Your Guest List for Sunday's Talking Head News Shows beamed across America by Corporate Media PLUS reports from the best lib/prog media! If you have related STORIES share below!
DEBUNK HERE! Throw Bricks!
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ALL LINKS OPEN A NEW WINDOW!!! Click on anything below and be INSTANTLY SMARTER!
710.77345 First one to guess what that number says wins a free Malloy podcast! HINT: Get out yer calculators. Heh. Warren Buffet speaks! And the congresscritters that took Grover Norquist's "No Tax Pledge" are peeing their pants! Not Tyler Durden at zerohedge who points out in Bank Of America: Gold Upgraded To AAAA, 12 Month Price Target: $2,000 A day after the US downgrade to AA+, Warren Buffett (who elsewhere continues his op-ed uber-campaign in hypocrisy by writing in the NYT that the government should "Stop Coddling the Super-Rich") said that in his book the US is AAAA. Amusingly, hours later S&P downgraded Berkshire to pari with the US. Judging by the record near surge in volatility in the ensuing days, the market was not too convinced with the octogenarian of Omaha's latest orations. What it was more convinced by, judging by market results, was the fact that Bank of America upgraded something totally different to an AAAA rating: gold, with a $2000 12 month target. To wit: "High commodity prices have now created a terms-of-trade shock for importers, feeding into current accounts, the financial sector and, ultimately, sovereign debt. How will these imbalances unwind? Physical gold is the ultimate collateral because it has no credit risk, so EM Central Banks have been diversifying their foreign exchange reserves into gold and other non-dollar, non-euro assets in recent quarters. Looking ahead, the deterioration in credit quality in Europe and the US coupled with an increased probability of QE3 means these pressures will continue. As a result, we revise our 12-month gold target to $2000/oz." Basically everything that Zero Hedge has been saying for about TWO AND HALF YEARS NOW. Naturally, this coming from Bank of America, should set off contrarian call alarm bells everywhere. Regardless, here is BofA's Michael Widmer explaining his call, as well as the full upgrade report from BAC, which lately has far, far greater problems than getting its commodities call right or wrong. See the video at the link! But Brendan Lynch at the Boston Herald reports Bank of America plans to lay off 3,500 more workers “There’s a lot of ‘ifs’ surrounding B of A,” said Anthony Polini, an analyst at Raymond James & Associates. “If the U.S. can continue to recover, if it can put the lawsuits surrounding the mortgage crisis behind it. ... Polini speculated they could come from the bank’s retail operation or its mortgage banking unit. “How many re-fi waves can you have in a row?” Polini said. “The next re-fi wave will have to be 3 percent (interest rates). It seems like everybody but me is already at 4 percent.” Maybe they're letting go of all those RoboSigners in their "mortgage banking unit"? Reuters published a Special report: Banks continue robo-signing last month citing Bank of America, meanwhile, is coming under fire from a New York federal bankruptcy judge. Last Tuesday, Judge Robert Drain ordered an investigation involving a foreclosure case brought by the bank. Two earlier copies of a promissory note filed in court had lacked any endorsement, but then one appeared on the note when bank lawyers produced the original. The judge said the sudden appearance of an endorsement, and his own close look at it, raised questions about whether it had been added illegally to make the note look legitimate.It "raises a sufficiently serious issue as to when and more importantly by whom this note was endorsed," the judge said. Then Louise Story @ NYT reports U.S. Inquiry Is Said to Focus on S.&P. Ratings The Justice Department is investigating whether the nation’s largest credit ratings agency, Standard & Poor’s, improperly rated dozens of mortgage securities in the years leading up to the financial crisis, according to two people interviewed by the government and another briefed on such interviews. The investigation began before Standard & Poor’s cut the United States’ AAA credit rating this month, but it is likely to add fuel to the political firestorm that has surrounded that action. ...In the mortgage inquiry, the Justice Department has been asking about instances in which the company’s analysts wanted to award lower ratings on mortgage bonds but may have been overruled by other S.& P. business managers, according to the people with knowledge of the interviews. If the government finds enough evidence to support such a case, which is likely to be a civil case, it could undercut S.& P.’s longstanding claim that its analysts act independently from business concerns. Then our own msgeaux finds Obama — Beware of Elites Bearing Gifts by Richard K. Moore: To my way of thinking, the proper response to the financial collapse would be to place all the big financial institutions under national receivership. They created the crisis through fraudulent practices, and bailing them out should be the furthest thing from our minds. The nations of the world can figure out who legitimately owes who what, figure out some way to settle up, and establish new sounder bases for currencies. That's what the G-20 could have been doing, but of course they didn't. As things get worse, we will take comfort that Obama 'understands our plight', is 'one of us', and is 'doing all he can'. Indeed, we will be dutifully emailing our representatives, to support this or that Obama legislation. As to the actual dark tunnel we are entering, here are a few recent articles that have come my way: [...read all these at link...] If anyone still doubts that the banking elites run things from behind the scenes, the past few months should have opened their eyes. Instead of a rational response, based on bringing the financial institutions under control, we have a capitulation to banking interests, symbolized by the installation of Henry Paulson as US Economic Czar, the same Paulson who helped engineer the subprime virus while at Goldman Sachs. The bailout, which has become a global phenomenon, is a crime against humanity, a betrayal of whatever democratic principles remained in our societies. Humanity is the patient, and capitalism (i.e., rule by capitalist elites) is the disease. The agenda of our leaders, and Obama will be no exception, is to sacrifice the patient so that the disease may survive. Our always intrepid jen is reminded of a long 2000 essay by Richard K. Moore Escaping the Matrix. Here's a snip: In the matrix, the various factions believe that their competition with each other is the process that determines society's political agenda. Politicians want votes, and hence the biggest and best-organized factions should have the most influence, and their agendas should get the most political attention. In reality there is only one significant political agenda these days: the maximization of capital growth through the dismantling of society, the continuing implementation of neoliberalism, and the management of empire.... The matrix cannot fool all of the people all of the time. Under the onslaught of globalization, the glitches are becoming ever more difficult to conceal--as earlier, with the Vietnam War. November's anti-establishment demonstrations in Seattle, the largest in decades, were aimed directly at globalization and the WTO. Even more important, Seattle saw the coming together of factions that the matrix had programmed to fight one another, such as left-leaning environmentalists and socially conservative union members. Seattle represented the tip of an iceberg. A mass movement against globalization and elite rule is ready to ignite, like a brush fire on a dry, scorching day. The establishment has been expecting such a movement and has a variety of defenses at its command, including those used effectively against the movements of the 1960s and 1970s. In order to prevail against what seem like overwhelming odds, the movement must escape entirely from the matrix, and it must bring the rest of society with it. As long as the matrix exists, humanity cannot be free. The whole truth must be faced: Globalization is centralized tyranny; capitalism has outlasted its sell-by date; matrix "democracy" is elite rule; and "market forces" are imperialism. Left and right are enemies only in the matrix. In reality we are all in this together, and each of us has a contribution to make toward a better world. And it is as strong as ever and growing as outlined in Dana Priest's Top Secret America. Our msgeaux also snags an excellent vid preview
The Four Horsemen - Official Trailer MUST WATCH! Max has it too! And from last week's AntiWarRadio interview with JASON LEOPOLD. He recommends Who is Richard Blee? secrecykills.com - Find out 9/11/2011 with Richard Clarke. Read Leopold's Former Counterterrorism Czar Accuses Tenet, Other CIA Officials of Cover-Up at truth-out.org. With all this as a backdrop NYT's John M. Broder explains Bashing E.P.A. Is New Theme in G.O.P. Race: Representative Ron Paul of Texas wants environmental disputes settled by the states or the courts. Herman Cain, a businessman, wants to put many environmental regulations in the hands of an independent commission that includes oil and gas executives. Jon M. Huntsman Jr., the former Utah governor, thinks most new environmental regulations should be shelved until the economy improves.... Bachmann drew loud applause 10 days ago at a rally in Iowa when she declared: “I guarantee you the E.P.A. will have doors locked and lights turned off, and they will only be about conservation. It will be a new day and a new sheriff in Washington, D.C.” In an earlier debate she said the agency should be renamed the “job-killing organization of America.” She has called global-warming science a hoax. ... On Monday, Mr. Perry called on Mr. Obama to halt all regulations because, Mr. Perry said, “his E.P.A. regulations are killing jobs all across America.” In his book, “Fed Up, Our Fight to Save America from Washington,” Mr. Perry described global-warming science as “one contrived phony mess that is falling apart under its own weight” and a “secular carbon cult” led by false prophets like Al Gore. Guardian UK reports Rick Perry accuses scientists of 'manipulating' climate data These comments led to the climate science faculties at both the University of Texas and Texas A&M University (Perry’s alma mater) posting consensus statements on their websites endorsing the findings about the manmade character of climate change by the world’s leading scientific body on the subject, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).
For more read Alex Pareene at Salon's "War Room" The GOP candidates have no time for your "science" and Texas Climate News Perry sharpens rhetoric on climate science, charges data “manipulated” for money. The "drill baby" party has also been actively supporting drilling in the Arctic.
First it was Texaco/Chevron in Ecuador, Exxon Valdeez in Alaska, then Bottomless Pit (BP) in the Gulf of Mexico and now SHELL OIL! Shell wins tentative approval for offshore Arctic drilling says Richard Maur at the Anchorage Daily News But the permit is contingent on many other federal permits and approvals, among them governing air pollution from drill ships and companion vessels, oil-spill response plans, marine mammal protection and specific plans for each of the wells. A Shell spokesman in Alaska, Curtis Smith, said the company has been informed that at least the oil-spill response plan is near conclusion and will be approved next week. Representatives of several environmental organizations, in a joint telephone news conference from Washington, D.C., said they were disappointed by the decision and were studying whether to challenge it in court. Erik Grafe, an Anchorage-based attorney for Earthjustice, said they had 60 days to file a lawsuit. Grafe and the others said the federal approval was granted before Shell proved it could clean up an oil spill in the Arctic. They said the drilling program should have been subject to a full-blown environmental impact statement with public comment and additional research, not the more limited environmental assessment that the agency conducted. The agency found no evidence that Shell's exploration "would significantly affect the quality of the human environment," a key for rejecting the need for an environmental impact statement. Shell is also seeking authorization to drill in the Chukchi Sea about the same time as in the Beaufort. That application is pending.
See EarthJustice.org Feds Ignore Risks and Green Light Shell Drilling in Arctic Ocean “Just this June, the USGS reported gaping holes in our understanding of the Arctic Ocean, yet the administration ignores these realities by declaring that offshore drilling would have no significant impact on this fragile marine environment,” said Sierra Weaver, attorney for Defenders of Wildlife. “By putting Shell one step closer to dangerously risky drilling, the administration puts the wildlife and people that depend on the fragile Arctic ecosystem on thin ice.” “Shell’s oil drilling risks major spills that could devastate nearby coasts, including our nation’s treasured Arctic National Wildlife Refuge roughly a dozen miles away,” said Pamela A. Miller, Arctic Program Director, Northern Alaska Environmental Center in Fairbanks, Alaska. “The toxic pollution and noisy disturbance from the exploration wells threaten refuge resources dependent upon marine and nearshore estuary waters, as well as surrounding coastal habitats so vital to polar bears, migratory birds, caribou, Alaska Native subsistence, and recreation. Our preeminent wilderness refuge deserves better care than the offshore agency has shown.” Joe Romm at ThinkProgress Climate Progress shows how After North Sea Oil Spill, Shell Prepares to Drill in Arctic Where There is ‘No Infrastructure’ for Clean-Up But the leader of the U.S. Coast Guard continues to raise concerns about the environmental implications of a spill there. Speaking to reporters on Friday in Alaska, Admiral Robert Papp explained that that the agency needs “an appropriate level of Arctic pollution response capability. Presently we have none.” From the Associated Press:
As of now, the agency is operating at a disadvantage, Adm. Robert Papp said. “You never know the full spectrum of things that can go wrong,” Papp said. (Uhh, yes we do! Can you say "Valdez" or "Deepwater Horizon" or "Dai-Ichi"? -Ed.) “And if the Coast Guard has no resources, we have no backup, we have no way to execute a plan. So we’ve got to have some infrastructure up there.”
......But the disconnect gets far worse. In its Environmental Impact Assessment, the Department of Interior fully recognizes the impact of climate change on the Arctic. Yet it gives approval to drill for more carbon-intensive fossil fuels in the region, exacerbating the very problem the agency outlines: Ironically, the proposed plan to address climate change is to install emissions-reduction equipment at rigs onsite, rather than consider the impact of drilling for fossil fuels. On yet another front Bill McKibben, founder of 360.org, pens a WaPo editorial alerting us to a D.C. sit-in to fight the construction of a pipeline that would bring the dirtiest tar sands oil from Alberta Canada to the Texas refineries straight through the heartland of America:
A watershed moment for Obama on climate change The issue is simple: We want the president to block construction of Keystone XL, a pipeline that would carry oil from the tar sands of northern Alberta down to the Gulf of Mexico. We have, not surprisingly, concerns about potential spills and environmental degradation from construction of the pipeline. But those tar sands are also the second-largest pool of carbon in the atmosphere, behind only the oil fields of Saudi Arabia. If we tap into them in a big way, NASA climatologist James Hansen explained in a paper issued this summer, the emissions would mean it’s “essentially game over” for the climate. That’s why the executive directors of many environmental groups and 20 of the country’s leading climate scientists wrote letters asking people to head to Washington for the demonstrations. In scientific terms, it’s as close to a no-brainer as you can get. Read it all! NOW TAKE ACTION! Join us this summer!
From August 20th – September 3rd we’re planning a peaceful protest in Washington DC to defuse the largest carbon bomb in North America - www.tarsandsaction.org Yeah! Back to SHELL OIL in the ARCTIC Shell's second oil leak in North Sea pipeline caused by relief valve guardian.co.uk Tue 16 Aug Greenpeace is taking legal action to stop the granting of more than 20 new licences for oil companies to drill in the deep water to the west of Shetland, arguing that the government cannot be certain that a spill in the area would not devastate specially protected wildlife havens. Campaigners also pointed to wider lessons for oil companies in other parts of the world, including places where oil spills have been covered up such as Nigeria. As the Guardian recently revealed, Shell has been forced to admit liability for spills in the region THAT HAVE DWARFED last year's [BeePee] Gulf of Mexico DISASTER. Communications director for the Alaska Wilderness League Emilie Surrusco opines at the Christian Science MonitorDrilling for oil in Arctic Ocean is fraught with danger Importantly, no one has been able to come up with a workable way to clean up oil in ice. Shell’s spill plan includes techniques that are familiar to anyone who followed the Deepwater Horizon disaster – in situ burning, dispersants, booms – methods that were difficult to implement in the Gulf’s calm, temperate seas, close to modern infrastructure. When oil companies tested some of these approaches in the Arctic (over 10 years ago), the experiment was declared a “failure.” Since then, nothing has changed in Arctic oil-spill response technology. What’s more, America’s own science experts – the United States Geological Survey – say it’s “difficult, if not impossible” to make informed decisions about drilling in the Arctic because too much remains unknown about the Arctic’s marine environment and the wildlife that depend on it. See BTV's
Spill Baby Spill & More Spills and Thrills plus BTV's SPECIAL REPORT Mountaintop Removal Study for more recent "extraction industry" disasters.
THIS JUST IN! Suzanne Goldenberg, US environment correspondent guardian.co.uk Friday 19 August 2011: Massive protest at White House against Alberta tar sands pipeline Campaigners say the two-week protest will be the biggest green civil disobedience in a generation The veteran environmentalist Bill McKibben, who is leading the protest, describes it as the biggest civil disobedience action in environmental circles for years. It also puts Obama on the spot to make good on his promises as a presidential candidate in 2008 to act on climate change. Congress failed to act on the main plank of Obama's green agenda – climate change legislation – and pressure from Tea Party activists has forced the Environmental Protection Agency to delay or weaken regulations on dealing with climate change. This time though, Obama has freedom of action – or at least that is McKibben's hope. Obama must personally sign off on the pipeline, if it is to go ahead. "We think we may have a chance because for once Obama gets to make the call himself. He has to sign – or not sign – the permit," McKibben said. "As environmentalists this is the one clean test we are ever going to get of Obama's real commitment to climate issues." (This story DID NOT RUN in the U.S. press. If you can find ONE then post below and prove us wrong. -Ed.) AND for our PUMAs out there Groups Question Influence of Clinton Ties to Oil Lobbyist on State Department Pipeline Decision A coalition of organizations composed of Friends of the Earth, the Center for International Environmental Law, and Corporate Ethics International submitted a Freedom of Information Act request [PDF] this week asking for all communications between the agency and a former presidential campaign manager for Hillary Clinton. Paul Elliot, the lobbyist in question, served as national deputy director and chief of staff for delegate selection for Clinton's Presidential campaign committee. He's now a lobbyist for TransCanada, the company aiming to build the controversial 2,151 mile-long Keystone XL Pipeline. The above organizations are concerned about how the relationship between Secretary of State Clinton and Elliot may impact the approval process for the controversial tar sands pipeline. For the coalition of watchdog organizations, this is just the latest in a series of developments that cast doubt on whether the State Department is fulfilling its obligations to conduct an exhaustive and transparent review of the environmental and public health dangers of the proposed pipeline. Read Friends of the Earth Press Release So, PUMAs, despite the primary and convention 2008 hi-jinx vote-rigging and arm-twisting BLATANT UNDERMINING OF DEMOCRACY, just how much would have a Hillary pResidency be even marginally different? Post yer PUMA thoughts below. Catch Chris Moody on Ring of Fire Radio talking with Pap about the green-washing of our education system. Also our man in Pipelineistan Pepe Escobar is on AntiWar Radio, Stephen Zunes and Thomas Frank is with Peter B, Matt Taibbi is on Majority Report and much more! As for the Sunday Funnies WH Limo Riders DAVID AXELROD on State of the Candy & This Anampout and BOB GIBBS on Meet the David explain the WH "pivot" to "job creation" after yet another roller-coaster (mostly down) market week. FAKE SNOOZE goes with RICK SANATARIUM and TURD BLOSSOM while Face the Bob gets JOHN "CRAZY TRAIN" MCCAIN. Later 60 Minutes follows the story of whistleblower THOMAS DRAKE. The Brick TeeVee Crew has been dragging ass all week during the hot Dog Days and the Tribe's Band Box batting has been hit and mostly miss as they look to get at least one win in Detroit on Sunday before a long homestand against the Mariners, Royals and A's. Throw some bricks, buy some gold and have a great week!
A thorough scientific examination of climate change in the Arctic is provided by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2007a) and the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA, 2005). The two reviews offer the most comprehensive compilation of information available on climate change, agreeing that the Arctic is experiencing variations that are accelerating faster than previously realized (Karcher et al., 2010). Other research concurs the Arctic is undergoing rapid transition, including surface warming (affecting cloudiness) and changes in the cryosphere, the frozen water part of the Earth system that includes sea ice (Matthes, Rinke, and Dethloff, 2009). A thorough scientific examination of climate change in the Arctic is provided by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC, 2007a) and the Arctic Climate Impact Assessment (ACIA, 2005). The two reviews offer the most comprehensive compilation of information available on climate change, agreeing that the Arctic is experiencing variations that are accelerating faster than previously realized (Karcher et al., 2010). Other research concurs the Arctic is undergoing rapid transition, including surface warming (affecting cloudiness) and changes in the cryosphere, the frozen water part of the Earth system that includes sea ice (Matthes, Rinke, and Dethloff, 2009).
BRICK TEEVEE ALERTS!©
»»» Chris Woods Bureau of Investigative Journalism in London. @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Investigation Finds U.S. Drones Strike Pakistan Every Four Days, Killing 775 Civilians Since 2004 Aug 15, 2012
»»» "X", an anonymous member of the hacktivist group Anonymous @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Disguised Member of Hacktivist Group "Anonymous" Defends Retaliatory Action Against BART RELATED Hacktivism’s Global Reach, From Targeting Scientology to Backing WikiLeaks and the Arab Spring Aug 16, 2012
»»» Rona Peligal, deputy director of the Africa Division for Human Rights Watch WATCH NOW Human Rights Watch: Abuses by All Sides Fueling Crisis in Somalia Aug 17, 2011
»»» Frank Schaeffer @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Ex-Evangelical Denounces Michele Bachmann & Calls Christian Reconstructionist Politics "Anti-American" Aug 17, 2011
»»» Juan Gonzalez @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Juan Gonzalez: Verizon Workers’ Strike "Most Important Labor Battle Going on Today" RELATED Verizon Workers, Management Dig in for Decisive Labor Battle 'This is no ordinary strike' Click to read more of Juan Gonzalez’s column in the New York Daily News. Aug 18, 2011
»»» Author David Wise @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW As Biden Visits China, Author David Wise on "Tiger Trap: America’s Secret Spy War with China" Aug 18, 2011
»»» Raed Jarrar, an Iraqi-American blogger and political analyst @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Violence Spikes in Iraq as U.S. Considers Ways to Extend Occupation Past December Deadline Aug 19, 2011
»»» Cindy Schild, the refining issues manager at the American Petroleum Institute, and Jane Kleeb, executive director of Bold Nebraska @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW A Debate: Should the U.S. Approve TransCanada’s Massive Keystone XL Tar Sands Oil Pipeline? Aug 19, 2011
»»» Robert Borosage, founder and president of the Institute for America’s Future @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW Bipartisan "Super Committee" Turns to Cutting Deficit with "Extraordinary" Powers Aug 19, 2011
»»» Steven Greenhouse, the labor reporter for the New York Times @ Democracy NOW! WATCH NOW The Verizon Labor Battle: As Strike Continues, Customers Report Delays and Disruptions to Service Aug 19, 2011
»»» GRITtv @ www.grittv.org with Laura Flanders
»»» FEATURED SHOW Evicting Rioters from Public Housing? David Cameron Meet Michelle Alexander
BRICK TEEVEE SPORT!©
»»» NASCAR on ESPN Pure Michigan 400! Live from Michigan International Speedway @ 1 pm et
»»» MLB on TBS Yankees @ Twins! 2 pm et
»»» Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN Cardinals @ Cubs! 8 pm et
»»» Wednesday Night Doubleheader on ESPN Red Sox @ Rangers at 7 pm et followed by White Sox @ Angels 10 pm et
BRICK TEEVEE ACTION!©
SUPPORT CWA at VERIZON Many of you may have Verizon Wireless or even live in a state where they provide land lines. 45,000 Communications Workers of America members have walked off the job this week because of Verizon's unrelenting proposed cuts. Note that a $10/hour across-the-board increase in wages for all 45,000 members would amount to about $93 Million/year which is LESS THAN ONE HALF of 1% of the $19 BILLION Verizon made in profits the last four years! Please support our brothers and sisters at CWA here: Tell Verizon: Stop Attacking the Middle Class UPDATE: Agreement on Bargaining Reached! Thanks to our unity, we will return to work Tues. with contract back in force and bargaining restructured. Member update call Sunday 11 am EDT. Read our statement. Taryn Luna, Boston Globe Correspondent Unions agree to end strike without new contract with Verizon The Communications Workers of America and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers agreed today to end one of the largest strikes in a decade without winning a new contract agreement, and send their 45,000 members back to work at Verizon Communications Inc. nearly two weeks after walking off the job. Workers from Massachusetts to Virginia will return to their posts in the company’s landline division on Monday evening under the terms of the previous contract, as negotiations on a new bargaining agreement continue between the two sides next week.
October2011.org October 2011 is the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Afghanistan and the beginning of the 2012 federal austerity budget. It is time to light the spark that sets off a true democratic, nonviolent transition to a world in which people are freed to create just and sustainable solutions. Take this pledge at October2011.org
- "I pledge that if any U.S. troops, contractors, or mercenaries remain in Afghanistan on Thursday, October 6, 2011, as that occupation goes into its 11th year, I will commit to being in Freedom Plaza in Washington, D.C., with others on that day or the days immediately following, for as long as I can, with the intention of making it our Tahrir Square, Cairo, our Madison, Wisconsin, where we will NONVIOLENTLY resist the corporate machine by occupying Freedom Plaza to demand that America's resources be invested in human needs and environmental protection instead of war and exploitation. We can do this together. We will be the beginning."
CHANGE.ORG The First Cause: A Plan to Claim Food As Food We're losing the right to manage our own health. Even the right to choose our food is being stolen. We can stop it, but only by ending the basis on which it's being done—not by addressing each action. Heidi Stevenson, Gaia Health:
The First Cause: A Plan to Claim Food As Food: We can't end this destruction of our rights simply by protesting each incident. By the time these limitations are pushed on us, it's too late. We must address the bases on which these rules are made. We must insure that, at a minimum, laws are enacted that remove the ability to limit our access to natural products. Food must be recognized as food, not treated as drugs. To this end, I'm starting two petitions, one in the US and one in the EU, to address this concern. However, these petitions are not the usual sort. They will form the basis of many actions. People who sign are asked to be part of the movement to claim back our health rights. We need to let politicians know that we're serious, we're organized—and we're growing. People who sign are asked to also send letters or e-mails to their representatives in congress or parliament, thus sending a constantly increasing stream of messages to keep the issue in front of them. A new website has been set up to allow people to post responses from politicians, along with their own articles: Free Choice - Health Defining food as food is not the only issue that must be tackled, but it's a key one. As it gets rolling, we'll start others. We are literally in a battle for our lives!
If you're in Europe, click HERE to sign the petition.
If you're in the United States, click HERE to sign the petition. Do it NOW!
(Ed. sez go read Michael Pollan's FARMER IN CHIEF -Ed.)
CAMPAIGN FOR AMERICA'S FUTURE American Majority Rejects Washington Austerity Consensus – And We Demand Media Coverage by Roger Hickey, President, Campaign for America's Future: No more silent majority. The Campaign for America’s Future is joining with the Center for Economic and Policy Research (whose Co-Director, Dean Baker blogs regularly about economic bias in the media) and with FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) to monitor the media’s coverage and representation of the American Majority views as they go into covering the big deficit fight. But we want to enlist YOU too. Send us accounts of unbalanced coverage in the national media and in your local newspapers and television. Call up reporters, editors, assignment people and tell them when they are under-representing the views of the American Majority. We should have at least half the experts, pundits, quotes and real people represented in their coverage. In a debate as important as the one we are going into, we can’t allow the media to ignore the American Majority. Much more at www.ourfuture.org
MOVE TO AMEND! www.movetoamend.org SIGN HERE NOW! Also visit Rep Alan Grayson's site www.savedemocracy.net And Alan Grayson is running again in FL-8! Help out at CongressmanWithGuts.com
SUPPORT THE TROOPS WHO REFUSE TO FIGHT See CourageToResist.org UPDATE! Manning-Lamo Chat Logs Revealed at wired.com plus The Deeply Personal Details in New Bradley Manning Chat Logs and Bradley Manning Support Network Much more at link.
EMAIL UPDATE! Help us reach our goal of a half million by signing the petition, and passing it on. Add your name! AND Vote for Bradley in the 2011 Time Magazine 100 Poll here!
Add your name to this petition Eminent US legal scholars protest 'torture' of Bradley Manning.
DONATE YOUR OLD CELL PHONES TO T.J. MARTELL FOUNDATION Help save lives. Donate your old & used iPhone, Blackberries, Droid and other phones to help the T.J. Martell Foundations fund life-saving cancer & AIDS research. For more information, go to www.tjmartellfoundation.org
B R I C K T E E V E E
image ©2006 arkysue
THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
The essential guide for watching government propaganda
IRAQ: 4,474 US Military Dead as of Aug 12, 2011
AFGHANISTAN: 1,738 US Military Dead as of Aug 12, 2011
The Obameter: Tracking Obama's Campaign Promises
Considering Democracy: 8 Things to ask your Representative
- This Week (ABC) with Christiane Amanpour - Jake Tapper live from Ames, Iowa
• Fact Checking ABC's "This Week" at NPR "On the Media" - Jake Tapper, interim host of ABC's "This Week," liked the idea of fact-checking his guests' comments, so he set up a partnership with Politifact, a non-partisan fact-checking organization. See Politifact Statements ABC News 'This Week'
• former Utah governor and U.S. Ambassador to China Jon Huntsman
• Obama campaign adviser David Axelrod
• ROUNDTABLE: George Will, political strategist Donna Brazile, Jeff Zeleny of the New York Times, Republican pollster Frank Luntz, and Liz Claman of FOX Business Network
- Face The Nation (CBS) Host Bob Schiefer - Chief White House Correspondent Norah O'Donnell sits in for Bob Schieffer
• Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
• economist Mark Zandi
• former RNC Chair Ed Gillespie
• former DNC Chair Terry McAuliffe
- 60 Minutes (CBS)
• U.S. vs. DRAKE - Tom Drake, a former National Security Agency senior executive, was indicted last year for espionage after leaking allegations to the media that the nation's largest intelligence organization had committed fraud, waste and abuse. Scott Pelley reports. Glenn Silber and Graham Messick are the producers.
• The Archbishop - In a wide-ranging interview with Morley Safer, New York's Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan discusses the sex abuse crisis in the Catholic Church, his current mission and the state of the church in America. Deirdre Naphin is the producer.
- Meet the Press (NBC) Host David Gregory
• Meet the Facts at NPR "On the Media" - Last December, NYU professor Jay Rosen proposed something simple yet revolutionary: why don't the Sunday morning chat shows fact check their guests? After "Meet the Press" host David Gregory declined, two college students launched a website to do it for him. One of them, Chas Danner, explains what they're trying to accomplish. See their website MeetTheFacts.com updating soon!
• Obama for America Campaign adviser, Robert Gibbs
• Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels (R)
• ROUNDTABLE: former Tennessee congressman, Harold Ford, Jr. (D); columnist for the Wall Street Journal Peggy Noonan; columnist for the Washington Post, E.J. Dionne; and host of CNBC’s Closing Bell, Maria Bartiromo.
- State of the Union With Candy Crowley (CNN) live from Iowa
At 9 AM ET, Candy talks to the power players: politicians, business leaders and international newsmakers who will make Monday morning's headlines. At NOON ET, Candy wraps it all up with fresh interviews and the best of the earlier hours.
• David Axelrod, Senior Strategist of the Obama re-election campaign
• Governors Bob McDonnell of Virginia and Martin O'Malley of Maryland, chairs of their party’s governors associations.
• Congressional Black Caucus member Rep. Elijah Cummings of Maryland.
• U.S. economic editor of The Economist Greg Ip and Editor of Thomson Reuters Digital Chrystia Freeland.
- HEAD ON RADIO with Bob Kincaid
Headon Radio with Bob Kincaid 6 PM Eastern, 3 PM Pacific, 2300 GMT. Duration: 3 hrs. To be part of the conversation on Head-on Radio, call toll-free (877) 443-2366, or use our Liberal community line at 304-658-3333. Email: bob [at] headonradio [dot] com.
• Prayer Meetin' Wednesday!!!!!! Listen HERE (mp3)!
• Catch the PRISM-WV Summer Academy video stream on the Head-On With Bob Kincaid USTREAM Channel!
Amen to the White Rose Society! Donate to Head On HERE!
- YOUR GREEN NEWS REPORT
The Green News Report with Brad Friedman & Desi Doyen: 6 minutes of green news, politics, analysis & snarky comment!
Go see greennews.bradblog.com!
• 'Green News Report' - August 18, 2011 IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Extreme weather in 2011 breaking records for record-breaking; Civil disobedience coming to the White House over Canada's Keystone XL pipeline; PLUS: TX Gov. Rick Perry thinks he knows more about climate science than climate scientists do...and the GOP candidates' attacks on the EPA may be costly ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see link): 'Every farmer in the world will be affected by climate change'; Wal-Mart Going 100% Renewable - in Canada; Op-ed: No to Arctic Drilling; Koch Brothers Fund Bogus Study Bashing Offshore Wind in New Jersey; Melting Arctic sea ice drives walruses onto land; Famine-struck Somalia faces cholera outbreak; EPA's Planned Phaseout of Harmful Refrigerant Hits Snag; Human Excrement to Blame for Coral Decline; Obama administration moves against ANWR oil drilling; Public's ideas for BP oil spill restoration projects; Otters are back in England; U.S. bans Syrian oil imports; Myth: smaller, fuel-efficient cars increase traffic deaths; Army Corps re-calibrating ’500-Year Flood’ standard; Fukushima's meltdown: reactors were doomed to fail" ... PLUS: Living beyond our means: How our indulgent economic and environmental models threaten future generations. Visit BradBlog.com to see who counts yer votes! Reference yer background/research at Who's Counting? too.
UPDATE: HACKED: Wisconsin State Elections Board Website.
- The Peter B. Collins Show PODCAST!
Listen at PeterBCollins.com!
The Peter B. Collins Show covers American news and politics from the Left Coast. Veteran talk radio personality Peter B. Collins, based in San Francisco, delivers fresh interviews, commentary and analysis on a range of important topics, with views and voices you don’t often find in the corporate media.
• PBC Live! Weekly on KGO PBC Live! Weekly on KGO Your humble host has been remiss in keeping you apprised of his other media activities. Since February, I’ve been hosting a regular weekly show on KGO, the leading San Francisco talk station with a huge coverage area–at night, you can hear it anywhere on the West Coast. TFN (till further notice), you can hear me every Friday night–or, more precisely, Saturday morning, from 1-5 am (PDT) on 810-AM or streaming at www.kgoradio.com. If you’d like to be alerted each week, sign up on Facebook as a fan of “Peter B. Collins Show” or you can follow me on Twitter, @pbcsf
• PBC Podcast 277 Prof. Stephen Zunes On Drone Deaths, AfPak, Iraq, Syria and Much More; Email Responses to Call for a Primay Challenge to Obama J. Stephen Zunes, Professor of Politics and Chair of Middle East Studies at University of San Francisco, returns to talk about an array of foreign policy issues, starting with the false claim from Obama advisor John Brennan that there have been no civilians killed by drone strikes in the past year and the inability of the New York Times to call proven falsehoods, well, lies; interesting array of reaction to call for Obama challenger.
• PBC Podcast 278 Tom Frank, Harper’s Columnist, on Obama’s Decline and the Age of Enron; Journalist/Activist Mike Elk on the HuffPo Strike and ALEC Thomas Frank, author of What’s the Matter With Kansas and The Wrecking Crew, returns to talk about his next book, the problems with Obama, and his recent Harper’s column on the Age of Enron. Mike Elk, journalist and activist, talks about the writer’s strike at Huffington Post and about the role of ALEC in filling prisons–and then privatizing the operation of prisons.
• PBC Podcast 279 Ex-Evangelical Leader Frank Schaeffer Says Michelle Bachman Lies About “Submission” and More; Will Durst Unloads on Congress Frank Schaeffer used to be an insider in the religious right–son of Reconstructionist preacher Francis Schaeffer, who is cited as a major influence on Michele Bachman. He issues a powerful indictment of her fundamentalism, and starts by calling her a liar about “submission” to her husband. Will Durst comments on the 12-member “Super Congress”.
- Ring of Fire Radio
Find us at http://ringoffireradio.com and http://goleft.tv/ hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder
Ring of Fire Radio - GoLeft TV - Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Papantonio, Sam Seder - Politics, Commentary, and News.
This Week on Ring of Fire! August 19, 2011
• This week on Ring of Fire: Actor, comedian, and documentary filmmaker Harry Shearer will join us to talk about his new documentary “The Big Uneasy.
• Author Frank Schaeffer will join us to talk about the radical right wing evangelicals who have helped shape Michelle Bachmann’s worldview.
• We’ll be talking with new MSNBC host Chris Hayes about how the gross income inequality in America is finally starting to hurt the elite on Wall Street.
• Robert Weissman, the president of Public Citizen, will be here to talk about how government regulations are helping to save American lives.
• Author Chris Mooney will talk with us about the continuing assault on climate science that has now infiltrated our school system.
• And political strategist and author Mike Lux will be here to tell us why our current economic policies are leading America to ruin.
• Join our blog at www.ringoffireradio.com. You can now SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST by clicking on the “Podcast” tab at the top of the Ring of Fire blog. Please help support progressive radio by signing up!
Ring of Fire Radio Ring of Fire, hosted by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., Mike Papantonio and Sam Seder: Saturdays at 3 o’clock Eastern, rebroadcasts Sunday nights at 8 pm (4 pm on XM 167) featuring The PAP Attack! "We’ll bring you the stories that the mainstream media didn’t feel like reporting this week."
- Majority Report with Sam Seder Streaming LIVE weekdays 11:30 am et @ Majority.fm!
• Dahlia Scheindlin of +972 Magazine on the Protests in Israel [08•15•11]
• Michelle Goldberg of The Daily Beast on A Christian Plot for Domination? [08•16•11]
• Peter Mougey Discusses Shareholder's Rights [08•17•11]
• Matt Taibbi talks...Is the SEC Covering Up Wall Street Crimes? [08•18•11]
• Cliff Schecter on Ohio SB5, Rick Perry and more! [08•19•11]
MORE Podcast Interviews at majorityreport.official.fm!
- On the Edge with Max Keiser Podcasts and more @ MaxKeiser.com!
"HI Y'ALL! Tell the people! Tell the people!"
WHO IS MAX KEISER? Max Keiser is a financial expert, Prediction Markets analyst, inventor and filmmaker. He is the creator of the Hollywood Stock Exchange (HSX) the first Prediction Market. Max Keiser co-hosts “The Truth About Markets” on ResonanceFM 104.4 in London. He also produces and presents documentary films covering markets and finance for Al Jazeera’s “People & Power” series. Max Keiser started his career on Wall Street in 1983. He is the creator of KarmaBanque a site that enables activists to challenge corporate power.
• VISIT PirateMyFilm.com!!! Crowd Funding for Pirates!
• VIDEO! The Official Silver Liberation Army! See SilverLiberationArmy.com !
• VIDEO! Max on the Big Screen!?!? Watch "Four Horsemen - Official Trailer"
• Watch How They Steal The Money READ Watch How They Steal The Money (24hgold.com) The amount of theft going on these days is immense. I thought I would catalog at least a few ways in which it is happening in Europe. This is not supposed to be a comprehensive list. I hope that some Matt Taibbi will compile some sort of record of these things. Real journalists are as rare as unicorns these days. Plus, they have a tendency to die suddenly. ... I think it is funny that people then get upset about "bankers' bonuses." As if that mattered, when crime of this magnitude is happening in front of your eyes. "You killed my mother and my brother and my sister, so I think you should wear less expensive shoes." This is the talk of slaves.
• Rick Perry solicited by Bank of America to perform unnatural banking acts – caught on video In Bedford, New Hampshire, an unknown gentlemen approaches a casual Perry like an Ian Flemming character, and proceeds to dead drop the following: “Bank of America… We will help you out”… and silently moves on & UPDATE: Blatant bribe and fraud by Bank of America soliciting Rick Perry – caught on tape. ZeroHedge identifies the Bank of America official offering his his company’s support to Texas Governor Rick Perry’s campaign as James Mahoney the Director of Public Policy for the bank. READ Bank Of America Executive To Rick Perry: “We’ll Help You Out”
• VIDEO! Max Keiser Standup Rage Mott St. NYC; August 2nd, 2011 In two parts, about 90 minutes. Must Watch!
• KEISER REPORT Keiser Report: Banking Looters (E173)
• KEISER REPORT [KR174] Keiser Report: Crimogenic UK We interview Richard Heinberg. define: crim·i·no·gen·ic
• THE TRUTH ABOUT MARKETS [TaM-1202] The Truth About The Holy Dial Tone – 13 August 2011. Download mp3 HERE Donations to ResonanceFM here.
• ON THE EDGE [OTE118] On the Edge with Yanis Varoufakis
• ON THE EDGE On the Edge with Dr. Michael Hudson Interview with Dr. Michael Hudson. Hudson maintains that President Obama’s second-term plan is to shrink US wages by 30% because his Chicago-school casino capitalist backers demand it.
- ANTIWAR RADIO with Scott Horton
LIVE (9-11am Pacific, 12pm - 2pm Eastern) Plenty of archives too!
Listen at antiwar.com/radio
• Pepe Escobar August 15, 2011: Pepe Escobar, journalist and author of Obama Does Globalistan, discusses why his article “Why the Syrian regime won’t fall” could prove false if major demonstrations break out in the largest urban areas, including Damascus and Aleppo; whether Turkey’s mediation can prevent the slaughter of civilian protesters in the street; the despots-in-waiting groomed by Saudi Arabia to fill vacancies in Syria and Yemen; the proposed Saudi Arabian “anti-terrorism” law that would send critics of the regime to prison for ten years; the crushed rebellion in Bahrain, thanks to stormtroopers from the GCC; and why we shouldn’t hold our breath for a democratic reform government in Yemen.
• David Swanson August 16, 2011: David Swanson, author of War is a Lie, discusses “The Military Industrial Complex at 50” national conference in Charlottesville, VA from September 16-18; the paltry defense spending cuts decried by Defense Secretary Leon Panetta as a “doomsday mechanism” that will endanger national security; how Swanson helped turn former Congressman Bill Delahunt against the wars; and Paul Krugman’s half-serious plan to boost the economy by preparing for an alien invasion.
• Chris Hellman August 16, 2011: Chris Hellman, Senior Research Analyst for the National Priorities Project, discusses his article “How Safe Are You? What Almost $8 Trillion in National Security Spending Bought You” at tomdispatch.com; how cutting projected DoD spending increases could solve future government spending cuts mandated by the recent debt ceiling compromise; why the homeland security industry needs to hype terrorism threats to justify hefty budgets in a time of austerity; why casual readers of Antiwar.com know more about foreign policy than nearly everyone in Congress; and the F-22 “mafia” that greased palms and twisted arms until the project was green-lighted.
• Jason Ditz August 18, 2011: Jason Ditz, managing news editor at Antiwar.com, discusses why Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s “turn towards dictatorship” is deemed beneficial to the US; reneging on a promise to put the 2008 Iraq Status of Forces Agreement to a popular referendum; five months of Libyan rebels claiming imminent victory; why, winning or not, the rebels are not the bastions of democracy; whether the NATO bombing campaign is saving civilians, or extending a bloody civil war; and how a 2012 breakthrough in Libya could help Obama’s reelection campaign.
Many more interviews at Antiwar Radio!
• former Bush White House Senior Adviser Karl Rove
• former Obama White House Deputy Communications Director Bill Burton.
• former Senator Rick Santorum
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brick TeeVee - THEY report. YOU throw bricks. ©
We're here because you're there. ©
First brick is on us!
Get your Foam Bricks at ThrowThings.com HERE!
FAIR USE: Regarding postings which may contain material published online by various sources: This site may present material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We present such material available in an effort to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is presented without charge to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. See: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml