate Budget Committee
• Rep Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), Ranking Member of the House Budget Committee
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml