Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Brick TeeVee's 2014 Turkey Day Special! Can you believe For The 7th Month In A Row October Set A Heat Record? Chelsea Harvey at BusinessInsider.com explains Last month was the warmest October since humans started recording climate data in 1880, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center. And the previous six months also all set heat records. April, May, June, August, and September of this year were all also the warmest on record, and July came in at fourth hottest. In fact, the entire period from January through October this year was the warmest such stretch ever recorded....... But if you live in Buffalo New York you saw a different record. We go to ZeroHedge.com for these Stunning Photos Of Record Snow Covering Upstate New York: 100 Total Inches Of Snow Expected As previously reported, the anticipated Polar Vortex 2.0 has struck, pushing temperatures in all 50 states to below freezing, while heavy snow prompted a state of emergency in western New York and contributed to the deaths of four people. According to Reuters, it was the coldest November morning across the country since 1976, according to Weather Bell Analytics, a meteorologist consulting firm. It remains to be seen how many GDP percentage points were wiped out as a result, unless of course, this time it will be different from last winter. Typically, such cold is not seen until late December through February. But it was the situation in upstate New York, especially around Buffalo and parts of Erie County, where things got most dire and where 60 inches (1.5 m) of snow accumulated, with more falling, said Steven Welch of the National Weather Service near Buffalo. Snow fell at a rate of up to five inches (13 cm) an hour and some areas approached the U.S. record for 24-hour snowfall totals of 76 inches, or over 6 feet, the NWS said. The record cumulative snowfall through Wednesday is shown in the image below: [lake effect snow map] .......... forecasters were calling for more snow on Thursday, as much as three feet more, for a total of up to 100 inches over four days - a year's worth for the region. .................But nothing compares to the photos on the ground as shocked residents woke up to find themselves literally burried under 6 or more feet of snow. Here is a sample of what they saw on Tuesday morning courtesy of Albany Meteorologist Greg Pollak ...... Click over to see some of the craziest pix of the massive snow! We especially like the ones of Snow Beer Caves! BuzzFeed.com has the 24 Pictures That Perfectly Capture How Insane The Snow Is Near Buffalo, New York. WOW! This weekend brought some normalized temps in the 40s which is causing its own set of new problems. From CNN Ed Payne explains Buffalo's curse: After the snow, warmer temps and rain After insane amounts of snow and bitterly cold temperatures this week, the Buffalo area begins to thaw out Saturday. The good news: Warmer temperatures will begin to melt some 7 feet of snow across the region. The bad news: Warmer temperatures will begin to melt some 7 feet of snow across the region. Saturday's high should reach 40 degrees, but with it comes rain. The entire area is under a flood warning, which means flooding is imminent or has been reported. The National Weather Service says flood-prone areas will be inundated, but warns there will be general flooding, too. ......... According to the National Weather Service, temperatures will remain above freezing through Monday, rising steadily into the 50s on Sunday. Heavy snow threatens to collapse more roofs before it melts. Some roofs already have crumbled, but rain may collapse more, in part because the already heavy snow perched atop buildings will soak up this weekend's rain before it melts, Erie County officials have said. About 30 roofs collapsed from Thursday night into Friday morning, Erie County Deputy Executive Richard Tobe said. ........ Snow and vehicle removals still are major tasks ahead. Erie County crews have had to deal with clearing 1,800 lane-miles of county roads before getting to residential streets, Poloncarz said Friday. .......... And the storm forced the NFL to announce that Sunday's game between the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets, scheduled to be played at the Bills' Ralph Wilson Stadium, will take place at Detroit's Ford Field on Monday night. But even leaving the Buffalo area had its complications. Before meeting at the Bills' stadium Friday morning to get on a bus to the airport, some of the players had to be picked up by snowmobile because of driving bans in certain areas, team spokesman Scott Berchtold said. ........ We here in Da Cleve are no strangers to Lake Effect snows when very cold air from Canada comes blowing across a relatively warm Lake Eerie and dump a ton of snow on us, but we cannot recall ANYTHING close to what Buffalo got (many here recall the winter storms of 1954 or 1977) even peeps in Chardon OH, the unofficial snow capital of Ohio, who set their own snowfall record in the 2006-7 season with 148.2". And Buffalo got AN ENTIRE SEASON of snow in only a few days! What Anthropogenic Climate Change?
Good thing “The Environment and Public Works Committee, which today is chaired by Barbara Boxer, will be chaired by me,” [Climate change skeptic Sen. Jim] Inhofe (R-Okla.) said in a speech after his victory Tuesday night. accoridng to The Hill. “We could be totally [energy] independent in the state of Oklahoma and in the United States of America if we didn’t have Obama’s war on fossil fuels,” Inhofe said. Inhofe is one of the most high-profile skeptics of climate change science in the Senate, having declared it a hoax years ago. Earlier Tuesday, he blasted a major United Nations report on climate change as “extreme,” and said it would “cripple” the economy. He is a vocal critic of Obama’s and Democrats’ attempts to reduce the emissions of greenhouse gasses that scientists agree cause climate change, and he compared the Environmental Protection Agency to the Gestapo, the secret police of Nazi Germany. But he also has pushed back on other environmental policies, such as increased nuclear energy safety, efforts to fight ozone layer depletion and funding for cleanup of environmental contamination.......... Another good thing: James Mountain "Jim" Inhofe turned 80 on November 17th! According to wiki In the 2008 election cycle, Inhofe's largest campaign donors represented the oil and gas ($446,900 in donations), leadership PACs ($316,720) and electric utilities ($221,654) industries/categories. In 2010, his largest donors represented the oil and gas ($429,950) and electric utilities ($206,654).The Brick TeeVee crew hope to outlive this troglodyte who we're certain NEVER passes up a good RED steak every day! Going forward we recommend any peeps called before the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee be as confrontational as possible so as to make the new chair's head explode! Haha! WAIT! There's more! At AlterNet STEVE ROSENFELD rounds up the 12 Extremist GOP Cartoon Characters Just Voted into Office ........... After Election Day, Politico penned a much-cited article, "Animal House?" It said, “There could be as many as 10 or 20 [Michelle] Bachmanns coming to Washington,” referring to the loony but retiring Minnesota congresswoman who led the House Tea Party Caucus and ran for president in 2012. (NOTE: Michele "One L" Bachmann has been one of the most corrupt politicians EVAH. Dig in at HuffPoAOL's roundup for the gory sordid details HERE -Ed.) However, Politico only identified four crazed House Republican freshmen: Wisconsin’s Glenn Grothman, Georgia’s Jody Hice, North Carolina’s Mark Walker, and Montana’s Ryan Zinke. AlterNet fills out this list, introducing a dozen newly elected over-the-edge Republicans. These are politicans who believe moderation is a vice, who want to reduce the role of government, and who tend to trust Wall Street and religious institutions more than the public sphere. One can only hope these extremists will not wreak great havoc before being driven from office, as was the case with Nixon and McCarthy. We'll pick out just a few! 5. David Brat (Virginia 7). Brat, a libertarian-minded economics professsor, came out of political nowhere to defeat House Majority Leader Eric Cantor in June's primary. His views are firmly grounded in the GOP’s most fervently anti-government wing. As Mother Jones reported, Brat “appears to endorse slashing Social Security payouts to seniors by two-thirds. He wants to dissolve the IRS. And he has called for drastic cuts to education funding, explaining, ‘My hero Socrates trained in Plato on a rock. How much did that cost? So the greatest minds in history became the greatest minds in history without spending a lot of money.’” Brat also said that “rich” nations have nothing to fear about climate change, MoJo noted. ............. 10. Ken Buck (Colorado 4). Buck, who lost a U.S. Senate race in 2010, is a corporate Republican business lobbyists drool over. In addition to being a former prosecutor who refused to go after confessed rapists, he has called homosexuality a lifestyle choice and believes that climate change is not a manmade problem. He opposes most government programs, wants to privatize the Veterans Administration hospital system, has called Social Security “horrible, bad policy,” and wants to repeal Obamacare. “The idea that the federal government should be running healthcare or retirement or any of those programs is fundamentally against what I believe,” he said. “The private sector runs programs like that far better.” Looks like Barnum & Bailey's got NUTHIN' on these fools! Maybe we can raise money to send a Big Red Clown Nose to every troglodyte in Congress? Of course accompanied with a snarky letter for each of them highlighting their particular "idiosyncrasy" whether it be anti-climate-change, anti-women, anti-elderly, anti-education, anti-poor, anti-children, anti-environment, anti-science, anti-Muslim, anti-immigration, you name it! OUR BEST BET for the NEXT TWO YEARS is to FLOOD the innertubes of the web, twitters, UTOOB and FaceBuuks with smart, snarky, sarcastic wit and wisdom countering each and every word and vote these troglodytes try to get away with! WE as CITIZENS have The Power! We just need to AMPLIFY IT way beyond what FAIR.org, , PolitiFACT.com, BradBlog.com and others do every day! How about a hashtag we all use #GOPherKlownKar? GET BUSY! WE CAN DO THIS! (Note: conservatives don't "get" Sarcasm and think The Colbert Report is a REAL Righty show! Haha!) As we said last week the low voter turnouts hasn't stopped the GOPhers from braying about a "mandate". BradBlog thinks there's a different kind of mandate: In Defense of Non-Voters: Not Voting IS a Vote ......... Americans did vote. They voted against the two major parties and against the system as a whole by not voting. You may not like that point, it may even make you angry, but it needs to be said. Neither party earned the vote of the majority of the American people. In fact, all of those who voted this year combined do not represent a majority of the number of registered, much less eligible, voters in this country. Whatever might have convinced all of those voters to show up to the polls, neither party was able to do it. That is a "vote," as I see it. And it's a vote --- a landslide, in fact --- either in favor of the way things are going, or against a two party system that has failed. Given that "right track/wrong track" polls so consistently show Americans believe the country is on the "wrong track," I'd say we just had a pretty clear landslide vote against a two party system that has failed. And those parties, once again, received a clear mandate, whether they choose to acknowledge it or not, from those "voters" who simply failed to show up and participate in the current electoral system. ............... I'm the first person to say that I think people should vote, if only because when they don't, that's one less vote that bad guys need to steal. Moreover, by its very nature, its incredibly easy for politicians to simply ignore the type of mandate they receive from the majority of the electorate who fail to vote at all. But I'm really tired of hearing politicians and pundits blame the electorate after elections. Even while I believe it's ill-considered, I understand why people don't vote. And I blame the people who have given them no good reason to vote because they have been given nothing to vote for......... Well said Brad!
For this week's BTV Sunday Sermon we point you to psychologist, writer and founder of Wisdom Commons Valerie Tarico at Alternet 6 Ways Religion Does More Bad Than Good What if harming society is part of religion’s survival strategy?
ALSO Amanda Marcotte Why It's Harder Than Ever for Religions to Con Their Followers It's more difficult for religions to control their believers’ access to information. But it seems the climate-change-denier big-money fossil-fuel interests have no such problem. KEYSTONE XL GREENWASHING: Reporting for TheGuardian.com Suzzane Goldenberg has Revealed: Keystone company's PR blitz to safeguard its backup plan The company behind the Keystone XL project is engaged in a “perpetual campaign” that would involve putting “intelligent” pressure on opponents and mobilising public support for an entirely Canadian alternative, bypassing Barack Obama and pipeline opposition in the US. Hours before a Senate vote to force US approval of the Keystone pipeline, the industry playbook to squash opposition to the alternative has been exposed in documents made available to the Guardian. Strategy documents drafted by the public relations giant Edelman for TransCanada Corporation – which is behind both Keystone and the proposed alternative – offer a rare inside glimpse of the extensive public relations, lobbying, and online and on-the-ground efforts undertaken for pipeline projects. The plans call, among other things, for mobilising 35,000 supporters. The documents were prepared for Energy East, a project designed to serve as an entirely Canadian alternative to Keystone that is the biggest tar sands pipeline proposed to date. TransCanada confirmed it was working with Edelman on the campaign and had already put in place the advertising, online hub and mass mobilisation efforts. The pipeline company said it did not work with Edelman on Keystone. Edelman’s response was brief. “We do not talk about the work we do for clients,” a spokesman wrote in an email. ..................... The digital hub of the campaign, a microsite about Energy East, has already been launched. Edelman says in the documents that the strategy was forged in the battles over Keystone XL and other US energy projects. “In North America pipelines have become proxies for the broader, contentious debate around climate change and oil sands development,” the documents say. The Alberta tar sands are the world’s third-largest known carbon store. The United Nations climate science panel, the IPCC, has said that most of the world’s fossil fuels must stay in the ground to avoid catastrophic climate change. Energy East is the longest pipeline proposed to date and also the highest capacity; if built, it would pump up to 1.1m barrels a day. In the wake of the Keystone XL opposition and a pipeline spill in 2010 in Kalamazoo, Michigan, oil industry projects now face “permanent, persuasive, nimble and well-funded opposition groups”, in Edelman’s words. But the documents say the oil industry and public relations firms have developed an effective strategy to beat back those opponents through online organising. Industry mobilised a million activists and generated more than 500,000 pro-Keystone comments during the public comment period, one of the documents says. “It’s not just associations or advocacy groups building these programs in support of the industry. Companies like ExxonMobil, Chevron, Shell and Halliburton (and many more) have all made key investments in building permanent advocacy assets and programs to support their lobbying, outreach and policy efforts,” the documents say. “TransCanada will be in good company.” “This approach strives to neutralize risk before it is leveled, respond directly to issues or attacks as they arise, and apply pressure – intelligently – on opponents, as appropriate,” the documents say............ The campaign group Avaaz, one of the potential targets of the opposition research, called on Edelman to sever its connections with the campaign. “Edelman’s cynical plan to smear citizens groups shows how low fossil fuel companies will stoop to protect their profits in the face of rising seas, melting ice caps and millions calling for climate action,” Alex Wilks, a campaign director in New York, wrote in an email. “Edelman must cancel its TransCanada contract and stop promoting one of the world’s dirtiest oil pipelines.” .......... Unlike Keystone the route of the Energy East pipeline falls entirely within Canada’s borders. But its purpose is similar: finding a route to get the vast carbon store of the Alberta tar sands to market. In the case of Keystone XL, TransCanada is seeking to pump crude oil from the tar sands of Alberta to the Gulf Coast where it can be processed in the Texas refinery town of Port Arthur and exported through the Gulf of Mexico. In the case of Energy East, TransCanada will convert and expand existing natural gas pipelines to deliver the oil to Saint John, New Brunswick, where there are refineries, and from where it can be shipped to supertankers in the Gulf of Mexico. ........ YOU MUST read ALL of this! Then watch DN! As Sioux Tribe Calls Keystone XL an "Act of War", TransCanada Hires PR Firm to Probe Critics New study on the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe! At EcoWatch.com Anastasia Pantsios explains a new study that has determined BP Oil Spill Left Rhode Island-Sized ‘Bathtub Ring’ on Ocean Floor .......A new study reveals that the disaster, which BP claims has been cleaned up and its impacts exaggerated, left a deposit of oil the size of Rhode Island on the ocean floor. Researchers from the University of California, Santa Barbara, University of California, Irvine, and Woods Hole (Massachusetts) Oceanographic Institution, led by geochemistry professor Dave Valentine from UCI, have published a study Fallout Plume of Submerged Oil from Deepwater Horizon. Analyzing sea sediment, they discovered what they referred to as a “bathtub ring,” saying it “formed from an oil-rich layer of water impinging laterally upon the continental slope (at a depth of 900 – 1,300 m) and a higher-flux ‘fallout plume’ where suspended oil particles sank to underlying sediment.” “Following the sinking of the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf of Mexico, an unprecedented quantity of oil irrupted into the ocean at a depth of 1.5 km,” the study said. “The novelty of this event makes the oil’s subsequent fate in the deep ocean difficult to predict. This work identifies a fallout plume of hydrocarbons from the Macondo Well contaminating the ocean floor over an area of 3,200 km. Our analysis suggests the oil initially was suspended in deep waters and then settled to the underlying sea floor. The spatial distribution of contamination implicates accelerated settling as an important fate for suspended oil, supports a patchwork mosaic model of oil deposition and frames ongoing attempts to determine the event’s impact on deep-ocean ecology.” ............. BP issued a statement saying the study was overblown. “The authors failed to identify the source of the oil, leading them to grossly overstate the amount of residual Macondo oil on the sea floor and the geographic area in which it is found,” a BP spokesman told AP. But Valentine and his team suggested the impact could be even more far-reaching. “We also suggest that a significant quantity of oil was deposited on the ocean floor outside this area but so far has evaded detection because of its heterogeneous spatial distribution,” the study said. AND see ClimateCentral.org for interactive maps including 150 Years in 30 Seconds: Sea Level Debt Sinking U.S. Cities and more!
NEXT at HuffPoAOL Torture Report Fight Erupts In Chaos ....... The White House's briefing to Democrats on immigration Thursday erupted instead into a confrontation over the Senate's classified torture report, Senate sources told The Huffington Post. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, waited for the immigration discussion to end and then pulled out a prepared speech that she read for five or six minutes, making the case for the release of the damning portrayal of America's post-9/11 torture program. "It was a vigorous, vigorous and open debate -- one of the best and most thorough discussions I've been a part of while here," said Sen. Chris Coons (D-Del.). Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), who served as intelligence committee chair before Feinstein, was furious after the meeting, and accused the administration of deliberately stalling the report. “It’s being slow-walked to death. They’re doing everything they can not to release it," Rockefeller told HuffPost. "It makes a lot of people who did really bad things look really bad, which is the only way not to repeat those mistakes in the future," he continued. "The public has to know about it. They don’t want the public to know about it." .............. Time is becoming a critical issue with regard to the report, as Republicans prepare to take control of the Senate in January. At that time, Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.) will replace Feinstein as head of the intelligence committee. “I’m concerned that there’s not a whole lot of sand left in this hourglass,” said Heinrich. "Until this report is unclassified in a way that doesn't expose people's identity, but where you can understand the narrative, our work will not be done. And we're not there yet." Heinrich, a member of the intelligence committee, compared the report to a story, arguing that it is impossible to follow without aliases or pseudonyms to guide a reader. "If you take all the names out of a novel, it becomes very hard to understand that novel's narrative arc," he said. "We don't need people's real names, but we need to understand why decisions were made, what decisions were made and what the ramifications are." Feinstein declined to discuss the meeting with reporters Thursday. "I ain't talkin'," she said. ................ Democrats aren't the only ones who want to see the report released. A number of Republicans, most of whom opposed the so-called "enhanced interrogation" techniques used at Guantanamo Bay and other facilities, also say America needs to come clean in order to restore its moral standing. ..................... The agency argues that while the names of the agents are not revealed, other information included in the report could easily lead the public and members of the press to discern who the panel is talking about. “Making public pseudonyms associated with such individual officers, as well as dates, locations and other identifying information related to those officers, dramatically increases the likelihood that they will be exposed and potentially subject to threats or violence,” Trapani continued. “A pseudonym itself is little protection from exposure when a host of other information about that officer is made available to the public through the report and will likely be seen by adversaries and foreign intelligence services.” But Heinrich dismissed that argument. "For decades, every oversight report we've ever done has used either aliases or pseudonyms, because they protect people's identity," he said. "So I think that's very weak ground to stand on." Rockefeller said that the administration itself is the one doing harm to the nation. "They're doing enormous damage to the country," he said. In a related matter The Daily Caller's Greg Campbell reports Lame Duck Sen. Udall Pressured To Leak CIA Report As Final Act In Office ........Activists are pressuring Udall, who returns to Washington next week to finish his term before handing his office to Republican Cory Gardner, to leak a Senate Intelligence Committee’s 6,300-page report on CIA torture practices that has only come out in a heavily redacted summary form. Those who are pushing him say there’s no reason for him not to — when his term ends, he’ll be leaving the committee anyway, and as a sitting member of Congress, he has immunity from prosecution for leaking classified material. “Udall has nothing to lose,” Trevor Timm, the director of the Freedom of the Press Foundation wrote Wednesday in an article for The Guardian. “He can’t get kicked off any committee he won’t be a part of in two months. And he can’t be prosecuted for revealing classified information as a member of Congress.” Udall has already been criticized for not using the privilege of his position to correct the record about NSA spying and CIA overreach that were revealed by former CIA contractor Edward Snowden. Instead, he and Sen. Ron Wyden, who also wants transparency in intelligence issues, have called for the report to be declassified through normal channels.......... With these comments falling on deaf ears, transparency advocates say Udall has only one choice left to do the right thing — either release the documents or read them into the congressional record from the floor of the Senate, as Sen. Mike Gravel of Alaska did in 1971 with the Pentagon Papers. “The problem is peer pressure,” Gravel told U.S. News and World Report. “He would have to go against the pressure of his colleagues who think it’s irresponsible to give out secrets.” ............
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT SCOTUS CHALLENGE: Jonathan H. Adler at the Case Western University School of Law, where he is the inaugural Johan Verheij Memorial Professor of Law and Director of the Center for Business Law and Regulation explains
Why did the court grant cert in King v. Burwell? Friday the U.S. Supreme Court granted certiorari in a high-profile Obamacare case, King v. Burwell. (Disclosure: I’m acredited/blamed for being one of the folks who outlined the theory upon which this lawsuit is based.) I posted a quick comment on the case grant earlier. With this post I wanted to briefly discuss the significance of the grant and revisit some of the points I made in Monday’s post on why the court might grant this case. .............. While I see King as a straightforward case of statutory interpretation, it unquestionably concerns an “important question of federal law,” as the resolution of this case could have a significant impact on the implementation of the PPACA, particularly in the 36 states that have not established their own exchanges. Indeed, the importance of the legal issue was one of the things highlighted by the federal government and commentators in urging the D.C. Circuit to hear the case en banc. An additional reason to take the case now is that this litigation creates substantial uncertainty about the operation of the law and, should the plaintiffs’ claims be upheld, policymakers, insurance companies, and those who would otherwise be eligible for subsidies will need time to figure out how to respond. This is one of the reasons all of the lower appellate courts to consider these claims have expedited their proceedings. They recognized that there are good reasons to treat these cases as more urgent and time-sensitive than the typical case. Further, while the D.C. Circuit’s decision to rehear Halbig en banc vacated the original panel’s judgment, the Court is aware that this is a question upon which courts are divided. Two panels on two different circuits reached different conclusions, and even the panel which sided with the government was not unanimous in its rationale. The existence of another decision rejecting the government’s position provides further reasons for the justices to suspect that this is an issue that will eventually land on their lap. So, if one combines the time-sensitive nature of the litigation with the reasonable possibility that the case would end up in the Court’s lap anyway, there’s reason enough to take the case.
MORE SCOTUS: SLATE.COM's Eric Segall is the Kathy & Lawrence Ashe professor of law at Georgia State University, a former trial attorney for the Justice Department, and the author of Supreme Myths: Why the Supreme Court Is Not a Court and Its Justices Are Not Judges now pens Supreme Court Justices Are Not Really Judges ......Sure, they wear black robes and they sit in a courtroom, but that is not enough to make them judges. Taking law seriously—as opposed to making decisions based mostly on personal values—is what distinguishes judges from other political officials. On that basis, Supreme Court justices are simply not judges. .............. If the justices really did act like judges, then perhaps our current judicial system would make sense. But given the reality, it is time to reconsider life tenure, ask the justices to perform their jobs with much more humility, place cameras in the court, and institute a nomination process in which senators demanded real answers to hard questions. .......... I do not claim the court always acts like Republicans or Democrats. I do claim the justices don’t act like judges bound by prior law, precedent, interpretive canons, or constitutional theory. The challenge to the mandate was just one more piece of evidence for that proposition, and the latest challenge, the one that is bothering Linda Greenhouse so much, is not different in kind than the first one. .........
GOPher WAR ON WOMEN STRONG IN OHIO: At ThinkProgress.org Tara Culp-Ressler tells us how Ohio Republicans Use Extreme Measures To Advance Radical Six Week Abortion Ban This week, Republican lawmakers in Ohio pulled out all the stops to advance an extreme anti-abortion bill in the state’s lame duck session. They added the legislation to the schedule at the last minute on Thursday morning, and even restructured a House committee — replacing the legislators who oppose the measure with different legislators who support it — to ensure the bill’s passage. HB 248, which now heads to a vote in the full House, would criminalize abortion after a fetal heartbeat can be detected, something that typically occurs around six weeks of pregnancy. That shaves off about 17 weeks from the window that women can access legal abortion services under Roe v. Wade. It’s also so early that many women may not even realize they’re pregnant at that point. ............ Reproductive rights groups are frustrated that abortion opponents would waste taxpayer dollars on risking a lawsuit. “It’s irresponsible for the legislature to entertain this legislation once again,” Stephanie Kight, the president of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Ohio, said in a statement. The far-right sponsors of the legislation, on the other hand, say they would welcome a legal challenge against Roe v. Wade — and that’s one of the primary reasons they want to pass the six-week ban in the first place.
On Thursday, they did everything in their power to make that happen. Rep. Lynn Wachtmann (R), one of the bill’s sponsors, told the Plain Dealer that three Republicans and one Democrat were changed on the Health and Aging Committee “to ensure the panel had enough members present and votes to give the bill initial approval.”
Going in the opposite direction Tara also notes France Just Passed A Sweeping Gender Equality Law To Make It Easier To Get An Abortion Women in France can now end a first-trimester pregnancy for any reason — and the full cost of the abortion will be financed by the government — under a sweeping new gender equality law approved on Tuesday. The new policy amends the country’s existing abortion law, which currently allows women to get an abortion only if they can prove they’re in “emotional distress.” The new abortion policy, which was proposed by the minister for women’s rights and has been debated among lawmakers since the beginning of this year, is just one of the measures in a broad package of legislation intended to strengthen gender equity in the country. The law also includes provisions to provide support for domestic abuse victims, improve women’s wages, encourage paternal leave and a more equal division of childcare, increase female representation in politics, and limit stereotypical images of women in the media. It represents the most comprehensive women’s rights legislation in the history of France. “I don’t believe that history is going to spontaneously take us forward, so going towards more equality needs us to be politically proactive,” France’s minister for women’s rights, Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, explained when the measure was first introduced. That proactive approach to women’s equality sharply diverges from the policies in much of the rest of the world, including the United States. ............... Read on! And lastly Esther Kaplan at The Nation finds Americans Are Working So Hard It’s Actually Killing People ............... The rise of HMOs and cost-cutting in the 1990s mean patients who are stable and ambulatory—some nurses call them “walkie-talkies”—are now quickly released, so those left in the hospital tend to be sicker and harder to care for. ................ And as technology has advanced, gravely ill patients who once would have died are now being kept alive, requiring constant care. But the crush of work these nurses face also exemplifies a hidden side of the recent economic recovery: in industry after industry, speedups are turning work into a hazard, with increasing numbers of injuries and dangerous levels of stress. While 18.6 million people remain underemployed, millions of others are working more hours, and more intensely, than ever. This is especially true in certain industries, from oil refineries to retail to publishing, where federal data shows labor productivity has risen at double or more the national rate. A 2010 survey of people registered with Monster.com found that 53 percent of respondents had taken on additional duties since the start of the recession because co-workers had been laid off—almost all of them without any additional compensation. A 2010 report from the Center for American Progress and the Hastings Center for WorkLife Law found that overwork was a particular problem among professionals: 14 percent of women and 38 percent of men were working more than fifty hours a week. But it has become common in industrial occupations as well. “When time and a half for overtime was established by federal law, that was really a job-creation measure, so it would cost less to hire a new worker,” says Mike Wright, the United Steelworkers’ director of health and safety. “But starting in the late 1970s, the cost of benefits exceeded that extra pay cost, and it became cheaper to work your existing workers harder.” ............... Take the meatpacking industry. By age 39, Juan Martinez, who worked at a Cargill beef processing plant near Omaha, had hands so disfigured from making repetitive cuts that he could no longer work; he is now surviving on disability. He still experiences pain so intense it feels like nails are being hammered into his fingers. .............. Line speeds in meatpacking and poultry are federally regulated for food safety only, not worker safety. Last year, the USDA proposed to raise the cap on poultry line speeds from 140 to an almost unimaginable 175 birds a minute, even though hand and wrist injuries were already rampant in the industry. A government study of one poultry plant in March of this year found that 41 percent of the workers already exceed safe limits for hand activity, and 42 percent showed evidence of carpal tunnel syndrome. ................ Speedups, like those at the plant or the hospital, have produced some of the most spectacular industrial disasters in recent years. The BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 was caused, in part, by intense production pressures that had entire crews working twelve-hour shifts without a single day off for weeks on end; hundreds of maintenance tasks, and a key cement inspection in the well that exploded, had been skipped to save time and money. The spill’s final effects on marine life and coastal communities may not be known for years. The catastrophic explosion at Massey Energy’s Upper Big Branch coal mine in West Virginia in 2010 killed twenty-nine people. Inspectors found that basic safety measures, such as controlling dust, had been routinely sacrificed in a relentless focus on the production of coal; one miner had even been suspended for sounding the alarm about poor ventilation—a factor in the explosion. A 2008 Las Vegas Sun investigation into a spate of construction-worker deaths on the Strip found that multibillion-dollar projects going up at a dizzying pace, with contractors facing steep penalties for missing deadlines, had made skipping basic safety practices routine. The Walmart driver who hit comedian Tracy Morgan in June, killing his companion, was speeding, according to police, and had not slept in twenty-four hours; he’d already been working for thirteen and a half hours (of a maximum of fourteen, a new federal cap) and may have been rushing to make his final delivery rather than taking the nap he desperately needed. But nowhere is the effect of worker speedups on the general population more evident than at hospitals like Wilkes-Barre. Numerous studies over the past decade have shown that higher patient-to-nurse ratios are strongly correlated with medical errors and worse health outcomes, including more patient deaths. ............... WOW! Read all of this! This week's Sunday Bobblehead shows will be up-in-arms about President Not Sure's new executive move on immigration so throw bricks at will! President Not Sure will have a one-on-one with George Snafugopolis too! We hope you have a great Turkey Day and try really hard not to go overboard on Black Friday and definitely DON'T shop at those stores that are open on Thursday already, since they are most certainly taking advantage of their already-underpaid workers. Be sure to scan all our regulars for more news and opinion! Click anything and be instantly smarter! See you next week!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Juan Gonzalez, Democracy Now! co-host and columnist at the New York Daily News Is Obama’s Immigration Plan Too Modest? Proposals Cover Less Than Half of Nation’s Undocumented
- Rosi Carrasco, member of Organized Communities Against Deportations & Ireri Unzueta Carrasco, an undocumented immigrant and recipient of the Deferred Action program Immigrant Rights Activists Vow to Continue Fighting Deportations as Obama Prepares Executive Order
- Naomi Klein, journalist and best-selling author Naomi Klein: Reject Keystone XL Pipeline, We Need Radical Change to Prevent Catastrophic Warming
- Rich Gross, Sierra Club guide since 1990 & Sabrina Shankman, reporter with the Pulitzer Prize-winning website, InsideClimate News Terror at the Top of the World: Is Climate Change Leading to More Attacks by Polar Bears in Arctic? ALSO WEB EXCLUSIVE Part 2: "Meltdown: Terror at the Top of the World" Links Polar Bear Attacks to Climate Change
- Montague Simmons, chair of the St. Louis-based Organization for Black Struggle & Jeff Smith, assistant professor of urban policy at The New School Return of the Ferguson War Zone? Missouri Enacts State of Emergency Ahead of Mike Brown Grand Jury
- Beverly Gage, professor of American history at Yale University The FBI vs. Martin Luther King: Inside J. Edgar Hoover’s "Suicide Letter" to Civil Rights Leader
- Peter Hart, activism director at the media watchdog group Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting No Debate: Antiwar Voices Absent from Corporate TV News Ahead of U.S. Attacks on Iraq & Syria See Hart's new report "Debating How — Not Whether — to Launch a New War"
- Amira Hass, Ha’aretz correspondent for the occupied Palestinian territories Jerusalem Unrest Threatens Wider Flare-Up After Deadliest Attack on Israeli Civilians in 3 Years
- Rashid Khalidi, Edward Said Professor of Arab Studies at Columbia University & Eran Efrati, former Israeli combat soldier turned anti-occupation activist "Palestinians Always Live in Fear": Jerusalem Killings Follow Months of Tensions, Settlement Growth
- Cyril Scott, president of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe in South Dakota & Suzanne Goldenberg, U.S. environment correspondent for The Guardian As Sioux Tribe Calls Keystone XL an "Act of War", TransCanada Hires PR Firm to Probe Critics
- Eric Holthaus, meteorologist who writes about weather and climate for Slate From Hottest October to Coldest November, Is Climate Change Behind the Extreme Weather?
- Gabriel London, independent filmmaker The Life and Mind of Mark DeFriest: New Film Captures Florida Prisoner’s Shocking Ordeal Behind Bars
- Bryan Stevenson, founder and director of the Equal Justice Initiative "Just Mercy": Bryan Stevenson on Ferguson, Prison Reform & Why the Opposite of Poverty is Justice ALSO WEB EXCLUSIVE PART 2: Bryan Stevenson on Executions and Civil Rights: "Lynching Stopped But the Mindset Didn't"
- Juan Gonzalez, Democracy Now! co-host, activist Maru Mora Villalpando & her seventeen-year-old daughter Josefina Mora Obama’s Action Marks Historic Victory for Immigrant Rights, But Activists Warn of a Long Way to Go
- Juan Carlos Ruiz, priest and co-founder of the New Sanctuary Movement As Mexicans Protest US-Fueled Drug War, Sanctuary Movement Backs Church Refuge for the Undocumented
- Gerardo Reyes-Chavez, farm worker and organizer with the Coalition of Immokalee Workers Food Chains: New Film Tracks How Immokalee Workers Won Fair Wages from Corporate Giants
- Viggo Mortensen, Academy Award-nominated actor Viggo Mortensen Helps Mark 10 Years of Howard Zinn’s "Voices of a People’s History"
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» VIDEO OF THE WEEK ACT UP Against Ebola: Organizing Against Fear Healthcare panic surrounding ebola seems familiar to activists of the ACT Up era. Should we focusing on science or sensationalism? Anne-christine d'Adesky and National Nurses United's Deborah Burger on GRITtv.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» SUNDAY FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA on NBC Cowboys @ Giants 8:30 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on ESPN Ravens @ Saints 8:30 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on CBS SPECIAL Jets @ Buffalo from Ford Field in Detroit 7 pm et »»» TURKEY DAY FOOTBALL! Bears @ Lions on CBS 12:30 pm et; Eagles @ Cowboys on FOX 4:30 pm et; Seahawks @ 49ers on NBC 8:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Tell the FCC: No Frankenstein Net Neutrality The FCC is considering a new plan that has the same big problems we’ve been protesting against all year. Tell the agency we’ll accept nothing less than REAL Net Neutrality. Just how bad is it? This new proposal: • Would allow broadband providers to cut specialized deals with companies to reach Internet users. • Still gives us slow lanes and gives users no real protection against discrimination from Internet service providers. • Rests on shaky legal arguments that won’t stand up in court. This isn't what millions of us have been fighting for. SIGN NOW at Tell Chairman Wheeler: No Frankenstein Net Neutrality at freepress.net NOW.
Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice. These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation! NEW!!! NATION ACTION! Stop the Comcast/Time Warner Cable Merger! GO THERE NOW!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! UPDATE! Legalize Democracy Film Premieres on Free Speech TV Jan 21 Move to Amend is thrilled to announce that the premiere of our mini documentary, Legalize Democracy, will be airing on Free Speech TV (FSTV) next week to coincide with the "anniversary" of Citizens United. Legalize Democracy is a 28 minute film by Dennis Trainor, Jr. about the movement to amend -- why it is needed, and how you can get involved. Watch live on our website here. Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Chelsea Manning Support Network Announcing the "Chelsea Manning Support Network" March 19, 2014. By CMSN. PVT Manning has filed to change her name legally to "Chelsea Elizabeth Manning" and to receive hormone therapy. To show our support in this struggle, we are renaming ourselves to the "Chelsea Manning Support Network." ..... UPDATE! Nov 18, 2014. The Amnesty International Interview with Chelsea Manning, "Why Speaking Out is Worth the Risk" AND Birthday Vigil for Chelsea Manning Nov 17, 2014. Chelsea Manning was sentenced to 35 years in August 2013. If this stands, she’ll be out in 2045. Take action in a vigil on Chelsea's birthday, Dec. 17th.........
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
Meet ABC News' Newest Contributor, Laura Ingraham 10 Moments That Illustrate The Right-Wing Radio Host's Fringe Viewpoints And Disdain For Civil Discourse - Ingraham has repeatedly engaged in inflammatory and hateful rhetoric, lobbing numerous attacks against everyone from President Obama to people who receive government assistance to her favorite target, immigrants. Here are 10 hateful moments from Ingraham in the past year...
• President Barack Obama
• ROUNDTABLE: Dr. Ben Carson, Democratic strategist James Carville, ABC News political analyst Matthew Dowd, and editor and publisher of The Nation Katrina vanden Heuvel.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• House Homeland Security Chairman Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas
• Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin, D-Ill.
• Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Ill.
• Rep. Raul Labrador, R-Idaho
• NAACP President Cornell William Brooks
• ROUNDTABLE: Susan Page of USA Today, David Ignatius and Michael Gerson of the Washington Post, Mark Leibovich of The New York Times Magazine and Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Fox 'News'-ification of CBS News and '60 Minutes': 'The Cleantech Crash'
• CBS' '60 Minutes' admits to faking Tesla car noise
• November Nov. 23 at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7 p.m. PT.
• Falling Apart
• A forgotten corner of hell
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host Chuck Todd
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture 07/15/12 — NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
All legal notices should be sent by mail to the editor-in-chief NBCNews.com, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052
• Sens. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., and Robert Menendez, D-N.J.
• former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani
• Anthony Gray, attorney for the Michael Brown family
• John Hofmeister, former CEO of Shell Oil
• author Daniel Yergin
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) Sunday at 9 am ET and Noon ET.
• Benghazi: Senator Lindsey Graham and committee member Rep. Adam Schiff
• Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum (R)
• Ferguson ROUNDTABLE: Princeton University Professor and activist Cornel West, NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund President Sherrilyn Ifill, Sojourners President Jim Wallis and LZ Granderson
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Prayer Meetin' Wednesday!! Über Pope/Rabbi/Imam Bob skewers the Religious Right! Listen here NOW! Wednesday, November 19th, 2014 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - November 20, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Record-breaking extreme winter storm breaks Buffalo, NY; It's official: October 2014 hottest October on record; Sorry, Republicans: China will cap coal use by 2020; PLUS: Obama doubles down on climate foreign policy... All that and more in today's Green News Report! ..... IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): NASA video: a year in C02; Senate climate hawks introduce 'carbon fee & dividend' legislation; Keystone XL PR company plans dirty tricks campaign; Criminal charges for illegal toxic mine dumping in Alaska; World must 'mind the carbon emissions gap' to avoid dangerous climate change; Why are US farmers getting billions in aid amid record crop yields? ... PLUS: San Diego to use recycled wastewater for new drinking water supply ... and much, MUCH more! ...
• 'Green News Report' - November 18, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Senate floor fight fails to pass Keystone XL pipeline; Can Congress override the President next year?; Native Americans say KXL is 'an act of war' and vow to fight the pipeline on their land; PLUS: Finally! Accountability for the 'Dark Lord of Coal': Don Blankenship indicted on criminal charges... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
• BRADCAST! KPFK 'BradCast': Greg Palast on the GOP 'Crosscheck'; Tomas Young in Crawford, TX (2005) Voter suppression and war crimes continue...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Not Voting IS a Vote Stop blaming those who didn't turn out. Americans did vote. By not turning out, they voted against the two major parties and against the system as a whole. It may have been a dumb vote, but it was a landslide...
• BRADCAST! VIDEO! Sanders on Colbert: Midterms a Vote Against Both Parties For those mad at us for asserting 'not voting IS a vote', look who just said the same thing...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Exclusive: St. Louis County Was Warned Before Election Paper Ballots Would Run Out Email obtained by BRAD BLOG reveals County's top election official ignored warnings from election experts, leading to shortages...
• BRADBLOG VIDEO! East Coast/West Coast Investigative Election Integrity Muckraking with Friedman and Palast on Hartmann TV!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Gag Order Won't Ensure Impartial Jury in Trial of 'Dark Lord of Coal Country' WV's criminally indicted coal boss and U.S. Chamber of Comm. director Don Blankeship presents challenge for federal prosecutors...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Extreme Weather? What Extreme Weather? Yes, scientists have been warning us about this for years. And, yes, the record breaking storm in Buffalo is tied to global warming...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! We're #26! Harvard 'Electoral Integrity' Report Dings U.S. 'World's Greatest Democracy' rated worst among Western nations; Ranked just below Micronesia, just above Mexico in overall list...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• 19 Nov 2014 PBC News & Comment: Lame-Duck Senate Rejects Watered-Down NSA Reform Overshadowed by Keystone vote, GOP senators use demagoguery to defeat mild reforms to NSA mass surveillance, phone metadata collection…..
• 20 Nov 2014 PBC News & Comment: CIA Tries to Re-Write Rules on Retaining Emails CIA plan to destroy emails draws challenge from Sens. Feinstein, Chambliss; attorney confirms secret hearing in Guantanamo force feeding case….
• 21 Nov 2014 PBC News & Comment: If You Were Undocumented, Would You Take Obama’s Offer? Obama unveils his long delayed immigration changes; if you were an undocumented resident, would you sign up for 3-year deferral?
• PBC Standard Podcast November 19, 2014 Enviro-journalist Mark Schapiro Sleuths the Impact of Climate Change and the Cost of Carbon Veteran environmental journalist Mark Schapiro talks about his new book, Carbon Shock and comments on Obama’s emissions deal with China, Keystone and related issues
• PBC Standard Podcast November 21, 2014 Re-Thinking Prisons and Incarceration with Truthout Editor Maya Schenwar Maya Schenwar, editor-in-chief of Truthout.org, talks about her new book about America’s prisons, Locked Down, Locked Out.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
• This Week on Ring of Fire November 14, 2014 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
»» Guests TBA
• This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! Posted on November 22, 2014 by Farron Cousins - Sundays at NOON!
»» Farron Cousins will be filling in for Mike Papantonio this week.
»» David Haynes will tell us how corporate greed and negligence have made our roadways a very hazardous place.
»» Timothy Karr, senior director of strategy for Free Press, will give us the latest on the ongoing battle for net neutrality.
»» Attorney Howard Nations explains how the growing gap between the haves and have nots is threatening our democracy.
»» Attorney David Hersh will tell us how the TPP could get fast tracked from the new GOP congress.
»» Peter Mougey will explain why the Securities and Exchange Commission is delaying rules and regulations that could help curb Wall Street crime.
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.” Also see Papantonio & Kennedy on Corporate Corruption and Fraud — Pt. 1/4
• VIDEO! Obama Takes Action on Immigration, Republicans Go Crazy (VIDEO) by Gary Bentley - When Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush took action on immigration, no one batted an eye. But when Obama does it, everyone just loses their minds.
Ring of Fire’s Sam Seder and author Cliff Schecter discuss this week’s immigration saga.
• VIDEO! SCOTUS Preparing to Gut Affordable Care Act (VIDEO) by Gary Bentley - Ring of Fire’s Sam Seder and former Ring of Fire co-host David Bender discuss the Supreme Court’s decision to hear a case titled King v. Burwell, which presents a challenge to the Affordable Care Act.
• Elizabeth Warren to FHFA Director: You Haven’t Helped a Single Family by Amy Eddings - At a Senate Banking Committee hearing yesterday, Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) pulled no punches when questioning Mel Watt, the new head of the Federal Housing Financing Agency. Sen. Warren asked why the FHFA hadn’t yet implemented principal reduction relief for millions of struggling homeowners even though it would be mutually beneficial.......
• More Dirty Dealings on Wall Street Revealed in The Wake of Secret Recordings by Joshua De Leon - Goldman Sachs has been found to have very close ties with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York following secret recordings leaked by a former regulator, reported The New York Times. The revolving door consists of former government employees, specifically those who work in financial regulation, being hired by the Wall Street banks that they were once charged with overseeing. A two-way street, former bankers also go work for the Fed. This relationship created a conduit by which banks can obtain confidential information held by the Fed, information that banks were never supposed to see. .............
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 11/17/14 Will GOP Kill Best Foreign Deal In Decades? & ShirtGate
• TUESDAY 11/18/14 Dahlia Lithwick: The Eliitism Poisoning the Supreme Court
• WEDNESDAY 11/19/14 Naomi Klein: This Changes Everything
• THURSDAY 11/20/14 Greisa Martinez: President Obama's Historic Move On Immigration
• FRIDAY 11/21/14 Casual Friday: Cliff Schecter & Isabel Gillies
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• WSJ Reports: Bank of North Dakota Outperforms Wall Street by Ellen Brown — While 49 state treasuries were submerged in red ink after the 2008 financial crash, one state’s bank outperformed all others and actually launched an economy-shifting new industry. So reports the Wall Street Journal this week, discussing the Bank of North Dakota (BND) and its striking success in the midst of a national financial collapse led by the major banks. Chester Dawson begins his November 16th article: It is more profitable than Goldman Sachs Group Inc., has a better credit rating than J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and hasn’t seen profit growth drop since 2003. Meet Bank of North Dakota, the U.S.’s lone state-owned bank, which has one branch, no automated teller machines and not a single investment banker. MORE!
• BREAKING: Dutch Central Bank Secretly Repatriates 130 Tonnes of Gold From the US! by The Doc — The Netherlands has repatriated about 130 tonnes of their gold reserves, according to a press release published by the central bank.
The gold was repatriated from the vaults of the Federal Reserve in New York back to the vault of ‘De Nederlandsche Bank’ in Amsterdam. This operation took several months and was done in complete secrecy. Click here for the full press release on this secret gold repatriation by the Dutch central bank ............
• Least Transparent Ever – Obama Administration Fighting to Prevent Release of C.I.A. Torture Report by Michael Krieger — If you’re already reading this site, you don’t need me to tell you how much of a fraud Barack Obama is. His love affair with cronyism and devotion to lack of transparency has been documented in countless venues for many years now. Nevertheless, his actions continue to do irreparable harm to the nation, and as much as it has become a tedious affair at times, highlighting his hatred for justice remains an important job…Read the rest HERE...........
• It’s Iraq 2.0! Biden dodges angry mob in Ukraine by Stacy Herbert — Stacy Summary: Another bunch of ungrateful foreigners. We deliver them freedom at the end of a drone strike and all we get in return . . .
• Sinead O’Connor calls for Non Violent Revolution in Ireland by Dublin Eileen — Briefly taking the chair on Ireland’s most watched chat show Sinead O’Connor spoke out about police violence towards women water protesters and called for a non violent revolution. The clip has been censored by RTE (Irish State Broadcaster) Read the rest here.
• KEISER REPORT [KR681] Keiser Report: Big Problem? Regulators! We discuss precious metals manipulation in Switzerland and the costs of the never-ending banking fraud – from the ‘suffering and life long risks’ to children in Europe and beyond to the rising cost of food hitting lower income consumers. In the second half Max interviews Alasdair Macleod of GoldMoney.com about gold, China, QE and the economy.
• KEISER REPORT [KR682] Keiser Report: Kim Kardashian’s Bottom as Model of UK Economy We discuss David Cameron doubling down on failure as ‘global recession looms.’ With a fair and balanced view at Cameron’s claims of ‘paying down government debt,’ we concede that national debt growing from £580 billion in 2007 to £1,400 billion today could, using certain accounting tricks, be seen as the shrinking debt load. In the second half Max interviews Reggie Middleton of BoomBustBlog.com and Ultra-Coin.com about the block chain, the tech sector and more.
• KEISER REPORT [KR683] Keiser Report: Cemented UK Generation We discuss the heavens being taken by force rather than by consensus as Podemos rises as a political force in Spain and, in the UK, students plead for David Cameron to be gentle with them. In the second half Max interviews John Mill Ackerman, law professor and editor-in-chief of the Mexican Law Review, about the protests in Mexico, the economic ‘reforms’ which partially led to the unrest and the new oil law and what it means for social programmes in Mexico.
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS The Truth About Markets – 28 June 2014 Stacy Summary: We talk about bogus collateral driving global housing bubbles. Download show HERE (mp3)
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday New show hours effective 5/26/2014 @ 12-3 PM Eastern! HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up (8:30 am pt - http://kpfk.org), and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream....... New show hours effective 5/26/2014: 12-3 PM Eastern!
• 10/28/14 Trita Parsi: Trita Parsi, president of the National Iranian American Council, discusses his article “How Congressional Hawks Plan to Kill Obama’s Iran Deal.”
• 11/17/14 Eric Margolis: Eric Margolis, a journalist and author of American Raj, discusses the confusing situation in Syria; the incoming Republican congressmen eager to do Israel’s bidding; and why Saudi Arabia is manipulating oil prices to damage Russia’s economy.
• 11/18/14 Jacob Hornberger: Jacob Hornberger, founder and president of The Future of Freedom Foundation, discusses how the United States lost the Cold War by adopting the totalitarian features of the Soviet Union; and how to better the economy by cutting the Pentagon’s budget and using the proceeds for productive purposes.
• 11/21/14 Gareth Porter: Gareth Porter, an independent journalist and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare, discusses the stalled nuclear negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 in Geneva, during a final round of talks before the November 24th deadline.
• 11/14/14 Trevor Timm: Jason Leopold, an investigative reporter for Vice News, discusses the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report on the CIA’s torture program during the Bush administration; the fight over which parts will be redacted; and when it might finally be released to the public.
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Sen Ted Cruz (R-TX), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee
• Rep Xavier Becerra (D-CA), Chairman of the House Democratic Caucus
• exas Attorney General and Governor-elect Greg Abbott (R)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml