Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below! DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks! First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
Brick TeeVee's Turkey Day Leftovers!
Mark Twain once quipped, “A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.” So it is with Republicans outraged by Obama's plan on his executive actions on immigration. TheHill.com's Rebecca Shabad notes “The president is throwing this nation into a crisis and we have an obligation to do our duty, here, and in the Senate,” Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) told reporters. Obama purposely timed the announcement, King said, to coincide with lawmakers leaving Washington Thursday for Thanksgiving recess. King said he’s staying behind in Washington to deal with the issue. ............ Some Republicans expressed frustration that Obama invited only Senate and House Democrats to dinner Wednesday evening to huddle before the announcement. Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.) said the fact that Republicans were not invited signals that Obama is creating “the beginning of a political campaign” that provokes “partisan warfare” and not a bipartisan agreement. “Why would you do this on the eve of Thanksgiving, going into holidays, unless you want to create a political fight?" Cole asked. "I mean I’m mystified by the political calculus." Republicans should have been included in Wednesday’s dinner, said Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.). “I think that’s endemic of how the president has run his office,” she said. “He has been unwilling to reach out to Republicans.” Bachmann called Obama “cynical” for issuing the order after the midterm elections when so many Democrats faced tight reelection races. ................. While Rep. Steve Stivers (R-Ohio) said he’s “bothered when somebody tries to pass laws through executive actions,” he said it’s not worth another government shutdown. “I don’t advocate that. I think that is a mistake,” he said..... Yeah and it gets even worse as Republicans challenge Obama’s executive actions, file lawsuit over Obamacare reports Wapo's Katie Zezima and Robert Costa ............. Back in Washington, Republicans were launching their own assaults, announcing that the House GOP had filed a lawsuit challenging the implementation of the 2010 health-care law and promising to turn back the immigration effort. “We’re working with our members and looking at the options available to us,” said House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), “but I will say to you the House will, in fact, act.” ................ The suit, which was approved by House Republicans four months ago, was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia. It will be led by Jonathan Turley, a law professor at the George Washington University Law School, who is the third legal adviser to handle the case. In recent weeks, some Republicans have pushed for including the immigration order in the lawsuit against the president. Instead, Boehner promised action in the House to counter Obama’s plans. “The House has an obligation to stand up for the Constitution, and that is exactly why we are pursuing this course of action.” .................. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), a leading opponent of the president’s action and the likely incoming chairman of the budget committee, accused Obama of refusing to enforce the law and promised to use budgetary measures to prevent funding for the implementation of the new immigration rules. Speaking Friday at the Heritage Foundation, Sessions said such action was necessary because Obama “granted amnesty to 5 million people, and he did it by basically saying, ‘I’m not going to enforce the laws of the United States of America.’ " .................Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said in an interview Friday that a growing group of Senate Republicans is coalescing around a more tempered rebuttal to the president: passing a series of standalone immigration bills in the coming months and demonstrating to voters that the party can govern. “Put legislation on the president’s desk,” Flake said. “We could do bills on border security, interior enforcement, mandatory E-Verify, and address high-tech workers and guest workers.” ............ Obama essentially blamed Boehner for not allowing an immigration bill to come to the House floor. “I cajoled and I called and I met. I told John Boehner, I’ll wash your car, I’ll walk your dog — whatever you need to do, just call the bill. That’s how democracy is supposed to work. And if the votes hadn’t been there, then we would have had to start over. But at least give it a shot — and he didn’t do it.” Click that link for Jonathan Turley! Some of you may recall Turley as a regular guest on Keith Olbermann's MSNBC show "Countdown". He's been against the ever-increasing "executive powers" since those broadcasts during the Reign of Dim Son. Lots at his blog too at jonathanturley.org.
NOT SO FAST BONER & TURLEY. Sarah Jones at PoliticusUSA.com reports Republicans Wrong: 135 Legal Scholars Say Obama’s Immigration Actions Are Constitutional Republicans are wrong again, so say over 100 legal scholars. President Obama acted Constitutionally and within the powers of his office when he took immigration action. Jim Kuhnehn reported for the AP, “More than 100 immigration professors and scholars declared Tuesday that President Barack Obama’s decision to make several million immigrants illegally in the United States eligible to be spared from deportation is constitutional and within his administrative powers.” That’s 135 scholars for anyone who’s counting. And they all say that President Obama’s immigration actions are well within the legal authority of the executive branch. The lawyers published their conclusion in a letter, updated from a September 3, 2014 letter sent by 136 law professors to the White House on the role of executive action in immigration law. Our conclusion is that the expansion of the DACA program and the establishment of Deferred Action for Parental Accountability are legal exercises of prosecutorial discretion. Both executive actions are well within the legal authority of the executive branch of the government of the United States. It’s not as if this is news to those who operate in reality land, but this is news for those deeply entrenched in the alternative universe/contagious disease that is Republicanitis. Seeing as every modern president since Eisenhower has done this including Republican former President Ronald Reagan, Republicans look foolish and petty the more they screech about Obama. ................ 135 legal scholars V Republicans. But wait. Republicans claim that it’s different when Obama does it because the scope is so broad. What say the scholars? They disagree. The broad scope does not impact prosecutorial discretion. Oh. Further, the scholars cited the fact that federal courts “also explicitly recognized prosecutorial discretion in general and deferred action in particular. Notably, the U.S. Supreme Court noted in its Arizona v. United States decision in 2012: ‘A principal feature of the removal system is the broad discretion exercised by immigration officials.'” Keep in mind that Republicans also don’t “believe” in climate change, science, medicine, reality, and much more. They base monetary policy on a fictional character’s monologue in a book written for juvenile teenage boys. Reality is a stranger to Republicans these days. So it should come as no surprise that they are wrong again, because they once again denied reality. The reality is, Barack Obama is the President of the U.S. He’s in his second term. The people wanted him a lot more than they wanted the Republican alternatives, in both elections. But we are six years in, and Republicans are still whining daily like perpetual sore losers who refuse to take responsibility for their own failures. Good one Sarah! Spot on! For more GOPher whining one needs only to visit last week's Sunday Funnies how quickly the GOPhers got THEIR "truth" out pre-empting the Real Truth still putting on its shoes. But we at Brick TeeVee are all over it! A week late haha! For more on the alternate reality that is "Republicanitis" we go to Chicken Noodle News's Sara Fischer Sen. Lindsey Graham: GOP-led Benghazi report is 'full of crap' Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, has some harsh words for the recently released Benghazi report, led by his own party. "I think the report is full of crap," Graham told Gloria Borger on CNN's "State of the Union" on Sunday. "I don't believe that the report is accurate, given the role that Mike Morell (deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency at the time) played in misleading the Congress on two different occasions. Why didn't the report say that?" ........... "That's a bunch of garbage," Graham said. "That's a complete bunch of garbage." ............... "When Susan Rice was on television after the attack, she said on three different occasions the consulate was strongly, and significantly secure," Graham said. "Nothing could be further than that from the truth, and there's nothing in the talking points about the level of security." ....... "Anybody who has followed Benghazi at all knows that the CIA deputy director did not come forward to tell Congress what role he played in changing the talking points and the only way we knew he was involved is when he told a representative at the White House," Graham said. .......... "I'm going to do a hard review of this." Key word there is "hard" for Senator Lindsey "still in the closet" Graham haha! Mr. Graham certainly lives in his own reality as EVERY probe, study, commission and report has said basically the same thing! We're pretty sure FactCheck.org's Benghazi Timeline won't change the mind of Senator "I do my own makeup" Graham. Another journalist who won't be changing the mind of Senator "do I look fat in this suit" Graham and his neocon buddies is Robert Parry at ConsortiumNews.com Possible Motives for Ousting Hagel The abrupt resignation of Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel – along with the failure to reach a final agreement on Iran’s nuclear program on the same day – does not augur well for the last quarter of Barack Obama’s presidency, reflecting his continuing tendency to let the neocons have their way. Not that Hagel had distinguished himself as a sterling leader of the Pentagon – nor has all hope disappeared that a sensible resolution of the impasse with Iran might be achieved before the next “deadline” in June – but Obama still does not appear to have escaped the spell of the neocons who continue to dominate American geopolitical thought despite the bloody disasters that they helped cause in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere. Six years into his presidency, Obama still doesn’t seem to understand that just because some people have impressive credentials doesn’t mean they know what they’re doing. Indeed, in a profoundly corrupted system – like the one that now controls Official Washington – rewards are handed out to people who serve the corrupt interests or at least don’t get in the way. In a time of corruption, the countervailing forces of wisdom and courage will never be found among the credentialed, but rather among the outcasts of the establishment, those who were forced to the margins because they objected to the venality, because they stood up against misguided “group think.” .................. The tragedy of Obama is that I’m told that he understands the stupidity of the modern U.S. establishment and does sometimes consult with “realists” who offer practical advice for how he can resolve some of the most nettlesome problems facing the United States around the world. But he does so virtually in secret, with what politicians like to call “deniability.” Obama operates one foreign policy above the table – pounding his fist along with the neocons against Syria, Iran and Russia – and another foreign policy below the table, dealing with adversaries in ways necessary to confront global challenges, such as collaborating with Iran to counter the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria and with Russia to address challenges with Iran, Syria, Libya and elsewhere. Yet, while keeping such pragmatic overtures under the table, Obama reaches out publicly to neocons who have been implicated in some of the worst disasters in the history of U.S. foreign policy — but who have “credentials.” ................................... You might think that the only reason to invite one of the Iraq War architects to the White House would be as a “sting operation” to arrest him and trundle him off to The Hague for prosecution for war crimes. After all, the justices at the post-World War II Nuremberg Tribunals deemed aggression – starting an unprovoked war – “the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.” And we have certainly seen that “accumulated evil” get unpacked. Yet, Obama courted Kagan as a respected “equal,” according to one source familiar with the behavior of the two men at lunch. Although as a journalist I try not to react viscerally to what I hear, the phrase “a meeting of equals” brought the taste of vomit to the back of my throat. ...................... Even as a twice-elected president, Obama seems captive to this high regard for people with credentials, even when the system awarding those credentials daily demonstrates its extraordinary levels of corruption, cruelty and outright stupidity. Which brings us back to the apparently forced resignation of Chuck Hagel, who earned the enmity of Official Washington because he was an early Republican turning against the Iraq War and because he offered some mild criticism of the Israel Lobby. ................... There’s also the neocon desire for a new Cold War with Russia over Ukraine. It’s possible that Hagel, a Vietnam veteran who understands the ugliness of war and has no fondness for the neocons, is being sidelined because he isn’t willing to throw more young American men and women into the blood and horror of more neocon-inspired adventures, not to mention wasting hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayers’ money............. Read more at consortiumnews.com! NEXT Our Man in Pipelineistan Asia Times' PEPE ESCOBER explains how Washington plays Russian roulette These are bleak times. I've been in serious conversation with some deep sources and interlocutors - those who know but don't need to show off, privileging discretion. They are all deeply worried. This is what one of them, a New York strategic planner, sent me:
- The propaganda attack against Putin equating him with Hitler is so extreme that you have to think that the Russians cannot believe their ears and cannot trust the United States anymore under any circumstances. I cannot believe how we could have gotten ourselves into this situation to protect the looters in the Ukraine that Putin would have rid the Ukraine of, and even had the gall to place in a leadership role one of the worst of the thieves. But that is history. What is certain is that MAD [mutually assured destruction] is not a deterrent today when both sides believe the other will use nuclear weapons once they have the advantage and that the side that gains a decisive advantage will use them. MAD is now over.
- “Wall Street’s massive involvement in physical commodities puts our economy, our manufacturers and the integrity of our markets at risk,” said Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., the subcommittee’s chairman. “It’s time to restore the separation between banking and commerce and to prevent Wall Street from using nonpublic information to profit at the expense of industry and consumers.”......... Goldman didn’t just store aluminum; it was involved in massive trades of aluminum at the same time its warehouse operations were affecting aluminum availability, storage costs, and prices. After Goldman bought Metro, it accumulated massive aluminum holdings of its own, and in 2012, added about 300,000 metric tons of its own aluminum to the exit queue at its warehouses. ..........
Michael Brown shooting: Protests against Ferguson grand jury decision spread across America The news that a grand jury had declined to indict the police officer who shot and killed 18-year-old Michael Brown last August ignited instant unrest on the streets of Ferguson, Missouri, but more peaceful protests were also taking place in cities all across the country and in Washington DC. Even as electronic billboards showed the usual commercial cornucopia of retail temptations, Times Square was closed down to vehicle traffic by New York police as hundreds jammed in to express their own disquiet at the ruling. Protests were also being held in Baltimore and Boston. In Washington DC an estimated crowd of 300 people marched towards the White House within moments of President Barack Obama going before the nation on live television urging calm and restraint. Protest chants heard in the nation’s capital included, “Black lives matter”. New York City also saw a spontaneous protest by roughly 200 people in Union Square, some brandishing signs with messages like “Jail killer cops.” At one point, marchers knocked down police barriers in the square, which is close to New York University, and started making their way into the West Village and then north towards Times Square with police helicopters hovering overhead. Similar scenes were meanwhile being reported from cities as far apart as Philadelphia in Pennsylvania and Oakland, California....... And right here in Da Cleve a rookie cop shot a 12-year-old boy within seconds of arriving at the scene. The boy was "armed with" a "realistic-looking" toy gun. We find an AP report on abcnews.go.com Cleveland Crowd Protests Over Boy Shot by Police Several hundred people marched down an exit ramp and temporarily blocked rush-hour traffic on a busy freeway on Tuesday while protesting a police officer's fatal shooting of a 12-year-old boy who had brandished a realistic-looking novelty gun. Police diverted traffic but didn't take action against the protesters, who chanted phrases such as "Hands up, don't shoot" and "No justice, no peace" as they sat in a major intersection before marching past City Hall and onto state Route 2. The protesters were demonstrating after the death of Tamir Rice, who was shot Saturday when police responded to a 911 call about a gun at a playground. Police later determined Tamir had an airsoft gun, which typically shoots tiny plastic pellets. The demonstration came as protesters across the country blasted a grand jury's decision not to indict a white police officer who killed an unarmed black teenager in Ferguson, Missouri. Cleveland police Chief Calvin Williams was observing and conferring with officers about the local protest but declined to immediately comment. The crowd blocked the freeway for about an hour before returning to a downtown square, where it dispersed. The demonstrators passed by the Cuyahoga County jail, causing inmates to bang on their windows. Among the protesters was 17-year-old Naesha Pierce, who said she had stayed up until 3 a.m. watching television news coverage from Ferguson, where people marched in streets, destroyed police cars and set businesses on fire. "The system wasn't made to protect us," she said. "To get justice, the people themselves have to be justice." The crowd included people of various races and groups of students from at least three area colleges. "This is the way our democracy is supposed to work, to come out and express your opinions," Mike Brickner, senior policy director for ACLU of Cleveland, said as the protesters demonstrated near Public Square. Attorneys for Tamir's family have asked police to release the complete surveillance video of the confrontation between him and the officer. Police allowed the family's attorneys to watch the video on Monday but haven't released it publicly. Officials noted that the video is considered evidence and said they wanted to be sensitive to the family, the community and the officer, whom they described as distraught. Police say Tamir was told to raise his hands but pulled what appeared to be a handgun from his waistband. Police say the video is clear, but they wouldn't discuss details of what it shows. City officials planned to hold a public forum Tuesday evening at a recreation center close to where Tamir was shot. Cleveland.com has some photos of the action Cleveland protestors take over Public Square and Memorial Shoreway. They also have Five takeaways from community forum about police shooting of Tamir Rice & Five takeaways from protest held in wake of release of Tamir Rice shooting video and you can Watch the surveillance video released by Cleveland Police plus view The Tamir Rice shooting: A timeline of events.
FEDERAL INVESTIGATION? Jeremy Diamond at Chicken Noodle News tells us Holder: Federal Ferguson investigation will continue Attorney General Eric Holder said Monday night that a federal civil rights investigation into the shooting of Michael Brown will continue despite a St. Louis County grand jury's decision to not indict Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson. Holder noted that federal civil rights cases have a "high legal bar," but said federal investigators have "resisted forming premature conclusions." "Though we have shared information with local prosecutors during the course of our investigation, the federal inquiry has been independent of the local one from the start, and remains so now," Holder said in a statement. "Even at this mature stage of the investigation, we have avoided prejudging any of the evidence." He added that the Justice Department is also still investigating allegations of misconduct by the Ferguson Police Department........
PROSECUTOR AS DEFENSE ATTORNEY? A long time ago an attorney friend once told us two things you need to know about criminal court: 1. All cops lie. 2. All judges believe all cops. And added, "People come to court looking for justice. What they get is Just Us." So ThinkProgress tells us Experts Blast Ferguson Prosecutor’s Press Conference, Legal Strategy ..............Ben Trachtenberg, an associate professor of law at the University of Missouri School of Law, said the entire announcement “read like a closing argument for the defense,” while Susan McGraugh, an associate professor at the Saint Louis University School of Law, said she was “furious” when she watched it. “Bob McCulloch took a very defensive posture,” McGraugh said. “It was a poor choice to be so confrontational in presenting a grand jury verdict that he had to know would upset a large number of people. He should have left out the editorializing.” Marjorie Cohn, a professor of criminal law and procedure at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, said the way McCulloch presented the facts to the public was unlike anything she had ever seen. “In 98 percent of cases, the prosecutor would just announce the grand jury decision and that’s it,” she said. “He would not characterize the evidence defensively, or attack the media.” ........... “The prosecutor did not want an indictment, and he passed the buck to the grand jury to make that decision,” said Cohn, who is also a former president of the National Lawyers’ Guild. “It was clear the prosecutor was partisan in this case, and not partisan in the way prosecutors usually are, which is to get people indicted.” ............... “[McCulloch] put the grand jury in the role of being a trier of fact, which is not its role,” Cohn said. “The grand jury was put in the position of basically being a jury, but in a one-sided, closed proceeding. The only people inside the grand jury room are the grand jury and prosecutors.” In contrast, she said, “In a trial, there are lawyers on both sides, witnesses, and the evidence is presented in an adversarial way.” Making the grand jury weigh evidence and question witnesses also shrouded that process in secrecy—a factor that led to the “rampant speculation” McCulloch criticized in Monday’s night press conference, McGraugh said. “People could do nothing but speculate because he was using a secret grand jury proceeding,” she said. “He didn’t acknowledge that people had to speculate as a result of his own actions.” She added that even within the realm of grand jury proceedings, the case spoke to a lack of “equal treatment under law.” “The law was not applied to Officer Wilson the same way it would be applied to someone who wasn’t a police officer,” said McGraugh, who previously worked as a trial attorney and spent eight years at the Missouri State Public Defender’s Office. “If my client killed someone tomorrow and claimed it was in self-defense, he would be arrested and required to post bond while awaiting a grand jury decision. Then, the prosecutor would not be allowed to bring both sides of the story into the building.” NEXT WATCH THE PAP ATTACK on RT's "Breaking the Set" Tuesday on Ferguson Ferguson: Riot double-standard, smoke & mirrors grand jury, activists demand accountability Abby Martin discusses the coverage of the Ferguson protests following the news that Officer Darren Wilson won’t be indicted for the killing of teenager Michael Brown, and how it compares to the portrayal of riots over sports events and festivals. RT’s Alexey Yaroshevsky talks about the mood of the community following a night of both peaceful protest and destruction. Two activists on the ground in Ferguson, Zaki Baruti, president of the Universal African People’s Organization and Casandra Fairbanks from the Free Thought Project, say what the mainstream media has missed in its coverage. The use of tear gas on protesters, despite the fact that it’s an internationally banned chemical weapon. Finally, the legal aspects of the case with attorney and co-host of Ring of Fire radio, Mike Papantonio.
Spend a good hour with Thom Hartmann's The Big Picture Full Show 11/26/14: Why We Fight with Our Siblings Over the Holidays In tonight's “Conversations with Great Minds" Thom talks with the Center for America’s Future Richard Eskow, host of “The Zero Hour” radio show. Tonight’s “Geeky Science” looks at the science of why we fight with our siblings over the holidays and in tonight’s “Green Report” we air “Green World Rising,” the third in a series of climate change documentaries narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio and presented by Thom Hartmann.
WALLY WORLD BLACK FRIDAY ACTION! Go to BlackFridayProtests.org for info! And go to TheGuardian.com for Black Friday: protests at Walmart stores and 'shutdown' in St Louis – as it happened. We hope you had enough sense to stay away from the malls and all those stores that opened early on Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is Cyber Monday and if you're going to shop on-line make sure you go directly to the merchants you support instead of the growing evil that is Amazon. Our own BTV Contributor jen has this Jim Hightower rant at NationOfChange.org for our Brick TeeVee LAST WORD: Amazon is Crushing Main Street and Threatening the Vitality of Our Communities Even by the anything-goes ethical code of the corporate jungle, Amazon.com’s CEO, Jeff Bezos, is considered a ruthless predator by businesses that deal with him. He has the monopoly power to stalk, weaken and even kill off retail competitors — from giants as Barnes & Noble and Wal-Mart, to hundreds of small Main Street shops. If you think “predator” is too harsh a term, consider the metaphor that Bezos chose when explaining how to approach small book publishers to make them cough up ever-deeper discounts: stalk them “the way a cheetah would pursue a sickly gazelle.” Amazon’s zip-zip, direct-to-customer Internet business structure ripped right through the segmented system of publishers, wholesalers, distributors, bookstores and big-box retailers — and quickly became a monopolistic powerhouse. Today, this one corporation sells a stunning 40 percent of all new books, up from 12 percent five years ago. With his market clout, deep-pocket financing and ferocious price-cutting, Bezos has forced hundreds of America’s independent bookstores to close, which depletes the economic and cultural vitality of the communities they served. The online carnivore has also devastated the haughty superstore book chains that only a short time ago preyed on the local independents and dominated the market. Borders, the second-largest chain, couldn’t keep up with Amazon’s pace, succumbing to bankruptcy in 2011. Now, Barnes & Noble, the largest brick-and-mortar bookstore, is stumbling. ................... Without actually “being” anywhere and without hiring any sales clerks, Amazon is now a top seller of such consumer goods as baby products, jewelry, groceries, sports equipment, cosmetics, auto parts, pet supplies, luggage, kitchen gadgets, musical instruments, garden tools, etc. Central to the business plan that Bezos drew up in 1994 was a loophole he’d found in a Supreme Court ruling just two years earlier: If a retailer has no physical presence in a state, it need not collect sales taxes. So, he has emphatically insisted from the start that Amazon’s only facility is its headquarters in Washington State. Up until recently, Amazon was not collecting sales tax in 49 states (21 states have now closed the “Amazon loophole”). To understand that impact of not paying sales taxes, let’s look at my home state of Texas, where the sales tax rate is 8.15 percent. By claiming to be exempt, Amazon gets a price subsidy of more than eight cents on every dollar of its sales — more than the entire profit margin of most independent shops! Amazon’s devious tax ploy has been key to its ability to underprice our hometown retailers, forcing so many of them out of business. But the tax dodge also shortchanges our communities by eliminating billions of dollars in annual tax revenues that cities and states desperately need for schools, infrastructure, parks and other public services. Amazon’s calculated ruthlessness toward employees, suppliers and competitors must be publicly scorned and rejected. This is going to be up to us grassroots folks. We need to let more people know what’s going on behind that jazzy website, for Amazon is insidious, far more dangerous and destructive to our culture’s essential values of fairness and justice than even Wal-Mart would dream of being. To support the locally owned businesses in your community, visit the American Independent Business Alliance at www.amiba.net. Well said Mr. Hightower! Heed his warning! The only thing über-capitalists like Bezos understands is MONEY and his ilk is out to get ALL of YOURS! Several of our regulars routinely link to Amazon (Majority Report, Ring of Fire Radio, Scott Horton) so send them Hightower's screed and tell them to stop supporting Amazon and begging for nickels from Bezos (we have already, several times) and tell them you will NOT "click through" from their websites anymore. Also Read MoJo's Mac McClelland's First Hand Account of her "brief, backbreaking, rage-inducing, low-paying, dildo-packing time inside the online-shipping machine" I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave. And we at BTV screen for links in stories (especially books) and make sure we point to the author's or the publisher's webpage instead of the now obiquitious amazon click-thru links. If you want a good book for a gift we highly recommend buying from alibris.com where new & used books can be purchased from mom-n-pop retailers from all over including rare and out-of-print titles too! READ MORE and TURN OFF THE TEEVEE! Not much to report on the Sunday Funnies this week as it's a bunch of ideologues, has-beens and back-benchers (what's new?) giving us the same old "Washington Consensus" and a lot of hot air and commercials in between. PROGRAMMING NOTE: Free Speech TV has replaced "The Big Picture" with "UPRISING with Sonali" in that time slot but if you have DISHTV you can watch "The Big Picture" and other cool shows on RT America on Channel 280! We wish you safe, sane, secure cyber shopping tomorrow (if you're into that) and have a great week!
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
- Dr. Hakim, a peace activist and physician who has provided humanitarian relief in Afghanistan & Kathy Kelly of Voices for Creative Nonviolence After Vowing to End Combat Mission in Afghanistan, Obama Secretly Extends America’s Longest War
- Robert King, member of the Angola 3 who spent 29 years in solitary confinement for a murder he did not commit & Carine Williams, attorney for Albert Woodfox Longest-Serving U.S. Prisoner in Solitary Ordered Free Again, But State Obstruction Bars His Release
- Furguson Grand Jury Verdict Reaction Black Lives Matter: Ferguson Erupts After Grand Jury Clears Officer in Michael Brown Killing
- Vincent Warren, Executive Director of the Center for Constitutional Rights "It is Officially Open Season on Black Folks": Legal Expert Decries Handling of Wilson Grand Jury
- Rev. Osagyefo Sekou of the Fellowship of Reconciliation & Jelani Cobb, director of the Africana Studies Institute at the University of Connecticut Riot as the Language of the Unheard: Ferguson Protests Set to Continue In Fight For Racial Justice
- Tory Russell, one of the founders of the group Hands Up United "This Country Values Property Over People": Ferguson Activist Speaks Out as Protests Spread
- Benjamin Crump, attorney for family of Michael Brown & Rev. Al Sharpton, civil rights leader Rev. Sharpton: Legacy of Civil Rights Movement Shows Need for Feds to Bring Justice if State Fails
- James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Mickey Schwerner, the three civil rights workers who were killed 50 years ago Mississippi Burning: As Ferguson Erupts, Obama Honors Civil Rights Activists Slain By Klan in 1964
- Ricky Jackson, Ohio man freed from prison after spending 39 years behind bars for a crime he didn’t commit "I Didn’t Know What the Sky Looked Like Any More": Ricky Jackson Exonerated After 39 Years in Jail
- MIT Professor Noam Chomsky In U.N. Speech, Noam Chomsky Blasts United States for Supporting Israel, Blocking Palestinian State In this holiday special, we broadcast the words of world-renowned political dissident Noam Chomsky, who recently spoke in the hall of the U.N. General Assembly at an event sponsored by the United Nations Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People. I followed with a public interview.
- Chomsky Interviewr Noam Chomsky at United Nations: It Would Be Nice if the United States Lived Up to International Law
- Isabel Allende, Chilean-American novelist who has just been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom Novelist Isabel Allende on Her Literary Career and Memories of Chile During the CIA-Backed Coup In a holiday special, we spend the hour with Isabel Allende, one of Latin America’s and the United States’ greatest novelists.
GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders »»» VIDEO OF THE WEEK ACT UP Against Ebola: Organizing Against Fear Healthcare panic surrounding ebola seems familiar to activists of the ACT Up era. Should we focusing on science or sensationalism? Anne-christine d'Adesky and National Nurses United's Deborah Burger on GRITtv.
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!© »»» SUNDAY FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA on NBC Broncos @ Chiefs 8:30 pm et »»» MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL on ESPN Dolphins @ Jets 8:30 pm et »»» THURSDAY NBA DOUBLEHEADER ON TNT CAVS @ Knicks on 8 pm et then Pelicans @ Warriors 10:30 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!© The 1st Amendment is Our Permit Our permit to occupy is The First Amendment. Quickly sign the following statement which will be delivered to mayors, police chiefs and major media across the country:
- Our permit to occupy public squares and parks is in The First Amendment, which affirms "the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." When people across the Middle East occupied public squares, leaders in Washington mostly cheered those protesters and warned Middle Eastern governments not to use force to clear them. Those other societies don’t have a First Amendment. Yet Washington affirmed the universal right to assembly and protest. We do have a First Amendment. The force being used to clear nonviolent protesters from public squares in our country is unacceptable. It must stop.
StrikeDebt.org & RollingJubilee.org! A bailout of the people by the people Rolling Jubilee is a Strike Debt project that buys debt for pennies on the dollar, but instead of collecting it, abolishes it. Together we can liberate debtors at random through a campaign of mutual support, good will, and collective refusal. Debt resistance is just the beginning. Join us as we imagine and create a new world based on the common good, not Wall Street profits. ADDENDUM: Naked Capitalism reports Top Tax Expert Confirms Our Doubts About Occupy Wall Street’s Debt Buying/Forgiveness Scheme
Community-Wealth.org community-wealth.org a project of the Democracy Collaborative at the University of Maryland Community-Wealth.org brings together, for the first time, information about the broad range of community wealth building activity. Featuring Overview: The Cleveland Model—How the Evergreen Cooperatives are Building Community Wealth Something important is happening in Cleveland. The Democracy Collaborative—the host of C-W.org—in partnership with the Cleveland Foundation, the Ohio Employee Ownership Center, Shorebank Enterprise Cleveland, the City of Cleveland, and the city's major hospitals and universities—is helping to implement a new model of large-scale worker-owned and community-benefiting businesses. The Evergreen Cooperative Initiative is beginning to build serious momentum in one of the cities most dramatically impacted by the nation's decaying economy. Increasingly, this model is being referred to nationally as The Cleveland Model. Initial planning is now underway to assist other cities in Ohio and nationwide to replicate and adapt this innovative approach to economic development, green job creation, and neighborhood stabilization. Find more many resources at Community-Wealth.org!
NET NEUTRALITY! SaveTheInternet.com Declaration of Internet Freedom Tired of fighting bad bills like SOPA, PIPA and CISPA? Want to stand up against those who are trying to control what we do and say online? It's time for something different. A group of more than 1,500 organizations, academics, startup founders and tech innovators has come together to produce a Declaration of Internet Freedom, a set of five principles that put forward a positive vision of the open Internet. Our goal: Get millions of Internet users to sign on to this Declaration. Build political power for Internet users to make sure that we get a seat at the table whenever, and wherever, the future of the Internet is being decided. It's time to stop playing defense and start going on the offensive. The open Internet is central to people’s freedom to communicate, share, advocate and innovate in the 21st century. But powerful interests want to censor free speech, block the sharing of information, hinder innovation and control how Internet users get online. And all too often, people in power are making political decisions behind closed doors about how the Internet should operate — and they're doing this without the involvement of actual Internet users. The result: policies that could close down the open Internet and destroy our freedom to connect. It’s time for us to reclaim the Internet for its users. Take action now and sign the Declaration of Internet Freedom. ACTION! Tell the FCC: No Frankenstein Net Neutrality The FCC is considering a new plan that has the same big problems we’ve been protesting against all year. Tell the agency we’ll accept nothing less than REAL Net Neutrality. Just how bad is it? This new proposal: • Would allow broadband providers to cut specialized deals with companies to reach Internet users. • Still gives us slow lanes and gives users no real protection against discrimination from Internet service providers. • Rests on shaky legal arguments that won’t stand up in court. This isn't what millions of us have been fighting for. SIGN NOW at Tell Chairman Wheeler: No Frankenstein Net Neutrality at freepress.net NOW.
Stop Media Consolidation! Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski is trying to change the agency’s ownership rules to pave the way for Murdoch to get exactly what he wants. Worse, Genachowski and Murdoch are keeping this all very hush-hush, hoping you won't notice. These changes wouldn’t just benefit Murdoch. If the FCC proposal passes, one company could own the major daily newspaper, two TV stations and up to eight radio stations in your town. And that one company could be your Internet provider, too. What is the FCC thinking?!? We can still stop the agency from taking this perilous step — but we have less than a month to do it. By taking action, you’re joining a movement of millions who are working to stop big media from getting even bigger. Please take action today. Click HERE to view our infographic and send a message to the FCC! More info at Another FCC Cave-In: Julius Genachowski’s Media Consolidation Christmas Gift to Murdoch at StopTheCap.com! And Sign Senator Bernie Sanders petition to the FCC Protect Media Diversity: Stop Media Consolidation! NEW!!! NATION ACTION! Stop the Comcast/Time Warner Cable Merger! GO THERE NOW!
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! And check out more actions on the Move to Amend Calendar for more! UPDATE! Legalize Democracy Film Premieres on Free Speech TV Jan 21 Move to Amend is thrilled to announce that the premiere of our mini documentary, Legalize Democracy, will be airing on Free Speech TV (FSTV) next week to coincide with the "anniversary" of Citizens United. Legalize Democracy is a 28 minute film by Dennis Trainor, Jr. about the movement to amend -- why it is needed, and how you can get involved. Watch live on our website here. Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net GET INVOLVED! And Alan Grayson is BACK in the 113th Congress! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com and check out his latest effort DontAttackSyria.com!
REPRESENT.US IT’S TIME TO GET MONEY OUT OF POLITICS SO THE GOVERNMENT CAN REPRESENT US. Represent.Us is a fresh campaign to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act: a law that would overhaul campaign finance, impose strict lobbying and conflict of interest laws, and end secret political money. We are mobilizing millions of Americans — conservatives and progressives, young and old, every issue group fighting K Street, online and offline — to join this campaign. Represent.Us is not just building a movement to pass the Act. The campaign will use hard-hitting accountability tactics to unseat politicians who fail to endorse the Act. If passed, the Act will completely reshape American politics and policy-making and give people a voice. See this Guest Blog at Greenpeace by Executive Director Josh Silver The $6 Billion Auction: Finally, A Plan to Get Money Out of Politics for more information!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org and Bradley Manning Support Network From the Chelsea Manning Support Network Announcing the "Chelsea Manning Support Network" March 19, 2014. By CMSN. PVT Manning has filed to change her name legally to "Chelsea Elizabeth Manning" and to receive hormone therapy. To show our support in this struggle, we are renaming ourselves to the "Chelsea Manning Support Network." ..... UPDATE! Nov 18, 2014. The Amnesty International Interview with Chelsea Manning, "Why Speaking Out is Worth the Risk" AND Birthday Vigil for Chelsea Manning Nov 17, 2014. Chelsea Manning was sentenced to 35 years in August 2013. If this stands, she’ll be out in 2045. Take action in a vigil on Chelsea's birthday, Dec. 17th.........
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
CELLULAR PHONE TASK FORCE EDUCATION, ADVOCACY, SUPPORT at CellPhoneTaskForce.org The Cellular Phone Task Force is dedicated to halting the expansion of wireless technology because it cannot be made safe. We provide: education to the public concerning electromagnetic pollution (electrosmog); advocacy for an electromagnetically cleaner environment; support for individuals disabled by radiation from wireless technology and other sources. WATCH THIS MOVIE at Top Documentary Films Resonance: Beings of Frequency Now we live an an ocean of electromagnetic radiation. It’s all around us now, invisible, but we know it’s there. Every time you lift up your mobile phone you know it’s there. It is very hard to turn the clock back, in fact it is impossible, but we need to be aware of the adverse health effects so that we can have the choice of taking precautions against the exposures. How we could have possibly thought that putting microwaves to our brain was safe. We just don’t fully understand what we’re doing. "Resonance: Beings of Frequency" is the first documentary to investigate the actual mechanisms by which mobile phone technology can cause cancer. The film takes a deeper look at how humanity is reacting to the most profound environmental change the planet has ever seen. Read more HERE!!
- This Week (ABC) Host George Stephanopoulos
Meet ABC News' Newest Contributor, Laura Ingraham 10 Moments That Illustrate The Right-Wing Radio Host's Fringe Viewpoints And Disdain For Civil Discourse - Ingraham has repeatedly engaged in inflammatory and hateful rhetoric, lobbing numerous attacks against everyone from President Obama to people who receive government assistance to her favorite target, immigrants. Here are 10 hateful moments from Ingraham in the past year...
• FURGUSON ROUNDTABLE: St. Louis Alderman Antonio French, former New York City Police Commissioner and ABC News contributor Ray Kelly, and New Yorker contributor and University of Connecticut associate professor Jelani Cobb.
• ROUNDTABLE: ABC News contributor and Democratic strategist Donna Brazile, ABC News contributor and Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol, ABC News’ Cokie Roberts, and Wall Street Journal columnist Bret Stephens.
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer
• Ta-Nehisi Coates of the Atlantic
• Dr. James Peterson Director of Lehigh University
• Senator-Elect Thom Tillis, R-N.C., and Senator-Elect Gary Peters, D-Mich.
• new Archbishop of Chicago Blase Cupich, Pope Francis's first appointment in the United States
• ROUNDTABLE: John Heilemenn of Bloomberg Politics, Michael Crowley of Politico, and CBS News Congressional Correspondent Nancy Cordes.
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• The Fox 'News'-ification of CBS News and '60 Minutes': 'The Cleantech Crash'
• CBS' '60 Minutes' admits to faking Tesla car noise
• Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. ET and 7 p.m. PT.
• War and hunger
• Swiping your card
• The lion whisperer
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host Chuck Todd
• Microsoft, NBC News Dissolve MSNBC.com Joint Venture 07/15/12 — NBC is buying Microsoft's 50 percent interest in the MSNBC website for an undisclosed amount. MSNBC.com will be rebranded as NBCNews.com, and readers who logged into MSNBC.com late Sunday were automatically redirected to NBCNews.com. Microsoft is preparing to launch its own news service this fall. Although he declined to provide many details about the operation general manager of MSN.com Bob Visse said the news staff will be about the same size as the roughly 100 people who created original content for the MSNBC.com. "There is no question that we are going to have more flexibility to make our own decisions," said Vivian Schiller, NBC News' chief digital officer. "This is really an amicable breakup. We think competition will make us better." Okay then.
All legal notices should be sent by mail to the editor-in-chief NBCNews.com, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052
• Gov. Deval Patrick, D-Mass.
• Rep. Tom Cotton, R-Ark.
• Sherrilyn Ifill, president and director-counsel of NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) Sunday at 9 am ET and Noon ET.
• Michael Huerta, head of the Federal Aviation Administration
• Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum (R)
• COP VIOLENCE ROUNDTABLE: former NYPD Police commissioner Bernard Kerik; Malik Aziz, the Deputy Police Chief of Dallas and the Chairman of the National Black Police Association; Chief Thomas Manger, Vice President of the Police Executive Research Forum; and Chief James Craig from Detroit.
• ROUNDTABLE: two presidential historians – Richard Norton Smith and Douglas Brinkley – along with veteran Washington reporters Karen Tumulty and Peter Baker.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of Conversation Radio call our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email bob [at] headonradio [dot] com during the show!
• Prayer Meetin' Wednesday!! Über Pope/Rabbi/Imam Bob skewers the Religious Right! Listen here NOW! Wednesday, November 26th, 2014 (mp3)! Amen to the White Rose Society! Bob's show archives at the White Rose HERE! Keep Bob on the air! Donate to Head On HERE! And join Coal River Mountain Watch at www.crmw.net!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT With Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen!
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment! BOOKMARK greennews.bradblog.com NOW!
• 'Green News Report' - November 25, 2014 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: NY Gov. Cuomo blames meteorologists for his failure to prep for deadly Buffalo snowstorm; Arrests in Canada protesting another tar sands pipeline; You'll never guess who is now the world leader in deforestation; PLUS: Those lefty treehugger hippies at the World Bank warn extreme weather will be the 'new normal' by 2050 ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!..... IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): Solar and wind energy start to win on price vs. fossil fuels; Giving thanks for climate heroes big and small this thanksgiving; White House threatens to put brakes on alternative biofuels; EPA orders pollution upgrades on big TX coal plants; White evangelicals believe extreme weather disasters caused by End Times, not climate change; Neither rain nor snow nor heat sways views on climate science... PLUS: Leaked: The Oil Lobby's Conspiracy to Kill Off California's Climate Law... and much, MUCH more! ...
• BRADCAST! 'KPFK' BradCast: Maine Mystery, Ferguson Fury and Thanks for Something 'My thanks to all of you this Thanksgiving which, as a few callers reminded me, isn't nearly as terrible as it seemed before this week's show'...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Not Voting IS a Vote Stop blaming those who didn't turn out. Americans did vote. By not turning out, they voted against the two major parties and against the system as a whole. It may have been a dumb vote, but it was a landslide...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Recount' Ahead for Oregon's GMO Labeling Measure Fewer than 900 votes separate 'Yes' from 'No' on 'Right to Know' Measure 92, out of more than 1.5 million paper ballots tallied by computers statewide in Nov. 4 election...
• BRADBLOG VIDEO! East Coast/West Coast Investigative Election Integrity Muckraking with Friedman and Palast on Hartmann TV!
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! No Indictment in Ferguson Shooting of Michael Brown A few early thoughts on the St. Louis County Prosecutor's extraordinary spectacle and miscarriage of justice on the night of his announcement...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! Mysterious Ballots Flip Maine Senate Recount Result From Democratic to Republican 21 'phantom' ballots appear out of nowhere in Town of Long Island, reverse results of very close state contest, leaving officials baffled...
• BRADBLOG UPDATE! We're #26! Harvard 'Electoral Integrity' Report Dings U.S. 'World's Greatest Democracy' rated worst among Western nations; Ranked just below Micronesia, just above Mexico in overall list...
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• Holiday Break and Website Changes
- To my valued listeners: We are making some changes to the website and our terms, effective in January. We will continue to offer free podcasts–my new daily news and commentary. Our in-depth interviews will be available for $1 per episode, or to subscribers who pay $5 per month or more. Loyal listeners who simply can’t afford it should send an email to email@example.com, as we will be offering a limited number of scholarships to our friends who are hurting during these tough times. More information will be posted as we complete the revisions. I’m grateful to each of you for listening and supporting this work, and hope that the new model will enable us to keep it going well into the future. All the best, -pbc
• 24 Nov 2014 PBC News & Comment: Formerly “Anti-War” President Secretly Extends US War in Afghanistan Obama secretly extends the war in Afghanistan and fires Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel: are these two events connected, asks PBC?….
• 25 Nov 2014 PBC News & Comment: It’s Time for Trigger-Happy Policemen to End Shoot-to-Kill Mentality CFerguson and other communities respond to grand jury’s exoneration of Darren Wilson in killing of Michael Brown as questions linger….
• 26 Nov 2014 PBC News & Comment: As Exit is Delayed, More US Troops Will Stay in Afghanistan Obama delays US exit from Afghanistan in sneaky way, gets no criticism; who will be the last American to die .....
• PBC Standard Podcast November 25, 2014 Globetrotting Journalist Pepe Escobar on His New Book, “Empire of Chaos”, plus: Endless Afghan War, Hagel’s Exit, Beghazi Report and More Pepe Escobar returns to talk about his great new book, and recent developments in world affairs, from Afghanistan to Syria, the firing of Pentagon boss Chuck Hagel, and the GOP Beghazi report that made him laugh out loud.
• PBC Standard Podcast November 21, 2014 Re-Thinking Prisons and Incarceration with Truthout Editor Maya Schenwar Maya Schenwar, editor-in-chief of Truthout.org, talks about her new book about America’s prisons, Locked Down, Locked Out.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
• This Week on Ring of Fire November 26, 2014 Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm Eastern.
»» The Best of Ring of Fire Radio!
»» We’ll hear from Howard Zinn, Chalmers Johnson, Daniel Ellsberg, Thom Hartmann, and several other newsmakers and brilliant progressive minds.
• This Week on Ring of Fire on Free Speech TV! - Sundays at NOON!
»» Guest list TBA. Watch at FSTV
• VIDEO! THE HISTORY OF CORPORATE CORRUPTION & FRAUD with Robert Kennedy Jr & Mike Papantonio “Call us if you have a personal story about Fraud on Taxpayers or False Claims for Payment made by Corportations at 1-866-389-FIRE (3473) or contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have evidence of fraud that robbed taxpayer dollars. If our government is paying too much due to fraud by a corporation, Ring of Fire wants to do a story on it.” Also see Papantonio & Kennedy on Corporate Corruption and Fraud — Pt. 1/4
• SCOTUS Justices Still Haven’t Recused Themselves from BP Case Despite Family Ties by Amy Eddings - .....While BP and the plaintiffs awaiting payments are waiting to hear if SCOTUS will actually take arguments, neither Justices Antonin Scalia nor Samuel Alito have recused themselves despite having family ties to the case. Both justices have a son who works at the multinational law firm handling BP’s appeals, Gibson Dunn. Phil Alito became an associate with the firm’s Washington DC office in August 2013, and Eugene Scalia has been with the firm for over a decade and was made a full partner in 2003.......
• VIDEO! The Walton Walmart Poverty Train Needs To End by Guest Blogger - Reposted with permission from BillMoyers.com By Charina Nadura - An open letter addressed to Wal-Mart heiress Alice Walton posted to the Walmart Hunger Games Tumblr [........]
• Elizabeth Warren to Pres. Obama: Enough is Enough by Amy Eddings - Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) unleashes her frustration with President Obama’s continuous appointment of Wall Street cronies to high-level positions in an op-ed piece for The Huffington Post, “I believe President Obama deserves deference in picking his team, and I’ve generally tried to give him that,” wrote Sen. Warren. “But enough is enough.” Warren’s justifiable anger comes from the announcement by President Obama that his nominee for Under Secretary for Domestic Finance at the Treasury Department – a position that “oversees Dodd-Frank implementation and a wide range of banking and economic policy making issues, including consumer protection – is Antonio Weiss. Why does Weiss’s appointment bother her so much? Because he’s “the head of global investment banking for the financial giant Lazard. He has spent the last 20 years of his career at Lazard — most of it advising on international mergers and acquisitions.” “Neither his background nor his professional experience makes him qualified to oversee consumer protection and domestic regulatory functions at the Treasury,” wrote Warren..............
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the "Podcast" tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up! Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts 7-10 et Sunday evenings on Chicago's Progressive Talk WCPT AM & FM and 4 pm et on Sirius/XM 167 featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 12 NOON et @ Majority.fm!
• MONDAY 11/24/14 Heather Hurlburt: The Why of the Chuck Hagel Resignation
• TUESDAY 11/25/14 Janeane Garofalo: Preparing For Thanksgiving With Your Conservative Relatives
• WEDNESDAY 11/26/14 Mychal Denzel Smith: No Justice for Black Lives & Zoe Carpenter: ‘Stop-and-Frisk for Latinos’
• WEDNESDAY no show
• THURSDAY no show
• MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityfm.libsyn.com!
- KEISER REPORT Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts "The Truth About Markets" on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s "People & Power" series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• MaxKeiserTV on YouTube! MaxKeiserTV
• KEISER REPORT ON FACEBOOK STACY SUMMARY: For once and for all, here are our real Facebook pages, the other ones are fake. But if you feel like chatting to the fake ones, by all means, go ahead.
»» Max Keiser
»» Keiser Report
»» Stacey Herbert
• Assange: How cryptography is a key weapon in the fight against empire states by maxkeiser - READ What began as a means of retaining individual freedom can now be used by smaller states to fend off the ambitions of larger ones (guardian.co.uk)
• WSJ Reports: Bank of North Dakota Outperforms Wall Street by Ellen Brown — While 49 state treasuries were submerged in red ink after the 2008 financial crash, one state’s bank outperformed all others and actually launched an economy-shifting new industry. So reports the Wall Street Journal this week, discussing the Bank of North Dakota (BND) and its striking success in the midst of a national financial collapse led by the major banks. Chester Dawson begins his November 16th article: It is more profitable than Goldman Sachs Group Inc., has a better credit rating than J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and hasn’t seen profit growth drop since 2003. Meet Bank of North Dakota, the U.S.’s lone state-owned bank, which has one branch, no automated teller machines and not a single investment banker. MORE!
• 122 Tonnes of Gold Secretly Repatriated to Netherlands by Mark O'Byrne — The Dutch central bank said Friday it is repatriating some of its gold reserves from the U.S., making it the latest central bank in Europe to address public concerns about the safety of its gold in the wake of the eurozone debt crisis. As the debate regarding whether or not Switzerland should keep the bulk of its gold reserves at home on Swiss soil reaches it’s climax – the referendum takes place on Sunday – it is telling that the Dutch announced on Friday that they have just secretly repatriated 122 tonnes of their sovereign gold reserves from New York back to Amsterdam.
The gold, worth $5 billion at today’s prices, represents 20% of the Netherlands total reserves. It now keeps 31% of its reserves in Amsterdam. Another 31% is believed to be in New York, with the remainder spread between Ottawa and London – the same locations where the bulk of Swiss gold is purported to be stored.
The trend towards gold repatriation began with Hugo Chavez bringing Venezuelan gold back to Caracas in 2011. It has been followed by similar moves by other large gold owning nations and central banks, most notably, Germany.
The repatriation movement has been driven by suspicion that the Federal Reserve and other central banks may have leased or sold gold it was holding on behalf of other countries to bullion banks and that this gold may have been used in order to suppress the price of gold in recent years… READ 122 Tonnes of Gold Secretly Repatriated to Netherlands (goldcore.com)
• “An Unstoppable Zombie Holiday” – Humanity Shudders as America Exports Black Friday to the World by Michael Krieger — It was always a uniquely American embarrassment. A day when the rest of the world could smugly and confidently sneer at the their consumption-obsessed, overweight, and violent brothers and sisters abroad; secure in the fact that they were distinctly different. Well, as Bob Dylan sang, “The Times They are a Changin’,” and the highest-holy day of the American religion of consumerism is coming your way whether you like it or not. Naturally, it is gaining its most robust foothold in the United Kingdom……Read the rest HERE...........
• Gold “Price” Spikes to $1,467.50/oz on Computer Glitch by Mark O'Byrne — Gold spiked higher in many price feeds overnight and was $270 higher or more than 22% higher to $1,467.50/oz at one stage in what appears to have been some form of computer glitch. Despite a very bullish backdrop of the Swiss gold referendum on Sunday, gold repatriation movements in Europe, Russian central bank gold buying and very robust Indian and Chinese demand, there was no breaking news that would justify such a dramatic uptick in gold.
The “usual suspects” were a fat finger trade by a large hedge fund or bank. This was quickly discounted as the price moved higher in a series of trades over a period of minutes rather than in one or two trades. READ Gold “Price” Spikes to $1,467.50/oz on Computer Glitch (goldcore.com)
• Netherlands, Germany Have Euro Disaster Plan – Possible Return to Guilder and Mark by Mark O'Byrne — .........A TV documentary broke the story last Tuesday. The rumours were confirmed on Thursday by the current Dutch minister of finance, Jeroen Dijsselbloem, and the current President of the Eurogroup of finance ministers in a television interview which was covered by EU Observer and Bloomberg. READ Netherlands, Germany Have Euro Disaster Plan – Possible Return to Guilder and Mark (goldcore.com).
• KEISER REPORT [KR683] Keiser Report: Cemented UK Generation We discuss the heavens being taken by force rather than by consensus as Podemos rises as a political force in Spain and, in the UK, students plead for David Cameron to be gentle with them. In the second half Max interviews John Mill Ackerman, law professor and editor-in-chief of the Mexican Law Review, about the protests in Mexico, the economic ‘reforms’ which partially led to the unrest and the new oil law and what it means for social programmes in Mexico.
• KEISER REPORT [KR684] Keiser Report: Financial Engineering We discuss the fact that there are no fundamentals, only financial engineering which is too bad for a real world with a real environment and real people who need to eat. In the second half Max interviews author and journalist, Robert Chalmers, about the corporate lynching of Gary Webb, the journalist who uncovered the CIA’s role in the drugs trade.
• KEISER REPORT [KR685] Keiser Report: Goodbye, Wealth! We discuss the fact that we are all Jack Johnson now – bankrupted by those we trust or, in the case of the central banks – distrust – all in the name of property speculation and other non-wealth producing speculative pursuits. In the second half Max interviews the founder of Nanex, Eric Hunsader, about high frequency trading, market making and scalping markets.
- The Scott Horton Radio Show
Scott Horton is host of Antiwar Radio on Pacifica 90.7 FM KPFK in Los Angeles and KUCR 88.3 in Riverside, and the Scott Horton Show on No Agenda Radio. (You can listen live Monday through Friday New show hours effective 5/26/2014 @ 12-3 PM Eastern! HERE.) Plenty of archives too!
• Scott Horton Radio Show Progress Report: All right, yall, welcome back to the show to the inaugural Scott Horton Show progress report! It’s been an eventful year since the show and I (amicably) parted ways with Antiwar.com, so I thought I would highlight just a few of the show’s important milestones, as well as preview some of the exciting projects to look for in the near future. ........ The show on Pacifica KPFK 90.7 FM in L.A., still called Antiwar Radio, has now moved to join their Sunday morning public affairs line up (8:30 am pt - http://kpfk.org), and remains the largest source of listeners, with 15,000-20,000 people tuning in weekly. The future: Liberty Express Radio is growing and bringing me along for the ride. The great Charles Goyette hooked me up with Alan Butler and the Liberty Express earlier this year, and what has been the daily replay there from 3-5 eastern time has become my best listened-to show. And now they’re adding my friend Tom Woods to the lineup from 2-3 PM. That does it. I’m making the switch! Starting Monday, October 14, the live show is moving to 3-5 PM Eastern time on LibertyExpressRadio.com, as well as NoAgenda and my own stream....... New show hours effective 5/26/2014: 12-3 PM Eastern!
• 11/17/14 Eric Margolis: Eric Margolis, a journalist and author of American Raj, discusses the confusing situation in Syria; the incoming Republican congressmen eager to do Israel’s bidding; and why Saudi Arabia is manipulating oil prices to damage Russia’s economy.
• 11/18/14 Jacob Hornberger: Jacob Hornberger, founder and president of The Future of Freedom Foundation, discusses how the United States lost the Cold War by adopting the totalitarian features of the Soviet Union; and how to better the economy by cutting the Pentagon’s budget and using the proceeds for productive purposes.
• 11/21/14 Jason Leopold: Jason Leopold, an investigative reporter for Vice News, discusses the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report on the CIA’s torture program during the Bush administration; the fight over which parts will be redacted; and when it might finally be released to the public.
• 11/21/14 Jason Leopold: Gareth Porter, an independent journalist and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare, discusses the stalled nuclear negotiations between Iran and the P5+1 in Geneva, during a final round of talks before the November 24th deadline.
• 11/24/14 Patrick Cockburn: Patrick Cockburn, a journalist with The Independent, discusses how the Islamic State has hastened an end to Iraq’s 2000 year old Christian communities; why the CIA is underestimating the Islamic State’s power; and how Chuck Hagel’s resignation as Defense Secretary highlights the disaster of US policy in the Middle East.
• Older interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• Marc Morial, the President and CEO of the National Urban League
• former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©First brick is on us! Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml